TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #5131
Krandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmeister View Post
Krandor;

Thx for the reply.

I went ahead and setup the box and everything came together...!

Now, with the phone call to CC I am wondering what is going to happen when I get the Tivo 3 unit and the new HD setup....! $2.00 per month plus a truck roll for $17.00. (yeah I am cheap tightwad but I really dont' want is a contract with CC)...

(a bit off topic) Anyone got any suggestions for the wireless adapter??...
And universal remote?

Thx...

H.
Unless you are in a market that lets you pick up your cablecard from CC, there isn't much of a way to get around the fees and truck rolls. If they require a truck roll, you gotta pay it.

For wireless adapters, probably best to just get the TiVo one. That is also the only one they officially support on the S3/HD units.

For Universal remotes, look at Harmony. Not cheap, but IMO the best universal remotes out there. You program things by function "like watch TV" and then with the one button it will configure all your gear appropriately (for example, turn on TV and set to video 1, turn on AMP and set to video 1, turn on video select box and set to input 3). It is great to have it configure all of gear in my setup with a single button press.
Krandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #5132
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
Unless you are in a market that lets you pick up your cablecard from CC, there isn't much of a way to get around the fees and truck rolls. If they require a truck roll, you gotta pay it.
A common way around it has been to call Comcast and ask if you can pick them up, be told yes, go to pick them up and be told it re1uires a truck roll. At that point, because you showed up under bad advice that came from their CSRs, they usually offer to credit for the truck roll.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #5133
ninjadvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post
Does test channels work with the new card in the old box. I think the tivo stores the channel list from the card, so on the old box, it's just using the stored channel list. Since the new box has only had the improperly configured card, it's not going to work until your cable company sends the INIT hit to it. You may also want to check the vctid is the same between the two cards. You can see this on the network cablecard screen. If the new card's set to 0, the card never got an init message.
Slightly off topic because my channels work but in terms of the electronic program guide, that doesn't appear to be affected by a hit from comcast. When I had my two cablecards installed in my Series3 a week or so ago, I did notice initially after all the channels were working on both tuners (inc. premium) that the guide did not reflect all the channels. The guide had been previously set up by me a couple of weeks before with antenna and basic cable, so the Series3 appeared to save the guide data regardless of the card installation. Whether that would eventually update by itself I don't know, but after the tech left I repeated guided setup and by doing that it corrected and showed all channels in the electronic program guide - no problems since installation.
ninjadvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #5134
MAFletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
MAFletch,
When talking to them, point out this page on the Comcast website, which details pricing for cablecards. The people you are talking to are wrong.

The same thing happened to me when I first called Comcast to ask about cablecards. They swore up and down that cablecards cost $15 per month. Once I calmly pointed out this web page to them and asked them to reconcile it with what they were telling me, they hemmed and hawed, then put me on hold numerous times to speak with their supervisors. Finally, they came to understand that the $15 is actually the primary outlet fee, which I am already paying, so the card is free. Additional cards should cost $1.50/mo or be free. You may have to pay to have them come out for the install, but that's about it.

