TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Ongoing Specials from DVRupgrade for TiVoCommunity Members

Updated: December 11th with a new Holiday Special detailed here...

Subscribe to this thread to be updated when new specials are added!

If you are a TiVo Community Forum member, then you are eligible to receive a special price on any of these upgraded systems offered to you by DVRupgrade, the official TiVo Upgrade sponsor of TiVo Community. We have had a presence here since September of 2000 and were the creators of the very first upgrade kits and services so many years ago. As advertisers here at one time, we've taken the plunge to become the official sponsors and are working together with the new owners of the community to offer special pricing on select products, sponsor contests and even offer special pricing to members of the TiVo Community Club (TC Club), as well.

Here are the current specials being offered:

Specials on THESE select TiVo HD Systems

$50 off any of the following upgraded TiVo HD systems:

TiVo HD DVR (43-hours HD / 409-hours SD) Normally: $349 With coupon: $299

TiVo HD DVR (70-hours HD / 663-hours SD) Normally: $499 With coupon: $349

TiVo HD DVR (107-hours HD / 1015-hours SD) Normally: $429 With coupon: $379

TiVo HD DVR (144-hours HD / 1368-hours SD) Normally: $499 With coupon: $399

TiVo HD DVR (292-hours HD / 2776-hours SD) Normally: $749 With coupon: $699

When checking out, please use this coupon code: DVRTCF2009-050 and the $50 will automatically be deducted.

If you want an HDMI cable, you can buy one for a PENNY by using this coupon code: HDMI09TCF

And if you want a GLO REMOTE, you can buy one for $30 by using this coupon code: DVRTCF2009-030

All three coupon codes may be used during a single purchase. They can't be combined with some other offers, like the free glo remote / wireless adapter offer on our site. If you have a question about ordering, please let me know or reply to this thread.

The idea here is to work together with TCF to give you some deals that are better than you can find anywhere else. Hopefully that is the case, and if they are not, please let me know and I will look into it further.

Current Status of TiVo HD Specials

Lifetime Service is now available (as of 5/15/08) on new TiVo DVR purchases and activations. $399 for the first unit on your account and $299 for any subsequent unit on your account. All TiVo HD units purchased from DVRupgrade are eligible for this pricing as your activations are done with TiVo, directly.

Thanks again for your support,

Lou

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 12-11-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: updated pricing for 2009 Holiday Season
tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Lifetime Transfer Details

Also worth noting is that these units are eligible the Transfer of Product Lifetime offer that was announced by TiVo in November.

Basic rules are:
  1. You must have a lifetime subscription on another TiVo unit that was activated prior to October 1st, 2003
  2. You must purchase your TiVo HD prior to February 3, 2008
  3. The transfer costs $199
  4. Your old unit will remain active for one year following the activation

Full details of the promotion, and tool you can use to check your service ID to confirm eligibility are available here on the TiVo website.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

I just sent Santa a letter asking for an external RAID 5 system in the price range of the Buffalo Drivestation Quattro which will work with the THD.

I hand wrote it instead of using email thinking it might get more attention for being unique in these modern times.

It would be really nice if the thing allowed you to do neat stuff like add bigger drives one at a time and automatically rebuild to larger and larger sizes - which could be expanded with tools like WinMFS.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

I just sent Santa a letter asking for an external RAID 5 system in the price range of the Buffalo Drivestation Quattro which will work with the THD.

I hand wrote it instead of using email thinking it might get more attention for being unique in these modern times.

It would be really nice if the thing allowed you to do neat stuff like add bigger drives one at a time and automatically rebuild to larger and larger sizes - which could be expanded with tools like WinMFS.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo View Post

Hmm. We don't have anything like that. As far as I know, the ONLY external drives which will work with the TiVo HD (without having to modify the software on your TiVo) are the Western Digital My DVR Expander drives only available from TiVo and Best Buy.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
nickmyer5

I just purchased a Series 3 through TiVo directly and did so because I wanted to transfer my lifetime service. I got it for $449 but wasn't told (on the phone) that it was a refurbished model. I'm pretty annoyed about that and am considering returning the TiVo and also looking at my options. It doesn't look like TiVo currently has any new models in stock according to their website.

My question:
Does the $200 rebate work for Series 3 with transfer lifetime on DVRUpgrade? Meaning I'd pay $449 + lifetime transfer for the 32 hour model. The rebate says it only works with a one year subscription and that's useless to me.
nickmyer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmyer5 View Post
I just purchased a Series 3 through TiVo directly and did so because I wanted to transfer my lifetime service. I got it for $449 but wasn't told (on the phone) that it was a refurbished model. I'm pretty annoyed about that and am considering returning the TiVo and also looking at my options. It doesn't look like TiVo currently has any new models in stock according to their website.

My question:
Does the $200 rebate work for Series 3 with transfer lifetime on DVRUpgrade? Meaning I'd pay $449 + lifetime transfer for the 32 hour model. The rebate says it only works with a one year subscription and that's useless to me.
Its my understanding that the TRANSFER of a lifetime subscription offer only applies to purchases of the TiVo HD. Here's a link to the TiVo HD Lifetime Transfer Offer which is pretty specific about it being the TiVo HD (the transfer costs $199).

The purchase of a LIFETIME SERVICE for $399 applies to BOTH the TiVo HD and the Series3. Its my understanding that you must already have an active TiVo account to qualify to purchase a lifetime and that a DirecTV TiVo system won't count towards that qualification. If you look here on the TiVo site there is a reference to Multi Service Discounts and Product Lifetime where it says "Already have TiVo?"

Whether you get the unit from us, another retailer or TiVo directly, it does not matter; either way you have to activate the TiVo with them directly either through their web site or by calling them, and the rebate form (for the Series3) must be submitted directly, as well.

Hope that helps,
Lou

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 12-15-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
Hmm. We don't have anything like that.
Thus the letter to Santa.

I think you guys supplied the 400GB HD when I bought my S3/upgrade from TCS last year.

It has worked great - now appearing in a TiVo HD - The S3 having been upgraded yet again.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
Mikeguy

Hmm, coupon code for the glow remote not working?

I get this message when using the above coupon code (DVRTCF2007-030):

Quote:
The certificate number or coupon code entered is not valid or does not apply to any of the products in your cart.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Hmm, coupon code for the glow remote not working?

I get this message when using the above coupon code (DVRTCF2007-030):
I just tried it and it worked with no problems.

What products did you have in the cart?

Old 12-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Mikeguy

Had tried purchasing a remote alone--perhaps it's only a remote when purchasing the other products?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #12
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Had tried purchasing a remote alone--perhaps it's only a remote when purchasing the other products?
That is correct. The special price for the remote (and the HDMI cable) are when purchasing one of the featured upgraded units listed above.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
Mikeguy

Ah, got it--too bad!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
newswatcher

Too bad you don't offer any discounts on DTV TiVo upgrades, replacement drives/add more hours. I want to upgrade my Hughes SD-DVR40 TiVo with more hours. No one is offering discounts anymore for standard TiVo it seems: weaknees (no), and your company (no), tivorevolution (no, they even dropped their Maxtor drives, 235-hours for $84, gone).
Being Christmas and all...sure would like at least a few bucks off...sniff, sniff.

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #15
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newswatcher View Post
Too bad you don't offer any discounts on DTV TiVo upgrades, replacement drives/add more hours. I want to upgrade my Hughes SD-DVR40 TiVo with more hours. No one is offering discounts anymore for standard TiVo it seems: weaknees (no), and your company (no), tivorevolution (no, they even dropped their Maxtor drives, 235-hours for $84, gone).
Being Christmas and all...sure would like at least a few bucks off...sniff, sniff.
If you got our most recent mailing, you'll find something nice in it.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
sting

Quote:
Folks, we've put together a few specials for TCF members to help get you through the Holiday Season:

$50 off any of the following upgraded TiVo HD systems are enhanced with either Samsung, Seagate or Hitachi drives, and all are tuned and intended for use in DVR systems:

TiVo HD DVR (43-hours HD / 409-hours SD)
Normally: $449
With coupon: $399

TiVo HD DVR (70-hours HD / 663-hours SD)
Normally: $579
With coupon: $529

TiVo HD DVR (107-hours HD / 1015-hours SD)
Normally: $779
With coupon: $729
(also eligible for $30 Hitachi rebate)

TiVo HD DVR (144-hours HD / 1368-hours SD)
Normally: $949
With coupon: $899
(also eligible for $30 Hitachi rebate)

When checking out, please use this coupon code: DVRTCF2007-050

And the $50 will automatically be deducted.

If you want an HDMI cable, you can buy one for a PENNY by using this coupon code: HDMI07TCS

And if you want a GLO REMOTE, they can buy one for $30 by using this coupon code: DVRTCF2007-030

You should be able to use all three coupon codes during a single purchase.

The idea here is to work together with TCF to give you some deals that are better than you can find anywhere else. Hopefully that is the case, and if they are not, please let me know and I will look into it further.

Thanks again for your support and Happy Holidays,

Lou
Questions on the 107-hour and 144-hour HD units -

I followed your links to your product pages, what does it mean that the drives shipped in these units are Hitachi DeskStar drives tuned to Hitachi CinemaStar spec?

Why wouldn't you just use the Hitachi Cinemastar drives? I understood from the Hitachi website that the CinemaStar model is designed specifically for DVR applications but not the DeskStar model.
sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #17
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting View Post
Questions on the 107-hour and 144-hour HD units -

I followed your links to your product pages, what does it mean that the drives shipped in these units are Hitachi DeskStar drives tuned to Hitachi CinemaStar spec?

Why wouldn't you just use the Hitachi Cinemastar drives? I understood from the Hitachi website that the CinemaStar model is designed specifically for DVR applications but not the DeskStar model.
From a hardware perspective, both drives are the same. However, the 'firmware' , which is programmed into the controller of the hard drive, is different for CinemaStar and Deskstar hard drives because the performance requirements of deskstop drives are different than when used in a DVR (desktop drives run with faster seeks which is also noiser, and they also optimize on data integrity which can degrade video performance). Hitachi gave us special software which allows us to program the Deskstar so that it is the same as the CinemaStar. So for all practical purposes, they are the same.

Hence the term, "tuned to Hitachi CinemaStar specifications."

At the time we purchased most of our Deskstar inventory, CinemaStars were not readily accessible and were (and still are) more expensive, as well. We are considering carrying CinemaStar drives in the future, perhaps by special order only, however it would also be more expensive to do so. Its not clear that there is value there given that appropriately configured desktop drives have always worked just fine.

Hope that clears things up.

Lou

Old 12-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #18
sting

Quote:
From a hardware perspective, both drives are the same. However, the 'firmware' , which is programmed into the controller of the hard drive, is different for CinemaStar and Deskstar hard drives because the performance requirements of deskstop drives are different than when used in a DVR (desktop drives run with faster seeks which is also noiser, and they also optimize on data integrity which can degrade video performance). Hitachi gave us special software which allows us to program the Deskstar so that it is the same as the CinemaStar. So for all practical purposes, they are the same.

Hence the term, "tuned to Hitachi CinemaStar specifications."

At the time we purchased most of our Deskstar inventory, CinemaStars were not readily accessible and were (and still are) more expensive, as well. We are considering carrying CinemaStar drives in the future, perhaps by special order only, however it would also be more expensive to do so. Its not clear that there is value there given that appropriately configured desktop drives have always worked just fine.

Lou
A few follow-up questions -

- Does Hitachi officially sanction your specific modifications to the DeskStar drives to make them identical to the CinemaStar drives?

- How does it affect Hitachi standard factory warranty for these modified drives?

- Who certifies these modified DeskStar drives to be identical to the CinemaStar drives?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #19
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
A few follow-up questions -

- Does Hitachi officially sanction your specific modifications to the DeskStar drives to make them identical to the CinemaStar drives?

- How does it affect Hitachi standard factory warranty for these modified drives?

- Who certifies these modified DeskStar drives to be identical to the CinemaStar drives?
Here is a statement that should cover all of this, perhaps not to your complete satisfaction, but I think its more than appropriate given that this is a public forum, and the questions are a bit off the original topic:

We do have relationship with Hitachi and they have provided us with the tools, information and guidance on making these modifications. To my knowledge, there is no impact on the warranty, as it was not part of our original discussion. There is no certification beyond that; we spoke with a Marketing person and an Engineering resource who gave us the information and tools we needed and assured us that the modifications made to the Deskstar rendered it the same as a CinemaStar.

In addition, this discussion all took place at the same time we established the rebates, as well. That's really about as official as it gets, though. [edit: The bottom line here is that we are happy to be working with Hitachi and increasing awareness of their products in this segment of the market; that is my official statement.]

Lastly, I'll bring this up because it was brought up to me in our conversations with Hitachi, as well:

Its Deskstar... and CinemaStar... I know it seems inconsistent, but that is how they prefer the names to be spelled and they were very clear about representing it that way, as well.

Lou

Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #20
sting

Quote:
Here is a statement that should cover all of this, perhaps not to your complete satisfaction, but I think its more than appropriate given that this is a public forum, and the questions are a bit off the original topic:

We do have relationship with Hitachi and they have provided us with the tools, information and guidance on making these modifications. To my knowledge, there is no impact on the warranty, as it was not part of our original discussion. There is no certification beyond that; we spoke with a Marketing person and an Engineering resource who gave us the information and tools we needed and assured us that the modifications made to the Deskstar rendered it the same as a CinemaStar.

