TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #151
AlexK777

Called Time Warner in Austin. The cards are pretty cheap ($2.68 each), and I was planning to get 4 cards (2 Tivos). The rep was very friendly, but told me that it was $30 *per card* for the installation. It is bad enough they have to send a rep out in the first place, but this is totally ridiculous. I tried to protest, but no dice.
AlexK777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #152
CaseyK24

Working Cable Cards

With all the problems listed here I might as well chime in with a success story so people aren't too intimidated by the process. I have two HD Tivo's. The first install did not go well from Cablevision but it turned out to be a faulty slot 2 on the Tivo HD. Tivo sent me a new Tivo HD (bought from Tivo.com) and I was able to activate the two cable cards over the phone - no second visit needed. They had left the cards when Tivo RMA'd the Tivo HD.

Then bought a second Tivo HD - Cablevision came with three cards - first two seemed to work fine but they had trouble activating the second on their side so the installed put in the third one and no problems. Originally did not get the higher channels but called Cablevision and they took care of it right away through resending the signal.

Right now have both working with all four tuners are really no problems - very very very slight pixelation sometimes but had that with the Cablevision box also and almost all recordings are perfect.

If you are thinking of getting the Tivo HD - go for it - a little bit of setup as opposed to the Series 2 but not too bad and worth it.

Casey
CaseyK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #153
typer_126

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmail View Post
I would like to start a thread for Astound Cable in Concord and Walnut Creek, California.
Seconded. I have Astound coming out this Saturday to install the cards in my Series 3. I'm more than happy to report back, but I'd like to make sure it's in the appropriate spot.
typer_126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #154
DaBayer

Can you scoop up the Insight stuff and drop it in an Insight thread?

I'm dealing with Insight Louisville from Radcliff.
DaBayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #155
Al-Mann

Thread for Grande Communications Cable Cards...
Al-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #156
jjp007

I installed a S card into my Tivo HD and it was properly paired and worked for a few days then I realized I needed either another S card or an M Card. I got an M Card and tried to install that one but Comcast is having trouble getting it to authorize.
Should I have done something to the Tivo before installing the second M Card? Resetting the box to the factory settings to prepare it for a new CC pairing?

**edit, Comcast has finally got the M card working***

Last edited by jjp007 : 02-09-2008 at 11:51 PM.
jjp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #157
daavo

Do Not Despair - reading all these negative posts you would think that problems are the norm - let me relay my story - i got my Series 3 about a year ago - it took two or three times to get it installed correctly on the first go round but once it they got it right the unit has worked flawlessly until last week when it seemed to lose reception on card #1 only - I called cablevision told them my cc #1 seemed to not be working - they sent a tech the next day - he swapped out the card for a new one - boom no problem. for those of you who might be having a problem don't worry it will probably go smoothly.

Last edited by daavo : 02-17-2008 at 03:18 PM.
daavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #158
smb56

I have had Cable Cards for about 15 months now and Cox Cable Middle Ga. is getting ready for some really good HD upgrades over what we currently have. Needless to say, I can't get 3 of the new HD channels and called Cox Tech Support. Come to find out, they won't upgrade any existing Cable Card to the new channels as they are already in the field. I am waiting on a supervisor to call me back as I write this. With the amount of money I spend with Cox every month, I am expecting a whole lot better customer service than this.
smb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #159
kiwi22

I have a cable card lying around...

Here's my problem...Comcast has told me that their cablecards simply do not work in my county. However, I have one that was installed by a contractor that gets half of the channels and I have one sitting in my tivo that has not been activated.

I have all the numbers I need to give them if I decide to call. Should I just ask for an activation? If so, is it possible for them to resend a signal to my other card to get the other channels working? What are the buzz words I need to use? I don't want to spend hours on the phone with them like I did last time.
kiwi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #160
trlyka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi22 View Post
Here's my problem...Comcast has told me that their cablecards simply do not work in my county. However, I have one that was installed by a contractor that gets half of the channels and I have one sitting in my tivo that has not been activated.

I have all the numbers I need to give them if I decide to call. Should I just ask for an activation? If so, is it possible for them to resend a signal to my other card to get the other channels working? What are the buzz words I need to use? I don't want to spend hours on the phone with them like I did last time.

Did they say why the cable cards don't work in your county? It shouldn't matter where in the system you live, the cards should work, but I can't say for sure. I would want to know why that is. Unless there is some unwritten rule, I have never heard that a card won't work based on where you live.

I myself have gone through missing channels a few times (very sparatic too) and no real valid reason. They just stop comning in. Also, my Mom had a black screen on both her cards until hits were sent. It's usually trial and error on getting them to work. Cable cards can be a real PITA and troubleshooting for them is limited from most customer service reps. Since I have Tivo and a total of 6 cards between my 2 units and my Moms unit, I have learned a little about what works and what doesn't.

We have a seperate behind the scenes department that enters the card information in the system. Customer service reps don't have access to enter this information or change it. We can only see the card numbers and send hits as well as pair/unpair the cards. In a case that a customer removes the card(s) and the Host Data and Host ID numbers change, they need to be re entered. The numbers will usually change if you pull the card out of the Tivo. I don't think the techs tell customers not to remove the cards and I don't think a lot or reps know what to look for or how to ask you to check the numbers on the Tivo. If a customer calls with a cable card issue, I go as far as to call my internal department who will "work thier magic" since I am limited in what I can do for a customer. Most reps set up trouble calls and do very little troubleshooting simply because they are unfamiliar with the cards. Also, I find a lot of times a hit to the card will take a while to work. With a cable box it's almost instant to get missing channels, but with a cable card it seems to take a lot longer. Long enough to make you think it didn't work and then create a trouble call.

If you are having a problem with your cards and call customer service........IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO TELL THE REP YOUR CARD NUMBERS AND CONFIRM THEY MATCH. Without the right information on both ends, the cards will never work right. Don't assume the information hasn't changed. Always have the rep check to make sure it matches.

I can certainly understand the frustrations of everyone here. I am a cable card customer too. But I also work on the receiving end. Cable cards became very popular very fast. Especially with Tivo's HD boom. It was all we could do to get the installs done without a bunch of mistakes. Then we had so many on back order, customers were double mad that they had to wait. I don't know how it is in other cable systems, but we had a tough time keeing up with demand. We have just recently caught up on all the back orders
Old 03-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #161
Philtho

Here is a success story. Madison, WI. Charter.

I picked up my HD Tivo a few weeks back at Best Buy. I had called Charter up and confirmed that I could get two cablecards installed a few days later. I found out after I bought my HD Tivo that I could just use a single multi-stream cablecard. So I called Charter back and they said no problem, your install order has been updated. They gave me an AMAZING deal on every single channel they offered, so I went for it. Literally everything. Cheap!

The install day came, I left work early, and the guy showed up on time. He was pretty damn nice, knew what he was doing, and slapped the card in the slot, we went through the Tivo walkthrough, and we got nothing but a black screen. We went to the test channels and we got more black screen, but the channel names and logo were showing up, so it was getting SOME information. He called in to his site and spoke with someone, they said everything was fine on their end when suddenly the test channels started showing a picture.

Patience is a virtue.

You just need to let the cablecards download info, handshake, make love, whatever it is they do for five to ten minutes before you should start worrying. He mentioned they do so few cablecard installs that its still a learning process. (This was a bit upsetting. I've used their Moxi box, and i'd rather be in the UK with a single channel to watch than use it. It's that bad.)

We tested all the channels, everything looked amazing. I was happy, he was happy, and he packed up and left after a total of maybe 20-30 minutes. Not bad, probably the quickest cable install I've ever experienced.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

I noticed I wasn't getting Showtime, or Showtime HD. It was very easy to overlook when you've suddenly got 600,342 channels to look at. I called up Charter and got a very nice person and told her how nice the install went with the exception that I am not getting my Showtime. Long story short, the guy who gave me that original AMAZING deal basically lied to me about everything. They work on commission, so he signed me up for every package with NO DISCOUNT. I broke down the price points of the deal the guy gave me (After dealing with cable companies for the past 20 years, always write everything down. Time, date, person, every pricing detail, etc. TRUST ME ON THIS.) .. I went through item by item, etc. She mentioned that they do have some of those deals, but they've all expired, and some didn't even exist. She loved the fact that I had the guys name, apparently they can catch people trying to scam the system and maybe they get commission for catching people trying to get commission. Who knows, it gave me a laugh. She asked me to hold on so she could talk to her super. When she came back, she mentioned she couldn't offer me the same deal the guy did, but she was allowed to use any specials in the system she had available, and she could work it as close as she could get it. We spent maybe two hours on the phone, and she got it within THREE dollars of what I was originally quoted.

No problem.

She was a blast to talk to on the phone, we shared some stories, and it's not enough to get upset about. She blipped my cable system and my HD Tivo got Showtime and the world was right again.

The true test was to finally receive the invoice and see if it matched up and wasn't $180 or whatever insane amount it was going to be without all the deals.

When the invoice came, all was good. I'm still smiling, my $2 M-CARD works awesome, almost all my shows are in HD, and I think I'll be going to get an external drive sometime soon to expand it all.

Seriously, I'm living the Tivo dream I've always wanted the day I bought my first HDTV almost five plus years ago. The SVD has me worried, but I'm hoping those tuner boxes come out before Charter jumps on that bandwagon.

Way to go Tivo.

PS. When you get this many channels, the guide data, even if it says its done importing and everything else, will take over a day to complete. Season passes and channels wont show up in the Find Programs until that is done. Only some will.

Patience is a virtue.

-Phil
Philtho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #162
TivoSwain

Communicomm Services

Need a thread for Communicomm out of Tazewell,TN. I having a hard time getting the Premium HD channels to work with my cablecards,they say I have to have their DVR for them to work. Tivo thinks they may have them flaged as PPV or VOD. I've not had any luck trying to get to a tech to see if this is true. Would Like to know if anyone has been able to get the HD's in.
TivoSwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #163
b_scott
TiVo Fan

self-installing an M-card into a TivoHD (long story)

I have Comcast. it's been Aquiring Channel Information (blue screen, white/black wheel) for 10-15 minutes so far. this is normal, right?
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #164
b_scott
TiVo Fan

yeah no dice. after two hours on/off the phone it is not getting the signal, it's just bouncing back. apparently this is a problem with some M-Cards. he's elevating it to their tech guys and going to call me back tomorrow night i guess.

:sigh:

i was really looking forward to HD tonight.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #165
ajayabb

My local comcast store has been out of cable cards for about a week. Anyone else with a similar dilemma. I live in South Jersey .

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #166
Philtho

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post
self-installing an M-card into a TivoHD (long story)

I have Comcast. it's been Aquiring Channel Information (blue screen, white/black wheel) for 10-15 minutes so far. this is normal, right?
Yeah, 10 or so minutes is normal for it to do this. At least for me it was. Mine was with a black screen, however. This was on the test channel function. I could see the channel information (Ie. "24 USA Network"), but no picture .. It took a while.

Sucks that it still didn't work after a few hours, though. Hopefully they get you up and going. Maybe just have a tech guy come out and do this for you, since he'll have a direct line into the company to troubleshoot with people that might be able to do something.
Philtho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #167
b_scott
TiVo Fan

came home yesterday and it was magically working. thanks for the concern though

odd stuff. still not getting AMC HD which just came out on Monday, and i believe i should be.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #168
bretley42

I just had Verizon (FIOS) drop 2 S cards into my S3 HD Tivo. The rep came out 10 minutes after the beginning of the time window, and was gone within an hour.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy this was for the tech (he said this was only the 3rd he's done, and the first in over a year). He had to call in and have one of the cards re-set but that was the only delay in the entire process.

The unit itself is a great treat (but you guys know that already) and tivo desktop 2.6 plus is bittorrent's best friend.

Anyway, a good word in the sea of problems is worthwhile.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #169
jmaditto

Install Fee per card

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK777 View Post
Called Time Warner in Austin. The cards are pretty cheap ($2.68 each), and I was planning to get 4 cards (2 Tivos). The rep was very friendly, but told me that it was $30 *per card* for the installation. It is bad enough they have to send a rep out in the first place, but this is totally ridiculous. I tried to protest, but no dice.

I havenít jumped to cable cards yet but when I do, I have already decided that if TWC wants to charge me an install fee per card, Iím going to schedule separate visitsÖ1 for each card. I can work from home so I donít mind waiting around on 4 separate occasions. Ridiculous.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #170
ajny

I just got a TivoHD and I have a quick question for the other memebers. In my area (Central NJ) Comcast is out of cable cards. They do not have a ETA on when they will get those cards. Now, I was able to pickup a Motorola DCH3200 HD cable box from the local comcast office. I was able to install and activate (over phone) the cable box and it is working fine. Now, on the back of the cable box I see a M-type card behind a cover plate. My question is- can I remove the cable card from the cable box and install it in my tivo, will my tivo be able to receive all scrambled HD Channels? (I understand that my HD cable box will stop working once I unplug the cable card from that box, which is Ok by me. This is just a intermediate setup till comcast can supply a new cable card.)
ajny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #171
Cherylabq

I've gotten TWO TiVo HD Series 3 boxes WORKING!

I FINALLY got my second TiVo HD Series 3 WORKING. After two TiVos...I kind of see a pattern of why I wasn't getting channels on some of my tuners. It took about four calls this time to finally get someone on the phone who would be patient with my assessment of the situation. So...Here are the SECRETS to hopefully get your TiVo running:

First, make sure Comcast has matched the cablecards to the correct host IDs. You can pull out the cards yourself and write down the cablecard numbers. Then go into the Messages and Settings menu. Select Account & System Information menu. Then, the CableCARD Decoders menu. Select Configure CableCARD 1 and then CableCARD Menu. Look for the Host ID Screen (the name is different for Multistream and Singlestream Scientific Atlanta cards). Write down the Host ID number for CableCARD 1 (with the number on the card). Do the same for CableCARD 2. The numbers can get screwed up when the Comcast Rep enters them. If this fails to get your channels working...

Make SURE the Hierarchy of your Comcast equipment is listed correctly on your account. I will try to order this in layman's terms from what I wrote down after I convinced my Comcast Rep to check the equipment order:

Comcast Hierarchy

1. HD DVRs must be listed FIRST!!
2. Non HD DVR boxes next
3. HD cableboxes (without a DVR)
4. Digital Converter (which she said were regular cable boxes)
5. Modem (for internet access)
6. Phone service (I think it was an EMTA for those getting Comcast phone service)
7. Cablecards

If you are still missing channels on one or more of your tuners, make sure the TiVo rate is linked to your account (I'm not sure how they do this, I just know not having it messed up my first TiVo HD Series 3).

I hope this helps everyone!

A working TiVo HD Series 3 rocks!
Cherylabq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #172
Grex

I would also like to add my success story. Received my Series 3 on Monday had Charter come by today to setup. 2 multi-stream cards installed and working great so far. Love it. The longest part was they had to find the cards in the system. But i guess after reading all the faq's on setting up, i had everything ready. i got lucky and got an installer that was nice enough to let me drive most of the way.

I think most of the time the problem is that they don't get installed very often compared to other boxes. Maybe its just my area but the last the installer i had installed a Tivo was close to 6 months ago. Therefore are not that experienced and don't know what to do if a problem arises.

Also after talking with the installer they pretty much dread every time they hear the word cablecard. Whether its going into a Tivo or any other device.

Just my 5 cents.
Grex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #173
erwos

Gave Comcast a call today. They seemed to know what I was talking about. Unfortunately they claimed they didn't have any install dates open until _July 23rd_, which is more than three weeks from now. That's clearly unacceptable, so I'm going to escalate.
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #174
erwos

Update: Comcast executive escalations called me, apologized, and rescheduled it for tomorrow.
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #175
OBLEFTY

Cable Cards/ HD Cable Box

I just received my new Tivo Series 3 yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to activate my new Cable Cards, since their Activation department is only open when I'm at work.

I've had a HD Cable Box for quite some time and I'd like to keep it and use it for On Demand type stuff and would like to split my cable coming out of the wall with one cable going to my tivo and one going to my Cable Box.

Will I have a good enough signal to use a splitter?

Thanks!
OBLEFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #176
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLEFTY View Post
I just received my new Tivo Series 3 yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to activate my new Cable Cards, since their Activation department is only open when I'm at work.

I've had a HD Cable Box for quite some time and I'd like to keep it and use it for On Demand type stuff and would like to split my cable coming out of the wall with one cable going to my tivo and one going to my Cable Box.

Will I have a good enough signal to use a splitter?

Thanks!
You can check the signal strengh in Tivo!!! And if you have problem, then a signal booster ( I use the one from Motorola, excellent by the way) would fix it.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #177
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajny View Post
I just got a TivoHD and I have a quick question for the other memebers. In my area (Central NJ) Comcast is out of cable cards. They do not have a ETA on when they will get those cards. Now, I was able to pickup a Motorola DCH3200 HD cable box from the local comcast office. I was able to install and activate (over phone) the cable box and it is working fine. Now, on the back of the cable box I see a M-type card behind a cover plate. My question is- can I remove the cable card from the cable box and install it in my tivo, will my tivo be able to receive all scrambled HD Channels? (I understand that my HD cable box will stop working once I unplug the cable card from that box, which is Ok by me. This is just a intermediate setup till comcast can supply a new cable card.)
In the ideal case, yes it will work, when you call comcast to ask for a REHIT. Go to Tivo site and look at FAQs. There is an answer about moving cable card to a new Tivo. It will describe exactly how to do it.

It worked for me the first time.

However, when I did it again with a new Tivo HD box, it missed a few channels.

So it does not always work for me.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #178
jefny

Verizon FIOS and Cablecards

Yesterday I spoke to customer service about switching to FIOS from Cablevision and had some questions on cablecards. Right now they only have the s cards at 3.99 a month each (double what Cablevision charges). I asked about the M cards where only one is necessary. Verizon CS responded that they expect to have them (M cards) later in the year. WHen I asked how much to come and install them I was told I could pick them up myself and do a self-installation!

I asked: Are you sure? and the answer was yes. Has their been a change in Verizon policy on this?

John
jefny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #179
Brighton Line

I caution you, my friend on Long Island called three times to confirm he can pick up cable cards from Verizon. When he got to the office they say NO WAY.
He even called Customer Service from the office to prove to them CS says they can, and CS agent once more said you can pick up cablecards. Needless to say he had to schedule a truck roll.
I bet VZ CS is still saying you can pick em up when you can't but that is just a guess and a story.
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 AM   #180
bumgarb

Verizon CableCards self-install now?

I just finished ordering 2 S-cablecards from Verizon. To my surprise, they are mailing the cards to me and no technician will be required.

Has anyone else experienced this with Verizon?
How successfully were you are doing the install?
Anyone have detailed instructions for customer self-installation?

-bumgarb
bumgarb is offline   Reply With Quote