TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #4501
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I just called Comcast via the main 800 number to confirm information as I prep for an install in Newburyport, MA in the next two weeks.....

A couple of interesting points:

- They echoed the $14.95 fee for installation, first card free, but $2.75 for the second card. I mentioned the $1.91 on the website, but got nowhere. Honestly, $2.75 is a good deal, but it's the point of it. I wonder if the difference between $2.75 and $1.91 is other taxes and what not.

- When I asked if I could request that the install be done by a tech who has done CC installs before (I meant for them to just mark up the record with the request) they assumed I wanted to request a particular tech. What she said was that if I know someone who had a good install, I should call them and ask them for the name and/or Technician #. They could then assign my install to that tech.

Should we start a sub-thread where we can post Tech #s from good install experiences?

- I also tried to get a phone number to call to activate the card(s) if the local office is willing to give me the card(s) directly. The name of the "department" is Dispatch/Provisioning. They would not give me that number, but did say that if the local office is willing to help out and provide cards, that I should call the main number (800-COMCAST), select Technical Support, and then ask to be transferred to the Dispatch/Provisioning group for CC activation.

Soooooooo, anyone in/near Newburyport that had a good experience and would like to pass on their Tech's name/Tech #?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #4502
fadden0

No problems, but...

My TiVo HD with Motorola MA07* M-series CableCARD has been running fine for about a week and a half (not counting the occasional gray-screen issues, but that's on TiVo).

Last night my wifewas watching previously-recorded material when a 161-52 error popped up. We have no idea what this means; no information on the Internet, except for about 3 posts where it came up during a troubled install.

I fiddled with the device a few hours later. One of the tuners was sitting on channel 3 (analog local NBC station) with a blank screen. The other tuner was fine After a couple of channel changes it recovered. No problems with channel 3 or any of the other stations. So all is well, but I'm a little worried about what this means.

Did the tuner get "stuck" somehow? Maybe the CableCARD saw the "stickiness" and complained with a 161-52? Or maybe a CableCARD problem confused the tuner and made it reset to channel 3 with no video?
fadden0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #4503
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSAMRN View Post
So now I will have to try to figure out what to do. I talked to Best Buy last night, and they think I could just return the box and get a refund (which I hate to do, as I have wanted this thing for two years). The kid there has not heard of any cable card issues. That doesn't get me back my $399 for the Lifetime Service. I could sell it on eBay, and let someone who actually lives in an area where they can get cable cards benefit. Or I can continue to try to fight the fight.
RNSAMRN,

OMG this is terrible! How can Comcast say or do this! The two cards they tried out here were Motorola cards and one of them did work. So there is not a universal incompatibility between Motorola cards and Tivos with 9.x...

The first thing I'd do is call Tivo customer service and find out what they want you to do. They definitely want your business and will bend over backwards to figure out what the problem really is. If you search around the board, you'll even find examples of three-way conference calls between Tivo, you, and the cable company.

Has your unit been upgraded to the latest 9.2.x software? One thing I didn't know was that it's actually preferable to have the unit plugged in using "basic analog cable" mode and to connect and get the software upgrades first.

As a last resort, you can see if everyone would be kosher with you returning the S3, getting a new model TivoHD (the $250-$299 version) and transferring the lifetime onto that box. I'm sure Tivo will do whatever it takes to get you up and running.

My personal take on my difficulties is that Comcast is either incompetent as usual (this is my first instinct since they seem to have an equally hard time getting their DVR to work in my house), or that they are trying to protect their franchise and want a greater share of your dollars than Tivo - they want the additional revenue from the boxes and want the advertising dollars from the ads they show on their (inferior) box. As such, I've decided that they are willing to engage in evil business practices and have decided to try to foil them by being as stubborn as possible to get what I want no matter how much of their time it takes.

I can understand if you can't sacrifice your time/sleeplessness and your TV-watching for the weeks this fight will take, but I'd applaud your joining the fight!
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #4504
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
Anyway, after about 3 hours or so of waiting, I decide to give Comcast a call. The phone agent says that they've scheduled a follow-up for the next day (today) between 11am and 2pm. No word about this alleged "signal" they were supposed to send out. I decide to wait until tomorrow, but I do reboot my tivo.

