TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #61
MickeS
Registered User
 
MickeS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 25,883
I would expect these and any other new HD channels in any system to be SDV. TiVo is in a pretty bad spot right now.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #62
Guardog36
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
The new channels indeed do not exist on my S3. God i wish FIOS was available. OR the dongle.
Guardog36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #63
milo99
Registered User
 
milo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 3,096
well, when you get new channels, are you supposed to just have them appear? don't you have to repeat setup? Or do you even have to go further and have Cox rehit the cablecards? I'm going thru guided setup again to see if they'll show up because they didn't even show up in the guide (but for example, NFL Network does show in the guide, it just says it's not available when i select it)

eta: well, finished guided setup, now the channels show up on the listing, but just as w/ NFLN, give me the channel not available when selected.

Last edited by milo99 : 12-05-2007 at 06:32 PM.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #64
fishnose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 6
Dongle rescue is announced/dated for 2d quarter 2008

As a Cox-Fairfax, VA "customer", I just confirmed that all of these new stations are apparently SDV and (like the NFL-HD offering added earlier) are the subject of announced addition of channels (in a TiVo message) but reported as "Channel not available" on the TiVo HD and S3.

Before getting back in the mood for arguing again with Cox that this was an action by them that made me worthy of receiving a credit (as I am now forced to accept less service until or unless I pay the surcharge for an extra box or substandard DVR and abandon TiVo), I searched for news on the dongle.

I was very happy to see this from November 26:

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/pressr...FORHDDVRs.html

As much as 7 months could be a long wait but it would seem that progress is being made on the solutions.
fishnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #65
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnose View Post
As a Cox-Fairfax, VA "customer", I just confirmed that all of these new stations are apparently SDV and (like the NFL-HD offering added earlier) are the subject of announced addition of channels (in a TiVo message) but reported as "Channel not available" on the TiVo HD and S3.
The fact that it says "Channel not available" is not enough proof that it is under SDV - Cox just may be intentionally leaving it out of channel map to reserve it for SDV. In Cox Orange County market (where SDV is slated to be deployed in a few months) several new HD channel additions behave the same way - I have guide listings but tuning says "Channel not available". The reason is CableCard channel map doesn't contain the new channels so Tivo doesn't know what frequency to tune when you select the channel.
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #66
sooka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The fact that it says "Channel not available" is not enough proof that it is under SDV - Cox just may be intentionally leaving it out of channel map to reserve it for SDV. In Cox Orange County market (where SDV is slated to be deployed in a few months) several new HD channel additions behave the same way - I have guide listings but tuning says "Channel not available". The reason is CableCard channel map doesn't contain the new channels so Tivo doesn't know what frequency to tune when you select the channel.
I have both a Tivo Series 3 and a Sony DHG-500 HD DVR + a Sony TV, all with cablecards and the new HD channels do not tune in. However on my other TV with a Cox STB attached to it, they tune in fine. Thus, proof enough that they are indeed on SDV, just as Cox said future HD programming would be.
sooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #67
milo99
Registered User
 
milo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnose View Post

Before getting back in the mood for arguing again with Cox that this was an action by them that made me worthy of receiving a credit (as I am now forced to accept less service until or unless I pay the surcharge for an extra box or substandard DVR and abandon TiVo), I searched for news on the dongle.
if you are successful at getting a credit, i'd love to hear what you tell them to get it. Because as far as i know, since they don't charge extra for HD, there's nothing to credit you. we're getting the digital channels we're paying for, but not the HD versions.

