TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #91
Joybob

Very bad news.

Despite assurances that HD channels would function on both cable cards, the engineer has told me that the company is still having meetings to decided WHETHER OR NOT to allow Cablecards to access HD channels.

I'll be filing a complaint with the regulatory commision this week asking for restitution for the last 6 months my cable bill, a hefty fine for the cable company, that Onelink be forced to obey the mandate and finally that the price of cablecards be set at a reasonable rate as defined by the FCC.

I recomend that everyone else who has had to deal with these people do the same.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:14 AM   #92
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
Despite assurances that HD channels would function on both cable cards, the engineer has told me that the company is still having meetings to decided WHETHER OR NOT to allow Cablecards to access HD channels.

I'll be filing a complaint with the regulatory commision this week asking for restitution for the last 6 months my cable bill, a hefty fine for the cable company, that Onelink be forced to obey the mandate and finally that the price of cablecards be set at a reasonable rate as defined by the FCC.

I recomend that everyone else who has had to deal with these people do the same.
So, what happened? Did they install 2 CableCards without HD access? Decided not to install the CableCards? If they did install them, did they say how much they would charge you?

Its a shame they are so shortsighted...

Let's keep up the fight, I still have hopes they will come around eventually and give us our CableCards, even if they do it as an exception to their "rules"...
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

crabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #93
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post
So, what happened? Did they install 2 CableCards without HD access? Decided not to install the CableCards? If they did install them, did they say how much they would charge you?

Its a shame they are so shortsighted...

Let's keep up the fight, I still have hopes they will come around eventually and give us our CableCards, even if they do it as an exception to their "rules"...
They installed 2 cards without HD access, told us that they're having meetings to decide whether or not to allow HD access to Cablecards and we told them to keep the cards since it would basically be a waste to buy a HDTV, HDTivo, Sorround Sound system only to not have HD channels.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:03 AM   #94
crabell

Quote:
They installed 2 cards without HD access, told us that they're having meetings to decide whether or not to allow HD access to Cablecards and we told them to keep the cards since it would basically be a waste to buy a HDTV, HDTivo, Sorround Sound system only to not have HD channels.
I understand your position, however when you take this up with the "Junta Reglamentadora de las Telecomunicaciones", it may look like OneLink "tried to resolve the situation" and you did not accept it.

I would have kept the cards to get the second tuner working and continue fighting to get the HD channels authorized, which is something that can be done over the phone if they choose to.

It's too bad it didn't come out like you expected...

Good luck to all of us!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Last edited by crabell : 12-21-2007 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Fixed Spelling Error
Old 12-21-2007, 07:15 PM   #95
Joybob

They're still forcing costumers to rent a ridiculously expensive machine to get access to certain channels which is highly illegal.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #96
bizzy

Can you cite specific statutes being violated?

Burger King charges too much for a hamburger, but its not illegal.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #97
Joybob

No statutes specifically but you could cite some precedents from the Ma Bell cases where it was illegal for the phone company to force you to buy a specific phone to get phone service.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #98
deleonju

This is just totally absurd.. :-(
deleonju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #99
Joybob

What is?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #100
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

If you live in PR, you know that complaining to local government and utilities is a useless venture unless you know someone who knows someone who knows the vice president of the company. But the FCC is federal, requires the cable company to provide functional cablecards, and knows the vice president of the company. Have you filed a complaint yet?
Old 12-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #101
Joybob

We've done all of that. I'll be filing a grievance(?) with the local regulatory commission this week or next week.

The good news is we've gotten them to supply multiple cablecards to Tivo owners.

The only thing we need now is access to HD channels.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:25 AM   #102
prpilot

Quote:
Very bad news.

I've filed my complaint at: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cib/fcc475.cfm
prpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:38 AM   #103
prpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
Can you cite specific statutes being violated?

Burger King charges too much for a hamburger, but its not illegal.
bizzy, you are kidding right?? How about Title III of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 ? Specifically Sec 304...
Old 12-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #104
prpilot

Joybob,

Onelink only wants to give me 1 CableCARD. Who did you write a letter to in order to receive two cable cards ?

Quote:
We've done all of that. I'll be filing a grievance(?) with the local regulatory commission this week or next week.

The good news is we've gotten them to supply multiple cablecards to Tivo owners.

The only thing we need now is access to HD channels.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #105
prpilot

Hi Joybob,

How did you take the cablecard out from the 8300HD DVR? Looks like I need a special kind of screwdriver? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Let me know.

Quote:
The interesting thing is that if you were to take a CableCard from their $30 a month DVR and stick it in the S3, all Premium/HD channels work perfectly. No pixelation, no dropouts, no missing channels, nothing. Which is what I would recomend you do for the moment, just need a screwdriver.

Last edited by prpilot : 12-30-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #106
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpilot View Post
Hi Joybob,

How did you take the cablecard out from the DVR. Looks like I need a special kind of screwdriver? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Let me know.
There's a button immediately adjacent to the slot. Push it in and it'll pop out, then push it in again and it'll pop the card out slightly and you can then grabit with your fingertips and pull it out completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #107
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
There's a button immediately adjacent to the slot. Push it in and it'll pop out, then push it in again and it'll pop the card out slightly and you can then grabit with your fingertips and pull it out completely.
You will have to use a hex key or allen key to open up the thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_key

Then the cablecard pops out once you push the button next to it, as dswallow points out.

Last edited by Joybob : 12-30-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #108
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You will have to use a hex key or allen key to open up the thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_key

Then the cablecard pops out once you push the button next to it, as dswallow points out.
There's no need for that. It's just a plastic button that latches in a storage position; just push on it with your finger and it pops out to an active position, then push on it with your finger again and it pushes the card out of the slot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #109
bizzy

I think they're talking about the cableco dvr, and not a Tivo
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #110
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
I think they're talking about the cableco dvr, and not a Tivo
Ahh, gotcha. Missed that.

Many cable systems pre-inventory CableCARDs in their own equipment so they don't have to do any of the normal CableCARD data authorization collection and as such there's no way for them to change any of that data if you try to move the card into another device.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #111
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Ahh, gotcha. Missed that.

Many cable systems pre-inventory CableCARDs in their own equipment so they don't have to do any of the normal CableCARD data authorization collection and as such there's no way for them to change any of that data if you try to move the card into another device.
What do you mean by that?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #112
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
What do you mean by that?
As an example, here in Comcast territory the Scientific Atlanta boxes come with the CableCARD installed. The Host ID, CableCARD ID and card serial number are pre-inventoried by Comcast and stored with the information about the Scientific Atlanta receiver under its serial number. All a CSR can do is add or remove the receiver by serial number. They cannot change the Host ID associated with the CableCARD. This essentially makes the CableCARD inseparable from the receiver since it'd be completely non-functional in any other device without those numbers being updated... and only some internal department that handles the receivers when they come from the manufacturer (or presumably when they go through repair) can update the info.

So the card may as well be superglued into the receiver for as useful as it is as a separate CableCARD, at least from Comcast.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #113
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You need to read more than the last page, d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post
I had one CableCard working on my S3, but without the HD Channels...

I took my SA8300HD CableBox and exhanged it for an SA8300HDC, which has one M-Card. I took it out just like Joybob and put it on my S3's empty slot and IT WORKED! HD channels and all!

Since I've read you should have the M-Card on the 1st slot I switched them and they still worked. Any idea when M-Cards will be fully supported on the S3?

Apparently my cable company does not pair the CableCards to the Host ID or something, all I know is that it works.

I ran the Guided Setup again and I got by second tuner working, BUT I still can't het the HD channels working using my original S-Card, which is kind of confusing, since apparently I can't tell the TiVo I have different channels on each CableCard and I can only "figure out" which CableCard I'm using by switching channels and noting if the HD channels work or not... the TiVo does not know the difference and will gladly record a black image for the length of the recording. Is there a workaround for this?

I guess I'm happy for now, but I'm still paying for equipment I'm not using (the SA8300HDC)...

On the bright side, when I went to exchanged my CableBox I asked the Tech Support guy about getting the HD channels using the S-Card and he said the company has already ordered the "New CableCards", which would enable the HD Channels and are supposed to be two-way (for pay-per-view, etc). He even went ahead and wrote my email address on the system so I would get an email when the new cards arrive... Let's see what happens.

Thanks Joybob!

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #114
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

looks like d smeeked.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #115
prpilot

Update:

I went to OneLink today at 8:30am (seemed like I was the first customer there) to exchange my 8300HD for an 8300HDC. Unfortunately, the "system was down" so I had to leave and come back later.

At 10:20am, I went back, waited 5 mins and asked for a new box "hopefully, one of the new ones". The rep went to the back, came back in 2 mins and gave me a used 8300HDC.

I came back home, connected it and it worked. I unplugged the 8300HDC, took out the M-card as described by Joybob and crabell, put it into my TiVo HD, ran Guided Setup again, and voila!! All premium and HD channels work just fine!

Now if I could just get rid of the box so I wouldn't have to pay the monthly fee!!! Thanks all for your help! 'deleonju', they are open until 5pm today if you want to try and get an 8300HDC. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #116
prpilot

Today's update:

An article was printed in the newspaper saying that OneLink is not offering high definition channels over CableCARD because no one has asked for it. Of course, this is a lie since at least 4 of us have asked for it in the last year or so. Luis Rodriguez, a customer service representative in the OneLink Hato Rey office even told me today that someone had asked "last week for an M-card with high definition for my TiVo". So clearly there's some massive miscommunication going on.

I suggest everyone clip today's article (San Juan Star, in the Business section) and take it personally to the Hato Rey office and ask to talk to Luis Rodriguez (he sits in cube #8).

Good luck to us all.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 AM   #117
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpilot View Post
I suggest everyone clip today's article (San Juan Star, in the Business section) and take it personally to the Hato Rey office and ask to talk to Luis Rodriguez (he sits in cube #8).
Is the article available online? Can someone scan this?

Thanks!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #118
prpilot

Here's the article

Here you go!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SJStarOneLinkCableCARD_Edit_1.jpg (73.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #119
Bumbestia

Does anyone have any update on the Cable Card and HD Channels issue with OneLink in Puerto Rico? I want to buy a Tivo HD here at my local Costco but I want the HD channels!!! any update? I now they are required by Law to Give the cards and they Do!! but what about the HD Channels?
Bumbestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:33 AM   #120
prpilot

Hi Bumbestia,

As per the newspaper article, you have to request HD channels and they'll give it to you. Onelink is supposed to call me this week for a status update. But the more people that pester them the better!!

Call them and tell them "Layra Zapata" asked you to call.