So today rolls around and I turn on the TV and decide to check out the state of the cablecard. I wander around aimlessly but do notice that it's not active and "awaiting restart". I think about this a second then decide to restart the Tivo to see what happens.

I restart and rerun guided setup and amazingly, I'm all set! Both regular and unencrypted channels work fine and I even have all my HBO channels!

Now I just get to wait for the installer to come around again to install the second cablecard.
So of course, nothing is easy with Comcast. Since no one showed up today, I decided to call to check up on what happened.

The agent tells me that there's no appointment for today, that my appointment was yesterday.

So I ask why the agent last night said I had a follow-up appointment "tomorrow between 11am and 2pm"? She says: "You didn't have an appointment today, your appointment was yesterday". I say: "So are you calling me a liar?" She says: "No, but you never had an appointment for today. I can schedule a new appointment for you. The earliest we have is a week from Wednesday." I say: "Fine, set that up for me. But why would the other agent have told me I had a follow-up appointment when I didn't have one?" She says: "You're set up for an appointment between 2pm and 5pm on the 26th." I say: "Thank you." She says: "You're welcome, goodbye"

So I call back and get another agent who apologizes and says that the agent last night must have just gotten confused and read the screen wrong. Ahhh, I have some acknowledgment! Anyway, the result is that they're going to call me if there's a cancellation and if an earlier appointment comes up. I figure this will never happen and I'll be stuck with the appointment that's right up against my flight to New York, but what can I do? I'm interested to see what they say when I say that the next appointment I can make is sometime next November.
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #4505
torrential

Boulder, CO install experience

The Comcast tech was here for four hours. He'd never touched a Tivo before and no one in his seemingly vast support network had, either. Everything is working tho I had to reboot a couple of times to get rid of video freeze and blank grey screens.

Comcast is at fault here for deploying their techs without training or backup.

The good parts: Getting an appointment was easy (called Thursday, they had slots available Friday), the tech arrived on time and during the visit he found a weak or erratic signal due to a bad wall socket which I've now bypassed.
torrential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #4506
TonyD79

Quote:
So I call back and get another agent who apologizes and says that the agent last night must have just gotten confused and read the screen wrong. Ahhh, I have some acknowledgment!
It really amazes me that they can't just say "There was a mistake or a miscommunication. Sorry, let's see what we can do for you" rather than just insist that you are wrong. All we usually want is an acknowledgement.

Anyway, I take the plunge on Friday. Bought my HD Tivo over a week ago. Let it settle in. Called Comcast yesterday and the all went very well. The CSR thought the Tivo was "cool" and would like to have one himself. He verified with his super that he did the order right as it was his first cable card order and reminded me that I won't get PPV or VOD with the Tivo. When I told him I knew that, he said "Just as long as you don't freak out when you don't have it" with a smile in his voice. I told him I can use Amazon Unbox instead.

Now let's see how it goes Friday.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #4507
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
.......Bought my HD Tivo over a week ago. Let it settle in.........
You raise a good point that is worth repeating. Folks should get their TiVoHD and run it through guided setup without the cable cards and run it that way for a while. Sure, you'll only be able to associate guide data with the analog channels, but I think it is worth it to give the box a week's workout just to make sure things work in general (and to get updates, etc....).

I'll be purchasing my Vizio VX-37L and my TiVoHD next week between the holidays, but I'll hold off on the CCs for at least a week or two (depending on scheduling)........Looking forward to the Superbowl in HD along the clear QAM pipe on my lifeline cable package.

Last edited by jlb : 12-19-2007 at 10:46 AM.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #4508
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
You raise a good point that is worth repeating. Folks should get their TiVoHD and run it through guided setup without the cable cards and run it that way for a while. Sure, you'll only be able to associate guide data with the analog channels, but I think it is worth it to give the box a week's workout just to make sure things work in general (and to get updates, etc....).
That is what Tivo recommends. Not only make sure the box is good (because once you get the cable cards in there it gets more complicated to return it, I would think) but to get the latest software. There is plenty to play with in the meantime. I got a week's worth of enjoyment out of setting up unbox and my tivo desktop and all that. And I can record OTA just fine, as I will be using this box as primarily primetime network stuff, that was all good.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #4509
RNSAMRN

Quote:
RNSAMRN,

OMG this is terrible! How can Comcast say or do this! ....
Well, I figured calling Tivo first was what I should do. I called and the tech was very nice. He did a three way phone call to Comcast with me. He said that he has heard of NO problems with the Motorola cards, and that people he knows are using them in their Tivo's without problem. Guess I need to move to California. Anyhow, we call Comcast together. Explain to the girl on the phone that I had an appointment scheduled yesterday that their SUBCONTRACTOR canceled, and that he refuses to come out due to an alleged compatibility problem. I tell her that I have Tom from Tivo on the phone with us, and that he states he has not heard of any problems with the Motorola cards. She doesn't really seem to care that Tom is on with us, but says it sounds like I need to speak to a supervisor. She puts us on hold, and then comes back on herself. I never get to speak to a supervisor, but she says she can reschedule for Saturday between 12 and 2 p.m. Fine. Told her to please request someone from COMCAST rather than some subcontractor that doesn't know what he is doing, and to make sure they are bringing two cable cards. She says she doesn't know if a Comcast tech will come, but she put that in the request.
So it is interesting to read that others have Motorola cable cards that start with serial number MA and that they are working. As to the software issue, all I know is that I have had the Tivo Series 3 HD unit plugged in and connected via wireless since I got it. Perhaps about a week or so. Tivo said they had sent some sort of upgrade, but I am not sure what that is. I really have hardly been using the box. I still have the cable plugged into my Comcast DVR, since I can't get any HD channels or any of the premium channels on the Tivo without the cable cards. I will play around with it today and see if I can tell what upgrade they have done. I am wondering if the people who have the working Motorola cards have the Series 3 HD or the Series 2? Wonder if this makes a difference, although Tivo swears that there is no problem with the Series 3. I am still trying to fight this out. Figure the least I can do is have Comcast repeatedly have to work on the issue, and maybe one of these times someone will come through. By the way, has anyone filed an official complaint regarding this issue via the FCC? Just curious.
I am not confident in the least that someone is going to actually show up on Saturday. If they do, I plan on calling Tivo to have them walk the technician through it step by step to see if this helps. I sure hope they don't send the same dude that came last time. Although he was very nice, he didn't have a clue.
Lensman - I see you have a Motorola card with serial number NG... That is the one they said has been working here, but that they are unable to get. Interesting. Also funny how the rep for you didn't see the scheduled appointment, and the next rep magically did. This is just typical of the experiences I have had with Comcast. Unbelievable customer service. And NOT in the good way.
RNSAMRN
Southern New Jersey
Tivo Hell
RNSAMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #4510
jlb
NCC-1701-D

ITts good to see that the folks at TiVo have been willing to get on the phone with you. Hopefully, you will get everything straightened out quickly.

I just hope my install is smooth. The WAF on difficult CC installs may be very low.

Last edited by jlb : 12-19-2007 at 02:33 PM.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #4511
DrakeBliss

Cable Cards in Cape Coral FL

I live in Cape Coral FL. We were converted from Time Warner about 6 months ago. What a mess that was. I just ordered a TIVO HD to be delivered tomoorow. I have talked to Comcast before ordering and got the scoop on the Cable Cards. The fees quoted are shown below.

Digital Preferred $10.63
HD Service $6.95
Cable M-Card $Free

Installation Fee: $9.95

It ends up that it will save me $10.00 per month after I switch over to the TiVo HD. Well anyway, I get confirmation that my TiVo will be here soon, so I call Comcast to schedule a time to install the M-Card. I was then told that they had no Cable Cards and I was to be put on a waiting list. She had no idea how long the wait would be. Has anyone else been on a waiting list and how long was your wait. From reading through the forum, it looks like Comcast does not want to support Cable Cards and Tivo.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #4512
cwise
Should of Never Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeBliss View Post
I was then told that they had no Cable Cards and I was to be put on a waiting list. She had no idea how long the wait would be. Has anyone else been on a waiting list and how long was your wait. From reading through the forum, it looks like Comcast does not want to support Cable Cards and Tivo.
I would go to Comcast and ask for a M-Card. I called the Comcast call center in Knoxville, TN. The rep I spoke with told me I would have to have 2 cards and they would have to be installed at $29 a piece. Very hateful and rude. Also that there was a waiting list.

I called my friend who works in the Knoxville, TN call center and he stated that was pure bull. Just come down there and tell them I want a M-Card and if any problems ask for a supervisor. Well the rep I spoke with a the counter didn't know what a cable card was. I explained what my friend told me and within 15 minutes I had a M-Card.

So as you said Comcast does not want to support this. I would not believe anything they told you on phone and go to the your actual Comcast center. Still not had a chance to install it yet.
cwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #4513
Brad Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwise View Post
I would go to Comcast and ask for a M-Card. I called the Comcast call center in Knoxville, TN. The rep I spoke with told me I would have to have 2 cards and they would have to be installed at $29 a piece. Very hateful and rude. Also that there was a waiting list.
That's one of the weird things about this (My sister just experienced it- I haven't yet, though): Some of the CSRs act like because you're not using the Comcast box that it's a personal insult.

What do they care? I'm buying a service from you. My guess would be that most people who have TiVo, while not doing the PPV/VOD stuff, would likely be buying one of the upper packages -anyway- so it's just money in the bank for them.

Anyway, instead of them welcoming a customer, it's like they're pissed off that you showed up at their party.
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #4514
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop View Post
That's one of the weird things about this (My sister just experienced it- I haven't yet, though): Some of the CSRs act like because you're not using the Comcast box that it's a personal insult.

What do they care? I'm buying a service from you. My guess would be that most people who have TiVo, while not doing the PPV/VOD stuff, would likely be buying one of the upper packages -anyway- so it's just money in the bank for them.

Anyway, instead of them welcoming a customer, it's like they're pissed off that you showed up at their party.
I can't totally agree with that. Although I have had my share of problems with Comcast here in the NE, I will say, that they have been trying to be supportive in getting me the service I order. I think what you are experiencing is more a lack of knowledge WRT cableCARDs. I knew from the start I was better off not even asking about whether or not I needed M-Cards or S-Cards since in my case, it did not matter. (Since I have the S3.) If I DID have to ask specifically for the M-card, I would expect to have to explain the difference since I can understand how the CSRs might not understand the difference or EVEN what a cableCARD is.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #4515
ehanson

Had a Comcast tech out here to install an MCard in a TiVo HD for about 3 hours yesterday to no avail. They sent another tech today who not only seemed to know what he was doing but also had a partner on the other end of the phone who knew what she was doing and they got everything up and running in about 15 minutes. Just thought I'd share his info in case anyone in the Western Chicago suburbs was having trouble getting a knowledgable tech. Ask for Tyler; his ID was 3861 and he was working with Vicky in dispatch. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #4516
cwise
Should of Never Left

Well I finally installed my MCard. Steps I did:

- Setup TIVO completely without install the card
- Forced TIVO to update a second time (it was only at 8 something)
- Reboot TIVO and now at 9.2a
- Install Card and called Comcast to activate it.
- Was stuck in the update channel screen for almost an hour.
- After reading I had Comcast reactivate it again.

Now I get the following channels:
- In the 400 range these are my Comcast HD channels I get as of now. I get all my local HD channels, ESPN HD, and Discovery HD.
- I get some crazy foreign channel in the 200 range.
- Comcast local weather forecast
- Channel 99 which is Leased Access
- Channel 3 Ion
- Channel 6 QVC

Also let me point out I do not get my local channels in SD on the lower channels. I am pretty confused. One thing that has stood out to me is under the 'conditional access screen' I get AUTH:MP. I can not find out what that means but that does not seem right.

Edit: Status update.

Called Comcast again (I wanted them to check Host ID per help thread). I was told that they do not provide service for TIVO and I should not of been given the card. Requested Supervisor Rep refuses. I tell them what it tells me on the Comcast website bout them supporting TVIO. I was told that was for the Comcast TiVo boxes coming out in March in my area. They will not do anything for me and they tell it is TIVO's fault. I requested his name and Supervisor. Conversation becomes heated and the guy hangs up on me.

Call back spoke with another rep and now he tells me that I am not allowed to installed an MCard on a TIVO that they have to send a rep out. I tell them to go ahead (just in case) and they schedule a guy for Sunday at $32.50.

I have a friend who works at Comcast during the day and I am going to call him tomorrow. He told me and him his supervisor had a talk about this a week ago and this goes against everything he told me. After I talk to him (and hopefully get it fixed before a tech comes out) I am going to file a complaint. I read it was bad but you don't know how bad it is until you go through it.

Last edited by cwise : 12-21-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #4517
RNSAMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwise View Post
Well I finally installed my MCard. Steps I did:

- Setup TIVO completely without install the card
- Forced TIVO to update a second time (it was only at 8 something)
- Reboot TIVO and now at 9.2a
- Install Card and called Comcast to activate it.
- Was stuck in the update channel screen for almost an hour.
- After reading I had Comcast reactivate it again.
CWISE,
It is just utterly amazing the treatment that the CSR's have been throwing our way. I had one refuse to give me the log number for the phone call to refer to later...."oh, you won't need that." What kind of crap is that? If I ask for the number, you should give it without me having to become nasty. Another said she would put the Supervisor on the line, but then just came back on herself. Several are just out and out rude. Can't wait until Saturday to see what new story Comcast concocts. I will continue to call to schedule appointments until I get some working cable cards. I also plan on sending a letter out to the Corporate office to the Pres. or V.P. just as soon as I find out who it is. If anyone has this information, kindly send it to me. I live in New Jersey - don't know if there is a regional person I should direct it to, or what.
RNSAMRN
Old 12-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #4518
sandun

Comcast cable card install experience in Branford,CT

Hi All,

I went to the local (Branford) Comcast office to ask for a cable card to do a self installation. They said that customers are not allowed to do self install, instead I will have to schedule a technician to come over and install. The cost is approx $17 (can't remember if it was 16.95 or 17.95). The counter CSR asked how many cards I need for Tivo. I said 1 "mcard" or two "scards" - she (CSR) said OK, and will also make a note to the Tech to bring extra cards.

I have basic-extended cable + TivoHD.

On the scheduled day, the Comcast Tech called me to ask how many cards I need. I said I have a dual tuner TivoHD - takes one MCard or 2 SCards.

The Tech showed up on time - with 2 others (trainees on CC installation - preparing for the post xmas rush of installations). The Tech knew what he was doing. A single MCard was installed under 5 mins. Then, they had to wait for 10-15 mins or so on the phone with Comcast while waiting to get the card activated.

(He did tell the trainees not to use the Comcast Tivo option on their phone when they called Comcast i.e. "Press 2 for Tivo" as this is meant for their upcoming Tivo boxes. Instead he told them to use the option for "TV cable card activation...").

Overall, the process took less than 30 mins - most of it, on the phone waiting to activate the mcard.

The Tech did mention his previous install took 3 hours - mainly because that Tivo owner had not gone the the first-time setup guide and was a dial-up user. So, the Tech had to do this... pick the nearest Tivo dialup phone number... get program data...etc.

So far I am receiving the HD channels - I expected to receive only the local broadcast HD channels since I have only basic-extended cable, but also receive CNN-HD, NationalGeo, ESPN HD and a few others. Not sure how long this will last though.

Later in the evening, I got a e-message from Tivo asking me to run the set-up guide again since I have changed the current configuration (i.e. put in a cc). I did this (quick, on broadband) and now I receive the program guide for the channels listed in the CC.

keywords: Branford, New Haven, North Haven, East Haven, Connecticut
sandun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #4519
fadden0

The above discussion reminded me of something: the instructions for the TiVo Series 3 say it doesn't matter whether or not you complete guided setup before the installer arrives. The instructions for the TiVo HD recommend you complete it 48 hours ahead of time so the box will get updated to the latest software upgrade.

I don't think this is a difference in the boxes; I think TiVo realized that it's better to try the CableCARD install with the latest software in place.

Anyone setting up a TiVo with a CableCARD should complete guided setup and force an upgrade before the installer arrives. (Case in point: there was a note somewhere to the effect that M-cards didn't work with one of the models until you had v8.1 of the software, and I think they still ship with 8.0. Not sure.)
fadden0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #4520
cwise
Should of Never Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadden0 View Post
Anyone setting up a TiVo with a CableCARD should complete guided setup and force an upgrade before the installer arrives.
Now I did the guided setup twice before I tried installing the CableCard. I finally got the software to upgrade to 9.2a.

After checking another thread I am pretty sure my problems comes down to AUTH:MP under 'conditional access screen'. It is suppose to say 'subscribed'. Everything else looks right. I am going call TIVO after work and see if they can help me and point me exactly to what I need to tell the cable company. If that does not work I guess I will wait for the guy to come out Sunday.

Now I am thinking about giving it a week and if I can not get it to work I am going to take it back. That said the channels I did get to come in looked great. The HD was just awesome (it looked better than my Cable Box) and it so nice to see that TIVO software again. I do not want to go back to a Cable Box but I do not want to be dealing with this a month down the road. I need to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #4521
grampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
ITts good to see that the folks at TiVo have been willing to get on the phone with you. Hopefully, you will get everything straightened out quickly.

I just hope my install is smooth. The WAF on difficult CC installs may be very low.
I can report that my install went very well this week in my Series 3, Comcast tech was here for 1/2 hr, most of the time waiting for a tech to answer the phone at the other end. Total actual time for both cards was maybe fifteen minutes.
{Edit: just noticed my profile is bare, I'm in Hudson, MA}
grampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #4522
TonyD79

Strike One for Comcast.

I was scheduled for 4-7pm ET today for cablecards in my HDTivo. I get a call at 4:07pm (at least it was prompt) from the tech telling me that the M cards (Scientific Atlanta) were recalled and they were out of S cards.

Comcast tech support is supposed to call me back later this evening.

One step closer to Verizon.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #4523
Washizu

I'm in a similar boat as many of you trying to get my Tivo HD to work. Right now I have had two tech vists, two NO SHOWS, and the end result is that I have one of two cable cards working. This means my Tivo HD records dead air half of the time.

I'll write up a more detailed account when I get home later. Hopefully it will help someone else out there. Overall, Comcast is doing zero training for cable cards for its phone reps and installers. They are all learning on the job.

Last edited by Washizu : 12-22-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Washizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #4524
zand94

Just wanting to post my experience:

Today had comcast contractor show up over 1 hour late (called comcast dispatch at 30 min and got a $20 credit). Contractor shows up with only 1 M-Card and I got worried.

He says he's done the TivoHDs before and it's no big deal - just have to have the right person on the other end of the phone. He calls in and requests someone specific and gives them the info. 5 min later i'm running guided setup and it's all working. I did have to restart in order to begin receiving channels on the 2nd tuner. All channels showing up (no HBO or any premiums here).

Comcast seems to be getting it right here.

Alex
zand94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #4525
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washizu View Post
I'm in a similar boat as many of you trying to get my Tivo HD to work. Right now I have had two tech vists, two NO SHOWS, and the end result is that I have one of two cable cards working. This means my Tivo HD records dead air half of the time.

I'll write up a more detailed account when I get home later. Hopefully it will help you someone else out there. Overall, Comcast is doing zero training for training for it's phone reps and installers. They are all learning on the job.
I talked with a tech manager. Think she was local but I am not sure since I got here from the 800 number. She said she has instructed CSRs to funnel cablecard problems to designated cablecard experts she has set up (minimum of 2 at any time). She said the training is just not there so she has made sure she has a couple well-versed people on staff and rather than try to get training for everyone to just make sure that the non-routine stuff gets sent to them.

She was friendly, helpful and seemed very knowledgeable on the issues. She even called back with more information and gave me her number.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #4526
Washizu

One card working, one not

Quote:
She even called back with more information and gave me her number.
That's great. Actually, almost everyone at Comcast and their installers has been really nice and want to help. The problem is that they don't know how to get it working... here's my extended story.

I've had a Series 2 TiVo for 3 years and love it. Never had any problems whatsoever. I was planning on getting a new, Hi Def TV in December but I knew I'd have to upgrade my TiVo as well. I bought a beautiful 40" Samsung LCD and and a TiVo HD. I called comcast (south jersey, formerly Garden State Cable) to figure out how to get cable cards. They said I could either have a tech install them or could pick them up at a local store. I said I'd pick them up. I drove to the store after work to find they close at 4:00PM, but are open later on Wednesdays. I drove there Wednesday and they told me that they never carry cable cards and whoever told me they do was wrong. A tech had to install them.

So I call comcast again and they say the store was right, only a tech could install cable cards and they'd set up an appointment for them to come from 6-9PM. There'd be no monthly charge for the two cards and $5 charge for HD service. Great! I didn't even know comcast had evening hours now.

Two days prior to the tech visit I hooked up TiVo HD to my regular signal and could get all my channels in standard def. TiVo HD updated it's software and everything was all set. So far everything was running pretty smoothly.

The tech arrived on time (around 6:00PM) and had two single stream cable cards and put them both in at the same time (I now know this is bad). He was on hold with comcast for about 20 minutes, but 45 minutes in everything seemed to be working. I could record in HD, play it back, etc.

I had zero prior experience with the TiVo HD, so I didn't think to check the other card. Later that night I went to start reprogramming all my season passes and realized that only one tuner was working. Card 1 had all my standard 2-23, extended 24-199, and HD 200+. Card 2 only had 2-23.

I called back and they apologized and said they'd give me 6 months free HBO and Starz. Sweet! They also said they have a tech out there the next day from 6-9PM.

8:30PM rolled around the next day and I called to confirm... No one was scheduled to come out. They made an appointment for the next day from 6-9PM.

8:30PM rolled around and still no sign of the tech. I called comcast and they said he was held up on a job, but my visit was a "must do" and he would be there a little after nine. Tech called at 9:00PM to say he'd be there at 9:45PM. At 11:30PM he called, waking my wife and I up to say he wasn't coming and would I like to reschedule for the next day? No.

I called comcast the next day and gave them the story and they took $10 off my bill each month for a year. (At least the service reps are authorized to give out this kind of stuff!) They'd send a tech out the next day (which is today) and have this solved. I asked for someone who has installed cable cards in TiVos before.

So today, the tech arrives with a multistream card. He said they just got them in two days ago. It doesn't work. He tries and tries and tries, but it only gets channels 2-23. He puts the old single stream back in the same slots they were originally, and this time Card 2 works, but Card 1 doesn't! Card 1 has the exact same problem Card 2 used to have. He swapped out Card 1 with a different one, but had the same problem so he put the old one back in. So now we've proved that the TiVo HD works, both slots work, and both cable cards work.

The only answer left is comcast. I'm 99% sure it is a setting, or handshake that has to initiated from their end.

The tech said he would bring it up with a supervisor and would call me on Wednesday morning, which is fine because I don't want to mess with this 2 days before Christmas anyway.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I actually think I should be able to talk to someone and fix this over the phone.

I can get Verizon Fios TV in my area (already have it for Internet) and not getting my TiVo to work would be one of the only things that could get me to switch.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #4527
RNSAMRN

Just to follow up on previous posts :

