TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #451
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I believe you are right. Everything has worked fine for the past 6 months, ablsolutely no pixelation. This past Saturday afternoon we had the most rain we've had in about a year. I recorded something that morning that was fine and something that night that had pixelation. I've already removed some splitters from downstairs so they cant try to blame signal loss on that. I'm trying to prepare myself for any other excuse they try to give me.
Yep, weather can really mess things up...ask anyone with a satellite dish.

It's not unusual for weather disturbances (as well as sun spots) to cause signal problems, particularly HD, for the broadcasters as well. The local cableco and network feeds arrive over satellite as well so they are subject to problems. Admittedly they have much bigger/better dishes and processors, but mother nature can be nasty sometimes.

Good luck and let us know what happens!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:14 AM   #452
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Ok, I figured I'd go ahead and post an update. Charter came out yesterday afternoon. From what the tech could tell he said it could either be an amplifier with too much strain or a leakage in the line. The problem is more prominent at night when there are more people using the lines, luckily I had recorded a show on my Tivo that had massive pixelation so I could show him. He is going to open a case with maintenance and see if they can come out and find the problem. Guess I just have to put up with it a little longer.

Last edited by brettatk : 12-20-2007 at 07:02 AM.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:47 AM   #453
madoverlord

I have a happy holiday update to my situation. My Xmas present this year was to replace my Runco 933 (old-school, superb HD CRT projector) with a JVC DLA-HD1 projector and a bigger screen (and which uses the HDMI output instead of the component outputs of the Series 3).

After a few days, I noticed that the pixelation issues were about the same, not super-horrible, but not acceptable either. But then, when I was recording a program that was getting hits every 5-10 minutes or so, as I was looking through the diagnostic pages, I noticed that one tuner was reporting 35db of signal (Tivo signal strength 95), the other only 29 (strength 60), and the 29db tuner was the one getting lots of corrected and uncorrected errors, and the tuner being used to record the program getting hits; the other tuner was getting 0 errors across the board.

When the program finished recording, I went looking at the connections, and noticed something. Between the cable from the wall and the TiVo I still had a small isolator installed (which I needed with the Runco because otherwise a hum bar would propagate through the TiVo to the Runco), but since the new signal path was all digital, I figured it wasn't needed anymore.

I took it out and the 29db signal immediately jumped to 35, and since then, I only see digital hits a few times a week. Apparently the isolator was acting as a notch filter at some frequencies, so it only affected certain channels (like the higher up HD channels), or it was introducing distortion or something. It might also be a combination of that and a particular cablecard -- I do seem to see more corrected errors on one card than the other (just randomly checking the diagnostic page from time to time).

Best,R

PS: JVC has really hit the high-performance projector price/performance sweet-spot with the DLA-HD1. It's small, quiet, very bright, 1080p, has an excellent scaler/deinterlacer, has a huge contrast ratio (without an iris), and easy to set up (all you have to do is get it mounted so that the lens axis is perpendicular to the screen, then there are simple optical (not digital) adjustments (non-distorting!) to shift the image horizontally, vertically, focus, and zoom). To get a perceptually better picture, I think you'd have to pay 2x-3x the price. I love it -- it's even gotten me watching the stupid HD travel programs just because it looks so nice.
madoverlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #454
net114
Tivolitic Guru

An update: so far so good after changing out my TivoHD. It appears so far that I have crystal clear picture. It looks like it may have been that one of my tuners was bad afterall.
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #455
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I'd like to give a big to Charter. I got home yesterday afternoon and noticed my pixelation was gone completely. My hopes werent real high because nighttime has been the real problem. Well I was happy to see that I did not have any pixelation through the entire night. My wife said she had noticed a Charter truck on the street yesterday morning. So it only took them one day to get out there and correct my problem. I saw atleast one temporary line ran so I'm guessing they found the problem. My signal strength is back to 100 and all is well. If anyone is having signal problems I strongly suggest you get your Cable provider out there to test the line.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #456
srcohen

I also have had a happy ending to my pixelation problem. Seems I had a 5-way cable splitter, but was only using 3 lines. Changed to a 3-way and picture improved dramatically, from 60s to 85-90 on the pixelated channels!

I wonder: Is the cable card more sensitive to signal strength?
srcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #457
sgcrockett1

Pixilation problem on certain channels

I have 2 Series 3 Hddvrs. One has just developed pixilation problems (usually on frequencies around cnn). I switched inputs from 1 cable card to the other. It did not help. I called TIVO customer support and they had me remove the cards and reconfigure to just get basic cable. I did not have pixilation problems (at least for the 30 minutes of the experiment). I then replaced the cards, reconfigured, and immediately had the same problem. Tivo customer support told me it must be the cable cards (Motorola S Cards). I am suspicious because both cards probably would not go out at the same time after working for two months. Any suggestions?
sgcrockett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #458
ilh

I just picked up a TiVo HD. When I disconnected the QIP6416 that Verizon installed (hate it), I noticed they had put a 3dB attenuator on the coax even after a 2-way and a 3-way splitter. I guess their signal was too strong even for their own Motorola box.

I've got the smarthome.com attenuator pack on the way for when I get my CableCards from Verizon.

Thanks for the tips in this thread.

--Lee
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #459
ckgoodwin
Remember

Hey All,

I am a long time DirecTivo user and just helped my Dad switch from DTV to cable and install a new Tivo HD with Comcast cable card and running the 9.2 software.

The unit is mostly working great but he is having pretty regular pixelation issues - which is frustrating him.

I checked the info screen and it seems like his cable signal is pretty low - low 60s on most channels with some dropping into the high 50s. The S/N ratio seemed to be in the low 30s.

Do those figures sound low for Comcast? This is a new cable install so I am trying to determine if he needs to have Comcast come out to deliver a better signal to the TiVo before we start troubleshooting other issues.

Any other suggestions?

- Chris
Sony SATT60 | 3.1.1 | Expanded - 174 hrs (Retired)

Last edited by ckgoodwin : 01-01-2008 at 01:50 PM.
ckgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #460
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgoodwin View Post
Hey All,

I am a long time DirecTivo user and just helped my Dad switch from DTV to cable and install a new Tivo HD with Comcast cable card and running the 9.2 software.

The unit is mostly working great but he is having pretty regular pixelation issues - which is frustrating him.

I checked the info screen and it seems like his cable signal is pretty low - low 60s on most channels with some dropping into the high 50s. The S/N ratio seemed to be in the low 30s.

Do those figures sound low for Comcast? This is a new cable install so I am trying to determine if he needs to have Comcast come out to deliver a better signal to the TiVo before we start troubleshooting other issues.

Any other suggestions?

- Chris
Those numbers are low for cable. I would expect Signal Strength in the 90's to 80's and SNR between 33 and 35db. I assume you are seeing RS Uncorrected values incrementing at a fairly high rate. This would correlate with your pixelation experience.

What is your cabling scheme from where the Comcast feed enters the house until it hits the TiVo? Splitters? How many? Where?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #461
ckgoodwin
Remember

Thanks for the reply. I will have to check on the cabling scheme. My dad's house is actually about 3000 miles away on the east coast, but I am sure there is at least one splitter, since I know he's feeding at least 4 locations (and one is very long run out to a detached garage).

We had not checked the RS errors yet - I will ask him to do that next. What error rates are acceptable?

- Chris
Old 01-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #462
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I will have to check on the cabling scheme. My dad's house is actually about 3000 miles away on the east coast, but I am sure there is at least one splitter, since I know he's feeding at least 4 locations (and one is very long run out to a detached garage).

We had not checked the RS errors yet - I will ask him to do that next. What error rates are acceptable?

- Chris
RS Uncorrected should be a very low rate.... they come in bursts though. I would expect none over an hour or so.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #463
ckgoodwin
Remember

Ok, I checked back with my Dad and he's currently seeing zero RS errors - even on channels with signal strength 50 and SNR of 30.

He also clarified that although he has seen some pixelation/macro-blocking, his most recent issue was a blank screen (with sound) when tuning into the Cotton bowl today. Following the blank screen on that channel - he lost video on all channels and finally had to reboot.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

- Chris
Old 01-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #464
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Ok, I checked back with my Dad and he's currently seeing zero RS errors - even on channels with signal strength 50 and SNR of 30.

