TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #1651
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularguy View Post
My 3-year-old RS-TX20 got very sick last night and now seems to be on life-support. At first the picture was doing an "ok for 10 seconds, then frozen for 5 seconds, then ok for 10 seconds" thing. Now it's cycling through "re-start and boot-up" continually, with the boot-up cartoon doing the the freeze-up routine.

I found an authorized Toshiba repair place in my area, but since it's long out of warranty I'll be paying for the repair. If not for the lifetime Tivo contract on the unit, I'd probably just toss it and get a new Series 2 ($80-some at Amazon).

Anyone been in my situation? How did it turn out? (I'm guessing I have a screwed up hard-drive.)
It does sound like a hard drive issue. Are you handy with computers? You can buy a already formatted drive from various sources and just pop it in yourself. I just did this with my RSTX60 and fixed all it's issues and got a massive hard drive to boot. I got my drive from Weaknees, but there are several other sources. If you are very geeky you can even format a drive yourself. Maybe somebody here will offer some details on how to do that.

It is possible that you have a bad power supply. Those are also available online. I have heard some negative things about Toshiba service, so if you go that route good luck.

I just found this thread, it has some helpful information:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=372111

Last edited by Welshdog : 11-25-2007 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Link Added
Welshdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #1652
regularguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post
It does sound like a hard drive issue. Are you handy with computers? You can buy a already formatted drive from various sources and just pop it in yourself. I just did this with my RSTX60 and fixed all it's issues and got a massive hard drive to boot. I got my drive from Weaknees, but there are several other sources. If you are very geeky you can even format a drive yourself. Maybe somebody here will offer some details on how to do that.
Thanks for the advice! I just sent off for a new hard drive from Weaknees. Installation looks very straight-forward. (The "authorized Toshiba repair shop" declined to even look at it, acting like they never heard of the RS-TX20.)
regularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #1653
slyone

Hey guys..and girls I just bought a bunch of Tivo units and am thinking that maybe I should think about installing a new and maybe even larger hdd on my RS-TX20 since it has that incredible "Lifetime basic" subscription...what do you think? What drives are compatible and any "easy guides" to replacing the hdd? Thanks ever so much, peace!
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #1654
azitnay

Any EIDE drive is compatible.

http://www.mfslive.org/ contains all the tools and information you should need.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #1655
Mikeguy

You also may want to check on eBay. I bought a hard drive from a seller there who does this as a business, and he did all the TIVO software preparations for me as part of his offering, which, in the end due to his great pricing, did not add appreciably (or possibly at all) to the price of the drive, which he had "on sale."
Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #1656
slyone

Hey that's wonderful guys, Thanks alot!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #1657
volsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldradio99 View Post
I have the above unit and I tried to burn a DVD for the first time in a few month

I am getting an error that all it says it cannot burn the DVD due to an internal error.

I used my DVD cleaner and still the same issue

Any suggestions and is this repairable?

I love my Toshiba
Unplug the unit for ~5 mins, then plug it back in. My TX20 fails a burn occasionally due to the "internal error", but this always fixes it. Good luck.
volsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #1658
nateman96

Software Update issues

I am having some problems with a software update. When I go to connect to TIVO service it says "Wait till 2am". I restarted the TIVO, I also went back through the Guided Setup, has anyone seen the same problem? I have a wireless adapter attached to the TIVO. Thanks.
nateman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #1659
slyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateman96 View Post
I am having some problems with a software update. When I go to connect to TIVO service it says "Wait till 2am". I restarted the TIVO, I also went back through the Guided Setup, has anyone seen the same problem? I have a wireless adapter attached to the TIVO. Thanks.
Yea that happened to me the other night trying to force an update on my TivoHD! I unplugged the Tivo for a minute and eventually got the update installed...as I recall
Old 12-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #1660
slyone

Is it possible to use this unit with it's "lifetime basic" subscription for the TivoHD lifetime transfer for $199.00?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #1661
azitnay

No, TiVo Basic is simply what's included with the unit, and isn't transferrable anywhere. You'd need a lifetime subscription to TiVo Plus to be able to transfer it.

Drew
Old 12-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #1662
slyone

Darn! Oh well...Thanks for the prompt response
Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #1663
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Question Problem Scheduling Programs

I just recently replaced/upgraded the hard drive in my TX-20, and now I'm sitting here and trying to figure out why I am only able to program only what's scheduled on TV for tonight. I can't even program Survivor for tomorrow night?? Why is that?

On "Find Programs" at the bottom is a black box that says "Today's program info available now, more info is on the way". Does it usually take that long to schedule programming?

I have Tivo Lifetime.
tunabeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #1664
windracer
joined the 10k club

Sounds like your unit is either still indexing the guide data or needs to complete a call and download more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:34 AM   #1665
DerCormeister

I've got a RS-TX60 with TiVo Lifetime subscription. TiVo's official policy appears to be that they transfer lifetime subscriptions only in limited circumstances. (Although I have an extended warranty through Mack, I'm sure the factory warranty is expired by now.)

I just got an HDTV, and I'm surprised at how bad my picture is compared to what it could be (even standard definition broadcasts look noticeably worse going through TiVo at "Best Quality" than the same signal going directly into the TV). I'd like to view everything I can in HD, so I'm considering getting an HD TiVo.

Questions:

1. The fact that TiVo degrades standard definition signals worries me that an HD TiVo would do the same. Will it?

2. Since my current TiVo came with TiVo Basic service, I'd like to transfer the Lifetime Service to a new TiVo and use the RS-TX60 in another room. Is there any possibility of getting TiVo to transfer my Lifetime Service? I don't fit into the three categories I see at tivo.com (bought within 30 days, wrong # registered, or warranty still in effect), but I've heard they've made exceptions to that policy in the past.

3. If I can transfer the Lifetime Service, is there any way to activate Multi-Room Viewing between two TiVos, one with Basic and one with Lifetime?

4. If not, can anyone make a recommendation about where to get a good price for my RS-TX60 with Lifetime Service and a 4-year extended warranty?
DerCormeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 AM   #1666
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerCormeister View Post
1. The fact that TiVo degrades standard definition signals worries me that an HD TiVo would do the same. Will it?
For digital channels, the recording is captured in its original form, so no degradation occurs... However, even for analog channels, I think the general consensus is that the HD units do a lot better job at encoding than older units.

Quote:
2. Since my current TiVo came with TiVo Basic service, I'd like to transfer the Lifetime Service to a new TiVo and use the RS-TX60 in another room. Is there any possibility of getting TiVo to transfer my Lifetime Service? I don't fit into the three categories I see at tivo.com (bought within 30 days, wrong # registered, or warranty still in effect), but I've heard they've made exceptions to that policy in the past.
It's doubtful that you can get TiVo to do a straight-up transfer... If you purchased lifetime before October 1, 2003, you can transfer it to a new TiVo HD for $199 by taking advantage of the following offer:

http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-promo/show...etransfer.html

If not, since you're a current customer, I believe you can currently buy a new unit, buy lifetime on it for $399, and then sell your old unit to recoup some of the costs if you'd like.

Quote:
3. If I can transfer the Lifetime Service, is there any way to activate Multi-Room Viewing between two TiVos, one with Basic and one with Lifetime?
No, TiVo Basic doesn't allow MRV. You need to keep the unit subscribed to be able to utilize MRV (which you can do even if you transfer its lifetime).

Quote:
4. If not, can anyone make a recommendation about where to get a good price for my RS-TX60 with Lifetime Service and a 4-year extended warranty?
Probably eBay.

Drew
Old 12-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #1667
deshwasi

can someone here help me with a drive image for Toshiba RS-TX20? i am not getting any help in the image thread.
deshwasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #1668
windracer
joined the 10k club

PM sent.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #1669
ra610

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got a new Vizio 37" LCD and now need an HD box for a better picture. Charter is coming out this Saturday to swap out the digital box with an HD box. Will they be able to set up my Toshiba RS-TX20 Series 2 unit along with their HD box to the TV? Just bought the RS-TX20 and don’t want to lose the Tivo functionality. Hoping to get some guidance with proper set up and cables before cable guy shows up just in case they say it will not work. I know the Toshiba will not record an HD quality image, but still want the HD quality to come through on the TV from the Charter HD box. Tivo functionality OK in less than HD qaulity. Any suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated.
ra610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #1670
slyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra610 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got a new Vizio 37" LCD and now need an HD box for a better picture. Charter is coming out this Saturday to swap out the digital box with an HD box. Will they be able to set up my Toshiba RS-TX20 Series 2 unit along with their HD box to the TV? Just bought the RS-TX20 and donít want to lose the Tivo functionality. Hoping to get some guidance with proper set up and cables before cable guy shows up just in case they say it will not work. I know the Toshiba will not record an HD quality image, but still want the HD quality to come through on the TV from the Charter HD box. Tivo functionality OK in less than HD qaulity. Any suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated.
Let's see, there are 2 ways to set it up, the way I see it.
1st. You could have them setup their HD box normally and then put a coaxial line splitter right before the cable enters your Charter box(then run a short coaxial to charter box and another coaxial to your RS-TX20 then out to the Vizio) in effect you would have to sources/inputs to select on your Vizio.
2nd.run cable to RS-tx20 then to Charter then to Vizio and utilize your IR channel changer/serial cable thingy. The only dislike I have with that setup is it takes forever to change the channel on the cable providers'box.
With the first option, you would be able to record a station while still watching another thru your Charter box(HD watching too).

p.s. where did you ever find an RS-TX20 these days? must have been used....
Don't forget too..if you have problems with the Charter box (which I presume your renting) you could always return it and get yourself a TivoHD for around $200.00 + activation fees.

Last edited by slyone : 12-27-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #1671
ra610

Thanks for the prompt help slyone. Will both options allow me to see an HD quality picture and use the Tivo to pause, record, etc? Any suggestions for types/qulality of cables to use for these set up? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #1672
ra610

It was a used unit and has been working great. Bought it primarily for the Free Tivo basic. If I upgrade to TivoHD, I will have to pay for Tivo service. I like Free . . .
Old 12-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #1673
slyone

I had to reword above post(in red) as far as HD programming, as I recall...you will not be able to view this on the Tivo or control the pause etc. although not really sure??Maybe someone else would care to chime in on this one! As I recall, I had removed my RS-TX20 from system when I got HD programming,TivoHD and my Plasma. I'm not really sure as to the actual functioning of the RS-TX20 when configured within an HD environment? It seems the RS-TX20 would have to be in front of the HD box and I don't believe it will be able to interpret the signal........
If you split the signal then you would run your RS-TX20 to any available input on back of the Vizio leaving the "best" for the Charter HD signal (hopefully HDMI connector)and then if using HDMI you could use the next "best" component(3 seperate color cable)video or 3rd best RCA video cable for the RS-TX20. By doing this, you would change inputs on remote to view either source.
Cable quality;
1-best-HDMI (also carries audio)
2-next best-component video(3 seperate cables)+ rca for audio
3-better-RCA -1 video(yellow) and 2 audio(red/white)
4-basic-coaxial (video w/audio)

Last edited by slyone : 12-27-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #1674
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Your TiVo unit does not have a digital tuner and will not tune any digital or HD content. This means that you will not be able to use the TiVo to time shift any digital or HD content. In fact the picture from your TiVo will be noticably worse on your HD tv than the same channel from your cable box or even straight from the wall. It will not be terrible but you will notice it is lower qualiity. There are a few ways of connection the TiVo and the cable box.

1) cable from the wall to a splitter. From the splitter one output goes to the cable box, the other to the TiVo. Connect the cable from the box to one input on the tv (I assume it is using a HDMI cable) The TiVo can be connected several ways including coaxial, component or composite. Depending on your tv's inputs.

2) (this is assuming the cable box has a coaxial pass through output)`Cable from the from the wall to the cable box. Connect the cable box via the HDMI or Component cables. Connect the TiVo to the cable output of the cable box. Connect the TiVo to the TV via component or coaxial. This should give you the best picture quality.

3) Cable from the wall to your TiVo. From the TiVo coaxial pass through output to your cable box. From the TiVo to the component or coaxial input on the TV. From the HDMI on the cable box out to the HDMI on the TV. (This won't give you as good of an HD picture because of signal degradation by passing through the TiVo.

I am sure there are more ways, but these will probably give you the best results. Sorry for the long post.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #1675
ra610

Thanks for all the tips. Will try them out when I get my Charter HD cable box on Saturday
Old 01-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #1676
Rest

sticks on the "Welcome, powering up ..." screen.

MY Toshiba RS-TX simply sticks on the "Welcome, powering up ..." screen.

Thanks

Alex
Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #1677
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Classic "hard drive has died" problem. You need a hard drive image to burn to a new drive. Instant Cake from www.dvrupgrade.com will do the trick.
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #1678
Rest

Thanks will give it a try!

Alex
Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #1679
gardibolt

Same problem

So I've ordered from dvrupgrade and hope that will fix the problem. Thanks for the tip.
gardibolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #1680
czapiga82

im having the same problem with my tx20- what did you order for an upgrade? did it work?
czapiga82 is offline   Reply With Quote