TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2007, 09:33 AM   #31
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

pyTivo M3U support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
OK, the way it works is, an M3U is treated as a pseudo-folder, with a MIME type of "x-tivo-container/playlist". I'm gonna need a little more code to deal with this, but I should have it working shortly.
Here's my first stab at it. This needs a lot of work yet (for instance, it doesn't honor ItemCount; but you should be OK as long as your M3U has no more than eight items), but I managed to listen to an Internet radio station with the URL delivered by pyTivo. (It won't work yet with local files in the M3U; that's another thing to fix.) Note that pyTivo only provides the URL; the Tivo accesses the Internet server directly.

This is in the same form as my Photo module -- just unzip it in your pyTivo directory. It overwrites your existing Music module.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pyTivo-music-playlists-0.1.zip (2.9 KB, 10 views)
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #32
grahamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
It should work with the stereo mix device. Follow GumboChief's instructions up to the point of your screenshot.

But before closing the properties window, enable "Stereo Mix" under "Show the following volume controls:". Then continue following GumboChief's directions to make sure "Stereo Mix" is the active recording device (not microphone).
Hi, thanks for this. But I presume that this still ties up the PC's audio. Meaning that while the application is feeding audio to the Tivo I cannot use the PC's audio - let's say for playing a different music source.

But my biggest annoyance was that on my PC I have 3x windows that have to be remain active. Or is this just my installation that I did wrong or something?
grahamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #33
GumboChief

Correct. Whatever sound plays on your pc (even if speakers are muted) will come out via the speakers connected to Tivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamg View Post
Hi, thanks for this. But I presume that this still ties up the PC's audio. Meaning that while the application is feeding audio to the Tivo I cannot use the PC's audio - let's say for playing a different music source.

But my biggest annoyance was that on my PC I have 3x windows that have to be remain active. Or is this just my installation that I did wrong or something?

GumboChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #34
grahamg

Quote:
Here's my first stab at it. This needs a lot of work yet (for instance, it doesn't honor ItemCount; but you should be OK as long as your M3U has no more than eight items), but I managed to listen to an Internet radio station with the URL delivered by pyTivo. (It won't work yet with local files in the M3U; that's another thing to fix.) Note that pyTivo only provides the URL; the Tivo accesses the Internet server directly.

This is in the same form as my Photo module -- just unzip it in your pyTivo directory. It overwrites your existing Music module.
Wow! Thanks, I have already renamed my old music folder and dropped yours in and restarted Pytivo. Now I only have to wait for "permission" to try it out (wifes watching something right now.....(:

You will see from my earlier posts that my desire is to get XM radio on the Tivo. The other program that I tried :- http://www.watty.com/myprograms/hmesatradio.html
Isn't really to my taste.

But I realise that because XM radio 1st asks for a user name and password that this is likely to be a programming effort. The other route to XM appears to be via AOL.com who have their own player.

I was hoping that I might be able to select a few XM channels, ie just the ones that I am interested in and somehow obtain direct access to them.

I have another question about the Python enviroment. I am impressed with what can be done but cannot seem to get a handle on how to use it. Question. Is there a good IDE out there that would help me use Python?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #35
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
you should be OK as long as your M3U has no more than eight items
Uh, make that one item. But here's a version that works correctly. It covers local and remote files, and skips comments. Still to do: PLS, other playlist formats; extended M3U info.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pyTivo-music-playlists-0.2.zip (3.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by wmcbrine : 12-23-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #36
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
But I realise that because XM radio 1st asks for a user name and password that this is likely to be a programming effort.
Well, there's nothing necessarily difficult about it needing a password, apart from the fact that I don't have an XM account myself. But does it stream as MP3? If not, then yes, it would be a much bigger effort.

Quote:
I have another question about the Python enviroment. I am impressed with what can be done but cannot seem to get a handle on how to use it. Question. Is there a good IDE out there that would help me use Python?
Sorry, I'm not an IDE guy; I use a text editor. I understand there are a few IDEs available, but I can't advise on them.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #37
greg_burns
Now in HD

Hmm. I just got pyTivo (v208) working so that I could play mp3s. Now, I am ready to try out your plug-in. But after copying the files into place I now get this error...
Code:
snip
I have just one .mp3 file in c:\music folder.

From pyTivo.conf...
Code:
[MyMusic]
type=music
path=c:\music

Last edited by greg_burns : 12-23-2007 at 02:18 PM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #38
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Hmm. I just got pyTivo (v208) working so that I could play mp3s. Now, I am ready to try out your plug-in.
You need a more recent version. The plug-in interface has changed, so it won't work with older versions.

The latest version is at the top of the downloads page on pytivo.armooo.net... some refer to it as "d4219" (for the first few digits after the date), though I like to think of it as "1209" (the date). Some of the earlier versions will also work, but I'm not sure how far back (not as far back as 2.08, anyway).
Old 12-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #39
greg_burns
Now in HD

Ok. I just upgraded, but haven't installed your code yet. Now I can see the mp3 file on my Tivo, but when I click play the background color goes black for a moment. Then back to blue and nothing happens. Weird.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #40
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The music module doesn't work in the most recent version on Windows. But if you install my version of the module over it, it should fix that.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #41
grahamg

Quote:
The music module doesn't work in the most recent version on Windows. But if you install my version of the module over it, it should fix that.
Like Greg I was using V208, I had tried a few of the PyTivo-2007-11-xx versions but they never seemed to work well and I always reverted back to V208. I do not know the difference between the Master and SubFolders version either.

Anyway, today I have installed pyTivo-2007-12-09-master-d42194527ba4796a8afd6bba586ded94df0d8c7a.zip, and inserted your updated Music module and viola everything looks good (5 minutes of intensive testing ).

MP3's play fine and I do see a little Radio logo which plays the MP3 stream off the internet.

Info for Greg, I created a test file
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,KKJZ 88.1FM
http://www.live365.com/play/kkjz1 

named it 88FM.m3u and placed it in my music folder.
PyTivo gets better and better. Now I will try the XM radio thing

A hearty thanks for your help in making this item happen!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #42
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 0.3

Skips blank lines in .m3u's, and removes the counterproductive playable_cache.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pyTivo-music-playlists-0.3.zip (3.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-24-2007, 12:52 AM   #43
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 0.4

This version supports '.pls' as well as '.m3u'... also '.b4s' (not tested; I don't have any), '.asx' (and '.wax' and '.wvx'), and '.ram'. Still just the URLs, no extra information yet.

I did the .asx family because the Tivo Desktop documentation claims to support .asx, but I don't think the Tivo itself supports either mms:// URLs or .asf/.wma files, which is mostly what you'll find in .asx playlists. And I threw in .ram because it was trivial, but the same problems apply (no support for rtsp://, pnm://, or .ra/.rm, AFAICT). If you don't want these files cluttering up your directory listing, you can remove the extensions from PLAYLISTS near the top of music.py.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pyTivo-music-playlists-0.4.zip (4.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-25-2007, 03:42 AM   #44
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 0.5

This version sorts the playlists separately from the MP3's, like Tivo Desktop. It's also a bit faster.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pyTivo-music-playlists-0.5.zip (4.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-25-2007, 11:04 PM   #45
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 0.6

This supports the extra Title and Duration data in .m3u and .pls playlists (though not in .b4s or .asx).
Attached Files
File Type: zip pyTivo-music-playlists-0.6.zip (4.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #46
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 0.7

Just as well no one downloaded version 0.6 -- it had a stupid bug, and I didn't test it thoroughly. (I renamed a variable, and missed one reference.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip pyTivo-music-playlists-0.7.zip (4.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by wmcbrine : 12-26-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #47
grahamg

Quote:
Just as well no one downloaded version 0.6 -- it had a stupid bug, and I didn't test it thoroughly. (I renamed a variable, and missed one reference.)
I appreciate you working on this!

My Tivo's original 40gb H.Drive has failed. I have replaced that drive with what was the secondary drive, using an old version of instantcake to install it. Everything is working, but not pytivo. My Tivo is running ver 5.3 now and I don't know when it will get upgraded to the current version. Possibly I need to call Tivo and ask for it? - I'm not sure.

One thing I did realize is how much we depended on the Tivo!

Anyway here's wishing anyone who reads the message "Happy Holidays" !
Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #48
grahamg

Quote:
You can force connection to mother ship from the network menu. It will take just a couple connects and it will download latest software.
Thanks Greg, I must have done this because this morning it is up to v9.x and pytivo etc is also working.

I also installed WMC's ver 06 and that seems fine, but I do see problems on the video side. I will post later and describe what's wrong.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #49
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
I also installed WMC's ver 06 and that seems fine, but I do see problems on the video side. I will post later and describe what's wrong.
I would post in the monster pyTivo thread. Get a lot more help that way.

Keep this thread for XM ideas/solutions.

Edit: And streaming audio/radio of course wmcbrine!

Last edited by greg_burns : 12-27-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #50
grahamg

Quote:
I would post in the monster pyTivo thread. Get a lot more help that way.

Keep this thread for XM ideas/solutions.

Edit: And streaming audio/radio of course wmcbrine!
Yes. thats what I was thinking. I was wondering, the title of this chain is now a bit off subject, I notice that if I go to my very first post I do have the possibility of changing the title to (say) "Streaming Radio / audio via PyTivo" This would fit the overall subject better. But If I did this would that mess things up?

wmcbrine ( could it be William ? C Brine?) - good work btw!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #51
grahamg

Comments on pyTivo-music-playlists-0.7.zip by wmcbrine

I have tried this with mixed success. The mp3 files on the PC run fine and I can see the additional title + duration etc. But my streaming radio .m3u files no longer run. I get "an unexpected error occurred while accessing the server" (error #3.0.65535)
Code:
file name
virgin.m3u containing
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:Virgin Radio 128
http://mp3-vr-128.smgradio.com:80/listen.pls

the other
radio88.m3u containing
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:KKJZ 88.1FM
I am not sure if the virgin one worked before, but radio88 did. Both work correctly using winamp on the PC.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #52
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Yes. thats what I was thinking. I was wondering, the title of this chain is now a bit off subject, I notice that if I go to my very first post I do have the possibility of changing the title to (say) "Streaming Radio / audio via PyTivo" This would fit the overall subject better. But If I did this would that mess things up?
IIRC, you can change the title of a thread, but it doesn't change it on the forum page itself, only inside the thread. Kinda wonky.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #53
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

William McBrine. My name and email address are at the top of my photo.py, BTW.

Quote:
Comments on pyTivo-music-playlists-0.7.zip by wmcbrine

I have tried this with mixed success. The mp3 files on the PC run fine and I can see the additional title + duration etc. But my streaming radio .m3u files no longer run. I get "an unexpected error occurred while accessing the server" (error #3.0.65535)
Code:
file name
virgin.m3u containing
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:Virgin Radio 128
http://mp3-vr-128.smgradio.com:80/listen.pls

the other
radio88.m3u containing
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:KKJZ 88.1FM
I am not sure if the virgin one worked before, but radio88 did. Both work correctly using winamp on the PC.
The Virgin one wouldn't have worked before -- you've got one playlist redirecting to another there. That's something I'm planning to support, but I haven't done it yet.

As far as KKJZ, I was going to say that I have that exact file (copied from post #41), and it works for me. But then I looked more closely, and I saw that the duration info is missing from the ones in #51. They should be like "#EXTINF:-1,KKJZ 88.1FM". Leaving out the duration makes the parser fail. (The version from post #41 is correct. Did you actually recreate it?)

I'll make this fail more gracefully, so it will still work (it'll just ignore the EXTINF line if it's malformed).

Last edited by wmcbrine : 12-27-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #54
grahamg

Quote:
William McBrine. My name and email address are at the top of my photo.py, BTW.

The Virgin one wouldn't have worked before -- you've got one playlist redirecting to another there. That's something I'm planning to support, but I haven't done it yet.

I'll make this fail more gracefully, so it will still work.
Hi!, wmcbrine just sounds impersonal somehow. But good name, we have a son called William, my grandfather too.

On the "-1," thing, it is my mistake, I read another post which implied that it wasn't needed. Title "Internet Radio???" 05-21-2007, 04:09 PM by Dan203. http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5787882&highlight=%23EXTINF%3A-1%2CKKJZ+88.1FM#post5787882
I suspect that I removed the "-1," and tried it with Winamp (it works), but didn't get around to trying it with Pytivo. I have just re-inserted it and not surprising it works. Sorry, I should have looked closer.

I was just looking at the BBC feeds and see that they use RealPlayer format which doesn't sound compatible. Tivo only handles mp3 right?

Question is there a way to make the link above more elegant ie. shorter, yet perform the same action?

Last edited by grahamg : 12-27-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #55
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Question is there a way to make the link above more elegant ie. shorter, yet perform the same action?
There is a button on the reply to thread screen with a globe and a link under it.

Type a word, then highlight it and click that button. Paste your link in the popup box. Done.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #56
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
On the "-1," thing, it is my mistake, I read another post which implied that it wasn't needed. Title "Internet Radio???" 05-21-2007, 04:09 PM by Dan203.
I'd read that it was required. But notice that although he omitted the -1, he kept the comma. That's crucial, because it puts the title into the second field rather the first. I can make that work, too.

Quote:
I was just looking at the BBC feeds and see that they use RealPlayer format which doesn't sound compatible. Tivo only handles mp3 right?
Yes. Of course, the PC could transcode...

Quote:
Yeah, use the "[ url ]" tag (without the spaces) around the phrase you want to link, instead of just typing the URL. If you go back and edit the message, you'll see that vBulletin has done this automatically.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #57
saramj

Quote:
Have read through this thread and at times have used the XM radio program with mixed success. However does this new pug in for pytivo stream XM???
If so how?????
saramj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #58
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramj View Post
Have read through this thread and at times have used the XM radio program with mixed success. However does this new pug in for pytivo stream XM???
No, sorry. I probably should've started a new thread.

(Hey moderators, if it's not too much trouble, could you separate these into a new thread? #31, #35, #37-#47, #50-#56, and #59, I think.)

Last edited by wmcbrine : 12-28-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #59
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 0.8

-- Add support for .wpl playlists, generated by Windows Media Player (note that this isn't in Tivo Desktop)
-- Relative paths weren't being handled correctly unless the playlist was in the top directory of the share
-- Allow for malformed EXTINF lines in .m3u

Sadly, I also saw my first #5-6 errors with this module (the error is "#3-5-6" from the music player, but I'm sure it's the same problem as #5-6 in photos). Not that they wouldn't have happened before; I just hadn't been testing in Windows much.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pyTivo-music-playlists-0.8.zip (4.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-29-2007, 12:45 AM   #60
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 0.9

This fixes the shuffle mode, and allows for Unicode filenames etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pyTivo-music-playlists-0.9.zip (5.0 KB, 27 views)