He also clarified that although he has seen some pixelation/macro-blocking, his most recent issue was a blank screen (with sound) when tuning into the Cotton bowl today. Following the blank screen on that channel - he lost video on all channels and finally had to reboot.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

- Chris
There are several threads on 'black screen'. I believe Pony even confirmed that a fix is being worked (IIRC).

Signal and SNR is low.... I would get the cableco to check it out. If you split the incoming cable too many times you will perhaps need a distribution amp where the cable comes into the building. Splitters are bad mojo and should be avoided in favor of homerunning to a central distribution point.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #465
richsadams

Quote:
Hey All,

Any other suggestions?

- Chris
You're right on the money...the cable signal is far too low. It should be in the 90+ range. Our Comcast signal runs between 95 and 100 on all channels on our Series3 and TiVo HD.

TiVo is very sensitive to signal strength. If the coax cable is new/good quality (with good connectors) and there are no splitters or attenuators between the cable connection at the wall and your dad's TiVo, Comcast needs to pay a visit. If the coax is questionable try replacing it. If there is anything in between (splitter, amp, etc.) try removing it to see how it affects the signal. If everything looks okay have Comcast roll a truck to check things out and have them bring a couple of new cable cards just in case.

When the Comcast tech arrives you'll need to be sure that they don't cause problems by making the signal too hot either as it can cause macroblocking (pixelation) as well.

IIRC the recommend signal strength should be -10 to +10 dBmV (as measured with their diagnostic equipment) with a SNR of 31-32. The tech should be putting a device on the line at the TiVo connection point to measure the signal.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #466
bcwaller

I just ordered a selection of attenuators and terminators. I may have one or two open ports somewhere, and at 45 cents each I figured I'd buy 5 in case I lose a few. I'll update when they arrive to see if this fixes my intermittent pixelation issue.
bcwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #467
esb1981

Hello all, thanks for all the great insight in this thread.

Does anyone know why I might have pixelation on just two channels that are coming in at frequencies of 645mhz and 661mhz? I had a hot signal from Cox, and attenuated it down 7.5 db with a 3-way split and 6 db with an attenuator. This noticeably helped, but did not clear up the problem completely. Cox measured it yesterday at +3db at "channel 2" and -6db at "higher" frequencies. The Cox tech told me I should take out my -6db attenuator and replace with a -3db, but that made it worse.

The Tivo Diagnostics shows channels with frequencies up around 800 to have signal strength of about 68% and SNR in the low-30's, and I haven't seen any RS Uncorrected errors. The lower frequency channels in the 500's show signal strength of 87% to 93%, SNR in the mid-30's, and no problems. But 645 and 661 are still giving me occasional pixelation and spiking RS Uncorrected errors, though not as often before I started attenuating.

I'm really baffled. I fear that if I attenuate the signal further then the high-frequency channels will start to have problems since I am already at a pretty low signal strength there. Why would this happen at 645 and 661? Any thoughts are appreciated...
esb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #468
agoldberg

Problems with some channels

I am having problems with only certain channels. The HD channels are fine, but some of the digital get pixel hiccups.

Some of the channels that I see problems with are:

Food Network, Signal strength-54, SNR-28dB, RS Uncorrected-0, RS Corrected-2422
Nick, Signal strength-77, SNR-32dB, RS Uncorrected-0, RS Corrected-0
Disney, Signal strength-72, SNR-32dB, RS Uncorrected-0, RS Corrected-34

I have the Cox cabling going to a distribution panel in my bedroom closet. The feed goes into a SV4G Splitter, labeled 5/1000MHz. The splitter has 1-input and 4-outputs. The main feed goes into a port labeled 7dB, not IN. I switched the feed to the IN port and lost my connection on the cable modem. When I put the feed back on the 7dB, the modem connection came back.

