TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2007, 11:29 PM   #61
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Well, I wish this issue was as simple as a software problem. All of my SD DTiVos (7) are Zippered and locked at version 6.2-01-2-321.

One of my DSR7000s has recently developed this issue. I first thought the HDD had gone south, most pixelation issues I've dealt with involved HDD issues. True to course, if I yank the S-Vid all is well, plug it back in and it reappears almost immediately. I'm hoping that I won't see further degradation as I need to use both composite outputs in my current config. If I do see further problems I'll swap out a power supply with one of the other fully functional DTiVos and report the results back here.
PrimeRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:15 AM   #62
OhioUmpire

I have an HDVR2 if anyone is insterested in purchasing it. Someone might as well get some use out of it. Priv Msg me if you are interested.
OhioUmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #63
rbtravis

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnikki
Through trial and error, I have determined that the line 2 tuner in the DirecTivo box in my living room has gone partially bad. A number of channels get intermittently pixilated (garbled video and sound) including CNN, Comedy Central, Bravo, and TBS. Other channels are fine. It doesn't matter which input cable is going into the 2nd tuner - the problem persists there. The line 1 tuner has no problems with these same stations (and my other DirecTivo is having no problems at all eliminating a signal issue).

What I am wondering is if anyone knows how I can get this repaired? Anyone had this issue previously and is there a course of action I can take?

Given that the tuner is DirecTv specific, I assume that only they would have replacements - but with their move to the non-tivo boxes will they have any or provide any help (I've emailed them but am not optimistic)?

You guys are the greatest source of help so if there's an answer I know someone here has it. Thanks in advance
Mike
Try this:
http://www.ccscorporation.net/
they fix TiVos and Directv TiVo's series 2
Old 10-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #64
jap3

I've been searching for someone to describe the problem that my HDVR2 is having and this thread comes close, but not exact. Here's what's happening:

No matter which tuner or which channel, locals or the classic "cable" channels, I get a video problem akin to something like bad tracking on a VCR. My video is jumpy. If I pause at certain points, the video scrolls on the screen like the vertical hold is messed up. Some times it's fine with certain camera angles. Other times the video is garbled. It's fine in the same places with an 8 second replay and garbled in the same also.

I've tried swapping the SAT IN cables. I have a HR10-250 with no problems at all. Tried swapping cables with that. I've tried using composite instead of SVideo. Tried different inputs on my TV, both SVIDEO and composite. Tested the SV and composite on the tv with different devices, no problem with the TV. Tried the Tivo on a different TV, same problem.

Is there anything else I can do? Anyone know what the problem is? A push in the right direction would be appreciated if it's been answered already, I just can't find it yet.

Thanks in advance.
jap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #65
Bob3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotsonas
Hello,
I firmly believe that this is a software problem, (6.3e-01-2-151)...
It definitely isn't a software issue, I had a hard drive with 3.1.1e on it and it still had the same exact problem.

Also, I didn't see anyone mention this exactly but when I left my svideo cable plugged into the tivo, and unplugged it from my tv, the problem went away. So the signal, not the cable being plugged in, is the issue.

Other than never using svideo again, or someone mentioned replacing the power supply, has anyone else resolved this issue?
Bob3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #66
LeftBrain

I just finished replacing my power supply and have the same pixelation problems. It could be that the power supply I purchased has the same defective qualities as my old power supply (possible, I bought it off ebay to save $40). But more likely the problem lies with the motherboard. Very frustrating indeed!
LeftBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #67
patonenow

I deal with CCS a lot and they fix the receivers properly and do a great job. And not real expensive. They do a complete repair for $100 and that incluides both tuners as well as rest.
If you notice the s-video outputs are near what I will call a "hot spot" and that is why you may get the problems you have. Someone techinal could explain what I call a "hot spot" better and name it.
patonenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #68
pauldtaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotsonas View Post
Hello,
I firmly believe that this is a software problem, (6.3e-01-2-151).

If you are having problems with your HDVR2 signal breaking up ONLY on satellite 2 and you are using an s-video cable try these steps to confirm:

1. Put it on channel 201.
2. Test your satellite signal strength. (You should be on transponder 23)
3. You should see satellite 1 signal stay constant and satellite 2 signal will drop down to "no signal"
4. Pull the s-video cable and use a composite cable. This time the satellite 2 signal will remain constant, (it won't drop).

Now for proof that it is a software problem.
1. My HDVR2 is running version 6.3e-01-2-151 (satellite 2 breaking up)
2. I borrowed a friends HDVR2
3. I plugged the borrowed HDVR2 into the same satellite lines
4. Re-married my original card to the new tivo box
5. Dialed out to get any updates
6. Repeated the steps above to test signal strength
7. No problems. Satellite 2 has a constant signal.
8. The software version of this tivo is 6.2a-01-2-351

Further proof that this is a software problem.
My parents also have an HDVR2 box where satellite 2 is breaking up. Their tivo software version is also 6.3e-01-2-351. I walked them through the confirmation steps to visually see that only satellite 2 signal is dropping off.

I hope that this helps all of you who have been extremely frustrated lately thinking that you have a bad tuner 2.

Erik

I have exactly the same problem.
Ever since I got 6.3e, tuner 2 breaks up on channels over 200.
Did the above test and got the same breakup on 201 and transponder 23 signal goes on and off.
Unplugging S video doesn't change anything.
pauldtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #69
Tim Weaver

I had this problem with a Samsung SIR-S4080R unit and lived with it for aobut a month before I was able to understand what was happening. I sent it to CSS Corporation (800-354-3114) for repair. I had it back in less than a week and it is now working fine. They charged $100 including return shipping. It was a great service experience!
Tim Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 AM   #70
jonceramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeRisk View Post
Well, I wish this issue was as simple as a software problem. All of my SD DTiVos (7) are Zippered and locked at version 6.2-01-2-321.

One of my DSR7000s has recently developed this issue. I first thought the HDD had gone south, most pixelation issues I've dealt with involved HDD issues. True to course, if I yank the S-Vid all is well, plug it back in and it reappears almost immediately. I'm hoping that I won't see further degradation as I need to use both composite outputs in my current config. If I do see further problems I'll swap out a power supply with one of the other fully functional DTiVos and report the results back here.
I've been having the same issues, and blaming 1. 6.3e 2. Dish position slipping(?) 3. HD going bad or some other mysterious issue.

Well, I've got my HD upgrade running in the basement (HDVR2 upgraded to 120, and now getting a 200Gig). And I see 6.3f is coming (someday.) And, my Dish position isn't that bad (worst is 60%, most at 90%.)

And then I find this thread.

And, since I'm upgrading the HD, I have the case off. And, I gotta say, as a victim of the Apple iBook video chip separation (google "ibook fire video repair") and as an amateur vintage arcade enthusiast, I think we have a likely classic case of some solder gone bad folks.

Those satellite cables are thick and heavy. My WAG guess? Thats enough weight and enough time has flexed the boards, and there's a solder trace somewhere that is shorting. And the S-video is directly next to #2. The s-video in or out is probably just a way to add or lose pressure that fixes the intermittent short. (Hence reports of it only working for a while.)

This damn board is locked in with twisted metal tabs and torx screws. And even if I pulled it up, it's got teeny tiny traces that my craptastic soldering skills are powerless against.

And so, cudos and $'s to those folks at CCS who've figured out just what is breaking, how to take the boards out, and how to solder them back properly (if that's what the problem actually is).

I just have to decide how long I want to live with either a. composite vs. s-video or b. all my kid's shows being f'd up.

Jon
jonceramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #71
Woodenspoke

I had the S video Jack hooked up to a DVD Recorder and it just died, so I cannot get a signal on the S video jack on anything. RCA model Direct Tivo. Just realized the jack is garbage as are the connections to the board for that jack. Broken what do you expect I just use the RCA cable video jack.

I also had a crew in here replacing my HD Tivo HR10 with the HD HR21 at no charge. I was not able to get my two RCA's swapped for free only an HD to HD free swap. But the repair guy said if one of my RCA units was broken they would upgrade you for free. I suggest giving them a call tell them no picture or pictures breaks up. When the Sat guys arrive reattach the S video cable. FYI they will also change out the ant for free. Besides at some point they have to replace all the old Tivo units anyway. These installers don't give a hoot what they do as long as they are told to do it.

After one day I find the new system is OK but not as easy as the Tivo software; but I love all the HD stations. The new box also works with a standard TV so you don't have to have all the latest gear but a. One major drawback is you cannot run a separate off air antenna through the box and no coax connectors out but I always used the TVs input anyway, Plus caller Id on screen. Also has Ethernet that will connect to the network but serves no function yet. But it has been only one day so I have much to figure out.

has standard s video and yellow RCA outputs for older TVs as well as one RGB and one HDMI out so it pretty much is universal for any TV built in the last 10 years.

Give them a call see if they will do a swap for free worst case is they say no and use continue to use he yellow video jack. I would not mention this works.

GB

Last edited by Woodenspoke : 01-17-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Woodenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #72
tedrodgerscpa

Hey, brand new poster here, but I wanted to share my experience with the S Video / missing transponders experience.

My situation was identicle to the OP, and thanks to everyone's advice here, I am back up and running by simply switching from S Video to Composite. So, to all that helped troubleshoot this problem, I humbly give thanks!

Best,

Ted
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #73
mikesmithfl
Used Register

S-video vs HD

Ok - conspiracy theory alert!

How 'bout this: Both tuners use software to handle the video output through the gizmo (tech talk for the whatchamacallit) that feeds the S-video out as well as the composite out. The S-video is dramatically better than composite, even on an analog TV.

In order to demonstrate how much better the HD is than SD on S-video, the algorithm for the output signal sent to the S-video jack uses a lower signal to noise ratio now than it did before. The firmware for processing the output might be independent of the software that runs the DVR... Just a theory. ;-)

Now, what about the OPEC conspiracy to use ...
Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #74
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmithfl View Post
Ok - conspiracy theory alert!
Seen an Amero recently?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #75
llurgy
Yorkshire Lass

I was having terrible pixel problems on TNT and Bravo on my R10 and on Superstation on my Standard definition Hughes.

I have waited to see if they come back but no, they have all disappeared since 6.3f was circulated.

I am still having some intermittent problems with reboots and other stuff but the pixel problems are in the past.
llurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #76
snickerrrrs
Tech-no Guide

I'm guessing all R10's are going to start needing hard drive soon, so you might want to consider purchasing one (weaknees.com and dvrupgrade.com for example) . I don't know about you, but my wife was constantly filling up our old hard drive with her programs till we got a new one.

1-R10 500GB 6.4a
1-SDDVR40 250GB 6.4a
1-HR10-250 1.5TB 6.4a
1-Premier (not activated)
1-Humax DRT800 8.1 (mothballed)
snickerrrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #77
ALooneyGuy

OK, for all of you folks who are having the tuner problem, you'll definitely want to read this. I was, and was just about at the point of sending it in for repair when I decided to disconnect the unit and take it to another part of the house and hook it up to a different satellite cable (knowing full good and well that wasn't the problem). After I moved it, the unit would no longer power up. Great, I thought. Now I can't even watch the shows I've recorded that were OK. So I decided to head over to Ebay and look for a used DSR704. I found one, won the auction, and the guy I bought it from was local, and was nice enough to bring it to me and refund my shipping costs. After I confirmed that the unit was working OK, my curiosity got the better of me. I pulled the power supply out of the newly purchased unit and put it in the old one. Guess what? The old unit now works perfectly! The point is A BAD POWER SUPPLY CAN DEFINITELY CAUSE TUNER PROBLEMS! My used unit cost less that a replacement power supply, and now I'm going to take a stab at repairing the faulty PS. There is a website that illustrates a bulging capacitor on this exact PS and how to repair it. That particular capacitor isn't bulging on mine, but one closeby is. Now if I can just find the part and brush up on my soldering skills, I might have 2 working DSR704's
ALooneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #78
EMUzing

pixalization

Hope this feedback helps some one.I have concluded that on my samsung sir tuner 2 started pixalizing when i started using the 2nd composite feed.First composite going to slingbox second composite going to zone 2 video switcher ,svideo going to local room.Using all these outputs caused issues on my tivo.I had to get rid of svideo feed and use compsite and this cured.I would rather use svideo feed but oh well.I was even ok using 1 svideo and 1 composite.As soon as i used 2nd composite problem started.Thanks to all who contributed to this thread....Cole
EMUzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #79
Mark Griswold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALooneyGuy View Post
There is a website that illustrates a bulging capacitor on this exact PS and how to repair it. That particular capacitor isn't bulging on mine, but one closeby is.
Is this the site you were referring to?

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Power-Supply/
Mark Griswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #80
DataDoc

I did the capacitor repair as I indicated here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...53#post6521453 and I not only solved my pixelation problem, but can use s-video again.
DataDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #81
sh0knah

S-Video Solution

I agree that the s-video being connected or not SHOULDN'T affect the recording. But, in a moment of desperation (I was actually contemplating getting a DirecTV DVR ), I tried it.

Short story: it worked!

I was having intermitent freezing on my Tivo for months. It would just hang. I had to unplug it and reboot. I missed quite a few recordings that way. I was seriously frustrated.

Even when it was working, it would pixelate, stutter, etc., so badly on some shows that they were unwatchable.

So I noticed this in the forum. I thought, "That's impossible. That won't make a difference." But I (again, in desperation) walked over to my TV, unplugged the S-Video cable and plugged in the composite cables. (I had them there from a previous device.)

I am now 3 months WITHOUT A SINGLE PROBLEM. No freezing. No stuttering. No pixelization. And no frustration.
sh0knah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #82
cowmommy

I had this problem, only I wasn't using s-video and only had one set of A/V cables hooked into the back. I took it apart today and put another power supply in it that I wasn't sure if it was dead or not(it was LOL) but when I put the power supply back in that I had just taken out and blowed everything out with compressed air the second tuner is working again. So I'm not sure if it was just a loose connection or if it's just temporarily working but right now it's working. I'm not holding my breath though and if I can get my hands on a refurbished RCA DVR40 to have on hand for when this one totally dies I'm so going to get it
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #83
gquiring

I wish I found this thread before I did all this work. My HDVR2 started getting artifacts and constant searching for sat 2 messages. I swapped with another HDVR2 (where I only had 1 wire hooked up) and it had the same issues. So I assumed it was the 13 year old dish or wiring. I bought new wire and ran the cabling to my newer dish that has a HR22 connected to it. I was shocked that it did not solve the problem.

So I disconnected my SVideo cable and it is no better. I soft booted the DVR. Do you need to cold boot when switching to the composite?

Last edited by gquiring : 01-05-2009 at 07:53 AM.
gquiring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #84
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
<snip> ...I was shocked that it did solve the problem.
The new cabling solved the problem? Did you mean it didn't solve it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
So I disconnected my SVideo cable and it is no better. I soft booted the DVR. Do you need to cold boot when switching to the composite?
You don't need to reboot to change out the s-video or composite cables.

Maybe I'm not reading you correctly here, but it sounds like you have two different HDVR2s that pixilate/lockup/generally act badly when hooked up at a certain place in your house. Do either of them act ok at a different location in the house?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #85
gquiring

Ooops typo on my part. They did not work after the new cabling.

I have two HDVR's but one was always installed with one tuner in the basement. When the HDVR2 tuner 2 acted up in the den I swapped it for the one in the basement. It never crossed my mind that the DVR in the basement was connected with only one tuner and would have an issue with tuner 2.

I opened one of the HDVR's up and the cap's don't look swollen.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #86
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Smile

Ok, I missed that you had only used one tuner on the other HDVR2. I've had to replace power supplies on a few DTiVos that showed no indication of popped caps, but it is odd that both of them are acting up at the same time. It certainly is possible due to the age that all DTiVos are getting to now, but it just seems a little coincidental.

A couple quick questions: Are your DTiVos hacked and/or disconnected from phone lines so the software versions are up to date? Some older versions of the DTiVo software seemed to have an impact on tuner 2 occasionally not activating. The solution to this was to power cycle a couple times in place to get the 2nd tuner working.

A few easy straws to grasp at:

Check the signal coming to the TiVo->
You re-ran a new cable, but maybe it wasn't the cable. It could be the multi-switch (either inline or on the back of the dish). Bring up the tivo and and get good lock on tuner 1 then swap the cables between tuner 1 and 2 (on the TiVo end). If Tuner 1 is now at 0 signal and tuner 2 is good, you'll probably need to look upstream. (You may have already done this, but it never hurts to ask)

Check the plug->
Do you have a volt or multi-meter that you can check for voltage drop at the wall? I've run into a problem on a friend's home theatre where so much was plugged in to one electrical circuit that there was enough voltage drop cause all types of wierd issues with a computer and a DTivo.

If you don't have a meter, I recommend going back to the location in your house where you only have one hookup and booting up with a cable only on the 2nd tuner to see if that tuner comes up there. If it does, swap the cable to tuner 1 without rebooting and see if you can get both tuners to work. If it does, you need to look into what's going on in the other location.

If all of those things fail, I think you're looking at a powersupply fix.

Swap the powersupply vs. fix:
I'm handy enough with a soldering iron, but it's still a pain in the arse with no guarantee. Look for a cheap used DTiVo on craigslist.org (I often find them for $25-$30). Once you bag a cheap one on craigslist just hook it up in place (sans phoneline) and see if both tuners come up and let it run for a few hours (you'll get a great opportunity to see ALL the PPV previews). If all is well, then you have the choice of calling D* to see if the TiVo is clear of non-paid PPVs and etc and switch your account on to that box. If D* has a payment backlog on the unit you can crack the case and swap out the power supply with your TiVo and hope that it fixes up your unit.

Of course, if this works you now have yet another used powersupply that could last 20 hours or 20 years, but at least you'd have the time to order a new power supply from dvrupgrade or the caps and try out your own soldering skills.

Good luck, I hope you can get the dual tuners working again. Let us know.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #87
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

A follow up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeRisk (on 10-14-2007) View Post

Yes, I am quoting myself as a follow-up on my DTiVo that developed the pixelation issue a little over a year ago.

Said DTiVo has sadly bit the dust. Not long after I posted the above message I swapped out the power supply from a know good unit and was able to resume using both SVid and Composite. (Validating the theory that the PS was the culprit).

Unfortunately the issue re-appeared in November. Only on the occasional recording, but the frequency advanced over 3 days to any recording where TiVo was recording 2 shows at once; And a couple days later new trick appeared...random reboots and lockups. I pulled the SVid and the 2nd composite to no avail for either issue. I swapped powersupplies to another known good and it seemed to lessen the pixelation, but the reboot and lockup issue continued even after swapping in a new drive with a fresh image. Houston, we have a problem. There was something else terribly wrong with TiVo and it was time for the spare part pile.

Thus started the month-long multi-call ordeal with D* to swap out this TiVo with another boxed refurb I picked up awhile ago. This was my very first DTiVo...from 2002...and as such was the "master" unit on my account. D* apparently has significant difficulty swapping out the master unit when you are grandfathered into an old channel package. Dropping that package is ok, re-adding it again took an act of congress. Getting the price right again was even worse. To top it all, all of my units kept losing locals and the TiVos lost their authorization to record every Monday for a month. NASA is still working on figuring out the billing SNAFU created by adding, dropping, and re-adding all of my services 10x. 6 months at $10 off was called even. We've had smooth sailing for a month now, so I hope that ordeal is over.

R.I.P. Original DTiVo (3/2002 - 12/2008)
Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #88
gquiring

I will try another power source as that has crossed my mind that maybe that plug has a problem. But it is plugged into an APC UPS. Maybe the UPS?

As for the signal I have two dishes one 13yrs old and the other 1yr old. No extra multiswitches. The new dish has a HR22 on it which works perfectly. When I plug either of these HDVR2's into the new dish they both experience the tuner 2 issue.

What I did tonight before reading your ideas was to swap the HDVR2's again since the other one was sitting all night unplugged and is now cold. I blew out the crap in the fan and circuits. The fan was really clogged. When I fired it up no bouncing of 90 to 0 on tuner 2!! But this one gets 100% artifacts on all channels. So I decided to do a clear all. It's still processing.... I think I have two problems, this DVR may also have a bad hard drive.

Version on the hacked DVR is 6.4a. It has a 100gig drive in it because the original drive died very early on about 4 years go. The unhacked one (drive issue) I did not check the version. But both do have working phone connections.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #89
gquiring

Some interesting news. I decided since it was 11pm to just let it do a clear all and let it run the night. In the morning I went through the entire setup and for the last 2 days I have not had one flashing sat 2 message. The picture is perfect on both sats, no pixelation issues.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #90
TXKenny

tuner 2 gone bad / s-video anomily

Replacing the large caps in the power supply (under the regulator heat sink) has fixed my two DTIVOs (DSR-708s) for around $5.00. These caps are prone to fail over time under continuous heated use. Disconnecting the S-Video cable which temporarily corrects the tuner #2 problem only makes you think the problem is fixed but power supply failure is eminent due to the deterioration of one or more of the electrolytic capacitors on the power supply board. Reciever 2 is the first sign of problems and it becomes progressively worse until the DVR won't startup. At that point you think you have a dead hard drive. Simply replace those caps and everything works again. That's the story of my 2 DSR-708s and thanks to the instructables.com link here that I was able to figure it all out and save big $$.
TXKenny is offline   Reply With Quote