TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #2851
zingboy

So simple.

Just has a Lower Manhattan TWC tech come out to install two cable cards on my Tivo HD. It went incredibly smoothly. He brought two multi-stream(Mcard) cards because of some really complicated S3 install he did yesterday. Only needed one, which saved me money. They had told me they didn't have Mcards on the phone initially. Never listen to the phone reps. Ever.

The whole install took 35 minutes, which included a firmware upgrade on the cablecard. Totally pleased. Bless Tivo for the "Hand this to your cable card installer" guide.

And I got rid of 4 cables from the back of my tv – the cable box power cord, the two RF cables and the RCA into the Tivo. Nice and clean.
zingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #2852
goodbar

Plano, TX

I upgraded my Time Warner service in Plano recently. The process started last Thursday Jan 31 and completed today Feb 5. I have a TivoHD and I upgraded to the Digital Tier with HD package.

I can definitely understand the confusion about Single versus Multi cards. The person who took my order said there were no Multicards. However, the install techs are given Multicards to install.

After installing cable modem and phone, the first installer installed the Multicard he was given and called in the numbers. Tivo could not tune the HD tier, and he did not have any more cards (~ 1 hour on cablecards). I called Time Warner to complain (~ 1 hour). They sent out another installer on Friday Feb 1. He put in another card and called in the numbers (~30 mins). Now - no Digital or HD. I called and spent more time on line with Time Warner. This time the level one followed his script and had me unplug the TV (yes - idiots) then re-setup the Tivo. Of couse, this did not work (2 hours). Saturday Feb 2, another installer installed another card and called it in. It did not work - no Digital or HD (1 hour). Another call to Time Warner and they finally agreed to send out a Time Warner tech (1 hour).

Everyone up until this point was a 3rd party contractor to Time Warner. All of them were nice and competent, but were shut out from the internal Time Warner systems. Today, Tues Feb 5, the Time Warner tech showed up. He mentioned that the Data ID on the Cable screen may change from the first number. He checked and called in the "new" data number. Within 2 minutes - it started working. On the Channel Scan screen, the channels started showing up. Digital and HD channels could be tuned. Wow. I am guessing all the other cards may have been fine - but suffering from wrong data at Time Warner.

After installing a cable booster to deal with some pixelation issues, everything is great with the cable - all the digital and HD channels are coming in well. The tech knew what he was doing.

I cannot comprehend why Time Warner does not tell the Level One Support people to check ALL the configuration numbers. This would solve a lot of customer frustrations and it would also save many, many cablecard installation trips. I have read several people switching to DirectTV because of these cablecard problems.

Anyway, all is well now - after 6 frustrating days, 4 truck rolls with 3 different cablecards taking 3.5 hours and 3 calls with support taking another 4 hours. This does not include time waiting. This does not include having to record the Super Bowl in SD because of the signal issues.

For anyone planning this effort, definitely read the Tivo guides for cablecard installation and be familiar with the screens. Try to get Level 1 support to verify all the numbers from the setup, and you may want to verify whether the Data ID or other numbers change over time to see if that is causing future programming losses.

Hope this helps someone out there. Good luck.
goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #2853
lejm

Hello, I am on TWCNYC and am confused about their service and which Tivo box I'll need. I'm on the basic starter package plan (Digital Starter Pak), which the rep I spoke to yesterday said was *not* digital, it was regular cable. Okay, so in that case Series2 would work. But then the rep I spoke to today said it was all on a digital feed, which means I need the CableCards and a Tivo HD box. I'm sure there are other TWCNYC folks on here - can someone give me the straight answer?

I think there was a semantics issue with TWCNYC calling the lower channels "basic and standard" and channels above 75 "digital" even though it's all coming into my house digitally. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki01 View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with TWC. Had a question, and would appreciate any help anyone could give me. I just bought a Tivo HD. I called TWC twice in the past 3 days for info and cablecards. This is what I was told:

--They do NOT have M-cards. They will have to install 2 cards.
-30.30 truck roll, 19.99 to install extra card, about 3.50 a month total for both cards together
-I will get ALL the channels I currently get with my premium digital cable option
-my triple play package will not be affected

This seems contradictory to some other posts I have seen here. Is this information correct? My main questions are: 1) Can I get a single M-card here in TWC Manhattan, 2) Will I get ALL my channels? Are there any SDV channels? 3)Does the cost sound right? Will triple play get affected if I turn in my box? The guy is coming out in about 4 days.
Thnx for any help!
This is what I heard as well, though the first S-card is 1.75 and each additional is $4.55/mo. I'd double-check on your triple play package, as every rep tells me once I get rid of the box and have the cards, my cable service becomes a la carte, and the cost is a few dollars more than the package deal.
lejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #2854
jhaggs

I have finally got all my HD channels and the other missing SD channels on TW in Plano Texas. I have been at it for almost 2 weeks and the issue turned out to be for some reason they had an HD DVR and a second M card added to my account that I have never had!! They finally sent out an actual Time Warner employee to look at this and found out the additional items on my account. I had even got one of the CSR's to verify the numbers on my M Card and send the hit to it but they found out through dispatch that most likely they were hitting the HD DVR that was never on my account. Strangely enough I asked the question to the CSR to show what devices were listed and in what order and the twice I was told a cable card and a standard set top box which would have been the correct answer. However that was not all that was on my account. It sad that it took 2 weeks and having to get the issue escalated to be able to get this resolution which took the tech 30 seconds to figure out with his dispatch. Anyways I am excited that all is working fine now. I hope this can help some people out and be sure that you find out what they have on your account as magical items like to randomly appear....that they seem to not be able to see.
jhaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #2855
harrd

Question 2 way cable cards?

There are a number of new HD channels offered by Time Warner in my area, Burlington, NC. Unfortunately I can't get any of these new channels until Time Warner has something called a "2 way cable card".

What is a "2 way cable card"?
harrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #2856
ruhmann

Is HDNet SDV in Austin?

I can't get HDNet or HDNet Movies on my TiVo. I actually get the cable card diagnostic screen when I go to those channels. Does anyone know why? Are those channels switched digital in Austin?

Side question, does anyone know when those dongles are comping out that let us use the SDV channels on our TiVo?
ruhmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #2857
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhmann View Post
I can't get HDNet or HDNet Movies on my TiVo. I actually get the cable card diagnostic screen when I go to those channels. Does anyone know why? Are those channels switched digital in Austin?

Side question, does anyone know when those dongles are comping out that let us use the SDV channels on our TiVo?
Those are not sdv channels in Austin. They are in the "Extended HD" tier that you have to pay for.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #2858
DrWho453

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrd View Post
There are a number of new HD channels offered by Time Warner in my area, Burlington, NC. Unfortunately I can't get any of these new channels until Time Warner has something called a "2 way cable card".

What is a "2 way cable card"?
As far as I know there is no such thing as a 2 way cable card. Cable cards can work in devices that support one way or two way communications. If a cable card was installed in a device with two way communications then you could order VOD or PPV through the communication device. Tivo is a one way device and does not have the capability to do two way communications which is why VOD and PPV will not work on Tivo.

Now the cable company may be talking about Switched digital video (SDV) which there is a usb tuner resolver in the works to allow the tivo to access those channels. You may find more information on SDV here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&highlight=sdv

Edit: TWC Raleigh/Durham tried SDV here with some of the new channels such tbsHD, A&EHD, and some others and when they first came on, we could not get them on the Tivo. About a month or so ago we started getting them so I think they canceled the SDV temporarily.

Last edited by DrWho453 : 02-06-2008 at 03:24 PM.
DrWho453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #2859
kentyman

Problems in Austin

I had a Time Warner Cable guy come install a CableCARD in my TiVo HD today in Austin.

Digital channels work, but for some reason al HD channels in the 1600s do not. Specifically Discovery HD (1617) and ESPN HD (1635) are the ones I have tried. None of the music channels in the 800s work either. The guy stayed around for a couple hours trying to get it to work, but eventually said that the guy on the phone told him it should work in 4-6 hours. It has been much longer than that and still no change.

I just called in and had Time Warner Cable technical support reset the CableCARD to see if that would help. He said to wait 30 minutes and it should work. It's been 30 minutes and still no change.

Can anyone help?
kentyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #2860
TxPres

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post
I had a Time Warner Cable guy come install a CableCARD in my TiVo HD today in Austin.

Digital channels work, but for some reason al HD channels in the 1600s do not. Specifically Discovery HD (1617) and ESPN HD (1635) are the ones I have tried. None of the music channels in the 800s work either. The guy stayed around for a couple hours trying to get it to work, but eventually said that the guy on the phone told him it should work in 4-6 hours. It has been much longer than that and still no change.

I just called in and had Time Warner Cable technical support reset the CableCARD to see if that would help. He said to wait 30 minutes and it should work. It's been 30 minutes and still no change.

Can anyone help?
That was the same thing that happened to me. On the second truck roll, the tech checked everything out. He wanted to check/replace all splitters. Said it was probably a signal strength issue. I told him to run a temp line from the curb directly to Tivo rather than crawl around in my attic. He did and there was no change. After that, it was pretty obvious that the problem was either a CC isssue or a problem with the "office".

After a couple of hours with the tech talking to the "office", they finally sent down 39 EMM's (?) and that fixed things. For whatever reason, the "office" is very reluctant to send down the multiple EMM's. However, after they did send them, my CC's are working fine and I am getting all the channels I am supposed to get (of course, not the SDV channels).

Now I am waiting for the SDV dongle if it ever shows up.
TxPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #2861
jdh2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymouth Duster View Post
I purchased an HDTV at Christmas, along with an HDTivo. The Audio/Video company I purchased the HDTV from is a contractor for Time Warner (Beaumont, TX) and they installed two S-Cards in the HDTivo. Problems abounded. After two service calls, Time Warner took my HDTivo to the shop for installation. (The service tech was a very nice guy, but admitted that he had just started working with cablecards that week.) The HDTivo was returned with one S-Card around January 3, 2008, with a promise that I would receive an M-Card as soon as they arrived in approximately two to three weeks. The tech explained that they could not get the HDTivo to work in our service area with two S-Cards, but it would work fine when one M-Card is installed.

I'm not sure I believe anything they have told me about S-Cards vs. M-Cards working with Time Warner in my area (Beaumont, TX). Has anyone had any similar experience with Time Warner and CableCards?
Don't believe them... I've had a tivo s3 in the Beaumont, TX area since September of 06 and have 2 S cards but they've never done things correctly. Card 1 works but is not authorized so doesn't get any digital or encrypted channels... Card 2 works properly on all (shows a subscribed on the auth where #1 doesn't even show the auth line).

They've given me the runaround since then - from we don't carry cablecards to we don't support tivo to there's a new type of card out and only that one will work (obviously not true since my 2nd card works) to let us take your tivo and get it working - but wouldn't guarantee to fix it if they broke it.

I've been working on getting them to fix it lately (I bought my Dad a Tivo HD and he's having similar problems so I figured it was time to start complaining again) and have had 2 truck rolls - but both techs take one look and say we can't get those to work (the first giving me the story about a new cable card). I handed the 2nd guy printout from this forum (thanks guys!) explained to him the difference between S and M cards and he was impressed - not enough to actually do anything but he took them with him.

The local manager called me last week and promised to send out a tech who knew how to deal with cablecards today - but guess what no tech and no return call. A call to him today went directly to voice mail.

I've tried to get them to just let me do the cablecard part but no luck. Looks like it's time to call the corporate office (hmmm now where is that number??) and then a complaint to the FCC.
jdh2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #2862
nhw3w

I live in NYC (Northern Manhattan) and I've just purchased 2 Tivo HD boxes. The TWC guy is coming on Friday to install M-series cablecards and I want to be ready. Here's what I have done:

1. Activated both boxes
2. Downloaded the latest software for each
3. Hooked up both audio and video to the home theater in each room (bedroom, livingroom)
4. Tried to set up each box to work with my analog cable boxes for the week just so I can play around with Tivo (I did a channel scan and it seemed to add the right channels but the reception seems screwed up (analog cable box issue?) so I'm not going to bother with it further.

Here's my question...

To facilitate the cablecard installation do I need to reset the Tivo to factory defaults or do anything special?

I tried
nhw3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #2863
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just spun up my new THD on Time Warner with two cable cards. Most of the channels in the 100-150 range are not working, they are blank screens. Other channels, including HD content in the 400 range, are working fine. Spent an hour on the phone with TW support who couldn't figure it out. Technician is coming out next week. Ugh.

Any ideas what's going on here?
Why does one of my cablecards say "SingleStream" and the other doesn't? Is that something relevant to this problem?
dtivouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #2864
Bizily

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyeastburn View Post
After eight, yes, count them EIGHT visits from Time Warner Cable technicians (Charlotte NC area) I finally got my Tivo Series 3 HD up and running with dual cable cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizily View Post
I'm on my 3rd visit from TWC Cleveland area. They said they would bring out M-cards next time. We'll see.
It took seven visits from TWC Northeast Ohio, but they finally got it working this weekend. They experimented with multiple cable cards, both SA and Motorola, with problems ranging from getting stuck in upgrading firmware mode to not pulling in all of the digital stations. It took awhile, but at least they remained persistent.

I've been comparing my S3 with my HR10 while I still have Directv service. I have to say that the HD picture quality is slightly sharper on the HR10. But I really like the networking features on the S3. Also, with all the other annoyances with D*, it will be nice to finally tell them to get lost.
Bizily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #2865
cab2

Quote:
Also, with all the other annoyances with D*, it will be nice to finally tell them to get lost.
Grin! just wait. TWC is certainly not a jewel.

I've actually thought of going to DTV but would have to give up my tivo s3, so no go for me. Other than the tivo, I'd ditch TW in a heartbeat.
cab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #2866
jdh2005

Smile Beaumont, TX area

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh2005 View Post
The local manager called me last week and promised to send out a tech who knew how to deal with cablecards today - but guess what no tech and no return call. A call to him today went directly to voice mail.
Update - a tech who knows what he's doing and the local manager came out this afternoon and got both cards working

So anyone in the Beaumont, TX area having problems should be able to get them fixed. Tech's name is Fred and he did a good job - hardest part was him getting someone on the other end to do what he wanted - I'll never understand why they don't give them a laptop so they can connect and do it themselves if they insist on sending out a tech for a cablecard.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #2867
Bizily

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2 View Post
Grin! just wait. TWC is certainly not a jewel.
I've had D* service along with TW basic cable and high-speed internet for several years now. I understand that no provider is perfect. I've been annoyed with how D* has been treating its MPEG2 equipment owners like myself, not to mention the interruption in service when the weather is bad. I'm not an NFL Ticket subscriber, so there is really no advantage with D*'s lineup. Plus, I save a little on my monthly bill with TWC.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #2868
jdh2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
I just spun up my new THD on Time Warner with two cable cards. Most of the channels in the 100-150 range are not working, they are blank screens. Other channels, including HD content in the 400 range, are working fine. Spent an hour on the phone with TW support who couldn't figure it out. Technician is coming out next week. Ugh.

Any ideas what's going on here?
Why does one of my cablecards say "SingleStream" and the other doesn't? Is that something relevant to this problem?
Probably your card is not paired properly or not validated - check out the "conditional access" screen and see what it says then compare to the info in the cablecard thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=363797

Does the other card say "Multistream"? There are 2 types according to the thread - single stream and multi stream. Difference is multi stream can handle 2 tuners in a tivohd so you only need one. S3's still require 2 cards even if they are multi stream (a limitation of the tivo apparently and not the cablecard).
Old 02-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #2869
Lorcane

Cable Card issues in South Texas

I've been reading the forum and it seems I'm not alone with problems with 2 cable cards on my TiVo HD. The 2nd card paired up and got authenticated fine; however, the 1st card won't authenticate. I called up tech support and found out that I could have gotten an M-Card after all. Got another appointment scheduled for this Wednesday to install the M-Card. At least with only one card the tech will have to follow the TiVo installation guide and only do one card at a time. Time Warner also promised that this tech would be a Time Warner employee not an outside contracter. Also something else I noticed is TWC is not consistent on their pricing. I had to pay $116 to get the 2 cards installed last week on 2/6/2008. They charged me $59.99 for the first card and $39.99 for the 2nd card. I'm hoping to get a refund since I will only be using one card.
Lorcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #2870
TxPres

You are right that TWC is not consistent in their pricing.
They still have not billed me for the truck roll on my install , only the $2.65 monthly charge for the CC.
Crossing my fingers and hoping they never will.
TxPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #2871
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcane View Post
I've been reading the forum and it seems I'm not alone with problems with 2 cable cards on my TiVo HD. The 2nd card paired up and got authenticated fine; however, the 1st card won't authenticate. I called up tech support and found out that I could have gotten an M-Card after all. Got another appointment scheduled for this Wednesday to install the M-Card. At least with only one card the tech will have to follow the TiVo installation guide and only do one card at a time. Time Warner also promised that this tech would be a Time Warner employee not an outside contracter. Also something else I noticed is TWC is not consistent on their pricing. I had to pay $116 to get the 2 cards installed last week on 2/6/2008. They charged me $59.99 for the first card and $39.99 for the 2nd card. I'm hoping to get a refund since I will only be using one card.
That's insane!! TWC Dayton, Ohio charges $20.00 to install and 2.95/mo. (I thought that was outragious) And they got it right the first time!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #2872
Bizily

What's this I'm reading that people are paying for cable card installations? I have TWC in northeast Ohio. They made seven separate visits to get two cable cards working in my S3. They didn't charge me a cent for it. Is it because I upgraded to digital service?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #2873
Lovetroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxPres View Post
That was the same thing that happened to me. On the second truck roll, the tech checked everything out. He wanted to check/replace all splitters. Said it was probably a signal strength issue. I told him to run a temp line from the curb directly to Tivo rather than crawl around in my attic. He did and there was no change. After that, it was pretty obvious that the problem was either a CC isssue or a problem with the "office".

After a couple of hours with the tech talking to the "office", they finally sent down 39 EMM's (?) and that fixed things. For whatever reason, the "office" is very reluctant to send down the multiple EMM's. However, after they did send them, my CC's are working fine and I am getting all the channels I am supposed to get (of course, not the SDV channels).

Now I am waiting for the SDV dongle if it ever shows up.
I had TWC here in Austin come by today and install an M-card into my TiVo HD and I've got the exact same issue, no channels in the 1600s at all. They want to schedule sending another truck (sometime next week) to try and fix it. After dropping my Series 2 box when I got my new 52" plasma the day before the Super Bowl only to have the TWC box break the Super Bowl into 26 segments and then deauthorize in the middle of the 4th quarter, I'm not brimming with confidence.

They told me to reboot my TiVo (again) and then check it in 30 minutes. It's still not working. I'll ask them about the EMMs... maybe I'll get lucky.
Lovetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #2874
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetroll View Post
I had TWC here in Austin come by today and install an M-card into my TiVo HD and I've got the exact same issue, no channels in the 1600s at all. They want to schedule sending another truck (sometime next week) to try and fix it. After dropping my Series 2 box when I got my new 52" plasma the day before the Super Bowl only to have the TWC box break the Super Bowl into 26 segments and then deauthorize in the middle of the 4th quarter, I'm not brimming with confidence.

They told me to reboot my TiVo (again) and then check it in 30 minutes. It's still not working. I'll ask them about the EMMs... maybe I'll get lucky.
Send me a pm with your contact information and I can fix you right now.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #2875
tigo219

I have a series 3 TiVo, with 2 SA Single stream Cbl Crds. About 2 weeks ago I had a problem where my HD channels totally cut out (after they had been working fine for about a month) and many of the SD channels were all mixed up. They problem seemed to solve itsself last Tuesday, all better. This was after being on the phone with Time Warner 3 times and with TiVo. TW told me it was a "software issue". Well I turn on the TV this morning, and the problem has returned. Does anyone have a clue what might be happening? I'm in New York City, so I have TWCNYC. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
tigo219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #2876
mihalik

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
Send me a pm with your contact information and I can fix you right now.
I want to thank cableguy for helping out us Austin customers. I've seen this story many times now. The tech says "it will be working in a couple hours" and leaves and then someone posts here and cableguy fixes it. Maybe the tech should just say "it will work when you talk to cableguy763".
mihalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #2877
bobrt6676

Quote:
What's this I'm reading that people are paying for cable card installations? I have TWC in northeast Ohio. They made seven separate visits to get two cable cards working in my S3. They didn't charge me a cent for it. Is it because I upgraded to digital service?

Apparently no two TWC offices charge the same. I have yet to see any two cities with the same cost for installs or even Cable Cards. They must be able to set any price they pull out of their A----
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #2878
ddstreet

I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the posts, but I just got a TWC HD-DVR box which has a M-Card in the back of it. Can I just pull that out and put it into a Tivo HD? Or will that not work?
ddstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 AM   #2879
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstreet View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the posts, but I just got a TWC HD-DVR box which has a M-Card in the back of it. Can I just pull that out and put it into a Tivo HD? Or will that not work?
No, it will not work. Your cable co would still have to pair it to the tivo. Plus, if the cable co finds out you tampered with the box you could become liable for it.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #2880
ddstreet

Ah, ok.

So, a different question, does anyone know if TWC in Raleigh still requires a truck roll for CableCard installs or has anyone been able to just pick it up at the counter? Has anyone been able to pick up a CableCard from the TWC counter anywhere?
ddstreet is offline   Reply With Quote