then again, i dont know the details of FCC legislation that required cablecard compliance, if there's a provision for being able to access everything "or else"...
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #68
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooka View Post
I have both a Tivo Series 3 and a Sony DHG-500 HD DVR + a Sony TV, all with cablecards and the new HD channels do not tune in. However on my other TV with a Cox STB attached to it, they tune in fine. Thus, proof enough that they are indeed on SDV, just as Cox said future HD programming would be.
No, that's still not sufficient proof. CableCard devices get different channel maps than the digital set top box devices. As I mentioned in my market SDV has NOT been implemented yet however CableCard devices can't tune new HD channels while the set top boxes can. The reason is they are getting different channel maps. Note that I'm not saying that these channels are not under SDV in your market - they very well may be, just that the fact that you can't tune them with your CableCard devices is not sufficient proof of it.
Another interesting tidbit on this. In my market the Motorola DCH boxes are being deployed - those are the ones complying with removable security and containing an M-card in the back. Note that those set top boxes are programmed to receive same channel maps as the DCT set top boxes even though they are a CableCard enabled device. The good news about that is that if/when the tuning resolver becomes available hopefully customers with Tivos and the tuning resolver can be provisioned to have the same channel mappings as these.
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 12-06-2007 at 01:17 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #69
jrm01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
No, that's still not sufficient proof. CableCard devices get different channel maps than the digital set top box devices. As I mentioned in my market SDV has NOT been implemented yet however CableCard devices can't tune new HD channels while the set top boxes can. The reason is they are getting different channel maps. Note that I'm not saying that these channels are not under SDV in your market - they very well may be, just that the fact that you can't tune them with your CableCard devices is not sufficient proof of it.
Another interesting tidbit on this. In my market the Motorola DCH boxes are being deployed - those are the ones complying with removable security and containing an M-card in the back. Note that those set top boxes are programmed to receive same channel maps as the DCT set top boxes even though they are a CableCard enabled device. The good news about that is that if/when the tuning resolver becomes available hopefully customers with Tivos and the tuning resolver can be provisioned to have the same channel mappings as these.

If you do not have SDV implemented the tuner resolver isn't going to help anything. The fact that they use a different channel map is a policy decision, not a technical decision. Usually they do this just prior to SDV switch over so cc users don't get used to something they're about to lose. I would complain bitterly to your cable provider, your franchise authority and the FCC.
__________________
Comcast, Cox, TW, Charter and BHN are cabal companies.
(That is not a spelling error. Check the definition.
)
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #70
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
If you do not have SDV implemented the tuner resolver isn't going to help anything. The fact that they use a different channel map is a policy decision, not a technical decision. Usually they do this just prior to SDV switch over so cc users don't get used to something they're about to lose. I would complain bitterly to your cable provider, your franchise authority and the FCC.
I won't complain since I think the policy actually makes sense. Why enable channels for customers only to yank them away in a few months when SDV is deployed? So I can understand why they took this stance, especially as the policy also means that any channels that I can currently tune won't be taken away from me (at least that's what I'm being told).
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #71
sooka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
No, that's still not sufficient proof. CableCard devices get different channel maps than the digital set top box devices. As I mentioned in my market SDV has NOT been implemented yet however CableCard devices can't tune new HD channels while the set top boxes can. The reason is they are getting different channel maps. Note that I'm not saying that these channels are not under SDV in your market - they very well may be, just that the fact that you can't tune them with your CableCard devices is not sufficient proof of it.
Another interesting tidbit on this. In my market the Motorola DCH boxes are being deployed - those are the ones complying with removable security and containing an M-card in the back. Note that those set top boxes are programmed to receive same channel maps as the DCT set top boxes even though they are a CableCard enabled device. The good news about that is that if/when the tuning resolver becomes available hopefully customers with Tivos and the tuning resolver can be provisioned to have the same channel mappings as these.
Gotcha you. I understand what you are saying. I should have said and made it clear that I was speaking with certainty in our area. The channel maps in our area have always been the same whether you had their STB or cablecards.
sooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #72
donahurj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
I understand the part about not receiving the HD channels, but about 3 weeks ago I lost all channels that weren't basic. I am on the promo now where I get about every channel, but none of the HBO's, Showtime, or even the other tiers work. Of course Cox has no idea, and the tech they sent out looked at the cablecards as if they were aliens...eventhough he said he had down tivo installs before.

I think I might give in and rent the box till the dongle comes out...waiting for fios to come to my part of fairfax....
donahurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #73
CactusMark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2
Did SDV take channels away?

I understand the bit about not getting the channels that Cox has added because they are SDV, but now all my HD channels, except for the network ones, have disappeared. Since its the encrypted HD channels that are gone, I'm hoping its just an encryption problem, but you never know with Cox. I'm in Fairfax. Anyone have any ideas on this?
CactusMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #74
pdm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 41
Lost all non local HD channels in Fairfax, VA

About a week and half ago Cox launched some new HD channels in Fairfax , VA, like Food TV, HGTV in HD, but the tivo couldnt' get them because they were SDV. I went away for a week so I can't be sure the day it started, but now I get 0 HD channels except for the clearQAM HD Locals. Not national geographic, not UHD, nothing. What he heck. :-( I'd say poor TiVO but damn, its poor ME, I'm the customer who's paying money for this junk that doesn't work.
pdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #75
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,258
Are you guys serious? All non-local HD channels went SDV? That flies in the face of what Cox is telling me here locally in Orange County, CA. From what I was told only newest HD channels additions plus any others here on out will be SDV but not existing ones I currently receive. I hope this is a mistake by Cox...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusMark View Post
I understand the bit about not getting the channels that Cox has added because they are SDV, but now all my HD channels, except for the network ones, have disappeared. Since its the encrypted HD channels that are gone, I'm hoping its just an encryption problem, but you never know with Cox. I'm in Fairfax. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm View Post
About a week and half ago Cox launched some new HD channels in Fairfax , VA, like Food TV, HGTV in HD, but the tivo couldnt' get them because they were SDV. I went away for a week so I can't be sure the day it started, but now I get 0 HD channels except for the clearQAM HD Locals. Not national geographic, not UHD, nothing. What he heck. :-( I'd say poor TiVO but damn, its poor ME, I'm the customer who's paying money for this junk that doesn't work.

__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:36 AM   #76
sooka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Are you guys serious? All non-local HD channels went SDV? That flies in the face of what Cox is telling me here locally in Orange County, CA. From what I was told only newest HD channels additions plus any others here on out will be SDV but not existing ones I currently receive. I hope this is a mistake by Cox...
You are correct. All non-local HD channels did NOT go SDV. What Cox told you will be the case in your area is what we in Fairfax have now in our area. I don't know the specific reason why the previous two posters in Fairfax have experienced what they are experiencing or why they have lost their exisiting HD channels but I have two different HD dvrs with cablecards and a TV with a cablecard, and the only HD channels I can't get are those that have been put on SDV , the new ones that were recently added. All of the previous non-local HD channels - Discovery HD, Universal HD, A&E HD, NGC HD, MOJO, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, CW HD, TNT HD, PBS HD, and others still tune in without any problems on my equipment.
sooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:45 AM   #77
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooka View Post
You are correct. All non-local HD channels did NOT go SDV. What Cox told you will be the case in your area is what we in Fairfax have now in our area. I don't know the specific reason why the previous two posters in Fairfax have experienced what they are experiencing or why they have lost their exisiting HD channels but I have two different HD dvrs with cablecards and a TV with a cablecard, and the only HD channels I can't get are those that have been put on SDV , the new ones that were recently added. All of the previous non-local HD channels - Discovery HD, Universal HD, A&E HD, NGC HD, MOJO, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, CW HD, TNT HD, PBS HD, and others still tune in without any problems on my equipment.
Thanks for posting and the re-assurance. Sometimes it's hard to know what to believe.
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #78
pdm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 41
Well I stand corrected, I had already rebooted, but I did so again based on sooka's response and now I get the HD channels I got before. The failure behavior before was exactly the same as the SDV channels "Channel unavailable" . Ths Tivo HD periodically requires a reboot to get channels back (like once a week) :-(
pdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #79
vascott1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 27
I have a question. I am in Fairfax and FIOS just arrived for me. Based on the number of trucks I am seeing and the length of time they are at various homes I am going to give it a month or two for the infrastructure to shake out before I decide to switch to it from COX.. My question is this.. I read that within 3 years FIOS was going to an IP based solution. see this article If that is true, it would seem that switching to FIOS buys you about 3 years till more issues arise. I am wondering if it makes sense to sit with COX and see how the dongle works out. That sounds like the better long term solution from a content perspective. I do know that FIOS is a better picture but is it that much better?

Last edited by vascott1 : 12-17-2007 at 08:33 AM.
vascott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #80
acvthree
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Posts: 2,436
I'm on the side that the article you mentioned is more marketing than anything else. That article provides a lot of FUD for just this type of conversation to occur. This is a big technology change with lots of infrastructure changes needed. For a technology that is announced 3 years out, I think it is much more rare than hitting the lottery to make that date on time. Purely my guess, but I would expect that to be years later for a full turnover to IP. So, worst case, after 4-5 years of enjoying FIOS you pick up the phone and tell COX to switch you back. The only change would be connecting their box to the coax on the outside wall. Not a lot of risk here.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #81
stiglerus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vascott1 View Post
I do know that FIOS is a better picture but is it that much better?
I don't think this is necessarily true. I have seen Verizons FIOS HD (albeit briefy) but my initial opinion was that my Cox looked better.
stiglerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #82
stiglerus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
I have confirmed that Verizon FIOS picture is lacking considerably when compared to Cox cables picture; SD and HD (in Fairfax VA anyway). I am an HD video post production specialist FWIW and also a TV baby.
I began testing FIOS vs Cox Cable because I am a Cox customer and was upset about the SDV issues with Tivo. After exploring FIOS, there is no way I can switch because the picture is so highly compressed; "mosquito noise" around text, compression artifacting, tight contrast ratio... just plain ugly. I tested at 2 customer sites (dad and brother), then at Verizons own exhibit at Tysons Corner Mall.
Hear this: pray for the Tivo dongle, don't jump on the Verizon boat too soon unless variety trumps quality for you. If you are on this Tivo site, you obviously enjoy the best viewing experience possible. In the Northern VA area Cox's picture is leaps and bounds better than Verizon's. Verizons FIOS is hype when it comes to television picture quality. My poor dad and brother have no idea how good HD NFL can look. For real.
stiglerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #83
RossoNeri
Tech Geek
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiglerus View Post
I have confirmed that Verizon FIOS picture is lacking considerably when compared to Cox cables picture; SD and HD (in Fairfax VA anyway). I am an HD video post production specialist FWIW and also a TV baby.
I began testing FIOS vs Cox Cable because I am a Cox customer and was upset about the SDV issues with Tivo. After exploring FIOS, there is no way I can switch because the picture is so highly compressed; "mosquito noise" around text, compression artifacting, tight contrast ratio... just plain ugly. I tested at 2 customer sites (dad and brother), then at Verizons own exhibit at Tysons Corner Mall.
Hear this: pray for the Tivo dongle, don't jump on the Verizon boat too soon unless variety trumps quality for you. If you are on this Tivo site, you obviously enjoy the best viewing experience possible. In the Northern VA area Cox's picture is leaps and bounds better than Verizon's. Verizons FIOS is hype when it comes to television picture quality. My poor dad and brother have no idea how good HD NFL can look. For real.
I'm not a post production specialist, but I am a former COX customer and current FiOS customer. Across all channels the FiOS PQ has been much better than the COX PQ. On HD channels, FiOS "feels" sharper but that could just be my imagination.

Also, unless something has changed VERY recently, FiOS is not compressing the HD Locals. They are simply retransmitting the same signal that you receive OTA. I cannot find the forum, but other users have done bit-by-bit comparisons of the signal and proved that they're the same signal.

I recommend FiOS over the MSO's any day of the week. Not just PQ, but their Internet service has been far more stable and consistent and their customer service far exceeds the negligible effort that COX puts in. After their DOCSIS 2.0 upgrade debacle killed my Internet for 10 days, and (2) service call nightmares on another issue, the last two weighed heavily in my desire to dump COX.

The one thing I recommend to folks with FiOS: get a TiVo. This isn't just because the TiVO is so awesome (we all know it is) but the FiOS DVR's use a homegrown Verizon interface. It is retched and does stupid things like not recording anything after a reboot until a human powers it on (that cost me 3 days of shows over a long weekend out of town). Normally the provider controlled boxes are usable. Not in this case...

Happy New Year to all. Here's hoping that 2008 is truly the year that ends the SDV drama.
RossoNeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #84
warewolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 25
Angry SDV cable channels as of 8/7/2008 for NoVA COX Cable

I got some bad news for you folks. A large chunk of cox cable is SDV. a REALLY large chunk. Compare the attached word doc (in zip, because 109kb is exactly 9 kb too large for a word doc to upload) to their cable lineup here: http://www.cox.com/fairfax/digitalca...nnellineup.asp. This comes directly from a Cox cable rep. Thankfully I weaseled him into sending this info to me.

I am sofa king pissed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NORTHERN VIRGINIA SWITCH DIGITAL CHANNELS.zip (6.8 KB, 40 views)
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #85
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 14,300
Why would some of those popular channels use SDV?
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #86
pdm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 41
Those chanells < 100 I get analog versions of. The digital versions may be SDV but my tivoHD doesn't seem to tune to those, I just get the analog versions, and they work 'fine' , but I get crappy analog artifacts.

I hope the SDV dongle comes soon though, i'm getting really tired of missing most of the HD channels.
pdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #87
NSPhillips
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm View Post
Those chanells < 100 I get analog versions of. The digital versions may be SDV but my tivoHD doesn't seem to tune to those, I just get the analog versions, and they work 'fine' , but I get crappy analog artifacts.

I hope the SDV dongle comes soon though, i'm getting really tired of missing most of the HD channels.
That's true. The lower channels were all digital until they introduced SDV. Much better picture quality before then on my S3.
NSPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #88
pdm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSPhillips View Post
That's true. The lower channels were all digital until they introduced SDV. Much better picture quality before then on my S3.
Oh really? I thought they were analog all along, but, I did notice like several months ago, I can't remember exactly, that several channels started having crappy picture quality, and a rolling 'bar' of distortion going up the screen.

I tell you what, if Tivo and DirecTV ever make amends and come out with an mpeg4 HD directivo, I'd go back in an instant. Maybe i'll change my tune is this dongle ever materializes, but I doubt it.
pdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #89
cableguy763
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm View Post
Oh really? I thought they were analog all along, but, I did notice like several months ago, I can't remember exactly, that several channels started having crappy picture quality, and a rolling 'bar' of distortion going up the screen.

I tell you what, if Tivo and DirecTV ever make amends and come out with an mpeg4 HD directivo, I'd go back in an instant. Maybe i'll change my tune is this dongle ever materializes, but I doubt it.
Sounds like you have a grounding issue going on at your house. You might want to get that checked out.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #90
warewolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 25
Update on my Cox 'exprience'

Apparently, repeatedly calling Cox's TV support and letting them enter notes into your account about how you're having problems ("Hey, I can't get discovery HD, what's going on") helps.

Speaking to the billing department, the billing rep I spoke to pulled up their "normal" cable channel line up, and compared it to the "cable card" channel lineup. I said "Yeah, you'll notice it's a little different" to which she corrected me "No, it's a *lot* different!" She told me that she'd give me a discount for this month (which I took) but that she couldn't do anything permenant or reoccuring on the bill.

I asked who could give me a reoccuring discount, and she said the loyalty department (read: customer retention) may be able to. The guy I spoke to was shockingly well aware of the situation, and we chit-chatted about the new "add on device" (his description of a tuning adapter) and how there were new two-way devices coming out (tru2way). I told him that both were still in testing/development and would be out in the "future", and that neither would help me in the here & now.

He gave me a discount spread across 4 months. In four months, I'll call back and see if they've switched to "all digital" or have a tuning adapter ready.

So the trick is to be persistant, convince the folks that yes, not being able to receive half the HD channels does mean that you're not getting all that you're paying for. Especially when getting your provider's cable box and/or DVR would raise your overall cable bill by $20/mo.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |