TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #1351
tivostriker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttmeister View Post
This may sound like a stupid question, but once the dos box opens, have to actually tried going to your TiVo and viewing the shares? Sometimes when I start pyTiVo it does the same thing, but everything still works just fine. Try it, see what happens and post back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Welcome to the forum!

A blank dos box isn't that unusual at startup. Are you saying your shares aren't seen by the TiVo?
Thanks for the inputs. I was saying that launching pyTivo did nothing at all except display a blank/empty/black dos box, with no words or anything. Nothing was showing on Tivo either, but no suggestion or question is stupid when it comes to solving weird problems. I used to work tech support, people do forget to just plug the thing in or push the power button.

I figured it out, but just wanted to post. Turns out we had a power outage last night (I'm in Oklahoma, we're seeing "Ice Storm 2007!&#*"). Once I unplugged my Tivo and replugged back in, rebooted the computer and launched pyTivo, all was good. Perhaps the developer can add some verbage to say something about Tivo not communicating or communicating problem or something.

Thanks!
tivostriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #1352
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
This may be off topic here but can anyone explain just what is the -bufsize parameter? I have it set to 1024k as recomended by someone sometime back and my ffmpeg conversions from mkv to tivo seem to work fine, but what would changing it do?

Also as stated earlier, for my TivoHD, I removed the framerate, height and width parameters from the ffmpeg_params line completely so that ffmpeg leaves the output the same as input file resolution and framerate.
Mea culpa -- mea stupido!

I've been advising setting bufsize to huge (e.g., 17Mi) and I think that is wrong -- I was confusing it with maxrate, which now defaults to that large value -- OP found this necessary to prevent quality problems on high bitrate HD transcoding, and it apparently does no harm for lower bitrate cases

The default bufsize is 1024k and after searching the thread I find no indication it needs to be higher.

My apologies ... you know what free advice is worth!
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #1353
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivostriker View Post
Thanks for the inputs. I was saying that launching pyTivo did nothing at all except display a blank/empty/black dos box, with no words or anything.
Yeah, and they're saying that it doesn't display a startup banner (unless you count the Cheetah error message, which I don't get on my system since I installed Cheetah from the repositories), so that's not abnormal. You only see requests as they come in from Tivos. Now, normally, there's a request from each Tivo on your LAN shortly after pyTivo starts up. But not always.

Quote:
Perhaps the developer can add some verbage to say something about Tivo not communicating or communicating problem or something.
pyTivo has (initially) no way of knowing whether there are any Tivos on your network, or whether they should be responding. See, what happens is, on startup, pyTivo sends out a broadcast message that says "I'm here!". Typically, then, each Tivo that receives this message sends back a (non-broadcast) request that says "So tell me what you've got!". And everything after that is just the Tivo making requests, and pyTivo responding. Tivos can come and go off the LAN, and pyTivo won't know the difference, because these are your standard stateless HTTP connections.

The "I'm here" beacon is resent at intervals for the benefit of any Tivos that do come online. Meanwhile, if a Tivo gets a beacon from a server that's already sent it one recently, it doesn't bother to make a new "so tell me what you've got" request. So in that case -- for instance, if you stop pyTivo and start it up again fairly quickly -- you can get a situation where nothing will show up in the pyTivo window.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #1354
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I'd probably want to go a different route, as far as maintaining the bitrates is concerned. In fact, I think that what I'd like to do should be integrated into the base OptRes option behavior.

Since OptRes is already selecting the output resolution based upon the input resolution of the source material, wouldn't it stand to reason that it should also select an appropriate output bitrate as well ? It doesn't really make sense to spit out everything at a single bitrate (either 4Mbps or 17Mbps) if you're mixing SD and HD content.

Make sense ?
Yes. One possible sensible algorithm might be to start with the default video_br and scale it by the ratio of total pixels, e.g., if you are encoding to 1440x720, multiply 4096kbps by (1440x720)/(544x480), which would yield
15.88 Mi. This seems a little high so maybe the base value should be 3Mi instead of 4Mi, or maybe it could be based on the video_br you put in the config file. In other words you configure what would normally be acceptable to you for non-HDTV and then it is scaled up from that based on the ratio of total pixels.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #1355
PaulS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Yes. One possible sensible algorithm might be to start with the default video_br and scale it by the ratio of total pixels, e.g., if you are encoding to 1440x720, multiply 4096kbps by (1440x720)/(544x480), which would yield
15.88 Mi. This seems a little high so maybe the base value should be 3Mi instead of 4Mi, or maybe it could be based on the video_br you put in the config file. In other words you configure what would normally be acceptable to you for non-HDTV and then it is scaled up from that based on the ratio of total pixels.

If it can be shown that the Series3/TiVoHD can accomodate any MPEG-2 file, regardless of height, width, and framerate, this may all be a moot point for the HDTV capable TiVo units.

jcthorne's parm list for ffmpeg simply has it perform the necessary transcode (any_codec -> MPEG-2) operation, while retaining the same width, height and frame rate. The TiVo will then perform the scaling in hardware to get the output to the desired height, width and framerate on playout.

So, if this holds true, then there is no need for OptRes (with or without a modified bitrate algorithm) for the HDTV capable TiVo units. The source file will simply be transcoded to MPEG-2, and scaled by the TiVo.

Of course, this likely doesn't hold true for the SD TiVo units, who will need to have their content force fed to them in 544x480@29.97 MPEG-2.

Last edited by PaulS : 12-12-2007 at 03:34 PM.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #1356
reneg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
...
pyTivo has (initially) no way of knowing whether there are any Tivos on your network, or whether they should be responding. See, what happens is, on startup, pyTivo sends out a broadcast message that says "I'm here!". Typically, then, each Tivo that receives this message sends back a (non-broadcast) request that says "So tell me what you've got!". And everything after that is just the Tivo making requests, and pyTivo responding. Tivos can come and go off the LAN, and pyTivo won't know the difference, because these are your standard stateless HTTP connections.

The "I'm here" beacon is resent at intervals for the benefit of any Tivos that do come online. Meanwhile, if a Tivo gets a beacon from a server that's already sent it one recently, it doesn't bother to make a new "so tell me what you've got" request. So in that case -- for instance, if you stop pyTivo and start it up again fairly quickly -- you can get a situation where nothing will show up in the pyTivo window.
Something simple to force recognition of the "I'm here" beacon is to change the GUID in the pytivo.conf file.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #1357
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Something simple to force recognition of the "I'm here" beacon is to change the GUID in the pytivo.conf file.
Oh yeah, BTW -- I was wondering about the GUID thing. Is there any reason not to just set it to a random number? That way, you could have multiple servers on your LAN without having to manually set the GUIDs. I did this experimentally:

Code:
def getGUID():
    if config.has_option('Server', 'GUID'):
        guid = config.get('Server', 'GUID')
    else:
        rand = random.Random()
        guid = str(rand.randint(100000, 999999))
    return guid
and it seemed to work fine. But I don't know what rules, if any, are supposed to apply to the GUID. (I guess I need to read up on Bonjour/Rendevous?) Anyway, I did notice some flickering in my Now Playing list when I had a pyTivo share highlighted while I restarted it with a different GUID, but that was the only problem (easily corrected by moving the highlight).
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #1358
reneg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Oh yeah, BTW -- I was wondering about the GUID thing. Is there any reason not to just set it to a random number? That way, you could have multiple servers on your LAN without having to manually set the GUIDs. I did this experimentally:
...
I also noticed no ill effects, but have not thoroughly researched it myself. For your own little subnet, you are most likely OK as long as your random numbers don't come out the same.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #1359
Hercules67
TiVo addict
 
Hercules67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Folks, excuse my ineptitude and newbie question. I have read the FAQ and the WIKI, and have performed a search in the thread, but I could be doing something that you all have not done, or something that is so obvious it's just escaping me.

Ok, so, I have installed pyTivo, Python 2.5, ffmpeg (actually already had that, but anyway, it's included with pyTivo). My pyTivo.conf looks like this:
-----------------------------------------
[Server]
port=9032
beacon=192.168.1.103
ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\pyTivo

[My Videos]
type=video
path=F:\My Videos
-----------------------------------------

Ok, the path is an external USB WD Hard Drive where I keep a lot of Videos I download.

So, [My Videos] shows up in NPL, but of course nothing shows up in it. I suspected, at first that it was the USB Hard Drive, so I changed the path and put stuff locally on the C: drive. But that made no difference.

Ok, so, now I am suspecting, the network as the problem. I am getting an "Error 5". Whatever that means. Do you all need to see my Debug file?

Here's what I am doing different with my network, that I have not seen discussed ANYWHERE. My TiVo (yes, I only have one Series 2 TiVo) is being run by Wireless connection. I have three other computers on my router (they are hardwired in by ethernet cable.) I also have a laptop that gets a wireless connection handed to it by the router. (Other than that, the network is "secured down" pretty heavily). Because, after I installed TiVo Desktop way back last year, I had trouble downloading shows to the main Video Processing PC, I ended-up setting the TiVo IP address in stone as 192.168.1.103. That's the only one that's set in stone. Everything else is assigned by the router.

I am also running WEP security. Does that matter? Is that what is causing my problem? On the software firewall, I have of course allowed Python to get through and all of that. I am running a Linksys Wireless router. Do I need to open port 9032 in it or something? How do I do that?

Any help would be appreciated, up to and including, PM-ing me or pointing me to the right posts.

Thanks in advance!
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #1360
TreborPugly
Unreal!
 
TreborPugly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 4,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
My pyTivo.conf looks like this:
-----------------------------------------
[Server]
port=9032
beacon=192.168.1.103
ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\pyTivo

[My Videos]
type=video
path=F:\My Videos
-----------------------------------------
Is your ffmpeg path really only that text? It should probably be something like:
ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
__________________
Next?
TreborPugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #1361
reneg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
...
-----------------------------------------
[Server]
port=9032
beacon=192.168.1.103
ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\pyTivo

[My Videos]
type=video
path=F:\My Videos
-----------------------------------------
Try changing ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\pyTivo
to ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

I don't think setting the beacon to the IP address of your Tivo is necessary, I'd also try it without that line.

You need to open port 9032. There are different ways to open the port depending on what flavor of Windows you have. If you read the other mega-thread in this forum on Tivo.NET, there is a command line method to open the port, here is a link to the command line method.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #1362
Hercules67
TiVo addict
 
Hercules67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 327
I appreciate the quick response!

I don't know why I didn't see the ffmpeg file problem! I was troubleshooting until 4:30 in the morning. I only got 2 hours of sleep.

I fixed the location.

So don't need the beacon IP address? Ok! I deleted it. Alright. I will see how I can open port 9032 through ZONEALARM (I should have mentioned I am using it) as my software firewall. I am also using Win XP Service Pack 2. Can you all not tell I am a nut about Security?

Yesterday, I read about 35 of the 46 pages (10 more to go). Hopefully, after I get this working, I won't bother you folks with questions about aspect ratios and such. I have an LCD TV which is 4:3. Maybe in the future I can help too.... I hope.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #1363
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
I also noticed no ill effects, but have not thoroughly researched it myself. For your own little subnet, you are most likely OK as long as your random numbers don't come out the same.
OK, it's not a Bonjour thing, solely a Tivo thing... here's what it says in TiVoConnectDiscovery.pdf:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo
3.1.5 identity

This value should be unique to the originating TCM (perhaps even globally unique, but certainly unique across the local network). This information is intended to allow TCMs to unambiguously identify each other even when their names or IP addresses have changed.

TiVo DVR beacons should set <string> to the DVR's serial number. Windows computer packets should set <string> to a GUID (generated once and stored in the registry), formatted using the StringFromGUID2() function of the Windows API.

This value is not optional.
So, Tivo Inc. is recommending a constant ID per installation, but there doesn't seem to be a strong reason. Do we want (or need) our Tivos to unambiguously identify pyTivo servers across restarts? I'm thinking, not particularly.

(BTW, they do anyway -- I was hoping that changing the GUID might make the Tivo forget the old directory it was caching (i.e. the subfolder problem), but no such luck.)
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #1364
jcthorne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Is this still the ffmpeg_pline you're using ? I'll exclude the "threads" parameter, since not all folks will have a multi-core or multi-CPU set up at their disposal.

Code:
ffmpeg_prams=-vcodec mpeg2video -maxrate 17Mi -qscale 1.2 -bufsize 1024k -comment pyTivo.py -acodec ac3 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 48000 -f vob -
Yes that is the line I am using except for the threads parameter as noted.
__________________
Current : Roamio Base with 2TB drive and 2 Premieres and a mini. OTA. kmttg, pyTivo, running with a 78TB Synology 1511 NAS....serving up the world.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #1365
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
If it can be shown that the Series3/TiVoHD can accomodate any MPEG-2 file, regardless of height, width, and framerate, this may all be a moot point for the HDTV capable TiVo units.

jcthorne's parm list for ffmpeg simply has it perform the necessary transcode (any_codec -> MPEG-2) operation, while retaining the same width, height and frame rate. The TiVo will then perform the scaling in hardware to get the output to the desired height, width and framerate on playout.

So, if this holds true, then there is no need for OptRes (with or without a modified bitrate algorithm) for the HDTV capable TiVo units. The source file will simply be transcoded to MPEG-2, and scaled by the TiVo.

Of course, this likely doesn't hold true for the SD TiVo units, who will need to have their content force fed to them in 544x480@29.97 MPEG-2.
I agree. jcthorne's ffmpeg options (if I have them correct) do not specify a bitrate but rather a quality goal. This leads to VBR encoding, which apparently the HD Tivo's can handle. Thus choosing a video bitrate based on frame size or rate is not an issue. -- neat solution assuming the HD TiVo's can handle it. As you suggested, there is no issue at all for Series 2 TiVo's -- just choose a width, height and bitrate and stick with it.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #1366
grahamkent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So, if this holds true, then there is no need for OptRes (with or without a modified bitrate algorithm) for the HDTV capable TiVo units. The source file will simply be transcoded to MPEG-2, and scaled by the TiVo.

Of course, this likely doesn't hold true for the SD TiVo units, who will need to have their content force fed to them in 544x480@29.97 MPEG-2.
Why stop with the video bitrate? Just a suggestion but why not also pass the original video's audio bitrate, without modification, unless it's too high for the Tivo to support?

I'm sure there are a number of optimizations along these lines we can come up with. I'd like to do everything possible to speed up transfers especially when I'm transferring HD content.
grahamkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #1367
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,090
fix for music on windows recent builds

Think I got it. What's ironic is it requires adding a line right after (or before) the line that was added to fix videos (done in build d4219....). (What's really ironic is it took me hours to figure this out!)

Anyway add the following line after line 133 in plugin.py:

Code:
                if os.path.isdir(os.path.join(file)): 
                     file_url = '/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=' + cname + file_name 
                 else:                                 
                    file_url = '/' + cname + file_name 
                 file_url = file_url.replace('\\', '/') 
                 anchor = anchor.replace('\\', '/')
The added line is highlighted in red.

Haven't tested it thoroughly but initial tests indicate music works and video is not disturbed by the change.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:53 AM   #1368
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,154
If I might suggest instead:
Code:
                if os.path.isdir(os.path.join(file)): 
                     file_url = '/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=' + cname + file_name 
                 else:                                 
                    file_url = '/' + cname + file_name 
                 if os.path.sep != '/':
                     file_url = file_url.replace(os.path.sep, '/') 
                     anchor = anchor.replace(os.path.sep, '/')
Less Windows-specific, and removes (most of) the penalty for doing unnecessary replaces on Linux, Mac OS X, etc.

Although my own solution for the path problem was much different (see my Photo plugin)...
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #1369
jcthorne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Yes. One possible sensible algorithm might be to start with the default video_br and scale it by the ratio of total pixels, e.g., if you are encoding to 1440x720, multiply 4096kbps by (1440x720)/(544x480), which would yield
15.88 Mi. This seems a little high so maybe the base value should be 3Mi instead of 4Mi, or maybe it could be based on the video_br you put in the config file. In other words you configure what would normally be acceptable to you for non-HDTV and then it is scaled up from that based on the ratio of total pixels.
Edit: Nevermind, I see you guys already figured this out while I was asleep.
__________________
Current : Roamio Base with 2TB drive and 2 Premieres and a mini. OTA. kmttg, pyTivo, running with a 78TB Synology 1511 NAS....serving up the world.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jcthorne : 12-13-2007 at 05:31 AM.
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #1370
jcthorne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamkent View Post
Why stop with the video bitrate? Just a suggestion but why not also pass the original video's audio bitrate, without modification, unless it's too high for the Tivo to support?

I'm sure there are a number of optimizations along these lines we can come up with. I'd like to do everything possible to speed up transfers especially when I'm transferring HD content.
Very good question. I have not tried higher bitrate ac3 files. Did find out that AAC and DTS audio do NOT work, and the AC3 audio must be at 48000Hz sample rate. But as for the bitrate?

Does ffmpeg have a parameter to allow setting a maximim bitrate rather than a specific one? Can TivoHD handle VBR ac3 audio? Will Tivo rule the world?

All questions that need answers. Anyone try these combos?
__________________
Current : Roamio Base with 2TB drive and 2 Premieres and a mini. OTA. kmttg, pyTivo, running with a 78TB Synology 1511 NAS....serving up the world.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #1371
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
If I might suggest instead:
Code:
                if os.path.isdir(os.path.join(file)): 
                     file_url = '/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=' + cname + file_name 
                 else:                                 
                    file_url = '/' + cname + file_name 
                 if os.path.sep != '/':
                     file_url = file_url.replace(os.path.sep, '/') 
                     anchor = anchor.replace(os.path.sep, '/')
Less Windows-specific, and removes (most of) the penalty for doing unnecessary replaces on Linux, Mac OS X, etc.

Although my own solution for the path problem was much different (see my Photo plugin)...
Yes, this is more elegant .... practical difference is nil I suspect. A few microseconds faster on Linux (actually a few microseconds slower on Windows, since the "if" statement isn't needed there). Also would handle an OS that used a path delimiter other than '/' or '\\' -- does such a thing exist?
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #1372
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Also would handle an OS that used a path delimiter other than '/' or '\\' -- does such a thing exist?
It does, or did -- MacPython-OS9 used a colon ':' as the delimiter, as I understand it, following old Mac conventions. But it seems to have stopped at Python 2.3.3, and I doubt if it would run pyTivo anyway. So, in practice, the use of os.path.sep is more of a self-documentation thing.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 12-13-2007 at 02:21 PM.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #1373
ruttmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 18
Updated Metadata Generator

I've posted a new version of Metadata Generator on the site linked in my signature line, for those who are interested. As with all these projects, all input is welcome and encouraged, for that is the only way we can create something that really works.

Anywhoo, on with your regularly scheduled program...
__________________
XP SP2
Model 649 Series 2 DT 80hr
Model 240 Series 2 80hr
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- d421

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ruttmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #1374
tlc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 482
bitrate above max bitrate

I'm new to pyTivo so this may be obvious...

I have an Tivo HD, the latest pyTivo-2007-12-09-master-*, and used
Quote:
ffmpeg_prams=-vcodec mpeg2video -maxrate 17Mi -qscale 1.2 -bufsize 1024k -comment pyTivo.py -acodec ac3 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 48000 -f vob -
as described in this thread.

Anyway, I ran into the following error:
Input #0, avi, from '/home/media/Videos/Features/test.avi':
Duration: 01:58:39.4, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 824 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 608x336, 23.98 fps(r)
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, 112 kb/s
Output #0, vob, to 'pipe:':
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 608x336, q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 23.98 fps(c)
Stream #0.1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
[mpeg2video @ 0xb7e2b508]bitrate above max bitrate
Error while opening codec for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
Is there a max bitrate for mpeg2 ??

Ideas?
tlc

Last edited by tlc : 12-13-2007 at 10:31 PM.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #1375
tlc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Anyway, I ran into the following error:
...
Ideas?
Never mind. Solved. I googled up a similar issue in the trouble tickets and changed '17Mi' to '17408' in my ffmpeg_prams.

The best part is that my 900MHz P3 Ubuntu server is keeping up! Faster than real time!

Thanks for pyTivo!
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #1376
steve101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 70
Is there a way to specify the interface? When I am using
extranet (a vpn) and start pyTivo it grabs the wrong
interface and only responds from the local computer (using
127.0.0.1) none of my tivo's can see it. As long as the
vpn is not up, pyTivo works fine.
__________________
1 S2, 1 DVR-810h
1 Premier,1 Series3, 1 TivoHD
All Stock
steve101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #1377
ruttmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 18
tvRating is here

I've figured out how to format the tvRating field in the metadata file, and have updated my generator as well as my notes to reflect that. I also decided to put back in a lot of the more "advanced" fields in the generator. Check it out, let me know what you think, as well as any questions or concerns (bugs...).

Unfortunately, the tvRating field only returns standard TV ratings (TV-PG, TV-14) and not movie ratings (PG-13, R, etc) or custom ratings, but TV ratings are very similar to movie ratings in their structure (TV-14 = PG-13, TV-MA = R, etc).

I currently don't see it as possible to display any other rating than the standard TV ratings, as it's more programmed into TiVo than pyTiVo. Unless the movie rating system is also stored in TiVo and we just don't know about it.

Anyways, there you go.
__________________
XP SP2
Model 649 Series 2 DT 80hr
Model 240 Series 2 80hr
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- d421

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ruttmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #1378
scrappydog65
Long Time TiVo User
 
scrappydog65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Pennington, NJ
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve101 View Post
Is there a way to specify the interface? When I am using
extranet (a vpn) and start pyTivo it grabs the wrong
interface and only responds from the local computer (using
127.0.0.1) none of my tivo's can see it. As long as the
vpn is not up, pyTivo works fine.
Steve.

You just have to change the Beacon subnet mask. In my case, I use the following to make sure that it looks at the correct network adapter.

[Server]
beacon = 192.168.2.255


Mike
__________________
  • TiVo S2 40hr, Humax S2 80hr DVD-RW
  • Great Add-ons:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scrappydog65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #1379
Hercules67
TiVo addict
 
Hercules67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappydog65 View Post
Steve.

You just have to change the Beacon subnet mask. In my case, I use the following to make sure that it looks at the correct network adapter.

[Server]
beacon = 192.168.2.255


Mike
Can you explain this a bit more?

I think this is what I am running into myself. I 've turned off the software firewall (Zonealarm) and shut off Wireless Security on my Linksys. Still, I can't get pyTivo to work. Something in my network set-up is preventing it, I think.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #1380
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttmeister View Post
I've figured out how to format the tvRating field in the metadata file, and have updated my generator as well as my notes to reflect that. I also decided to put back in a lot of the more "advanced" fields in the generator. Check it out, let me know what you think, as well as any questions or concerns (bugs...).

Unfortunately, the tvRating field only returns standard TV ratings (TV-PG, TV-14) and not movie ratings (PG-13, R, etc) or custom ratings, but TV ratings are very similar to movie ratings in their structure (TV-14 = PG-13, TV-MA = R, etc).

I currently don't see it as possible to display any other rating than the standard TV ratings, as it's more programmed into TiVo than pyTiVo. Unless the movie rating system is also stored in TiVo and we just don't know about it.

Anyways, there you go.
Thanks! Looking at your "notes", I have some insight on the "Showing Bits" number. It is a bit-flag encoded field, which means if you express the number in binary format, a 1 or 0 in a particular column means the feature is on or off. The conversion between normal (decimal) and binary is easily done in the Windows calculator, or in any programming language -- and I assume in Excel. Your data shows the following flag assignments:

Bit# Feature
0 CC
1 Stereo
2 Sub
3 In prog
4 Class
5 SAP

Where bit #0 is the right-most binary column, #1 is the second from right, etc. The decimal equivalent of a bit# is just 2 raised to the bit# power, i.e.,
bit #0 = 1
#1 = 2
#2 = 4,
etc.
Thus to find out what the decimal numbers above 53 do you only need to try values of 64, 128, 256, etc. until nothing happens or it crashes.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |