Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #2821
AlexK777

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK777 View Post
I had a bad experience with TW Austin.
I have to amend this post. About 5 minutes after I posted, I got a PM from cableguy763. He said if I was still up, let him know and he would call me. I did, and he called me and did the mojo on my cable cards to get everything working again. Bear in mind this is at 12:30 on a Saturday night.

I think this is more a testament to cableguy763 than TW Austin, but it certainly was a welcome change from typical cable service. If you are in Austin, you should definitely drop him a line before getting things set up.
AlexK777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #2822
juggler314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck w TWCNYC View Post
I'm in Manhattan and have had a Tivo3 mostly working with a single multicast card for a few months now after initially dealing with a few bouts of incompetence at TWC to get it going. I'm still not a satisfied customer. Has anyone else experienced the following?

1. Periodically the cablecard just stops being recognized with a message indicating the service is not communicating with the card. To fix it, I have to reset the Tivo3, which appears to redo all the client/server setup calls (400+ blocks of data over thirty minutes).

2. I feel I'm overpaying. TWC lists a pkg to have home cable for internet and tivo in a package called DTValue, but indicates it is only an option to those with cablebox. Users of cablecard they say must get the channels "ala cart", which in net effect means the first cablecard is ~$22, not $1.75.

3. I pay for HBO but don't see 201 through 207, e.g. HBO2 and other channels as we did before getting rid of the cablebox. We only get 780 (HD HBO). A call to support was fruitless, he said it was the card itself -- wrong answer since 2 independent cards had the same problem (I have a 2nd cablecard on the TV). Completely clueless support, he basically pointed me to the aforementioned DTValue package and remedied with 1 free month of Cinemax, which then became a charge on my next bill. Gee, thanks, TWC!

4. slightly off topic for Tivo, but it seems some knowledgable folks are on this forum. The 2nd cablecard in the TV periodicaly throws error 161-10 onscreen a few times a week. Turning off/on the TV makes it go away.

I've written a long letter off to a "research dept." in Flushing NY, but remain skeptical these clowns have a clue, or more to the point, *care* to have a clue on how to support cablecard, and they don't mind that by their pricing and incompetence they are probably in violation of the 1996 law.

I've never been a big fan of class action suits since going to a competitor is the best method for consumers to show displeasure, but TWC is clearly deserving of one.
These guys need firm message, and for apt. dwellers, satellite is not a realistic competitive alternative, which makes TWC a true monopoly, and one that has run amuck and is not accountable.

Any thoughts are welcome as would word from other NYC residents trying to use cablecards and interested in pursuing legal options.
I'm totally with you, a page or two ago in this forum I mentioned that my bill went from 61.50 (DTValue package) to 66.85 with CC because TWCNYC only does "a la carte" pricing with CC's. To me this breaks FCC rules, you can't be told that you have to provide a service than price it significantly higher than using the box. And I have to point out that the DTValue package that "includes a cable box" also includes a CC by default since TWC is required to use CC's in it's own boxes as well. So now I'm being charged more and getting less.

I tried to find the right complaint form for the FCC, but the one I found linked in here somewhere pointed to a form that had lots of questions about telephone lines...not sure it's correct. If anyone can tell me the link to the correct form to file a complaint with the FCC over services relating to Cable please let me know!
juggler314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #2823
m_jonis

Well you could be in Albany, NY where about 18 of the new HD channels are SDV and they're switching a bunch of digital channels over to SDV now as well.

Essentially forcing you to pay another $8.95/month for a STB (and also no TivoHD) just to get the channels.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #2824
socrplyr

I just got a cable card put in my Tivo HD in Ithaca, NY. Everything went smoothly and it was a good experience. For the most part it seems like I get everything but a couple of HD channels. (I don't have an HDTV right now.) I have never had this many channels before so I doubt I will miss them especially since I don't have much time to watch tv anyways. The only odd thing was that after putting in the cable card, it did a firmware update. That took a while and it killed my wireless connection. I switched to a wired one and then ran the setup again. After that I plugged in my wireless and it worked flawlessly again. I don't know what caused it but it works find now.
Josh
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #2825
RickBarrett

Just had two TW Cable Cards installed in an HD in Dallas Texas. Everything seems to be working and the bill is $17 for the service call and $2.95/mo per cable card. Haven't seen the new bill yet...we'll see.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #2826
bananaman

I'm in Manhattan too, but maybe I lead a charmed life! I have a Series 3 with two Scientific Atlanta M-Cards. They were installed in a single two hour visit from a TWC tech, along with the RoadRunner Standard cable internet modem. I'm not seeing any communication problems or other errors.

I'm paying as per the TWC web site, which is what I expected. I agree that it would be nice for CableCard subscribers to get access to the "Triple Play" and "Double Play" packages. It seems bizarre that they are not offered to CableCard users. I use Vonage for VOIP phone, totally happy, and TWC have no interesting phone offer to make me switch! Not only does TWC have a a vastly inferior VOIP phone feature set to Vonage, but also they want way more money for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck w TWCNYC View Post
I'm in Manhattan and have had a Tivo3 mostly working with a single multicast card for a few months now after initially dealing with a few bouts of incompetence at TWC to get it going. I'm still not a satisfied customer. Has anyone else experienced the following?

1. Periodically the cablecard just stops being recognized with a message indicating the service is not communicating with the card. To fix it, I have to reset the Tivo3, which appears to redo all the client/server setup calls (400+ blocks of data over thirty minutes).

2. I feel I'm overpaying. TWC lists a pkg to have home cable for internet and tivo in a package called DTValue, but indicates it is only an option to those with cablebox. Users of cablecard they say must get the channels "ala cart", which in net effect means the first cablecard is ~$22, not $1.75.

3. I pay for HBO but don't see 201 through 207, e.g. HBO2 and other channels as we did before getting rid of the cablebox. We only get 780 (HD HBO). A call to support was fruitless, he said it was the card itself -- wrong answer since 2 independent cards had the same problem (I have a 2nd cablecard on the TV). Completely clueless support, he basically pointed me to the aforementioned DTValue package and remedied with 1 free month of Cinemax, which then became a charge on my next bill. Gee, thanks, TWC!

4. slightly off topic for Tivo, but it seems some knowledgable folks are on this forum. The 2nd cablecard in the TV periodicaly throws error 161-10 onscreen a few times a week. Turning off/on the TV makes it go away.

I've written a long letter off to a "research dept." in Flushing NY, but remain skeptical these clowns have a clue, or more to the point, *care* to have a clue on how to support cablecard, and they don't mind that by their pricing and incompetence they are probably in violation of the 1996 law.

I've never been a big fan of class action suits since going to a competitor is the best method for consumers to show displeasure, but TWC is clearly deserving of one.
These guys need firm message, and for apt. dwellers, satellite is not a realistic competitive alternative, which makes TWC a true monopoly, and one that has run amuck and is not accountable.

Any thoughts are welcome as would word from other NYC residents trying to use cablecards and interested in pursuing legal options.

bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #2827
mercurial
Retro-Av

Had the TWC in yesterday trying to install an M-card in our new THD. Since we already had S3s I knew it would likely be a pain. Got there at 10:30 and finally gave up and left at 2:00. They're supposed to be back at 5pm tonight.

Basically they disconnected everything but the feed to this TiVo to give it the best signal first but claim the issue is with the TWC head-end and they they were "backed up sending hits". Never heard that one before but hey, if they show up tonight and get it working, they'll have got it going in 50% fewwer visits than the first time...
Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #2828
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
Had the TWC in yesterday trying to install an M-card in our new THD. Since we already had S3s I knew it would likely be a pain. Got there at 10:30 and finally gave up and left at 2:00. They're supposed to be back at 5pm tonight.

Basically they disconnected everything but the feed to this TiVo to give it the best signal first but claim the issue is with the TWC head-end and they they were "backed up sending hits". Never heard that one before but hey, if they show up tonight and get it working, they'll have got it going in 50% fewwer visits than the first time...
The first guy they sent to my house in Holly Springs did the same "disconnect everything" routine. And it still didn't work. After he left, someone called me and said he just found 2 cards that he knows works, and they will bring them out the next day. They showed up the next day, put the cards in, called in the numbers, and everything worked. No disconnecting necessary.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #2829
Plymouth Duster

I purchased an HDTV at Christmas, along with an HDTivo. The Audio/Video company I purchased the HDTV from is a contractor for Time Warner (Beaumont, TX) and they installed two S-Cards in the HDTivo. Problems abounded. After two service calls, Time Warner took my HDTivo to the shop for installation. (The service tech was a very nice guy, but admitted that he had just started working with cablecards that week.) The HDTivo was returned with one S-Card around January 3, 2008, with a promise that I would receive an M-Card as soon as they arrived in approximately two to three weeks. The tech explained that they could not get the HDTivo to work in our service area with two S-Cards, but it would work fine when one M-Card is installed.

I'm not sure I believe anything they have told me about S-Cards vs. M-Cards working with Time Warner in my area (Beaumont, TX). Has anyone had any similar experience with Time Warner and CableCards?
Plymouth Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #2830
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymouth Duster View Post
I purchased an HDTV at Christmas, along with an HDTivo. The Audio/Video company I purchased the HDTV from is a contractor for Time Warner (Beaumont, TX) and they installed two S-Cards in the HDTivo. Problems abounded. After two service calls, Time Warner took my HDTivo to the shop for installation. (The service tech was a very nice guy, but admitted that he had just started working with cablecards that week.) The HDTivo was returned with one S-Card around January 3, 2008, with a promise that I would receive an M-Card as soon as they arrived in approximately two to three weeks. The tech explained that they could not get the HDTivo to work in our service area with two S-Cards, but it would work fine when one M-Card is installed.

I'm not sure I believe anything they have told me about S-Cards vs. M-Cards working with Time Warner in my area (Beaumont, TX). Has anyone had any similar experience with Time Warner and CableCards?
They're giving you a bunch of BS. It will work fine with two S-Cards, unless 1) there's something wrong with your particular TiVo or 2) there was something wrong with that particular S-card.

Call for a service appointment and don't let them off the hook until they have it working, or contact your dealer and see if they can replace your TiVo and try the cards in another one.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #2831
brown_squirrel

Signal Strength

Hi. First Post.

I have a single M card from Time Warner. I read in another post that signal strength (messages/settings, account/system info, diagnostics) should be over 60. My signal strength=44.

Signal strength is just how strong the transmission from TWC is, right? How can I improve this? Can I try better cables or anything?

Thanks!
brown_squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #2832
m_jonis

Well, in Albany, NY we're at 97 SDV channels and climbing. At this rate, I'm gonna have to dump my TivoHD and pay the extra $15/month for TW STB DVR.

I highly doubt the elusive tuning resolver will even be available by July 1, 2008 (and from what I can tell, because TW using SA equipment here, it'll be even longer).
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #2833
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_squirrel View Post
Hi. First Post.

I have a single M card from Time Warner. I read in another post that signal strength (messages/settings, account/system info, diagnostics) should be over 60. My signal strength=44.

Signal strength is just how strong the transmission from TWC is, right? How can I improve this? Can I try better cables or anything?

Thanks!
Call the cable company and have them come out and check signal strength. They will fix it if needed (in my experience).
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #2834
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_squirrel View Post
Hi. First Post.

Thanks!
It usually involves removing or replacing splitters.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #2835
jmbissell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post
Yeah I was speaking more about the non-OTA stuff. I'm probably overly critical.

BTW Cable guy I've been meaning to ask you, my QAM channels seem to be not there lately. Right now all I get is CBS KEYE and the Tivo thinks it is KLRU! The Tivo info is there when I tune the channel but no image appears except for the above mentioned CBS on the wrong channel number. I'm seeing this on both the TVHD and the S3. I'm on TWC analog in Oak Hill.

Any thoughts?
I've had the same problem for weeks. Watched football on 1531 on a Sunday and then by Monday all the 1500 channels were gone (CBS was KLRU for a day or so). TW sent a tech out and he claimed it must be a signal strength problem. Changed out connectors and splitter to no avail. Left after spending a couple hours and still no 1500 channels. TW tech support stopped responding to my queries on this - I need to try them again. I am able to get the local HD stations on 82.x to 84.x (I'd have to look for the exact numbers) but, of course, the TiVo program guide lists the 1500 channels for local HD. I'm in S. Austin (Lamar/Oltorf) so maybe it's just a problem at our end of town.
jmbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #2836
jmbissell

FWIW, I just checked TW-Austin's latest channel guide (http://www.timewarnercentral.com/austin.pdf) and it now shows all the HD channels (including the local stations) grouped on the High Def tier with a note that says, "HD Converter & HDTV required to receive HD programming." I thought they had an obligation to carry the local HD channels on clear QAM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #2837
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbissell View Post
FWIW, I just checked TW-Austin's latest channel guide (http://www.timewarnercentral.com/austin.pdf) and it now shows all the HD channels (including the local stations) grouped on the High Def tier with a note that says, "HD Converter & HDTV required to receive HD programming." I thought they had an obligation to carry the local HD channels on clear QAM.
They do carry the HD locals in clear qam. Do a channel scan.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #2838
jmbissell

Yes, I can get them in the 82.x-84.x range. But those channels aren't in the TiVo Guide so I can't program them by program name but rather would have to program a specific channel/time which sort of defeats the purpose of having TiVo. I have been using an antenna w/TiVo to get the local HD channels and watching the 8x.x cable versions on my TV.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #2839
cableguy763

Quote:
Yes, I can get them in the 82.x-84.x range. But those channels aren't in the TiVo Guide so I can't program them by program name but rather would have to program a specific channel/time which sort of defeats the purpose of having TiVo. I have been using an antenna w/TiVo to get the local HD channels and watching the 8x.x cable versions on my TV.
I think I heard that TW might have done some maintenance last night that could have changed that. Please do a rescan.

If they aren't fixed, then you are in the same boat as just about every other non cablecard user. There are extensive threads in this forum begging for clear qam mapping ability from tivo.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #2840
jmbissell

Nothing seems to have changed here. I don't need TiVo to change anything (although programming your own channels might be a good addition). I just need TW to put the local HD programs where their guide says they should be.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #2841
cableguy763

Quote:
Nothing seems to have changed here. I don't need TiVo to change anything (although programming your own channels might be a good addition). I just need TW to put the local HD programs where their guide says they should be.
If you have a cable box, the channels are where the guide says. Thus the asterisk. Not trying to go in circles with you at all. You are feeling the pain of many clear qam only users.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #2842
jmbissell

I understand that you're not trying to give me the run-around. Seems like the TW office thinks there is a problem or else they just roll a truck for every issue even though I tell them that others are having the same problem. No wonder my rates keep going up.

I don't want a cable box and can keep getting the local stations w/antenna. My TV only has one coax input so I'll just use the 82.x-84.x mappings on TW for the local channels. The previous TW channel guide did not specify that you needed a box to get the 15xx channels. IMHO, it's hardly "clear QAM" if I have to get a box. And the channels are hardly free if I have to pay for a box every month. TW may be within the letter of the law but certainly not the spirit.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #2843
jhaggs

I just had an M card installed in the Tivo HD box in the North Dallas area. I am getting all channels up to around 100 and then I lose many channels just over 100 and the HD tier. I get the local HD's however. I have called tech support numerous times and they try to hit the cards but no change just a gray screen. A tech was to come out last night but never showed so I am supposed to get a call back today but so far nothing there. I notice on the gray channels I am supposed to get when I go into conditioanal access the Auth is coming up Auth:MP instead of Auth:S or Succeed. Anyone else seen this and any suggestions on what might be happening and where to start on this?
jhaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #2844
Myphsto

Missing Channels on cable card Time Warner WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest User1 View Post
Yes I am getting ESPH HD just not ESPH 2 HD. I was not getting it right away though so what I did was call the number that is listed in the TIVO guide menu (time warner number) and had them Re-authorize my (4) cable cards with the channel lineup that I subscribe to. I had them do that (2) times in total after the technician had left.

The only HD channels I lost due to the SDV were: ESPN2 HD,TBSHD, A&EHD, & HGTVHD
I have it on good authority that Time Warner is not currently doing SDV for several channels that do not display on cable card devices-- yet we do not get them. The reason is if they offer these channels to cable cards per the FCC regs they have to ALWAYS offer them to cable card users. Many of the new HD channels are being left off the cable card programming that are not SDV because of this. Time Warner wants to leave the door open for doing SDV on any channel it's not currently providing to cable cards because right now cable cards can't do SDV.

Here is how to detect if a non SDV channel is being left off of your lineup on purpose for these reasons.

Tune to the channel number. If you get a GREY screen it is a channel that is SDV or you do not subscribe to. If instead you see the default Time Warner channel (scrolls PPV movie ads etc over and over) it is a non-SDV channel which 'could' be allowed to be seen on your cable card but is not.

I currently should be able to get these channels that are non-SDV AND are part of my package but I cannot because they have been left off the programming for cable cards.

117 ESPNU
157 NIKTON
164 FPN
172 LOGO
188 MPLEX
528 ESPN2HD (mentioned here several times)
*Just added and of course they left off*
534 TBSHD
537 HGTVHD
542 AETVHD
545 MOJOHD

If you live in the Milwaukee/Waukesha WI TW area and have cable cards please check these channels. If you see the TW trailer, you're paying for content you could technically be watching but TW didn't program to send to cable cards.

Call and complain. I know they don't listen, but even without SDV we should be getting what we pay for. They really should be using SDV for channels that do not have a huge market, and leaving the normal channels non-SDV. They can do this, we need to make sure they hear us.
Myphsto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #2845
stevec5375

I just received an email today from Time Warner Cable in Central Texas informing me of great new programming:

1620 - National Geographic HD
1658 - Lifetime Movie
1633 - Weather Channel HD
1680 - Movie Channel HD
and more...

Guess what? I can't see any of them. This leads me to believe they are using Switched Digital Video for them. How long must we suffer with the inability to view SDV channels on the Tivo? If I'd known this before I bought it, I would never have made the purchase. What a rip off and a pain.
stevec5375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #2846
nikki01

Question about TWC Manhattan

Hey everyone,

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with TWC. Had a question, and would appreciate any help anyone could give me. I just bought a Tivo HD. I called TWC twice in the past 3 days for info and cablecards. This is what I was told:

--They do NOT have M-cards. They will have to install 2 cards.
-30.30 truck roll, 19.99 to install extra card, about 3.50 a month total for both cards together
-I will get ALL the channels I currently get with my premium digital cable option
-my triple play package will not be affected

This seems contradictory to some other posts I have seen here. Is this information correct? My main questions are: 1) Can I get a single M-card here in TWC Manhattan, 2) Will I get ALL my channels? Are there any SDV channels? 3)Does the cost sound right? Will triple play get affected if I turn in my box? The guy is coming out in about 4 days.
Thnx for any help!
nikki01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #2847
ruhmann

TWC Austin, can't get digital channels

Why the heck do they send contractors to install these cable cards?!? The guy was really nice and admitted that he's never installed these new multi-stream cards before. Everything seemed to go smoothly. I couldn't get digital channels but the guy said that they'd work in two hours. It's been eight hours and digital channels still don't work. I'll have to call them tomorrow and I'm sure they'll get it straightened out. This is more a note to everyone else: Don't let the tech leave until it all works. Don't let him/her tell you that it'll work in a few hours. Make him call the central office again. I was an idiot and believed him when he said it would work in a few hours.

Also, the tech was not at all needed. I could have stuck the card in and called 485-5555 as well. But, I had to pay $35 so some contractor to do it.
ruhmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:07 AM   #2848
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhmann View Post
Why the heck do they send contractors to install these cable cards?!? The guy was really nice and admitted that he's never installed these new multi-stream cards before. Everything seemed to go smoothly. I couldn't get digital channels but the guy said that they'd work in two hours. It's been eight hours and digital channels still don't work. I'll have to call them tomorrow and I'm sure they'll get it straightened out. This is more a note to everyone else: Don't let the tech leave until it all works. Don't let him/her tell you that it'll work in a few hours. Make him call the central office again. I was an idiot and believed him when he said it would work in a few hours.

Also, the tech was not at all needed. I could have stuck the card in and called 485-5555 as well. But, I had to pay $35 so some contractor to do it.
Send me a PM with a contact number and I can help get you fixed up. Hopefully all over the phone.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #2849
spaced

Just wanted to share my positive Series 3 install story:

I just closed on a new construction house. Had TWC install (RoadRunner and digital cable) scheduled the next day with an 8 AM to 12 PM window. Installer called about 9:45 asking to clarify directions and showed up at 10. He was quite pleasant, seemed knowledgeable and worked fast. He had to run a new line from the junction box to the house, install a new box on the side of my house, and make all the necessary connections. He then installed and verified my cable modem. Then on to the TiVo.

I handed him the "give this to the cable installer" sheet which he read thoroughly and followed exactly. He brought three S-cards with him, took the first, wrote down the serial number and inserted it. He said "They usually send me out on cablecard orders, I've done a few of these before. The big question is who I talk to when I call in." A little anxiety here on my part, but he seemed confident.

At this point I had to tend to the other installers (security, blinds, etc) that were in my house at the time so I let him do his thing. When he was done, I had a fully working TiVo, digital and HD channels coming in crystal clear. He explained to me he knew it was working because he could see EMMs coming in, showed me the config screen, etc. He thanked me for having updated the software and doing guided setup in advance.

Total time was 1 hour, 15 minutes. I was nervous about the whole thing from the get-go but everything turned out perfectly and it has worked like a champ since then.
spaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 AM   #2850
gamo62

I have TWC here in Cincinnati. Anyone here know a workaround that allows me not to have to use my cable cards and still get guide data from the digital channels that are passed thru? Such as 12-1, 19-1. All I have is Lifeline. I'm paying $6.95 for the local HD channels that I get as a pass thru. They do show up in the guide, but there are no descriptions. Thanks.
If I use the antenna to get the channels, the information does show up.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote