TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #4321
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXBatou View Post
Companies get too large and then lose sight of the fact that Customer Service means something.
What's the fun of being a monopoly if you can't treat the customers like @#$* and still collect their money?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #4322
bizzy

you mis-spelled 'extort'
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #4323
Brad Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXBatou View Post
You would think there would be laws/regulations somewhere to prevent them from doing the stupid things I've read on this and other forums. Companies get too large and then lose sight of the fact that Customer Service means something.

Anyhow, sorry for the OT rant. I am going to run to the local office at lunch and see if i can get 2 cable cards from them. I would rather have 1 mcard, but to be honest I am quite afraid they won't know the diffference between a m and a s card. Actually, I don't either, does it say mcard/scard on it usually?
the Mcard has an "M" on it
(you only need one if you have a TiVo HD - put it into slot 1)
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #4324
dr_lha

Update: Comcast not only called me back, but they also got my Digital Cable channels working! I guess I should be happy this process only took 12 days. Surprisingly the issue was at the "head-end", i.e. in the Comcast computer system and not the TiVo or CableCard. The key seemed to be the fact that one of my engineers got so angry during the visit that the guy on the phone didn't seem to have a clue that he spent 5 mins outside yelling at his supervisor, so they must have decided it was time to sort out my issue. Good for me, but it really highlights how clueless "normal" Comcast support people that this guy just didn't have a clue how to set up the cablecard, and yet he was the "go to guy" for the technicians to call to set these things up.

Well its over for now, and I have my channels. I'm very happy, until they start deciding SDV is a great idea of course.

PS: FYI I am being charged no additional outlet fees and $2.00 for a "second" cable card (I have 1 M-Card), so by going from a Digital Cable box to TiVo HD, I'm paying $2 more a month, but I get a bunch of HD channels as part of the "Digitial Basic" tier including ESPNS, Discovery, UHD, TNT and a couple of others.
dr_lha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #4325
JakiChan

So now with an SDV solution on the horizon I was wondering - I've seen some folks referencing saving money when switching to TiVo with Comcast but I was looking at my bill and it looks like I pay $11.95/mo for the Comcast DVR. If I prepay a year of TiVo service I might save a dollar a month. Am I missing something?

(Personally, the cost of the tivo service is one thing that holds me back. I mean if Comcast can afford to rent hardware to me for $12 then I'm not sure why the tivo service costs $13...)
JakiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #4326
troche

Atlanta: Craziest C0MCAST saga yet!

First, as a newbie, the post below was rejected because webaddresses aren’t allowed in newbie posts… and my post seems to be rejected cos there is a searchbot looking for the letter c then the letter o then the letter m. So my post about C0mcast cable will have to refer to C0mcast this way. This saga took place in September, when I wrote this, maybe when I post this tonight it’ll finally pass the filter.

Onward…

I got a new HD TiVo last week, and I was reading all these C0mcast posts, and I of course had this sense of impending dread. It seems like such a roll of the dice when starting out on one’s own CableCard saga – your C0mcast experience will either be a breeze or sadly pathetic. I picked up the phone. My saga began. Which would it be??

Drum roll…

Awww, too bad. Yours will be sadly pathetic.

Here, as briefly as I can, is what happened. Called 1-800-C0MCAST, around 930AM, got a CSR right away, in Atlanta no less, where I am. Simply said I wanted a CableCard installation appointment, after confirming there was no pick up option. Very friendly guy. Went on to explain that I wanted two cards for a one outlet billing set up. Only then did I explain this was for a TiVo. CSR said he’d never handled a TiVo installation. I told him I had done a lot of research – also mentioned I am a video editor with an engineering degree – so when I said the first card should be free, the second one $1.50 etc, he was like “one outlet? sure boss, whatever you want.” Mentioned to pls put request for 2 cards and 2 backups as sometimes they fail.

He was v keen on being helpful, we chatted, he said his brother just got a TiVo and that he, the CSR wished he knew more. I suggested he go to this very forum and read the posts re:C0mcast.

Was v surprised to hear there was an appointment open the very next afternoon (!)

Well so far so good. Next day, the tech calls, says hello, he’s 20 minutes away, wants to let me know that “C0mcast don’t have no TiVo cards.”

Pardon?

“C0mcast don’t have no TiVo cards.”

Uh oh, bad sign. No, I say, I need regular cable cards that will be installed in my TiVo as if installing in a regular HDTV.

“I understand all that,” he says, “but C0mcast don’t supply no TiVo cards, you have to get them from TiVo.”

Have you ever installed cards in a TiVo I ask?

No.

Well then bring over regular CableCards and we’ll sort it out.

Guy arrives an hour and a half later. He is looking at the cards puzzlingly.... and admits he’s actually never installed any CableCards at all, EVER. Hoo boy, I think, ain’t C0mcast just an embarrassment? So I said hey pal, have a seat, I have the instructions, let me try this myself. But he wanted to put it in the slot. OK, fine.

I learned later he brought 2 multistream cards. When you install card 1 into slot one TiVo says Single Stream card inserted. A few sec’s later the TiVo screen updates to Multi, I missed that, and it threw me. Since he held the cards I didn’t see the card said M-Card – I began the process as if they were single stream.

No matter, cos things were about to go downhill. I did the setup instructions and I then told him it was OK call in to activate, He gets on his cellphone.

He does that, um, “urban” cell thing where he talks to the cell a foot away with the cell speaker on. I hear him reach some lazy confused person at C0mcast who says there was no one there to send the signal; they were all out on a smoke break. ALL of them he asks?? “Ain't no one over there” says the Voice, “you need to just calm down and call back.”

My tech takes offense: “I’m a professional, I don’t need this!” he barks.

We wait 10 mins, he calls again, I can hear new op saying yes I’ll send a signal.

“Well where was you all earlier!!??” my tech demands. Terse answer: I been here all the time. "Well X said you were all out smoking." Terser answer: That is a lie. She is a liar. Tech: "well why didn’t you answer 10 mins ago if you were there?" She says now you are lying. "No YOU are lying." No you!

Babies!

This augment escalates while I sit there, went on and on while I sat there, amazed. I said to myself if I’d video’d this and put it on YouTube, it’d rank #8 by Friday.

They move on, and the office dweeb finally sends signal. After a time, cablecard responds, but it does not unlock my digital tier (premium) channels, just the analog group. I install the 2nd card, now Tivo auto-prompts to say that is a multi stream card, you don’t need that, eject it. But after ejecting the 2nd card, TiVo takes all my channels to black and I am getting NOTHING.

Maybe it is a cable strength issue I say. OK, the tech says, I’ll get my tester from my truck. Ummmmm, wait, he says, no, I don’t have my tester. I don’t have my truck. I just have my car. I’ve been having a busy day.

Back to square one. So I have him call the office again to send a signal again, and he takes out his cell with its little loud speaker and dials in. I feel like I am walking up the stairs to Linda Blair, here we go again.

More arguing. Now it is revealed the whole system is down, my account can’t be logged into, and even if we wanted a signal sent, the “DEPET” signaling system is down too. He hangs up, and heads to the door. “Well there’s nothing I can do, and I gotta go, sign here,” said TECHNICIAN 8678.

So tech 8768 leaves – I sure got my 20 dollars worth out of that service call don’t you think? When he came I got 77 channels, now I got zero. No Truck. No tools, no gear. C0mcast T-shirt, though, that’s something. Did I mention he’s tech 8768?

He leaves the unused card on the table. The next day I call the 800 number and tell them my saga and how the DEPET was down they… OK OK fine sorry said this rushed CSR -- I’ll send the signal. 30 mins later, no change. All channels still black.

All along TiVo has kept asking to re-run the guided setup, but as this list has said it is usually not necessary if you ran it pre-card-install, I have not. But now I do, and it WAS a waste of time… it takes 30 mins, and there is no change, I am still at square 1. I learn that all that guided setup does is ask for your zip, and your cable systems name, and then it downloads the whole schedule for all channels up to 999. So this process would not need to be redone just cos your card changed what you can and cannot get, not what your cable co has overall.

So I eject card 1, and load the unused card. I call the 800 number for a signal. Now it is the evening and it takes 20 mins to get yet another CSR. I call back an hour later to say THAT signal did nothing. FIFTH (SIXTH?) CSR says signal has now been sent to both cards, and both cards have both sent back data indicating they are OK.

My word, could it actually be a TiVo issue?

I eject card 2, replace it with card 1, and unplug the Tivo, wait 10 sec, plug it in. During the usual long reboot, I look up the TiVo HD help line and prepare to call. Suddenly a sound from the HDTV – sitcom audio! All channels are there! The OTA HD’s the cool free HD’s C0mcast has never bothered to tell anyone about, and my digital basic tier – BBC etc. What a nice surprise.

Two days later I returned the extra card to the Tivo office in Chamblee. I began to relate this long story and the guy just cut me off and asked if I wanted the service call charge refunded. End of story.. .

Atlanta out.
troche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #4327
mvp119

I currently have limited basic cable from Comcast (Ocean County NJ) for $15/month. I can get the local HDTV channels on my tivo HD but without Guide data. Does anyone know if it is possible to get cable cards and stay on the limited basic cable? or do I need to pay for digital cable and a lot of channels that I don't need?

I wouldn't mind paying an extra $10/month to get my HD channels mapped correctly, but an extra $45 for digital cable is not worth it to me. I tried getting HD OTA but could not receive a signal from any of the networks.

Thanks,

Mike
mvp119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 PM   #4328
rlawson4

Comcast has met my expectations

After reading all of these responses, I have to say that Comcast has met my expectations in that they have completely dropped the ball. They have failed to show up for 3 appointments. They did appear at one appointment with 2 broken S-Cards. So, 10 days out, I have no cable cards. They insist that I must have one of their "installers" come to my house. They will not allow me to pick cards at my local office. They also have told me that they are out of cards, however, they keep making appointments only to fail to appear due to not having the cards. It all appears to be a vain attempt to not allow me to choose my own set-top box and return to their awful DVR.
rlawson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 AM   #4329
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp119 View Post
I currently have limited basic cable from Comcast (Ocean County NJ) for $15/month. I can get the local HDTV channels on my tivo HD but without Guide data. Does anyone know if it is possible to get cable cards and stay on the limited basic cable? or do I need to pay for digital cable and a lot of channels that I don't need?

I wouldn't mind paying an extra $10/month to get my HD channels mapped correctly, but an extra $45 for digital cable is not worth it to me. I tried getting HD OTA but could not receive a signal from any of the networks.
I've seen at least half a dozen people here who've reported being able to get cablecards with limited basic on Comcast, so it's possible. I don't think I've seen anybody in NJ, though - it's been several in California, Houston, and perhaps Chicago. It depends on what you can convince your local franchise to do for you, and some franchises are insistent on going to a digital package. But it's worth trying.

Note some people have been able to add digital cable, get cablecards, and drop digital cable (keeping the cable cards). That's a more expensive gamble.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:47 AM   #4330
david4788

Please update your profiles to at least your general location. It will allow others to help if they live in your area. Thanks
david4788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #4331
PSXBatou

I really don't get why they will not let you just pick up the cable cards. I tried the local Roseville office (closer to my work) and they will not give out cards, instead they have to "roll" a truck to install them. Basically they said the wanted to be sure it was installed correctly and to be honest that is why I would rather do it myself since the majority of the installers I have met have very little to no experience with technology.

I'm sure its a money thing, they want that $13.99 for the install fee.. I would be willing to pay the fee just to be able to get the cards from a local office and not have to deal with someone coming to my home and either 1. bringing the wrong equipment 2. not bringing enough cards 3. Not knowing anything about what was going on.

Most my service calls out here end up requiring a 2nd or a 3rd visit, I have an appointment next Friday to get my cable cards but I will be calling to confirm the appointment and be sure that its noted that I need 2 cable cards and that its for a TiVo install.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it goes well, but I don't have high expectations. Sorry for the rant, I would just like to be able to get the cards myself instead of having someone come to my home to do something that I am more than capable of doing by myself...
PSXBatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #4332
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

I just tried calling to add the Sports Entertainment package for NFL Network and was told by two separate reps that it couldn't be done because of my CableCARDS. I assume they're BSing me (again)?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #4333
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
I just tried calling to add the Sports Entertainment package for NFL Network and was told by two separate reps that it couldn't be done because of my CableCARDS. I assume they're BSing me (again)?
If the Sports Entertainment package requires the same sort of interactivity as OnDemand or PPV, then you won't be able to get that with the CableCARDs. You'll need a Comcast box for that.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #4334
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
If the Sports Entertainment package requires the same sort of interactivity as OnDemand or PPV, then you won't be able to get that with the CableCARDs. You'll need a Comcast box for that.
It doesn't. It is a $4.99 sports package tier that includes NHL networks and a few other stations.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #4335
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
I get the sports package with CableCards. It does sound like BS.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #4336
jmpage2

Quote:
If the package is delivered by SDV or some other 2 way protocol then yes, you're screwed with cable cards.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #4337
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
If the package is delivered by SDV or some other 2 way protocol then yes, you're screwed with cable cards.
Have they gone SDV in Chicago yet? Haven't heard anything, and a quick Google doesn't indicate anything.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #4338
jmpage2

Quote:
Have they gone SDV in Chicago yet? Haven't heard anything, and a quick Google doesn't indicate anything.
No idea, but it's one of the only valid excuses for why they can't bond that channel to your cable cards.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #4339
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
No idea, but it's one of the only valid excuses for why they can't bond that channel to your cable cards.
Well, the point is now moot.

The third round in my CSR roulette proved successful.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 PM   #4340
jlee301

I have Tivo Series3 unit with the latest software.

I have the Comcast installer coming to my house tomorrow and would like to know whether or not the installer can use one MCARD in order to get both tuners active or will I still need two cards.

I've read that the TivoHD units can handle using just one MCARD to make both tuners work, but is the Series3 still not ready for this?

I am asking because I want to make sure the installer brings enough cards with him to get the job done smoothly.
jlee301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #4341
nedeveritt

I stopped by the Comcast office this afternoon to return the remote the technician forgot to take with their DVR.

I also added the Sports Package for 1.99 per month for 6 months. When I got home, none of the channels were coming in, so I rebooted the TiVo. All appeared well after that, until I discovered CC #2 was not getting the channels. Trying to get it resolved with Comcast right now. Nothing is ever easy with these folks!

Ned
nedeveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #4342
nedeveritt

It's fixed. I'm now getting the Sports Package on both cableCARDs. Comcast had to hit the second card. I suspect the person at the center this afternoon only activated the first card when enabling the service.

Of course, it wasn't until after I hung up with them that I realized the NFL Network that I was watching (275 in Harford County, MD) was not in HD. Another call to Comcast. I was told the HD feed was on channel 246, which according to TiVo is HDGOW (whatever that is) with no programming information available. 246 isn't even listed on the Comcast channel lineup posted on their website. How typical.

Thanks,
Ned
nedeveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #4343
dr_lha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee301 View Post
I have Tivo Series3 unit with the latest software.

I have the Comcast installer coming to my house tomorrow and would like to know whether or not the installer can use one MCARD in order to get both tuners active or will I still need two cards.

I've read that the TivoHD units can handle using just one MCARD to make both tuners work, but is the Series3 still not ready for this?

I am asking because I want to make sure the installer brings enough cards with him to get the job done smoothly.
Currently the Series3 cannot use a single M-Card for dual tuners. You need either 2 S-Cards or 2 M-Cards. Tivo HDs (which have different chips in them!) can use a single M-Card. From what I've heard this is mainly a hardware issue, and its possible that Series 3 Tivos will never support the single M-Card configuration Tivo HDs do.
dr_lha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #4344
4SN1

Cool Double HD Billing

I have a Tivo HD with 2 cable cards.
Comcast is charging me $6.95 on each card to get the HD tier. the first card is free but the second card is $1.50. When I ordered the service the woman said she had to charge me HD for both cards. When I spoke to someone else they said Comcast should not be charging me twice. I decided to get the service check my bill and take it up with the local Comcast office. Well, the local office wouldn't budge either. I argued that I'm only viewing HD on one TV. How can they charge me twice ? She said that she could take the HD off one of the cards but she was not sure which one to take it off.
Question: Can I take HD off one of the cards and recieve the HD on the other card? How do I specify a card when recording or watching live TV? Do I really need to pay for the HD tier to get these channels on my HD Tivo?

Comcast in my area of Louisiana does not offer the M-Card. Can I purchase a M-card. It may be cheaper to buy an M-card than pay $84 a year for the extra HD charge.

Thanks for your input
4SN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #4345
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SN1 View Post
I have a Tivo HD with 2 cable cards.
Comcast is charging me $6.95 on each card to get the HD tier. the first card is free but the second card is $1.50. [...snipped...] Can I take HD off one of the cards and recieve the HD on the other card? How do I specify a card when recording or watching live TV? Do I really need to pay for the HD tier to get these channels on my HD Tivo?

Thanks for your input
It won't save you much, but Comcast told me there's a $10/mo HD package that would apply to both cards. When I got my cards a few weeks ago, they originally added $12/mo/card for the "digital tier". I then found out that they could have instead given me the "digital package" for $15/mo and that it would give me digital on both cards.

(I passed on both and stayed with expanded basic service. Most of my channels are now digital stations remapped to the analog channel numbers. Plus I get a half-dozen HD channels for $55/mo.)

If you get different channels on your two CableCards, I don't think Tivo can handle it. I had a problem with one CC not getting a bunch of channels for a while and I found no way to tell Tivo about the disparity. The "Channels you receive" screen didn't seem to allow independent choices between the two tuners.

Somebody jump in and correct me if I'm wrong on anything here.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #4346
jcwedit

I just moved from NJ to Atlanta with 2 TivoHDs. I called Comcast to get my cable cards installed. Here is a reiview of each of my 6 sheaduled truck rolls:
1. Tech arrives on time with no cable cards. Why did he come at all?
2. Tech arrives with 2 SCards, niether work, seems to never have seen a Tivo before.
3. Tech arrives with 4 Scards, 1 works!!! The rest have "NG" written in marker on them, "hmm i wonder what that means?" says the tech.
4. Tech arrives "So whats wrong with your cable" he says, "you are here to install cable cards" i say, "oh it doesnt say that on the paper work, i don't have cable cards". On the reciept it clearly has 3 lines for cable card. He is a liar or can't read.
5. Tech arrives with 2 Scards neither work.
6. Appointment set for tomorow, so i call this morning to be told that Atlanta has "no cards anywhere and we don't know when we are getting them".

I am not sure what to do at this point and i am totaly open to suggestions. Thier customer service people are rude and could care less. The best part is i just got my first bill from them for $130. I was stunned when i opened it. I love my Tivos but i dont think i can bring myself to give Comcast a dime at this point and im starting to think Direct TV may be the way to go. Don't you just Love monopolies.
jcwedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #4347
4SN1

How did you get the half dozen HD channels without paying for HD seperately? Is this just luck? I pay for the digital premium service with HBO but they still charge me $6.95 X2 cablecards. Should I try to take off the HD service and see what happens?
4SN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #4348
mshkim

How to resolve "analog only" channels

For those of you with THD (though this may work in Series 3 devices as well) and have had issues with receiving only network analog channels (i.e. 2-22 in Comcast) and network HD channels, but not digital or other HD channels (i.e. ESPN, TNT, Discovery etc.), and who have an M-card, here's the quick fix:

1. With your TV and THD both on and tuned to an analog channel (i.e. NBC), remove your M-card from the cablecard slot.
2. You'll see the TiVo screen pop up indicating that your CC has been removed.
3. Wait a few seconds and then put your CC back in Slot 1 and wait for the THD to detect it saying it's an M-card in Slot 1.
4. Physically unplug your TiVo from the back of the unit (or from the AC outlet, whichever is more convenient for you).
5. Wait about 20-30 seconds and then plug your TiVo back in.
6. After the THD goes through the several minute process of powering up and the CC is redetected (it will first show that it's an S-card in slot 1, but then will go to M-card and will reacquire channels - nothing needs to be done on Comcast's end, however), go to Live TV and all of your channels (digital and HD) should be there.

This process worked for someone else who had the exact problem that I did. Again, I can only verify that this process works in cases like mine where you initially only got analog and network HD channels (all other channels revealed a black screen).
mshkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #4349
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshkim View Post
1. With your TV and THD both on and tuned to an analog channel (i.e. NBC), remove your M-card from the cablecard slot.
2. You'll see the TiVo screen pop up indicating that your CC has been removed.
I would not recommend unplugging your cableCARDs with the power on since it "can" change the DATA ID field. If that field changes, you will lose the pairing with Comcast. It is perfectly safe to remove the cards with the power off as long as they go back in the same slot. I know some have suggested that removing the cards while powered up is no different from removing them powered off, but I asked a lead technician from comcast about this and he said not to do it. He said he has personally seen the DATA ID field change.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #4350
mshkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
I would not recommend unplugging your cableCARDs with the power on since it "can" change the DATA ID field. If that field changes, you will lose the pairing with Comcast. It is perfectly safe to remove the cards with the power off as long as they go back in the same slot. I know some have suggested that removing the cards while powered up is no different from removing them powered off, but I asked a lead technician from comcast about this and he said not to do it. He said he has personally seen the DATA ID field change.
This is an excellent point, and perhaps I was lucky that my DATA ID field didn't change. Amazingly enough, when I was on the phone with the Comcast CSR (one who actually sounded like she knew something about setting up TiVo's with CC's) before figuring out how to remedy the problem on my own with the help of this forum, she specifically instructed me to remove the CC with the THD powered ON. That being said, my first attempt after discovering that the CSR's suggestions didn't work either, involved turning the THD off, taking out the CC and reinserting it. Needless to say, that didn't work.
mshkim is offline   Reply With Quote