TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #841
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
I think that is is worth noting that while upgrading the hard drive will void the warranty and support, TiVo doesn't consider such activity to be an offense where they would cancel your service or such. It's pretty much "OK, but now you are on your own if your TiVo breaks".
Thus the rest of my post...

Quote:
That said, it's a good idea to simply keep the OEM hard drive and if something goes wrong you can always pop it back in and ship it back...no one will be the wiser (as long as you don't forget a screwdriver in there or something ). Keeping the original drive as a backup is highly recommended anyway.

richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #842
BruceShultes

You also may want to consider getting another esata cable from someplace like SIIG.

Even though my S3 recognized the external drive when I first attached it, I kept having problems until I replaced the cable supplied with my esata enclosure.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #843
ashu
User title defunct

Ummm - he bought his pre-upgraded S3 in October of 2006 - it no longer has a warranty. Even if it were Oct 2007, the parts warranty (or is it labor?) is nigh over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #844
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu View Post
Ummm - he bought his pre-upgraded S3 in October of 2006 - it no longer has a warranty. Even if it were Oct 2007, the parts warranty (or is it labor?) is nigh over.
You're referring to this post by d j h about adding an expansion drive to his upgraded Series3 (which was indeed purchased back in '06).

My (and CharlesH) post about the warranty was in response to this post by dpfelsh regarding his new TiVo HD.

It's easy to get confused around here sometimes.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #845
CTLesq
Oppressor

Mr. Adams,

I see that you have a 1TB internal HD for your Series3.

I have a Series3 as well and am interested in doing the same with my TiVo.

Can you explain how you did that or a vendor that can provide that service? I would be more interested in paying a vendor to do it than to do it myself.)

Please feel free to PM me if it is more appropriate.

Thank you for your time.

CTL

Happy Series 3 Owner!
CTLesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #846
ciper

CTLesq: Section three step 11 of this very FAQ covers this.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #847
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLesq View Post
Can you explain how you did that or a vendor that can provide that service? I would be more interested in paying a vendor to do it than to do it myself.
He most likely did it by reading the FIRST Post in This Thread.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #848
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Try http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/index_tcf.cfm if you aren't willing to upgrade the tivo on your own.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #849
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLesq View Post
Mr. Adams,

I see that you have a 1TB internal HD for your Series3.

I have a Series3 as well and am interested in doing the same with my TiVo.

Can you explain how you did that or a vendor that can provide that service? I would be more interested in paying a vendor to do it than to do it myself.)

Please feel free to PM me if it is more appropriate.

Thank you for your time.

CTL
Mr. Adams was my father...you'll just have to settle for me.

As others have mentioned you can probably find the info you need on the very first post of this thread. Although it's called the "Official eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion", the excellent info collected by bkdtv also discusses internal upgrades. See the very last section, #30.

That said, it's terribly simple to do it yourself if you're at all comfortable opening your PC and connecting a hard drive. There's a program called WinMFS available for free at http:www.mfslive.org. It basically involves removing the existing hard drive from TiVo (very easy), connecting it to your PC (via a SATA connection ideally) along with your new hard drive and running the WinMFS program. A few simple commands later and you pop the new drive in your TiVo and Bob's your uncle (still don't know what that means). The program copies the info on your current drive to the new drive, allows the new size to work with it and that's about it. It took me more time to R&R the hard drives than to actually run the WinMFS program.

You have a couple of choices when it comes to hard drives. The Western Digital drive I used is no longer being offered in a "retail" version and the OEM version which is still available does not work as an internal upgrade for Series3 TiVo's. Western Digital is introducing a new DVR dedicated hard drive line called the WD AV-GP. AFAIK it's not available for sale just yet, but I'd expect it to be in the next few weeks if not sooner. It might be worth the wait.

Hitachi makes the CinemaStar and others are using the Hitachi Deskstar hard drives (although the DeskStars are reportedly fairly noisy). Samsung also makes a good 1TB hard drive which works well. IIRC someone tried using a new Seagate 1TB drive and was not happy with it.

If you're not up for that, you can buy a pre-formatted drive from Weaknees.com or DVR Upgrade. You'd still have to remove and replace the hard drive in your TiVo, but that's a little easier and quicker than doing it all yourself...although more expensive.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Last edited by richsadams : 02-06-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #850
logicman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicman1 View Post
Decided to build my own expander. I found the Seagate 750Gb ST3750840SCE at ComputerHQ for $216.61 with free shipping. Found the Antec MX-1 enclosure at Buy.com for $52.24 also with free shipping. Buy.com also has the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable for $9.24 ($6.79 shipping). So for $284.88 I have 50% more space than the My DVR Expander.
Been up and running for a couple of weeks now - easy set up, works great. No problems after a power failure either.
logicman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #851
CTLesq
Oppressor

Thanks to everyone who responded, I will take all of this into consideration.

Happy Series 3 Owner!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #852
The Swami

How snug a fit should the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable be? It seems there is some good play up and down in my Antec MX-1 enclosure with this cable. Then again, I did not buy this SIIG from one of the listed vendors in the FAQ, so perhaps that is not the specific cable I was really shipped?

It took at least 5 reboots and moving the drive around considerably and replugging the cable over and over with a lot of jiggling it up and around to get it recognized by my S3 as an attached external storage device. I'm guessing that is not the norm for this cable here.

So I'm wondering if I should go out and try to get a replacement from one of the linked places in the FAQ for the CB-SA0111-S1. (I also noted in #s10/11 it calls this cable the CB-SA03111-S1, I am assuming that this "3" model is an outdated cable no longer worthy of use?)...I am hooking up from my Series3 to the aforementioned Antec MX-1 enclosure containing a Hitachi 1TB CinemaStar. Wasn't expecting to see the cable so easily moveable up/down. Any ideas or comments appreciated. thanks!
The Swami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #853
logicman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swami View Post
How snug a fit should the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 ... (I also noted in #s10/11 it calls this cable the CB-SA03111-S1, I am assuming that this "3" model is an outdated cable no longer worthy of use?)...
The cable you have (assuming you meant CB-SA0311-S1) has eSATA to SATA I connectors and is used for connecting a retail eSATA drive to the SATA port on your PC. This is probably the source of all the trouble you had. The CB-SA0111-S1 has eSATA connectors on each end and is what you need to connect an external drive enclosure to the S3. As far as snuggness goes, the connectors fit tightly but do not seem to lock in with a positive snap.

Last edited by logicman1 : 02-07-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #854
richsadams

As logicman1 mentions, good eSATA cables with proper connectors will be snug at both ends.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #855
The Swami

i musta got hosed then. i did purchase (ostensibly) the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable. the end in the Tivo is snug indeed. the end going into the Antec is not. or not nearly as fitting as the Tivo end is anyway. i'll see about getting another cable for comparison sakes just to see if it makes a difference or if i'm losing my mind.
The Swami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #856
richsadams

Quote:
i musta got hosed then. i did purchase (ostensibly) the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable. the end in the Tivo is snug indeed. the end going into the Antec is not. or not nearly as fitting as the Tivo end is anyway. i'll see about getting another cable for comparison sakes just to see if it makes a difference or if i'm losing my mind.
Before you order another cable, try connecting the eSATA cable that came with the MX-1. If it's also loose at the enclosure connection it may not be the cable...but the connector in the MX-1. IIRC there was one other post that said the connector on their MX-1 was faulty and they were able to get a replacement enclosure from Antec. Just a thought.

I guess I'd also try using the Antec cable as well. Ours worked flawlessly but I bought our enclosure back in April or so...seems the eSATA cables they were shipping last summer were problematic and then by the fall it seemed to have cleared up.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #857
logicman1

Quote:
i musta got hosed then. i did purchase (ostensibly) the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable...
I misunderstood and thought you bought a CB-SA0311-S1, but that would be impossible to connect. As Rich said, try the MX-1 cable. The only difference I could see between the SIIG and Antec cables was that the SIIG's connectors (the part that inserts into the socket) were a bit longer.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #858
danitaz

Quote:
When using USB->SATA adapters, this copy process can take as long as several days depending on the number of recordings on your original drive. WinMFS does not refresh its GUI during this process, so it may appear to hang, but it is still working as intended. If you want to monitor the progress of WinMFS' copying, use 'Ctrl+Alt-Del' to invoke the Windows Task Manager, then navigate to 'Bytes In' and 'Bytes Out.'
I'm trying to fix a problem with my TiVO rebooting on HD channels, which seems to be hard drive related. I have both drives connected internally, not USB (we did try USB and indeed it seemed like it was going to take days, so after letting it run overnight I stopped it and put the drives internal). Up to almost 50%, the GUI DID update, and now it says I have 51 minutes left, and the bytes in/bytes out are not updating. Perplexing. Could it be that my Tivo HD is so bad that it can't continue the copy? I'm tempted to put the old drive back in the TiVO, T2GO any programs that I want to keep, and then just do a backup/restore without the programs to see how that goes.

Any other suggestions? During the process I'm "upgrading" the drive to a 1TB drive, so I don't know if maybe there is just some kind of a "lag" while the TiVO "finishes" the process.

Thanks.

Danita
danitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #859
danitaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by danitaz View Post
I'm tempted to put the old drive back in the TiVO, T2GO any programs that I want to keep, and then just do a backup/restore without the programs to see how that goes.
Actually, that's what I did - so far so good with the HD recordings.

Danita
Old 02-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #860
lrhorer

Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Mr. Adams was my father...you'll just have to settle for me.
We're devastated, but we'll cope somehow.

Quote:
you pop the new drive in your TiVo and Bob's your uncle (still don't know what that means).
I think it probably has something to do with a great sense of relief to be assured he isn't one's father.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #861
lrhorer

Incompatible Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 500G

I bought a Hitachi Deskstar HDP725050GLA360 500G SATA hard drive to upgrade the 160G stock hard drive in my TiVo HD, and it will not work in this application. Win_MFS copies the partitions just fine, and I can read and write all the ordinary files using a Linux boot, but no matter what, the drive will not boot. Instead, it enters into an infinite reboot loop before even loading the OS. I went down to Wal-Mart and got a Western Digital 320G, and it boots just fine. It seems evident this model is incompatible with the TiVo Hd, at least as a primary drive. Why, I don't know.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #862
lrhorer

Antec MX-1

Quote:
Before you order another cable, try connecting the eSATA cable that came with the MX-1. If it's also loose at the enclosure connection it may not be the cable...but the connector in the MX-1. IIRC there was one other post that said the connector on their MX-1 was faulty and they were able to get a replacement enclosure from Antec. Just a thought.
Note that aside from the cable issue, the Antec MX-1 has had a great success record. I have three of them, and they are great. Dozens of users in this forum have used them with few issues.

Quote:
I guess I'd also try using the Antec cable as well. Ours worked flawlessly but I bought our enclosure back in April or so...seems the eSATA cables they were shipping last summer were problematic and then by the fall it seemed to have cleared up.
I'd rate that as a good thing. First of all, even with the faulty cable issue (which I experienced), the enclosure is well worth the price in my estimation. Any manufacturer can encounter a design flaw or quality control issue with one of their products. This does not in and of itself imply a poor product. A manufacturer who experieces such an issue and fixes it definitely providees a worthy product.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #863
lrhorer

A neat little trick

I ran across this neat little trick over on the MFS_Live forum:

Swap the little SATA cables inside the TiVo and move the internal drive to an e-SATA enclosure like the Antec MX-1. This makes things like replacing, upgrading, or maintaining the internal drive much easier.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #864
danitaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I ran across this neat little trick over on the MFS_Live forum:

Swap the little SATA cables inside the TiVo and move the internal drive to an e-SATA enclosure like the Antec MX-1. This makes things like replacing, upgrading, or maintaining the internal drive much easier.
That's an interesting idea. I still have my TiVo "half apart" - well, at least I haven't put all of the screws back yet - and since I accidentally got the WD drive that won't soft reboot, I WILL have to change it out again one of these days anyway. I just want to wait until I know that replacing the hard drive in the first place fixes my overall problem (rebooting on HD channels - and in the past 24 hours it SEEMS to have fixed that). Once I know that a new drive fixes the problem, and a soft reboot lock up makes me miss out on something I wish it hadn't, I'll get a different drive and make the WD the external drive - so putting it in an external eSATA enclosure now would make that eventual swap an easy one! I'll have to look for a cable tomorrow and see if I can make that happen. Of course, with the problems people have with the external enclosure cables, I'm only "hopeful" that a SATA>eSATA cable would be stable enough to keep my fussy TiVO happy!

Danita
Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #865
Clentz

Quote:
That's an interesting idea. I still have my TiVo "half apart" - well, at least I haven't put all of the screws back yet - and since I accidentally got the WD drive that won't soft reboot, I WILL have to change it out again one of these days anyway. I just want to wait until I know that replacing the hard drive in the first place fixes my overall problem (rebooting on HD channels - and in the past 24 hours it SEEMS to have fixed that). Once I know that a new drive fixes the problem, and a soft reboot lock up makes me miss out on something I wish it hadn't, I'll get a different drive and make the WD the external drive - so putting it in an external eSATA enclosure now would make that eventual swap an easy one! I'll have to look for a cable tomorrow and see if I can make that happen. Of course, with the problems people have with the external enclosure cables, I'm only "hopeful" that a SATA>eSATA cable would be stable enough to keep my fussy TiVO happy!

Danita
Keep the cable short (The connector long)
Carl
Clentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 AM   #866
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...I'm only "hopeful" that a SATA>eSATA cable would be stable enough to keep my fussy TiVO happy!
I think what he was talking about was, on a THD, swapping the port on the TiVo mainboard that the eSATA connector plugs into. So, you would still be eSATA to eSATA but the internal drive would now be outside in an enclosure. I see limited value in doing that in that the external cable is inherently unstable in that the eSATA spec includes no locking mechanism. Also, in such a case additional expansion would require putting the drive back as internal.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #867
CTLesq
Oppressor

I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to my question re: eSata, including those who correctly suggested I read the first post in the thread.

Ultimately, I opted for the Western Digital My DVR Expander. For my purposes, ease of installation, reliability and cost (although not a huge factor) I felt this was the best choice/path of least resistance for me.

I work a great deal which means sometimes shows sit on my Series3 for quite some time. I think there is a lot of TV right now that is appealing to me and having the additional storage space will be a great help.

Also, the advice in the posts and the first thread made installing the Western Digital My DVR Expander an absolute snap.

Again, thanks for all your help and advice.

Craig

Happy Series 3 Owner!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #868
iWish

Thanks

I wanted to thank the originator of this thread and the moderator.

I bought the green cavier 1TB drive with the antec case to add as an external drive to my series 3.

With tax about $300 for the package.

It has been working no problem for a week or so and there is absolutely no noise coming from the drive.

Since UHD was showing all Jericho issues in advance of the recent new episode, I decided to make the plunge.

165 hours of HD recording time is ridiculous but I love it!

Thanks again.
iWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #869
lrhorer

Expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
I think what he was talking about was, on a THD, swapping the port on the TiVo mainboard that the eSATA connector plugs into.
That's right. If the user has 2 drives and no other hacking has been performed, then the utility of this is somewhat limited. One of my TiVos (a TiVO HD) only has one drive, and I don't intend to upgrade. The other two re not hacked, so I haven't performed this minor surgery on them, yet, but I do intend to hack them and when I do I will no doubt swap the drive locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
So, you would still be eSATA to eSATA but the internal drive would now be outside in an enclosure. I see limited value in doing that in that the external cable is inherently unstable in that the eSATA spec includes no locking mechanism. Also, in such a case additional expansion would require putting the drive back as internal.
No, additional expansion requires REMOVING both drives, so for simple 2 drive capacity expansion the trick provides little value but also few if any real drawbacks. In general, however, the only modifications which require both drives is capacity expansion. All other hacks only require the primary drive, and of course even capacity expansion only requires the one drive if one only has one drive.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #870
lrhorer

Ridiculous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWish View Post
165 hours of HD recording time is ridiculous but I love it!
Ridiculous? 'Hardly. I have a total of over 1000 HD hours, and I'll be running out of room sometime late this year. Fortunately, expanding the system is easy and fairly cheap.