TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
RBeatse

Marriage of Tivotees

Just got married and moved into a new house. As I have been connecting the TiVo units up to the network (wireless), I have been able to get bot Series 2 units (one was mine and one was my bride's) connected just fine. Both units are set to allow data transfers and in the Now Playing menu, each has the other as a folder that it can see is there.
However, on either unit, when you select the other unit's folder it says that there is nothing in the Now Playing of that unit. Could it be because the two TiVo's are not on the same account? And if so, how do I get them on same account?

Thanks
RBeatse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Mike Farrington

They absolutely need to be on the same account. Just call up Tivo, with your bride to be next to you, and have one unit transferred to the other's account. If you are paying monthly, you should then be eligible for a discount off the 2nd unit's monthly fee.

Once completed, you'll need to force a call on each unit to get them talking to each other.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
headroll
Let em' Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington View Post
Once completed, you'll need to force a call on each unit to get them talking to each other.

No need to force it, just let it happen naturally.
Whos account will be primary now?
headroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
RBeatse

Quote:
Originally Posted by headroll View Post
No need to force it, just let it happen naturally.
Whos account will be primary now?
Probably mine will be primary. I have lifetime service on mine and hers is a monthly payment. I am guessing that it will make more sense to do it that way.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
ciper

Her monthly cost should drop to 9.95 if you do it.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
Her monthly cost should drop to 9.95 if you do it.
He's putting her's under his account. So her monthly price will drop to $0, and his will increase to $9.95.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington View Post
He's putting her's under his account. So her monthly price will drop to $0, and his will increase to $9.95.
If thats the case why not just cancel hers?

I cant imagine they plan to spend time watching TV at the same time but in two different rooms...
Old 02-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Mike Farrington

Quote:
If thats the case why not just cancel hers?

I cant imagine they plan to spend time watching TV at the same time but in two different rooms...
Having multiple TiVo's doesn't mean that have to be in simultaneous operation. That's the beauty of MRV. Continuing a show at a different location... the bedroom perhaps.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
ciper

Tivo + Slingbox + wireless network could accomplish true "multi room viewing" with no restriction on the destination or monthly fee...
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
nirisahn

Quote:
Tivo + Slingbox + wireless network could accomplish true "multi room viewing" with no restriction on the destination or monthly fee...
But this won't allow you to record multiple programs at the same time. Isn't that why we all have multiple TiVos?
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
But this won't allow you to record multiple programs at the same time. Isn't that why we all have multiple TiVos?
I incorrectly assumed he had an S2DT. Personally I'd just go for a THD
Old 02-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
RBeatse

Thanks for all of the responses. We were able to call TiVo and have them do the work to switch them to my account. Surprisingly, this can take "anywhere from 5-7 days"!! I am amazed that anything can take that long these days but it hasn't gone through yet.

In answer to the other questions, yes her monthly service fee will go to $0 and my account will increase to $6.95 since she has had it for so long. We have two so that we can record things at different times and, although newlyweds, we do have some different choices in what we watch. Eventually we will add an HD TiVo but that will be a few months away and then we'll have 3. Maybe by then all of the bugs will be worked out of the Comcast HD TiVo.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
atlynch
Person

Quote:
Can you explain this? Do you then view on a computer in the secondary location?

-Drew
Motorola M Cablecards on Comcast Cable
atlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #14
dmlove51

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlynch View Post

-Drew

You could view it on a computer in the second location, or you can connect the computer in the second location to the TV and watch it on the TV (however, the virtual remote will still be on the computer). Personally, I think it would be a pain considering how often we do MRV (we do use Slingbox, and love it, but only when we're out of town).
dmlove51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #15
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlynch View Post
Yes, anything that runs Windows or OSX or Windows Mobile or Palm or Symbian. It will automatically adjust the stream to fit the current network connection. This means on local LAN you get instant response with very high bitrates.

I often put my laptop on the kitchen counter and play an episode of Good Eats while I cook (its a cooking show). I also often bring my laptop to the bathroom so I can watch the news while I sit on my throne

On the flip side I can connect to 256k DSL and still view my Tivo on the opposite side of the planet.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #16
atlynch
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlove51 View Post
You could view it on a computer in the second location, or you can connect the computer in the second location to the TV and watch it on the TV (however, the virtual remote will still be on the computer). Personally, I think it would be a pain considering how often we do MRV (we do use Slingbox, and love it, but only when we're out of town).
Thanks for the responses. I was looking for a better solution for my current multiroom system. I currently have a TV each place I want to watch TV, and my TiVos are in a central location. My current system uses a multi channel RF modulator. Works ok, no stereo, will not be good enough when one or more of the remote TVs goes HD.

-D
Motorola M Cablecards on Comcast Cable
atlynch is offline   Reply With Quote