TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #4921
metalm

Smile Relatively Issue-free Install in ATL

Hello all. Like the previous poster, I've been lurking a bit around here. Bought my first Tivo this week and was very excited about getting it up and going. I was converting from a Comcast DVR that I've been using for a couple of years. However, with all of the horror stories in this thread about issues with installing the Cablecards, I had quite a bit of trepidation going in to this.

I ordered the TiVo on Tuesday and called Comcast the same day to schedule an appointment, figuring it would take them a few days to come out. Fortunately, they were able to schedule an appointment for as soon as Thursday, if I wanted. However, I asked them for Friday so I could get away with "working from home" to wait on them to show. The lady with Comcast that I spoke to was pleasant enough, though clearly not completely knowledgable about Cablecards. She couldn't tell me if it was multi-stream or single-stream cards, so I asked her to make sure to note that I was requesting two cards, just in case. Installation charge was going to be $17.95, and the first card is free, while the second card would be $1.50/mo.

TiVo arrived on Wednesday, so I went ahead and set it up and activated service. After a few hours, software was updated and I was watching analog cable on it with no problem.

Friday arrives. My appointment was for between 8am and 11am. 11am comes and they hadn't shown. Comcast actually called me at 11:03am to let me know the tech was on his way. That suprised the heck out of me. About 10 minutes later, the tech called me and said he couldn't find my apartment complex. Uh oh. This guy isn't sounding like he's operating on all cylinders.

Tech arrived around 11:30 and he started to work right away. He popped the card in and called in to get it activated. This is where things started going a little sour. He was visibly concerned about whoever he was talking to on the other end. Sounded to me like the provisioning system wasn't up, which seems to be a somewhat common issue here. So we waited. The TiVo kept saying "Aquiring Channel Information". After about 45 minutes, during which he kept calling back in, he was pretty irritated, not really at the TiVo, but with trying to get the card activated.

Turns out, it wasn't the provisioning system at all. He ended up walking the person through the activation process. Sounded to me like they had miskeyed something. 10 minutes later, everything came up. Woo Hoo!

We checked out all of the premium channels I have (HBO, MAX, and SHO), as well as the HD channels. All was working beautifully.

As it turns out, the tech was very intelligent and knew exactly what he was doing. Unfortunately, in the course of my excitement, I neglected to get his name or clock number. However, all things considered, despite the tech getting there late, I'm very happy with how the installation went and that we didn't run in to the major issues everyone on here seems to have had. As it ended up, the card was an m-card. However, the tech specifically stated that it was a really good idea that I requested them to bring two cards anyway, so I would recommend that to anyone in the future.

So here it is around 20 hours after activation, and the card is still working wonderfully. Both HD and SD channels are coming in great, and for the most part, I am loving all of the features of the TiVo.
metalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #4922
Gregor

Glad to hear it worked for you!

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #4923
mostman

Tech just left my house - he was here for a grand total of 15 minutes.

Only problem I have now is that I was using another cable card in single tuner mode and have now switched to this new multi-stream card - the tivo only seems to recognize one tuner right now.

I am rerunning guided setup and then I am going to perform a reboot. See if that gets me going with dual tuners.

Edit: No reboot needed. Ran guided setup - 2 tuners active. Nice.

-Mike

Last edited by mostman : 01-26-2008 at 09:38 AM.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #4924
n1teowl

Easy Self-Install in Lynnwood, WA

I had heard from a friend that he picked up his cablecards at the local Comcast store and was able to install them himself. I thought I'd give it a shot. I went to the local Lynnwood branch and brought my old HD receiver box and remote with me. I told the rep that I'd like to trade in my reciever for cablecards, an M-card if possible. She told me that all they had were M-cards and that it would be no problem. 5 minutes later I walked out with my M-card. When I got home, I ran through guided setup on my Tivo HD and got to the screen that had me call Comcast. The rep answered the phone in 30 seconds and asked what I needed. I told him that I needed to get my cablecard initialized. He asked if this was for a TV or a Tivo. I told him Tivo and he told me how to navigate to the screen I needed and asked for the required numbers. He then said to give it a few minutes and everything should be ready to go. 5 minutes later I was up and running. I got the service update and have had no problems since. That's how it should work!
n1teowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #4925
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1teowl View Post
I had heard from a friend that he picked up his cablecards at the local Comcast store and was able to install them himself. I thought I'd give it a shot. I went to the local Lynnwood branch and brought my old HD receiver box and remote with me. I told the rep that I'd like to trade in my reciever for cablecards, an M-card if possible. She told me that all they had were M-cards and that it would be no problem. 5 minutes later I walked out with my M-card. When I got home, I ran through guided setup on my Tivo HD and got to the screen that had me call Comcast. The rep answered the phone in 30 seconds and asked what I needed. I told him that I needed to get my cablecard initialized. He asked if this was for a TV or a Tivo. I told him Tivo and he told me how to navigate to the screen I needed and asked for the required numbers. He then said to give it a few minutes and everything should be ready to go. 5 minutes later I was up and running. I got the service update and have had no problems since. That's how it should work!
Come on! That was some sort of a dream you had last night, right? J/K
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #4926
cheesehead00

ok my setup with comcast and cable cards went fine im just upset about the prices i am being charged and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get my rates cheaper.

before i switched to tivohd i had a dvr through comcast and my bill was like $83 a month. now that i switched to tivo with cable cards my bill is $95 without any box rental from them.

i pay .....
$2.95 serv protection
$14.95 cable card
$1.50 Digital service
$33.00 for Digiatl Cable

i have 2 S cards and live in Charleston SC.

Does this seem right to anyone else? am i getting ripped off? any help is greatly appreciated!
cheesehead00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #4927
bizzy

you're paying $14.95 for a cablecard!?
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #4928
cheesehead00

yes they said my first one was free and the second is $14.95. i have read through this thread a lot and find this ridiculous! when i called comcast customer service and they werent very helpful.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #4929
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
Tech just left my house - he was here for a grand total of 15 minutes.

Only problem I have now is that I was using another cable card in single tuner mode and have now switched to this new multi-stream card - the tivo only seems to recognize one tuner right now.

I am rerunning guided setup and then I am going to perform a reboot. See if that gets me going with dual tuners.

Edit: No reboot needed. Ran guided setup - 2 tuners active. Nice.

-Mike
Glad to hear it. What part of Boston are you in? I'm getting mine in a couple of weeks.
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #4930
cheesehead00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
you're paying $14.95 for a cablecard!?
yup just got off an hour long phone call with comcast customer service and they kept telling me different things about the charges. basically they are saying the bill is correct. they claim the $14.95 charge for the cable card is actually for the digital service so that i get channels 100 and up and that digital starter of $33 is for channels 1-99. they couldnt explain why the descriptions were messed up on my bills.

does this make sense to any of you guys and do you think they are over charging me?
Old 01-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #4931
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead00 View Post
yup just got off an hour long phone call with comcast customer service and they kept telling me different things about the charges. basically they are saying the bill is correct. they claim the $14.95 charge for the cable card is actually for the digital service so that i get channels 100 and up and that digital starter of $33 is for channels 1-99. they couldnt explain why the descriptions were messed up on my bills.

does this make sense to any of you guys and do you think they are over charging me?
The simple thing to do is compare it to the published price list for your local cable operation. That might be better to ask for if you haven't got it handy. It's usually included with your bill when a new one is issued, or sometimes mailed separately. But it should also be available on request.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #4932
jrm01

Quote:

This is from comcast.com web page concerning tivo. It says that the charge for the second card will be nominal. In my area that is $1.50. In most areas it is less than $2.00.

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=4156
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #4933
cheesehead00

well i tried a different approach and used the online chat through comcast.com and was able to get help from them. simply told them that i was being charged $14.95 for my cable card and that it was wrong. he suggested i call comcast customer support for further help because he could only credit my account $25 and remove any future charges for the second cable card. i decided to go with that since phone customer service wasnt going anywhere and only been charged that amount for 3 months.

hopefully this doesnt mess up anything else with the cards and receiving hd channels.

thanks for the suggestions/help!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #4934
jrm01

Quote:
well i tried a different approach and used the online chat through comcast.com and was able to get help from them. simply told them that i was being charged $14.95 for my cable card and that it was wrong. he suggested i call comcast customer support for further help because he could only credit my account $25 and remove any future charges for the second cable card. i decided to go with that since phone customer service wasnt going anywhere and only been charged that amount for 3 months.

hopefully this doesnt mess up anything else with the cards and receiving hd channels.

thanks for the suggestions/help!
Hopefully it all works out well for you. However, I have heard of many cases when a helpful CSR did this the customer lost Authorzation in the second card. The Comcast system can Authorize a $1 cablecard, but not a second free card. Hopefully this isn't your case.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #4935
Jon65

Update in Carroll County, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon65 View Post
Here's my sad story. Add it to the pile. I'm looking for suggestions as to what my next move should be.

I've had my tivo-hd and comcast with two s-cards working since October. However, when I tried to get the billing adjusted for the second outlet fee, it ended with the CSR removing the second outlet, and my second cablecard along with it. So, adding back the outlet restored the card. All was well.

Then, Comcast added new HD channels: FoodHD and TBSHD. Now, cable card 1 receives them all, but cable card 2 does not receive the new channels. That was a couple months ago, and I've been living with it mainly because I didn't have time to deal with the situation.

Comcast recently added SciFi HD and a couple others. So, I called today to try to get this resolved. First CSR was clueless, but tried. Problem was she deauthorized both my cablecards!!!! Now I have basic channels but nothing else. Then I get disconnected. Call back yields a more clueless, but more helpful CSR that eventually takes my card and host ID numbers to pass along. She was supposed to call me back, but did not. Third time I lose the CSR roulette and get the angry woman who doesn't even want to talk to me, hates cable cards, and want to send the technician out, on my tab. I decline and she spits out that she is noting I declined on my account. OK.

So, here I am. At this point I'm thinking the only way I can get the card info to the folks that need it is to relent and let the tech come out and read the numbers.

What's my best move at this point?

I'm located in Carroll County, MD

Thanks for helping, and for listening. :-)

Jon
Well the comcast guy has come and gone. Mostly it was really good. He
was really late, but called several times during the 7-9 window. He was
hung up at the job he was on. Guy was polite, spoke English, and wanted
to make things work. When he got here, he listened, didn't hate tivo,
and knew all about cablecards. He knew just what needed to be done and
got them authorized and added back to my account. Most all the HD
channels were coming in.

Now the not so good part. Two channels, National Geographic and Mojo,
refused to play. No idea why. At that point he jumped in and replaced
my outside splitter and connectors, also verifying strong signal along
the way. Good plan but no luck. He then has the head end initialize
the cards again. Still no luck. Now he's out of ideas and options. He
can't do anything else, but gives me his supervisor's number, along with
the name of the person who knows how to solve this problem. I'm happy.

Now the really not so good part. After he leaves, I'm flipping channels
and discover that I can't get channels 100-199. I didn't even check, so
I don't fault the guy. It is clearly an account issue. I'm hopeful
that the people I talk to Monday can fix me up from their end without me
being home.

Jon
Jon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #4936
sparkyr

Howard County MD "Invalid Error"

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Skipping the gory details of multiple truck rolls and numerous failed cards, my series 3 currently has one working SA S-card in slot 1 (can view all channels, including premium) and a half-working SA S-card in slot 2 (can view non-premium channels, but diagnostic screen says "Waiting for CP Auth"). Comcast lead technician got me to this point and didn't have any more fresh cards with him. The head-end people authorizing the cards for him said they kept getting an "Invalid error" when trying to authorize the card in slot 2 and none of them knew what that meant. lead tech said all he could do is refer it to a more senior head-end tech who will call me. This all happened Friday and I'm not expecting any call until Monday.

Called Tivo and they suggested trying "half-working" card currently in slot 2 in slot 1. If it works in slot 1, then try current slot1-card in slot2 and see if it works. Reasonable debug approach and I'm kicking myself for not having the lead tech do that when he was here. It's possible that tivo box has a hardware problem with slot2 (hard to believe since the tivo recognizes the card and it can tune non-premium digital channels, but they're the experts, right?).

FWIW - the "half-working" card has obviously been very used, if not abused. The printing on the label is very worn and the case has multiple big dents. Not very reassuring to me, plus one of the anti-static baggies that the lead tech left behind has "Defective Card" handwritten on it but it could have been from one of the 5 other cards that they tried. I'd love to know the failure rate of these cards (including the DOA rates) and whether Comcast somehow writes off the cost of failed cards or gets SA to take them back.

So, that's the short version of how I got here, but my post is really about Comcast reporting an "Invalid error" that they don't understand. Tivo guy said he has some records of "Invalid error" messages with some other cable providers but didn't know the resolution. Has anybody with Comcast, or better yet, Comcast in Howard County MD heard about this before? I'd appreciate any info that somebody might have so I can help guide the Comcast technicians.

thanks
sparkyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #4937
KraziJoe
What? Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon65 View Post
Well the comcast guy has come and gone. Mostly it was really good. He
was really late, but called several times during the 7-9 window. He was
hung up at the job he was on. Guy was polite, spoke English, and wanted
to make things work. When he got here, he listened, didn't hate tivo,
and knew all about cablecards. He knew just what needed to be done and
got them authorized and added back to my account. Most all the HD
channels were coming in.

Now the not so good part. Two channels, National Geographic and Mojo,
refused to play. No idea why. At that point he jumped in and replaced
my outside splitter and connectors, also verifying strong signal along
the way. Good plan but no luck. He then has the head end initialize
the cards again. Still no luck. Now he's out of ideas and options. He
can't do anything else, but gives me his supervisor's number, along with
the name of the person who knows how to solve this problem. I'm happy.

Now the really not so good part. After he leaves, I'm flipping channels
and discover that I can't get channels 100-199. I didn't even check, so
I don't fault the guy. It is clearly an account issue. I'm hopeful
that the people I talk to Monday can fix me up from their end without me
being home.

Jon
Try restarting the TIVO and see if they show up.
KraziJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #4938
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyr View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster...

Skipping the gory details of multiple truck rolls and numerous failed cards, my series 3 currently has one working SA S-card in slot 1 (can view all channels, including premium) and a half-working SA S-card in slot 2 (can view non-premium channels, but diagnostic screen says "Waiting for CP Auth"). Comcast lead technician got me to this point and didn't have any more fresh cards with him. The head-end people authorizing the cards for him said they kept getting an "Invalid error" when trying to authorize the card in slot 2 and none of them knew what that meant. lead tech said all he could do is refer it to a more senior head-end tech who will call me. This all happened Friday and I'm not expecting any call until Monday.

Called Tivo and they suggested trying "half-working" card currently in slot 2 in slot 1. If it works in slot 1, then try current slot1-card in slot2 and see if it works. Reasonable debug approach and I'm kicking myself for not having the lead tech do that when he was here. It's possible that tivo box has a hardware problem with slot2 (hard to believe since the tivo recognizes the card and it can tune non-premium digital channels, but they're the experts, right?).

FWIW - the "half-working" card has obviously been very used, if not abused. The printing on the label is very worn and the case has multiple big dents. Not very reassuring to me, plus one of the anti-static baggies that the lead tech left behind has "Defective Card" handwritten on it but it could have been from one of the 5 other cards that they tried. I'd love to know the failure rate of these cards (including the DOA rates) and whether Comcast somehow writes off the cost of failed cards or gets SA to take them back.

So, that's the short version of how I got here, but my post is really about Comcast reporting an "Invalid error" that they don't understand. Tivo guy said he has some records of "Invalid error" messages with some other cable providers but didn't know the resolution. Has anybody with Comcast, or better yet, Comcast in Howard County MD heard about this before? I'd appreciate any info that somebody might have so I can help guide the Comcast technicians.

thanks
Have the tech check the signal level. It sounds like the signal is marginal, and when it's split internally in the Tivo, it's not high enough for the card to work. Cable cards are apparently very fussy about signal levels.

Also, copy the numbers down from the cable card screens and make sure that the tech is reading the numbers down correctly to the back-end tech.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #4939
Jon65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraziJoe View Post
Try restarting the TIVO and see if they show up.
Did a reboot and also a guided setup right away. No Joy.

No improvement overnight. I'm still hopeful for tomorrow.

Jon
Jon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #4940
rvsj

Quote:
The head-end people authorizing the cards for him said they kept getting an "Invalid error" when trying to authorize the card in slot 2 and none of them knew what that meant.
TiVos do not talk back to the head end so if they get an error when trying to authorize it means that the data has been entered incorrectly. Either fat-fingered by the person entering it or read back incorrectly by the field person.
It could also be a bad card generating bad data but I'm of the opinion that most of the "bad" cards are good cards that had their data read back incorrectly.
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #4941
dumaresq

My bad exp with cablecards

I live in Monmouth county NJ. On Friday the 11th of Jan. the Comcast cable installer arrived (I'd had D* for the last year or so). I had two brand new TivoHDs setup and ready for him. He was at my house for a total of 6 hours, most of that time he spent running new cables. Once he finished running cables he started trying to get the cablecards working. He brought 5 single stream cards (I needed 4). He tried all 5 of them 1 wouldn't registered, three needed "upgrading" and 1 worked. He left with the other three saying "upgrading" but before he left he popped them all out so from what I have read that means they are now broken. He managed to come back the next day with 4 more cards all of them did the upgrading thing as well so he left again.

I called them on Monday the 14th to get them to come back with more cards. They were supposed to come that Wednesday but they canceled the appointment saying they had no cards. They canceled another appointment on 25th (still no cards). I have another appointment on the 1st I hope they have cards!

He left me the three "upgrading" cards which I have left in for 24 hours just to see if they would eventually upgrade, but they haven't. I have no hope they will come this Friday with cards anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks
dumaresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #4942
sparkyr

Howard County MD "Invalid Error"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsj View Post
TiVos do not talk back to the head end so if they get an error when trying to authorize it means that the data has been entered incorrectly. Either fat-fingered by the person entering it or read back incorrectly by the field person.
It could also be a bad card generating bad data but I'm of the opinion that most of the "bad" cards are good cards that had their data read back incorrectly.
Good point about the one-way communication. Since I posted, I spent 45 minutes on the line with Comcast. I read all hostid and cablecard info from my screen to them. They re-authorized good card in slot 1 and attempted again with the 2nd card in slot 2 with same results ("Invalid error" that they don't understand.) If they fat-fingered, it would be the 3rd time it's happened with different sets of people doing the work. Their response of course is to claim it's another bad card. Scheduled tech for Tuesday AM. Same old story...

But then, the CSR started talking about removing the $4.05 2nd outlet fee for the last week since I've been having problems. "Huh?" I said! There's a $1.50 fee for the 2nd card but no "2nd outlet fee". She then said it's the only way they could enter both cards; make them two separate outlets. But then she started questioning whether that could cause problems with the authorization or whether it was the right way to do it. She was going to call me back...3 hours ago and counting.

So, her questioning of how the account is setup and the belief that the head-end guys shouldn't get any feedback that it's a bad card since it's a one-way communication, now make me wonder whether it's some screwy "feature" of Comcast's billing/authorization software and how my account was created.

I know the cards are one way WRT on-demand and PPV (kind of "higher-order" functions) in a Tivo, but are you sure Comcast doesn't even get status information back from these cards?

Time to call them back and ask for someone knowledgeable about setting up an account for Tivo Series 3's with two cable cards on the same outlet. Sounds far-fetched but I'm getting close to punting on digital cable and reverting back to OTA HD broadcasts and lame analog cable. HD basic cable is beautiful but a hobbled Tivo with just one fully functional tuner is less useful to me than lame analog cable and a fully functional Tivo. There's no guarantee that the one good tuner/cablecard will be used for premium channel recordings.

Also, regarding signal strength, the lead tech here on Friday measured it and said the signal strength is great.

thanks for listening and the input.
sparkyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #4943
QZ1

Quote:
ok my setup with comcast and cable cards went fine im just upset about the prices i am being charged and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get my rates cheaper.

before i switched to tivohd i had a dvr through comcast and my bill was like $83 a month. now that i switched to tivo with cable cards my bill is $95 without any box rental from them.

i pay .....
$2.95 serv protection
$14.95 cable card
$1.50 Digital service
$33.00 for Digiatl Cable

i have 2 S cards and live in Charleston SC.

Does this seem right to anyone else? am i getting ripped off? any help is greatly appreciated!
If that is what the bill showed, it is most likely a misprint where they reversed the second and third line items.

CC (second CC in same device) is $1.50.
Digital Preferred is $14.95.
Digital Starter (Standard w/ a Box) for $33, sounds like a promo.
QZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #4944
ninjadvr

Arlngton, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraziJoe View Post
You asked and I linked to my answer. If you JUST called then you have the latest information so there is nothing to update there.
I still have an appt for the 1st and until they cancel I will just think they will bring them, and if they don't then they will have to deal with a very irate customer. I might even ask the Old Manassas Lady to go to the local office for me.
Being told 6 Feb by the Comcast CSR does not constitute a full update since they change their tune each time giving different re-stock dates, etc. The update I was referring to was along the lines of what you just wrote, i.e. if they turn up with CableCards to your appointment, then obviously CableCards exist in Arlington, VA, which would prompt me to push them to give me an appointment instead of waiting another week or two. There was a reason I posted the question
ninjadvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #4945
rvsj

Quote:
I know the cards are one way WRT on-demand and PPV (kind of "higher-order" functions) in a Tivo, but are you sure Comcast doesn't even get status information back from these cards?
There is no hardware in a TiVo capable of transmitting anything back to the head end. That is why they are now developing a "dongle" that will connect to the USB port to transmit back so TiVos will work with SDV (Switched Digital Video).
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #4946
janry

I wonder if you could take your TiVo to the cable office and have them do whatever they need to do with the CC's at their office. That way, no truck roll and inconvenience of waiting on therm.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #4947
osterber

Another installation report:

Watertown, MA. I already have one Tivo S3 with two cablecards in it. Purchased a new Tivo HD. Scheduled a visit with Comcast, and asked them to note that I could use a M-stream card. It was a 2-week wait to get an appointment. Argh.

Appointment scheduled for 9-11am this morning. Comcast automated call came on Saturday to remind me. This morning at 9:20am, technician calls to say he's on his way. Arrives at 9:28am.

He's got an m-stream card, and appears to know his way around the Tivo. (Navigating menus he knows exactly what he's looking for, etc.) Pops in the card, and it is detected as m-stream.

About 9:35am or so, he makes his call to the back-office. First person appears to take the inventory information (i.e., m-stream cable card serial #xxxx assigned to my account). He then gets transferred to the advanced technical support people to do the pairing.

He sat on hold for 25 minutes, and never talked to anyone. He called back the other number, to confirm that the ATS people were open, was transferred in again, and sat on hold for 10 more minutes before giving up.

I had to get to work... he wanted to get to his next call. We agreed that he would continue to try to call them during the day, and I'd check tonight to see if things were working. I have his cell phone number to check-in.

The technician was great. Knew what he was doing. It's just the back-office people appear to be completely backlogged, and the technicians can't get through to them! It is unbelievable that there is not some online interface even for the technicians to punch in the pairing number data and skip the human being process.

-Rick
osterber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #4948
pjbrownva

Smile Update for Arlington, VA (cards supposedly in on 2/2)

[quote=ninjadvr;5919145]Being told 6 Feb by the Comcast CSR does not constitute a full update... QUOTE]

Arlington Update... I called last week and got a customer service rep who seemed VERY knowledgeable. She knew about M-Cards and S-cards and their differences!!! She called the warehouse and told me that they were out of cable cards. When I pressed her (politely) for advice, she did some more checking and told me that more cards are due to arrive on Feb 2nd.

I tried to make an appointment, and she said that I needed to call back to make an appt later (I'm not sure when she said). I asked her for her help and told her that I would really appreciate it if she would schedule an appt for Feb 3rd for me -- that way I will (hopefully) have someone show up and they will (hopefully) have cable cards that just arrived the day before.

So, we'll see what happens (and I'll update the list). I've decided not to get angry if it doesn't go well. Since so many people are having problems, clearly there are organizational and training issues going on nation-wide, so any problems that I might experience probably aren't due to anyone's personal ineptness, or intentional malice.

-Phil
pjbrownva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #4949
b0rg

S3 and M-Cards

Just trying to understand.. The S3 requires 2 cards (either S or M), right? It cannot use a single M-Card for dual tuning?

Anyone know if it would work for an S-Card and an M-Card?

Thanks
b0rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #4950
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rg View Post
Just trying to understand.. The S3 requires 2 cards (either S or M), right? It cannot use a single M-Card for dual tuning?

Anyone know if it would work for an S-Card and an M-Card?

Thanks
Yes and Yes, it will only use the M as a single stream.