TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2007, 09:35 AM   #1561
MasterCephus

Quote:
Yes, this would be great!

The multiply and divde scenario you all posted is how I handled it in parsexmlguide.vb

Does metagenerator or pyTivo support episode numbers? If they would, then the data is also available right up on imdb
I am already capturing the episode number, but I don't think I am writing it out to the file.

I am not sure if pyTivo allows you to use it yet...I'll have to look.

Also, please read my post here. I am not capturing data from zap2it or IMDB. I don't believe I will be able to capture data from zap2it without screen scraping (which isn't a good thing to do) and IMDB is really weird about how to get their data (they want you to host your own data and only offer text files to create your DB)...so I found these two places which they seem to be a really good solution. A lot of HTCs are using these two places to get their data so it must be ok.

If anyone else knows of a data source we can use (and how to get the data, not just saying IMDB is good) then I will definitely look at it....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files

Last edited by MasterCephus : 12-31-2007 at 10:24 AM.
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #1562
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I don't see this problem on my Series 2 DT TiVo. I have several shares with more than 3 pages of videos in them. I tried it with and without the auto_subshares too.

Have you previously used a version that did not have this problem?

I wonder if this is specific to certain TiVo models. Does it happen on all your TiVos?

This seems to match Ticket #53 and it doesn't look like anyone has addressed that problem.

Another user reported a similar problem in post #1506 of this thread but don't know what TiVo model they were using.

Anyone else seeing this problem? (Please give your TiVo model and pyTivo software version and operating system.)
It was on a Humax DVDTiVo (model 595). I have another identical TiVo that I haven't tested yet, and an S3 that I haven't tested yet. I had to revert back to allow some movies to be watched! I've been using a previous version that doesn't have this problem, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I've lost track of what version it is, with all the fiddling around I've been doing. Is there a quick way to tell?

ETA: Running on Windows Vista Ultimate.

Last edited by etsolow : 12-31-2007 at 10:52 AM.
etsolow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:58 AM   #1563
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
I am already capturing the episode number, but I don't think I am writing it out to the file.

I am not sure if pyTivo allows you to use it yet...I'll have to look.

AFAIK, pyTivo does not handle the episode number.

You could consider doing it the way my two programs (which read the metadata from .tivo files, see links below) do:

I incorporate the seriesTitle, episode# (if it exists) and episodeTitle (if it exists) in the "title" metadata field, e.g.:

title : CSI: Miami (#508) - High Octane

This seems to work out well. To see how it displays, just mod one of your existing metadata files with dummy data in the title item and select the video from the NPL.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #1564
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow View Post
It was on a Humax DVDTiVo (model 595). I have another identical TiVo that I haven't tested yet, and an S3 that I haven't tested yet. I had to revert back to allow some movies to be watched! I've been using a previous version that doesn't have this problem, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I've lost track of what version it is, with all the fiddling around I've been doing. Is there a quick way to tell?

ETA: Running on Windows Vista Ultimate.
Be curious to see what it does on the S3.

Don't know any way to tell pyTivo versions.

Hmmm... Vista. I wonder if another user could test this code on Vista and report whether they have the same problem. Are you running with Admin privileges?

and
Old 12-31-2007, 11:05 AM   #1565
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
Are you running with Admin privileges?
Yep.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #1566
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow View Post
Yep.
It would be interesting (if you're willing) to download wmcbrine's snapshot and see if it behaves the same way (i.e., to see if I corrupted it when I created the zip and added my two mods).

One of the lucky 200 eh? That means lucky enough to pay $800, right? (I'm just envious.) Looks like you're also an early TiVo adopter.

and
Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #1567
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
It would be interesting (if you're willing) to download wmcbrine's snapshot and see if it behaves the same way (i.e., to see if I corrupted it when I created the zip and added my two mods).
OK, I downloaded that version and it works fine on both my 595 and the S3. So I went back to your version, and now it works fine on both too. Go figure! I'll stick with yours, as I prefer the way you handle files without metadata.

Thanks!

Quote:
One of the lucky 200 eh? That means lucky enough to pay $800, right? (I'm just envious.) Looks like you're also an early TiVo adopter.
Yes I paid $800, but that's actually a reference to the 200 Tivo.com orders that were "lost" on day one of the S3's availability. The subsequent debacle almost made some of us rethink our relationship with TiVo.

Last edited by etsolow : 12-31-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #1568
MasterCephus

I updated the pyTivo wiki with information about the metadata feature. I created a metadata page that has all data from the notes that was created by Ruttmeister.

The links for the pages is under the "Special Features" section of the home page.

Hopefully this will help new people understand the whole metadata feature in pyTivo...

pyTivo home page

Old 12-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #1569
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I updated the pyTivo wiki with information about the metadata feature. I created a metadata page that has all data from the notes that was created by Ruttmeister.

The links for the pages is under the "Special Features" section of the home page.

Hopefully this will help new people understand the whole metadata feature in pyTivo...

pyTivo home page
Good Job!

I will be adding links and a description page for pyTivoMetaGen soon.

I didn't see any basic description of how the metadata file system works (i.e., you need a text file named <video_file_name.ext>.txt in the same folder as the video file). Did I miss this?

and
Old 12-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #1570
MasterCephus

Quote:
I didn't see any basic description of how the metadata file system works (i.e., you need a text file named <video_file_name.ext>.txt in the same folder as the video file). Did I miss this?
No you didn't, I forgot to put that

I will add that into the MetaData folder right now before I forget.

I am pretty sure that I will release a new version of the metagenerator today that will allow you to right-click an entire season, choose the correct seriesId, choose a destination directory and it will create all the metadata files for the entire season into that directory.

I am naming the files like: 1x1.txt, 1x2.txt, 1x3.txt, 1x4.txt

This way that hardest part is really just renaming them to your episode convention, which isn't that hard.

I am NOT going to release the ratings-to-stars stuff we have been talking about until a new version of pyTivo is released with the ratings in there (dlfl made a hack, but it's not officially in there yet).

Old 12-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #1571
Chew

Quote:
The pyTivo download has not been updated since 9 Dec 07 and a number of bug fixes and enhancements have occurred since then.
Would updating a previously installed and running Windows version be as easy as copying the contents of your zip into the pytivo folder (and thus overlaying what's there)?
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #1572
MasterCephus

MetaGenerator v1.2

Here is the latest version of the MetaGenerator.

The only thing that I have added is the ability to choose a season and extract the entire season's episodes to a directory. This will name the episodes like: 1x1.txt, 1x2.txt, 1x3.txt, 1x4.txt

Again, if you notice any bugs, let me know and I will try to send out an update for everyone.

Enjoy!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:48 PM   #1573
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There's a new master version posted, and I've merged that and wgw's branch into mine.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:10 PM   #1574
MasterCephus

^ Anyone know what's in the new version?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #1575
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Would updating a previously installed and running Windows version be as easy as copying the contents of your zip into the pytivo folder (and thus overlaying what's there)?
Not a recommended procedure although it MIGHT work.

Recommended: Make a new folder for the new version of pyTivo. There is no harm in having multiple pyTivo folders (with distinct names of course) -- just be sure the ffmpeg path is correct in the local pyTivo.conf file. This way you don't delete a version that, as you said, is "installed and running."

If you still want to install on top, delete everything in the current pyTivo folder except your pyTivo.conf file, then copy the zip contents in.

and
Old 12-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #1576
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
^ Anyone know what's in the new version?
I found the easiest way to see the changes was via http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo.git . Basically it's most of my changes except for the plugins, along with dlfl's ticket #58.

BTW, I see no problem with simply unzipping a new version over an old one.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 12-31-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #1577
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I found the easiest way to see the changes was via http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo.git . Basically it's most of my changes except for the plugins, along with dlfl's ticket #58.

I've been unzipping a new pyTivo over an old one for months and never have had any problem. You just have to make sure the directory names are the same obviously so it just takes some renaming. Mastercephus, I don't understand what is new with the new generator. How do you add series episode numbers?
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #1578
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
This seems to say your latest Git snapshot does NOT include your new plugins. However it looks like it does. (They don't match what's in the WiKi source and there is a photo module that isn't in the Wiki source).

(And I can't imagine why you would exclude your plugins.)

Please clarify??
Thanks

Edit: Sorry -- I was confused. The link above is to the "main" pyTivo code, not to wmcbrine's fork.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 12-31-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:19 PM   #1579
MasterCephus

Quote:
Mastercephus, I don't understand what is new with the new generator. How do you add series episode numbers?
Search for a TV series, then right click on a season...you can now batch save an entire season's worth of metadata to a directory.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #1580
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:

Hi Mcbrine.

Did you see my debug output for the music section? FWIW, it looks like it was trying to do some kind of video stuff with it.

Can you look at it, see if you see what is going on?

Thanks
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #1581
dlfl
Cranky old novice

New zip download recommendation for new users

Quote:
There's a new master version posted, and I've merged that and wgw's branch into mine.
Well, now we have a little dilemma: what do we recommend for new users?

The only significant difference between the "official" (wiki-based) download and wmcbrine's fork is the enhanced plugins (including a photo plugin) in the wmcbrine version.

My impression is that (1) the wmcbrine plugins are generally superior and (2) they have received fairly adequate testing by now. I've tested the latest snapshot for basic video transcoding functionality also.

Thus I've put a zip snapshot of the wmcbrine fork on mediafire.com.

The only advantages of my download over just getting a snapshot from wmcbrine's Git link are:
1. You get .zip instead of Tar.gz
2. I'm still including a newer more capable version of ffmpeg (r11051).

As I've been so thoroughly instructed there apparently is no harm in just copying one of these zips on top of an existing pyTivo installation. I was concerned about the possibility that the Python compiler might be fooled into not recompiling a new module due to some problem with file time/date stamps (?).

and
Old 12-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #1582
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
If I follow your procedure, I always get a reboot now.

Cool, I have a patch that will fix this, but I need to figure out what armooo did with the subfolders svn. I dont see it in git either.

TreborPugly Can you also tell me if you are getting any other reboots when you do anything else? And if you get any just random reboots that you can't figure out what caused them?

Kevin

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #1583
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Merging of various forks

Quote:
Well, now we have a little dilemma: what do we recommend for new users?
Yeah I see this as kind of a problem too. I think we incorporate wmcbrine's ticket fixes into the main source. As for his plugins, I think these can remain as a separate distribution containing only the plugins? The idea of a plugin is that it does not require any changes to the base program. If these plugins are truly autonomous then I think we should make a link on the wiki and reference them as addons to the base program.

Armooo I need your input on this specifically. And anyone else who has been contributing to the development.

I also think the 8.3 hack fork should be folded into the main program. Keeping 2 separate forks running seems unnecessary and confusing to users.

Now I believe your initial reason for splitting the program into 2 forks was a concern over stability. And I agree the 8.3 hack is not perfect and will always probably have some instability. However, if the Hack83 setting is not set to true in the conf file it will not cause pyTivo to be any less stable because the problematic areas will not be executed.

To further explain I have included the differences of the 3 files which are affected by the Hack83 fork. Config.py, httpserver.py and video.py are the only files altered by the Hack83 fork.

Config.py - Hack83 adds the following lines 76-84
Code:
 def getHack83():
     try:
         debug = config.get('Server', 'hack83')
         if debug.lower() == 'true':
             return True
         else:
             return False
     except NoOptionError:
         return True
This is just a function to get the value of the Hack83 setting from the conf file, no big deal. Now I should change the default from true to false so that this function would have to be affirmatively selected.

httpserver.py - Hack83 imports the config file, no big deal. It also adds a similar debug call to one found in transcode.py, since this same function is included in the standard video.py it isn't a big deal. Then Hack83 replaces
Code:
         self.send_response(404)
         self.send_header('Content-type', 'text/html')
         self.end_headers()
         t = Template(file=os.path.join(SCRIPTDIR,'templates','unsuported.tmpl'))
         t.query = query
         self.wfile.write(t)
With
Code:
         if hack83 and 'Command' in query and 'Filter' in query:
             debug_write(['Unsupported request, checking to see if it is video.', '\n'])
             command = query['Command'][0]
             plugin = plugin = GetPlugin('video')
             if "".join(query['Filter']).find('video') >= 0 and hasattr(plugin,command):
                 debug_write(['Unsupported request, yup it is video send to video plugin for it to sort out.', '\n'])
                 method = getattr(plugin, command)
                 method(self, query)
             else:        
                 self.send_response(404)
                 self.end_headers()
                 t.query = query
                 self.wfile.write(t)
         else:
             self.send_response(404)
             self.end_headers()
             t.query = query
             self.wfile.write(t)
This code will not be executed without the Hack83 setting being set to true. Thus I think the changes in this file are safe.

Video.py - Hack83 imports time, which isn't a big deal. The debug function from transcode.py has also been added, which as I discussed above shouldn't be a problem. Hack83 adds a 150 line function called hack, because this is a function it should only be an issue if it is called, which will only occur if it was selected from the conf file. Finally at line 126 Hack83 adds the following:
Code:
        if hack83:
            print '========================================================================='
            query, hackPath = self.hack(handler, query, subcname)
            print 'Tivo said: ' + subcname + ' || Hack said: ' + "/".join(hackPath)
            debug_write(['Hack Tivo said: ', subcname, ' || Hack said: ' , "/".join(hackPath), '\n'])
            subcname = "/".join(hackPath)

if not query:
                debug_write(['Hack sending 302 redirect page', '\n'])
                handler.send_response(302)
                handler.send_header('Location ', 'http://' + handler.headers.getheader('host') + '/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&AnchorItem=Hack8.3&Container=' + "/".join(hackPath))
                handler.end_headers()
                return
This as you can see will only be run if it is selected from the conf file.

I have enclosed a complete text patch file necessary to update master to hack83 so you can see all the differences.

Originally I think it made sense to fork this hack hoping that TiVo would fix the issue. But as this has progressed it appears very unlikely that TiVo is going to fix this anytime soon. I think new users and existing users would benefit not having to figure out why there are two different forks of the program.

Let me know what you think. I am not trying to be difficult I just think it might be easier for users and I have been running the subfolders hack for 9 months with very little issues.

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: txt patch.txt (10.8 KB, 6 views)

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #1584
Chew

Quote:
Not a recommended procedure although it MIGHT work.

Recommended: Make a new folder for the new version of pyTivo. There is no harm in having multiple pyTivo folders (with distinct names of course) -- just be sure the ffmpeg path is correct in the local pyTivo.conf file. This way you don't delete a version that, as you said, is "installed and running."

If you still want to install on top, delete everything in the current pyTivo folder except your pyTivo.conf file, then copy the zip contents in.
Thanks!

Just updated as suggested and it worked perfectly. Thanks again to everybody who helps with and works on this great program!

Last edited by Chew : 12-31-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #1585
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan View Post
Yeah I see this as kind of a problem too. I think we incorporate wmcbrine's ticket fixes into the main source. As for his plugins, I think these can remain as a separate distribution containing only the plugins? The idea of a plugin is that it does not require any changes to the base program. If these plugins are truly autonomous then I think we should make a link on the wiki and reference them as addons to the base program.
I also think the 8.3 hack fork should be folded into the main program. Keeping 2 separate forks running seems unnecessary and confusing to users.
Kevin
Strongly agree with folding subfolders into main. Seems simple and low risk.

Regarding the plugins, it's music and photo.

The main program currently has no photo plugin so why not just include wmcbrine's ? What are you losing?

wmcbrine has put a lot of work into the music plugin -- see this post and the thread leading up to it. Unless someone has a complaint about it (or the author himself recommends against it) I favor making it the mainstream code.

and
Old 01-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #1586
wgw

SD/HD Tivo Audio/Video/Codec compatibility

Jan 12 Update: updated ffmpeg to rev.11143.

Jan 05 Update: Moved calls for mpg info to cache to speed Tivo display.

I have created an enhancement for pyTivo if anyone would like to try it out. Be sure to create a new pytivo.conf file using the supplied pytivo.conf.dist.

http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/LatestBeta

Hopefully this modification will make pyTivo more effortless and easy to use for both new and advanced users.

Summary of the changes.

MPEG AUDIO COMPATIBILITY:
Converts user provided audio bitrates to non-zero multiple
of 64 for ffmpeg compatiblity.
Sets max audio bitrate to 384k/448k for S2/S3 tivos respectively.
Checks audio bitrate of source and transcodes if max audio bitrate exceeded.
Compares audio_br and max_audio_br and uses the lower of the
two bitrates to ensure a tivo compatible bitrate is used.
MAX_AUDIO_BR may be specified in conf to override defaults.
MAX_AUDIO_BR is both a 'Server' and 'Per Tivo' option.
You should be able to ignore this setting unless you want to test high audio bitrates. It should not interfere with, or transcode, recordings that you pulled off the Tivo and are sending back. It's mainly to ensure that very high bitrate external sources get downsampled to a bitrate the tivo can actually play.

MPEG VIDEO COMPATIBILITY:
Expands use of existing setting MAX_VIDEO_BR=17408K.
Checks video bitrate of source and transcodes if max video bitrate is exceeded.
MAX_VIDEO_BR may be specified in conf to override default.
MAX_VIDEO_BR is a 'Server' option.
This function, was added so that high bitrate mpegs from sources like HD/Blueray DVD's will be automatically transcoded due to their very high bitrates, rather than be recognized as a tivo compatible mpeg. It should not interfere with, or transcode, HD recordings that you pulled off the Tivo and are sending back. But if you wish to do so, lowering this setting to 13000k should force most HD .mpg files to be transcoded.

TIVO AUDIO CODEC COMPATIBILITY:
Checks for HD tivo and uses ac3 audio automatically so that
5.1 audio is retained, if present in the source.
Otherwise, mp2 audio is used for S2 compatibility.
User may still override by specifying their own ffmpeg template.
This was added in response to complaints about losing 5.1 audio.

Note: includes wmcbrines photo and music updates.

Last edited by wgw : 01-12-2008 at 05:24 AM. Reason: EDIT: updated Url and removed unnecessary hdtivosonly option.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #1587
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Did you see my debug output for the music section? FWIW, it looks like it was trying to do some kind of video stuff with it.
I saw it, but I can't explain it.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #1588
MasterCephus

wgw, could you zip that up and upload it to mediafire or PM me and I will post it on mediafire?

There are a lot of people who dont'/won't use git to get a working copy...while that's good for development, it's not really good for software distribution (IMO of course) for people who are not developers....

Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #1589
dlfl
Cranky old novice

wgw,
Does your git fork merge in wmcbrine's plugins?

and
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #1590
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan View Post
Cool, I have a patch that will fix this, but I need to figure out what armooo did with the subfolders svn. I dont see it in git either.
It's there. You can see it from http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo.git . Try this:

git clone git://armooo.net/pyTivo.git
cd pyTivo
git checkout origin/subfolders-8.3

I'm new to git myself, so I'm not sure this is the right way to go about it, but it seems to work.