I don't think it's anything malicious on Comcast's part, I just think that cablecards are a new product that they are really unfamiliar with, and there is a lot of misunderstanding regarding them throughout the company, both on pricing and installation. Just show them the pricing page, be firm, and make them explain why they are telling you something different from their website. If they look into it, they will realize that they are wrong.
I think the devil is in the details. Paying less than $1.91 per card per month is totally reasonable. HOWEVER, the 2 fees that make cablecards unreasonably priced are the Additional Outlet fee of $6.50 and HD Service Fee of $6.95 FOR EACH CARD! (In reading various threads these A/O fees and HD fees appear to vary by location.) I specifically indicated to all 3 people I've spoken to, including the representative in the Comcast's Office of the president (SE Devision) that the 2 cards we wanted to get were for use with the only TV in the house and they were adamant that this did not matter. My expectation of showing them their FAQ on cablecard pricing is that they would say they were living up to what it said. I think their arguement would be that the cost of the cards they are offering ARE less than $1.91 each, BUT there are SERVICE FEES in addition. I think it is the distinction of EQUIPMENT RENTAL fees versus SERVICE fees where they like to pull their smoke and mirrors act. NOWHERE can I find how Comcast defines PRIMARY OUTLET and ADDITIONAL OUTLET with their digitial service and therein lies the problem. My interpretation is an OUTLET=TV+CONNECTED ADDRESABLE EQUIPMENT and I think their interpretation is an OUTLET=1 PIECE OF ADDRESSABLE EQUIPMENT (regardless of how it's connected), thus with 1 HD cable box and 2 cable cards connected to 1 TV, Comcast sees a primary and 2 additional outlets and I only see 1 primary. I am assuming this interpretation is somewhat new. I came across a post (which I am trying to relocate) from a Comcast customer in south Florida with multiple cable cards that they had for quite awhile and just recently saw these additional service charges added to their bill beyond the expected rental fees.
MAFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #5135
bd2007

I was told by Comcast when I placed my initial that my cable card would cost $1.50/month. Today, I disputed that charge by showing them this page on their website. I got the charge dropped. They tried to tell me that my Tivo has 2 cards, but I insisted there was only one.

Comcast customers should check their bills and get this charge dropped if they only have one card in their Tivo.
bd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #5136
pl1

Returned cableCARD nightmare ready to happen

I returned two cableCARDs the other day. I expected to see an automatic removal of the A/O charges for $5.00 each per month. NOT! I talked to a CSR via chat and I was told the A/O charges were not for the cableCARDs, they were for the Additional Outlets. I told him I had ONE outlet, it is a TiVo. He said he would credit me $10.00. Fine, but what about future A/O fees? He said it would be fixed on my next bill.

Here's the pain I'm expecting when I get home. That the removal of the A/O affects the wrong cableCARDs and I have no service. Or, he did nothing, and I still have monthly A/O charges. Comcast claims that they need to enter A/O charges in order for the cableCARDs to work, so why wouldn't the return of the cableCARDs automatically remove the monthly charges? Call me totally confused with this company.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #5137
PaulNEPats

Yep, I got hit with the price increase as well. $5 per CableCard...
PaulNEPats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #5138
pl1

Update removing A/O charges

I am on hold with a Comcast CSR. When she tries to remove the Additional Outlet charges of $5 extra per month, the computer won't let her remove it. It says it needs a cable box. So, they called it a computer glitch. But, at least someone there knows what is "supposed" to be done. The last CSR didn't.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #5139
markp99
TakoKichi

The new $5 per cable card charge appeared on this month's bill, bumped up from $2.75 each last month.

The Comcast rep noted this was an error. The correct rate for 2 cable cards int the SAME unit is:

$5.00 for the 1st card, $1.50 for the second

The rep gave me the $3.50 credit and adjusted the "codes" in their billing system to hopefully get it right next month.

So, the net for us is +$1 for the cable cards.

Other *happy* Comcast surprises this month:

Digital Silver: $36.25 => $39.45
Digital Starter: $55.44 => $58.35

This puts our cable/internet bill just over $200/mo. OUCH!!
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #5140
pl1

Update on Additional Outlet Fees

The Comcast rep returned the call (Majorly impressed) and finally they figured out the problem. They needed to add Digital Starter to my account in order to remove the Additional Outlet charges. So my bill will go up an additional $2 per month in order to remove the 2 A/O (additional Outlet) charges of $10/mo. What a piece of work Comcast is. I won't be shocked if my cable is off when I get home.

EDIT: I should add that they had NO PROBLEM adding the 3 A/O charges when the cableCARDs were installed 2 times in the last 1.5 years.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #5141
pl1

Continuing A/O removal status

Well, I finally got somewhere. I still do not understand why I have to pay $2/mo. just to remove an A/O. So, my A/O went up from $2.75/mo. to $7.00/mo.

