TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #1651
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmitche View Post
http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/MetaData

originalAirDate : <value>
time : <value>

Speaking of "recorded date" (time)...

MasterCephus - Any chance of adding an option to your MetaGenerator program for setting the "time" value to the originalAirDate value? I think this would help when sorting by recorded date in the NPL (when transferred to the TiVo).
Thanks

Your origairdate change is a bad idea.

I have shows that have orig air dates of 1964, and earlier. They would always sort low, even though I recorded them this week!!!!!

That is why we need both dates. OrigAirdate - 1964/mm/dd and showing date, for when it was recorded.
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #1652
eb3604
Go Yankees

was using pytivo.py. worked perfectly. then I decided to install it as a service. Followed the instructions, pytivo is running in services. But it isn't working. looked allover google and here. any help?

edit--

got it to work. added the port # as allowable for my firewall. weird how pytivo.py worked though

Last edited by eb3604 : 01-03-2008 at 12:07 AM.
eb3604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #1653
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Simple question.

What version of Python do I want?

Standard Release? x86? Win64-Itanium? Win64-AMD64?

Or one of the Windows Binaries(does not include the source)
(semi computer literate, but no idea what that means)

I'm guessing the standard relase for x86, as my computer is @6 years old running Wink2K.
I think I have an AMD processor though, but again, over 6 years old.

Then, which version of PyTivo? there's 100 different versions to be had.

Is PyTiVo easy to use for the non computer geniuses?
The fact that you need Python, FFmpeg and the PyTivo script leads me to think not so much.

Simple as TiVo Desktop, which won't run on my Win2K computer anyway.

I just want to watch downloaded TV programs on my TV using my TiVo instead of having to watch them on my computer.

Really, I've tried reading through this whole thread and am getting more and more confused the more I read.
Folders, Subfolders, Gits, patches, metadata, installing as a service.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control

Last edited by phox_mulder : 01-02-2008 at 11:24 PM.
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #1654
rjmitche

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Your origairdate change is a bad idea.

I have shows that have orig air dates of 1964, and earlier. They would always sort low, even though I recorded them this week!!!!!

That is why we need both dates. OrigAirdate - 1964/mm/dd and showing date, for when it was recorded.
I agree that having the "recorded date" equal to the "original air date" might not be the perfect solution for every situation... that's why I was requesting that it be an option that could be turned on/off. I guess the real goal is to get the "time" item added to the metadata file (along with "originalAirDate"). It would need to default to some value and originalAirDate is available... I suppose another option would be to have it default to "today".
rjmitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #1655
lrhorer

Versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
Simple question.

What version of Python do I want?

Standard Release? x86? Win64-Itanium? Win64-AMD64?
You said one question. That's five.

Quote:
Or one of the Windows Binaries(does not include the source)
(semi computer literate, but no idea what that means)

I'm guessing the standard relase for x86, as my computer is @6 years old running Wink2K.
I think I have an AMD processor though, but again, over 6 years old.
Yes, standard x86 release.

Quote:
Then, which version of PyTivo? there's 100 different versions to be had.
Well, try a couple. They're easy to install. I suggest not the latest beta unless you like finding and reporting bugs.

Quote:
Is PyTiVo easy to use for the non computer geniuses?
Using it is pretty much trivial. Installing is not difficult. Maintaining it, especially in light of all the development going on might be challenging if you find you want to keep up with all the latest features. Otherwise, not.

Quote:
The fact that you need Python, FFmpeg and the PyTivo script leads me to think not so much.
Once you have it configurfed it's pretty much automatic. How difficult it is to configure depends on just what features you need and how picky you are about them. I've only used pyTiVo for testing and occasional purposes, and my config file is simply this (the server parameters are left as default):

[_tivo_00000DEADBEEF]

[pyTiVo]
type = video
path = z:\Recordings

[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
ffmpeg_prams = -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 44100 -f vob -

Quote:
Folders, Subfolders, Gits, patches, metadata, installing as a service.
Folders allows you to create a separate file for each group of programs you want to lump together on the main NPL screen. In the above config file, there is only one folder defined, named "pyTiVo". For example, you could create folders called "Comedy", "Action Adventure", Westerns", and "Documentary". Each of these would show up in the root of the NPL. Each program in the main folder shows up under it's main title with no reference to any episode listing. 50 episodes of Law and Order would all show up as simply "Law and Order", and the user must drill into the program (hit <Right Arrow> or <Select>) to see which episode.

Sub-folders are just directories you create in the server's file system underneath the source folder. It doesn't require any extra configuration in the config file. So for example, in Windows you can create main directories named as above and then create a directory named Gunsmoke\Westerns with 20 episodes of Gunsmoke in it. When you select "Westerns" from the TiVo menu and you have groups turned on, you will see a folder called "Gunsmoke" as one of the entires in the list. If you then select "Gunsmoke", you will see a list of 20 episode titles, rather than the series name. If you turn off groups in the NPL, then you will still see the main "Westerns" folder, but when you select the folder you will not see any sub-folders, and instead you will see 20 programs all named Gunsmoke.

Apparently there is another way to handle this, but I am unfamiliar with it. Perhaps someone else can give you a brief on it.

Metadata is the information about a recording apart from the actual video. It includes things like actors, directors, ratings, date recorded, plot synopsis, etc. Worry about it later, after you have pyTiVo up and running for a bit and decide you want to customize things. Or not.

Don't worry about Gits or patches until things don't work or quit working.

Installing as a service simply means you won't have to log in to the computer for the programs to be available on your Tivo. If the program runs as a regular application, then you must log in and run the app (it can be in your startup folder to run automatically after logging in) in order for its features to be available. Running it as service means it comes up and is available to the network even though no one is logged in to the computer, or no matter who is logged into the computer. Not being able to run as a service is one of TiVo Desktop's major downfalls, IMO.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:36 AM   #1656
danpritts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Some of us are already doing this by setting the ffmpeg_prams as described here. It works great (for the HD). Much less server CPU for the transcoding and the HD does scaling. But the S2's can't handle this.

tlc
doh. that's a lot simpler than my method - ffmpeg just uses the original file's specs, i presume?
danpritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 AM   #1657
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I suppose I'll just be accused of adding to the "confusion", but I've posted a zip of my latest -- minus the libraries and ffmpeg -- here. If you install the libraries and ffmpeg separately (easy to do in Ubuntu), this is all you need. Otherwise you can unzip it over a fuller version.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:20 AM   #1658
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

New Configurator, List of Settings

OK so it is pretty late and I should get to bed. But I have a new cool toy for everyone. I made a HTML configurator(what a horrible name). Maybe an HTML admin tool?

Since pyTivo is just a http server I built it as a separate plugin. Even though it is a plugin it will not display on your TiVo. But you can load the link from your web browser and tinker with the settings in the pyTivo.conf file. It does not have an ability to do a restart from the webpage yet, if anyone knows how to do this let me know, so you will still have to manually restart pyTivo after you alter the pyTivo.conf file. Also the UI is pretty rough on the eyes, but it is a basic framework I can make it pretty later.

This will work on any version of pyTivo

To install this:
1. Extract the attached zip into your plugins folder
2. Add these 2 lines to your pyTivo.conf
Code:
[Admin]
type = admin
3. Restart pyTivo
4. Go to http://192.168.1.100:9032/TiVoConnec...ontainer=Admin
Please change the IP to match your server.
5. You can now browse and edit your configuration settings from a web browser

I attached 2 screens of what it looks like as well.

Request for help
I would like to better document all the settings and their ideal ranges. At some point i would like to include that info in my above plugin as well. But in the mean time I updated:
http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/ConfigurepyTivo
Can everyone please check out the list of settings I compiled. Add any that are missing. Write some descriptions of what they do. Include some examples. Write some comments about what the ideal settings are. And help me with the format of the end of the page.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and would help future users of pyTivo as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen1.JPG (39.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg screen2.JPG (35.9 KB, 59 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip admin.zip (3.5 KB, 29 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #1659
MasterCephus

Cool!

I built a stupid little thing that I was going to add a plugin to do this! I can't get the service to run on my box for some reason and I hate having that console, so I wrote a little GUI that creates a process in the backend that runs the script. That way I can just minimize it to the task bar with no problems and start, stop, and restart whenever I want.

It works well, the only problem is that I can't get it to output to a textbox...which stinks, but it still does it's basic job

I was going to extend that to allow a user to configure the configuration file, view the debug file, etc...

I guess I don't have to do that anymore

(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #1660
MasterCephus

KRKeegan,

quick thing:

Quote:
Is that IP initially hard coded in? Just wondering because my home server is that IP address so there would be a conflict there. If it's hard coded, could you show me where to change the IP in the code to match my specific machine's IP that runs pyTivo?

Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #1661
MasterCephus

MetaGenerator v1.2.1

Sorry for the multiple posts here, but I keep forgetting things

I have posted a new version of the MetaGenerator here.

Everything is the same except 2 things:

1. When saving videos, I am now just looking for a set of valid video files (.avi, .mpg, .mp4, .vob, .flv) instead of each individually.

2. Exporting Season now allows you to pick each video file individually (look at the top of the save text file screen for the Series name - Episode Title to know which episode you are saving) instead of just dumping them all to a folder with generic names.

Hope you guys enjoy!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #1662
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmitche View Post
I agree that having the "recorded date" equal to the "original air date" might not be the perfect solution for every situation... that's why I was requesting that it be an option that could be turned on/off. I guess the real goal is to get the "time" item added to the metadata file (along with "originalAirDate"). It would need to default to some value and originalAirDate is available... I suppose another option would be to have it default to "today".
If you use metadata, you can set original air date and saved date. That solves the problem.

I looked thru the metadata and my program stores even the channel it was originally recorded on, the record date, original airdate, tv ratings, genres from the original numbers stored in the tivo, etc.

Not hard to do with the metadata files
Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #1663
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpritts View Post
doh. that's a lot simpler than my method - ffmpeg just uses the original file's specs, i presume?
That's my understanding; if you don't tell ffmpeg to scale to a size, it uses the input size.

But I didn't come up with this. I just read the posts and used it.

tlc
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #1664
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Ok, wierd problem.

I converted .TY files to MPG using tytompg.

They play fine in media player on my xp machine. Audio is fine

When they transfer to my TIVO, the sound kind of clicks every 1 second or so. It kind of sounds like a dropout about every second, and again, it plays fine on the computer.

So I am assuming it is ffmpeg problem, since it does the transfer.

I have a tivoHD, the files were from a series 2 machine, not HD, The ffmpeg I have is from the 12/09 pytivo kit.

Anyone have this or fix it with config changes, etc/
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #1665
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Ok, wierd problem.

I converted .TY files to MPG using tytompg.
So I am assuming it is ffmpeg problem, since it does the transfer.
Are you sure? If the mpeg2 is considered TiVo-compatible by pyTivo it is just streamed directly to your TiVo without ffmpeg transcoding.

Maybe the output of tytompg just isn't quite acceptable to the TiVo?

If you are not running pyTivo as a service you can see whether ffmpeg is transcoding in the command window.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #1666
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
KRKeegan,

quick thing:

Is that IP initially hard coded in? Just wondering because my home server is that IP address so there would be a conflict there. If it's hard coded, could you show me where to change the IP in the code to match my specific machine's IP that runs pyTivo?
You don't need to change any code, just the link you are using to access the pyTivo server. The IP address in the link should be changed to whatever IP address your machine has. If you are just doing it on the machine that is running pyTivo, that link could be changed to: http://localhost:9032/TiVoConnec...ontainer=Admin
Old 01-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #1667
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
KRKeegan,

quick thing:

I think this is something you are supposed to enter into your browser as an address to go to, so put in whatever IP will reach your pyTivo.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #1668
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Are you sure? If the mpeg2 is considered TiVo-compatible by pyTivo it is just streamed directly to your TiVo without ffmpeg transcoding.

If you are not running pyTivo as a service you can see whether ffmpeg is transcoding in the command window.

I'll try that tonight. I just dont know where the problem is, and assumed it was ffmpeg since it sounds fine on the computer.

If it is tytompg, anyone have something else to cvt a ty to mpeg that works better?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #1669
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
You said one question. That's five.
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Off I go to try all this.

phox

TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
Old 01-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #1670
cconnell

I have pytivo installed and working. I have 250 files in one directory. No Sub directories. Average file size 5 gig. The files are on an external hardrive. I can access it quickly from my PC. I am running Vista 64 bit.

pyTivo runs fine but the directory listing is painfully slow. 20 to 30 seconds for it to come up and for each page down. Thinking it was pyTivo I installed Galleon. Same problem.

Any thoughts on what could cause the problem? Things to try? Thanks in advance.
cconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #1671
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cconnell View Post
I have pytivo installed and working. I have 250 files in one directory. No Sub directories. Average file size 5 gig. The files are on an external hardrive. I can access it quickly from my PC. I am running Vista 64 bit.

pyTivo runs fine but the directory listing is painfully slow. 20 to 30 seconds for it to come up and for each page down. Thinking it was pyTivo I installed Galleon. Same problem.

Any thoughts on what could cause the problem? Things to try? Thanks in advance.
Did you even read the REPLY to this very question that you asked yesterday ? The files need to be parsed to determine if they're TiVo compatible or not. Churning through 250 large video files takes a while...
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #1672
cconnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Did you even read the REPLY to this very question that you asked yesterday ? The files need to be parsed to determine if they're TiVo compatible or not. Churning through 250 large video files takes a while...
I did reply, and got no further response. At that time I tried galleon. Sorry it is hard to keep track of everything in this one thread.

pyTivo had been running for over 12 hours and it did not speed up. There is only one directory with no sub folders. Just for reference how long is a while? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #1673
MasterCephus

I imagine that if pyTivo must use ffmpeg to "test" every 5GB that you have (which is 250GB), it could take a while....

but defining while could mean a number of things...like what is the speed of your machine...

try this, copy about 5 of those files into a seperate folder and try to see if pyTivo sees it quicker. Then you could take that time and multiple times 50 and you should have a rough estimate....

Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #1674
cconnell

Quote:
I imagine that if pyTivo must use ffmpeg to "test" every 5GB that you have (which is 250GB), it could take a while....

but defining while could mean a number of things...like what is the speed of your machine...

try this, copy about 5 of those files into a seperate folder and try to see if pyTivo sees it quicker. Then you could take that time and multiple times 50 and you should have a rough estimate....
It took less than 5 seconds when I did this. When I went back in it was almost instant. When I have 250 files do I need to page down to the bottom to make sure that it gets cached? If yes can force it to cache with an http call from my browser (at 20 seconds per page of 8 it could take awhile and get old every time I have to reboot.).

Thanks for your replies. Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #1675
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by cconnell View Post
When I have 250 files do I need to page down to the bottom to make sure that it gets cached?
Before you start trying to figure out http calls, why dont you make sure that the result is what you want.

Load one of those large folders and slowly scroll all the way through the files to make sure they have all been read. Then exit the folder and come back. Does the folder load fast now?

Kevin

Old 01-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #1676
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

I can't believe I actually got this to work.

I'm transferring a program as we speak.

432MB AVI and it's taken 3.5 hours to transfer 36 minutes of an hour program to my S3.

I took a quick peek at the show and was quite impressed at the video/audio quality though.

Is it supposed to be this slow, or is my ancient computer the problem.

My CPU usage has been pegged at 100% plus the whole time, making it really hard to do anything else on the computer.

Maybe I need to install everything on my sons computer and see if it goes any quicker, his computer is slightly newer and faster than mine.
His is wireless G to my router though, my computer is ethernet to router along with the S3.

Also looks like I need to do some tweaking to the aspect ratio settings, it looks like I'm bleeding off the edge of my TV.
I used the suggested HDTV settings.

phox

TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
Old 01-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #1677
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

I updated the list of server configuration settings at:
http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/ConfigurepyTivo#Settings

If anyone has any notes to add please do.
Quote:
432MB AVI and it's taken 3.5 hours to transfer 36 minutes of an hour program to my S3. . . . Is it supposed to be this slow, or is my ancient computer the problem. . . . My CPU usage has been pegged at 100% plus the whole time, making it really hard to do anything else on the computer.
If the CPU is at 100% then yeah that is the bottleneck. You can tinker with the bitrate settings which might help. You will get a lower quality video but it will be usable. Or move it to a faster computer. My box can transfer a similar file faster than real time.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #1678
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post

Well, I bought/used VideoRedo QuickstreamFix and it fixed it

Go figure
Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #1679
mr2828

phox, if your computer's interactivity is too slow while doing a transfer you might want to search back in this thread for the trick on how to run pytivo at a lower than normal process priority. I had to resort to this since I want to be able to use one of my laptops while it does transfers. On the downside this will make the transfer take even longer than it is now.
mr2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #1680
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
If somehow you got metadata from that program and files from it, I wrote a quick VB program to turn the meta data into pyTivo NPL metadata. I will distribute the source, since it needs a quick config and I dont wanna build a full vb exe generator install kit.

There is alot more data available in the meta files than is currently in the .txt files.

Does anyone have a list of keywords that PYTIVO allows in the metadata .txt files when showing in the NPL? Or are we using all of them allowed so far?

And can the PYTIVO .txt file take genre's in numbers, not words, like

vProgramGenre : 34

instead of

vProgramGenre : Comedy

Since the Tivo uses multiple genres in a numeric format. BTW, I do have a list of all Tivo Genre numbers if anyone wants it

And is there a way in those metafiles for PYTIVO to show Original Airdate, and this showing airdate? Both is available.
Yes, please! I would love to have the Genre numbers table

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote