TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #4771
mrlogical

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaintfl View Post
It's been going on two months and I still do not have CableCARDS in my TivoHD. Have paid two months of digtal cable and still have not seen one digital cable channel.

Comcast has been an absolute nightmare in my area of South Florida. They threatened me ..Hung up on... Screamed at (yes screamed at!) as soon as I mention CableCards & TivoHD. And if I bring back 2 Comcast DVRs I would be charged more for the 2 cablecards with the 1 TivoHD.

Well the two brought back 2 DVRs has resulted in them charging almost double for HSI Internet Service. The HSI listed in the Local Newspaper (Comcast Ad) and a pricing list from the local Comcast @ HSI $42.95 with Cable and $57.95 non-Cable Customer... They have charged $77.59 for the HSI this billing cycle, just because I brought back the DVRs!!

Isn't this False Advertisement if the prices are listed in the Local Newspaper and I have a printout of their own Comcast Price List?

Anyone I can speak to or file complaint to? I would hate to file complaint about a company unless it is the absolute worse case scenario and Comcast has brought me to that point.
Why should you hate to file a complaint against them if they've been screaming at you and refusing to charge you a proper price? How bad do you think their behavior has to be for you to file a complaint against them? Of course you can and should file a complaint against them. If anything, it will make them more likely to try to make amends--certainly someone at Comcast there has to be sane and realize that conduct is unacceptable. Call your local county government or visit their webpage (my county has an online form to fill out for complaints against the cable providers). And call Comcast and ask to speak to a supervisor immediately and explain how you've been treated and odds are they should fix things. If that doesn't work, 215-640-8960 is the number to reach the Comcast executive offices, call them. If they are *threatening* you, *screaming* at you, and *hanging up on you*, I'm not sure what you're waiting for to happen before you file a complaint. I would file a complaint immediately, and then complain to everyone up the chain at comcast until you get a response. As long as you are calm, polite, and assertive, you will get to someone who will help you eventually.
mrlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #4772
jayabraham

Well I tried and got hooked up with cable cards in Chicago yesterday. Not a pleasant experience but all in all about 5 hours elapsed time from when I picked up the cards to when I finally got it working.

I was expecting a hassle going to pick up the cable card after reading this thread but when I showed up at the 1255 W North Avenue location, they knew what a M card was and gave me one right away. Then when I asked if I needed to call someone to activate it when I plugged it in, she said no that she had scanned the bar-code in and it was active (wrong!).

I went home and plugged it in, got my screen with the info on Cablecard ID, Host ID, Data: and Unit address and wrote it down then went to check channels on the Tivo menu. Just went into a downloading channels loop for about 15 minutes before it gives up and says it can't get a connection. Can't use Live TV at all now.

I call the cable company CSR and they are nice enough, they look and and say it is active, we confirm that it is right card, she read out serial number of the card, it matches, she pings it and said it should be reading but nothing happens. She says there isn't anything else she can do. I then give Tivo a call, where tech wasn't as nice but walked me through what I should look for to see if card was connected.

On configure Card menu, top option is Conditional Access. It should give you the following lines:
Unit Address
Encryption
Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V

Mine was reading No for connected (Con) and question mark for Val (validated). He said that the EBCP indicated that card was active but now somebody needed to connect to it and pair it.

I called Comcast again and talked to another nice CSR who pinged it and said I should try again and she would call me in an hour to confirm everything worked. I asked if she had done a cable card connection before and she indicated no but she knew how to do it. I told her I thought (from reading this thread) that she needed to get some information from me to pair it but she said no.
Waited an 75 minutes and nothing changed nor did I get a call back from the CSR. I tried again and this time I got a guy who claimed that Comcast doesn't support Tivo and I tried again to explain that I wasn't trying to get help with my Tivo but with a cable card activation. Finally got him to understand that, then he said that there wasn't anything he could do and I didn't need to speak to a supervisor to get help what I needed was a technician visit which he set up for the following morning.

At this point, I gave up and called the Executive Care number that someone else listed for Chicago. Once I got someone from that group online, they asked me to wait 10 minutes while they finished up another call, then she helped activate the box over the next 15 minutes. She asked me for some information in different terms than Tivo gave it but we figured out that it was the Host ID listed. Once she put that in and removed a lot of the billing codes currently flagged to my account, it started working. She said that the billing codes drive the signal to pair my account which is why if they aren't totally correct then you will have problem pairing.

Now the only issue is I seem to be getting a lot more channels than I thought I was getting which seem to be on higher paid or optional tiers. We'll see after I get the first paper bill whether they still have the billing part of this right.

So 5 hours and 4 different CSRs before I finally got some one to do it right and I didn't have to waste today on a technican visit.
jayabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #4773
BanditWS6

thesaintfl, that story is incredible. And I thought I had bad service from Comcast! Where are you in south FL, east coast or west coast?
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #4774
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayabraham View Post
Well I tried and got hooked up with cable cards in Chicago yesterday. Not a pleasant experience but all in all about 5 hours elapsed time from when I picked up the cards to when I finally got it working.
I'm a Comcast Customer in New England.

I have 5 DVRs with CableCards. Originally they all had "S" cards
and since September I have upgraded all 5 with "M" Cards.

My Experience is 100% Different but then so was my mode of
operation. In all Cases a TECH came to my home. In all cases
except one - where we determined it was a BAD "M" card - each
of 10 installs only took 15 minutes. The tech calls a special ADVANCED
Network Operations center and reads all the pairing info and the
unit is up an running.

If you try a self install - Comcast will not let you talk to the Advanced
center. It is even harder than that. The Techs that came to my
home get poor cell phone reception. I offer them my Land-line.

The land-line can not get through to the center. Only their Cell
phone can get through. Comcast uses CID to block none technician
numbers from getting through.

BOTTOM LINE - sometimes it pays to have the Tech install the
CableCard.

Yes - I know I have read about some of those horror stories also.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #4775
silypuddy

Repeated upgrade mode for cc2

My second cablecard is stuck in a firmware upgrade mode loop. It goes into upgrade mode for a couple hours, then goes live for five minutes or so, and then back into upgrade mode.

I know Comcast did a firmware upgrade because I heard a recording and talked to a tech. Apparently it didn't go well as planned as the tech told me there were over 75 people on hold at one point.

I've managed to catch the time in the loop where the card was working and have popped it out. I'm looking for suggestions or ideas other than calling comcast to setup a truck roll.

Should I pop it back in and hope for the best?
Reboot the TiVo?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as it took six truck rolls to get my two cards working to begin with.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:31 AM   #4776
rodneyremington

Here's my cablecard installation experience.

Comcast in Clovis, California (Fresno area). Took 2 weeks to get an appointment. Had a 8-12 appointment. No-show. Called comcast, guy showed up 45 minutes late, had never done a cablecard installation and had no cablecards.

Said his supervisor was supposed to help him but got delayed. Got on the phone and chewed his managers butt. He offered to send his head tech any time I wanted, so I said after work today.

Guy showed up right on time, knew all about TiVo's, had a multistream card, got it up and running in 10 minutes.

It works AWESOME!!! All the channels that are supposed to be there, are there. Goodbye motorola HD DVR-- you got me by for the last year or so but you SUCK.
rodneyremington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #4777
pl1

Price Increase Comcast/ne 02/01/08

PRICE INCREASE COMCAST/NE 02/01/08

Just got my new price increases. Along with all of the normal increases, now they want to charge $5.00/mo. per A/O up from $3.51/mo. (while only billing $2.75/mo.) If this charge DOES go through, that means $15.00/mo. for me for 4 cableCARDs on two Series 3 devices. I might just have to return two of the cableCARDS and go back to OTA (after ALL of the HASSLE it took for me to get them configured right in the first place.)

Last edited by pl1 : 01-16-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: clarification
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #4778
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post

PRICE INCREASE COMCAST/NE 02/01/08

Just got my new price increases. Along with all of the normal increases, now they want to charge $5.00/mo. per A/O up from $3.51/mo. (while only billing $2.75/mo.) If this charge DOES go through, that means $15.00/mo. for me for 4 cableCARDs on two Series 3 devices. I might just have to return two of them after ALL of the HASSLE it took to get them configured right in the first place.
I tried to find this info on the Comcast website.

I must be looking in the wrong places.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #4779
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I tried to find this info on the Comcast website.

I must be looking in the wrong places.
It came atached to my January 2008 bill today, online.

https://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Cu...erCentral.html

A co-worker in Somerville has different rates than I do in the lowell Area, so, the rates will not be identical. But, I will have to pay an extra $10.78 plus taxes per month now for Digital Preferred plus one premium and internet.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #4780
drhankz

Quote:

A co-worker in Somerville has different rates than I do in the lowell Area, so, the rates will not be identical. But, I will have to pay an extra $10.78 plus taxes per month now for Digital Preferred plus one premium and internet.
OK - Thanks - I will look at my ONLINE BILL.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #4781
David Ortiz
Yankee Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyremington View Post
Here's my cablecard installation experience.

Comcast in Clovis, California (Fresno area). Took 2 weeks to get an appointment. Had a 8-12 appointment. No-show. Called comcast, guy showed up 45 minutes late, had never done a cablecard installation and had no cablecards.

Said his supervisor was supposed to help him but got delayed. Got on the phone and chewed his managers butt. He offered to send his head tech any time I wanted, so I said after work today.

