Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2002, 11:00 AM   #1
mrcoaster
Tivomaniac

Question Bad audio from Tivo?

Hi.

Love my Tivo's....all 3 of them! Have an occasional problem from one though. The ATTivo. Had it a few months and every so often (probably around once a day for a total of an hour?), the audio becomes very tinny. A little high pitched squeal....not quite static, but sort of like the high pierced sound you might get at the edge of an AM radio signal? Don't know if this makes any sense, but.....

It only happens here and there. It might start up 20 mins into one show and run the rest of the show, but not happen again. Might start and then stop 20 mins later. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. It's not the cable. Like I said, I have 3 Tivos and it ONLY happens on recorded shows on the ATTivo and with live TV on that Tivo. It's an audio problem I have narrowed down to ONLY happening with that one. It's not so annoying that things are unwatchable, but it is annoying and makes it tough to work the sound. Loud enough so I can hear the dialogue, but not so loud as to get too much of the squeal.

Fortunately, it really doesn't happen much. Like I said....an hour, probably less total time during the day. Still, wondering if anybody else has ever had a problem like this or if there's a fix....besides sending it in?
Old 05-02-2002, 11:26 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... Well the Series 1 and Series 2 units do use different hardware so it's possible that the Series 2 unit is picking up interference that your two Series 1 units are ignoring.

Next time it happens during live TV try changing the channel and then changing it back. If it's still there then you know it's some sort of outside interference. If not then there is probably something wrong with your TiVo and you may have to send it in for exchange/repair.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 12:39 PM   #3
gmarch

As posted in another thread, I have the same situation.

I have narrowed it down to the fact that the TiVo Series 2 is recording while I am watching.

When the recording is over, the tinny sound goes away.

I was recording at High and Medium quality.

My s/w is 2.0.1. I have the audio coming in from the audio out of my analog Cablevision cable box (cft-2000 I think) and going through a Yamaha RXV995.

/greg
gmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 03:05 PM   #4
crc

I had this problem with my Series 2 TiVo (not AT&T - the 60 hour one) when I first got it. I think somebody else here aptly described it as listening to people talking through a kazoo. It was intermittent -- not every recording had the problem.

After suffering through a few recordings, I finally just rebooted the thing. That was about a month ago. Since then, I haven't had any problems (cross fingers, knock on wood...).
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 11:59 AM   #5
rinse78

AT&T Series 2 audio distortion

I am having the exact same problem. I have had 2 AT&T series 2 boxes now. The first one I had to send back because color blobs were appearing all over the screen. My new one now has this audio problem. It sounds like everyone is talking through a kazoo. It doesn't happen all of the time, but enough to make it annoying. If anybody has a solution to this problem, please post.
rinse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 04:49 PM   #6
aressa

I've seen a few of these "Bad Audio" threads, and I'd like to mention that I have never encoutered the "Tinny" problem, BUT, on some shows the audio level is VERY low. I've noticed it the most on animation (but it may be the CHANNEL, not the show: Cartoon Network).

Any ideas? I was going to wait for 3.0 and see if that fixes it (since it is not a huge problem, just turn up the audio).

A
aressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 06:33 PM   #7
robbham

Arrow my series2 is displaying this behavior, too

this problem is happening on my series2 as well. i've got 3.0. changing the channel doesn't help. anyone know of a fix? this is really awful.
robbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 07:22 PM   #8
robbham

i just spoke with tivo customer support...

they have not heard of the problem before. i'd recommend everyone with this problem contact tivo to alert them of the issue. plus, they'll be able to provide you with a case number regarding the problem (which will cover you in the event you need a new tivo, etc.).
Old 06-02-2002, 10:54 PM   #9
waruwaru
Ultrasensitive

I also have an AT&T Tivo, and I have seen the problem you are talking about. Sometimes the sound from Tivo is alot lower. In my setup, I connected my Tivo's RCA out (not S-video) to the TV, and I also connected the Tivo's coax out to the VCR so I can tape Tivo recordings. Anyways, when I have the sound problem, I switched the TV input to VCR to see if the same problem exist. Interestingly, it seems that the sound level from the VCR is fine. So, to me, I think it's a problem on the RCA output circuit. Other observations/opinions?

Waruwaru
waruwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 02:36 PM   #10
topolski
Can't Remember

I have experienced this for the first time today, on programs that were recorded last night. It happened again as I was watching a program that I was recording, so I called this in today.

It occurred as I was recording "All The President's Men." Although the program started fine, about 45 minutes into the program, the audio became tinny and funny, like someone was talking through a kazoo. Pass-through audio was fine (verified by setting the system on "Stdby").

They had me switch from Composite inputs to Cable and back, no change. This switch caused the recording to stop, although it was still tinny (no change).

They then had me remove the power (as it was recording!!) and then plug it back in 15 seconds later. (Wow, is that really safe?)

After the box rebooted, the audio was fine. I'm not convinced that I fixed anything at all -- I'm pretty sure I'll see the problem back again.

I have an unmodified AT&T Broadband-branded Series 2 Box running software version 2.0.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AT&T-branded TiVo (Series 2)
Modified for additional disk space
Lifetime subscription
topolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 03:42 PM   #11
topolski
Can't Remember

Question Last restart

It occurs to me to ask, for anyone else reporting this problem, when their last reboot/restart was?

The reason I'm asking is I did restart my TiVo yesterday, after seeing "Pending Restart" ... and then the problem started to happen.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:06 PM   #12
mike11530

Angry

Gang,

Y'all are not imagining things. I am pretty frustrated myself.

I'm on my THIRD Series 2 - I had to bring two DOA Series 2's back to the store. I'm 95% finished with the setup - registered with Tivo and everything. The box has been burned in for about two hours now, and just now, the audio is producing a "tinny sound." Just like everyone says, like someone is talking through a kazoo.

Some channels are worse than others, but all channels exhibit the bad audio. I switched from composite to RF cables, and the RF cables actually made it worse.

I'm connected via a Scientific Atlanta dig. cable box, and when I remove the Tivo unit from the equation, the audio is fine. So it definitely is the Tivo unit.

Someone from TIVO better address these quality issues - I'm way frustrated right now. Does anyone have any additional suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
mike11530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:39 PM   #13
mike11530

Red face

Gang,

Well, I'm back, and the misterious kazoo audio has gone away. I left the unit running (still burning it in), and it was 'kazooing' for about four hours.

These Tivo 2's are REALLY FLAKY.

Rgds,

Mike
mike11530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 03:16 PM   #14
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally posted by waruwaru
I also have an AT&T Tivo, and I have seen the problem you are talking about. Sometimes the sound from Tivo is alot lower.
Waruwaru
I see this consistently. I've got the TiVo connected via s-video to my new Sony STR-DE685 receiver and the audio to my TV which then goes back to the receiver (allows me to switch video inputs on my TV and still get the right sound). The volume level on the TiVo is considerably lower than the level from the receiver's tuner.

I mentioned this to a coworker who has a Sony STR-DE485 and a Direct TV TiVo and he's got the same issues.

Is the sound level on the TiVo adjustable? The receiver doesn't allow me to control the level until after I change the source and I can blast out my ears switching from the TV input to the tuner.

Thanks,
..../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 06:34 AM   #15
pting

I've had my TiVo only a few days now... I had this problem too right out of the box -- it was fairly constant, only going away (randomly) for short periods of time. I isolated it to the right channel of audio - disconnecting the right channel made it go away. It was definitely TiVo - RF input, S-video input and RCA input all ended up with the funny "talking like through a kazoo" sound. Audio through other means was always normal.

After reading about it on this board, I restarted the TiVo and the problem went away. We'll see how long it lasts without reappearing.

Anyone else found any more information or heard anything from Customer Service?

Paul
pting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:02 PM   #16
Ciannait
Generic Geek Girl

Quote:
Originally posted by topolski

They then had me remove the power (as it was recording!!) and then plug it back in 15 seconds later. (Wow, is that really safe?)
Yup. MFS is a journalling filesystem. This means it writes all changes to an "intent log", and when the TiVo boots it checks the intent log to see what data changes it hadn't committed yet, and either commits them to the filesystem, or clears the log. This means, you don't lose data, even when you unplug while it's recording. The worst that'll happen is that you'll have interrupted your recording!
Old 06-28-2002, 10:37 PM   #17
topolski
Can't Remember

So my problem mysteriously disappeared with a power-off, power-on reboot and has never resurfaced since. I guess that's the workaround.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AT&T-branded TiVo (Series 2)
Modified for additional disk space
Lifetime subscription
Old 07-06-2002, 07:29 PM   #18
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Question "Intermittent" "squealy" audio.......

Hi.

I have an AT&T TiVO that I bought in January. No problems at all. About five days ago I played back a recording and the audio sounded, how should I say this, squealy,almost a high pitched digitzed sound. I figured it was just that channel at the time of recording.

Then a few days later it happened at another time on a different channel.

Ruled interference from the air conditioner as it was not running the second time. No other appliances or anything that would appear to be causing interference.

Machine is no where near being too hot. Thanks to the rolled paper trick I have my TiVO operating at 42 degrees frm its previous, but supposedly safe high of 51.

Well, tonight while going into TiVO live TV, I heard the sound again. I channel flipped and it was on all channels. I did not try going to straight cable, but a restart did clear the noise. So its likely not the signal. I do have the cable split between my TV/VCR combo and the TiVO, but there is no signal amplifier or anything in the loop. I have not checked connections in the basement, but when I prepped for TiVO back in January, I made sure all my connections were solid.

I know there is another post in this forum about an audio hum a user was getting on one channel, but this seems different.

Anyone have ideas? I really don't feel anything drastic is wrong. There have been no other signs that would point to a major failure or issue, but I am still a little concerned nonetheless. Even though I am still well under warranty I would hate to be without my TiVO for too long......

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts..............

jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 01:06 AM   #19
JeremyH

Exclamation I also experienced this problem

I too have had this problem with my TIVO Series 2 box running v 3.0. One day I flipped on the TIVO and TV and noticed a high pitched hum and 'squeally audio' over the normal audio, on all channels. The problem sounded like signal dependent static (noise which followed the audio level). Initially, I thought I had a ground loop or something. So I stripped my system down to just the cable line, TV and TIVO. Connecting the line straight to TV produced clear audio. Going through the TIVO gave me the hum/squeal. I rebooted TIVO and the problem went away. I suspect the audio processor fixed itself during its re-initialization during reboot. It made me a little nervous, but I haven't had it since (3-4 weeks). If it is *fixable*, it would be wise to make these types of problems as visible as possible to TIVO engineers, detailing any information leading to the behavior.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 08:34 AM   #20
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Glad to know I am not alone. This makes feel a little better. However, is it a 3.0 thing, i it a Series 2 thing, a combination, etc......Let's hope it's just nothing too big.....

Old 07-07-2002, 12:28 PM   #21
CPTPez

had same proble with series 2 running 3.0 - rebooting solved it - no problem since (1 month)
CPTPez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 12:11 PM   #22
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Happened to me recently on my unmod. AT&T Series 2. Please see my post regarding "squealy audio"....

I don't like this. Ruins recordings and cannot be good for the speakers.....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=66710

Old 07-08-2002, 12:32 PM   #23
JAB
TiVoist Emeritus

Smile

Merged jlb's topic into this one and combined the names of the topics.

/jab
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 12:47 PM   #24
TiVoBill

I passed a link to this thread on to some people who can investigate the issue further. I will let you know if we need more information.
TiVoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 12:49 PM   #25
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I called Tivo support to get my issue on record.....

interesting notes:

1) They say they are not allowed to read this forum so passing ona link to this thread will not be read.....

2) First response from them was maybe my cables are bad. I am using a composite cable for audio through my AV receiver. I don't see how my cables are bad when a Tivo reboot seemed to clear things for now....And I also told the rep that I don't see how my cables could suddenly go bad.

3) rep then said maybe my av receiver might have gone bad....Well, everything else seems to work fine, and I doubt my one input has all of a sudden gone bad...

4) Last option from rep was maybe the tivo "is bad". Well, it's been running fine since getting it in January. I'd really hate to get to the point where I have to send mine in (under warranty) and be without one for any extended time and risk losing my SPs and recordings if they swap (I guess time to dust off the digi cam for some TiVO pics).

5) Finally, they said I'll need to call back when I am in front of my tivo......

TiVOPony, if you are listening, please, please, please do some research for us on this. Everything about my tivo is fine except for this newly manifested intermittent issue..........

Old 07-08-2002, 12:50 PM   #26
jlb
NCC-1701-D

thanks tivobill

Old 07-08-2002, 01:18 PM   #27
robbham

Note i haven't seen the "bad kazoo audio" problem recur since i rebooted.

i can confirm that rebooting definitely seems to "fix" it.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:14 PM   #28
jlb
NCC-1701-D

It's good to know that rebooting seems to "fix" the issue. I am curious to know what may have caused the problem in the first place and whether is is likely to happen again.......

Who knows...I just hope this doesn't happen during an important recording......

Old 07-11-2002, 06:57 PM   #29
jplloyd

Arrow

I have the same problem on a new Tivo series2. It
would come and go, at its worst it was really annoying.
After clearly isolating it to be the fault of the Tivo,
I called Tivo Customer Support, who suggested all the
things I tried (changing channels, changing audio
source, restarting...). Restarting is the only thing
I have found that has any effect (which is to make it
go away at least temporarilly).

After a long support phone call (20 minutes on hold
to start, and then 40 minutes of diagnosis and more hold
while the support tech got advice), they agreed to
an "expedited replacement" it at no cost.
I'd be happy enough with that except I'll be without
a Tivo for at least a few days :-(

James
jplloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 07:16 AM   #30
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Hey jplloyd, please make sure you update us on two things....1) how quick they really get the replacement to you and 2) if the same thing shows up down the line........

I have not had any problems on mine in the week and half or so since I rebooted mine. I would really hate to be without a tivo, even for a few days, but if the problem returns then so be it....

Quick question, is there any chance that TiVO is sending the replacement first and then you return the other one in the box? To me, this is the most expeditious way to go, as you can at least record, or try to, until the replacement arrives.....