I wonder if it's time to complain to the FCC or some other regulatory commission. $7.00/mo. and no cable box?

Note: Even though there is a credit for $20, it should be for $10. The other $10 is from a chat session with someone who did not understand what was going on.

Quote:
--- --- ACCESS FEE $ -1.04
02-20-08 02-20-08 STANDARD CABLE 02/20 TO 03/20 $ -55.96
02-20-08 02-20-08 DS CCARD 02/20 TO 03/20 $ 0.00
02-20-08 02-20-08 DIGITAL STARTER ($56.23) 02/20 TO 03/20 $ 58.02 02-20-08 02-20-08 CHANGE OF SERVICE $ 0.00
02-20-08 02-20-08 DIG PREFERRED W/SHO 02/20 TO 03/20 $ -29.35
02-20-08 02-20-08 DIG PREFERRED W/SHO 02/20 TO 03/20 $ 29.35
02-20-08 02-20-08 ADD'L DIGITAL OUTLET(S): 02/20 TO 03/20 $ -5.16
02-20-08 02-20-08 ADD'L DIGITAL OUTLET(S): 02/20 TO 03/20 $ -5.16
02-20-08 02-14-08 ADD'L DIGITAL OUTLET(S): $ -5.00
02-20-08 02-14-08 ADD'L DIGITAL OUTLET(S): $ -5.00

Total $ -19.30

Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #5142
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
I wonder if it's time to complain to the FCC or some other regulatory commission. $7.00/mo. and no cable box?
I plan on filling a complaint with my PUC
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #5143
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I plan on filling a complaint with my PUC
I was thinking of that as well. Do you think there might be enough interest here in this forum to start a campaign letter to the FCC?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #5144
drhankz

Quote:
I was thinking of that as well. Do you think there might be enough interest here in this forum to start a campaign letter to the FCC?
I doubt the FCC will do anything. I think the PUC
is better setup to deal with price increases.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #5145
drhankz

Quote:
I just finished computing the 37% price increase.

That will be my complaint to the PUC.

FYI - your PUC is listed on the last page of your bill.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #5146
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I just finished computing the 37% price increase.

That will be my complaint to the PUC.

FYI - your PUC is listed on the last page of your bill.
Oh, OK, thanks. I will do the same. If there are enough complaints maybe someone will take notice.

BTW, my inrease is 155% from $2.75/mo. to $7.00/mo. for one additional outlet. (2.75 x 2.55).
Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #5147
drhankz

Quote:
Oh, OK, thanks. I will do the same. If there are enough complaints maybe someone will take notice.

BTW, my inrease is 155% from $2.75/mo. to $7.00/mo. for one additional outlet. (2.75 x 2.55).
When you look at it that way - I agree but the
PUC will probably look at it more in terms of
the 40% increase which is what my access
section of the BILL increased.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #5148
riekl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFletch View Post
I think the devil is in the details. Paying less than $1.91 per card per month is totally reasonable. HOWEVER, the 2 fees that make cablecards unreasonably priced are the Additional Outlet fee of $6.50 and HD Service Fee of $6.95 FOR EACH CARD! (In reading various threads these A/O fees and HD fees appear to vary by location.) I specifically indicated to all 3 people I've spoken to, including the representative in the Comcast's Office of the president (SE Devision) that the 2 cards we wanted to get were for use with the only TV in the house and they were adamant that this did not matter. My expectation of showing them their FAQ on cablecard pricing is that they would say they were living up to what it said. I think their arguement would be that the cost of the cards they are offering ARE less than $1.91 each, BUT there are SERVICE FEES in addition. I think it is the distinction of EQUIPMENT RENTAL fees versus SERVICE fees where they like to pull their smoke and mirrors act. NOWHERE can I find how Comcast defines PRIMARY OUTLET and ADDITIONAL OUTLET with their digitial service and therein lies the problem. My interpretation is an OUTLET=TV+CONNECTED ADDRESABLE EQUIPMENT and I think their interpretation is an OUTLET=1 PIECE OF ADDRESSABLE EQUIPMENT (regardless of how it's connected), thus with 1 HD cable box and 2 cable cards connected to 1 TV, Comcast sees a primary and 2 additional outlets and I only see 1 primary. I am assuming this interpretation is somewhat new. I came across a post (which I am trying to relocate) from a Comcast customer in south Florida with multiple cable cards that they had for quite awhile and just recently saw these additional service charges added to their bill beyond the expected rental fees.
You are being completely ripped off. It does NOT vary by location. There is NO HD or A/O fee per card. For example if you have 2 Tivo HD's and no Comcast boxes and need 4 single stream cards :

Card 1 : Free (primary outlet)
Card 2 : 1.50-1.95

Card 3 : 6.95 (a/o)
Card 4 : 1.50-1.95

Thats it .. no HD fee ever, and only one a/o fee per box (beyond your first). That is system wide.
riekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #5149
pl1

Double Posting In Error
Old 02-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #5150
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekl View Post
You are being completely ripped off. It does NOT vary by location. There is NO HD or A/O fee per card. For example if you have 2 Tivo HD's and no Comcast boxes and need 4 single stream cards :

Card 1 : Free (primary outlet)
Card 2 : 1.50-1.95

Card 3 : 6.95 (a/o)
Card 4 : 1.50-1.95

Thats it .. no HD fee ever, and only one a/o fee per box (beyond your first). That is system wide.
If what you say is true, why was the North East area recently being charged $2.75/mo per A/O? And why has it just been increased to $5.00/mo. per A/O? That is because it IS different in different areas. You need to look at your annual price list.

EDIT: Plus, no charge for the physical cableCARD.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #5151
hybucket

Quick report on my cable card install in Boston.
Guy came, knew what he was doing, installed card, made call, waited on hold 16 mintues, activated card, checked channels including pay, and left.
After he was gone, I reran guided setup. When it was through, had a dark screen. No channels. Nothing. Called Comcast. They had no idea. Called TiVO. Call was answered in minutes. Guy knew exactly what he was talking about. Did reboot. Everything fine. Great to have TiVO back on Comcast. TiVO CSR, great. I'm sure not all are, guess I was just lucky.
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #5152
gothboy

This might only apply to Comcast NE...

Turns out I was being charged wrong for cablecards all this time as well. I have 1 S3 with 2 cablecards, had been getting charged the $2.75 A/O charge when I should have been getting charged the $1.50 additional card/same device charge. Took me 3 reps and an escalation to executive services to get them to correct the error.

If you've been getting hit with the $2.75 A/O charge for a single S3, I suggest starting out by telling them that particular fee increase was NOT listed in their fee adjustment notice sent out in January and point them to the section detailing "additional card/same device". if you still get pushback from them, bring up that it's illegal to up your rates without notice and there is -zero- notice regarding the $2.75-$5 A/O fee increase.

I got a refund for all the months I was charged $1.25 extra for the cablecard, which was considerable since I bought my S3 when they first hit the shelves.
gothboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #5153
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothboy View Post
This might only apply to Comcast NE...

Turns out I was being charged wrong for cablecards all this time as well. I have 1 S3 with 2 cablecards, had been getting charged the $2.75 A/O charge when I should have been getting charged the $1.50 additional card/same device charge. Took me 3 reps and an escalation to executive services to get them to correct the error.

If you've been getting hit with the $2.75 A/O charge for a single S3, I suggest starting out by telling them that particular fee increase was NOT listed in their fee adjustment notice sent out in January and point them to the section detailing "additional card/same device". if you still get pushback from them, bring up that it's illegal to up your rates without notice and there is -zero- notice regarding the $2.75-$5 A/O fee increase.

I got a refund for all the months I was charged $1.25 extra for the cablecard, which was considerable since I bought my S3 when they first hit the shelves.
The rate increase is certainly in my insert this month. The question is, do you have premium services like SHO or HBO? I get charged ZERO for the cableCARDs themselves.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #5154
gothboy

Quote:
The rate increase is certainly in my insert this month. The question is, do you have premium services like SHO or HBO? I get charged ZERO for the cableCARDs themselves.

I had been getting charged $2.75 for "Cablecard A/O". $2.75 != $3.51 and no, I do not have any premium sevices as indicated on that line item. I'm saying they upped my "Cablecard A/O" charge without notification.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #5155
pl1

Quote:
I had been getting charged $2.75 for "Cablecard A/O". $2.75 != $3.51 and no, I do not have any premium sevices as indicated on that line item. I'm saying they upped my "Cablecard A/O" charge without notification.
I had an insert in my paper bill a month ago as well as with my on-line bill. It spelled out all of the increases. You should go to your local office and get the current rate sheet.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #5156
gothboy

Quote:
I had an insert in my paper bill a month ago as well as with my on-line bill. It spelled out all of the increases. You should go to your local office and get the current rate sheet.
I have the rate increase sheet, all four pages of it. It does not list my charge of $2.75 at all, check yours too. This is a point of leverage to use with Comcast, as it is illegal to raise any rate without telling you in writing.

If you were getting charged a $2.75 fee for your second cable card, you should have them adjust it retroactively to the correct charge of $1.50, using my example as leverage.

These are New England prices, YMMV.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #5157
pl1

Quote:
I have the rate increase sheet, all four pages of it. It does not list my charge of $2.75 at all, check yours too. This is a point of leverage to use with Comcast, as it is illegal to raise any rate without telling you in writing.

If you were getting charged a $2.75 fee for your second cable card, you should have them adjust it retroactively to the correct charge of $1.50, using my example as leverage.

These are New England prices, YMMV.
I showed you the price sheet. I am from the Boston area. Yes, it says $3.51/mo plus $1.50/mo for the second card in each device. It was $2.75 the year before and they did not increase it to $3.51/mo.
To this day, they have not charged the $1.50/mo. for the second card in the same device. This year they DID increase it to $5.00 as per this price list.

Now, that being said, it sounds like I am defending Comcast. Nothing could be farther from the truth. They were supposed to make these cards available at a nominal fee. What they have done is found away to get around the cableCARD fee by tacking on an ADDITIONAL OUTLET for digital HD services. Anything above Digital Starter I think. And the increase is probably attributable to the fact that more and more people are getting cableCARDs and dumping the Comcast DVR which is close to $20/mo.

EDIT: This is the cableCARD fee from my insert. To reiterate. They HAVE NOT been charging for this so far.

Last edited by pl1 : 02-22-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #5158
gothboy

They must have slipped that one by me, it' not in any of my bills from the past year. Still they never implemented the increase, so their loss. It is a charge I shouldn't have been billed for anyway. I mean their policy specifically lists that S3 as being a single outlet device. Therefore, my getting charged the Additional Outlet fee was in error no matter how you look at it. I have 1 HD device in the house and that's the TiVo S3, the TV does not have a cablecard, nor is it hooked up. I was being billed incorrectly and am trying to help those that have also been billed incorrectly by Comcast's complete lack of CSR education when it comes to cablecards and TiVos.

There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use as it is already included in the primary outlet fee. If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $1.91 for the second CableCARD.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #5159
pl1

Quote:
There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use as it is already included in the primary outlet fee. If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $1.91 for the second CableCARD.
This is such old news, and has been discussed ad nauseam. I do NOT disagree with you one bit. Even though that is the Comcast overall policy, they follow their own regional rules. It is different in every region. I do wish they would follow their own company-wide rules. It would make everyone a lot happier.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #5160
bizzy

Its not even regional, it's per-CSR. And you'll have a hell of a time reversing whatever opinion the first CSR to touch your account has. They are like the cable supreme court.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote