Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #31
stahta01
Simple Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
That's still no excuse for knowingly releasing buggy code.
Tell that to Bill Gates!!!!

Tim S

PS, You might wish to have an hard hat on when you do it.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #32
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
I find your dismissive attitude somewhat offensive. I'm glad that you are happy with your Tivo, but there is a huge number of people who aren't.
The number of people complaining here compared against the number of tivo subscribers suggests that you are incorrect.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #33
KJW

I am appalled at the excuses being made for Tivo. Programing is hard. . . The bugs aren't too bad. . . Tivo can't afford to put out code that isn't buggy . . . Are you people crazy?? Customers are purchasing and paying every month for a machine that reboots randomly, loses video, and stutters, requiring a manual re-start to fix. These are inexcusable defects that need to be addressed. The machines are also sluggish to the point where you can't flip channels because it takes so long for a channel to load (not to mention the fear of a reboot that can happen any time you change the channel).

I don't see Tivo waiving anyone's monthly fee while its gets its act together. To the contrary, they deny a widespread problem and give customers busy work to buy time -- "try running to machine without cable cards for a while!"

Tivo exists only because people appreciate its superiority to generic DVR's. If it cannot write stable code, it will not be in business for long. I have been a Tivo customer for over 5 years and have 2 machines, but any more problems and I am switching to Cablevision. I expect when I buy a product that it will work now, not in 6 months. I am sure I am not alone in that sentiment.
KJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #34
KJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post
The number of people complaining here compared against the number of tivo subscribers suggests that you are incorrect.

Really? how many disappointed and frustrated Tivo customers are acceptable? 2%? 5%? 15%? More importantly for Tivo's future, how many unhappy Tivo HD customers can the company afford to alienate?

I think that, based upon the number of tivo HD customers complaining on just this forum, compared to the relatively few number of total Tivo HD owners, there is a real problem.

Last edited by KJW : 02-12-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #35
ciucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJW View Post
Really? how many disappointed and frustrated Tivo customers are acceptable? 2%? 5%? 15%? More importantly for Tivo's future, how many unhappy Tivo HD customers can the company afford to alienate?

I think the number of tivo HD customers complaining on just this forum, compared to the relatively few number of total Tivo HD owners, there is a real problem.
They lost one sale I now of. I was going to buy another TIVOHD to replace the QIP6416 in my den, but now I'm not due to the pixelation issue, I'm having with the one in the family room. In fact I will probably never buying another Tivo.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #36
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Really? how many disappointed and frustrated Tivo customers are acceptable? 2%? .
I doubt that even 2% is acceptable to TiVo, which leads me to believe the number is not as high as that
Old 02-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #37
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:

I think that, based upon the number of tivo HD customers complaining on just this forum, compared to the relatively few number of total Tivo HD owners, there is a real problem.
How many posters do you see complaining? Dozens?

How many TivoHD's have been sold? Thousands? Tens of thousands?

Even at the numbers you are claiming, that isn't a "huge" number as has been characterized in this thread.

Without hard numbers, which are impossible to come by, this is a stupid and utterly pointless argument to be having. Claiming it as "huge numbers", let trying to put percentages on it is just completely making things up.

Regardless of how we got here (or exactly where we are now), back to my original point. Would you rather Tivo rush out a software update fixing the old bugs while introducing new ones, or take their time and do a proper software release? Maybe if Dish would ever let go of the millions they owe Tivo, Tivo could triple the number of programmers and do both. It all (again) boils down to fast, cheap and bug free (pick 2 out of 3). Wishing otherwise (or making angry posts about it on the internet) isn't going to change that simple fact.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #38
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
any more problems and I am switching to Cablevision.
Are you saying Tivo only needs to have its software working well enough to beat Cablevision?
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #39
KJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12 View Post
Are you saying Tivo only needs to have its software working well enough to beat Cablevision?

Actually, I'm saying that Tivo should at least work as well as a generic DVR. The Cablevision DVR I had prior to my Tivo HD was far more stable. So for me, if things keep going the way they are, I may go back to Cablevision. My larger point, however, is that Tivo needs to provide a reliable product or others may also look elsewhere.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #40
KJW

Quote:

How many TivoHD's have been sold? Thousands? Tens of thousands?

Even at the numbers you are claiming, that isn't a "huge" number as has been characterized in this thread.

Without hard numbers, which are impossible to come by, this is a stupid and utterly pointless argument to be having. Claiming it as "huge numbers", let trying to put percentages on it is just completely making things up.

Regardless of how we got here (or exactly where we are now), back to my original point. Would you rather Tivo rush out a software update fixing the old bugs while introducing new ones, or take their time and do a proper software release? Maybe if Dish would ever let go of the millions they owe Tivo, Tivo could triple the number of programmers and do both. It all (again) boils down to fast, cheap and bug free (pick 2 out of 3). Wishing otherwise (or making angry posts about it on the internet) isn't going to change that simple fact.
I never claimed the numbers are huge. To the contrary, I simply wondered how many disgrunted customers Tivo was willing to accept. You are the one who concluded that the problems are no big deal; I was just wondering how you decided that and using what baseline -- 2% of machines, 20%?? Clearly, having conceded you have no idea how widespread the problem is, you conclusion is based simply on the fact that you and some unknown number of other are having no problems. So the rest of us should stop whining -- after all, you're happy.

Onto your original point, your opinion -- again based on the fact that your machine is working fine -- is that everyone else should be patient so tivo can "do a proper software release". However, it is unreasonable to expect patience from people who have paid, and are still paying monthly, for a machine that doesn't work as promised, if at all. Tivo needs to address this because it is alienating customers. You can talk all you want about resource allocation and tivo taking its time to resolve issues. I am simply wondering how many customers are getting fed up each week and abandoning their machines in the interim. Just as significantly, how many people are complaining about tivo to friends and colleagues instead of praising it?

Finally, your "fast, cheap and bug free (pick 2 out of 3)" ultimatum misses the point completely. If tivo cannot afford to fix bugs quickly and still offer its product at an acceptable price point, it will not be in business for very long. Up to this point, tivo has been a cutting edge company that offered a great product for which people were willing to pay a premium. If it can no longer do this, people will try other, cheaper products from tivo's competitors.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #41
jay_winter
P4+PXL4+Mini+FIOS

Quote:
Are you really that naive? Do you actually think that everyone who experiences problems with their Tivo box is also complaining about it?
And, if they do complain, do you think they all post their complaints >HERE< for your reading pleasure?
And, if Tivo says "But, we've only had >THIS MANY< complaints!", do you believe them?
Many of us --maybe even the vast majority-- have seen the evidence posted here that neither Tivo nor our cable provider is either willing or able to resolve the cablecard/pixelation issues. The best we can hope for the that the next software rev will fix it, so we wait, rather than wrestle with service providers who are only interested in collecting their monthly fees.

The infuriating thing is that my $500 DVR can't display a reliable digital channel as well as the simple set-top box that my cable provider offers.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #42
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
I never claimed the numbers are huge.
I never said you did. Other posters in the thread have.
Quote:
To the contrary, I simply wondered how many disgrunted customers Tivo was willing to accept. You are the one who concluded that the problems are no big deal; I was just wondering how you decided that and using what baseline -- 2% of machines, 20%??
If the problems were more widespread, I think that we would see more people complaining. Regardless, I've already said that the data isn't there to support either assertion, so why waste the time to debate it? Bickering over where we are and how we got there is pointless. What is important is "what is the best way to move ahead?" Any suggestions?

Quote:
Clearly, having conceded you have no idea how widespread the problem is, you conclusion is based simply on the fact that you and some unknown number of other are having no problems. So the rest of us should stop whining -- after all, you're happy.
Riddle me this: what good is whining going to do? If anything it's going to be counter productive, and pressure Tivo to release the software before it's ready - more bugs.

Quote:
Onto your original point, your opinion -- again based on the fact that your machine is working fine -- is that everyone else should be patient so tivo can "do a proper software release". However, it is unreasonable to expect patience from people who have paid, and are still paying monthly, for a machine that doesn't work as promised, if at all. Tivo needs to address this because it is alienating customers. You can talk all you want about resource allocation and tivo taking its time to resolve issues. I am simply wondering how many customers are getting fed up each week and abandoning their machines in the interim. Just as significantly, how many people are complaining about tivo to friends and colleagues instead of praising it?

Finally, your "fast, cheap and bug free (pick 2 out of 3)" ultimatum misses the point completely. If tivo cannot afford to fix bugs quickly and still offer its product at an acceptable price point, it will not be in business for very long. Up to this point, tivo has been a cutting edge company that offered a great product for which people were willing to pay a premium. If it can no longer do this, people will try other, cheaper products from tivo's competitors.
It isn't an ultimatum, it's a hard and cold fact of life. Sorry if that's inconvienent. You can whine all you want about how Tivo needs to "do something", but I haven't heard a rational suggestion from anyone that will actually work. If you have one, I'm sure Tivo would love to employ you. You're not the first to suggest that Tivo's demise in imminent. So far, all the others have been wrong. It's likely that you are too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay winter
Are you really that naive?
Yes, naive is exactly what I am.

I've already said that trying to argue the numbers is pointless - the data just isn't there.

If you're not happy with your Tivo, and not wanting to wait for a new update, give me your Tivo and get a cable DVR.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #43
logicman1

Quote:
Actually, I'm saying that Tivo should at least work as well as a generic DVR. The Cablevision DVR I had prior to my Tivo HD was far more stable. So for me, if things keep going the way they are, I may go back to Cablevision. My larger point, however, is that Tivo needs to provide a reliable product or others may also look elsewhere.
Interesting. What software was running on your Cablevision DVR? I had a Motorola DCT6412. When my cable provider was Suscom, Passport Echo was the OS and while it wasn't Tivo, it was user friendly and reliable. When Suscom sold out to Comcast they switched to TV Guide Interactive, the worst piece of crap I have ever used. The bugs that were present in that software are what made me switch to Tivo. Here are some of the issues I experienced:
  • If a recording was in progress when an EAS test occurred, the DVR would go berserk and record 20+ hours of whatever programming followed the program that was scheduled for recording causing unwatched recordings to be deleted.
  • Setting a Series Recording (Season Pass) would frequently crash the box. Then it would take 8 or more hours before all the programming data reloaded.
  • Series Recordings definitions would randomly disappear.
  • Audio on recorded SD programming was always out of sync with video.
  • Pressing remote buttons often took the DVR 5-10 seconds to respond.
The designers of the TV Guide Interactive user interface were guided by the principle that a user interface should inflict pain on the user. Lastly, the programming data was frequently wrong.

So, for me the Tivo software seems pretty clean.
logicman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #44
Chimpware

Interesting that the "Fanboy" advice is to stop whining, or posting about your issues, and then they use the fact that not that many people are posting about issues to support their argument that there are not widespread issues.

This is the same "Fanboy" cr*p that was posted in my original threads about pixelation issues and troubleshooting with my Tivo HDs during their initial release. All the posts then started with claiming that it was a Cable issue. Then when it turned out it was more than one software bug in the Tivo HD causing the issues, no more "Fanboy" posts.

Why doesn't anyone who wants to support Tivo by saying "I am not having problems so you shouldn't be either" keep their posts to themselves rather than telling others who are hiving issues to keep their opinions to themselves? I am not personally having issues any longer, but when I was it was a frustrating experience and I can sympathize with those that are having problems.
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #45
bizzy

Quote:
Disingenuous and misleading.
What percentage of tivo users even know about this forum?

I will be charitable and assume that you simply lack common sense, instead of leaping to the conclusion that you have some motive for spreading this misinformation. Your tactics seem common to paid PR flacks who have been outed on customer forums in the past.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #46
KJW

With all due respect, GoHokies!, why do you care? You are complaining that people are whining and complaining, but that's because they have problems. You have no dog in this fight, so why are you antagonizing people with opinions that are based on nothing but speculation. A lot of people here are annoyed over specific issues, and that undoubtedly represents only a fraction of customers with these problems. Yet you ignore this obvious fact and baseless insist that, "If the problems were more widespread, I think that we would see more people complaining." How many more to you need?? Obviously, me and others on this board think its enough. Who are you to say, no? And exactly how many more would you like?? Have you counted the number of people complaining? Have you looked at statistics of the people who complaint on message boards compared to a total population of those with the problem?

Second, what good will whining do? Well, it may let Tivo know how widespread the problem is and how annoyed its customers are. That may lead them to, first, allocate more resources to addressing the issue and less on other software tasks, such as fixing minor bugs or implementing new features. Second, to the extent these singificant issues are addressed sooner rather than later, tivo may be prompted to issue an interim update to fix these problems, rather than hold it to incorporate into a major update that addresses many issues and enables new features. Are those rationale suggestions? Because they blow away your "fast, cheap and bug free (pick 2 out of 3)" theory by noting the reality that existing resources can be reassigned to meet an emergent need.

Third, I understand people have long been predicting Tivo's demise. But those naysayers were basing their opinions on a perceived weak business model and slow growth in direct consumer sales. What they did not appreciate was the loyal fan-base Tivo had. My concern is that Tivo is ignoring its core customers -- those willing to upgrade to new products like the HD model -- and that this will erode enthusiasm. Also, as data confirms, cable DVR's have eaten into tivo's market share. As a result, Tivo needs to make sure it keeps its core market happy. Which leads to. . .

Fourth, consumer 101. You can argue all you want about resource allocation and time pressures, but the most important thing a consumer product company must do is maintain the perception that it is meeting the needs of its target market. There may be perfectly logical reasons for not fixing a problem for a month or two or six, but consumers don't care, because they don't have to. If a tivo customer feels they are not being served, they will move to a new product. So while you feel snug in the knowledge that tivo is maintaining the integrity of the software development process, customers are getting angry and moving to other products. You may think that its insignificant if 10, or 100, or 1000 people drop their subscriptions, but I doubt tivo's shareholders and creditors will agree.

so, Tivo, how about it? at least acknowledge the issue and let us know when these problems will be addressed.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #47
bizzy

Thank you, KJW, for doing all the typing that I am too lazy to. I offer you a hearty "YEAH! WHAT HE SAID".

As a concrete example of the consumer group you mention, I'd like to point out that I fully expect my refurb warranty replacement S3 to die, probably within 6 months of my warranty coverage expiring. At that time, I have no intention of wasting my hard-earned money on another Tivo product.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #48
KJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicman1 View Post
Interesting. What software was running on your Cablevision DVR? I had a Motorola DCT6412. When my cable provider was Suscom, Passport Echo was the OS and while it wasn't Tivo, it was user friendly and reliable. When Suscom sold out to Comcast they switched to TV Guide Interactive, the worst piece of crap I have ever used. The bugs that were present in that software are what made me switch to Tivo. Here are some of the issues I experienced:
  • If a recording was in progress when an EAS test occurred, the DVR would go berserk and record 20+ hours of whatever programming followed the program that was scheduled for recording causing unwatched recordings to be deleted.
  • Setting a Series Recording (Season Pass) would frequently crash the box. Then it would take 8 or more hours before all the programming data reloaded.
  • Series Recordings definitions would randomly disappear.
  • Audio on recorded SD programming was always out of sync with video.
  • Pressing remote buttons often took the DVR 5-10 seconds to respond.
The designers of the TV Guide Interactive user interface were guided by the principle that a user interface should inflict pain on the user. Lastly, the programming data was frequently wrong.

So, for me the Tivo software seems pretty clean.

Cablevision used Scientific Atlantic boxes running Sara (?) software. It was ugly, utterly unintuitive, and had very few features, but it worked. Tivo is postively elegent in comparison and a joy to use, but what good are all the extra features if its keeps crashing?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #49
menos

Just to offer a point to the debate.
I am on Cox Cable in the OKC market. I am having the 'channels go black' problem. I have spoken with the Cable Card rep at Cox here in OKC (My brother-in-law works for Cox and he called her up), and she stated that 80-90% of the users in the OKC market that have a TivoHD and SA M-card are having the problem. She has apparently done her research because she new exactly what the problem was, she even mentioned going to tivocommunity for the thread on the subject.

My point... If the failure rate is 80-90% in Cox SA environments, overall that's a pretty darn high problem rate. Cox cable has about a 12-15% market share of all Cable customers. So give or take 12% of all TivoHD customers are on Cox Cable. So possibily 80% of those customers are having a problem with the channels going black. That equates to a possibility that at least 10% of ALL TivoHD customers are having this problem. That is incredible! And that is assuming that Cox customers with SA M-Cards are the only ones having this problem. If you take into account that customers of other cable providers may be suffering from the same problem, the percentage just goes up.

I know they say they are working on the problem, but this is getting quite frustrating.
menos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #50
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
From what I recall, TivoPony said TiVo had a "bug fix release" (paraphrase) in the works. I would expect that update this spring.
Yes, I did say that. And it is still correct.

I'll apologize again to those who find that the bugs they're currently experiencing are severe. That has not been the case for the majority of customers, even those experiencing the same issue. Two people can have different views of the same situation. Everyone has their own definition of what is a showstopper, we have to go with our own and acknowledge that it may not match your personal definition.

The people who comment that there are always bugs in code are not 'making excuses' for anyone. There will always be bugs despite anyone's best efforts. And sometimes there are known bugs, bugs that beta has uncovered, and yet we have to ship with them and address them in the next release. We try to focus on the big bugs first, as you would expect.

So I'll give you some background, which will hopefully direct the discussion in a more positive direction.

The Fall release shipped when it did for a number of reasons. For one, we try not to release a major update between Thanksgiving and the Superbowl. That's the busiest time of the year by far for our support agents, throwing a new set of features out to customers on Christmas morning only exacerbates the number of calls we receive. Surprisingly, this is true even for bug fixes. People notice the software update and call. In this case we bent that rule and shipped an update to the Series3 platforms just after Thanksgiving, but before Christmas. There were bugs with identified fixes that we felt were too important to wait.

A second item forced our hand in timing this release, and that was the guide data used by all TiVo DVR's. The data format used by our provider changed at the end of October, they switched to a new method of identifying unique programs and episodes. Some of the effect could be mitigated within the service, which is why Series1 systems can continue to record reliably today without a software update. Some of the new functionality on our S2 and S3 platforms relies on handling these new program identifiers within the box...they had to have a software update in October in order to avoid a disruption in service. That was part of the .6 update.

There were other capabilities we'd committed to within the Fall release, such as Rhapsody and S3/S2 MRV. They drove the timing of the release to a lesser extent.

So, we did release software with known bugs. In fact, I haven't worked on a release in ten years at TiVo where we haven't. We subsequently got a release out to S3's that addressed some critical bugs that we considered showstoppers.

There is a new release, almost ready for delivery. No new features in this one, it's all about addressing bugs and notching performance up. We hoped to have it ready to roll the day following the Superbowl, but it's not quite done yet.

As always, I'll post a note to let everyone know when it is ready to go, and we do plan to put up a priority list at that time for those that want to move towards the front of the release schedule.

Again, thanks for your patience and your assistance as we've moved forward.

Cheers,
Pony
Old 02-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #51
bizzy

Thanks for the update. While intangible, this sort of communication is invaluable in conveying warm fuzzies to your customers. I certainly do appreciate the effort to keep us in the loop.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #52
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
/Subscribing. Thanks TiVoPony.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #53
KJW

Excellent, TivoPony. Thank you very much. As always we appreciate your input into the process. As bizzy said, its just nice to know our concerns are recognized and being addressed.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #54
ciucca

Does the new software include fixes for the FIOS pixelation issue?
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #55
wierdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
If TiVo was missing recordings or shows were being lost from now playing or some other large error, then i would be with you. The kinds of bugs TiVo has out in production though are annoying but hardly keep the DVR features from functioning.
I don't know about you, but I consider often failing to flush the audio buffer when pausing to be a severe error. I pause because I want the TiVo to stop the show and cease making noise, not because I want to hear a continuous loop of the last half second of audio.

Even worse is that it throws off the audio sync when you resume. Luckily a press of the instant replay button will fix that, but god help anyone who didn't think to try it.

While I agree that they need to slow down and put some more thought (or perhaps testing) into the releases before they roll them out, it's not uncommon for software houses to release incremental patches to resolve issues of this nature in a fairly rapid manner. I'm sure they could roll out fixes for the most serious and annoying bugs within a couple of months unless they really are hanging on by a thread with only one or two engineers on the entire standalone project.

The audio buffer issue is especially egregious, since it's unlikely to touch any other areas of the software, thus making the QA process on it relatively easy. There are, by contrast, other issues that would require more far reaching changes to fix, and those I can understand TiVo taking their time on.

It is good to hear that we should have some relief in the relatively near future, at least.
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #56
ldudek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_winter View Post
Are you really that naive? Do you actually think that everyone who experiences problems with their Tivo box is also complaining about it?
And, if they do complain, do you think they all post their complaints >HERE< for your reading pleasure?
And, if Tivo says "But, we've only had >THIS MANY< complaints!", do you believe them?
Many of us --maybe even the vast majority-- have seen the evidence posted here that neither Tivo nor our cable provider is either willing or able to resolve the cablecard/pixelation issues. The best we can hope for the that the next software rev will fix it, so we wait, rather than wrestle with service providers who are only interested in collecting their monthly fees.

The infuriating thing is that my $500 DVR can't display a reliable digital channel as well as the simple set-top box that my cable provider offers.
Let me ask you this. Are you really that naive to think that people who don't have problems come to this website and say, "Hey my TiVo is great!" No problems here?"

Well, in fact they do but take a look at the life of those threads. They don't stick around very long. That's because people in this partcular community seem to be only happy when they can continue to complain.

Is my TiVo bug free? No, I see little things but like Pony says when it comes to the big picture most of these bugs are so minor I don't give it a second thought. I've been happy with my S3 since day 1. Once and a while I see pixelation but that is nothing compared to the SA 8300 I had. I honestly thought that pixelation was normal HD until I got my S3.

Further to say that "the vast majority of us" see that neither cable or TiVo is willing to fix your pixelation problem is a complete fallicy. SCSIRAID, a respected member of this community will tell you that they worked and fixed his problem with the last update. So it's not that they are ignoring the issues.

And I also say to you this. Show me a better DVR then the S3. Go ahead, I'm waiting. You can't because it simply does not exist.

Thank you TiVo Pony for addressing so clearly and honestly the concerns of people like the one I just quoted.

And whoever that was that said nothing should be released with known bugs isn't living in the real world.
ldudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #57
ldudek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
I will be charitable and assume that you simply lack common sense, instead of leaping to the conclusion that you have some motive for spreading this misinformation. Your tactics seem common to paid PR flacks who have been outed on customer forums in the past.
I'm going to be the one charitable by not coming down hard on you with insults like you just did to GoHokies. If you knew anything about GoHokies at all one thing you would realize is that he has more common sense then most of the people who are in this forum.

And it's not that he can't speak for himself. Believe me he can and would. But I guess insults are allowable for some and not for others.
ldudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #58
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post
Yes, I did say that. And it is still correct.
Thanks for the update, Pony.

As for the rest of you, since it seems we can't seem to have a objective, factual conversation with wild accusations of fanboyism and "must be a paid shill or have no common sense", I'm out.

Enjoy squabbling amongst yourselves.

Chimpware, welcome back. My life has been incomplete without your posts.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #59
Chimpware

Quote:
Thanks for the update, Pony.

As for the rest of you, since it seems we can't seem to have a objective, factual conversation with wild accusations of fanboyism and "must be a paid shill or have no common sense", I'm out.

Enjoy squabbling amongst yourselves.

Chimpware, welcome back. My life has been incomplete without your posts.
GH, thanks for the welcome. I am sure many feel your fact filled, helpful, insightful and "all knowing" posts about "their" issues are something they cannot wait to see more of. Keep up the good work, and grow the post count dude
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #60
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
and she stated that 80-90% of the users in the OKC market that have a TivoHD and SA M-card are having the problem. She has apparently done her research because she new exactly what the problem was, she even mentioned going to tivocommunity for the thread on the subject.
if 80% to 90% of Tivo HD customers overall were having this problem the forum would be lit up. Returns at Brick and Mortar would lead them to stop carrying the product, etc..

So I highly doubt that 80% or even 30% of all TiVo HDs are having this problem.

This leads me to believe that we have a bug that is involving Tivo and the cable system in OKC market. Sure 9x had bugs but not everything is related solely to buggy code but the unknowns of many different cable plants and signal strength and cable card firmware.

At the bottom line it is up to TiVo to create a stable product that the customer enjoys but to extrapolate that the TiVo HD has seriously bad code and is unstable due to small, incomplete data sets is just bad statistics.