TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2007, 02:07 AM   #2611
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Tiv0s View Post
Hi all,

My loving wife purchased a TivoHD for my birthday. I must say that my first thoughts are varied.
Why does this thing not support standard TV? I understand that this is a device for the future, but why not support the current technology? This means that Tivo is relying on the vagaries of TWC customer support. This is a dicey bet to begin with.
Ok, I'll bite. How does the TiVo HD not support standard TV? It will display on standard definition televisions and works out of the box with OTA signals and standard analog cable.

Quote:
<Ordeal snipped>

So, I have some questions (Perhaps Rhetorical?)

Is it company policy to lie to customers?
Why make people drive around town?
That is rhetorical.
And this is part of the reason why I'm not in a rush to get Cablecards

Quote:
Will the technician bring an M CableCard?
Who knows? There have been reports that they are out of Cablecards until January.

Quote:
Why is it more than twice the price that anyone else in the forum has been quoted?
You can find Time-Warner's pricing guides below:
http://www.timewarnerla.com/pricingGuides/

For West Hollywood, Cablecards are $1.75 per card per month. Just like most areas of Los Angeles.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #2612
Midwest User1

Quote:
Hi all,

My loving wife purchased a TivoHD for my birthday. I must say that my first thoughts are varied.
Why does this thing not support standard TV? I understand that this is a device for the future, but why not support the current technology? This means that Tivo is relying on the vagaries of TWC customer support. This is a dicey bet to begin with.

Which leads to: The Time Warner Cable Card Nightmare

I called yesterday afternoon, and spoke to customer service rep: Trevor (service code Charlie37) This is actually how he answered the phone; quaint isn't it? I told him that I would like to order an M CableCard. He said that they can't specify which cards the techs grab and it would just be "luck of the draw" (Does he live in the old west or a war movie?) He added that each card would be $6.95 per month!! In response to my snickering, he suggested that I go pick up the CC at the TWC store. Finally, something that I can do.

I arrived at the TWC store directly from work; you know dressed to impress… The two women in the store were very friendly; though, they were completely clueless. They told me that they never have them, but the other store might. Thirty minutes of cross-town traffic later, I arrived at the other store. After standing in line for twenty minutes, I was told that they have cable cards in stock, but they are only for exchanges. That’s right, “We have them, but we can’t give them to you.” I was in shock, as customer-service-man-C37 (Hereafter known as CSMC37) claimed I could pick it up. After the tantric conversation with Kimke, (It felt like verbal Kama Sutra; that is, it was totally convoluted with things going every which way and not quite satisfying.) it became clear that I was lied to by both CSMC37 and the two women in the first TWC store.

So, I have some questions (Perhaps Rhetorical?)

Is it company policy to lie to customers?
Why make people drive around town?
Will the technician bring an M CableCard?
Why is it more than twice the price that anyone else in the forum has been quoted?
This, and many other users experiences, just show that Time Warner upper managment seems to have minimal involvement (if any at all) with making sure there's consistency with there employees that interface with customers. I'm very confident though that it's only a matter of time that some of the TW employees treat customers with enough disregard before they pick the wrong customer. I can't wait for someone that works in the media or the legal field to get that kind of treatment. Apparently some of the TW staff aren't aware of the fact that there is indeed competition and they are "HIGHLY" contributing to customers leaving the minute that they can. The Telco's are ramping up fairly agressively with offering their TV packages throughout the country. Of course there's already the Satellite company's.

The bottom line is people buy from people when you get to the basics and I won't feel sorry for any of those staff when they get downsized due to too many lost customers. Cableguy 763 can't make up for all of those other employees that are creating miserable experiences for customers.

Last edited by Midwest User1 : 12-13-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Midwest User1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #2613
UFGators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clam_Alert View Post
Well, TWC (Manahattan South) came out to me yesterday despite the fight I had with them last week about scheduling an appointment (see prior post). I must say that I am very pleased with the install process.

First, although I rescheduled from a 12-4pm block to a 2-6pm block, the technician came at about 1:30. I told her I could race home, but she said she would just take her lunch and get back to me at 2:30. Perfect.

When she came in, I immediately started asking whether the cable cards were new etc. She was familiar with all of the issues and responded with a big smile that she had a brand new multi-stream card that they just started rolling out for 3d party hardware in NYC. Popped the card in, called the powers that be, and tested a few channels in HD and premium on both tuners. Everything worked, she gave me a few tips about using the Tivo and checking the cable card status (her tips would have ben good had I not known them already), and she left. Ran guided setup again, and I was good to go.

The only little hiccup was last night when the card started going through a firmware update. Once the update completed, the Tivo's GUI worked over a black screen, but no recordings would play and there was no live TV. I waited more than an hour and nothing happened, so I reset the box. It started up perfectly. Finally a happy customer
(RE: TWC Manhattan & TivoHD)

The same thing happened to me when I called Time Warner Cable in Manhattan today. After getting bounced around to few times before finally landed with a rep that could place the order to have Cable Cards installed, she roadblocked me by saying that TWC only support Series 3 (models CD648250A/B). I was then forwarded to Customer Service who gave me the same spiel. Long story short, I ran out of time I had to spend on the phone with the CSR so I decided I'd call back when I had more time and could do more research.

So I just called back later in the day--this time armed with knowledge to ask for the M-Cards and to threaten reporting them to the FCC. Well, the CSR I got this time was clearly LESS knowledgeable about Cable Cards, but WAS able to place the order and I'm now scheduled for early next week! Not a single mention of Tivo model numbers (and I did tell her that the cards were for Tivo). Unbelievable. I did have her specifically note the need for M-Cards in the order notes.

Fingers crossed and I'll report back my results next week. I hope my install goes as well as yours.

Lessons learned from here and other posts when dealing with TWC Manhattan:
1) If they tell you only Series 3 is support, they're wrong
2) If your CSR won't place the order, keep calling back until you get one that will
3) Feel free to reference the FCC requirement that they must give you a CableCard
4) If all else fails, tell them you have a Series 3 (if you have TivoHD)
UFGators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #2614
tarrow

My ongoing nightmare with Time Warner Cable... (NorthEast Ohio) 3+ months now

Place order for HD Tivo through Amazon. Scheduled delivery 7 days.

Place order for Cable Card with Time Warner. They can scheduled it for 2 days (Tivo won't be there by then) or I can come by and pick up a card (yes you know where this is going)

Tivo arrives in 2 days

I stop by local Time Warner office to pick up a card. Told that I can not do that, they have to be scheduled. Their nearest install date is 14 days out. I schedule an appointment.

I wait 14 days.

Time Warner does not show. does not have any record of me having an appointment, but reminds me I can come by my local office and pick up a cable card.

Once again stop in at a different office, am told that these can not be picked up at a local office, I need to schedule an appointment. Nearest install date is 17 days out.

I wait 16 days. Get a call from Time Warner. They have no cable cards. Reschedule for 12 days additional

I wait 12 more days

Tech shows up with an M-Card spends 3 hours trying to get it to work without any success. Analog channels only work. Promises a supervisor will call me.

Wait 2 days. Supervisor tells me I'm the first person in a 40 mile radius to request an M-Card. Says they only have "one or two" in the 250 miles between Pittsburgh, Toledo, and Columbus. I have a hard time believing it. Promise the engineers will keep working on the problem.

Wait 3 days. The engineers can't make it work. They send a tech with an "assortment" of cards to try and make it work. Tech was here almost 6 hours. He tried 2-3 more M-Cards was not able to make any of them work. The tech finally get one single stream card to view our local channels in HD. They can't put a 2nd single stream card in the machine, because "the billing software doesn't know how to support 2 cable cards in one device"

They "Think it may be the Tivo at fault" though I highly doubt it...

The only channels that work with the single stream card are our local HD channels (I'm assuming the ones that are unencrypted) ESPNHD, Discovery HD, TBS etc all show about 2-3 seconds of video (sometimes with sound, sometimes not) and then freeze. This also happens with some digital tier standard definition channels, others simply just don't show up.

I'm not holding out much hope. The one good thing is that I've come to love the Tivo, and even with just the standard definition recordings it's light years ahead of the DVR that Time Warner sells.

It's sad, I'm looking to move closer to Downtown Cleveland, and as I'm looking what areas to move to, one of the first things I look at is weather or not they have Time Warner or somebody else. I won't be stuck with them again.
tarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #2615
brickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrow View Post
. . . as I'm looking what areas to move to, one of the first things I look at is weather or not they have Time Warner or somebody else. I won't be stuck with them again.
Oh, I sure agree with that. From now on, I'm never living anyplace that requires me to have cable. What kills me the most is that TW must know thousands of people hate them (try googling "time warner sucks" and see how many responses come up) and apparently don't care. If I had any other option (other than not watching TV ), I'd be out immediately.
brickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #2616
MonkeySuitMan

Cool How Do you Get Cable Cards to receive all channels?

The cable guy installed two cards and things almost work. I'm missing some basic cable channels and some higher digital channels. I don't get Bravo, Boom, TNT, ToonNetwork. For channels like Bravo, I get the signal on one card and not on the other.

The cable techs that come to the house seem to have a problem teching this issue. Has anyone had this problem successfully remedied. And if so, do you remember how so I can walk the cable guy through the process.
MonkeySuitMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #2617
trol1374

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySuitMan View Post
The cable guy installed two cards and things almost work. I'm missing some basic cable channels and some higher digital channels. I don't get Bravo, Boom, TNT, ToonNetwork. For channels like Bravo, I get the signal on one card and not on the other.

The cable techs that come to the house seem to have a problem teching this issue. Has anyone had this problem successfully remedied. And if so, do you remember how so I can walk the cable guy through the process.
Here is a possible reason if your referring to HD channels. I know TNTHD won't work, I don't know about the others. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703

Last edited by trol1374 : 12-13-2007 at 11:36 PM.
trol1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #2618
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySuitMan View Post

You are not SOL as the previous poster has implied. Sounds like the one card is provisioned correctly, while the other just needs to be fixed. Depending on where you are located, some of these might be SDV.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:52 PM   #2619
Four Tiv0s

Jyoung,

Thank you for showing me the error in my ways.

Standard Definition coax from the wall looks great, and it will keep me happy until the CC comes. After 10 years in IT, I should know to check the cables. oops.
Four Tiv0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:14 AM   #2620
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Jyoung,

Thank you for showing me the error in my ways.

Standard Definition coax from the wall looks great, and it will keep me happy until the CC comes. After 10 years in IT, I should know to check the cables. oops.
You're welcome.

As a fellow IT worker, I've made that mistake myself in the past.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 12-14-2007, 01:30 AM   #2621
Peter000

TW NYC just added a bunch of new HD channels! Included:

MTV HD
History HD
A&E HD
Food HD
LMN(?) HD
Home Garden HD
National Geographic HD (not sure this is new... it's not listed in the New Channel message, but there)
Golf VS? (I don't know what the VS stands for, and it doesn't have an HD signifier)
TMC HD
NHL HD

The problem is, the only new one I'm getting is the NG channel.

I wonder if they're just not completely rolled out yet, and TiVo jumped the gun.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #2622
bananaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post

MTV HD
History HD
A&E HD
Food HD
LMN(?) HD
Home Garden HD
National Geographic HD (not sure this is new... it's not listed in the New Channel message, but there)
Golf VS? (I don't know what the VS stands for, and it doesn't have an HD signifier)
TMC HD
NHL HD

I wonder if they're just not completely rolled out yet, and TiVo jumped the gun.
The new HD channels are "Woodside, Queens (ACQ) only".

NGHD is already part of the TWC NYC lineup.

I'm looking forward to the new HD channels being available everywhere... might be time to ad that eSATA disk.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #2623
deancruse

OK - finally in business, thanks to one amazing TWC employee who is apparently a Tivo fan as well. Not sure if I should give him public kudos, lest his employers come down on him for supporting a non-TW box, even though his customer service was exemplary. Apparently, the person (from the head unit team) had to hit my card in order for it to get associated properly with my account and pick up premium and HD channels.

Throughout this process (from acquiring the TivoHD to finally getting up and running) I dealt with 10 different TWC Austin personnel, not counting the people to which these people talked. Of the 10, 4 were either incredibly rude or flat out lied to me, 4 didn't have correct information even though they thought they did, 1 was very knowledgable but unable to complete the job due to others being in meetings (no lie!), and 1 was an absolute rockstar, not only knowing exactly what needed to be done to get me working, but even proactively reaching out to help me without my asking. Even with that (thanks again , man), 80% of the people with whom I interacted provided unacceptable service. Pretty unbelievable.

In my company, if 40% of my employees were rude or lied to customers, I would be out of business. They would also be summarily fired. If another 40% were not adequately trained to support my customers, I would fire the person running the group.

Any wonder TWC has lost over $16 billion in market value over the past year?
deancruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #2624
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by deancruse View Post
OK - finally in business, thanks to one amazing TWC employee who is apparently a Tivo fan as well. Not sure if I should give him public kudos, lest his employers come down on him for supporting a non-TW box, even though his customer service was exemplary. Apparently, the person (from the head unit team) had to hit my card in order for it to get associated properly with my account and pick up premium and HD channels.

Throughout this process (from acquiring the TivoHD to finally getting up and running) I dealt with 10 different TWC Austin personnel, not counting the people to which these people talked. Of the 10, 4 were either incredibly rude or flat out lied to me, 4 didn't have correct information even though they thought they did, 1 was very knowledgable but unable to complete the job due to others being in meetings (no lie!), and 1 was an absolute rockstar, not only knowing exactly what needed to be done to get me working, but even proactively reaching out to help me without my asking. Even with that (thanks again , man), 80% of the people with whom I interacted provided unacceptable service. Pretty unbelievable.

In my company, if 40% of my employees were rude or lied to customers, I would be out of business. They would also be summarily fired. If another 40% were not adequately trained to support my customers, I would fire the person running the group.

Any wonder TWC has lost over $16 billion in market value over the past year?
The rockstar was probably our own cableguy763
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #2625
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post

MTV HD
History HD
A&E HD
Food HD
LMN(?) HD
Home Garden HD
TMC HD
NHL HD

Any chance those are SDV channels?

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #2626
JYoung
Series 3

Got a mailing from Time-Warner today pushing their "All the Best Package".
Looks like they raised the rates from $99.95 to $114.95 a month.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 12-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #2627
JOL

My CC install has been an absolute nightmare (just like everyone else here). During the first appointment, the tech said that he was their "go-to guy" for cable card installs. After 2 hours, however, I was still not receiving a number of my HD channels as well as some other non-HD channels (such as Fox Soccer Channel, which I subscribe to via the Variety Tier).

They sent another guy out this morning at 8am (I had specifically requested M-cards this time). He also claimed to be well-versed with cablecard installs. After 30 minutes of fiddling around, he told me that it was a TiVo issue, and that there was nothing he could do. Instead, I would have to call TiVo and have them walk me through the fix. After he left, I called TiVo only to be told that the reason that so many of my channels was missing was that the second card had to be reauthorized, which is something that the cable company handles.

I called TWC, and the woman told me to bring my S-cards in to be exchanged for new cards, and I explained to her that I had been told (by their own people) that an authorized tech would have to install the cablecards and that I couldn't do it myself. Finally, she told me that an order had gone out requesting that a tech come back to my apartment to fix the cablecard issue. This time, I will insist that the guy just install the M-Card rather than take his word that it's a TiVo problem - it seems like the TWC (and perhaps the TiVo) guys are just passing the buck because someone doesn't know what the hell is going on. The best part of it all? I called them around 10am, and they told me that I have to sit at home and wait for someone to come out between 10am and 7pm. Wonderful.

Also, the TWC tech said that he had spoken to his supervisor, who is a cable "veteran," and that his supervisor informed him that cablecard subscribers would no longer be able to receive any HD channel over 413, which is pretty much all of the HD channels other than the local channels. What the hell is that all about? If this is true, it seems as if TWC is simply trying to push its subscribers towards using their boxes. Can someone shed some light on this issue?
JOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #2628
cableguy763

JOL, here is quite a bit of info on why you are missing or going to be missing a bunch of HD channels (a lot to read, but the first post has most of the info): http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703
Old 12-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #2629
JOL

I have read a few of the posts regarding SDV, but I am still confused - are all of Time Warner's HD channels (in Orange County, CA) now on SDV? That seems ridiculous, given that I am paying for a service where I don't even receive what I am paying for. If one or two channels were missing, I could accept that - but all of my HD channels (other than local channels)?

According to that link that you posted, FIOS isn't affected at all by SDV. Maybe that's the way to go. Anyone have any experience with FIOS? I wouldn't mind switching over to FIOS for internet and TV and then Vonage for my phone service.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #2630
cableguy763

From you earlier post, you are missing most of the channels because your cablecards aren't authorized to get encrypted channels. Once they get authorized, you will get most of them. I can't tell you off the top of my head (Orange county isn't using SDV yet), but cablecard customers should get just about every HD channel they offer. From this link: http://www.timewarnercable.com/Corpo.../HDTVpage.html they say at the very bottom that *not all services are available to cablecard subscribers
Old 12-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #2631
JOL

Since one of the two S-cards aren't authorized (according to TiVo), wouldn't it be simpler for everyone involved if the TWC guys just install one M-card (so that they'd only have to worry about problems with one card v. two)?

In any case, I'm sure that everyone here would agree that it's frustrating that we pay TWC good money for X number of channels but, because we use cablecards, we only get Y number of channels. That doesn't seem right, does it?

Now, does FIOS have this same problem with cablecards?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #2632
mmcgown

Hello cableguy763,

You seem to be the expert on TWC Austin.....I'm expecting the tech on Tuesday the 18th to install two cards in my TiVo HD. I've had the same experiences as others in this forum.....first told I could pick up the cards and install them myself......misquoted prices......and no definitive answer on whether I will be getting a single M-card or two separate cards.

Do you know if Austin TWC installs M-cards? And, except for the extra $2.65/month, does it make a difference whether I have one M-card or two standard cards?

Here's hoping I get a tech who's done this install a few hundred times and knows the ropes!
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:19 PM   #2633
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgown View Post
Hello cableguy763,

You seem to be the expert on TWC Austin.....I'm expecting the tech on Tuesday the 18th to install two cards in my TiVo HD. I've had the same experiences as others in this forum.....first told I could pick up the cards and install them myself......misquoted prices......and no definitive answer on whether I will be getting a single M-card or two separate cards.

Do you know if Austin TWC installs M-cards? And, except for the extra $2.65/month, does it make a difference whether I have one M-card or two standard cards?

Here's hoping I get a tech who's done this install a few hundred times and knows the ropes!
Austin definitely has M cards. I believe that is all they are issuing these days. You will only need one M card for your TivoHD. Most of our techs have really gotten it together this last year. You are just seeing understandably frustrated people venting on this forum. People that had successful installs are busy watching their new tivo, not posting on this forum. If you have any problems at all, or any questions, let me know and we will get it worked out.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #2634
mmcgown

Absolutely! I'll let you know how it goes--good or bad!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #2635
cab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
Austin definitely has M cards. I believe that is all they are issuing these days. You will only need one M card for your TivoHD. Most of our techs have really gotten it together this last year. You are just seeing understandably frustrated people venting on this forum. People that had successful installs are busy watching their new tivo, not posting on this forum. If you have any problems at all, or any questions, let me know and we will get it worked out.
And I gotta say I think much of what austin has 'gotten it together' has to have been because of cableguy! Thanks a bunch sir. You are a shining star in TWC Austin, amidst a pool of 'other' classes of people. I was relatively lucky a year ago when my S3 was installed in that we didn't have any significant problems in my install. I've been following this thread since day one and it amazes me the problems some folks have had and how lucky I was. Cableguy this is no reflection on you, but it sure seems like TWC has some serious training problems. I really do appreciate everything you have done for everyone here, and for your company, to smooth out the bumps. I hope santa drops something very nice in your stocking.
cab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #2636
JOL

It seems like the training problems aren't isolated to Austin. I called Time Warner this morning because the tech who was supposed to come back yesterday to install my M-Card never called (or showed up).

As you recall, the tech told me that TWC Orange County was no longer broadcasting anything other than my local HD channels if I used a cablecard.

Anyway, I told the tech support lady over the phone what had happened, and she was able to reauthorize my second cablecard and VOILA! I am now receiving most of my missing channels, including the HD channels that the tech said I could no longer receive. I noticed that ESPN2 HD is still missing, but at least I am now getting most of my channels. It seems like a lot of these techs are not trained in how to use cablecards, and are given bad information which they pass onto their customers.

However, I did ask that a tech come back and install the M-Card like I originally requested.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 AM   #2637
whiteshaft

Big Grin My TW install experience in SF Valley

Hey all. Been reading this thread for a while now in anticipation of getting my own TivoHD hooked up; I will say that this board has been a valuable resource and having that information and knowledge really helps with the unholy mess of the installation process.

I purchased my TivoHD and wireless-G adapter two weeks ago (from this site -- great price!!) and called TW to ask about the cards. The rep informed me that installs were very delayed right now but I could pick up the cards at the TW store here in Van Nuys -- which was totally BS. Note to anyone who lives in LA: you can't pick up cards. If someone tells you that you can, chances are the person at the store will say NO. No two people at TW will ever give you the same answer on anything. That's okay though, because you don't want to install them yourself.

One week later: it took 3 different guys, two days and a stack of cards to get things up and running. The first guy was a contractor and didn't stick around to properly test all the channels (contractors get paid by the job). I was only receiving the basic channels and the rep told me to wait a couple hours for the expanded and pay channels to "download." But I knew this was wrong because the card screen had a lot of NOs and KEY_MISSING where there should have been YES's and SUBSCRIBED. So I wait two hours then call back, asking the rep to try and re-pair the cards (I had called Tivo in the interim and this was their suggestion.) No dice, so they dispatched another installer for later the same day. This guy was TW and he really knew his stuff; he came in with a whole stack of cards and got the one tech on the phone that he knew was able to help him. He told me that there were a lot of good techs on during the day but at night you're lucky to get anyone good on the phone to help with activation. Unfortunately, he had several dead cards and despite their knowledge and elevating the situation to "Tier 3" status (Defcon 3?) we still had nothing better than basic cable channels. Finally the installer had a eureka moment and asked the tech to check the queue: every time a cable box or card is activated it sends a request to the central office; when things get busy the newest requests get put into a queue to wait their turn. Well the queue had 1500 requests in it, so clearly mine was somewhere near the end! By this time it was nearly 7:30 and the tech was about to leave so the installer told me to wait until morning to see if the cards activated when the queue cleared. By midnight one of the cards finally showed SUBSCRIBED and I had all my channels including HD but the other one was still showing only basic channels. Another TW guy came out the next day with new cards but before he tried any of them we restarted the TiVo and the second card finally activated.

I feel like nobody really knows how to work with the cable cards properly yet, or else the whole standard is a bit flawed and needs revision. They're not an easy plug-n-play solution, especially when interfacing with the cable companies' network. If you're lucky you'll get a dedicated installer who knows a good tech he can call. The guy also told me that some installers don't label the bad cards or write down the error codes on them, so that keeps bad cards in circulation. To their credit though, TW apologized for the bad info, waived the install fee, and kept sending people out until the problem was resolved. And at no time did anyone tell me they didn't have cable cards or try to sell me their crappy Skivo box, so that's something.

And HD TV looks AWESOME
whiteshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #2638
lgoree

Reauthorization replacement TWCNYC

After much back and forth, the inflexibility and incompetence of TWC NYC customer service technical support continues.

Replacement Tivo Series 3, same working cable cards. No EMMs received. Called to reauthorize same cable cards with new Host IDs. "We'll send out a technician."

"To do what?" I ask.

"To get the new Host IDs" she replied.

"Oh, that is simple" and I gave her the new Host IDs. Heck, the screen even says, "This screen is displayed on behalf of your cable provider" and says, "In order to start service for this device, please contact customer service..." and nicely gives you the CableCARD number and HOST ID. How simple is this for someone at TWC to simply enter into the screen and send me my EMMs.

My guess is that it is a union thing. Have to keep up the number of service calls since having a customer just providing information on the screen might make the technician obsolete.

Please, let me have Fios in Manhattan, if only to open up some competition to simulate better customer service. I shouldn't have to stay home for four hours, waiting for a repair person, who will come in, look at my screen, write down the HOST IDs that I already gave them and call them in with the cable card numbers they already have. Betcha the guy comes with new cable cards and I have to argue with him not to pull out the working cards and have to talk him through the process!!

With TWCNYC is is never easy.
lgoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #2639
mmcgown

Eagle tech Joel S. installed first single card (he had no M-cards)........never got authorization. Later, another Eagle tech John arrived with M-card. After multiple hits, authorization received, but EMM has stayed at zero, so no premium channels. Call to TWC tech today says requires another tech visit, but I don't see why. Agreed to do so anyway, but what's the point?

TWC phone tech today says I will never get HBO because it is switched video, and says I will never get any SV channels on an M-card.

Asked me if customer service rep had told me that upfront--I laughed.

Any suggestions?

FYI re my setup: one wall jack; half split to cable box for Tivo2 (lo-def); other half split to Tivo3HD.

Question: I asked customer support whether it mattered that I had a cable box and cablecards coming off the same jack. Of course, they said NO because they had no idea what I was asking. Do you think it matters?--that is, do you think splitting into the box may interfere with the card signal?

Any and all help is appreciated.

This is what I get for being an early-adopter/guinea-pig!

PS--tech Joel was super A+. I think any problems he had were only related to "downtown techs" not able to push the right buttons.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #2640
cableguy763

mmcgowan-
I just sent you a pm. Look it over and I can get you fixed in like two minutes. East coast HBO's are not sdv, neither is HBO HD.