TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #31
threshar

Well, I tried this fix, but I don't think this is my problem.

When I tune into say, PBS-HD the signal stays at 100 and SNR is pretty solid at 35-36db and I get no hiccups, pixelation, gray screens.

However, when I tune into say, Showtime-HD the signal strength goes crazy - it jumps from 0-100 and the SNR jumps around accordingly, and I get lots of hiccups.

Now, when this is happening, I can't tune into a channel in the same block - say StarzHD. But tuning into a local-hd channel works fine. signal goes back to sanity.

I tried various levels of attenuation (Luckly my pal had a similar problem and had a bag of them so I just borrowed them) from 24db to 3. nothing helped. a bit of attentuation may have reduced it a bit, but it still was going crazy.

Today for an experiment I'm going to move the tivo downstairs where the, oh lets call it, the virgin line comes in and see if it is the run verizon did from there to my livingroom. Still odd it mainly affects stations such as sho-hd. (I'd wager it has something to do with increased bandwidth usage).

I also get gray screen syndrome on some regular (SD) channels as well, but it is intermitent. (When it tunes in, I just get a gray screen. I'd wager it is very much related to the signal strenth issue).

and for the record, the line goes ont->40' outside->inside->splitter->tv1 and another 30' run to tv2. The tv1 has a -4 vz installed on it. the other has nothing. Verizon ran all the cables.

well, here's to hoping I can solve it. Really annoying when I get gray screen syndrome or none of my movies record or are pixelated.

TivoHD
Humax DVD Tivo
threshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #32
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by threshar View Post
Well, I tried this fix, but I don't think this is my problem.

When I tune into say, PBS-HD the signal stays at 100 and SNR is pretty solid at 35-36db and I get no hiccups, pixelation, gray screens.

However, when I tune into say, Showtime-HD the signal strength goes crazy - it jumps from 0-100 and the SNR jumps around accordingly, and I get lots of hiccups.

Now, when this is happening, I can't tune into a channel in the same block - say StarzHD. But tuning into a local-hd channel works fine. signal goes back to sanity.

I tried various levels of attenuation (Luckly my pal had a similar problem and had a bag of them so I just borrowed them) from 24db to 3. nothing helped. a bit of attentuation may have reduced it a bit, but it still was going crazy.

Today for an experiment I'm going to move the tivo downstairs where the, oh lets call it, the virgin line comes in and see if it is the run verizon did from there to my livingroom. Still odd it mainly affects stations such as sho-hd. (I'd wager it has something to do with increased bandwidth usage).

I also get gray screen syndrome on some regular (SD) channels as well, but it is intermitent. (When it tunes in, I just get a gray screen. I'd wager it is very much related to the signal strenth issue).

and for the record, the line goes ont->40' outside->inside->splitter->tv1 and another 30' run to tv2. The tv1 has a -4 vz installed on it. the other has nothing. Verizon ran all the cables.

well, here's to hoping I can solve it. Really annoying when I get gray screen syndrome or none of my movies record or are pixelated.
Sorry you're having troubles...it can be very frustrating. It may or may not be true in your case, but if you're getting a solid signal on some channels but not on others I'd call Verizon. It may have something to do with your setup or it could be a cable card issue...or it may (probably?) be something outside of your home.

We went through the same thing a while back...some channels were perfect while others were a mess or didn't work at all. When we called the CSR had us tune to various channels and finally isolated which "block" was giving us problems. They did some work on their end (no truck roll or anything) and in about an hour everything was fine. They may have re-hit our cable cards or it mght have been something else.

The CSR explained that channels are delivered within certain frequencies. The frequencies aren't necessarilly related to the channels themselves (i.e. Showtime and Starz may or may not be part of the same group). That's why some will work normally and others won't.

Thanks for keeping us posted and let us know what you find out.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #33
TexasAg

My pixelation was minor at the prior attenuation level, but I went ahead and added more attenuation to my S3. But, the SNR varies from station to station. If I get one down to 32, others will drop to 30. I finally put in enough to get most stations down around 31-33. The weird thing is that it drops the signal strength down into the 70s, but the S3 seems OK with it. I think I might be seeing a little less pixelation now.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #34
rifleman69

I've applied a 12 and a 6 so far, which drops the SR from 36-37 to 34-35. Either of the 12 and 6 reduces all uncorrected errors (and just about all of the corrected one's too) but every now and then I get a blip where the video freezes for about 2-3 seconds and then catches up. Having no attenuators makes both corrected and uncorrected shoot off into the hundreds of thousands very quickly.

Probably put on another 10-12 just to make sure, most of the individual channels strengths are still just under 100 if not at 100.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #35
rifleman69

Now have 12 + 6 + 6 on and the SNR appears to fluctuate between 30 and 32. Couple of non-corrected errors on a non-HD channel (about 30 in the span of a couple of hours). Still noticed a little glitching on FOX HD last night during the football game.

It's getting better but not 100% yet. Signal strength is definitely not an issue.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #36
Chris3G

am i correct in assuming that when you guys have a pixelation problem on a particular channel, it happens regardless of what is on the screen at the time? I've been noticing some macroblocking on my new TV with FIOS and Tivo HD, but it only happens during scenes with heavy motion. Is this inherent to the feed and not what you are all talking about here? My signal strength is locked at 100 and SNR is 36/37, but both RS corrected and uncorrected are always at 0.
Chris3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #37
rifleman69

For me, it doesn't matter what's happening on the particular channel although there is some sort of movement going on (it's not Sunrise Earth)
Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #38
sesmith3

Ahhhh the Mitsu Promise Module... "Promise" as in Mitsubishi promises to lighten your wallet for another $1000 as soon as you decide you can't live without an HD tuner..
sesmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #39
litkaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3G View Post
am i correct in assuming that when you guys have a pixelation problem on a particular channel, it happens regardless of what is on the screen at the time? I've been noticing some macroblocking on my new TV with FIOS and Tivo HD, but it only happens during scenes with heavy motion. Is this inherent to the feed and not what you are all talking about here? My signal strength is locked at 100 and SNR is 36/37, but both RS corrected and uncorrected are always at 0.
If RS Uncorrected is at 0 then that is in the feed. Some of the channels, such as DiscoveryHD, aren't broadcast at quite as high a bitrate as others (such as HDNet).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
litkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #40
SGR215

I have an unusual issue. I'm noticing no pixelation so far however, I do notice at times "RS Uncorrected" will have 100+ when I first switch to a channel. It won't go any higher after it has tuned to the channel and I notice no issues in the feed whatsoever. Is this normal?

The vast majority of the time "RS Uncorrected" stays at 0 along with "RS Corrected".(There are times RS Corrected jumps to 3000 though) My signal hovers between 35-37DB.

Edit: Pixelation has arrived. Attenuators are on the way so hopefully it'll be fixed when they arrive.

Last edited by SGR215 : 01-14-2008 at 07:58 PM.
SGR215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #41
SGR215

Hopefully someone can help me out. I installed a 6db attenuator when I first got them and everything seemed fine. 0 Corrected and 0 uncorrected RS errors. Today I suddenly noticed one of my HD channels was pixelating constantly and sure enough the RS Uncorrected errors was spiking significantly. I installed another 3db attenuator and now I'm not seeing any RS Uncorrected errors however, I'm seeing a lot of RS Corrected errors. For example, in 553 seconds I've had 4900+ RS corrected errors. Should I be concerned about this? I also can't attenuate to SNR 31 exactly. It hovers between 31-34db. If I put any more attenuators on it begins to pixelate bad and go into the mid 20's.
SGR215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #42
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR215 View Post
I also can't attenuate to SNR 31 exactly. It hovers between 31-34db. If I put any more attenuators on it begins to pixelate bad and go into the mid 20's.
My S3 has done really good, and I'm between 31-33db.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #43
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg View Post
My S3 has done really good, and I'm between 31-33db.
That seems to be the sweet spot. I've noticed that when I see issues the signal is usually 35 and above...sometimes up to 37.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #44
rifleman69

I find 32/33 is better overall for all channels than 31. 31 left UHD and Discovery HD Theater at 28/29 which was totally unwatchable. 32/33 leaves everything between 31 and 34 which works just fine for me. It definitely was not exponential as tuning down 1 or 2 put a few channels down 3 or 4. Trial and error.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
kmalone576

I've had FIOS with my S3 since last summer with no problems until past few weeks - severe pixelation on some channels not others that did not occur with the Verizon STB I also have. Tech came out and attenuated my signal which seemed to fix it. But I still have some problems on different channels... funny thing is I noticed in the diagnostics screen that one tuner has no problems on some channels and the other has a lot on the same channel (RS uncorrected skyrockets and severe pixelation). Does this sound like now I have a bad cable card on top of the other problem that I thought was fixed? Not looking forward to have to set up another appt for a new cable card install. Or does anyone think since I had a long period of no problems and nothing seems to have changed on Verizon's end that my S3 might be the problem?
kmalone576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #46
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalone576 View Post
I've had FIOS with my S3 since last summer with no problems until past few weeks - severe pixelation on some channels not others that did not occur with the Verizon STB I also have. Tech came out and attenuated my signal which seemed to fix it. But I still have some problems on different channels... funny thing is I noticed in the diagnostics screen that one tuner has no problems on some channels and the other has a lot on the same channel (RS uncorrected skyrockets and severe pixelation). Does this sound like now I have a bad cable card on top of the other problem that I thought was fixed? Not looking forward to have to set up another appt for a new cable card install. Or does anyone think since I had a long period of no problems and nothing seems to have changed on Verizon's end that my S3 might be the problem?
You may need more attenuation. As far as I know, CableCards do not cause RS Uncorrected errors, which is how TiVo measures the errors causing pixelization and dropouts.

It's best to buy your own $12 attenuator pack from Smarthome rather than asking Verizon to come out. That way, you can find just the right amount of attenuation that you need.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #47
kmalone576

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
You may need more attenuation. As far as I know, CableCards do not cause RS Uncorrected errors, which is how TiVo measures the errors causing pixelization and dropouts.

It's best to buy your own $12 attenuator pack from Smarthome rather than asking Verizon to come out. That way, you can find just the right amount of attenuation that you need.
So its possible that the current level of attenuation is good for one cable card but not the other? In other words for example channel 99 works fine on one cable card/tuner but is horribly pixelated on the other. I have some extra attenuators that the verizon tech left for me to play around with if I had other problems, but I would expect that the signal should affect both cable cards the same, but I could be wrong. Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #48
kmalone576

Well I don't quite understand it, but I changed around the attenuation some more and now channel 99 works on both tuners... the verizon tech had put on an 8 and a 6 resulting in SNR of 27 on the tuner that was having problems with 99 and 29 on the other. I changed it to an 8 and a 3 now one is at 30 the other at 31 and so far so good. Thanks to whoever figured this out - the verizon tech seemed to realize a too hot signal was the problem, but did not about the tivo diagnostics screen.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #49
rifleman69

Yeah, SNR of 27 is way too low. Being higher is better than lower in this case.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #50
AndyMorrison

I have FIOS and am using a Series 3 and two TiVo HDs with S-cards. This morning on the Series 3 the reception of Fox Soccer Channel deteriorated to the point that nothing was being received. On the diagnostic screen it appeared that the TiVo was unable to get a signal lock and the modulation indication kept changing from QAM-256 to QAM-64. After about 25 or 30 minutes, during which I did nothing, the channel finally came in and was mostly watchable after that. Since I was recording the program on one of the TiVo HDs in another room I assumed that when I watched the recording I would see the same problem as the Series 3. However, the recording was perfect with no signal loss or pixellation. Does this sound like a 'too hot' signal or is it more likely a problem with my Series 3? BTW, I've seen pixellation before on the Series 3 but I don't recall ever losing the signal completely.
AndyMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #51
darthplagueis86

Pixelation only on a few certain channels?

I have done the reccomnended fix, putting on 10DB antenuator, whch fixes my pixelation on the majority of my channels. However, there are a few remaining channels that I watch a lot that have major problems still (ABC HD). My SNR is at 31/32, but I have RS correct numbers/RS uncorrected numbers in the 500-5000 range most of the time on that one channel. I have tried resetting my tivo, that didn't work. I have a good strong signal according at the verizon cable guy. Why is this still happening on this certain channel? Any sugesstions?
darthplagueis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #52
rifleman69

Try an 8, remember not every channel comes in at the same SNR.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #53
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthplagueis86 View Post
I have a good strong signal according at the verizon cable guy.
Welcome to the forum and sorry you're having trouble, it can be frustrating indeed. The problem is that your signal may be too strong which is just as bad as one that is too weak. Verizon assumes the stronger the signal the better. That's why an attenuator works for some folks...it reduces or "attenuates" the signal strength.

As rifleman69 suggests, additional experimentation may be in order.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #54
darthplagueis86

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum and sorry you're having trouble, it can be frustrating indeed. The problem is that your signal may be too strong which is just as bad as one that is too weak. Verizon assumes the stronger the signal the better. That's why an attenuator works for some folks...it reduces or "attenuates" the signal strength.

As rifleman69 suggests, additional experimentation may be in order.
I have tried every possible antenoator combo and I seem to still have this problem. I've narrowed it down to the 9/10DB strength level, that brings down my SNR number to 32/33. I still can't get rid of the RS corrected and RS Uncorrected numbers to go away on some channels. Most of the channels are fine, but some, including some major HD channels, like ABC HD, Universal HD, Discovery HD Theater, are still having pixelation problems. My signal stength says it's around 75. Is there anything else I can do to fix this, or I may have to go back to my old verizon cable box, since it wasn't a problem there.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #55
richsadams

Quote:
I have tried every possible antenoator combo and I seem to still have this problem. I've narrowed it down to the 9/10DB strength level, that brings down my SNR number to 32/33. I still can't get rid of the RS corrected and RS Uncorrected numbers to go away on some channels. Most of the channels are fine, but some, including some major HD channels, like ABC HD, Universal HD, Discovery HD Theater, are still having pixelation problems. My signal stength says it's around 75. Is there anything else I can do to fix this, or I may have to go back to my old verizon cable box, since it wasn't a problem there.
It sounds like you've done everything you can do to address the signal issue. I'd have a look at the cable cards next. There have been reports for months of cable cards being faulty (particularly Scientific Atlanta cards) and especially with slot #1. Many have had numerous cable cards installed before they worked without issue. I can't remember if you said which TiVo you have, but if you have the TiVo HD, some folks are switching from two "S" cards to an "M" card and seeing results.

When we moved recently our cable guy brought about a dozen cards with him saying that some work and some don't...and that getting them to work was kind of a Russian roulette game. Fortunately two "S" cards worked right away with our S3 and a new "M" card worked fine with our THD.

Anyway, that would be my next step. It's also quite possible that your TiVo is just not doing what it's supposed to do and may need to be replaced. You might get a case started with TiVo. Sometimes they'll arrange a three-way call with you and Verizon to try to sort things out.

Best of luck!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #56
rifleman69

Quote:
Call TiVo and explain your problem. Another thing to note (at least for me) is that a single 12db attenuator had more signal degradation than a 10 and a 3. My picture was better at 32/33 than 31. You might also have Verizon come out and turn down the signal a bit on the ONT that's on your house.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #57
darthplagueis86

Well, the Verizon cable guy came out today, and he said I should not be using any attenuators at all, that just makes the problem worse. I agree with him, because ever since I started using them, my picture has gotten worse, and even doesn't come in on certain channels, and that's with just 8db on. He boosted the signal strength, which as temporarily solved the pixelation, but we will see how long it lasts. He also changed a splitter and wiring in our hose, and said that may have been the cause. I will monitor the progrees the next few days, and hopefully the problem has been fixed, but after many tries, and 4 different cable appointments, I am not sure it is completely gone.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #58
richsadams

Quote:
Well, the Verizon cable guy came out today, and he said I should not be using any attenuators at all, that just makes the problem worse. I agree with him, because ever since I started using them, my picture has gotten worse, and even doesn't come in on certain channels, and that's with just 8db on. He boosted the signal strength, which as temporarily solved the pixelation, but we will see how long it lasts. He also changed a splitter and wiring in our hose, and said that may have been the cause. I will monitor the progrees the next few days, and hopefully the problem has been fixed, but after many tries, and 4 different cable appointments, I am not sure it is completely gone.
Good to hear things are looking up.

Curious as to what you're seeing for SNR on various channels now that the signal has been increased.

Also noted that a number of folks have resolved problems by replacing coax and/or splitters (or removing splitters altogether) and that others were successful with attenuators. It's obvious that there's no obvious "silver bullet".

Thanks for the feedback and best of luck.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #59
ChickenCheese
with BBQ sauce

I started seeing some pixellation after my install, so I installed a 10 and a 6 attenuator (the SNR was around 35-36). It dropped to about 33 and for the most part, the problems went away. However, I've been noticing that some times the audio part drops out for a second or two (video stays unaffected). When this happens, I go to the diagnostic screen to look, but there wasn't any uncorrected errors.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

The audio dropouts seem to happen when I change to certain channels. And then the dropouts only last about 5 minutes. So if I'm watching a hour long show, I'll only have problems for about the first 5 minutes. Then it's fine.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #60
darthplagueis86

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Good to hear things are looking up.

Curious as to what you're seeing for SNR on various channels now that the signal has been increased.

Also noted that a number of folks have resolved problems by replacing coax and/or splitters (or removing splitters altogether) and that others were successful with attenuators. It's obvious that there's no obvious "silver bullet".

Thanks for the feedback and best of luck.
Well, after 2 days of the problem going away, it is slowly, but surely returning again. My SNR number is at 35/36 on all of my channels, and I have 0 RS corrected numbers and 0 RS uncorrected numbers. I am only getting pixelation on about 3/4 of my HD channels, but after the cable guy came two days ago, it was fine on all channels. I have a feeling that it will progressively get worse again. When the cable guy came, I told him that Tivo said my cable cards are activated, but not paired up, and he said he had no clue what that means. He also said that the attenuators are making my problem worse, and that RS corrected numbers are not causing this either. I am really doubting the knowledge of Tivo and Verizon at this point, because both have been giving me the runaround for weeks. I am at a loss at to what I should do next. I am am considering even returning Tivo, and just going back to the regular verizon HD box. Any last minute advice?