TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #271
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Jeebus. You can read about my experiences above, but in short, ADS is being deployed and none of the digitally simulcast channels would come in.

Brighhouse's answer: You need new M cards, not S cards.

They swapped and the channels come in. Huzzah!

Cut to a week later. The same channels are gone. Their only solution? New cards! I scheduled an appointment for today, stayed home and they of course brought no cards. The tech did come, said it's been a pain for everyone, says that all cable card customers are having this problem and that everytime they add channels to digital simulcast all working cable cards no longer receive the simulcast channels and that it's going to be painful for awhile. In essence, he indicated that every single time they add new simulcast channels the cable cards will drop the channels (not the new channels - all the simulcast channels) and the only fix they know of is to replace the cards every time they add new channels (about bi-weekly timeframe). He tried to push their box on me of course. Oh, and he has no idea what the deployment schedule is or when it will be finished. The attitude was very much why are you making us deal with these silly cable cards. I have had a friendly tech in the past who took blame, but I am going on a month and a half now with this same issue. I know others here have had worse, but I am getting extremely frustrated.

So, given this is pretty much unacceptable, what is the chain of command that I need to spit letters out to so that they might actually have incentive?

Last edited by dig_duggler : 01-02-2008 at 04:32 PM.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #272
bizzy

wow.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #273
TomRaz

Hmm let me see, everything was working correctly until BH made changes on their head end side and now suddenly all the cable cards have some amazing hardware issue.

Stupid thinking like this is typical of BH and it will create a cable card shortage and give them ample opportunities to push their own DVR that of course does not use a cable card.
TomRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #274
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Yeah, it's clearly on there end but they don't appear to be taking responsibility for it. I'm wondering what my most effective course of action might be. I'm wondering if there is anyone I should write before I complain to the FCC....
Old 01-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #275
minboo71

Hi all - So I've been trying to follow this thread and figure out if it applies to my problem with Brighthouse Indiana... but I'm getting lost in the acronyms... sorry!

I have a Series3 HD Tivo with a M-series cablecard (after a 12 hour install and 8 cable cards). But finally it works. Until Brighthouse added new HD channels (CNNHD, HGTVHD, etc), which don't come in. I called BH to complain... they told me that it's because of the way they choose to broadcast the channels. I don't know the technical term for it... but it seems that BH treats these new channels similar to on-demand, that it only will appear when I tune my channel to it. Unfortunately, since two way communication doesn't work on the cablecards, I can't get these channels.

This doesn't seem legal to me. If I'm paying the cable company for HD channels, I should get them all. (Some channels in the regular HD listing work and some don't.) Shouldn't BH be required to send out the cable signal the same way for all channels?

I wish I could punt on BH and go to DirectTV... but I hear that won't work with the three tivo boxes that I currently have. Ugh.

Signed,
Need help in Indiana

Update - Just found this on tivo.com... is this my only option??
http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/pressr...FORHDDVRs.html

Last edited by minboo71 : 01-05-2008 at 06:51 PM.
minboo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #276
lrhorer

Sdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by minboo71 View Post
they told me that it's because of the way they choose to broadcast the channels. I don't know the technical term for it... but it seems that BH treats these new channels similar to on-demand, that it only will appear when I tune my channel to it. Unfortunately, since two way communication doesn't work on the cablecards, I can't get these channels.
Sounds like the new channels are SDV. If so, there's nothing you can do at this time. Browse the SDV threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
This doesn't seem legal to me. If I'm paying the cable company for HD channels, I should get them all.
Don't be ridiculous. Any vendor can charge whatever they want for whatever services they like and package them any way they want. If you don't like the vendor's prices, don't buy from them. If you have a signed contract saying they agree to provide the specific services in question for the amount you are paying them, then their activity is illegal and you can sue them for breech of contract. Unless the contract specifically states they will provide you with all programming of a particular type or they will provide you with all new programming, then they are not in violation of anything by not providing you with new additional services at the old price. If you don't have a contract (most CATV companies don't require one), then they are not required to provide you with anything at any price except those channels mandated as "must carry' by the FCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
(Some channels in the regular HD listing work and some don't.) Shouldn't BH be required to send out the cable signal the same way for all channels?
No. For one thing, it would make any changes and improvements to the system nearly impossible. Indeed, your suggestion would effectively prevent them for ever being able to deliver digital services or HD in the first place.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #277
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by minboo71 View Post
Update - Just found this on tivo.com... is this my only option??
http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/pressr...FORHDDVRs.html
That will certainly help, once it's released. I'll be watching for more coverage on this from CES (hopefully).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:35 AM   #278
TomRaz

Interesting Press Release. This part caught my attention

"The cable industry is working with TiVo to ensure that installation of CableCARDs and the adapter will be easy and seamless for the consumer"

TomRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #279
guitardude5
Tivo Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz View Post
...Stupid thinking like this is typical of BH and it will create a cable card shortage and give them ample opportunities to push their own DVR that of course does not use a cable card...
Actually, that is not true. I had a BH DVR for about a week and a half while waiting for my Tivo to have a cableCARD installed. When I was taking it back to BH, I noticed there was a security tape on the back over the slot where the M card was installed! I was kinda surprised to see they were using M cards all along. I wonder why they aren't having the same issues as Tivo users.
guitardude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #280
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardude5 View Post
Actually, that is not true. I had a BH DVR for about a week and a half while waiting for my Tivo to have a cableCARD installed. When I was taking it back to BH, I noticed there was a security tape on the back over the slot where the M card was installed! I was kinda surprised to see they were using M cards all along. I wonder why they aren't having the same issues as Tivo users.
They are using M cards in SA boxes here too. However, I would guess they have configured and tested their system for one device (the SA boxes) vs standard specifications.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #281
bigdave2004

The 8500 or 8300 HDC boxes use M Cards. I just returned one when they came to install the cards in my TivoHD. Took two visits (on the same day luckily) first time they installed it called and activated it, I only checked a few channels and it seemed to be working. They left, I tested some more and it looked like I wasn't getting all the HD channels. I called asked for someone to troubleshoot it over the phone with me and of course they won't or as they say "all our support is in the field" MEH.... Original contractor comes back, calls in and gets a tech and knows what they are doing and reprovisions it, now it works and I'm happy! YAY! I hated that brighthouse dvr...
bigdave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #282
eabu

Good and Bad News at Brighthouse Orlando, FL

Added HD Channels: Animal Planet HD, TLC HD, Discover Channel HD, Sci HD, National Geographic HD

Bad News: None of the new HD channels work on cablecards
Even Worse News: Food Network HD, AETV HD, History HD, HGTV HD have been removed from the cablecard lineup

Now only TNT HD, TBS HD, ESPN1 HD, ESPN2 HD, and Discovery HDT can be viewed on cablecards.

So devices that are not Brighthouse issued and use cablecards, including Tivo HD devices are SOL. Is this anti-competitive or what?
eabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #283
kochsr

No, i believe it is called switched digital video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabu View Post

Added HD Channels: Animal Planet HD, TLC HD, Discover Channel HD, Sci HD, National Geographic HD

Even Worse News: Food Network HD, AETV HD, History HD, HGTV HD have been removed from the cablecard lineup

Now only TNT HD, TBS HD, ESPN1 HD, ESPN2 HD, and Discovery HDT can be viewed on cablecards.

So devices that are not Brighthouse issued and use cablecards, including Tivo HD devices are SOL. Is this anti-competitive or what?

kochsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #284
bigdave2004

See this thread for more on the switch to SDV
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=383361
bigdave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #285
Al-Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Proposed July 2007 Rule= EVERY BOX deployed by cable compnaies must have cbalecard.
I don't think that is quite right... All boxes bought by cable companies after that time must have cable cards. But all the boxes cable companies have that don't have cable cards are still alright to use...

I've installed a few boxes this past week that did NOT have cable cards in them...

Al-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #286
BH CableCard Usr

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabu View Post

To quote an internal memo from Brighthouse (Dale Gregory) dated Jan 30 ,2008"

"Effective February 1, 2008, four HD channels (HDTV HD, The History Channel HD, Good Network HD, and TBS HD), recently added will no longer be available to our 1,900 customers with CableCARD devices. Programming added in the future* to the channel lineup will also not be available to these customers, including the five HD channels launching on Feb 1st."

* BHN has committed to adding 50 HD channels over the next year.

The letter goes on to say they will offer a free (no monthly fee) digital receiver (does NOT say a DVR) for each BHN CableCARD surrendered.

IMHO, This sucks. I've had the TivoHD working for exactly two weeks and BAM! First opportunity to leave BHN and I'm out. Enough of this heavy handed marketing tactics!
BH CableCard Usr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #287
sgtstadanko

Angry

BHN here in Birmingham, AL told me they had discontinued cable cards. Now this was from a counter person at the outlet so it may or may not be true. I just bought a TivoHD anticipating a HDTV purchase and this sucks. Especially with the SDV issue...gods know if or when BH will roll out the USB dongle to allow tivo users get all the HD content or how much it will cost it they do.

kind of wishing tivo had included component or HDMI input and a IR blaster like the series 2...sigh. I feel screwed here.
sgtstadanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #288
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstadanko View Post
BHN here in Birmingham, AL told me they had discontinued cable cards. Now this was from a counter person at the outlet so it may or may not be true. I just bought a TivoHD anticipating a HDTV purchase and this sucks. Especially with the SDV issue...gods know if or when BH will roll out the USB dongle to allow tivo users get all the HD content or how much it will cost it they do.

kind of wishing tivo had included component or HDMI input and a IR blaster like the series 2...sigh. I feel screwed here.
Check my reply to your email. They definitely have not discontinued cable cards. Low level support here kind of sucks and they don't really know what they are doing. BHN in Bham is supposedly (according to a manager I talked to recently) not rolling out SDV for awhile.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #289
sgtstadanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler View Post
Check my reply to your email. They definitely have not discontinued cable cards. Low level support here kind of sucks and they don't really know what they are doing. BHN in Bham is supposedly (according to a manager I talked to recently) not rolling out SDV for awhile.
well i got a call from a customer rep based off an email i sent in earlier in the week. She was very helpful and friendly and scheduled an install for this Sat (today). I got call at 8:00am <jeez> from the HQ and waited on hold for 30 minutes because I missed it and had to call back. The support peron didnt know what was up or why i was calling so fingers crossed they havent screwed something up....
Old 03-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #290
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

FYI, they might not be giving us 663 and 665 (TBSHD and HistoryHD). I've been fighting with general support on this who insist I need a truckroll even though the Tivo shows that the channel is not on the channel map. I have a call into a manager and will call back the direct line cs person next week. Please let me know if you receive these channels or not.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #291
sgtstadanko

no problem. i will if they show up. i was supposed to get a call 30 min before truck roll, if thats what the 8am call was for (nobody at HQ knows) then he is seriously late. If my past experiences with our local BH prove anything...something or somebody has screwed something up or forgotten and I will have to start this whole procedure over again.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #292
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

you are so right.

If it makes you feel any better, I have been using my S3 for over a year without many problems (except that two month ads thing that was painful). It will help to have at least one other person in the area to ask if you are getting X. Rocking this solo was been sometimes aggravating.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #293
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

I asked this in another thread, but if you are getting the error:

Current Tuning Status: Not Tuned: Wrong Card State

for a newly added HD channel everything I've read here says it is not on the channel map. Is there any reason to agree to a truckroll from the company (they keep insisting this is the only way - I keep insisting it is on the head end and won't agree to it)?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #294
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Is anyone in a Brighthouse market that has recently added hd channels that you can tune? I'm pretty sure that they are not giving cablecard customers new channels in my market, but can't find anyone competent enough to even understand the question.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #295
windracer
joined the 10k club

In Tampa/St. Pete, I can still tune the newest HD channels on the S-Cards in my S3 and THD: Animal Planet, HGTV, Science, Food Network, etc.

|
Old 03-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #296
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
In Tampa/St. Pete, I can still tune the newest HD channels on the S-Cards in my S3 and THD: Animal Planet, HGTV, Science, Food Network, etc.
Ah ho. Looking at your posts, you seem to have had a similar issue as I am (channel map). Mine could be intentional even though they claim it isn't. So it was just magically fixed on the head end? I don't want to have to have several truck rolls just to convince them that it is on the head end, but that seems to be what your market had to do....

How much not on the head end assurance did you get before they realized it was on the head end?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #297
windracer
joined the 10k club

As I recall (re-reading my own posts) I only spent 90 minutes on the phone originally, and it was kinda for a different issues (I got the new HD channels fine, I had lost analog channels instead). I put off scheduling the truck roll and then the problem magically fixed itself a few days later.

|
Old 03-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #298
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Thanks. The underlying issue is the same (channel map) but the affected tier is different (and the rationale for it may be different).
Old 03-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #299
windracer
joined the 10k club

Right, and I think it was also more related to the fact that BHN here was shuffling a lot of the analog channels around. So, no problems here with the new HD ones ... for now.

|
Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #300
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

I talked to a technical manager with Brighthouse in Birmingham, AL. He says they have gone SDV and wouldn't take away channels from us for no reason. He indicated future channels will go SDV and that we might lose more channels as they eventually want to go all SDV (but he had absolutely no time frame on that). He's aware of the tuning resolver and says whenever they can get that in they'd love to come test it out on my device. Nice guy. All of the upper tier managers have been extremely nice and informative but unfortunately ... SDV. I could lose a bunch of channels in no time.