Guy showed up right on time, knew all about TiVo's, had a multistream card, got it up and running in 10 minutes.

It works AWESOME!!! All the channels that are supposed to be there, are there. Goodbye motorola HD DVR-- you got me by for the last year or so but you SUCK.
Rodney,

My appointment is this morning in Fresno. You have a TiVoHD and a single M-series card? Comcast told me that their system required two cards, even M-series cards.

I tried to investigate further, and it seems that they were mistaken, but your post would seem to confirm that.

I hope someone shows up here before my appointment ends. Do you know the name of the head tech?

Thanks a lot,

David
David Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #4782
drhankz

Quote:

WOW - I'm HAPPY

I checked my BILL ONLINE and it has GONE DOWN A LOT

FYI - I'm in Salem, NH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (25.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #4783
pl1

Quote:
WOW - I'm HAPPY

FYI - I'm in Salem, NH
Check out your A/O (Additional Outlet) charges. I bet it went up.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #4784
rodneyremington

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
Rodney,

My appointment is this morning in Fresno. You have a TiVoHD and a single M-series card? Comcast told me that their system required two cards, even M-series cards.

I tried to investigate further, and it seems that they were mistaken, but your post would seem to confirm that.

I hope someone shows up here before my appointment ends. Do you know the name of the head tech?

Thanks a lot,

David
Hi David. I have only one (multistream) card in my THD and it works great for both tuners. My tech was a contractor and not an in-house Comcast installer. I don't remember his name. Sounds like you were misinformed because one M-card is all you need.
rodneyremington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #4785
pl1

Quote:
WOW - I'm HAPPY

FYI - I'm in Salem, NH
BTW, did you notice on YOUR screen capture the increase from N/C to $1.50/mo for your cableCARD (Additional cards, same device)?

Anyway, the portion of the bill (that you are referring to) went down a little on my bill as well. The cableCARD charge has not changed while yours increased.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #4786
drhankz

Quote:
BTW, did you notice on YOUR screen capture the increase from N/C to $1.50/mo for your cableCARD (Additional cards, same device)?

Anyway, the portion of the bill (that you are referring to) went down a little on my bill as well. The cableCARD charge has not changed while yours increased.

I was paying $2.75 for each CableCard - now it looks
like $1.50.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #4787
pl1

Quote:
I was paying $2.75 for each CableCard - now it looks
like $1.50.
That's where a lot of people are confused. You were paying $2.75 for an A/O, not a cableCARD. Notice it says N/C for your cableCARD?

If the pricing goes through as listed, it would be

$5.00/mo for the A/O and $1.50/mo for a second card in the same device.

But, they never charged us last year's increase from $2.75/mo to $3.51/mo. So, I'm crossing my fingers that the price will stay the same at $2.75/Mo. and not go to $5.00/mo as shown. Not to mention, the $1.50/mo for each additional card in the same device.

Last edited by pl1 : 01-16-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #4788
drhankz

Quote:
That's where a lot of people are confused. You were paying $2.75 for an A/O, not a cableCARD. Notice it says N/C for your cableCARD?

If the pricing goes through as listed, it would be

$5.00/mo for the A/O and $1.50/mo for a second card in the same device.

But, they never charged us last years increase from $2.75/mo to $3.51/mo. So, I'm crossing my fingers that the price will stay the same at $2.75/Mo. and not go to $5.00/mo as shown. Not to mention, the $1.50/mo for each additional card in the same device.
On my previous bill - I was charged $2.75 for EACH CableCard
but it is called out on the BILL as $2.75 per A/O.

I don't see where something called A/O Changes to $5 + $1.5?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #4789
pl1

Quote:
On my previous bill - I was charged $2.75 for EACH CableCard
but it is called out on the BILL as $2.75 per A/O.

I don't see where something called A/O Changes to $5 + $1.5?
Look on your new price sheet for the section I referred to. Under
Quote:
A LA CARTE Choices
at the bottom of the second page of the cable tv price sheet.

DIGITAL ADDITIONAL OUTLET SERVICE CHARGE

was $3.51/mo. now $5.00/mo. (Your price might say $2.75/mo.)

Then, look at the page you referred to.

Quote:
(additional cards, same device) $1.50/mo.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #4790
drhankz

Quote:
Look on your new price sheet for the section I referred to. Under at the bottom of the second page of the cable tv price sheet.

DIGITAL ADDITIONAL OUTLET SERVICE CHARGE

was $3.51 now $5.00 (Your price might say $2.75)

Then, look at the page you referred to.
I see it NOW - My OLD price was $2.75.

My New Price will be $3.51

I believe the Cable Card Charge OLD and NEW is still $0.

The NEW $1.5 charge says - (ADDITIONAL CARDS, SAME DEVICE)

Therefore - If you only had one CableCard - I would have only the $3.51.

If I had two CableCards in the SAME BOX - it would be $3.51+$1.50.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #4791
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Don't forget what this says....A "digital" additional outlet charge which is for reception of "premium services or packages".

If you are like me, with a basic package, and using the CCs to receive the in the clear QAM HD locals, there should be no A/O charge.

May be a pain to fight if they charge you, but it is a valid fight.

Last edited by jlb : 01-16-2008 at 02:22 PM.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #4792
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post

Don't forget what this says....A "digital" additional outlet charge which is for reception of "premium services or packages".

If you are like me, basic analog, and using the CCs to receive the in the clear QAM HD locals, there should be no A/O charge.

May be a pain to fight if they charge you, but it is a valid fight.
Your example is true.

In my case I want the PREMIUM extra cost channels.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #4793
ericr74

Last weekend Comcast came out and installed CableCards in my TiVoHD. I asked for multistream cards, and they said they don't have those. They said the first card will be free and the second card will be $1.50. I didn't want any service upgrades (just wanted to receive the local channels in HD). They said that if I upgrade to the next package up I will have an extra 5 channels for $1 per month extra, and that they will give me a 6-month introductory rate which is $20 cheaper than the normal rate. So of course I took that; the extra channels are not something I care about but I can cancel those after six months when I've saved $120.

When the installer came, he DID have multistream cards and installed one for me. Everything was working when he left, then the TiVo did a self-reboot after he was gone. After the reboot lots of my screens had a plain grey background. Also I didn't receive the new HD channels. I manually rebooted again, and everything came back, including the new HD channels.

So my one question: should/will I be charged $1.50 for my multistream card? Or is that free since it's the first card? Here is Comcast's somewhat ambiguous link.
ericr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #4794
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr74 View Post
So my one question: should/will I be charged $1.50 for my multistream card? Or is that free since it's the first card? Here is Comcast's somewhat ambiguous link.
Thanks for that GREAT LINK
Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #4795
pl1

Quote:
I see it NOW - My OLD price was $2.75.

My New Price will be $3.51

I believe the Cable Card Charge OLD and NEW is still $0.

The NEW $1.5 charge says - (ADDITIONAL CARDS, SAME DEVICE)

Therefore - If you only had one CableCard - I would have only the $3.51.

If I had two CableCards in the SAME BOX - it would be $3.51+$1.50.
Right, in my case, I have two series 3 TiVo's with 4 cableCARDS. So three of them get the A/O charge. Like I said, I am hoping that they don't actually increase this to $5.00/mo. Also, are you sure you are looking at the newest price list dated 01-14-2008? Because, the price list I had from last year 01-17-2007 looked a lot like the one you are looking at. It went from $2.75/mo to $3.51/mo. But, they only charged us $2.75/mo. all last year even though the price list said $3.51/mo.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #4796
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr74 View Post
So my one question: should/will I be charged $1.50 for my multistream card? Or is that free since it's the first card?
Why not just check your bill on-line? Anytime I have anything done by Comcast, the adjustments show up the next day. That would give you an idea of the monthly charges.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #4797
pl1

Quote:
Don't forget what this says....A "digital" additional outlet charge which is for reception of "premium services or packages". If you are like me, with a basic package, and using the CCs to receive the in the clear QAM HD locals, there should be no A/O charge.
I wonder if this is actually true for you. Have you checked your on-line bill to see if you have any pro-rated A/O or cableCARD charges?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #4798
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Haven't checked yet. Worst case scenario, I will check my paper bill when it arrives and fight it then.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #4799
ericr74

Quote:
Why not just check your bill on-line? Anytime I have anything done by Comcast, the adjustments show up the next day. That would give you an idea of the monthly charges.
I didn't know I could look at intermediate charges before my bill comes out. When I look at my recent activity online I see "TIVO3 CABLE CARD PKG 01/12 TO 01/31" with the cost "$ 0.96". If you do the math, this would be $1.50 for a full month, as quoted for the second single-stream cable card. So my follow-on question: is this the correct charge? Or should it be free since I only have one multi-stream cable card?
ericr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #4800
tivoROCKSme

Quote:
Now I need the My DVR Expander (no desire to open the box) so I can set all of my SPs in HD (when available).
I'll tell you, it's SUPER easy with the right TORX bits and the WINMFS software. Literally less than one hour start to finish and you can be done. And it can save much $$ as opposed to buying the My DVR Expander. Plus, using WinMFS you can potentially add over 2 TB of space as opposed to being limited to a 500MB expander with the tiny 160MB internal.

But, on the other side, if you're not comfortable doing it, don't do it.