TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #271
Mephisto

2 TB internal upgrade on Tivo HD

I finally setup another 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar as a second internal drive in my TivoHD (my 1st 1 TB drive has already been filled up). The 2nd drive is a retail internal drive from Bestbuy. I changed the AAM setting from 254 (default) to 128, and paired it up with the 1st 1 TB (also a Deskstar) using spike's WinMFS tool. It shares power with the 1st drive using a 15 pin power extension Y-cable, and is internally connected to the 2nd SATA port (the one designed to work with eSATA) using the included internal SATA cable that came with the 2nd drive.

The recording capacity is now at 292 HD hours (with supersize on). So far it has worked without any problem for 5 hours. I am keeping my fingures crossed hoping it won't develop issues like it had a few weeks ago, when I tried hooking up an eSATA drive (a DB35/MX-1 combo), right after eSATA was enabled on the TivoHD by the 8.1.7c2 update.

Thanks again, spike!

Update:

It has worked flawlessly for a day now. No hint of any impending problem.

Last edited by Mephisto : 10-13-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #272
jlib
Lean Forward

Nice! Any pictures of the layout?
Old 10-13-2007, 07:10 AM   #273
Mephisto

Angry

I have not taken any picture yet. I'll remember to do that the next time I open the box.

Update:

I do have a picture now, but have not yet figured out how to load it.

Last edited by Mephisto : 10-13-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #274
aaronwt
HD Addict

How was the second drive mounted internally?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #275
Mephisto

The 2nd drive is mounted onto a drive bracket from an S2, and the bracket rests on a couple of internal components against the middle section of the back panel of the case.

The internal temperature has stayed at the same 48 degree (C) as before the 2nd drive was installed.

My TivoHD was purchased in late July. So I may have been lucky to have gotten one with the 'old' power supply (see post below). I do not sense any spin up difficulties with the two Hitachi drives.

Last edited by Mephisto : 10-14-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #276
clark_kent

Hello all,

To those of you looking at adding a second drive inside the THD, you might want to check the power supply in the unit:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=5571957

The "new" power supply is listed as 79W and 12V is listed as 1.2A.

The standard WD160GB 12V is listed as 410mA and the 1TB Hitachi is 850mA...**two Hitachi drives will need 1.7A to spin up.

Not sure what the available power is on the "old" supply as it was not printed on the PCB.

Happy upgrading.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #277
SCSIRAID

Im going to copy my THD 160 to a 500 tomorrow morning. Does the custom swap size option need to be messed with or just take the default? I copied my S3's original 250 onto the 500 just to get familiar with the process. Very Nice tool. Well done Spike.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:51 PM   #278
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent
To those of you looking at adding a second drive inside the THD, you might want to check the power supply in the unit:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=5571957

The "new" power supply is listed as 79W and 12V is listed as 1.2A.

The standard WD160GB 12V is listed as 410mA and the 1TB Hitachi is 850mA...**two Hitachi drives will need 1.7A to spin up.
Good point. This is probably a good use for a PowerTrip startup delay adapter. Once the two drives are running there should be no problem but at simultaneous startup you are seriously overloading the tiny power supply.

Edit: Might not work. Below, IBM = Hitachi. Not sure why brand of drive would make any difference, though.
"the PowerTrip has been tested with several brands of hard drives, and works with Maxtor, Western Digital, Quantum, Samsung and many others. The one known brand of drive that will NOT work with PowerTrip is IBM."
The good news is that the TiVo is rarely power cycled so any stresses on the power supply are minimized. Mine has been on non-stop for almost a year (with UPS). As long as it physically starts up without blowing the power supply fuse you should be OK. I would definitely recommend a UPS, though.

Last edited by jlib : 10-14-2007 at 12:15 AM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:41 AM   #279
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
"the PowerTrip has been tested with several brands of hard drives, and works with Maxtor, Western Digital, Quantum, Samsung and many others. The one known brand of drive that will NOT work with PowerTrip is IBM."
That note may be related to IDE drives only when two drives share the same bus. Each SATA drive is on a separate channel.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #280
WANUB

Hello all,

I want upgrade my THD but am a little nervous since a user in one of the previous messages stated that TiVo knows when you change the machine which I can see how they would but is this of any concern? Mine is only a couple of weeks old and I have it exactly where I would like it and aside from a little trouble with digital audio (which I am sure is my receiver), the THD works great.

Also, I am assuming that when I use MFS to copy the tivo factory drive, that I would need a FAT32 partition? Mine are all NTFS at the moment.

Thanks all,
AP
WANUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #281
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANUB
Hello all,

I want upgrade my THD but am a little nervous since a user in one of the previous messages stated that TiVo knows when you change the machine which I can see how they would but is this of any concern? Mine is only a couple of weeks old and I have it exactly where I would like it and aside from a little trouble with digital audio (which I am sure is my receiver), the THD works great.

Also, I am assuming that when I use MFS to copy the tivo factory drive, that I would need a FAT32 partition? Mine are all NTFS at the moment.

Thanks all,
AP
Not sure I understand your question...

You need a working Windows system (xp sp2) with the winmfs executable. Connect the stock Tivo drive and the new drive. Run winmfs. select the tivo drive, select copy, select new drive as destination and go. Hit yes when it asks if you want to expand. put it back together and enjoy.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #282
WANUB

Sorry... I missed some detail..

I have 2 SATA drives already taking up th 2 SATA ports on my Dell. I was going to use a USB to SATA adapter to do this. I assume that winmfs will put a copy some where on my PC and I was wondering if it is ok if the all my partitions are NTFS.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #283
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks all,
AP
That whole FAT32 thing is old-school. Not an issue any more.

XP SP2 or Vista work great. Either pop the drive into an external SATA enclosure, or connect it directly to a SATA port on your PC. Run WinMFS, backup to anywhere on your PC (NTFS is fine), then connect the destination drive, and restore.

If you want to keep recordings, you'll need both the original and the destination connected at the same time (or a lot of free disk space on your PC, and a lot of time).

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #284
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Sorry... I missed some detail..

I have 2 SATA drives already taking up th 2 SATA ports on my Dell. I was going to use a USB to SATA adapter to do this. I assume that winmfs will put a copy some where on my PC and I was wondering if it is ok if the all my partitions are NTFS.

Thanks
Yes it will. If you just want SP's, you can do a truncated backup, which takes only about 1.5GB (and about 5 minutes). If you want to keep all your recordings, you'll need to do a full backup, which will take up the space of the drive (160GB) (and about 2-4 hours for the backup and 2-4 for the restore, I think, I've always done a disk-to-disk copy).

Alternatively, if you can disconnect one of your PC drives, and connect the destination drive instead, you can do a copy from disk to disk, saving on your intirim backup space needs, and cutting the tiime almost in half.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #285
WANUB

Can I copy off to a USB drive by having the Tivo drive on the SATA to USB and I have an external USB drive as well..

Thank you
Old 10-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #286
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Can I copy off to a USB drive by having the Tivo drive on the SATA to USB and I have an external USB drive as well..

Thank you
Yup. You're in Windows, so any drive is accessible to you.

Why not put the destination drive in the other enclosure, and do a direct copy? Unless your other USB drive is pre-packaged, not an enclosure.

!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #287
WANUB

My other enclosure is older and is IDE to USB only. The SATA to USB is an adapter kit and not an enclosure...

I am off to BestBuy to get the 1TB they have on sale for $279. From all I have read, this should be good since I can quiet it down with the Hitachi feature tool.

Thanks for your help
Old 10-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #288
jlib
Lean Forward

Or disconnect your second Windows drive (probably not needed for booting) and use its SATA connector and power for the other TiVo drive so both can be connected at once. Or disconnect both Windows drives and use the MFSLive boot CD with both TiVo drives on the internal SATA (no USB-SATA adapters needed then).
Old 10-15-2007, 12:05 AM   #289
WANUB

Choices, choices..

Thanks folks
Old 10-15-2007, 01:31 AM   #290
WANUB

Update......

I got the new WD 1TB drive in and I can't believe how easy this was. 15 minutes and I was done... I now have 144 hours of HD and something like 1300+ hrs of SD..

I was suprised that the WD drive is so quiet. I did not run the Hitachi tool yet. I was wondering if I can do that through SATA->USB or does the drive need to on my PCs SATA channel... My tivo is on the living room and not in a cabinet so it has plenty of ventilation so I am guessing the drive will stay cool..

If I do need to run the Acoustic utility, can do it without losing anything or will I have to redo the whole WinMFS process?

On a side note, a huge thank you to Spike25. Thanks for the awesome tools...

Thank you
Old 10-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #291
jlib
Lean Forward

Some users have reported that the hdparm Linux command method works across USB (from any Linux boot disk such as the MFSLive disk). The Feature Tool is DOS based and doesn't natively understand USB. Adjusting seek acoustics only affects the firmware of the drive and not the contents and can be done at any time. You can be the judge whether it is even important with your WD drive. Some have reported they can live with the default setting since it is already so quiet.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #292
richsadams

Quote:
Update......

I got the new WD 1TB drive in and I can't believe how easy this was. 15 minutes and I was done... I now have 144 hours of HD and something like 1300+ hrs of SD..

I was suprised that the WD drive is so quiet. I did not run the Hitachi tool yet. I was wondering if I can do that through SATA->USB or does the drive need to on my PCs SATA channel... My tivo is on the living room and not in a cabinet so it has plenty of ventilation so I am guessing the drive will stay cool..

If I do need to run the Acoustic utility, can do it without losing anything or will I have to redo the whole WinMFS process?

On a side note, a huge thank you to Spike25. Thanks for the awesome tools...

Thank you
That's great news and thanks for the feedback. I have my WD 1TB "Green" drive sitting here waiting for an internal installation on our S3...as soon as we can catch up on the backlog of shows we want to watch before I disconnect the eSATA drive.

I've already set the AAM to 128, but even as a bare drive I couldn't hear much of a difference from the factory settings. It is indeed a very quiet drive.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #293
cr33p

I just recently purchased a WD 750 gb drive for my Tivo HD, I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad drive, will mfslive allow me to back up everything? Including cable card settings? I know that mfscopy will but Im trying to have the least amount of downtime, I will order the new replacement drive have this one backed up and ready to send back once the new one arrives.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:49 AM   #294
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
I just recently purchased a WD 750 gb drive for my Tivo HD, I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad drive, will mfslive allow me to back up everything? Including cable card settings? I know that mfscopy will but Im trying to have the least amount of downtime, I will order the new replacement drive have this one backed up and ready to send back once the new one arrives.
I'm almost certain that a truncated backup will save everything. However you probably ought to ask the expert, Spike, on his forum just to be sure.

MFSLiVe forum

Keep us posted!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #295
Morpheus101

What a breeze to make the upgrade to the Green 1TB drive. As usual I was worried more then I should have been. I usually find things much harder then what others are saying it is, but it certainly was not the case here. The only problem I had was that I did not turn off the screen saver before starting in XP and when I tried to deactivate it the Winmfs program stated it was not responding. I rebooted and disabled the screen saver and in about 45 minutes I was done.

I now have a series II upgrade if anyone is looking for one. 2 300GB Maxtor’s, weeknees bracket, fan and cables. Remove your drive, Plug in the IDE cable, bolt the bracket in, plug the power in and you now have 600GB of storage. You will need to do the necessary software transfer and adding the second drive.
Morpheus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:29 AM   #296
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus101 View Post
What a breeze to make the upgrade to the Green 1TB drive. As usual I was worried more then I should have been. I usually find things much harder then what others are saying it is, but it certainly was not the case here. The only problem I had was that I did not turn off the screen saver before starting in XP and when I tried to deactivate it the Winmfs program stated it was not responding. I rebooted and disabled the screen saver and in about 45 minutes I was done.

I now have a series II upgrade if anyone is looking for one. 2 300GB Maxtor’s, weeknees bracket, fan and cables. Remove your drive, Plug in the IDE cable, bolt the bracket in, plug the power in and you now have 600GB of storage. You will need to do the necessary software transfer and adding the second drive.
Congrats!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #297
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus101 View Post
What a breeze to make the upgrade to the Green 1TB drive.

I couldnt agree more. I did mine last night:

Took about 30 minutes to do everything. I'll see how this does me before I start thinking about connecting a 1TB esata drive. I might wait till the prices come down and just transfer programs back and forth from my pc if I have a problem with space. The only problem I ran into is the the Hitachi Feature Tool would not detect my drive so I could not lower the AAM. The drive seems very quiet right out of the wrapping so I might not even worry about it now.
brettatk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #298
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I couldnt agree more. I did mine last night:
Took about 30 minutes to do everything. I'll see how this does me before I start thinking about connecting a 1TB esata drive. I might wait till the prices come down and just transfer programs back and forth from my pc if I have a problem with space. The only problem I ran into is the the Hitachi Feature Tool would not detect my drive so I could not lower the AAM. The drive seems very quiet right out of the wrapping so I might not even worry about it now.
Nice. Agreed about the drive's sound level/AAM. I adjusted ours down to 128 (from 256 IIRC) and really couldn't tell much difference...it's a very quiet drive, about on par with our Seagate DB35.