TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #1381
dlfl
Cranky old novice

pyTivoMetaGen Ver. 0.32

(This is a program that generates pyTivo metadata files based on data it reads from .tivo files.)

Added the "showingBits" item. Download ***here***.

Remember to uninstall any previous version.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by dlfl : 01-14-2008 at 09:57 AM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #1382
ruttmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Thanks! Looking at your "notes", I have some insight on the "Showing Bits" number. It is a bit-flag encoded field, which means if you express the number in binary format, a 1 or 0 in a particular column means the feature is on or off. The conversion between normal (decimal) and binary is easily done in the Windows calculator, or in any programming language -- and I assume in Excel. Your data shows the following flag assignments:

Bit# Feature
0 CC
1 Stereo
2 Sub
3 In prog
4 Class
5 SAP

Where bit #0 is the right-most binary column, #1 is the second from right, etc. The decimal equivalent of a bit# is just 2 raised to the bit# power, i.e.,
bit #0 = 1
#1 = 2
#2 = 4,
etc.
Thus to find out what the decimal numbers above 53 do you only need to try values of 64, 128, 256, etc. until nothing happens or it crashes.

Thanks a lot for the help. I could see an exponential pattern there, but I just didn't look closely enough. I got an email off the web form on my page that really explained what was happening pretty well also, and between the two of you, I've got it all figured out. I'm working on gettting this in my generator, but it might be a couple days before it's working the way I want.

Anyways, thanks again!
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
- d421

ruttmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #1383
scrappydog65
Long Time TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Can you explain this a bit more?

I think this is what I am running into myself. I 've turned off the software firewall (Zonealarm) and shut off Wireless Security on my Linksys. Still, I can't get pyTivo to work. Something in my network set-up is preventing it, I think.
Hercules67,

I read on the pyTivo site that the beacon setting is useful when there VPN software installed or I suppose if the machine has multiple NIC's. Basically, I think it tells pyTivo where to look for the TiVo's. My Cisco VPN software always seems to give me trouble, but the Beacon setting fixed that.

For example, if your TiVo IP address is 192.168.2.15, then you would set your Beacon setting to 192.168.2.255. The 255 part is like a wildcard, so the software interprets it as 192.168.2.*. You can find out the IP address of your TiVo by looking under System Information (or maybe it's Phone & Network Settings) on the TiVo.

As for ZoneAlarm and the LinkSys router, this may or may not resolve that problem. It would depend upon where the block is. If the Beacon value is set appropriate, then you could theoretically rule out pyTivo as the cause. Then, it's a matter of ruling out the other two. Try shutting down ZoneAlarm entirely and then restart pyTivo. If it works, then you know the cause (though maybe not the resolution).

I hope this makes sense. Good luck.

Mike
scrappydog65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #1384
jcthorne

Need some help with MKV files. Some work fine when converted for Tivo and some have BAD audio sync problems. I can reproduce the problem on the PC using ffmpeg and converting to an mpg file....it plays with the out of sync audio just like on the TIVO. The original file plays fine. The problem seems to be much worse with files containing DTS audio and being converted to ac3.

Anyone else seeing this anomoly with ffmpeg and pytivo?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #1385
briankasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Need some help with MKV files. Some work fine when converted for Tivo and some have BAD audio sync problems. I can reproduce the problem on the PC using ffmpeg and converting to an mpg file....it plays with the out of sync audio just like on the TIVO. The original file plays fine. The problem seems to be much worse with files containing DTS audio and being converted to ac3.

Anyone else seeing this anomoly with ffmpeg and pytivo?
I'm not seeing that problem, but I have been able to use tools other than ffmpeg to extract DTS audio streams from MPEG-2 sources, transcode them into AC3 and remultiplex them with the original video stream to create a new MPEG-2 that my S3 can play with no synch problems.

I've only done this with MPEG-2 sources, but the tools I'm using might work with MKV as well -- or you may be able to find an MKV demultiplexer that can extract the tracks in the correct formats and an MKV multiplexer that can recombine them.

I use BBDMux to extract the video and audio streams, Foobar2000 to convert the DTS stream to a 6-channel WAV file, the Aften AC3 encoder to convert the WAV file to AC3, and MuxMan to combine the original video with the new AC3 stream. The end result of this process is a video with 5.1-channel Dolby Digital sound that plays without any synch problems on my S3 using TTCB+TiVo Desktop.

-B
briankasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #1386
bcwaller

I have not had a chance to convert files for my TiVo, but I have had no failures converting MKV files to AVI files with ffmpeg. I do have to manually set the frame rate (for some reason it is automatically setting to 0.8 fps or something like that), but I convert files for viewing from my Mac this way.
bcwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #1387
MasterCephus

MetaGenerator v1.0

Well, I created a .NET application that aides in creating meta data information for video files.

You can download it here

Basically I am getting the information from two places:
For movies, I am using Movie-XML. An example of the data that is retrieved from this site is located here.

For TV Shows, I am using theTVDB.com. An example of the data retrieved from this site is located here. and here.

To get the seriesID, I am using the list that PaulS created. It's about 90% complete, so if you find a series that isn't there, email me the series name and the ID and I will add it to the list and update everything.

This is my first venture into writing an application and giving it out to people.

I want to thank ruttmeister for his testing and giving advice on the metadata. He really helped me get everything together.

Also I would like to thank Regeg for his testing and help as well.

Let me know of some issues that you have with this...you MUST have an internet connection and you MUST also have .NET 3.5 as well on your machine.

Enjoy
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #1388
tedmundson

Awsome Thanks you
tedmundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #1389
wrg
Wife jealous of TIVO

Will it work with iTunes"

Wil pyTivo get iTunes purchased video into the Tivo?
wrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #1390
MasterCephus

Quote:
Wil pyTivo get iTunes purchased video into the Tivo?
Nope...thanks DRM!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #1391
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
Well, I created a .NET application that aides in creating meta data information for video files.
..........Let me know of some issues that you have with this...you MUST have an internet connection and you MUST also have .NET 3.5 as well on your machine......
Very nice! My first two such applications (C# .NET) are linked at the bottom of this post.

It worked fine for me.

You might consider www.mediafire.com for hosting your programs. It strikes me as a little less tedious than the one you're using, e.g., it doesn't make you type in security letters.

I wonder if the option of just outputting the metadata text file without having to choose a video would be desirable?

Was this done in VB or C#? Is there actually a .NET framework 3.5 out? Your program seemed to run fine on a computer with just 2.0 installed (?).

and
Old 12-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #1392
MasterCephus

Quote:
Very nice! My first two such applications (C# .NET) are linked at the bottom of this post.

It worked fine for me.

You might consider www.mediafire.com for hosting your programs. It strikes me as a little less tedious than the one you're using, e.g., it doesn't make you type in security letters.

I wonder if the option of just outputting the metadata text file without having to choose a video would be desirable?

Was this done in VB or C#? Is there actually a .NET framework 3.5 out? Your program seemed to run fine on a computer with just 2.0 installed (?).
I wrote it in Visual Studio 2008 and had 3.5 checked, so I assumed... maybe not

I did it in C#

I didn't know where to host it...just needed a place to host it...I might change it...does mediafire keep a count on the times a file is downloaded?

Quote:
I thought about that, but you can just select all files in the list and save it to any file and change the name later. If everyone would like the option to just save the text file as anything, I will make that change.

One thing I have noticed is that it takes a little bit of time to get responses back from movie-xml. Their server must be slow.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #1393
dlfl
Cranky old novice

@MasterCephus
Mediafire.com does keep a count of downloads.

I am interested in how you get the data from Movie-XML. Do you just do the right uri in a POST or GET and the XML comes as the response? (I have done this with the webRequest class to get the TiVo NPL xml.) I poked around their site and links but got pretty confused. If you're willing to share some knowledge you might save me a lot of time! You could PM me to spare the thread readers the gory details. Code snippets would really be great, if you're willing. This is just for learning. I was toying with writing an app similar to yours but there's no need now!

and
Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #1394
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
If your software is open source, consider SourceForge.net.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #1395
wombat94

MasterCephus,

Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to try it out tonight when I get home from work.

Are you thinking of open sourcing the .Net code for this?

I have started looking into writing a Windows Home Server add-in that would provide a GUI to the configuration of pyTivo and have thought of adding a Metadata generator directly to that GUI.

I haven't looked into the web crawling aspect of the project yet (and may not need to since there are other solutions like yours coming along), but I'd still like to be able to provide a WHS tab that can do the job.

Thanks for your contributions to the community.

Ted
wombat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #1396
Sicklybutsexy

Which version of pytivo do I have to have to use this metadatagenerator?
Sicklybutsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #1397
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklybutsexy View Post
Which version of pytivo do I have to have to use this metadatagenerator?
I think the latest build (d4219....) would be the best. It needs a few code edits to correct minor problems as noted in Tickets 57,58 and 62 in the Wiki but probably would be usable without them.

and
Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #1398
joe2748

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I didn't see any other place that fit to put this. It looks like the thread jumps around a lot anyway.

So I got pytivo working, but I tried to transcode a corrupt file which naturally didn't work. Now when I go to transfer a show I get the message "This program has been added to the to do list and will be transferrred to ** aver previously requested programs have finished transferring". I cleared the to do list, reset, and waited a day, but I still have the same trouble.

Any idea how to fix this? Is pytivo confused, or is it the tivo itself?
Thanks for any help, and if there is a better place to post this please let me know.
joe2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #1399
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2748 View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I didn't see any other place that fit to put this. It looks like the thread jumps around a lot anyway.

So I got pytivo working, but I tried to transcode a corrupt file which naturally didn't work. Now when I go to transfer a show I get the message "This program has been added to the to do list and will be transferrred to ** aver previously requested programs have finished transferring". I cleared the to do list, reset, and waited a day, but I still have the same trouble.

Any idea how to fix this? Is pytivo confused, or is it the tivo itself?
Thanks for any help, and if there is a better place to post this please let me know.
Very unlikely pyTivo is confused after you restart it. You could check Processes in Task Manager looking for python, pytivo and ffmpeg rogue processes (when pyTivo isn't supposed to be running).

Have you rebooted your TiVo? (I guess that's what you mean by reset?)

If you're running pyTivo as a service, try shutting it down and running the command line version.

What version of pyTivo. What equipment?

and
Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #1400
joe2748

I've totally rebooted the computer, so any rogue processes are now long gone, although I am running pytivo as a daemon.
I have rebooted the tivo, I'm running pytivo 2.08, a series 2 tivo, and ubuntu gutsy.
I don't know what other equipment information there is, but if you tell me where to look i can find it.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:08 PM   #1401
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2748 View Post
I've totally rebooted the computer, so any rogue processes are now long gone, although I am running pytivo as a daemon.
I have rebooted the tivo, I'm running pytivo 2.08, a series 2 tivo, and ubuntu gutsy.
I don't know what other equipment information there is, but if you tell me where to look i can find it.
What is your network setup? Do most files transfer OK? Is your transfer speed greater than real time?
Does the problem file have a glitch at the same place when played in a software player?

I would try rebooting the TiVo again -- only takes a few minutes.

Run pyTivo as a program and turn the debug config item on while you transfer the problem file.

In the past I've had this same kind of problem as have others. The pyTivo version and the TiVo software version can both impact it, unfortunately not in any predictable way AFAIK. Version 208 is getting a little old now -- you might want to try the latest version. Although most of the bug fixes since 208 have affected Windows versions only.

and
Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #1402
joe2748

Network setup is a router with a couple node machines and the tivo.
Files used to transfer faster than real time, and didn't have any problems until this.

Now nothing can transfer, because they all get put on the to do list.
I will reboot the tivo and run pytivo as a program in 20 min, I'm watching a show right now.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:00 AM   #1403
reneg

Quote:
@MasterCephus
Mediafire.com does keep a count of downloads.

I am interested in how you get the data from Movie-XML. Do you just do the right uri in a POST or GET and the XML comes as the response? (I have done this with the webRequest class to get the TiVo NPL xml.) I poked around their site and links but got pretty confused. If you're willing to share some knowledge you might save me a lot of time! You could PM me to spare the thread readers the gory details. Code snippets would really be great, if you're willing. This is just for learning. I was toying with writing an app similar to yours but there's no need now!
Examples of Movie-XML interface - http://www.movie-xml.com/?tab=interface which is like the TVDB interface - http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=xml.

Also, don't forget the requirements from TVDB.com:
Quote:
We have two requirements for anyone that uses these interfaces:

First, you MUST inform your users about this site and ask them to contribute.
Second, once you publicly release your program, plugin, or script, you MUST inform us about it. This way we can link back to you and keep tabs on everyone accessing the interfaces.

reneg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 AM   #1404
PeteTV

Custom Groups

Is it possible to create a custom Group?

I tried setting the seriesId to SH000000 for a couple files in the hope that maybe if it didn't exist it would use the seriesTitle, but it didn't work. It didn't group the files at all. I also tried SH999999, same results.

Next I tried SH000001 and sure enough that put the files in a group, but the group name was "Paid Programming".
PeteTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:26 AM   #1405
MasterCephus

Quote:
Is it possible to create a custom Group?

I tried setting the seriesId to SH000000 for a couple files in the hope that maybe if it didn't exist it would use the seriesTitle, but it didn't work. It didn't group the files at all. I also tried SH999999, same results.

Next I tried SH000001 and sure enough that put the files in a group, but the group name was "Paid Programming".
No I think they have to be actual IDs for them to be recognized. As you have seen, it seems to know what series the ID is tagged by it, so you can group them that way, but they will probably have a different name than your show.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #1406
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Examples of Movie-XML interface - http://www.movie-xml.com/?tab=interface which is like the TVDB interface - http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=xml.
Thanks reneg.

MasterCephus responded by PM. Interestingly, he is using the Movie-XML interface in a way that isn't documented in the link you provided, i.e., the seriesname query. This seems to give all the info you want in one shot, while starting with the moviename query would require another (id) query to get the details.

Also the instructions on the tvdb link have a serious typo that prevents anything you try from working: In their URL examples they use interface instead of the (correct) interfaces.

and
Old 12-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #1407
naclone

question for you metadata folks.

do you think there would be any way to force a seriesID on a program that is already in NPL? Or is the only way to transfer it with a corresponding text file via pytivo?

i hate the idea of having to transfer all my programs with TTG and then send them all back with pytivo and hope that no quality gets lost in translation. not to mention the time it would take.
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:02 AM   #1408
MacerX

Roadblock with Transcoding S3 HD recordings for S2 playback

I have 1 S3 HD Tivo and 2 S2 Tivos and pyTivo d4219 running on a Windows XP machine.

pyTivo appears to push the HD .Tivo file to the S2 without attempting to transcode as if it is assuming that any .Tivo file is compatible. Is this truely how pyTivo works?

Hypothetically, if the above is true, and the .Tivo file were converted to a .mpg file, then pyTivo/ffmpeg should recognize the file and Transcode it properly for the S2, right?

Does pyTivo/ffmpeg automatically recognize high frame rates as part of the transcode process for the S2? For example, if the source file were a 1280x720 60fps 65000kb/s mpeg2 video file with ac3 5.1 384 kb/s audio, will it trancode properly to 544x360 with padding and at a bit-rate and frame rate that is compatible with the S2?

Any other ideas or suggestions? Maybe example ffmpeg command lines that work for you? Also does anyone have a combination S3 and S2 setup with a monster pyTivo.conf file you could share for reference?

Og and thanks for everyone's hardwork and support with pyTivo and related tools and support! You're awesome!!!

Thank you,
DB
MacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:43 AM   #1409
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacerX View Post
pyTivo appears to push the HD .Tivo file to the S2 without attempting to transcode as if it is assuming that any .Tivo file is compatible. Is this truely how pyTivo works?
Yes.

Quote:
Hypothetically, if the above is true, and the .Tivo file were converted to a .mpg file, then pyTivo/ffmpeg should recognize the file and Transcode it properly for the S2, right?
Sure.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 AM   #1410
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacerX View Post
I have 1 S3 HD Tivo and 2 S2 Tivos and pyTivo d4219 running on a Windows XP machine.

Does pyTivo/ffmpeg automatically recognize high frame rates as part of the transcode process for the S2? For example, if the source file were a 1280x720 60fps 65000kb/s mpeg2 video file with ac3 5.1 384 kb/s audio, will it trancode properly to 544x360 with padding and at a bit-rate and frame rate that is compatible with the S2?

Any other ideas or suggestions? Maybe example ffmpeg command lines that work for you? Also does anyone have a combination S3 and S2 setup with a monster pyTivo.conf file you could share for reference?

Og and thanks for everyone's hardwork and support with pyTivo and related tools and support! You're awesome!!!

Thank you,
DB
If the file has a .tivo extension, it will be transferred back AS IS.

If the file is mpeg2 (.mpg), you don't have optRes configured, and your TSN doesn't indicate a HD TiVo model, the file will be transferred AS IS if the size is one of these:
suportedModes = [[720, 480], [704, 480], [544, 480], [480, 480], [352, 480]]
Otherwise it will be transcoded to the configured (or default) width and height with padding (letterboxing, pillarizing) as needed per the aspect169 setting

Don't set optRes unless you are willing to have a HD mpeg2 files transcoded at HD sizes.

For HD TiVos mpeg2 files are ALL transferred AS IS. You are asked to report what resolutions work for your model and which don't.

I assume you are using per-Tivo config sections. You definitely should for mixed SD/HD tivo setups.

If transcoding does occur, the framerate is forced to 29.97.

I think you can specify any ffmpeg parameters you want. I will let op tell you their suggestions or search this thread for the last month on keywords ffmpeg or ffmpeg_prams.

and