After multiple phone calls to CSR's, 2 refusals to come out to bring the cable cards, 1 no call no show, I had an appointment scheduled for today. Original time was for 10-12. Tech called before 10. Said he was on of the supervisors, but he could not make it out until between 1 and 5. I said FINE with me, just come. He said he estimated the set-up of the cable cards, "if it worked" would take at least 2 hours due to all the trouble they have been having. He stated he had not had a successful installation since the end of 9/07. He was willing to give it a try though. One condition - I had to disconnect the wireless and have my box hooked up to the phone line. Not sure what difference that would make, but told him not a problem. A few hours later the phone rang. It was Comcast just calling to make sure it was OK if that guy came out, as he was a from a contracted company, as I had requested a Comcast tech specifically. I told him that the girl told me that might not happen on a weekend, and I was fine with whomever came, but that I preferred that they had some experience with the cable cards. Told him that someone had already scheduled a time, and that was fine. I set up the Tivo with the phone line, and reprogrammed it accordingly. Restarted the Tivo also.
Around 3 p.m. the supervisor arrives. I recognize his voice as being one of the people who outright refused to come out before. Not sure what changed his mind - maybe my repeated phone calls to Comcast. He repeated everything he had told me before. I told him that based on my research many of the problems had to do with activation (wrong numbers being read to the activation person, etc) or faulty cards. He admitted that he felt there was some sort of computer issue on Comcast's end, but that he couldn't be sure. I asked him about the failure of CC's, and some people needing to go through many cards until one finally worked. He said the most he went through in one day was about 17.
Says that he and another tech came up with a plan that might work in getting the cards to work. He states it was recommended to him to restart the Tivo after inserting the first cable card, and again after inserting the second card, as this has worked in another state. He seemed to imply that NO ONE in NJ has had the cards working since the end of 9/07, which I corrected him on. I let him know that I have been in contact with people via this forum who could state otherwise. Anyhow, he pops in the first Motorola CC. It is an S card. States that Comcast in my area is not using M cards any longer (probably so they can charge for the second card - but I haven't even got to that issue yet, as I was told there would be no charge for the cards, just the service call). He was able to get in touch with someone he knew in activation so that it would go smoother, and as he put it, so we wouldn't have to wait on hold for 30 minutes. After reading the numbers to her (I listened in and knew he read them correctly), he unplugs the Tivo for 3 minutes. Then he plugs it back in, lets the Tivo reboot and lets her send the signal. SUCCESS!!!!!!! The card works. MAGIC!! This after all the talk about the "compatibility issue" with Motorola CC's and Tivo. I am overjoyed!!!
Not so lucky with the second card. Does the same thing all over again. Only receiving some channels, and no HD channels. Thinks maybe the girl heard the numbers incorrectly, so he rereads the numbers, and tries the whole process over again. No luck. I think he took the card out at one point in time, so he may have ruined it, but I can't remember the exact order of when he did that. I thought he took the second card out to read something off of it, then put it back in, but before the girl began activation. Not sure if that was part of the problem or not. Anyhow, this guy was very easy to deal with, although he still didn't seem happy to be doing a Tivo CC install. He clearly knew his way around using the Tivo though, which was a BIG plus.
Bottom line, he suspects the second card was bad. He didn't have extras (not sure why, given his past experience with them - think he said there just weren't any available since it was the weekened). He is to come back on Monday morning to try the second card again.
I had to redo the Guided Set-up after he left to get the channels to show up on the guide. I kind of wondered if maybe doing that and then retrying the second cable card would have made a difference, but just grasping at straws. Overall, I was just totally happy that that one card worked and proved everyone I had dealt with so far wrong. And I was quite impressed with the quality of the HD channels on the Tivo box. They appeared clearer to me than on the Comcast DVR. I am praying that all goes well on Monday, so I can have my Christmas present actually up and running on Christmas morning!! I am confident it can be done, just not sure where the problem arose. Anyone out there get their second card activated by any special magic?
Let me know.
RNSAMRN
South Jersey
Old 12-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #4528
Washizu

RNSAMRN! We are in the same exact boat and we both live in South Jersey. Read my post about how it may NOT be a bad card, but instead a problem on comcast's end sending channels to two cards.

Also, the tech said that the only good cable cards were made in 2005. The newer ones dont' work as well. He also said that they've had fewer problems with the Series 3 TiVos than with the new front loading TiVo HDs.

Let me know if your problems get resolved!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #4529
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
RNSAMRN! We are in the same exact boat and we both live in South Jersey. Read my post about how it may NOT be a bad card, but instead a problem on comcast's end sending channels to two cards.

Also, the tech said that the only good cable cards were made in 2005. The newer ones dont' work as well. He also said that they've had fewer problems with the Series 3 TiVos than with the new front loading TiVo HDs.

Let me know if your problems get resolved!
It's just laughable what some "techs" say about CableCARDs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #4530
RNSAMRN

Quote:
RNSAMRN! We are in the same exact boat and we both live in South Jersey.
Washizu,
It has been amazing all of the different stories the people at Comcast have come up with regarding the Tivo units! I have not tried to record any programs since getting the one card to work - noticed you said you get dead air or something? Shouldn't having one card at least let you be able to record, just only one channel at a time, right?
I have seen some threads where people said the second card didn't work while the tech was there, but hours later they rebooted and it magically started to work. Wish the techs would just leave the second card so I could play around to see if it does the same here.
Anyhow, I just had to call out sick from work from the raging respiratory infection I have come down with since the "work all night and then stay up over 24 hours waiting for Comcast to not come" episode. Will rest up today, and the Comcast guy is supposed to come back tomorrow, but sure I will get a "it's Christmas Eve" excuse and he won't come. I however will have to drag my sick butt to work one way or another tomorrow night. I will let you know how it turns out.
RNSAMRN
South Jersey