TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #631
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
true, adding a second hd to a series 2 is a bit more complicated but tim's been around so he's up to it. right tim?
Yes, I know how to add drives, but I don't think we're at this point right now. My wife hasn't run out of space. The latest chapter of "As the TiVo Turns" (as mattack puts it ) is not that she's running out of space, but that she's starting to transfer more and more stuff onto my TiVo. Her motivation, I don't think, is to access my empty hard drive space, but rather it's to give her the flexibility to watch stuff upstairs or downstairs.

I suppose this is reasonable, as long as she doesn't dump excessively onto my TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #632
alyssa

Perhaps a 'time on my tivo' limit might be of use. for example- she can transfer something for a few days but you have permission to delete it after a couple of days.
I would suggest you need to define the "when I can delete a show off my tivo" point.

As to the womanspeak issue, you all might find this funny http://www.metacafe.com/watch/105902...of_two_brains/

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #633
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Perhaps a 'time on my tivo' limit might be of use. for example- she can transfer something for a few days but you have permission to delete it after a couple of days.
I would suggest you need to define the "when I can delete a show off my tivo" point.

As to the womanspeak issue, you all might find this funny http://www.metacafe.com/watch/105902...of_two_brains/
TiVo DVRs default time limit is 2 days - and the icons easily show when something is set as "able to delete" for space needed. They could go with those keep until settings and any special case that might come up - a movie she wants to watch together could be set at Keep Until 7 days for instance.

The danger in this is that it allows encroachmnet on his TiVo and might inlcine her to go encroach even further.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #634
retired_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveBlues View Post
It's just me and my wife at home and we have 4.
we've got five for the two of us and a sixth I've loaned to my daughter. I also keep recordings on my PCs.

My wife keeps not only programs she hasn't seen, but anything she's seen and she thinks she may want to see again (for some series, such as "First 48 Hours", that means every episode), along with anything she thinks my daughter would like to see when she comes over. Not that we actually watch much a second time.

I've been married almost 50 years and don't have a lot of faith in her changing her ways. Since the Pioneer is a DVD recorder she has generated trillions of bytes of recordings. I don't think I'll see large enough disks anytime soon. Sometimes you should have to take the good with the bad. Ulcer medicines can help.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime

Last edited by retired_guy : 01-27-2008 at 05:13 PM.
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #635
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
The danger in this is that it allows encroachment on his TiVo and might incline her to go encroach even further.
Tim, you've got to set the rules before it goes too far. Give the spouses an inch and they'll end up with a mile.
See retired guys post for the ultimate in end games-

Initially I owned all the tivos in our house, they were therefor mine. Then the S3 came along, due to the cost I let my husband pay half. For the next three months we had heated discussions about me occasionally using both tuners, half of the tivo being his & all that hooie.

He couldn't plop in front of the TV & flip channels when I had programed both of the tuners. so I set up a TV input for straight cable but he couldn't be bothered with that, "to complicated" was the response. Mind you he's no slouch in the smarts department, web designer, musician & climbing guide etc.

We finally reached an agreement of me programing in the sports shows & him learning how to really operate the tivo/TV and be bloody well respectful of my programing.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #636
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
TiVo DVRs default time limit is 2 days - and the icons easily show when something is set as "able to delete" for space needed. They could go with those keep until settings and any special case that might come up - a movie she wants to watch together could be set at Keep Until 7 days for instance.

The danger in this is that it allows encroachmnet on his TiVo and might inlcine her to go encroach even further.
It's not like the Mrs. has a history of abusing the KUID .......

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #637
classicX
Don't scream.

Does TiVo have an option to password protect "keep until I delete" recordings? In other words, you need to put in a password in order to delete any recorder that says "keep until I delete"?

Then, if you were to do this to all of your SPs, you would basically be prioritizing your shows as far as the TiVo is concerned, and if space is an issue, it would automatically delete her transfers first.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #638
timckelley
TCFer

Fortunately, her list of transfers has shrunk to half a screen over the weekend. Partly this is because I had more work than usual to do at nightime, and during this time she watched and deleted some of her transferred stuff. I assume she's also deleting it off her own TiVo, now that she's watched the shows.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #639
pilotbob

Quote:
Then the S3 came along, due to the cost I let my husband pay half.
I never understood this mentality. Since I've been married it (all income) has been "our" money... and all purchases were "our" things.

