TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #1591
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

sweet

ok cool, I will update the subfolders hack then. I am new to this whole git thing too. Hopefully I still have write access to this.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #1592
wgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
wgw, could you zip that up and upload it to mediafire or PM me and I will post it on mediafire?

There are a lot of people who dont'/won't use git to get a working copy...while that's good for development, it's not really good for software distribution (IMO of course) for people who are not developers....
git is not required. Click on the "Snapshot" link next to the line that says "SD/HD Tivo Audio/Video/Codec compatibility". This will give you a .tar file which you can extract with WinRar, 7-Zip, or probably just about any file archiver. The .tar file contains the full package. Install it the same as an official release.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #1593
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan View Post
Cool, I have a patch that will fix this, but I need to figure out what armooo did with the subfolders svn. I dont see it in git either.

TreborPugly Can you also tell me if you are getting any other reboots when you do anything else? And if you get any just random reboots that you can't figure out what caused them?

Kevin
I can only get obviously pyTivo related reboots if I get into the description of a recording. Just browsing folders, without ever selecting a file doesn't seem to cause it, even with a few sublevels of folders. Once I select a recording, if I back out, the TiVo will crash every time. (Again, this happens either from pulling out after just looking at the file, or after starting to transfer the file and then going back, or after watching the entire file and deleting it or saving it. Anything that tries to take me back to it's subfolder crashes the Tivo.)

I do sometimes get random reboots, but very infrequently. I also force it to reboot at least once a week, because it gets the "delayed remote response" problem.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #1594
Emrys

I am running the wcmbrine fork from a few posts up, and it fixed my ability to see down 2 folders from the root IE : ROOT -> TV -> SERIES1 -> shows are listed here ( not sure if it's his patches or what that fixed it, but it works ). I am still unable to go a folder deeper, it just clones itself over and over. I can deal with this though. To be able to watch stuff from my fileserver is insane.

My question is, can we get a solution to not being able to see a second folder structure once we have already been down one previously ?

I have been trying to read through all this, but this thread is very confusing. In a nutshell, when you go into a folder ( season1 for example ), and then come back up one and try to go into another ( season2 for example ), it shows the contents of the first folder you just backed out of ( season 1 ). I'm not sure if that is a good description. Anyway, the way around it seems to be to back up to root, go into deleted, back up to root, go into another folder, back up to root, then go into the folder you were trying to get into. This works, however it can be a pain. I got this from Ticket # 11 : http://pytivo.armooo.net/ticket/11

Anybody up to speed on why this happens or how to fix it? Alas, I am not a coder, and wouldn't even know where to begin. Not sure if this is a known limitation or what.

Series 2 HD ( 9.2a I believe )
latest and greatest ( wcmbrine fork ) pyTivo code runnin on a gentoo box

Thanks
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #1595
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
I can only get ... reboots if I get into the description of a recording. [And] once I select a recording, if I back out, the TiVo will crash every time. I do sometimes get random reboots, but very infrequently.
Ok well both of those problems are resolved by a simple one line patch. I am glad to hear you have very few other reboots. I also generally don't have problems using subfolders either.

Unfortunately I can't get git to output a new change for you. I am assuming Armooo has to approve it? I checked out the subfolders made the change and then committed it. But nothing happened. Anyone know what else I need to do?

TreborPugly - hopefully Armooo will accept the mods soon and you can download a new update.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #1596
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
I am running the wcmbrine fork from a few posts up, and it fixed my ability to see down 2 folders from the root IE : ROOT -> TV -> SERIES1 -> shows are listed here ( not sure if it's his patches or what that fixed it, but it works ). I am still unable to go a folder deeper, it just clones itself over and over. I can deal with this though. To be able to watch stuff from my fileserver is insane.

My question is, can we get a solution to not being able to see a second folder structure once we have already been down one previously ?

I have been trying to read through all this, but this thread is very confusing. In a nutshell, when you go into a folder ( season1 for example ), and then come back up one and try to go into another ( season2 for example ), it shows the contents of the first folder you just backed out of ( season 1 ). I'm not sure if that is a good description. Anyway, the way around it seems to be to back up to root, go into deleted, back up to root, go into another folder, back up to root, then go into the folder you were trying to get into. This works, however it can be a pain. I got this from Ticket # 11 : http://pytivo.armooo.net/ticket/11

Anybody up to speed on why this happens or how to fix it? Alas, I am not a coder, and wouldn't even know where to begin. Not sure if this is a known limitation or what.

Series 2 HD ( 9.2a I believe )
latest and greatest ( wcmbrine fork ) pyTivo code runnin on a gentoo box

Thanks
What you are describing is the hiccup added by TiVo in their 8.3 software. I have never actually seen or tried the long solution you have described to fix it(I will have to check this out, i always had to wait for 30+ minutes).

From the pyTivo end there is only so much we can do to fix this. The two options are:
Subfolders-Hack - A separate fork of the main pyTivo program, this allows full subfolders use to function. Meaning you can have and browse subfolders infinitely deep. However this is a hack and does have some small possibility of causing your TiVo to reboot while you are browsing files on pyTivo. However for me and for others these reboots are very infrequent.
Auto_Shares - I have not tried this yet, but from my understanding this will automatically create multiple pyTivo shares in your Now Playing List. This function is present in the wmcbrine version that you have.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #1597
wgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
wgw,
Does your git fork merge in wmcbrine's plugins?
No, I started with the 12-31-master and added my changes. I had assumed armooo had merged all of wmcbrine's mods and plugins in the latest release, but a file compare indicates those are missing. I'm new to git as well and have not attempted a merge yet. I was going to wait and see if my mod would be accepted as a valid development path for the master and simply be merged into it. I didn't want to stray too far off the beaten path, so to speak.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #1598
Emrys

So from what I am reading you are trying to get this "hack" into the main tree to be enabled with an option in the config file, right ? Should I go back to the 12.03.07 hacked version? How infrequent is infrequent? We watch usually 3 hours of TV a night and frequently move around the guide, but not so much back and forth in the NPL.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that this was probably the problem, but thought "hey, I'm way past 8.3, this could be something else".
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #1599
MickeS

This is really confusing with all these forks and different versions...
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #1600
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
So from what I am reading you are trying to get this "hack" into the main tree to be enabled with an option in the config file, right ? Should I go back to the 12.03.07 hacked version? How infrequent is infrequent? We watch usually 3 hours of TV a night and frequently move around the guide, but not so much back and forth in the NPL.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that this was probably the problem, but thought "hey, I'm way past 8.3, this could be something else".
Yes that is the one I am talking about. Rebooting would only occur while browsing the pyTivo share if at all. If you are watching regular TV or selecting stuff in the normal NPL you have no worries. Most of the reboots are caused by rapidly moving through the pyTivo share, such as rapifly exiting multiple nested folders back to the pyTivo root. I think my tivo reboots maybe once a month?? It is hard to say exactly, but I doubt you would have a lot of issues. There is currently one outstanding fix that I am hoping armooo adds to the fork and posts a new download link for you. It is listed at Ticket #67 on the wiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
I agree, I am not sure I am a fan of the multiple forks using git. I think I would prefer a system where multiple people can contribute changes which are then accepted and put into the main distribution either through a majority vote or direct control of Armooo.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #1601
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Is anyone running a Windows version of Git? (If so I would appreciate some tips such as where you got it and how its use differs from the examples in the Git docs.)

Thanks...

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #1602
Sicklybutsexy

mastercephus,

Your latest update to the metadatagenerator makes adding all the texts for a whole season difficult, unless there is something I'm missing. How do you add a whole season? I've tried the right click and add method but then all the text files are called 1x1, 1x2 etc...They should have the extension is my understanding of the files that they are connected with such as 1x1.avi, 1x2.avi etc...Am I right? Otherwise you have to go to each file and change them and that seems to defeat the purpose. Thanks, still a great program.
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #1603
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Is anyone running a Windows version of Git? (If so I would appreciate some tips such as where you got it and how its use differs from the examples in the Git docs.)

Thanks...
I am running one made by google(??) I think it was one of their summer of code projects. It isn't great. In fact I highly miss using tortoiseSVN, that seemed much easier.

Sicklybutsexy I think the extension is supposed to be .txt for those files. I bet it is there and you just don't see it because of windows??

Old 01-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #1604
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

TreborPugly and Armooo Here is a patch to apply to the subfolders hack it fixes ticket #67.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 0001-Fixing-Ticket-67.patch.txt (845 Bytes, 29 views)

Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #1605
Sicklybutsexy

Sicklybutsexy I think the extension is supposed to be .txt for those files. I bet it is there and you just don't see it because of windows??[/quote]

It is a .txt file, however for it to work the file name should be the extension of the file you send to tivo such as .mpg, .avi etc...so that the text file name say for heroes ep 1.avi should be heroes ep 1.avi.txt. see what I'm saying? The new version of metadatagen dosen't account for the extension of the file you want to transfer making its batch utility useless...again unless I'm missing something.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #1606
MasterCephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
Sicklybutsexy I think the extension is supposed to be .txt for those files. I bet it is there and you just don't see it because of windows??

It is a .txt file, however for it to work the file name should be the extension of the file you send to tivo such as .mpg, .avi etc...so that the text file name say for heroes ep 1.avi should be heroes ep 1.avi.txt. see what I'm saying? The new version of metadatagen dosen't account for the extension of the file you want to transfer making its batch utility useless...again unless I'm missing something.[/quote]

No you're not missing anything...unless I am just not smart enough, it's just about impossible for me to allow a user to point to a directory with video files and export an entire season's worth of metadata to the proper file...everyone names their video files differently...but they usually keep the same convention throughout...so what I am doing is just allowing you to get all the metadata files and rename them properly. It might be just as fast to do it episode by episode, but someone requested this and it wasn't too hard to comply.

What I might do (I have to go back to work now so my updates might be a little slower ) is allow the user to specify their convention of naming their episodes (like allow the user to specify something like [ ]-NxN.[ ].txt where the [ ] is some text and the N's are the digits of the season number and episode....

it's difficult to do, but it could have you time to get all 20+ text files and just rename them to your video file...

does that make sense?

(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #1607
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
TreborPugly and Armooo Here is a patch to apply to the subfolders hack it fixes ticket #67.
Initial test is good! (I browsed to one recording, and backed out of it, with out a crash) I just applied this one line fix to what I'm running right now, which is a couple weeks behind, without the most recent stuff on metadata or the new audio plugin, etc...
Old 01-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #1608
MasterCephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
I totally agree with this statement...

the use of git and the current version of the pyTivo website is great for developers, but for people who just want to get pyTivo, applications surrounding it, and the support and documentation for it is just seriously crappy.

Armoo, would you and the other main developers have a problem with a couple of us trying to put together a separate site that would be the main site that has a support and documentation section, a forum, a downloads section, etc?

To me, this would be the best thing to do right now...

Would any web developers around be willing to help accomplish this? This IMO is severely needed...

Old 01-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #1609
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Armoo, would you and the other main developers have a problem with a couple of us trying to put together a separate site that would be the main site that has a support and documentation section, a forum, a downloads section, etc?
I agree work is needed. But a whole new site? Seems like the only thing we are missing on "TRAC" is a forum?? The support section would be best a forum anyways. I am working on cleaning up the tickets and closing those that are fixed.

Basically I think the current pytivo.armooo.net site has what we need. We just have to put in the effort on the wiki. The only thing missing is a forum. Can TRAC do forums?

Kevin

Old 01-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #1610
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Subfolders Hack is Up To Date

However it is only available under http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/krkeegan.git
OK I added a fork on repo.or.cz. I patched the fix from earlier today and also merged the main with the subfolders hack, so the subfolders hack is up to date. I will do some more fixes tomorrow to this fork with the hopes of merging subfolders back with master.

Does anyone know, can I merge around a corner with git? For example how can i merge the work done by wmcbringe in repo.or.cz. Thanks

Kevin

Last edited by KRKeegan : 01-01-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: heading
Old 01-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #1611
Tobashadow

Quote:
I agree work is needed. But a whole new site? Seems like the only thing we are missing on "TRAC" is a forum?? The support section would be best a forum anyways. I am working on cleaning up the tickets and closing those that are fixed.

Basically I think the current pytivo.armooo.net site has what we need. We just have to put in the effort on the wiki. The only thing missing is a forum. Can TRAC do forums?

Kevin
As a forum owner and admin i suggest a seperate forum on a seperate server linked directly from the wiki site.

Would be real easy to setup.

I'll even donate some time to work on it if needed.

You can even get freebie forums nowadays that dont even require buying a domain name, so it could be done for free.
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #1612
MasterCephus

Quote:
I don't know about forums, but you're right a seperate forums is really what is needed...

but also a cleander downloads section...

Something like where you just have the newest .ZIP & Tar file available to download and another page for previous versions.

Then we could also host there the other applications that people use (my MetaGenerator, etc) so it's a central place for all pyTivo stuff.

You know, it's also not to hard to create an installer...I have played a little with Inno Setup...I wonder how difficult it would be to create an installer that basically just installs the ZIP to a directory you choose and looks for previous installed versions, uninstalls it (keeping the config file) and installs the new version...THAT is what is really needed for everyone.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #1613
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
For example how can i merge the work done by wmcbrine in repo.or.cz.
Like so:

git pull --no-commit git://repo.or.cz/pyTivo/wmcbrine.git master

That's what I did, anyway, with wgw and the main branch, if I'm remembering right. (Then do a commit after you resolve any conflicts.) I know there's a way to be more selective, too.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #1614
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
..............You know, it's also not to hard to create an installer...I have played a little with Inno Setup...I wonder how difficult it would be to create an installer that basically just installs the ZIP to a directory you choose and looks for previous installed versions, uninstalls it (keeping the config file) and installs the new version...THAT is what is really needed for everyone.
I use Inno for both my programs (linked below). It's easy to use and quite solid. The pyTivo installation is a piece of cake - no registry modifications and no COM dll's to register. It's so simple that it seems questionable whether an installer is needed rather than just a zip.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #1615
wgw

Quote:

Thanks...
I'm using Git GUI. I may have downloaded from google but I don't remember. I can't get the gui to do half of what i want though and have to use the included bash. I guess they are 'meant' to be used in conjunction.

Last edited by wgw : 01-01-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #1616
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
It is a .txt file, however for it to work the file name should be the extension of the file you send to tivo such as .mpg, .avi etc...so that the text file name say for heroes ep 1.avi should be heroes ep 1.avi.txt. see what I'm saying? The new version of metadatagen dosen't account for the extension of the file you want to transfer making its batch utility useless...again unless I'm missing something.
No you're not missing anything...unless I am just not smart enough, it's just about impossible for me to allow a user to point to a directory with video files and export an entire season's worth of metadata to the proper file...everyone names their video files differently...but they usually keep the same convention throughout...so what I am doing is just allowing you to get all the metadata files and rename them properly. It might be just as fast to do it episode by episode, but someone requested this and it wasn't too hard to comply.

What I might do (I have to go back to work now so my updates might be a little slower ) is allow the user to specify their convention of naming their episodes (like allow the user to specify something like [ ]-NxN.[ ].txt where the [ ] is some text and the N's are the digits of the season number and episode....

it's difficult to do, but it could have you time to get all 20+ text files and just rename them to your video file...

does that make sense?[/quote]

Totally makes sense. But all that really has to be done is that the outputted text files could all have the same extension such as mpg.txt or avi.txt (with that option). It's easy to rename all the original file names by just selecting them all and having them go in series and then selecting all the text files and having them go in series. It still would be quicker than going file by file. I think...but I may be starting to confuse myself.

Last edited by Sicklybutsexy : 01-01-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: forgot to answer
Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #1617
MasterCephus

Quote:
I use Inno for both my programs (linked below). It's easy to use and quite solid. The pyTivo installation is a piece of cake - no registry modifications and no COM dll's to register. It's so simple that it seems questionable whether an installer is needed rather than just a zip.
I agree, but most people would rather have an installer instead of just a zip file. It would just be easier IMO of course...

It would be nice if we could have a dedicated forum, along with everytime a new "official" version if published, a installer is created and made where everyone knows it's there. It would also be easier to have the other applications people use (your apps, my apps, etc) to be along with this so everyone has a central location to get everything...

Old 01-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #1618
wgw

Quote:
wgw,
Does your git fork merge in wmcbrine's plugins?
OK, I went ahead and merged my updates with wmcbrine's since he provided the command and I wanted to try it out. Thanks.

Here is the link to the combined version.

http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wgw.git?a...48daed8;sf=tgz
Old 01-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #1619
smilerz

MasterCephus - one thing that you could do is allow file to episode matching.
I.E display two columns (one with episodes and one with files) and use <=> type commands to match them together.

No need to guess the naming conventions and it streamlines the process.

Of course, I'm not a developer so this is pie-in-the-sky theorizing.

If nothing else, i'd like to request remembering the last folder location and/or the file extension.
smilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #1620
MickeS

Is there a way to use the native height and width of the input file as the height and width of the output file, or does every output file has to have the height/width set in the config file?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote