TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #2731
Pricele$$Vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler314 View Post
Amazingly they did show up this morning, of course I'm on vacation...so they came and my gf was there...apparently the install went at least somewhat ok. She tells me we get everything up to about channel 100. The TWCNYC tech said everything was good on their side. Hopefully the next time the tivo updates itself it'll sort it out, if not I'm sure I'lll be on the phone a few hours when I get home next week!

BTW it's just one M-card for my Tivo HD
Dude I'm so nervous about TWCNYC. They're supposed to stopby my home today to install the Cable Cards.

What should I expect? I should get all the same channels that I currently get via the cable box ---with the exception of On Demand?
Pricele$$Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #2732
juggler314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricele$$Vulture View Post
Dude I'm so nervous about TWCNYC. They're supposed to stopby my home today to install the Cable Cards.

What should I expect? I should get all the same channels that I currently get via the cable box ---with the exception of On Demand?
Well like I said, I have yet to actually use my newly setup Tivo since I'm on vacation, but you should get every channel you got with your old box, +HD (if you didn't have an HD box before), you will not be able to use any OD channels because they use two way communication. Also you will not recieve any SDV channels. From my reading of this forum it doesn't seem like thare are many/any SDV channels in TWCNYC.

I highly suggest if they don't show up that you b*tch and get a free months service though. And when they tell you it's impossible to reschedule outside of the computer system, call BS - I got a guy to show up next day, although someone had to arrange for that special.
juggler314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #2733
mack89464

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89464 View Post
Update: The excellent field tech that helped me before is coming out to me again tomorrow. He doesnt work Fridays but he's going to come out and help me with the IS team and get it fixed once and for all.
The field techs are so helpful (or at least try to be) the call center staff are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Hopefully tomorrow the final update will be me cheering and clapping at everything working again :-)
We'll see!
Yesterday a new field technician came out - an Indian guy - who was great. He arrived and promised me we would be up and running very quickly.
10 minutes later he made a call to dispatch - a few hits later all was working and my problem is resolved. So it proves again what everyone has said on these forums all along. It all depends on who you get out on site - just luck. The bad part is that TWC has nobody working in the call center with half a brain. The only person I spoke to out of the 12+ call center reps with any good level of customer service was a lady called Rhonda. Polite, helpful and actually listened to what I had to say. Didn't cut me off, transfer me or dump me to another queue like everyone else. She also gave me a $75 credit on my account.

Good luck to others in the Hollywood / LA area getting their cards installed. Its like playing roulette (more like Russian Roulette)
mack89464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #2734
Pricele$$Vulture

OMG!!! I can't believe TWCNYC actually did something right. The guy that stopped by was great. Finished the install in under 15 mins. All channels coming in fine thus far. I'm pretty impressed with the field tech.
Pricele$$Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #2735
bobrt6676

Smile Cable card install

On Jan 4th TWC arrived at 6:20 P.M.(window 6-8:30). My first question was how many cable cards have you installed? 0 he said, but I have an expert on the phone. I handed him the Tivo instructions for Card installers. 2 hours latter I was up and running. Not bad for a newbie, thanks to Percy at TWC.
Today, I noticed I was missing 4 HD channels. Called CST she tried to send a "hit" to the cable cards. Nothing changed. Asked if I had 2 CC's. I will have to get someone to help me. Transferred me to Roadrunner National tech support!! He transferred me back to someone else who promptly sent a "hit" to my CC's and the missing channels were there not even a reboot needed! Except for a small hiccup a positive for TWC Dayton,Ohio
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #2736
stevec5375

And the Time Warner Austin fiasco continues....

12/19/07
Time Warner contractor from DCOM arrives around 10am. He spends at least 1 hour at the house trying to get the cards to pair. No success.
He returns at 5:30pm that evening and tries again. This time he calls his supervisor over to my house and between the two of them and Time Warner telephone technicians, they get the cards paired but no HD channels are showing.
It’s 8:30pm and they tell me they have another job to do and must leave and that it’s possible that by the next day the HD channels will be there. Not true and the channels still have not showed up.

12/19/07
While the Time Warner contractor is at my home attempting to pair two cable cards, I’m on the phone with tech support listening to this woman tell me they don’t support cable cards in non TW owned equipment. I asked her to repeat that to the technician. He was floored and got her employee number. The company’s own representatives don’t even know what services they offer even though it’s plainly on their public web site.

12/22/07
I’m waiting for a TW tech to show up between 8am – 12pm. The tech showed up at 10:15am and wasn’t able to get the cards paired. He tried to use MultiStream cards in the unit and I told him (as says Tivo’s web site) that you cannot use MultiStream cards in the Tivo Series 3 HD. He called his supervisor and was told they didn’t have anymore Single Stream cards in the warehouse. He left and told me he would be back on Thursday.

12/24/07
I plugged the MultiStream card that the last tech (Hector) left lying on top of my TiVo into slot 1 and called Time Warner. I got a technician to pair the card and send the signal to the TiVo. I got some of the HD channels but not all. Same old problem, can’t get Discovery HD and others. Only one of my two tuners works because the MultiStream is not supported fully in the Series 3. I found out from the tech on the phone that I have an appointment with TW for Friday of this week between 1pm – 5pm for Hector to come back out with new cable cards. I would not have known I had the appointment if the tech had not called me. I never heard any other word out of Hector after his last failed visit.

12/27/07
Technician shows up at 12:00pm. He leaves the single Multistream card in Slot 1. Then he contacts a Time Warner tech on the phone and asks him to send a “hit” to the TiVo. No EMMs arrive because the count is still at zero. Technician goes outside to check the cable signal and changes to a 4-way splitter. Technician is never able to get the 2nd cable card to receive more than 2 EMMs even though card 1 received all 39. Technician makes a trip to get a different cable card to #2. Cable card 2 was paired and received it’s authorization but no EMMs were received. A 2nd technician, Hector, shows up with more cable cards and is surprised to find the other technician there. Obviously, the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing at TW. They were on the phone again but not successful. They left and the 2nd card still does not work.

12/28/07
Time Warner called to see if the EMM count has increased on both my CableCards. It has. However, CC1 and CC2 have different EMM counts.

12/31/07
EMM count on CC1 is 47 and EMM count on CC2 is 4. Called Time Warner phone support. Technician on phone says he cannot send any “hits” to CC2 because it is only “one way” and it appears to him to have a problem. He has scheduled for yet another technician to come out on Friday between 1pm – 5pm. In addition, I asked for the list of Switched Digital Video channels so that I would know which channels I definitely would not receive and he did not have that information. I am suppose to receive a call back in two hours with that information. It is now 12:00pm. At 2:42pm still no word from Time Warner Cable. I never did hear from this person and it is now 1/4/08.

1/4/08
A technician came to the house once again because the EMM count had gone from 51 on CableCard 1 to 10 and to 0 on CableCard 2. The technician was on the phone with various people back at the Time Warner dispatch trying to get EMMs sent to my CableCards once again. No luck. There appears to be this disconnect between dispatch and DNCS at Time Warner. The group they call DNCS are the only ones who have successfully been able to send EMMs to my cable cards. However, for whatever reason, my CableCards won’t retain them.
Many of the technicians who have come to my home have made it clear that Time Warner hates dealing with Cable Cards and if it weren’t for the FCC mandating them, they wouldn’t support them at all.
On 1/3/08 I had a phone message from a Time Warner employee named John from Customer Service wanting to speak to me. I suspect that he had received the complaints I filed with both the City of Austin’s franchise office and the Better Business Bureau. I spent quite long time on the phone with him and told him basically what a fiasco the whole CableCard mess had been, how much time off from work meeting technicians had cost me, and just the general nuisance of trying to watch channels that I’m paying for but can’t get. I told him that I knew when I bought the Tivo Series 3 HD that it would not allow me to do Video on Demand or receive Switched Digital Video but that wasn’t a big deal at the time. However, they do not publish the list of Switched Digital Video channels so it is impossible for me to determine which channels I am supposed to receive and which ones I am not. I reiterated to him that this was unacceptable. He promised to find out what the list of SDV channels were and look into why my EMMs were not stable. He at least said he would credit my account with $100 for all my troubles.

My next move is to file a complaint with the FCC. I am so hopping mad at all of this that I could just s**t.

Last edited by Mike Lang : 01-10-2008 at 11:27 AM.
stevec5375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 AM   #2737
lrhorer

High Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShultes View Post
I have no evidence to support this, but I suspect that you can have just as much problem with too strong a signal as with too weak a one.
As an engineer with 25 years experience in CATV and telecommunications I can tell you high levels will cause a great deal more problems than low levels, especially with digital streams. Most installations should not require an amplifier, and only those who do require them will benefit from them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShultes View Post
I have no equipment to measure strength of signal, so I cannot give you any numbers.
I could give you tons of numbers, but I really don't have all night to be typing at the keyboard. Suffice to say the CATV company is responsible for delivering a useable signal to the eve of your house. Unless you have lots of outlets (I have 9 for example), a very large house (guilty as charged), or are an unusually long way from the subscriber tap (mine could be closer), an amplifier is not necessary. If the signal levels are too low to feed 1 or 2 outlets in an ordinary sized house a reasonable distance from the CATV subscriber tap, then the CATV system is out of balance and the CATV provider needs to fix their system. Many CATV companies will provide a house amplifier for free or for a very modest fee if the house happens to lie outside the normal engineering parameters and consequently suffers from low levels. As it happens my house qualifies on all three counts, so an amp was necessary for my house, but mine is definitely the exception.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #2738
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest User1 View Post
Did any of you have to run the "guided setup" again to start getting those channels? Or did you just start getting them?
I did not have to run guided set up.

The channels are just like any other channels. When they were added I got a notice telling me that there had been a change in the lineup.

Since all I was receiving on those channels was On Demand commercials, I had deselected all of them in the Channels I Receive.

When a friend of mine said they had miraculously appeared, I added them all back so they would show up in my guide.

I double checked the lineup on TW's site and there were no channels that were missed so the channel lineup changes were properly detected by my Tivo. That's my case with my Tivo and TW cincy. As you know, every case can be different.

Go to your cable company's site and check out the latest channel list. If it matches your channel lineup in the Channels I Receive section, then you are ok. Just check all of the channels you want, and deselect the ones you don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #2739
stevec5375

Thanks for posting the Time Warner Austin SDV Channel List. It's been impossible to get this info out of Time Warner.
stevec5375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #2740
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
Thanks for posting the Time Warner Austin SDV Channel List. It's been impossible to get this info out of Time Warner.
You know it's funny. I am in Austin and use analog cable on my S3 and THD. I checked the SDV list of channels and there wasn't a single one that I would miss. Guess I can go digital now without any worries!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 AM   #2741
tfreshman

IF YOU ARE MISSING CHANNELS "RUN GUIDED SETUP AGAIN!!!!!!!" It fixed ALL my missing channels!
tfreshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:54 AM   #2742
rlay

Lost Channels Tonight

Our Motorola box locked up tonight.... I rebooted it, and after a few minutes, it was back to normal.

I headed downstairs to the S3, and quickly found that about 5 HD channels were missing including both ESPN-HDs, and when I tried to tune into one channel specifically, 752-HDT, I get a cablecard message I've never seen before "The CableCARD considers the Host to have only one-way RF capability" on the S3 and "1-way RF Only" on the Motorola box....the only difference is that the Motorola box gets the rest of the channels, the S3 does not. I bet TWC Yuma-El Centro switched to SDV.

I rebooted the S3, and even repeated the guided setup, and the channels are just not there anymore. TWC is closed, so I'll have to call in the morning, but honestly, I think I'm at my wits end.

I've gone back and forth with TIVO and TWC about lineup changes, missing channels, incorrect programming, late repair guys who don't understand Cablecards....I've taken days off work and spent several man days researching/reconfiguring all kinds of things just to get the S3 up and going, only to have something in the system change by Tivo or TWC, both pointing the finger at each other. Last week my S3 remote stopped working (after several battery changes, and a reluctant switch to the Logitech Harmony). At this point I'm at diminishing returns just to get a better UI or a few advanced features (Desktop, Rhapsody....).

If this doesn't get resolved tomorrow, I'm calling DirecTV. My neighbor has been raving about how his service has improved over the past few months. The DVR is not as whiz bang as the Tivo, but it does the job. I just can't spend anymore time losing programming/functionality and calling various ill-equipped support people to get it back.

Sorry for the rant, but I really think some of you out there have felt my pain.
rlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #2743
Midwest User1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfreshman View Post
IF YOU ARE MISSING CHANNELS "RUN GUIDED SETUP AGAIN!!!!!!!" It fixed ALL my missing channels!
Do you have cable cards with digital cable service as well? I ask because when I go into the guided setup menu it says that I only need to run guided setup if I've changed zip codes or have antenna only cable. I noticed in the past 4 days or so that 4 or 5 HD channels that I had lost when switching to the TIVO boxes are now showing up in the guide with the correct guide data. They were never in the guide correctly before. However the channels themselves are not being received as I just see the On demand commercials.
Midwest User1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #2744
rlay

Called TWC the said that it's their issue on the back end and said they would call me back once they have more details. It's been nearly 12 hours since that call and no call back and I'm still missing 5 good HD Channels and two other premium HD channels have had incorrect an program guide for 3 weeks.....so I'm in the process of making arrangements for DirecTV.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #2745
juggler314

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler314 View Post
Amazingly they did show up this morning, of course I'm on vacation...so they came and my gf was there...apparently the install went at least somewhat ok. She tells me we get everything up to about channel 100. The TWCNYC tech said everything was good on their side. Hopefully the next time the tivo updates itself it'll sort it out, if not I'm sure I'lll be on the phone a few hours when I get home next week!

BTW it's just one M-card for my Tivo HD

So everything seems to be fine now, just needed to re-run guided setup for the new cablecard. Basically everything went perfect when the tech finally showed up. I wasn't even here for install and from what my gf tells me she didn't really do anything, inserted, tech did whatever he needed to do, and done.
juggler314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #2746
Marslauncher

Post Deleted Per Request Of Supervisor.

Last edited by Marslauncher : 01-10-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Marslauncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #2747
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marslauncher View Post
I currently work in Tech Support for Time Warner Cable here in Austin, My name is, we shall say Paul, I would be more then happy to provide any assistance to questions and information that I possibly could, I apologize in advance to stevec5375 and to rlay for the customer service they received and to anyone else that received bad service, I want to get to know tivo as a service so that I can better support the product that many of you love. I will check in here every day to update questions and to post information as I come across it.

I truly do want to help and any information you guys (nice information none of that go to hell crap) will be appreciated, I will work with people on an account by account basis or if need be will update on changes to policies or procedures.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Paul,

Thanks for your offer of help, but I think this bird has flown. Anytime there has been the slightest bit of change with TWC (here in El Centro, CA), it has messed up my Tivo system and required multiple calls, service visits and lots of patience on my family's part.

My last bill was for over $200 (plus $13 for the Tivo....$40 for broadband). Even with more programming (85+ HD channels alone vs. the 12 I get from TWC), 2 HD DVRs, the monthly fees for DirecTV after the 3 months free premium channels will be ~$110....and I can get the same speed DSL for $30/month. It just doesn't make economic sense for the frustration I've had with TWC and Tivo. My neighbor has had DirecTV for more than a year and initially had problems with the install because of the lack of local channels, required phone connection, and multiple coax cable routing, but apparently that's all been fixed, and they can use the cable installed in the house and even ethernet for the guide updates.....Over the past year, has gotten more channels and excellent service. I wish I could say the same for TWC.

-Rick

Last edited by rlay : 01-09-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #2748
cab2

Quote:
I currently work in Tech Support for Time Warner Cable here in Austin, My name is, we shall say Paul,
Hi Paul;

Just wanted to say thank you in advance for trying to help those of us in the Austin TX area with respect to TW issues. I'm in Cedar Park and currently, have no issues.

But I wanted to just put something here to say thanks for your efforts. I'm sure you will get all sorts of replies (good and bad) and requests for help. Your just being willing to come on here and identify yourself and offer to help, is a big thing. I'd doubt this is part of your job description, so it shows a level of dedication and CS that TW should be proud of. You and Cableguy help to try to brighten up that dirty star that is TW Austin. Thanks!

and no, I'm not a shill for TW. I just happen to be a customer and right now, problem free. I'm sure their job is a thankless one, so throwing a bone once in a while is a good thing.

Now, if you could manage to find a way to get the prices of things cut in half, that would be awesome.
cab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #2749
TxPres

Quote:
I currently work in Tech Support for Time Warner Cable here in Austin, My name is, we shall say Paul,

Our Troubleshooting normally entails the following, feel free to amend.

Before setting up a Trouble Call (TC) for Cable Cards make sure you have:

* Verified the affected channels are not in the switched channel line up in Austin or Waco.

Paul
Is there a place where the official switched channel lineup is available?
Otherwise, we have no way to check.

I just had my multi-stream card installed yesterday. The install took all of 15 min total with the tech only putting the card in and then calling the numbers in to the office.

My question: I pay for the HD Premium tier. These channels have not shown up yet on my Tivo (they are showing up OK on my SA box which I still have). Are they SCV channels? If so, then I understand why I am not getting them. If they are not, how do I go about getting them?

Thanks for the Help in advance.
TxPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #2750
Marslauncher

Last edited by Marslauncher : 01-10-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #2751
Marslauncher

Last edited by Marslauncher : 01-10-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #2752
cr33p

Hello all, I wanted to see if anyone had any intel on TWC in the north west are of San Antonio, my mother will be purchasing a Tivo HD unit here shortly, she doesnt know jack about cable cards or SDV, so I was hoping someone out there knows some answers

1. Are there M cards available?
2. Is TWC running SDV in that area already?
3. Whats the pricing like? Any addl costs for cable cards?

Thanks
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #2753
Marslauncher

Last edited by Marslauncher : 01-10-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #2754
cr33p

SDV = switched digital video, meaning for example 100 channels but only 10 pipes, a device switches the head end to allow a certain channell to come down the available piope. It allows the cable co. to maximize bandwidth.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #2755
Marslauncher

Ok thats what I thought, but we just call it switched video no acronyms.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #2756
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Hello all, I wanted to see if anyone had any intel on TWC in the north west are of San Antonio, my mother will be purchasing a Tivo HD unit here shortly, she doesnt know jack about cable cards or SDV, so I was hoping someone out there knows some answers

Thanks
I am using TWC-SA.
1. Yes, and I have one. Cool thing was that I was able to self install it without any arm twisting at all.
2. Yes. Nothing life altering is on it yet.
3. I think my card is in the $2 area.
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #2757
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post

Thanks
If you get an M card, the cost is only $2.73/month for the one card. If you get two S-cards (no reason to unless you have a Series 3 like me), the fee is $2.73/card + an "Additional Outlet" fee for the second card, which is around $2. So try and get the M-card if you can...
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #2758
matthewwhite

Time Warner South West Ohio killed my cable cards Monday.

I lost about 1/2 of my digital channels monday and the rest went out by the next day.

I live in a former Adelphia area I suspect there was a change in their system.

I have MOTO cable cards and I think all I need to for them to repair and authorize my account but I can't get them to listen and they say the need a truck roll. The 1st appointment is available next Tuesday.

both cards were reading subscribed but not authorized now 1 is reading unsubscribed and 2 still subscribed but both no authorization.

I think if they'll just send them a hit they'd work but they say that can do nothing but roll a truck.

On the phone they said they were having a cable card problem and the phone support was walking through a help process but it turns out that she could only pair a cable card if it was in their cable box but because it was in another device I'd need a truck roll.
matthewwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #2759
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
If you get an M card, the cost is only $2.73/month for the one card. If you get two S-cards (no reason to unless you have a Series 3 like me), the fee is $2.73/card + an "Additional Outlet" fee for the second card, which is around $2. So try and get the M-card if you can...
Thanks for all the info guys
Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #2760
misc720

After reading this thread for weeks, waffling, then finally buying a Tivo HD, now I too have a nightmare.

I'm in North Hollywood. I think it is TW "East San Fernando". I first called a week ago and they said they were out of stock of cable cards, and I should call back in a few days, and then I could just come pick up the cable cards at a local office.

So I called a few days later, and they told me they were never out of stock, and they had to send out a tech, so we scheduled it.

Tech came this morning, she tried a couple S cards, sat on the phone for a couple hours, wasn't able to get all the channels. Told me she needed to go find an M card. So she leaves for a couple hours. I leave for work and let my roommate deal with it. I get back from work, and roommate tells me that they finally put him on the phone with a person at dispatch, and -get this- dispatch claims they just had a meeting last night where TW decided they are no longer supporting cable cards in Tivo because they have a new HD DVR box themselves (and we can get it for only $12/month, of course). She told him it is simply impossible now to get all the channels (even basic cable channels) through cable cards in a Tivo. I actually have a receipt here with handwriting on it: "you can no longer receive channels through Tivo".

So I called TW tech support tonight, verified they have the correct host ID, and that's about all they will do. He claimed to send an authorization signal while we were on the phone, but nothing happened. On the pairing screen it still says "contact cable company". And on the conditional access screen it shows Val ? and no subscription info. So I have another tech coming out in 9 days now. What a pain.

Any suggestions? It seems like most people are able to fix it themselves on the phone with the cable company.

Thanks for any help.
misc720 is offline   Reply With Quote