TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #2881
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstreet View Post
Ah, ok.

So, a different question, does anyone know if TWC in Raleigh still requires a truck roll for CableCard installs or has anyone been able to just pick it up at the counter? Has anyone been able to pick up a CableCard from the TWC counter anywhere?
Still requires a truck roll though considering it took them almost 8 hours to an M-card working, I'm pretty sure they lost money on the install fee on this one. (One small victory for us... )
Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #2882
Lorcane

Can someone post a pic of what a motorola m-card looks like? The TW guy left at 8:30pm (he has been here since 6:00pm) and my cable cards still are not working right. We tried 4 different cards. The cable card operator said they where m-cards and set the system up that way. The local dispatcher said they are m-cards, however; my TiVo says they are s-cards. The TW guy and I agreed that the M on the card was just the motorola logo, same one that is on the razr. The TW guy rescheduled an appointment for my tomorrow at 3:30pm and he is going to come out again. I'm hoping that the local cable card dude knows what to do. He goes home at 5pm. Again I'm looking for a way to tell from just looking at the cable card if it is an m-card or s-card.
Lorcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #2883
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcane View Post
Can someone post a pic of what a motorola m-card looks like? The TW guy left at 8:30pm (he has been here since 6:00pm) and my cable cards still are not working right. We tried 4 different cards. The cable card operator said they where m-cards and set the system up that way. The local dispatcher said they are m-cards, however; my TiVo says they are s-cards. The TW guy and I agreed that the M on the card was just the motorola logo, same one that is on the razr. The TW guy rescheduled an appointment for my tomorrow at 3:30pm and he is going to come out again. I'm hoping that the local cable card dude knows what to do. He goes home at 5pm. Again I'm looking for a way to tell from just looking at the cable card if it is an m-card or s-card.
You didnt say which TiVo you have. The S3 will always call an M-Card an S-Card as it uses it in S-Card mode.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:12 AM   #2884
noname_com

CABLEGUY763 --- I am here in austin and want to say thank you for all your help with the TWC customers on this forum. It goes way beyond the call of duty. If you are ever at the draught house or gingerman here in austin give me a shout out, you will have an open invitation for a pint on me. or if homebrew is your thing I will set you some aside the next time i brew. You deserve it. I cannot imagine where most of these people would be right now with out the help of a cableguy763. A BIG SHOUT OUT AND THANK YOU!!! I am sure this goes for alot of other people on this forum as well.
noname_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:36 AM   #2885
Lorcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
You didnt say which TiVo you have. The S3 will always call an M-Card an S-Card as it uses it in S-Card mode.
I have an HD TiVo. I still would like to see a pic or a way to physically exam a cable card and tell if it is an M-card or S-card. The pic on the motorola website shows M-Cards as being red and saying M-Card on them, but I'm not sure if that is the real image or a placeholder image.

I currently have only 1 card installed, and it is allowing me to tune any non-encrytped channels, however; when I look at the conditional access screen I do not have a vaild host number, and most fields are either unknown or 0. The connected field says yes.

Last edited by Lorcane : 02-14-2008 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Thought of more to add
Old 02-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #2886
briangraf

Hello everyone.

I have a Series 3 Tivo, which I am trying to get hooked up with Time Warner Cable (formerly Adelphia) in Northeast Ohio. I had an installer out last weekend to install the CableCARDs. He brought two S-cards, the first worked immediately, the second started a firmware upgrade, which the Tivo said could take up to an hour to complete. The installer left while this was in progress and told me that I would likely need to call into their office to get my cards activated once the update was complete. After 9 hours of waiting for the upgrade, I gave up, ejected the bad card and happily used my Tivo in single tuner mode while waiting for another truck roll to replace the bad card.

I had the installer scheduled to come last night between 6pm and 8pm - so that I could be home to make sure it went well. The installer called my house at 4:00 and asked my wife if he could come by early. She agreed - i had given her basic instructions in case i was late. When the installer got there, he confidently told her that the problem was that our tivo didn't need two S cards, it needed 1 M-card. She had no reason to doubt him and he even showed her a variety of channels as "evidence" that it worked. Of course, they didn't try the dual tuner functionality - as that wouldn't have been possible with a single M-Card in a Series 3.

So, I get home. See that clearly there is only one tuner working and call Time Warner back. After 20 minutes on the phone waiting for the CS rep to relay my questions to "dispatch", I'm told that two turners simply wont work in my tivo and that if I want more of an explaination than that, I will have to wait 48 hours for someone to call me to give me an explaination - i'm not holding my breath.

I called back to CS and got a different rep. Asked to scehedule another CableCARD install and was told that my account was flagged and that they refused to provide a second card.

Any ideas? Am I stuck?
briangraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #2887
dm-mm
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangraf View Post
Time Warner Cable (formerly Adelphia) in Northeast Ohio.
Which area of former-Adelphia are you in?

I have a working S3 with two cards. My head-end is in New Philadephia.
dm-mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #2888
briangraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm-mm View Post
Which area of former-Adelphia are you in?

I have a working S3 with two cards. My head-end is in New Philadephia.
Macedonia
Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #2889
dm-mm
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangraf View Post
Macedonia
Quote:

TWC NEO web site, complaint resolution notice:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/north...c_notices.html

VP of Operations
Time Warner Cable
5520 Whipple Avenue NW
North Canton, OH 44720

Fax: 330-490-2557
Voice: 888-860-1420
I had to get them involved with my initial installation. Be polite but firm and you'll get results.
dm-mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #2890
DaveDFW

I'm with TWC in Dallas, and I just had two cablecards in an S3 show as unpaired today. The conditional access screen showed "Val:?" which means it's not working.

(I have two others in another S3 that were unaffected.)

I tried to get the first-line phone support to check the numbers, but she absolutely wasn't interested, "Yeah yeah yeah, they look fine."

So of course TWC required a truck roll for this. So when the tech arrived, I heard him talking to dispatch, who told him to check the data numbers, as they'd been having problems with those changing.

Sure enough, when we compared the host ID and data displayed on Tivo with those in TWC's system, the datas were completely different.

This sounds very weird--is this a head end problem with TWC, or is Tivo spontaneously changing its data numbers?

This particular S3 has been up and working for at least two months with no issues.

Anyway, it ended up being a 5-minute service call to repair the cards' configuration.

TTYL
David
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #2891
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I'm with TWC in Dallas, and I just had two cablecards in an S3 show as unpaired today. The conditional access screen showed "Val:?" which means it's not working.

(I have two others in another S3 that were unaffected.)

I tried to get the first-line phone support to check the numbers, but she absolutely wasn't interested, "Yeah yeah yeah, they look fine."

So of course TWC required a truck roll for this. So when the tech arrived, I heard him talking to dispatch, who told him to check the data numbers, as they'd been having problems with those changing.

Sure enough, when we compared the host ID and data displayed on Tivo with those in TWC's system, the datas were completely different.

This sounds very weird--is this a head end problem with TWC, or is Tivo spontaneously changing its data numbers?

This particular S3 has been up and working for at least two months with no issues.

Anyway, it ended up being a 5-minute service call to repair the cards' configuration.

TTYL
David
The host id with your Tivo will always stay the same. Sounds like they screwed something up.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #2892
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
The host id with your Tivo will always stay the same. Sounds like they screwed something up.
Yes, neither of my host IDs had changed, but the next line on the pairing screen, "data," was different. I'm not sure where the data numbers come from--are they embedded in the cablecards?

TTYL
David
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #2893
briangraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm-mm View Post
I had to get them involved with my initial installation. Be polite but firm and you'll get results.
Thank you very much! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Update: It took a little over a week, but TW responded to my letter of complaint. They say that they will be sending "their best technician" with another CC this coming Tuesday (3/4/2008). Will update again with the results. Thanks again dm-mm.

Last edited by briangraf : 02-29-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: updated
Old 02-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #2894
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
Yes, neither of my host IDs had changed, but the next line on the pairing screen, "data," was different. I'm not sure where the data numbers come from--are they embedded in the cablecards?

TTYL
David
Yes, the cable card id is tied to each cable card. Sounds like somebody fat fingered the keyboard when in the billing system.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #2895
Lorcane

Yippie...
Got 1 cable card working in my TiVoHD. took an hour talking with the tech's tech over the phone. I'm glad the guy who first tried to installed my cable cards left me that number. I did have to reboot the TiVoHD after the card finally got subscribed, for some reason the wrong tuner in the TiVoHD got assigned to the wrong cable card. The guy I talked to on the phone couldn't tell me how to visually inspect a cable card and know if its an M-card or S-card. He said they all look the same. At least now I have all my HBO and encrypted channels. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the 2nd card up and running.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #2896
drumdude

Dealing with HD Tivo and TWC has been the worst experience! After about 25 visits they finally got my 3 Tivo's working. It definitely was more trouble than it's worth. In a year I plan to switch back to DirecTV.
drumdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #2897
Lorcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdude View Post
Dealing with HD Tivo and TWC has been the worst experience! After about 25 visits they finally got my 3 Tivo's working. It definitely was more trouble than it's worth. In a year I plan to switch back to DirecTV.
I don't think it is TiVo's fault. I last night I finally found someone who knew what they were doing... took 30 minutes to get the card intialized, activated and subscribed. TWC needs to train their people better in the region where I live. What worries me is in the Austin area a few hundred miles north of me, TWC is starting to used alot of the digital switch channels. My line up only as a few, like the west coast HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime. I'm not sure if TWC is doing that because they need more channels or if they just want to make us cable card user suffer more for not using their cable boxes. Either way my region is so far behind, we only have about 12 HD channels in the line up.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #2898
MicahG

Hey everyone! I've been reading over pretty much this whole post and it's been totally helpful. I'm currently a TW Digital Cable subscriber with DVR-STB and am really considering the move to Tivo. I wanted to just reconfirm some things that are kind of lingering for me.

Going Tivo with TW CableCard is definitely cheaper than using the STB right? I'm really trying to cut back on bills

Also, with the CC... the way it works is that the CC(s) are plugged in to the Tivo and I receive programming through that. And the cost of the CC's vary, but seems like they are around $1.75 in my area (Huntington Beach, CA). Is there any other programming costs on top of that $1.75/mo? Like does it work the same as the STB where I have to pay certain amounts for certain Tiers? Or does the CC gives me all the channels it's capable of and I'm simply just paying the $1.75/mo?

I really appreciate how helpful this thread and forum has been and I'm really looking forward to joining the Tivo community!

Micah
MicahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #2899
Pars22

TWC on Tivo

I'm considering moving from my TWC Explorer 8300HD to a Tivo S3 for the better video quality but a woman from TWC (that did not appear to be very knowledgable) told me in addition to losing In-Demand that there would be other HD channels that I would lose. She couldn't get specific on which ones - it sounded like a lame job of keeping me from switching to Tivo -

Is anyone aware of channels that are unavailable if using Tivo S3 and CC's?

Any plans on the S3 being functional w/bi-directional CC's?

Thanks for your expertise!
Pars22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #2900
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahG View Post
Hey everyone! I've been reading over pretty much this whole post and it's been totally helpful. I'm currently a TW Digital Cable subscriber with DVR-STB and am really considering the move to Tivo. I wanted to just reconfirm some things that are kind of lingering for me.

Going Tivo with TW CableCard is definitely cheaper than using the STB right? I'm really trying to cut back on bills

Also, with the CC... the way it works is that the CC(s) are plugged in to the Tivo and I receive programming through that. And the cost of the CC's vary, but seems like they are around $1.75 in my area (Huntington Beach, CA). Is there any other programming costs on top of that $1.75/mo? Like does it work the same as the STB where I have to pay certain amounts for certain Tiers? Or does the CC gives me all the channels it's capable of and I'm simply just paying the $1.75/mo?

I really appreciate how helpful this thread and forum has been and I'm really looking forward to joining the Tivo community!

Micah
The TiVo with CableCARDs will replace your set top box. Whether it will be cheaper monthly with TiVo subscription + CableCARD rentals, not counting the cost of the TiVo, depends on what you have now, and what service tiers you have - a cable DVR often costs more than a TiVo, but a cable box will generally cost less. You'd need to look at the costs where you live.

You will still need to subscribe to the tiers, just like with a cable box. The only thing the CableCARDs do is replace the cable box.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #2901
Lorcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars22 View Post
I'm considering moving from my TWC Explorer 8300HD to a Tivo S3 for the better video quality but a woman from TWC (that did not appear to be very knowledgable) told me in addition to losing In-Demand that there would be other HD channels that I would lose. She couldn't get specific on which ones - it sounded like a lame job of keeping me from switching to Tivo -

From reading other ppls posts, many of the cable companies are adding new channels by using Switched Digital Video (SDV) Cablecards can't tune those channels in, because they are unidirectional, and SDV requires bidirectional connection. However, the sales rep should have been able to tell you which stations are SDV, so her ability to be specific was a load of bull$%(@.

Here is a link to the SDV forum channel

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=357703

Last edited by Lorcane : 02-16-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: wanted to add a link
Old 02-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #2902
bobrt6676

[quote=Pars22;5987299]I'm considering moving from my TWC Explorer 8300HD to a Tivo S3 for the better video quality but a woman from TWC (that did not appear to be very knowledgable) told me in addition to losing In-Demand that there would be other HD channels that I would lose. She couldn't get specific on which ones - it sounded like a lame job of keeping me from switching to Tivo -

Thanks for your expertise![/QUOTE

Depending on your area, SDV (switched digital video) seems to be causing many problems with receiving some HD channels. Read the SDV thread, you wil learn a lot.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #2903
trol1374

I bought a TivoHD and got the Mcard all set up and going. Next billing cycle my monthly bill jumped some 40 bucks. After a few calls, they get it back to where it was. Next bill, back up again. Few calls later they admit that since I no longer have a "box" that the promo price I was getting is null and void. They said they couldn't override the system. Talked with a manager and said she would send me a cable box and I get my promo price for a year. After all was said and done, I ended up with a cheaper monthly rate by getting the box (no charge). So, I do have my Tivo going and just have the box on another input.
trol1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #2904
DrWho453

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcane View Post
From reading other ppls posts, many of the cable companies are adding new channels by using Switched Digital Video (SDV) Cablecards can't tune those channels in, because they are unidirectional, and SDV requires bidirectional connection. However, the sales rep should have been able to tell you which stations are SDV, so her ability to be specific was a load of bull$%(@.

Here is a link to the SDV forum channel

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=357703
Just to clear up some confusion here. Its not the cable card thats the problem. Cable cards will work unidirectional or bi-directional. Its the device that needs to be bi-directional. The tivo HD and series 3 are not bi-directional devices so PPV, On-Demand, and SDV will not work as is. The tuner resolver is supposed to fix the SDV issue.

If tivo were to go bi-directional, it would probably be in a future release of the hardware.
DrWho453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #2905
drumdude

Quote:

You lose TBS, A&E, and MTV HD channels here in Charlotte NC. That's 3 but well worth the loss. The TWC DVR is absolute junk. We tried them.
drumdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #2906
DrWho453

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdude View Post
You lose TBS, A&E, and MTV HD channels here in Charlotte NC. That's 3 but well worth the loss. The TWC DVR is absolute junk. We tried them.
Hmm, interesting. Here in Raleigh we get TBS, A&E, and MTV HD. Originally we couldn't get them but within the last couple of months they have been available on through the cable card. Although as SCSIRAID said somewhere on here they changed the compression and quality of other channels to do this. I don't watch them anyway so they I don't care that they are active or not except if I am going to be paying to have them, I expect to be able to watch them.
DrWho453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #2907
Lorcane

Just got the 2nd cablecard up and running on my TiVoHD. The technician was told but the phone operator that TiVos and Motorola cards have an issue. Supposedly the cards or the TiVo will lose the channel list. A reboot is required to get them back. Anyone know about this problem?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #2908
falvarez

Time Warner Cable in Inglewood, CA

i purchased a TiVo HD Box and ordered two cablecards from Time Warner Cable.
They first send a tech to install the cablecards, he was not able to get it to work. The next day they sent two techs. i was told by the techs that the Tivo will not work with their cablecards, and i will have to use one of their motorola dvr box. Is there anyone in inglewood having the same problem. Time Warner Cable needs to contract more professional installers!!!!
falvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:43 AM   #2909
cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falvarez View Post
i was told by the techs that the Tivo will not work with their cablecards, and i will have to use one of their motorola dvr box.
Wrong! They are required by law to support any certified device -- which the Tivo HD is. Call Tivo, Inc. Then file a complaint with the FCC and your local franchise authority.

It doesn't matter if their techs are idiots that will say such things. They said it, and the cable company is on the hook for it.
cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #2910
Midwest User1

Just an update. In the Milwaukee, WI. area I'm now getting the 5 additional HD channels that I had lost when switching from the Scientific Atlanta to my TIVO's. They must have taken these 5 channels OFF of the SDV network. Now I don't have to wait for the tuner resolver. I'm now getting ESPN2 HD, TBS HD, HGTV HD, HDT HD, A&E HD. I just noticed this yesterday but it had to have been within the last few days at the most that Time Warner started sending them.
Midwest User1 is offline   Reply With Quote