TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #4951
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rg View Post
Just trying to understand.. The S3 requires 2 cards (either S or M), right? It cannot use a single M-Card for dual tuning?

Anyone know if it would work for an S-Card and an M-Card?

Thanks
Theoretically, should be no difference. To the S3, a cable card is a cable card. Should not matter whether S, M, or any combination of the two.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #4952
hoyatables

Success in Arlington!

Tech came with one multi-stream cable card. Tech actually failed to get it activated, but a follow-up call to Comcast and a relatively short 15-minute wait later, channels are active and Tivo is working in HD.

Tech suggested that there were still problems getting cable cards in the warehouse but somehow I was successful in getting one.
hoyatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #4953
hoyatables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Yes and Yes, it will only use the M as a single stream.
My multi-stream card seems to have no trouble recording two streams in HD
hoyatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #4954
KraziJoe
What? Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyatables View Post
My multi-stream card seems to have no trouble recording two streams in HD
He is talking about an S3 not the TivoHD.
KraziJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #4955
KraziJoe
What? Me Worry?

Quote:
Success in Arlington!

Tech came with one multi-stream cable card. Tech actually failed to get it activated, but a follow-up call to Comcast and a relatively short 15-minute wait later, channels are active and Tivo is working in HD.

Tech suggested that there were still problems getting cable cards in the warehouse but somehow I was successful in getting one.
Would you mind PM'ing me your Techs name and your name so I can get ready for an asschewing in case they try to screw me over again on Friday?

Thanks
KraziJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #4956
edskee

Harford County, MD, only receiving locals (+HD)

Heres an odd one I havent seen yet.

I just got my cablecards installed in my S3 yesterday, and the only channels I am receiving are my locals (what I could get from an antenna) and my locals in HD as well. I receive a few scattered other random channels like CSPAN-2 and some religious channel in the 40's.

I called comcast they insist all the signals have been sent correctly. No errors or issues on the install.

Anyone see this before and have any idea what to do here?
edskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #4957
Voltron

I have the new Motorola box that supports CableCard. What will CableCard allow me to do?
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #4958
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edskee View Post
Heres an odd one I havent seen yet.

I just got my cablecards installed in my S3 yesterday, and the only channels I am receiving are my locals (what I could get from an antenna) and my locals in HD as well. I receive a few scattered other random channels like CSPAN-2 and some religious channel in the 40's.

I called comcast they insist all the signals have been sent correctly. No errors or issues on the install.

Anyone see this before and have any idea what to do here?
What do the conditional access screens say for the cards?

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #4959
edskee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
What do the conditional access screens say for the cards?
I saw some mention of conditional access screens... I dont have an option that is called Conditional Access.

I have:
RESERVED
RESERVED
SA CableCARD CP Screen
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
SA CableCARD/Host ID Screen
RESERVED

None say conditional access, what screen should I be looking at?
edskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #4960
illthreat

Well.. The tech came out to install my CableCard(s) today.

He enters the room, asks what the job is, and I mention the Tivo HD , CableCards, etc.. - No clue. Doesn't even have the work order showing the request for the CableCards.

2 more techs show up to help him finish the job. None of them having a clue where the CC were at.. The excuse was the tech that came to the house was given the job by another tech earlier in the day.. I tell them perhaps the other tech has the CC... their reply- "Don't know".

I ask the 3 techs standing in my living room what they expect me to do from here... Response: "Don't Know".

So, I call 800-comcast with all 3 of them still in the room. Get a CSR on the phone, explain the situation- and he gets one of the techs standing in my living room on the line. Blah blah blah.. CSR tells the tech to re-schedule it internally so it won't take another 10 days to do through the national CSR line...

I am to call the supervisor tomorrow to re-schedule the CC install. . That is of course if they even have them to begin with.. Or even understands what it is.

Freakin' comcast........................... maybe TRAIN your techs to understand the technology and actually GIVE them the equipment needed for the job.

They actually told me they don't have M-Cards.. HOWEVER..their freakin HD converter box uses ONLY M-Cards... Riiiiiight.
illthreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #4961
sparkyr

Howard County MD "Invalid Error"

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
I wonder if you could take your TiVo to the cable office and have them do whatever they need to do with the CC's at their office. That way, no truck roll and inconvenience of waiting on therm.
Great minds think alike...I mentioned this to the lead tech but he didn't seem to get it.

They'd have much more control over what happens and maybe, just maybe, the person with hands on the Tivo reading the auth info from the box would be able to directly enter the auth info into the comcast system instead of going through an intermediary. I'd even be willing to leave my many hundreds of $$ worth of hardware in their hands for a couple of days to get it done. (cost of hardware + cost of lifetime subscription). But I'd much rather watch it being done.

They must already have some kind of "cable card install techs" with a lab bench somewhere to do their own HD DVR's, right? My guess is that Comcast doesn't want to be responsible for my equipment. Otherwise, I can't think of a good reason they wouldn't want to handle it this way. This would have to be far cheaper than rolling a truck...3 times now for me.
sparkyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #4962
sparkyr

Quote:
I saw some mention of conditional access screens... I dont have an option that is called Conditional Access.

I have:
RESERVED
RESERVED
SA CableCARD CP Screen
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
RESERVED

Not to speak for Gregor, but I suspect the idea was to look at the "CP Screen" and look for the line beginning with "Auth Status:". If the card has received appropriate auth message(s), the end of the line will be "CP Auth Received" (at least in Ho Co, MD). If card hasn't received authorization message(s), end of line will be "Waiting for CP Auth".
Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #4963
jrm01

Quote:

I have:
RESERVED
RESERVED
SA CableCARD CP Screen
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
RESERVED

Conditional Access Screen is a term for he Motorola cards. If you have SA cards you'll want to look at the CP Information screen.

Look at the last picture here:

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/TiV...s_Content.html
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #4964
jlb
NCC-1701-D

What happens if you rerun guided setup?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #4965
sparkyr

Smile Howard County MD "Invalid Error"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyr View Post
Time to call them back and ask for someone knowledgeable about setting up an account for Tivo Series 3's with two cable cards on the same outlet. Sounds far-fetched but I'm getting close to punting on digital cable and reverting back to OTA HD broadcasts and lame analog cable. HD basic cable is beautiful but a hobbled Tivo with just one fully functional tuner is less useful to me than lame analog cable and a fully functional Tivo. There's no guarantee that the one good tuner/cablecard will be used for premium channel recordings.
Possibly my last update.

Another Comcast technician visited this morning. His approach was just to try another card in slot2. New card inserted, was recognized, and then a first for me, got the "updating firmware" message and he was tempted to pull it out and try a different card. I convinced him to be patient and wait it out and it did take 20 minutes for the update, but it did complete successfully.

Now, on to authorizing the card. He calls in the info. head-end tech tries one time and then I hear her say "Looks like a bad card...", but she goes away to talk to another head-end person. A few seconds later she says she hit the card. Sure enough, cablecard 2 now says auth received. This is a first. She had to re-auth the card so we could see the premium channels, but they actually seemed to know what they were doing this time.

The key seems to be patience all around and getting lucky with the right head-end person. Despite each tech having bad karma about Tivo boxes, they were at least willing to be patient. My only regret is not trying harder to get the first or second tech to talk the head-end people into trying a few more times or asking for help from other head-end techs. Today's technician didn't do anything different than the first two techs who touched my Tivo, it had to have been something different by the head-end techs.

Anyway, I'm now satisfied with my service but still resent having had to spend so much time with the technicians and on the phone. My next challenge will be when the bill comes and ensuring that they're billing me correctly.

These forums are a real treasure.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #4966
netcord01

Angry No more cablecards in Richmond

First time poster, long time reader (especially as it relates to CC's)...

I'll try to keep this short...I live in Richmond VA and got TiVo HD last week. Well, leading up to that purchase I was in many conversations with different folks from Comcast trying to get a straight answer on the CCs. (I even got Corporate involved but they weren’t able to do much…”beyond their control”). Basically, Comcast here is saying they no longer have CC's because the rest were defective and returned to Motorola. They are working with Motor to "resolve the situation" but have no ETA. I'm not the only person from Richmond who is reporting this situation on the TC, so it's definitely a true story. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there across this great land of ours has encountered this story with Comcast yet (if not, then buyer beware!)?? This is definitely an FCC violation to not have CC's available to those customers who want them, but no one wants to hear/handle my complaint against Comcast, so I just have to suck it up and deal with their nonsense. If only Verizon had a better CC situation, I would switch in a heartbeat, but that doesn't sound like the case, since they don't like making them available and they don't have M-series yet. I'd love your thoughts, observations, or just your feelings of sympathy. I just have a feeling that this isn't a priority of theirs and I along with other in Richmond may have to wait a long time for new cards (The good news is that the antenna signal looks beautiful on the TiVo!)
netcord01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #4967
ninjadvr

No cards till mid-Feb in Arlington VA

Quote:
Success in Arlington!

I just got off the phone with a CSR who called the warehouse and said there were no CableCards expected now until mid-February. I said what about the 2nd or the 6th like I had been told previously and he had no answer. hoyatables, you were fortunate to get one! Gotta keep trying...
ninjadvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #4968
Jon65

Carroll County MD missing channels (non) update and advice request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon65 View Post
Well the comcast guy has come and gone. Mostly it was really good. He
was really late, but called several times during the 7-9 window. He was
hung up at the job he was on. Guy was polite, spoke English, and wanted
to make things work. When he got here, he listened, didn't hate tivo,
and knew all about cablecards. He knew just what needed to be done and
got them authorized and added back to my account. Most all the HD
channels were coming in.

Now the not so good part. Two channels, National Geographic and Mojo,
refused to play. No idea why. At that point he jumped in and replaced
my outside splitter and connectors, also verifying strong signal along
the way. Good plan but no luck. He then has the head end initialize
the cards again. Still no luck. Now he's out of ideas and options. He
can't do anything else, but gives me his supervisor's number, along with
the name of the person who knows how to solve this problem. I'm happy.

Now the really not so good part. After he leaves, I'm flipping channels
and discover that I can't get channels 100-199. I didn't even check, so
I don't fault the guy. It is clearly an account issue. I'm hopeful
that the people I talk to Monday can fix me up from their end without me
being home.

Jon
Well, it is now Tuesday and I've left three voice messages with the tech's supervisor, per the "We want you to be happy" letter the tech left with me, which had the supervisor's name and number. I've received no call back, much less any help. At this point, what is the best thing for me to do?

1) Keep calling and hope I eventually get a call back? If this is the case, do I increasingly mention my frustration, increase the number of times per day, etc.? The way I figure it is that this guy can hit delete pretty easily, so I have no leverage.

2) Engage with a CSR. I would hope I could at least get channels 100-199 added back in correctly, but I have fear, because the CSRs are what ended up in me having the truck roll after they accidentally de-authorized both of my cards.

3) Request a truck roll, specifically asking for the tech I had previously, who was both knowledgeable and helpful.

So, I'm looking for any advice and suggestions as to my next step.

Thanks again for all the help and information this thread supplies!

Jon
Jon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #4969
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon65 View Post
Well, it is now Tuesday and I've left three voice messages with the tech's supervisor, per the "We want you to be happy" letter the tech left with me, which had the supervisor's name and number. I've received no call back, much less any help. At this point, what is the best thing for me to do?
Contact Comcast Executive Care: 215-665-1700 Let them know that you've followed the process given to you by the local office (tech had you call supervisor), but that process has failed.
wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #4970
dumaresq

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyr View Post
New card inserted, was recognized, and then a first for me, got the "updating firmware" message and he was tempted to pull it out and try a different card. I convinced him to be patient and wait it out and it did take 20 minutes for the update, but it did complete successfully.
I think that was key, if only the guy I had would have left the cards in my tivo's I'd have more working cards
dumaresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #4971
Jon65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzy View Post
Contact Comcast Executive Care: 215-665-1700 Let them know that you've followed the process given to you by the local office (tech had you call supervisor), but that process has failed.
Thanks for the advice and the number. I'll give it a call tomorrow.

Jon
Jon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #4972
djthib

I'm in the southern New Hampshire tier and thought I should relay a positive CableCard install experience last week.

As a happy DirecTV Tivo lover I hestitated for a long time before switching to Comcast. But when DirecTV could not site an HD dish at my house, I was left with no choice for HD reception but to try Comcast.

Comcast first came out and installed one of their own HD DVRs in early January. Yikes! -- there was no way I was going to live with that crappy interface after being a Tivo subscriber for 4 years. So the next day I bought and installed a Series 3 HD Tivo. That was about 10 days ago. Called Comcast the next day and they said unfortunately that CableCards were on back order but expected in about a week. Ran Guided Setup on the Tivo and at least could see all basic free cable channels fine in the mean time.

Tech (an older gentleman) showed up exactly on time on the appointment day a week later. How happy I was to see him pull a couple of M-cards out of his tool box! The first hint that things might go well was when he understood that only one M-card would be needed for dual tuner operation. He installed the card in Slot 1 and the CableCard configuration screen came up. Here is where a bit of patience is apparently required. He fumbled around a bit, called the head end and read serial numbers back and forth a few times, and finally got to a place where the CableCard began downloading an update to itself. He said he'd be back in about 15 minutes and went out to his truck (for a smoke or a beer or something) -- came back in, fiddled again on the CableCard menu, a couple more calls to the head end. About 15 minutes after that -- magic! HD channels on both tuners were there.

After the tech left I ran Guided Setup and all is well with the world.

So maybe with enough experience these techs will eventually learn what they need to do.
djthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #4973
ninjadvr

Twp M-cards right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djthib View Post
The first hint that things might go well was when he understood that only one M-card would be needed for dual tuner operation. He installed the card in Slot 1 and the CableCard configuration screen came up. Here is where a bit of patience is apparently required. He fumbled around a bit, called the head end and read serial numbers back and forth a few times, and finally got to a place where the CableCard began downloading an update to itself. He said he'd be back in about 15 minutes and went out to his truck (for a smoke or a beer or something) -- came back in, fiddled again on the CableCard menu, a couple more calls to the head end. About 15 minutes after that -- magic! HD channels on both tuners were there.
Thanks, sounds good, but didn't you say you have a Series3? It's only the cheaper TivoHD that can use ONE M-card in multi-stream mode. With a Series3, you need two cards irrespective of whether they are S-type or M-type because even if they are M-type (multistream) they work in singlstream mode in a Series3 slot. Are you sure BOTH tuners are working? Check digital premium channels on each tuner. If you have one M-type card in slot 1 and nothing in slot 2, in theory you should find only one tuner working.

At any rate, congratulations on getting any cablecards. some of use are being told there's no stock of cards for weeks.

Last edited by ninjadvr : 01-30-2008 at 07:54 AM.
ninjadvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #4974
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Man, it is possible for Comcast to screw up....in your favor

So some closure on my install.

Quick reminder:

my CC install was on the weekend of the 1/11. They were late. Long day. Long winded, but got a M card working in my TiVoHD. They had said they would credit me $20 for my troubles. I knew that I would need to wait for my first bill afterwards to sort of feel good about the billing.

Well, it looks like they also gave me a second credit of $20 for "Basic Video - Adjustment". Not sure what that is, but I am not complaining. And you can see the charge for the truck roll of $17.95.

Now, I know the first card is free (as they stated), but I thought there would be some mention of it in the bill. I am not complaining. But it looks like I avoided the screw-up of them trying to charge for an A/O or other things beyond the actual "first card free" stuff.

Assuming nothing changes on their end, this bill is in a credit, as will next month's and part of the one after that.

So, at least in my case, it looks like Comcast got the billing end right, or at least in a state I am happy with.

Last edited by jlb : 01-30-2008 at 11:32 AM.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #4975
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
So, at least in my case, it looks like Comcast got the billing end right, or at least in a state I am happy with.
What HD channels do you receive?
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #4976
jlb
NCC-1701-D

The following QAM HD channels

PBS
CBS
ABC
NBC
NBC Weather (not HD but I believe clear digitial)
FOX
UPN/38
CW/56

And a few other PBS digitial channels
Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #4977
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
The following QAM HD channels

PBS
CBS
ABC
NBC
NBC Weather (not HD but I believe clear digitial)
FOX
UPN/38
CW/56

And a few other PBS digitial channels
Not bad. And you get the guide data and everything? Now I'm feeling real ripped off after looking at my Comcast bill. Especially starting Feb 1.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #4978
jlb
NCC-1701-D

By law, on a non-digital package, the cable companies are required to feed the clear QAM local HD channels for free along the cable wire.

I could get those on my new LCD without the TiVoHD.

With the TiVoHD but without cable cards, you can do trick play and manual record.

The Cable Cards are necessary to associate guide data with the channels.

And yes, the companies are not too quick to tell you this. Anyone that thinks like Bruce Springsteen (57 channels and nothing on) could save a lot of money by downgrading to a lifeline or non-digital package like the one I have. We find plenty to watch on the networks so it works great for us. But I did have to rent DVDs for other shows we liked (Sopranos, SatC, etc).

But having a good deal of HD Glory for free (actually, I have now made $22.05), is awesome in my book!!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #4979
hybucket

so...you're saying that, theoretically, you can split the cable wire coming in, with one cable going into the DVR and the other DIRECTLY into the HDTV, and pick up the local HD channels on the TV without a converter? Will they be mapped to the correct channel designation, or come in on the Comcast channel #?
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #4980
illthreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by illthreat View Post
Well.. The tech came out to install my CableCard(s) today.

He enters the room, asks what the job is, and I mention the Tivo HD , CableCards, etc.. - No clue. Doesn't even have the work order showing the request for the CableCards.

2 more techs show up to help him finish the job. None of them having a clue where the CC were at.. The excuse was the tech that came to the house was given the job by another tech earlier in the day.. I tell them perhaps the other tech has the CC... their reply- "Don't know".

I ask the 3 techs standing in my living room what they expect me to do from here... Response: "Don't Know".

So, I call 800-comcast with all 3 of them still in the room. Get a CSR on the phone, explain the situation- and he gets one of the techs standing in my living room on the line. Blah blah blah.. CSR tells the tech to re-schedule it internally so it won't take another 10 days to do through the national CSR line...

I am to call the supervisor tomorrow to re-schedule the CC install. . That is of course if they even have them to begin with.. Or even understands what it is.

Freakin' comcast........................... maybe TRAIN your techs to understand the technology and actually GIVE them the equipment needed for the job.

They actually told me they don't have M-Cards.. HOWEVER..their freakin HD converter box uses ONLY M-Cards... Riiiiiight.

I spoke to the Supervisor on Tuesday morning. He assured me he was on top of the situation and was going to get me a cableCard from the "warehouse". Stated that later in the same day he would "try" and have a tech out. No call back- no tech visit.

I try again this morning to reach the Supervisor- no answer so I call the 800 # and talk to a CSR about the situation.

I finally get a hold of the Supervisor later this afternoon and he told me he's in the process of getting me CC's and they will try and come out today, no later than tomorrow (Thursday) for the install.

The kicker- He's not able to get me an M-card.. But, he's going to bring me "two-way S cards"... Does two-way CC even exist yet?! I asked him if he meant normal Singlestream cards and he replied "No, these are new and different."

illthreat is offline   Reply With Quote