I have heard the "our money" (what he earns) and "her money" (what she earns) and say it jokeingly at times. But, my wife and I consider ourselfs as a true partnership so I couldn't pay for "half" of something.

Sorry to be off topic... or is it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #640
jmpivo
Felxer

Cool Flip the script...

Like many on this thread, we faced the same issue once the wifey got all tech-geekie and learned to Tivo. I remembered the old quip about a dude wanting to be correct or happy. I chose the latter but told my beloved that I wanted a new TIVO for Xmas. She was eager to please (or to get her own Tivo) and I have a spanking new S2DT now also on the home LAN. She keeps all her Season pass stuff on the family room Tivo (S2) and I have all my season pass stuff on the S2DT in my office. I happily sit next to her while she watches Desperately (Insane) Housewives, HGTV, Design this & that, Fashion whatever, etc while I'm warping to some SciFi world wirelessly using the Tivo Desktop on my laptop and earbuds. I just know at some point, she'll tap me on the shoulder and say she's run out of space but I already have my response in hand... and it will be a dubious 'well that sux, how about an upgrade for your birthday'!
-jeff.
p.s. Thanks for all the laughs in this thread too.
jmpivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #641
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sorry to be off topic... or is it?
I also consider our money to be jointly owned, but you can understand how a TiVo might not be. For example, her purse is hers, and not 'ours', because only she uses it.

This being said, I confess that sometimes, I get the impression that she considers some money to be 'hers' and not 'ours', but I don't agree with that concept.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 07-23-2008, 01:57 AM   #642
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Tim--

You missed your semi-annual bump. How are things on your TiVoHD?

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:33 AM   #643
guppies

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
I've got an 80 hour series two TiVo. We've several season passes, with the option: "Keep until I delete". I've watched everything I want, and am ready to delete, but my wife is severely behind on watching the programs. The TiVo is almost full now, and often when I try to schedule a new program it says it can't schedule because it's out of memory.

(Actually, it's projecting that by the time the show airs, it'll be out of memory because of the "To Do" list, but as the season's really over now, the only stuff in my To Do list are 3 season passes my wife has set up for our 3 year old son -- educational cartoons. These are also "keep until I delete", but my wife has agreed to let me archive these to VHS as soon as they record. Therefore, by the time my desired shows will air, the TiVo really won't be out of memory, but it doesn't know that. A solution is for me to wait until just before the air date, and then schedule a recording.)

My wife is unwilling to delete anything, because she wants to watch it all. (There's quite a prodigious amount recorded right now.) She also doesn't know when she'll have time to watch stuff. She won't change "Keep until I delete" to an expiration date, because she can't guarantee when she'll watch the stuff. Our TiVo is effectively no longer an 80 hour TiVo, but a 6-7 hour TiVo, and it's still shrinking. Soon I'll be TiVoless. [sounds of shocked awe]. She's jeopardizing my TiVo experience. Solutions?
You can archive the shows you have watched on the VRC as well. If she complains about the quality, then tell her she can watch them right away. After you archive them, take the "keep until I delete" off. This way if she watches it before it is deleted she will be happy and you will have room to tape more.

I tape more than my hubby does sohe bought me my own HD Tivo for my birthday. This way I can tape what I want and leave it there for as long as I want!

Good Luck!
guppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #644
guppies

You can also add a SATA Drive. Just buy the largest one you can. If she fills that up then there is no hope!
guppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #645
jilter
Happy to be here.

I have a S3. Can you "add" a drive to that?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #646
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
Tim--

You missed your semi-annual bump. How are things on your TiVoHD?
[/looks around for RangersRBack, but see's that the coast is clear to post an update, because he's not here. ]

My wife has pretty much stopped transferring her shows to my TiVo, as she does almost all of her TV watching on her TiVo now. But I still probably have about 10 or so hours of her shows that have been sitting on my TiVo for months now. I don't really have a space problem, though sometimes I've kind of wanted more suggestions that I have. If it bugs me too much, I guess I could try offloading them through my network to one of our computers. (I assume this is possible.)

Or buy a SATA drive, but I hate to spend money for something I don't really need that much. Just yesterday I reminded my wife of these shows that have stagnated and just sat in my NP for months. I said "How about I transfer them back to your TiVO?" But she doesn't want that, because even with all the space she's got since I upgraded her, she has filled up most of it! She doesn't have a lot of room for new shows. I also think part of her backlog is General Hospital again.

I could have sworn that when I first gave her all that space, she said she wouldn't fill it up. Well, she is currently not moving shows to my TiVo, so my castle for the moment not being invaded.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #647
imasofa777
S2 Vet, TiVoHD newb

Quote:
I guess I could try offloading them through my network to one of our computers.
Yes you could, just make sure you have TiVo desktop installed on one of your home computers and you could transfer all of her stuff off of your TiVo. You could also use it to archive things of your own, movies, series etc.
imasofa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #648
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
But I still probably have about 10 or so hours of her shows that have been sitting on my TiVo for months now.
Hopefully set to "Keep until space needed" so all it mucks with is your suggestions

Keep in mind if you setup offloading shows to the PC, your wife will figure out hat she can store lots of shows that way. I would just keep her on her TiVo and let her shows roll off your TiVo if need be.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #649
timckelley
TCFer

Yes, her shows are KUSN, thankfully. But these last couple of days I did go fishing in suggestions for something to watch, and nothing appealed to me, but it's possible that even had her shows been gone, the selections might not have been much better.

I've been slacking for months now with my thumbing, so maybe suggestions isn't doing as good a job as it could be.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #650
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Yes, her shows are KUSN, thankfully. But these last couple of days I did go fishing in suggestions for something to watch, and nothing appealed to me, but it's possible that even had her shows been gone, the selections might not have been much better.

I've been slacking for months now with my thumbing, so maybe suggestions isn't doing as good a job as it could be.
ther is hope - with 9.4 on the TiVo HD you can look at all your thumb ratings and manage them
Old 07-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #651
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Maybe you've already watched everything.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #652
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppies View Post
I tape more than my hubby does sohe bought me my own HD Tivo for my birthday. This way I can tape what I want and leave it there for as long as I want!

Good Luck!
What is this tape you mention?

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been able to ask that question.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #653
timckelley
TCFer

Today my wife has told me she might want to get a third TiVo for the house.

I suggested "How about I up the space on your TiVo?", but her reasoning for the 3rd TiVo is that sometimes my son wants to watch the Wiggles on her TiVo at the same time she wants to watch something, so she thought she could put the third TiVo in the living room so she can watch it while my son watches TV in the family room.

Since most of the other stuff besides "The Wiggles" that my son watches is on DVD, I figured an unsubbed S1 would be good enough for him, and to just have a manual repeating recording get him a constant supply of recent Wiggles episodes.

But I guess this idea won't work, because my wife wants the option to also watch her stuff in the family room when my son isn't watching that TV (meaning one TiVo will be exclusively for my wife, and another would be split between wife and son - the third is upstairs and pretty much my TiVo), and I don't think it will be acceptable for any of my wife's content to be on an unsubbed S1.

I don't really like the idea of shelling the $ out for a 3rd lifetime sub and a brand new 3rd TiVo. The conversation sort of ended today with no plans to buy a 3rd TiVo, and my wife didn't press it, because she realizes the money end of her wish, but I worry based on multitudes of past discussions about things my wife wants, that if I ignore it, it keeps resurfacing and resurfacing in future discussions, and then eventually mushrooms to point that if I don't agree to buy it, she gets really disappointed and hard to live with until I concede.

At this point, it's too soon to say if that will happen here, or if she will decide the luxury isn't worth the $ and just forget about it, so we'll see what happens. Stay tuned to a future episode of "As the timckelley's TiVo Situation Turns" to find out what happens.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #654
alyssa

Quote:
.....but I worry based on multitudes of past discussions about things my wife wants, that if I ignore it, it keeps resurfacing and resurfacing in future discussions, and then eventually mushrooms to point that if I don't agree to buy it, she gets really disappointed and hard to live with until I concede.
...... Stay tuned to a future episode of "As the timckelley's TiVo Situation Turns" to find out what happens.
Way better than a soap tho!
Sounds like you've got till Christmas to figure something out based on my female intuition.
so in the glass half full mode-She gave you a big hint of something to get her for Christmas.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #655
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Today my wife has told me she might want to get a third TiVo for the house.

I suggested "How about I up the space on your TiVo?", but her reasoning for the 3rd TiVo is that sometimes my son wants to watch the Wiggles on her TiVo at the same time she wants to watch something, so she thought she could put the third TiVo in the living room so she can watch it while my son watches TV in the family room.

Since most of the other stuff besides "The Wiggles" that my son watches is on DVD, I figured an unsubbed S1 would be good enough for him, and to just have a manual repeating recording get him a constant supply of recent Wiggles episodes.

But I guess this idea won't work, because my wife wants the option to also watch her stuff in the family room when my son isn't watching that TV (meaning one TiVo will be exclusively for my wife, and another would be split between wife and son - the third is upstairs and pretty much my TiVo), and I don't think it will be acceptable for any of my wife's content to be on an unsubbed S1.

I don't really like the idea of shelling the $ out for a 3rd lifetime sub and a brand new 3rd TiVo. The conversation sort of ended today with no plans to buy a 3rd TiVo, and my wife didn't press it, because she realizes the money end of her wish, but I worry based on multitudes of past discussions about things my wife wants, that if I ignore it, it keeps resurfacing and resurfacing in future discussions, and then eventually mushrooms to point that if I don't agree to buy it, she gets really disappointed and hard to live with until I concede.

At this point, it's too soon to say if that will happen here, or if she will decide the luxury isn't worth the $ and just forget about it, so we'll see what happens. Stay tuned to a future episode of "As the timckelley's TiVo Situation Turns" to find out what happens.
If The Wiggles are really the reason for this, buy some of the DVDs.
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12214194...gles%2Ci%3Advd

I suspect this isn't totally true though.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #656
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring View Post
Upgrade.

Your wife preferrably, but upgrading your TiVo should work almost as well.
That only delays the inevitable. Trust me.

I added 1TB and was thinking that was like infinite space, so I added and extended every season pass I could imagine, until it started deleting stuff a week later.

Now I try to hold down it to 100 season passes.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #657
Brighton Line

I go with buying the DVD or just burn some DVD's yourself. I use to tape everything of the Purple Thing for my newphew when he was young, made tapes for him (Tapes?? What's that) so he could watch it whenever on whatever.
Heck, now I could just give him the laptop and he could watch how to say Thank You all day long.
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #658
timckelley
TCFer

Actually we do have some Wiggles DVDs, which my son sometimes watches. I can ask her, but I have a feeling that in the morning while's she's getting herself and my son ready for school she thinks it's easier to use the TiVo than to bother inserting a DVD, waiting for it to load in DVD memory, then usign the menu commands to get the video started.

But there's a greater issue at stake than how my son can watch the Wiggles. As I said, there are times that she wants to be able to watch her TiVo stuff in the living room while my son watches the TV in the family room (whether it be DVD or TiVo is irrelevant), and there are other times she wants to watch her TiVo stuff in the family room. For now things seem okay, since it's been two days since she brought this up, and it hasn't resurfaced, but it might eventually though.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #659
MickeS

Yes. You need a third TiVo. Sorry.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #660
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
I go with buying the DVD or just burn some DVD's yourself. I use to tape everything of the Purple Thing for my newphew when he was young, made tapes for him (Tapes?? What's that) so he could watch it whenever on whatever.
Heck, now I could just give him the laptop and he could watch how to say Thank You all day long.
in the words of baby Bop - "Fill it up 1, Fill it up 2, Fill it up 3"

You might as well just get the third DVR* as she has a somewhat legit reason she can use to work on you with. After that she will not and you can stand firmer on her not using your TiVo.

*Disclaimer - I have 6 running TiVo DVRs for various uses in the house and my 4 kids - so I may be biased toward just getting a 3rd DVR