In addition, this discussion all took place at the same time we established the rebates, as well. That's really about as official as it gets, though. [edit: The bottom line here is that we are happy to be working with Hitachi and increasing awareness of their products in this segment of the market; that is my official statement.]

Lastly, I'll bring this up because it was brought up to me in our conversations with Hitachi, as well:

Its Deskstar... and CinemaStar... I know it seems inconsistent, but that is how they prefer the names to be spelled and they were very clear about representing it that way, as well.

Lou
Thanks for the information.

Given your statement and the fact that the 107-hour and 144-hour models (for both Series 3 and Tivo HD) are quite expensive, I'd suggest the following -

- DVRupgrade obtains a definitive statement from Hitachi that Hitachi will honor standard factory warranty on these Deskstar drives modified by DVRupgrade.

- There does not seem to be consistent QA on these modified Deskstar drives to make sure that they strictly adhere to complete CinemaStar specification and reliability. Hitachi should provide DVRupgrade with complete certification kit for such purpose.

It will otherwise be too risky for users to have these DVRupgrade modified drives with gigantic capacity installed in a Tivo where reliability is most critical for 24/7 DVR applications.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #21
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the information.

Given your statement and the fact that the 107-hour and 144-hour models (for both Series 3 and Tivo HD) are quite expensive...
It is all relative, I suppose.

As per my original post, I should mention that the coupon is only good through December 31st (as are the rebates).

Have a safe and happy holiday!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #22
georgepds

Quote:

The purchase of a LIFETIME SERVICE for $399 applies to BOTH the TiVo HD and the Series3. Its my understanding that you must already have an active TiVo account to qualify to purchase a lifetime...
FWIIW, I purchased a lifetime with the Tivo HD using an old tivo subscription # from about 5 years ago.
georgepds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #23
jkovach
TiVoing since 1999!

Quote:
Folks, we've put together a few specials for TCF members to help get you through the Holiday Season:

$50 off any of the following upgraded TiVo HD systems are enhanced with either Samsung, Seagate or Hitachi drives, and all are tuned and intended for use in DVR systems:

TiVo HD DVR (43-hours HD / 409-hours SD)
Normally: $449
With coupon: $399
Lou,

Is the 43-Hr HD Tivo fully compatible with the My DVR Expander?

Thanks!

Jeff
jkovach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:25 AM   #24
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkovach View Post
Lou,

Is the 43-Hr HD Tivo fully compatible with the My DVR Expander?

Thanks!

Jeff
No, unfortunately, external drives like the MyDVR Expander cannot be used on units which have already been upgraded. More details on "the rules" are here, but our recommendation is to go with a single drive unit whenever possible (one drive is inherently more reliable than two) and to go with the largest configuration you expect to need from the beginning, so you don't have to upgrade again later.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 PM   #25
mrjohnso

These coupon codes should still work today, right? I have the Tivo HD 43-hour and Tivo Glo remote in my cart but none of the coupon codes will work for me.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #26
davewill

I had the same problem.

I had the same problem, and emailed DVRUpgrade. They fixed it and my order just went through with the $50 off and 1 penny HDMI codes. I didn't get the remote.
davewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:25 PM   #27
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

its fixed...

... sorry about the problem. The cart appears to be calculating the ending date of the promotion correctly. We are extending the codes until 1/15/08 for good measure.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #28
tivoPaul

Still not working for me....I get the message 'The certificate number or coupon code entered is not valid or does not apply to any of the products in your cart. A balance of 58.78 remains.' when entering the code for the glo-remote.
tivoPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #29
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoPaul View Post
Still not working for me....I get the message 'The certificate number or coupon code entered is not valid or does not apply to any of the products in your cart. A balance of 58.78 remains.' when entering the code for the glo-remote.
I've just checked (again) and the codes to all work. I don't know exactly what you are trying to purchase or what codes you are using, but with a balance of $58.78, I'd guess that the error you are receiving is correct. Any of the listed TiVo HD systems certainly cost more than that, and if you are attempting to use the glo-remote coupon on its own, its not going to work. That coupon (as well as the HDMI cable coupon) is intended to be used when purchasing one of the specials listed in the original post.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #30
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo View Post

Quote:
Hmm. We don't have anything like that. As far as I know, the ONLY external drives which will work with the TiVo HD (without having to modify the software on your TiVo) are the Western Digital My DVR Expander drives only available from TiVo and Best Buy.
What about this drobo robot thing you guys are selling with a SATA interface? Will that work if attached to a TiVo?