Are there any suggestion on what I can do to help with the signal strength? Cox wants to charge me if they don't find anything wrong, so I want to try what I can before calling them. Any suggestions would be appreciated...
agoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #469
esb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoldberg View Post
Some of the channels that I see problems with are:

Food Network, Signal strength-54, SNR-28dB, RS Uncorrected-0, RS Corrected-2422
You may have the opposite problem as I do - with the 4-way split and no amplifier your signal might be too weak. SNR of 28db is pretty low. When I have pixelation problems my RS Uncorrected errors spike, so I'm not sure why yours are at 0. I wouldn't put much faith in Cox -- they've been out 3 times to my place and can't fix the problem.

Last edited by esb1981 : 01-10-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Deleted what was probably the wrong advice
Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #470
esb1981

Anyone have any thoughts on my pixellation issues? It's happening on both tuners/cablecards, happening with an attenuated signal and a boosted signal, Cox can't figure it out, and Tivo says it's Cox's fault.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #471
agoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1981 View Post
When I have pixelation problems my RS Uncorrected errors spike, so I'm not sure why yours are at 0.
The reason that the uncorrected is 0, is because I had just changed the channel before looking at the diagnostic data.
agoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #472
tivoROCKSme

Just posting to share the excitement of the arrival of my new TivoHD yesterday. I have it hooked up OTA but cable guy is coming Friday.
Thanks to RichAdams for the post with IIRC signal strength and SNR specs. I'll be asking the tech to test to hopefully identify issues before he leaves.

I was only able to watch an hour or so last night, and did notice a few video frame drop outs on the THD, but I'm not getting too concerned about it yet.

I'm still reading feverishly trying to decide the future of this THD. My first task is to add my 1TB HD, but to hack or not to hack is the real question.

So, I see that I can move recorded programs to my pc using TivoDesktop. Does that mean I can move them back to the Tivo later? Is it "moving" the files to the pc or just "copying" the files? Obviously I haven't actually used the software yet.

Finally, why doesn't Tivo offer TWP or their flavor of it? Or do they and I'm just missing it?
Sorry for the newbie type questions. It's my first SA and I'm like a kid in a candy store.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #473
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoROCKSme View Post
Just posting to share the excitement of the arrival of my new TivoHD yesterday. I have it hooked up OTA but cable guy is coming Friday.
Thanks to RichAdams for the post with IIRC signal strength and SNR specs. I'll be asking the tech to test to hopefully identify issues before he leaves.

I was only able to watch an hour or so last night, and did notice a few video frame drop outs on the THD, but I'm not getting too concerned about it yet.

I'm still reading feverishly trying to decide the future of this THD. My first task is to add my 1TB HD, but to hack or not to hack is the real question.

So, I see that I can move recorded programs to my pc using TivoDesktop. Does that mean I can move them back to the Tivo later? Is it "moving" the files to the pc or just "copying" the files? Obviously I haven't actually used the software yet.

Finally, why doesn't Tivo offer TWP or their flavor of it? Or do they and I'm just missing it?
Sorry for the newbie type questions. It's my first SA and I'm like a kid in a candy store.
Congrats on your new TiVo!

If you connected your antenna directly to your TV you'd see a glitch now and then w/HD broadcasts...that's the nature of the beast.

If your comfortable with removing TiVo's hard drive and connecting it to your computer, you shouldn't have any problem upgrading using WinMFS. You can save the original drive as a backup (or in case you need to pop it back in for warranty service).

Yes, TiVo Desktop will allow you to transfer (copy) recordings from TiVo to your PC and back again. With TiVo Desktop Plus you can convert them for other uses as well. You can also edit them and burn them to DVDís using a program like Video ReDo TV Suite (works great by the way ).

Not sure what TWA is.

Enjoy!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #474
tivoROCKSme

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If you connected your antenna directly to your TV you'd see a glitch now and then w/HD broadcasts...that's the nature of the beast.

If your comfortable with removing TiVo's hard drive and connecting it to your computer, you shouldn't have any problem upgrading using WinMFS. You can save the original drive as a backup (or in case you need to pop it back in for warranty service).

Yes, TiVo Desktop will allow you to transfer (copy) recordings from TiVo to your PC and back again. With TiVo Desktop Plus you can convert them for other uses as well. You can also edit them and burn them to DVDís using a program like Video ReDo TV Suite (works great by the way ).

Not sure what TWA is.

Enjoy!
Thanks Rich,
Sorry, I meant TWP or TivoWebPlus. Is there any stock item like that available.
Also, thanks much for letting me know about transfer and even burning!! What about movies? Surely they're not going to let me copy and burn a movie are they?

I'm definintely comfortable and plan to use the WinMFS method. I'm debating the whole PROM mod thingy. I enjoy hacking and all, but not sure if it's worth it with all the built in tools, especially if you tell me I can burn my movies!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #475
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoROCKSme View Post
Thanks Rich,
Sorry, I meant TWP or TivoWebPlus. Is there any stock item like that available.
Also, thanks much for letting me know about transfer and even burning!! What about movies? Surely they're not going to let me copy and burn a movie are they?

I'm definintely comfortable and plan to use the WinMFS method. I'm debating the whole PROM mod thingy. I enjoy hacking and all, but not sure if it's worth it with all the built in tools, especially if you tell me I can burn my movies!
Being able to transfer and/or burn any recording depends on your local network or cableco which in turn is at the mercy of the property owners (studios, etc.). Some have no restrictions, others allow one copy to be made and others wonít allow you to transfer the recording at all. For instance, here's a screen shot showing a movie my wife recorded which is copy protected and cannot be transferred.

(Pity what else we have to watch because the studios won't give the writers their few cents. At least "Corner Gas" is pretty funny. )

Long answer longer, yes, there are many programs including movies which you can transfer and burn. The bottom line is that the quality won't be as good as the original due to transcoding by TiVo Desktop, etc. Nothing will equal the original HD or of course a DVD, but for keeping some of your favorites, the quality is really quite good.

Guess I'm not keeping up because I'm not sure what PROM Mod means or what "TiVo Web Plus" might be or do.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #476
lrhorer

Oh my God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Ok, I figured I'd go ahead and post an update. Charter came out yesterday afternoon. From what the tech could tell he said it could either be an amplifier with too much strain or a leakage in the line. The problem is more prominent at night when there are more people using the lines, luckily I had recorded a show on my Tivo that had massive pixelation so I could show him. He is going to open a case with maintenance and see if they can come out and find the problem. Guess I just have to put up with it a little longer.
What a massive load of horse pookey! CATV amplifiers aren't under any "strain". The number of people watching is totally irrelevant to the quality of the signal. The load on the amplifier output is always dead on 75 ohms.

A "leak" (properly known as ingress) can sometimes cause problems, and it's even within the realm of possibility temperature changes - which of course tend to track the day / night timeline - could cause a mechanical defect in the cable to grow and shrink in effective aperture, but almost all CATV systems put their digital signals up above 450MHz, and there aren't many other high powered broadcast services in that band to muck up the digital streams. If it did, you would see the effect on a very specific set of channels of no more than perhaps 12 SD channels or else perhaps 2 HD channels and 1 SD channel. In the event, occasional pixelization is unlikely. It's much more likely the channels would be totally trashed. You would also almost surely see interference (probably beats or ghosts) on whatever analog channels are the same frequency as your local broadcast channels. The local off-air channels are generally considered "impaired", and most CATV providers do not put the local broadcast channels on the same channel on cable. Thus, my local broadcast channels are 4 (NBC), 5 (CBS), 9 (PBS), 12 (ABC), UHF 29 (FOX). and UHF 35 (FOX). Of these, only channel 29 (561.25MHz) and 35 (597.25MHz) are in the band used for digital programming. My local CATV provider (TWC) puts CW TV on 4, CBS on 5 (the local CBS affiliate, KENS quite foolishly demanded TWC put them on the same channel as their off-air broadcast. TWC made them sign a contract in writing to the effect they would never change their mind and moved them from 6 to 5 as requested. Four hours later, the KENS station manager was calling TWC totally enraged, demanding they put him back. TWC's local GM just laughed and hung up on the station manager. They remain on channel 5, and are still sorry for it, more than 10 years later), Azteca America on 9, and TBS on 12. There's also an impaired region affecting channel 19, which is Telefutura. A crack in the cable will produce beats on these channels, usually either herringbone or venetian blind.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #477
lrhorer

Quote:
You might want to try picking up a high-quality 2-way signal amplifier, though I can't personally recommend any brands or where to get one. You might want to try smarthome.com. Good luck.
No, he doesn't want to do this. Unless he has multiple outlets (more than 4), or has particularly long house drops (read that: a very big house), the CATV provider is responsible for delivering a high quality signal to the back of his tuner, in this case a TiVo. If the signals are low, it's the CATV provider's problem, not his, and adding a house amplifier is never the solution unless the aforementioned caveats apply. Even in that case, many CATV providers will supply an amplifier free of charge. They did for me, because I have 9 outlets, a large house, and it's a good little way from the eve of my house to the subscriber tap on the pole.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #478
lrhorer

Off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Guess I'm not keeping up because I'm not sure what PROM Mod means or what "TiVo Web Plus" might be or do.
PROM mods are at best marginally on topic on this web site and definitely off-topic on the Series 3 forum. TWP is a truly fabulous 3rd party utility which allows tremendous control of the TiVo, but requires the Tivo to be hacked. Both are better topics for a different website than this.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #479
lrhorer

Quote:
I have the Cox cabling going to a distribution panel in my bedroom closet. The feed goes into a SV4G Splitter, labeled 5/1000MHz. The splitter has 1-input and 4-outputs. The main feed goes into a port labeled 7dB, not IN.
This is incorrect. The input must be on the IN port.

Quote:
I switched the feed to the IN port and lost my connection on the cable modem. When I put the feed back on the 7dB, the modem connection came back.
On which port is the Cable Modem? At a guess, I would say the levels to your Cable Modem are too high. Ordinarily most CATV systems run their DOCSIS carriers at such a level that a DC9 or DC12 directional coupler is inserted into the line in order to feed the Modem. A DC9 has a tap loss of 9 dB and a through loss of just under 1dB. A DC12 has a tap loss 12 dB and a through loss of just under 1/3 dB. If the Cable Modem and the input cable are both plugged in to OUT ports on the splitter, then this is almost certainly the case. Port - port isolation on most 4-way splitters is usually better than 20dB.

Quote:
Are there any suggestion on what I can do to help with the signal strength? Cox wants to charge me if they don't find anything wrong, so I want to try what I can before calling them. Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Well, first of all, this is just a splitter, right, not a 4-way amplifier? Assuming so, first the plug the cable input into the IN port of the splitter. Then take a regular old TV set and plug it into each of the four outputs in turn. Check several of the lowest channels and several of the highest channels your set will receive. (Note: channels 7 - 21 are not high channels. They are in the mid-band, between channels 6 and 7 in frequency.) The picture quality should look precisely the same on all four outputs. If not, replace the splitter. Next, plug everything back into the splitter, including the CableModem. If everything else works, but it does not, try swapping ports with another device one at a time until you have tried the Cable Modem on all four ports. It's possible the 5 - 45 MHz region could be bad on one or more likely two of the ports. This would cause the Cable Modem to fail, but wouldn't impact pictures. If it still doesn't work, try obtaining an attenuator of about 5 dB and putting it in-line with the CabeModem. You can rig a makeshift attenuator by taking another 4-way splitter and terminating 3 of the output ports.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #480
lrhorer

Ingress

Quote:
I'm really baffled. I fear that if I attenuate the signal further then the high-frequency channels will start to have problems since I am already at a pretty low signal strength there. Why would this happen at 645 and 661? Any thoughts are appreciated...
There could be a lot of reasons, but since the problem is very specific to those two streams, it might well indeed be ingress. Check to make sure all of your connections are tight. They should be tightened snugly with a small wrench, not with the fingers. Don't over-tighten, though! Make sure all the cables are tightly crimped. You should be able to supply a very hefty pull to the connector with your fingers without it coming off the end of the cable. Take note of the channel assignments of whatever local VHF Broadcast stations are in your area and look closely at those same channels on your TV without an STB or DVR. Are there beats in the picture? (Note, I don't mean look at ABC, CBS, NBC, etc on your TV. I mean if ABC broadcasts on channel 7 in your area, then look at channel 7 on your TV, irrespective of what station is being broadcast on channel 7 on your CATV system.)