TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #121
Bumbestia

Thanks prpilot I will be calling to ask about the HD cable card!!

Cuando llamaste t dijeron q pueden poner los canles HD en el Tivo? pues me un pana me dijo q cuando pregunto le dijeron q los Tivo no sirven con los cable cards!! lo q creo q es una total mentira para q uses su caja!!! me dejas saber el status de tu cable card con los canales HD!! Gracias por los post!! Espero q esto lo aclaren pues en Cotsco estan vendiendo los Tivo HD y hay mucha gente q no los ha comprado por q no saben si funcionan o no!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpilot View Post
Hi Bumbestia,

As per the newspaper article, you have to request HD channels and they'll give it to you. Onelink is supposed to call me this week for a status update. But the more people that pester them the better!!

Call them and tell them "Layra Zapata" asked you to call.

Bumbestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #122
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbestia View Post
Cuando llamaste t dijeron q pueden poner los canles HD en el Tivo? pues me un pana me dijo q cuando pregunto le dijeron q los Tivo no sirven con los cable cards!! lo q creo q es una total mentira para q uses su caja!!! me dejas saber el status de tu cable card con los canales HD!! Gracias por los post!! Espero q esto lo aclaren pues en Cotsco estan vendiendo los Tivo HD y hay mucha gente q no los ha comprado por q no saben si funcionan o no!!
Let's keep the thread in English, please!

Otherwise the rest of the Community won't be able to help us out with their comments.

Here's my attempt at translating Bumbestia's post:

Did they tell you they were going to allow the HD Channels when you called?
When a friend of mine called, they said that TiVo units did not work with CableCards, which is a total lie so you are forced to use their cable converter box.
Keep us posted on the status of the CableCards and the HD channels.
Thanks for the posts!
I hope this get clarified bacuase Costco is selling the TiVoHD and there is a lot of people that haven't purchased them because they don't know if it works with our cable provider or not.

I apologize in advance if I misunderstood something in my translation.

Good luck to us all!
(2) TiVo Mini's with Lifetime

TiVo Fan since 2005

crabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #123
Bumbestia

Sorry for that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post
Let's keep the thread in English, please!

Otherwise the rest of the Community won't be able to help us out with their comments.

Here's my attempt at translating Bumbestia's post:

Did they tell you they were going to allow the HD Channels when you called?
When a friend of mine called, they said that TiVo units did not work with CableCards, which is a total lie so you are forced to use their cable converter box.
Keep us posted on the status of the CableCards and the HD channels.
Thanks for the posts!
I hope this get clarified bacuase Costco is selling the TiVoHD and there is a lot of people that haven't purchased them because they don't know if it works with our cable provider or not.

I apologize in advance if I misunderstood something in my translation.

Good luck to us all!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #124
guliver

One Link PR

Can anyone tell me which of the following boxes does Onelink Puerto Rico uses?
SA8300HD or SA8300HDC
Thanks
guliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #125
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by guliver View Post
SA8300HD or SA8300HDC
Thanks
They actually have both.

If you are planning on removing the M-Card from an SA8300C, you just need a little luck in getting one from Onelink.

I don't think the Rep. will be very accomodating if you explain the situation, considering you are not supposed to remove it.

Good Luck!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #126
Bumbestia

Hey crabell I see in your signature that you have a Tivo HD with a M card! Did you remove one from the SA8300HDC? Can you get the HD Channels that way? Whats needs to be done to get the HD channels with the SA8300HDC card?
If I go to OL and request a Mcard can I get the HD channels? Thanks!!

Quote:
They actually have both.

If you are planning on removing the M-Card from an SA8300C, you just need a little luck in getting one from Onelink.

I don't think the Rep. will be very accomodating if you explain the situation, considering you are not supposed to remove it.

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #127
crabell

Quote:
Hey crabell I see in your signature that you have a Tivo HD with a M card! Did you remove one from the SA8300HDC? Can you get the HD Channels that way? Whats needs to be done to get the HD channels with the SA8300HDC card?
If I go to OL and request a Mcard can I get the HD channels? Thanks!!
Yes, I am using the M-Card from the SA8300HDC Onelink gave me. Both tuners receive the HD Channels and works just as it should on my TiVo HD. Remember that you need to re-run Guided Setup after inserting the M-Card. The only problem is that I'm paying about $22 for the SA8300HDC that I'm not using.

I haven't talk to anyone at Onelink recently, but you can go ahead and request the M-Card with the HD channels. I'm just not sure how hard the Rep will laugh... The Rep may not even know what you are talking about...

I've requested to have the HD channels authorized on the S-card I'm using on my S3 various times and they just say it is not possible, however I've never asked for an M-Card. Who know you might just get lucky.

Good Luck!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #128
Bumbestia

So You just remove the Mcard from the SA8300HDC an put it in the Tivo HD and re-run the Setup and that's it? no need to do any pairing or to call OL to give any serials or #...? I will be purchasing my Tivo HD this week to be able to get a Lifetime Membership with it just like my Series 2. I will first try to get an Mcard with HD channels and if I get some resistance I will use the Mcard from the SA8300HDC!! I will keep you posted!! Thanks for the info!!

Quote:
Yes, I am using the M-Card from the SA8300HDC Onelink gave me. Both tuners receive the HD Channels and works just as it should on my TiVo HD. Remember that you need to re-run Guided Setup after inserting the M-Card. The only problem is that I'm paying about $22 for the SA8300HDC that I'm not using.

I haven't talk to anyone at Onelink recently, but you can go ahead and request the M-Card with the HD channels. I'm just not sure how hard the Rep will laugh... The Rep may not even know what you are talking about...

I've requested to have the HD channels authorized on the S-card I'm using on my S3 various times and they just say it is not possible, however I've never asked for an M-Card. Who know you might just get lucky.

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #129
crabell

Quote:
So You just remove the Mcard from the SA8300HDC an put it in the Tivo HD and re-run the Setup and that's it? no need to do any pairing or to call OL to give any serials or #...?
At the moment Onelink is not pairing the CableCards so if you already have an SA8300HDC (make sure it has the "C" and that you see the M-Card slot in the back) you would just need to remove the M-Card (phillips screwdriver required) and insert it on your TiVo. Nothing else is required.

If, however, you manage to get an M-Card with HD channels from Onelink you can return the SA8300HDC and save about $13 per month which is not bad (I'm paying about $9 for my S-Card).

Since you will be purchasing the TiVo HD, I would insert the M-Card before running Guided Setup for the first time, that way you only need to run it once.

Let us know if you manage to get an M-Card from Onelink, and if you do, please, make sure to ask the Rep that helped you how others should ask for this service. The Reps' name would also be helpful.

Good Luck!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #130
prpilot

Thanks crabell for translating.

Bumbestia, I just talked to Sra. Acevedo and they are looking to activate HD channels via CableCARD in the May timeframe. They are going through the system configuration/programming now.

Everything else works fine.. premium, music channels, pay per view, etc.. the only thing you don't get right now is HD (see above) and on-demand (who cares?? with TiVo you can get Amazon Unbox and rent movies just as well!! )

Quote:
Thanks prpilot I will be calling to ask about the HD cable card!!

prpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #131
prpilot

Hi Guliver,

They currently use both, but they are REQUIRED BY LAW to give you an 8300HDC (if you place an order for it after July 1, 2007).

I actually took my 8300HD and got it exchanged for an 8300HDC with no problem. (see my earlier post on this.. around December 29, 2007).

Quote:
Originally Posted by guliver View Post
SA8300HD or SA8300HDC
Thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #132
prpilot

Huge update!!!

Today I got two certified letters from OneLink. One of them is my copy of OneLink's response to the FCC. In it, OneLink admits that they are not currently offering HD channels to CableCARD customers.

Based on OneLink's response to the FCC, it looks like the FCC gave OneLink 30 days to start offering this programming or 'else'. In OneLink's letter to the FCC they say: "OneLink understands that it will be able to provide cable card customers the option of receiving the channels in its high definition tier within the next thirty (30) days, once it has finished its internal tests and system programming. Once the service is available, OneLink will notify the Commission (FCC) in order to close this informal complaint proceeding."

The letter from OneLink to the FCC is dated February 7th, so I guess we should expect HD channels on March 7th. Start setting up your CableCARD installation appointments!

The FCC rules!!

P.S. The second certified letter was from OneLink to me acknowledging their issues and that they are addressing them.

Quote:
I've filed my complaint at: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cib/fcc475.cfm

Old 02-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #133
crabell

Quote:
Bumbestia, I just talked to Sra. Acevedo and they are looking to activate HD channels via CableCARD in the May timeframe. They are going through the system configuration/programming now.
That sounds great! Let's hope if they actually do it.

Any word on providing more than 1 CableCard per household?
Quote:
Everything else works fine.. premium, music channels, pay per view, etc.. the only thing you don't get right now is HD (see above) and on-demand (who cares?? with TiVo you can get Amazon Unbox and rent movies just as well!! )
It's my understanding that Unbox does NOT work in Puerto Rico because our units are not located within the 50 states (they can tell by the IP address). Did you manage to get it working? If so, are there any special steps to make it work?

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 AM   #134
crabell

Quote:
They currently use both, but they are REQUIRED BY LAW to give you an 8300HDC (if you place an order for it after July 1, 2007).
I'm not sure your statement is 100% true. I wish it were, though.
I think they are required to provide CableCard enabled boxes after July 1, 2007, however they are NOT required to replace all their current boxes. So they can keep using their current boxes until they all break down, which I imagine will be quite some time.
Any NEW boxes they aquire should be CableCard enabled and it appears they are indeed do in it, but just for HD boxes, not "regular boxes", as far as I can tell.
I may be wrong, but that's what I read somewhere else on the forum and I just wanted to clarify.

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-11-2008, 05:38 AM   #135
crabell

Quote:
Huge update!!!
The letter from OneLink to the FCC is dated February 7th, so I guess we should expect HD channels on March 7th. Start setting up your CableCARD installation appointments!
Great News!

They've actually acnowledged they are doing something wrong and will take steps to correct it? That's definitelly a step in the right direction... Good Work!

I would love to take a look at that letter... anyway you can scan that and post it?

Thanks again and good luck to us all!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #136
Cyrl

I just want to say well done to those of you in this post using the FCC to force your cableco to do what it was supposed to be doing all along. That really takes some determination. Too many people would just let it slide and not press the matter. Kudos to you all and good luck in having them finnaly give you what they should have all along.
Cyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #137
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrl View Post
I just want to say well done to those of you in this post using the FCC to force your cableco to do what it was supposed to be doing all along. That really takes some determination. Too many people would just let it slide and not press the matter. Kudos to you all and good luck in having them finnaly give you what they should have all along.
What else would we spend our time on? Ending world hunger?
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #138
prpilot

Hi crabell,

I got two cablecards after telling the rep that my friend (Joybob) got them after talking to Israel Ramirez. They put me on hold, called Israel Ramirez, got the approval from him and I got the 2nd cablecard installed the week after.

I have not tried Unbox (I just figured it worked). Sucky that it doesn't work .. but I guess it somewhat makes sense given Amazon's reluctance to ship electronics to PR.

Quote:
Any word on providing more than 1 CableCard per household?

It's my understanding that Unbox does NOT work in Puerto Rico because our units are not located within the 50 states (they can tell by the IP address). Did you manage to get it working? If so, are there any special steps to make it work?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #139
prpilot

Crabell,

Yes that's what I meant with my comment "(if you place an order for it after July 1, 2007)". Federal law requires cable companies to distribute CableCARD boxes to consumers after that date for new customers (yes only for HD). If you are an existing customer, I guess you would have to cancel HD for 1 month and then get it again...

Quote:
I'm not sure your statement is 100% true. I wish it were, though.
I think they are required to provide CableCard enabled boxes after July 1, 2007, however they are NOT required to replace all their current boxes. So they can keep using their current boxes until they all break down, which I imagine will be quite some time.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #140
prpilot

Crabell,

I don't actually have a copy of the complaint I filed. I just went online and submitted the complaint to the FCC (took about 15 minutes -- the link is above) on their webpage. They ask you for some very basic information and of course the actual verbiage of the complaint.

I suggest y'all do the same to put even more pressure on OneLink. I don't want March 7 to come and they go back to the FCC and say "uh.. we've run into some issues..."

I can, however, scan and post OneLink's response to the FCC if that would be of any interest.

Quote:
Great News!
I would love to take a look at that letter... anyway you can scan that and post it?

Old 02-13-2008, 05:18 AM   #141
crabell

Quote:
Hi crabell,

I got two cablecards after telling the rep that my friend (Joybob) got them after talking to Israel Ramirez. They put me on hold, called Israel Ramirez, got the approval from him and I got the 2nd cablecard installed the week after.
I'm guessing you got S-Cards, is that right?

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-13-2008, 05:22 AM   #142
crabell

Quote:
I can, however, scan and post OneLink's response to the FCC if that would be of any interest.
Yes, I would be interested in reading Onelink's response to the FCC... they are just very good at writing words that don't say anything using the most ambiguous language you can imagine... I'm guessing the legal department writes these letters.

Thanks!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #143
Cyrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
What else would we spend our time on? Ending world hunger?
If only we could harness our powers for good!

Well I mean I suppose you COULD, or at least make some charitable donations throughout the year.
Cyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #144
Bumbestia

Great news!!! I was unable to get the Tivo HD but I am looking forward next month on buying it and I WILL ask for a Cable Card with HD!! Thanks to prpilot for filling the complaint to the FCC!!! I can't file a complaint because I don't have the TIVO HD!! Thanks again to everyone to help pressure OL on putting the HD channels in their Mcards!!

Quote:
Huge update!!!

Today I got two certified letters from OneLink. One of them is my copy of OneLink's response to the FCC. In it, OneLink admits that they are not currently offering HD channels to CableCARD customers.

Based on OneLink's response to the FCC, it looks like the FCC gave OneLink 30 days to start offering this programming or 'else'. In OneLink's letter to the FCC they say: "OneLink understands that it will be able to provide cable card customers the option of receiving the channels in its high definition tier within the next thirty (30) days, once it has finished its internal tests and system programming. Once the service is available, OneLink will notify the Commission (FCC) in order to close this informal complaint proceeding."

The FCC rules!!

P.S. The second certified letter was from OneLink to me acknowledging their issues and that they are addressing them.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #145
prpilot

Quote:
I'm guessing you got S-Cards, is that right?
Yes I have two S-Cards working in my Tivo HD.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #146
prpilot

Here you go!! FCC1 is the first page, FCC2 is the second page. Remember, this is OneLink's response to the FCC after I filed my complaint online.

Quote:
Yes, I would be interested in reading Onelink's response to the FCC... they are just very good at writing words that don't say anything using the most ambiguous language you can imagine... I'm guessing the legal department writes these letters.

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FCC1.jpg (36.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg FCC2.jpg (38.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #147
Joybob

Well that kind of sucks. Why did they follow up on your complaint but not on mine?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #148
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

I would expect them to use the clause in item number 6 at least once.
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #149
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
I would expect them to use the clause in item number 6 at least once.
They might weasel out? (in laymans terms?)
Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #150
prpilot

I don't know Joybob, but as of LAST NIGHT -- YOU CAN GET HD VIA CABLECARD!

Here are the rates:
CableCARD rental fee: 1.75
Additional CableCARD rental fee: 4.75

HBO HD, Cinemax HD, Starz HD,Showtime HD are free if you have the respective regular channels.

If you want the regular HD channels (A&E, ESPN, Discover, NatGeographic, etc) it's $6 per CableCARD.

For more info, call OneLink at 787-250-7780. If they give you crap, ask to talk to Neddy Acevedo (787-766-0909).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
Well that kind of sucks. Why did they follow up on your complaint but not on mine?