TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2007, 02:52 AM   #1
Unfocused

Official Buckeye Cablesystem CableCARD thread

Buckeye Cablesystem wanted $100 EACH for installation of CableCARDs. For an existing customer, with an existing, active, fully paid on time account in good standing for over 8 years!

Fortunately my area is served by two cable companies, and I was able to switch to Time Warner, and got a 1 year $10/month reduction in my bill for switching, which more than paid for the $20 each they charged to install.

I spoke to customer service, and then spoke to a manager over the phone, looking for someone to make any effort at all to keep my as a Buckeye Cablesystem customer, but they insisted that $100 each was the installation fee, and they couldn't do anything for me. I asked if there was a company officer I could contact, but I was told "no", and that they had no retention plans for people thinking of jumping ship to Time Warner.

Well, when I brought my cable boxes and cable modem in to the office to cancel, the customer service rep at the counter said I should have spoken to a Mr. Carstensen, Vice President in charge of Customer Satisfaction. I asked how I should know to talk to him, but she didn't have an answer.

She insisted that Mr. Carstensen would have made things right for me.
I told her I'd contact him and see what he offered. I haven't done that yet. I will be in touch with him to tell him exactly why I switched.

Quite frankly, at this point, I'm glad I switched. Time Warner Cable has a few more channels, a lower price, and I also switched to AT&T DSL while I was changing, so my overall cable & internet bill has dropped from $110 a month to $68. The only drawback is I now use rabbit ears stuck behind the TV to get FOX in HD (works great!), and a couple of the analog channels have slight interference on them now and then. TW says they're fixing that in late February.

Maybe this post will help other Buckeye Cablesystem customers who don't want to pay $200 for installation of CableCARDs.
Unfocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
bidger

Did you ask the TWC rep about Switched Digital Video?
bidger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Ben_Jamin75

Anyone know if Buckeye has M-cards?
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Ben_Jamin75

I e-mailed buckeye about M-Cards & the install fee.
They do have M-Cards, and they say they are only charging the install fee per trip, not per card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Jamin75
Does buckeye offer Multi-Stream CableCards?

If not, do you offer any type of installation discount for TiVoHD customers that need two single-stream CableCards?
First reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your recent email. We do offer 1 way and 2 way cable cards. The installation fee is $100.00 for either. In the event we would need to install 2 cards, we would charge just the $100.00 fee and not for 2.

If there is anything that I may assist you with in the future; please do not hesitate to contact me.
my reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Jamin75
Just to clarify. I’m asking about Multi-Stream cablecards (M-cards), not “two way” cablecards. The TiVoHD is capable of recording two channels at the same time with its two built in tuners. It needs either one, multi-stream card (capable of decoding more than one channel simultaneously) or two, single-stream cards (only capable of decoding one channel each).

The website says installation of a cablecard is $100.

My questions are
1) do you in fact have multi stream cable cards?
2) If you don’t, and I need two single stream cable cards, are you going to charge me $200 for the install? I’d be asking for TWO cards for ONE device and one trip for the installer.

If you are unfamiliar with multi-stream cablecards, or the TivoHD. Please reference this website: http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...5-4bfde6a851e4
Then I got a reply from the CSR & Level 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye CSR
Thanks for your reply.

I am going to forward your questions about our cable cards to the Technical Department. They should be able to answer what type of cards we offer and if they will fit in with what you require. Someone will contact you shortly.

The installation cost would be $100.00 for the trip out to your home.

Thanks for your interest and have a wonderful holiday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Level 2
We do have M-cards available for just such a situation. If, for some unknown reason, when we came out to install the M-Card we had to use 2 S-cards there would NOT be an additional charge even though we would install 2 cards.

Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote