TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #241
windracer
joined the 10k club

S-Cards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #242
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
S-Cards.
Hmm, I'm in a different market (Birmingham) but the implementation might be similar. I started losing a bunch of ADS channels. Last week they came out (without M-cards as requested) and I was told that they never actually tested S-cards to make sure they worked with the new ADS, and now recognized there was a problem with S-cards and were working on it, but haven't figured it out. I have an appointment to try some M-cards to see if that fixes the problem (they claim it works on M-cards, but we'll see). They were supposed to be out this morning, but hey, you know how that goes...
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #243
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

So, they swapped out the S cards for M cards. Once they sent the authorization through, I got my missing ADS channels. Curiously, before the authorization the same 'some' of the ADS showed up, but not others. After authorization, everything showed up.

Odd. But I'm happy.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #244
EpcotEric

I'm in the same area as windracer and I'm having the same problem. CSR said they have to send out a tech to swap out cards. BHN in Tampa/St. Pete is not mapping ADS on CableCARDs, just the Set-top Boxes. For CableCARDs, they're just passing the analog signal, which is blocked out on those certain channels for some reason.

CSR acknowledges they are having multiple major issues with CCs since the lineup change but insists a truckroll is necessary. Tech will be out on Thursday. I'll update as I find out what is happening.

BTW, 2 currently 2 SA S-Cards in a S3.
EpcotEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #245
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotEric View Post
I'm in the same area as windracer and I'm having the same problem. CSR said they have to send out a tech to swap out cards. BHN in Tampa/St. Pete is not mapping ADS on CableCARDs, just the Set-top Boxes. For CableCARDs, they're just passing the analog signal, which is blocked out on those certain channels for some reason.

CSR acknowledges they are having multiple major issues with CCs since the lineup change but insists a truckroll is necessary. Tech will be out on Thursday. I'll update as I find out what is happening.

BTW, 2 currently 2 SA S-Cards in a S3.
Set your tuner to one of the 'bad' channels and the other you know if analog and go to the cablecard diagnostics (settings->cablecards->either one-> diagnostics (shows for both cc). If the modulation for the 'bad' channel is QAM 256 they are not passing it through as analog, that is a digital signal. You should be able to see on the analog channel that it is of modulation analog.

If it the same as my scenario, they haven't authorized the cards correctly. In my instance, something with the S-cards (firmware or software) was not compatible with their authorization technique.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #246
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler View Post
If the modulation for the 'bad' channel is QAM 256 they are not passing it through as analog, that is a digital signal. You should be able to see on the analog channel that it is of modulation analog.
The Test Channels feature in the CableCARD menu skips over the "bad" channels completely. If I check the Diagnostics page, it just says "not tuned: wrong card state."

|
Old 12-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #247
EpcotEric

Quote:
The Test Channels feature in the CableCARD menu skips over the "bad" channels completely. If I check the Diagnostics page, it just says "not tuned: wrong card state."
Same here. Channel 8 shows analog modulation, channel 40 shows "not tuned: wrong card state" and all other fields are blank for that tuner. BHN really screwed things up I guess.

I'll find out more Thursday sometime from 5 to 8pm.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #248
Roderigo

Quote:
I think if Test Channels skips over the channel, then it's not defined in the channel list from the cablecard. So, the tivo service lineup isn't matching the cablecard lineup.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #249
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post
I think if Test Channels skips over the channel, then it's not defined in the channel list from the cablecard. So, the tivo service lineup isn't matching the cablecard lineup.
I agree! The question is what did BHN do that caused those channels to disappear from the CableCARD lineup? And why can't they figure it out? From my conversation with the BHN rep, this is affecting all CableCARD users, not just the folks with TiVos.

|
Old 12-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #250
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Bummer. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 AM   #251
TomRaz

Have you tried to reboot your Tivo HD or Series 3 to see if that resolves the missing channels ?

Do you have a list of the channels that you are not able to receive ?

I love the good old BHN slogan of I need to send a tech out.

Hopefully someday they will get their head out of the sand and actually troubleshoot a problem.
TomRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 AM   #252
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz View Post
Have you tried to reboot your Tivo HD or Series 3 to see if that resolves the missing channels ?
Of course, I even had to do it multiple times while on the phone with the rep as he kept trying to "re-initialize" the cards.

Here was a fun one: he had my eject the cards while the box was running, then unplug the box, re-insert the cards, and power the TiVo back up. That didn't help either.

Quote:
Do you have a list of the channels that you are not able to receive ?
I listed them in this post.

|
Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #253
TomRaz

I figured you had tried a reboot but I figured I would ask

I had to reboot my Tivo HD with a single M card last week to see some of the new HD channels.

After the reboot the new HD channels worked fine.

I read your earlier post about the other non hd channels on BH that are not working.

When I got home tonight I checked all of the channels you had listed in your post and they all are working fine on my Tivo HD

Perhaps it is a S card vs M card issue ?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #254
windracer
joined the 10k club

Weird, and you're in the Tampa area too, right? Maybe it is an M-Card vs. S-Card issue then. In that case, a replacement would work as long as the tech brought M-Cards, and had three (two for my S3 and one for my THD).

Well, when I get back in town after the holidays, I'll try and tackle this again (assuming they haven't figured it out by then). In the meantime, I'll make sure my S2 covers recording anything I would want off of those missing channels.

|
Old 12-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #255
TomRaz

Yes Windracer I live in Pinellas county also.

Hopefully they will figure this out before you get a chance to troubleshoot.

Otherwise I guess they will have to try and bring you a couple of M cards

Good luck
Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #256
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Weird, and you're in the Tampa area too, right? Maybe it is an M-Card vs. S-Card issue then. In that case, a replacement would work as long as the tech brought M-Cards, and had three (two for my S3 and one for my THD).

Well, when I get back in town after the holidays, I'll try and tackle this again (assuming they haven't figured it out by then). In the meantime, I'll make sure my S2 covers recording anything I would want off of those missing channels.
It is certainly worth a shot if you can get the time off to meet the tech. I had absolutely no expectations that it would resolve my issue, but it did. It might be a systemwide Brighthouse programming issue.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #257
EpcotEric

Tech just left. They didn't have to replace any cards. They re-hit the cards and I restarted the TiVo. After the restart, the channels still didn't show, then after about 10 minutes, all the channels started working again.

Apparently BHN was aware of the issue and just resolved it on the head-end yesterday.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #258
TomRaz

Another BHN send the tech onsite to resolve nothing that could not be resolved remotely.

Why does BHN understand it is cheaper to resolve issues remotely than onsite.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #259
windracer
joined the 10k club

My channels are working again too!

|
Old 12-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #260
TomRaz

I am glad yours starting working also, perhaps BHN finally figured out what was wrong on the head end.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #261
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler View Post
So, they swapped out the S cards for M cards. Once they sent the authorization through, I got my missing ADS channels. Curiously, before the authorization the same 'some' of the ADS showed up, but not others. After authorization, everything showed up.

Odd. But I'm happy.
Man, I came back from seeing the fam for xmas and the channels are gone again. I hate Brighthouse.

Now I get to call and go through the clueless chain again, so they can send a tech specialized in cable cards out. So I get to take off work (again) and sit here while the tech comes in and calls the head end to fix it.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #262
guitardude5
Tivo Dude

I had a good experience with Brighthouse installing an M card in my new Tivo. I posted in another section, but I thought I would also post here. I thought most people would post bad experiences but not take as much time to talk about the good. Here is my kudos to BHN (and no I don't work for them )

I called Monday to shedule the service and request an M card. The CSR knew exactly what I was asking for (Ryan was his name) and set me up for today. It sounded TOO easy. I called yesterday to confirm, and the second CSR also knew exactly what I was talking about and confirmed an M card install. This morning, two techs from a contracted company knocked on my door with a CableCard. I asked them if they had ever installed one in a Tivo, and the answer was no. They were both very nice, and I helped them along with the install. He popped the M card in slot 1, and it started updating from the cable signal. He called to activate the card, but it wouldn't take. He took out the card, went to his van to get another one, and put in the new card. That one worked right away. I ran the guided setup while the techs were here, and all was great. I had been fearing it would be a nightmare from the stories I have read that other have had as recent as a couple months ago.

As of this morning, all is still well.
guitardude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #263
rickmeoff

my mom is currently a BH subscriber in oldsmar, fl. just set her up with a new hdtv and ordered a tivo hd for her, and the box is scheduled to arrive by weeks end.

she currently has a cable box with sd hooked up to a s2 dt tivo, with hbo and sho.

do I simply call bh and tell them i need an m-card install, and an upgrade to their 'hd-pack?' what channels will she get/have available in hd (I checked the bh website, and it wasn't clear exactly what is available to her in hd....and for how much $).

im a dtv sub at my house, so all this bh cable stuff is very unfamiliar to me.

thx.

Last edited by rickmeoff : 12-29-2007 at 04:50 PM.
rickmeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #264
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeoff View Post
do I simply call bh and tell them i need an m-card install, and an upgrade to their 'hd-pack?'
She only needs the HD Pak if she wants Universal HD, Mojo, HDNet and HDNet Movies. All of the other HD channels are part of the normal digital cable package.

|
Old 12-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #265
rickmeoff

windracer, thank you.

so the cable box goes, replaced by the tivo hd with the m card. i doubt she cares about those channels, but i cant seem to find a list of the hd channels she'll receive. is hbo and sho in hd with bh?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 AM   #266
RobKFL

Quote:
windracer, thank you.

so the cable box goes, replaced by the tivo hd with the m card. i doubt she cares about those channels, but i cant seem to find a list of the hd channels she'll receive. is hbo and sho in hd with bh?
I'm in North Pinelles too, from this list

http://apps.tampabay.mybrighthouse.c...display_lineup

She'll get

Basic Channels
Standard Channels
Digital Channels
Digital Music

Anything else is extra and Brighthouse On-Demand will NEVER work with TiVo. It requires the Brighthouse Cable box. I've personally never used it and I had 2 cable boxes forever (no down to 1 on another TV).

Hope that helps.

Oops to answer you last question, no HBO or SHO HD without paying extra but she'll still get those channels regular.
RobKFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #267
rickmeoff

thanks rob, but im still kinda lost (and kinda stupid as well, lol). so it looks like she'll get:

704 - ESPN 2 HD
707 - ESPN HD
718 - BHN HD Sports 1
719 - BHN HD Sports 2
720 - Discovery HD Theater
721 - Discovery Channel HD
722 - The Science Channel HD
723 - Animal Planet HD
724 - The Learning Channel HD
725 - TNT HD
726 - TBS HD
727 - National Geographic HD
729 - Versus / Golf HD
730 - MHD (Music High Definition)
731 - Food Network HD
732 - HGTV HD
733 - A&E HD
734 - The History Channel HD
632 - WMOR HD
624 - WTOG HD
628 - WFTS ABC HD
610 - WTSP CBS HD
611 - WTTA MYTV HD
613 - WTVT FOX HD
608 - WFLA NBC HD
603 - WEDU HD

in her current package.

and since shes already an hbo/sho subscriber she is entitled to those hd channels too. have i got this now?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #268
RobKFL

Quote:
thanks rob, but im still kinda lost (and kinda stupid as well, lol). so it looks like she'll get:

704 - ESPN 2 HD
707 - ESPN HD
718 - BHN HD Sports 1
719 - BHN HD Sports 2
720 - Discovery HD Theater
721 - Discovery Channel HD
722 - The Science Channel HD
723 - Animal Planet HD
724 - The Learning Channel HD
725 - TNT HD
726 - TBS HD
727 - National Geographic HD
729 - Versus / Golf HD
730 - MHD (Music High Definition)
731 - Food Network HD
732 - HGTV HD
733 - A&E HD
734 - The History Channel HD
632 - WMOR HD
624 - WTOG HD
628 - WFTS ABC HD
610 - WTSP CBS HD
611 - WTTA MYTV HD
613 - WTVT FOX HD
608 - WFLA NBC HD
603 - WEDU HD

in her current package.

and since shes already an hbo/sho subscriber she is entitled to those hd channels too. have i got this now?
She'll get all those HD channels you listed but no HBO/SHO HD. That's another animal. She'll still get standard HBO/SHO she's always gotten. Maybe she can "crossgrade" or something. I haven't looked into it yet for mine.
RobKFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #269
rickmeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKFL View Post
She'll get all those HD channels you listed but no HBO/SHO HD. That's another animal. She'll still get standard HBO/SHO she's always gotten. Maybe she can "crossgrade" or something. I haven't looked into it yet for mine.

i thought since she already pays extra for hbo and sho she would be entitled to the same in hd (which is how dtv does it). so they make you pay a premium over the already paid premium to get those channels in hd?

wow, that sucks.

i guess i should get on the phone with bh and get all the info..........her tivo hd is scheduled to arrive here on friday, so i need to setup the cc install.

ill go through guided setup without the cc's to familiarize myself with the unit and have everything ready for bh.

this is exciting for me. ive been with dtv for years, and im really interested to see the comparison of the tivo hd vs my dtv setup.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #270
mohanman

I haven't gone through this threat, but if it is still concerning cable card companies not giving out cable cards, I highly recommend filing a complaint. I did the same with Comcast in Augusta, GA, and I gotta say, since I made a complaint, they have been doing an awesome job. They are on time, courteous, and they stay until the job is completed. Can't say the same for my experience with them in Chicago. Anyway, I had to file a complaint with the FCC to get anything done. So if it comes worse to worse, you could do that, just go to the FCC website.
Lates
Mo
mohanman is offline   Reply With Quote