TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #1441
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Yes I do have desktop...it failed too...hmmmm.
Any way
Tivo model starts with 540
Your video looks like a standard DVD format mpeg2 except the audio is mp2 instead of ac3 -- but that should not bother your Tivo.

My hunch is your 540 may not like the 720x480 format -- See this post. To test this we need to force pyTivo to transcode to 544x480 (with ffmpeg). To do that edit transcode.py (save the distributed original first) at line #211, which now reads:

Code:
    suportedModes = [[720, 480], [704, 480], [544, 480], [480, 480], [352, 480]]
Remove the [720,480] pair (and the ',' following it).

There may still be issues with aspect ratio, letterboxing etc., which can be worked out later, but this should get something at 544x480 over to your 540.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by dlfl : 12-22-2007 at 08:27 AM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #1442
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Beyond that, my impression is that we don't fully understand the exact conditions that must be met for grouping. We pretty well know that identical seriesID is necessary but it's not clear that it's sufficient. (??)
I thought it was also believed that that seriesid must be present in "your" guide data at the time of grouping.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:34 AM   #1443
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
........ dlfl, you don't know the best way to edit pyTivo by line do you? thanks.
Did you miss posts #1438 and #1439 ?

and
Old 12-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #1444
jcthorne

Yes, the seriesid must not only be valid, it must be KNOWN by your tivo from its current guide data or previous recording when it was current. If you want to choose a series id from the lists published here, you may first record one episode from the series to enable that series id then TTCB the remainder of the shows you want in that group. You can even delete the original recording that created the group and the series group will remain. If the series id does not appear in your current guide data for recording, you cannot use it.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #1445
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Yes, the seriesid must not only be valid, it must be KNOWN by your tivo from its current guide data or previous recording when it was current.
Is that right? If that was true people wouldn't have MRV issues with older shows. Or maybe I am misremembering that part.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #1446
Sicklybutsexy

Quote:
Did you miss posts #1438 and #1439 ?
I did, thank you metadata works great.
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #1447
Proxima

I appreciate the help, but same errors:

TIVO says file is larger than expected or corrupt

log file says connection reset by peer.

It couldn't have anything to do with my wireless...Download TV works fine...I get DL.tv and CrankyGeeks flawlessly.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #1448
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Is that right? If that was true people wouldn't have MRV issues with older shows. Or maybe I am misremembering that part.
If I were Tivo, this is how I'd do it: When a show comes into the guide, it comes along a "series record". That gets saved, but is eventually aged out of the system when the show is no longer in the guide (not necessarily immediately), unless there's still a recording of that show in Now Playing, in which case the series record won't be purged until after that show is deleted (again, not necessarily immediately). An unused series record could hang around for a long time if there were no new series coming in needing the space. But even with many new series, they probably stay for days or weeks.

MRV/TTCB are apparently not sufficient to recreate the series record. It has to come in with the regular guide data. Or so it appears, anyway.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #1449
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I appreciate the help, but same errors:
TIVO says file is larger than expected or corrupt
log file says connection reset by peer...........
What version is your TiVo software?

When you tried to transfer after modding Transcode.py did you see ffmpeg start to transcode in the command window? Did the output video track say it was 544x480? Actually if you could copy that part the command window and post it I would be interested.

If you can't get ANY files to go back with Desktop, that suggests a problem other than pyTivo. Try sending a TiVo transferred from your TiVo. Be sure you have the TiVo beacon started, of course. If that works, try sending the same file via pyTivo. The TiVo beacon is NOT needed for pyTiVo.

and
Old 12-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #1450
naclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Probably won't be an .exe, but you never know what armooo might throw out there for us to play with.

Download the latest version, and unzip it. Set up your pytivo.conf file, and then follow the instructions in the README file about how to install it as a Windows service.

Here is my current pytivo.conf file, for use with my Series3 :

Code:
[Server]
Port=9044
GUID=314257
debug=true
aspect169=true
audio_br=384K
ffmpeg=j:\pyTivo-2007-12-09\ffmpeg.11143\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
ffmpeg_prams=-vcodec mpeg2video -maxrate 17Mi -qscale 1.2 -async 48000 -bufsize 1024k -comment pyTivo.py -acodec ac3 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 48000 -f vob -

[Videos]
type=video
path=c:\Videos
auto_subshares=true

Your pytivo.conf file will be different if you're using it with a Series2. Probably something more like this :

Code:
[Server]
Port=9044
GUID=314257
debug=true
audio_br=192K
video_br=5Mi
width=544
height=480
ffmpeg=j:\pyTivo-2007-12-09\ffmpeg.11143\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

[Videos]
type=video
path=c:\Videos
auto_subshares=true

Make sure you use paths that are correct for YOUR installation.
What is it that the GUID value does, exactly? is that number you're using valid across the board or does the input need to be unique to the user? If so, how do I determine mine?

Thanks
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #1451
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclone View Post
What is it that the GUID value does, exactly? is that number you're using valid across the board or does the input need to be unique to the user? If so, how do I determine mine?

Thanks
The best answer I've seen on GUID is in post #1365 (easily found by searching this thread on "GUID" , hint, hint. )

It stands for "Globally/Universally Unique Identifier".

Here is a web page that will generate a GUID and gives more info.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 12-23-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #1452
MacerX

Feature Request

I have a feature request. I will try to post on the wiki too when I get a chance.

auto_subshares=level2

The goal would be to have the first level folder in Tivo NPL be named as in my pyTivo.conf file and when I enter that folder, have every deeper file appear with folder path like it does with auto_subshares=true today. This enables access to all shared files no matter the share depth and eliminates the clutter on the main Tivo NPL.

This theoretically seems doable with my limited knowledge of the subfolder limitations. If I had more experience with this stuff, I would try to modify the pyTivo myself, but what would take an expert a few minutes would probably take me hours.

Thanks,
DB
MacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #1453
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Playlist support for MP3's

Here. Currently M3U only, but it works with Internet radio as well as your own files. This is in the form of a replacement for the existing music module. (I know armooo wants us to use git, but I have yet to learn it.)
Old 12-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #1454
Proxima

Quote:
What version is your TiVo software?

When you tried to transfer after modding Transcode.py did you see ffmpeg start to transcode in the command window? Did the output video track say it was 544x480? Actually if you could copy that part the command window and post it I would be interested.

If you can't get ANY files to go back with Desktop, that suggests a problem other than pyTivo. Try sending a TiVo transferred from your TiVo. Be sure you have the TiVo beacon started, of course. If that works, try sending the same file via pyTivo. The TiVo beacon is NOT needed for pyTiVo.
Tivo software 9.1-01-2-540

what command window? There's suppose to be a command window?

I'm trying a transfer now...2 hours for a 30 min show geez
Old 12-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #1455
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Tivo software 9.1-01-2-540

what command window? There's suppose to be a command window?

I'm trying a transfer now...2 hours for a 30 min show geez
You must be running pyTivo as a service. It will be easier to troubleshoot if you just run it as a program. Then a command window will come up when it's running. Shut down the service. Launch pyTivo by double-clicking the piTivo.py file.

Which transfer is taking so long? pyTivo or Desktop?

and
Old 12-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #1456
Proxima

Quote:
You must be running pyTivo as a service. It will be easier to troubleshoot if you just run it as a program. Then a command window will come up when it's running. Shut down the service. Launch pyTivo by double-clicking the piTivo.py file.

Which transfer is taking so long? pyTivo or Desktop?
I was using Desktop to move a file from the Tivo to the computer. After it finshed, about 10 minutes ago, I tried to transfer back using the Desktop and it failed.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #1457
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I was using Desktop to move a file from the Tivo to the computer. After it finshed, about 10 minutes ago, I tried to transfer back using the Desktop and it failed.
I know there are 540 users on this thread -- I hope they will chime in if they have any ideas.

At this point I think you have a network/hardware/software problem that is not particular to pyTivo. I suggest you start a new thread on your problems using Desktop. Give all the details in your first post -- everything about your software versions, hardware, etc. I'm out of ideas at the moment.

In fact, problems with Desktop are subjects for TiVo tech support too.

Good luck and sorry I didn't help!

and
Old 12-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #1458
wgw

Has anyone else modified their pyTivo to output 1024x576? I'm sending a lot of high def Tivo recordings back to the tivo this week. And they have to be transcoded to lower the bitrate due to the bugs in the Tivo software. I started using 720x480 to get faster transcoding and smaller file sizes, but changing the PAR from 1:1 to 32:27 doesn't sound like a good idea. 1024x576 seems to be a good compromise between 1280x720 and 720x480 since it maintains the 1:1 PAR, and results in a transcode speed almost as fast as 720x480, as well as a similar file size. I also agree with some of the other posters who have commented that lowering the resolution and letting the Tivo resize on playback seems to work better than transcoding at 1280x720.

Is it a good idea to maintain the 1:1 PAR, or should I ignore it? And does 1024x576 sound like a good resolution that should be added to pyTivo as valid widths and heights? I was also wondering if maybe this resolution should be added as the default height width setting for files sent to HD Tivo's if the source is 720p or above, unless the user overrides it with a different setting?
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #1459
billyedmonson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
Well, I created a .NET application that aides in creating meta data information for video files.

You can download it here

Basically I am getting the information from two places:
For movies, I am using Movie-XML. An example of the data that is retrieved from this site is located here.

For TV Shows, I am using theTVDB.com. An example of the data retrieved from this site is located here. and here.

To get the seriesID, I am using the list that PaulS created. It's about 90% complete, so if you find a series that isn't there, email me the series name and the ID and I will add it to the list and update everything.

This is my first venture into writing an application and giving it out to people.

I want to thank ruttmeister for his testing and giving advice on the metadata. He really helped me get everything together.

Also I would like to thank Regeg for his testing and help as well.

Let me know of some issues that you have with this...you MUST have an internet connection and you MUST also have .NET 3.5 as well on your machine.

Enjoy
MasterCephus...first of all, I love your program. It saved me tons of time. However I did notice that when creating a txt file for a tv series, the output txt file has an error in it.

"seriesid" should be "seriesId" otherwise the shows will not group on the NPL. Overall a very good program. Thanks
billyedmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #1460
Vcd_Junky

MasterCephus, any luck with getting the rating (x out of 10) and category (comedy, action, etc.) added to your program like we talked about in SCRUM a few weeks back?
Vcd_Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #1461
pesto126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacerX View Post
I have a feature request. I will try to post on the wiki too when I get a chance.

auto_subshares=level2

The goal would be to have the first level folder in Tivo NPL be named as in my pyTivo.conf file and when I enter that folder, have every deeper file appear with folder path like it does with auto_subshares=true today. This enables access to all shared files no matter the share depth and eliminates the clutter on the main Tivo NPL.

This theoretically seems doable with my limited knowledge of the subfolder limitations. If I had more experience with this stuff, I would try to modify the pyTivo myself, but what would take an expert a few minutes would probably take me hours.

Thanks,
DB
Lol.. this was my question post from the last 2 pages - I thought this was something that could be done... seems to make sense that you'd want a top level share with subshares under it - but looks like this isn't an issue with pytivo.. but instead a lack of understanding how Tivo handles subfolders and folders in general. I'd love this feature to keep the NPL clean as you mention - was what I was asking to do since I figured this would be a standard pytivo feature.

Love the software anyway and can of course live with the extra files on the desktop.
pesto126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #1462
billyedmonson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
Just wanted to give a 'shout-out' to all who have worked on this project. The new metagenerator is awesome. I do have a question about grouping. I have two shows both with the same series ID but when I transfer them over to the Tivo they don't group in a folder? I thought they should. Another one (sorry for being naive) what is the best way to find a "line" when editing a file in pyTivo, such as line 141---I'm thinking notepad is not the way to go? thanks.
I noticed the same problem as you and as I mentioned in an earlier post, the text file is being put out with "seriesid" instead of "seriesId". The uppercase "I" is very important. Until the program is repaired, I just used a find and replace text editor to replace the error on all text files at once. Or you could change each one manually. Then assuming the seriesId is correct, shows will group on the NPL. As for your second question, I assume you're talking about transcode.py or a similar file. You should be able to right click on the file, select "edit with Idle". This will bring up a window with the program text in it. Look at the bottom right corner for line number. Hope this helps.

Last edited by billyedmonson : 12-25-2007 at 12:09 PM.
billyedmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #1463
MasterCephus

Quote:
I noticed the same problem as you and as I mentioned in an earlier post, the text file is being put out with "seriesid" instead of "seriesId". The uppercase "I" is very important. Until the program is repaired, I just used a find and replace text editor to replace the error on all text files at once. Or you could change each one manually.
Sure, I'll fix this in my next release, which should be hopefully this weekend...

Quote:
MasterCephus, any luck with getting the rating (x out of 10) and category (comedy, action, etc.) added to your program like we talked about in SCRUM a few weeks back?
I think rating is out, because I don't think Tivo has of those constructs to handle it...but the category should be covered by the genres.

I think someone a couple of pages ago figured out that Tivo does undersand a ratings scheme...can anyone PM me the exact scheme Tivo uses? If so, I will add that to the update I am going to release soon.

Good to have you on here Junky
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #1464
hotwire32

Does pyTiVo support Network Drives?

I can get the local folders to come up in the list but when I try and set up a share that is a mapped network drive I get that the folder can't be displayed. Any ideas why?
hotwire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #1465
MasterCephus

I am using a linux box that is my file server and I am mapping the share as a drive and everything works perfect for me...

Can you see the mapped drive when you open explorer?
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #1466
jcthorne

I am obviously missing something. Is your display a lower resolution than 1280?

Why would you want to lessen the resolution of a video, store it on Tivo and then have Tivo upconvert it to your output resolution? Would you not want the highest original res available? I could understand if the original source were lower, the upconvert by tivo would indeed make more sence than an upconvert before transfer.

Not trying to be a smartalec just do not understand where you are headed with this and I guess fear I may have missed something. Indeed processing and transfering 1280 resolution HD video files is a time consuming process. But they do look far better on my Tivo and display than 720 res files to me. I do down res any 1920 res files I get to 1280 as my display is 'only' 1366 so no need for data I cannot display.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #1467
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Yes, the seriesid must not only be valid, it must be KNOWN by your tivo from its current guide data or previous recording when it was current. If you want to choose a series id from the lists published here, you may first record one episode from the series to enable that series id then TTCB the remainder of the shows you want in that group. You can even delete the original recording that created the group and the series group will remain. If the series id does not appear in your current guide data for recording, you cannot use it.
This is very true. I wrote a tcl program to do groups. I had to take old seriesID's from other shows, and grouped episodes under that number, then deleted the original show that used the group.

Note, if new episodes of the series i deleted come in, they get put in the folder too

This is back in 4.01 series 2 days, 2004 or so.
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #1468
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
No I think they have to be actual IDs for them to be recognized. As you have seen, it seems to know what series the ID is tagged by it, so you can group them that way, but they will probably have a different name than your show.
True

I have tcl scripts that can change the names in a series id for the folder, then you can put your programs into that series id, and they do indeed group.

The series ID must be valid and you must rename the id to a different name.

I also have ALL tivo bits defined. I had written Parsexmlguide.vb years back and did lookups and slices for tivos for canadian people when they couldnt subscribe in Canada yet.

The program has all the difinitions and when/how they are used in comments.
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #1469
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The other PyTivo

I just Googled "pytivo", and found this:

http://douweosinga.com/projects/pytivo

It looks like he had first claim on the name, but it also looks like he hasn't updated the project in three years.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #1470
knitsafghans

Problems with PAL VOB's

Have S3 TIVO.

Had a 2 episode DVD.

Meat of the disk has 6 18 min VOB's.

Successfuly transfered and watched 1-3 (episode a), 5&6 also transfer, #4 does not.

So... I dvdshrink it, just episode b, get 3 new vobs,

start to transfer the first vob, get and watch 10 mins of it (tivo shows its length as 18 mins), then transfer dies - error 10054 Connection reset by peer...

Im using the version for 12/09/07 -

[Server]
port=9032

ffmpeg=c:\Python25\pyTivo071209\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
debug=false
[_tivo_00000DEADBEEF]

[MyVid3]
type=video
path=D:\My Docs\My Videos
auto_subshares=True
debug=True
knitsafghans is offline   Reply With Quote