Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #4261
grapeape
Primate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_camden View Post
I finally, finally, finally talked with someone at Comcast who knows what the heck they were talking about. Lawrence in the Pittsburgh office, who has 4 cable cards at home (wow, imagine how much of a difference it makes if the tech actually uses the technology).

They are sending someone out again tomorrow (3rd visit). Lawrence gave me his local number and extension at Comcast and said he would be working when the tech arrived. He implored me to call him either while the tech was there or after he left if anything didn't go correctly.

Just a rehash on the problems I'm seeing:
After the first install, I could get all channels except HBO and Starz packages.
After the 2nd tech visit, I was only able to get about 20 channels (no real rhyme or reason to what packages are there and what aren't). If I reboot the Tivo, I am able to get everything for about 5-10 minutes. As soon as I enter the Tivo menu or after about 5-10 minutes, I lose access to everything but those 20 or so channels. If I go into Cable Card diagnostics, and test channels, only those 20 or so show up. Tivo told me last night that the channels weren't properly mapped to my cable cards. We did a conference call with Comcast, and the CCast lady was unable to make it work with the remap (she sent a init, hit, refresh to each card independently).

I'm just very pleased that I now have access to someone at Comcast who seems like he knows what he's talking about, seems committed to making a tech work that they are mandated by law to support (cable cards) and actually seems committed to making this work for me as a paying customer.
Pass on her phone number. Sounds like others could use it!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #4262
bmgoodman

What a mess!

After being told I could get two CableCards installed free, with no extra monthly charge, I finally had Comcast roll their truck early this week. Everything went smoothly, so much so that I was very surprised. So tonight, I decide to inquire about adding the "HD Package" I had see early this year, which was $5/mo. It turns out that the HD Package no longer exists, which is a disappointment. In any event, in the course of the conversation, I found out my cable bill had gone up over $23/mo since the "free" CCs were installed! The rep recommended I go back to my local office to discuss my "free" cards.

So, I drove to the office and found out that "Digital Classic" was added automatically to EACH CARD, meaning I had to pay $11.xx/mo PER CARD! Of course I was prepared to yank both cards, but the rep told me he could remove the "Digital Classic" package from both cards and return me to my "Limited Basic Plus Expanded Service" that I had originally. Of course, I got no apology for having had a substantial additional charge added to my bill!

So, in theory, I now get my same cable channels as before, plus correct mapping of the HD local channels at zero additional cost. Decent, but I just cannot believe they expect to charge the additional packages PER CARD. So, if I wanted "Digital Premium" (to get ANY extra HD channels beyond local), I wonder what that would cost me? Let's guess $18. That would still be $36/mo to get another 6 HD channels. What a deal. But at least the CableCards are free.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #4263
rickertk
Not quite new Member

Well, we're moving from one Comcast system to a house ~ 6 miles away on a different system. The install today was a complete failure - although he had 2 or 3 cablecards, he wasn't able to get anywhere with any of them. My last install went fine and took a while. I'm hoping that the guy who comes out tomorrow has a better idea what he's doing.

Keith
rickertk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:23 AM   #4264
qz3fwd

Have had 1 CC in my Sharp tv for 2 years, yesterday techs came out to install 4 cablecards in my 2 new S3's. Called today because I only get the clear hd channels and not the encrypted ones and took the time to check my billing. and the woman said it would cost me the same as before the 4 extra cards were installed. I was expecting 6.95 per card plus another 6.95 per card for additional outlet and a long excruciating battle with them. We'll see when I get my next bill though.

$0 per month for 4 additional cablecards!
qz3fwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #4265
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
So, I drove to the office and found out that "Digital Classic" was added automatically to EACH CARD, meaning I had to pay $11.xx/mo PER CARD! Of course I was prepared to yank both cards, but the rep told me he could remove the "Digital Classic" package from both cards and return me to my "Limited Basic Plus Expanded Service" that I had originally. Of course, I got no apology for having had a substantial additional charge added to my bill!

So, in theory, I now get my same cable channels as before, plus correct mapping of the HD local channels at zero additional cost. Decent, but I just cannot believe they expect to charge the additional packages PER CARD. So, if I wanted "Digital Premium" (to get ANY extra HD channels beyond local), I wonder what that would cost me? Let's guess $18. That would still be $36/mo to get another 6 HD channels. What a deal. But at least the CableCards are free.
Now Comcast tells me there is a $10/mo "Expanded HD" package that is per account, rather than per card. I was then told that I could upgrade my account to "digital classic" from "expanded basic" and my bill would go from $55.10 to $70.05, with no "per card" extra charge. So, I should be able to upgrade my account for $15/mo, but they instead charged me $12/card/month? Oh, yeah, I'd much rather pay $24/month for the 2 CCs rather than upgrade my account to the equivalent service level for $15/mo.

Bottom line, if you go with Comcast, "See what you've been missing! Extra hidden charges!" (TM)
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #4266
harwilli

So far, I am not able to get cable cards from Comcast to know what they want to charge. I ordered my new S3 and called Comcast about cable cards. I was told that I could get cable cards at the local office. I went to the office and was told that they had to do a service call to install. I scheduled an appointment and waited all day on November 6 for the tech to come. Interestingly, two Comcast trucks came to my house during the day and turned around in the drive way and left. Late in the day, I got a call from Comcast indicating they have no cable cards available for my area (Naples, FL) and could give me no real idea when they will be available, but they would call me. I talked to a Customer Service supervisor today who seems to think it has something to do with the fact that we were a former Time-Warner system that was acquired by Comcast about a year ago. She was going to talk to a tech supervisor and get back to me. So, I am still waiting. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
harwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #4267
bizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwilli View Post
So, I am still waiting. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
Write a letter to your local franchise board or PUC. CC the local paper.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #4268
The Weissman

Two-three times last week I called Comcast customer service and had them zap the multistream cablecard in my TivoHD. On the last attempt I got everything except the premium channels in HD. They rolled a truck and on Saturday, with the tech there, they zapped it again and everything was good...

...till today. Now my wife reports the channels stop at 23 and pick up again somewhere around 100, but no HD or premium stations. She lined up a service call for Friday. The guy on the phone said that a frayed wire could be the cause of this. These are new wires just installed in a transfer of service to my new home about a week ago. Did the tech fray a wire or is are they just handing me a line?

Either way, I am not a happy camper. I'll bet, come Friday, the tech shows up without a card in hand--or if he does, it'll be a singlestream card--and he'll be scratching his head a lot and making a whole bunch of excuses about how cablecards are (a) new, (b) new to him, and/or (c) not reliable.

What fun.

Steve
The Weissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #4269
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weissman View Post
Did the tech fray a wire or is are they just handing me a line?
Most of us would probably not be able to answer that question, but, based on most other people's experiences, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is most likely that the card is not paired correctly. Check out this TiVo CableCARD FAQ http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...1-d8cd0d5c0824 It has screen shots of what your cableCARDs Should and Should Not look like.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #4270
David Knowles

I was told by Comcast back in early October when I ordered two CC's for my Series 3 that the first one was free, the 2nd was $1.50/mo.

When I got my 1st bill, they were listed as $2.75 each. I called. The person I spoke to said she saw the problem and have corrected it.

The next day, one tuner had no channels above 23. I called them back and she said that the first person I spoke to removed one of the cards and she would add it back. She also told me that the first person that told me the $1.50 rate was wrong because I have a cable box on my account.

I thought it went so easily.

Why oh why can't they get it right? This is not a tiny company - you would think they would have the resources to give the right information out...
David Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #4271
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knowles View Post
I was told by Comcast back in early October when I ordered two CC's for my Series 3 that the first one was free, the 2nd was $1.50/mo.
When I got my 1st bill, they were listed as $2.75 each. .
Comcast CSR's don't seem to mention (maybe don't even know about?) A/O charges. Basically, in most cases, the cableCARDs are free. The price sheet I have says $1.50 per extra card in the same device. But, they are not charging me anything for 4 cableCARDs. What they ARE charging me for is A/O (Additional Outlet) charges. I am charged $2.75/mo for 3 out of four cards since I have premium services including HBO and NHL CI. And, the price list I have, does mention that EACH ADDITIONAL OUTLET AFTER THE FIRST IS $2.75/MO WITH PREMIUM SERVICES. That said, YMMV with Comcast depending on your location.

Oh, and if you keep your box, that is your FIRST OUTLET. So, the two cableCARDs are both charged $2.75. Which is why you should return the box and save the A/O and the box rental.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #4272
Newbs24

Have they gotten into this century and figured out a way to order PPV's while not having a cable box? I really get tired of having to watch MMA events with a bunch of clowns at the local Hooters or BW3's. Thanks if you can point me in a direction.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #4273
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbs24 View Post
Have they gotten into this century and figured out a way to order PPV's while not having a cable box? I really get tired of having to watch MMA events with a bunch of clowns at the local Hooters or BW3's. Thanks if you can point me in a direction.
Where I live, with Comcast, I just have to call it in. I have NHL CI and if I want any other PPV, I have to call.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #4274
dr_lha

OK, so does anyone have any good advice on how to get Comcast to get encrypted channels to work on my M-Card sporting Tivo HD. So far I had the guy round on Friday to install it (because "it involved technical stuff I couldn't do myself") and after he finished I got basic cable only (including basic HD). I pointed this out to him and he told me "oh it takes a couple of hours to come through". I knew this was Comcast double talk for "its broke and we can't be bothered to fix it", but I couldn't pursuade the guy to stay and fix it. Anyway last night I called and had the standard "OK does it work now" x5 call to a Comcast CSR, they were clearly trying various things, but not the *right thing*. In the end the CSR lady told me I should take the M-card back to my local office to exchange it. I can't wait to see the look on their faces when I do that!

I'm going to try calling Comcast 1 more time before I take the M-card in, and if anyone has any ideas of what "code words" to say to them to get the card to decode encrypted channels I'd be most grateful.
dr_lha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #4275
Barchy

Fort Wayne, IN - Good install - but definitely not by the book

Just had CableCards installed in my TiVo HD yesterday.

Appointment was a 1-5 slot. He called at 11:30 to see if it was OK to come a little early - could be there in 15-20.

Short story: 2 cards installed, working and done by 12:30. (About 35 mins total)

Long story: I'm in the middle of completing Guided Setup for the cable system when the doorbell rings at 11:20 - I'm thinking it's Comcast showing up early unannounced. It's actually the Verizon FIOS guy, looking to see if I want to add TV to the Internet and phone! Of course the Comcast guy called while I was talking to the Verizon guy. I sent the Verizon guy on his way, told him to come back later once he sees the Comcast truck gone. I figure I have him as an ace in the hole if the install goes bad. And of course, my guided setup is midstream, AND suddenly I've blitzed out my wireless network settings in my haste.

Comcast guy shows up, and he's a contractor. Got the "I've only done these once before. But I've got the number of a guy to help me through."
Doesn't want the instruction sheet. I'm frantically trying to enter the Network ID info, which I never get to finish as.....

He sticks a card in the left slot first, then the right, and then he realizes he didn't keep track of which card in which slot. Pulls out the left to ID it, and when he does, Card info 1 comes up. He copies this down, then inserts card 2, copies down the info once I hit the pairing screen button, then he goes out to the truck to call in the info. He comes back in - and I've got ESPN HD and HBO HD when I test. Then he goes out to look at the wiring outside. I continue with the Guided Setup.

He comes back in as all the GS connections are going on and we're talking. I'm telling him about the TiVo, and lots of other stuff, and he's telling me he's going to put me down for a free re-install of all the wiring, since it appears to have never been grounded to power.

GS finishes, I test Tuner 2, get the ESPN HD and HBO HD, he says "thanks, I almost forgot about testing the second tuner" and leaves about 35 minutes after he came.

I'm watching, switching tuners, tranferring a couple of recordings from my Series 2, and having a ball when the phone rings. It's the installer, asking if I'll be home this afternoon, since he's going to see if he can get permission to do the rewiring.

5 mins later he calls back, says he'll be back in 15 mins. Of course the bell rings and the Verizon guy is back! I send him away again - tell him to come back when the truck's gone again.

Installer comes back, and of course I'm without cable while he cuts things and reroutes the wiring, but he does a nice job, attaches the cable much more nicely to the outside of the house than it was before (some was actually on the ground next to the house - covered by ivy before we had that removed this summer). AND everything still works once he's done.

(I did wind up signing with the Verizon guy - but think I will cancel. Yes, it's cheaper - but I don't like having all my eggs in one basket. We've lost the FIOS line twice in a year and a half. If the internet's not working, I like to have the TV, and vice versa).

So a successful, even pleasant experience with Comcast Fort Wayne.
Barchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #4276
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwilli View Post
So far, I am not able to get cable cards from Comcast to know what they want to charge. I ordered my new S3 and called Comcast about cable cards. I was told that I could get cable cards at the local office. I went to the office and was told that they had to do a service call to install. I scheduled an appointment and waited all day on November 6 for the tech to come. Interestingly, two Comcast trucks came to my house during the day and turned around in the drive way and left. Late in the day, I got a call from Comcast indicating they have no cable cards available for my area (Naples, FL) and could give me no real idea when they will be available, but they would call me. I talked to a Customer Service supervisor today who seems to think it has something to do with the fact that we were a former Time-Warner system that was acquired by Comcast about a year ago. She was going to talk to a tech supervisor and get back to me. So, I am still waiting. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
I am also a former Time-Warner customer and I had no problems getting cable cards from Comcast so it can be done.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #4277
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post
OK, so does anyone have any good advice on how to get Comcast to get encrypted channels to work on my M-Card sporting Tivo HD. So far I had the guy round on Friday to install it (because "it involved technical stuff I couldn't do myself") and after he finished I got basic cable only (including basic HD). I pointed this out to him and he told me "oh it takes a couple of hours to come through". I knew this was Comcast double talk for "its broke and we can't be bothered to fix it", but I couldn't pursuade the guy to stay and fix it. Anyway last night I called and had the standard "OK does it work now" x5 call to a Comcast CSR, they were clearly trying various things, but not the *right thing*. In the end the CSR lady told me I should take the M-card back to my local office to exchange it. I can't wait to see the look on their faces when I do that!

I'm going to try calling Comcast 1 more time before I take the M-card in, and if anyone has any ideas of what "code words" to say to them to get the card to decode encrypted channels I'd be most grateful.
What do your CC diagnostic screens say?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #4278
old64mb

Semi interesting - around Detroit you may be able to use Digital Starter for the HD tier now.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../BIZ/711200341
old64mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #4279
Brad Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post
I'm going through the exact same thing right now.

I've just finished up day 2. Friday will be day 3.

After numerous calls I seemed to get a lady who as least understood some of the cableCard terms. She confirmed the numbers for me (SN, Host ID, Data #) and they were all OK.

I've read from other posts that sometimes going through guided setup again will sort things out. It's the one thing I haven't done, yet. I've rebooted (another thing I remember reading that sorted it all out).

This is a stupid pain. I'm at about 11 hours lost on this venture. If they can't get it sorted on Friday I may just give up and go back to broadcast basic and take the TiVo back. I'm on the edge about it, now. For me Dec 1st is the definite cut-off day. I'm not going to go past that on getting this to work (just a personal "I don't want to spend 6-weeks on this"-deadline).
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #4280
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop View Post
I'm not going to go past that on getting this to work (just a personal "I don't want to spend 6-weeks on this"-deadline).
Read the sticky cableCARD Installation FAQ at the top of this forum. Call the cableCARD TiVo hotline for a three way with Comcast. You have to be proactive. Just because they have the numbers right does NOT mean the numbers are entered in their DAC system correctly. There are TWO places which must be correct at Comcast.

Quote:
Below are the steps necessary for supporting CableCARD/Host and CCI in a DAC 2.80.9 lab system:
1. CableCARD module is installed into a Host
2. CableCARD/Host Pairing Information is displayed on TV and recorded
3. Lab personnel adds, initializes and authorizes CableCARD module as DCT2000 – One way in DAC
4. CableCARD/Host pairing information is entered into CPMS, validation message is generated
5. Validation message is manually transferred to DAC (via FTP, disk, etc)
6. Utilizing a DAC script, the validation message is sent to the appropriate settop via the OOB

Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #4281
nedeveritt

Tomorrow's the big day......hopefully

I live in Harford County, MD, and have been suffering with the SA8300 HD DVR for the past several months. Even more so because I had previously used a Series 2 TiVo for SD cable.

Well, the TiVo HD I ordered from Amazon yesterday was delivered today. I've been through the first GS, and am up to the latest version of TiVo S/W.

Here is where I start to get nervous.....Comcast is coming out tomorrow to install the cableCARDs. I was told they only had S-cards, but I'll ask again for an M-card tomorrow.

I have talked to 4 different CSRs, and have received 4 different versions of how my bill will be impacted. I only have TV service from Comcast, and my current bill runs about 72 dollars for basic HD and the DVR, no premium channels or packages. The rate I'm being quoted now, which was provided by the CSR who set up the visit for tomorrow, is 75 dollars.

Somehow, the math doesn't seem to add up. I was told the first card is free, and that the second card is 6 dollars. He also said something about my current service only being expanded basic, and that I would need to upgrade to full digital. Whatever that means. The DVR runs 12 per month, so I would have expected my bill to become (72 -12 (DVR) + 6 (2nd CC) = 66 Dollars.

At this point, I'm hoping the install goes smoothly, and I'll sort out the billing once it arrives.

I'll keep you all posted on how things go tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ned
nedeveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #4282
Brad Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
Read the sticky cableCARD Installation FAQ at the top of this forum. Call the cableCARD TiVo hotline for a three way with Comcast. You have to be proactive. Just because they have the numbers right does NOT mean the numbers are entered in their DAC system correctly. There are TWO places which must be correct at Comcast.
I've gone over the cableCARD installation FAQ.

I'll try the three-way-call with Comcast tomorrow.

This feels like: In order to watch cable TV on your Tivo you have to be able to engineer a rocket that'll go to the moon.

Really, I'm willing to go through these steps but your average joe would have (should have) given up long ago. This whole process is messed up. For that I blame Comcast.

Not lashing out at you, here. This is just tremendously frustrating. I appreciate the help.

Oh, and the people I deal with at Comcast range from, "I'll send a hit to it.." (no matter what you say) to vaguely knowing what I'm talking about. You can hear their confusion in their voice as they try to figure out how to make it work.

I'm blaming Comcast for that, too (not the employees). The whole trend of, "Script the CSRs," is dumb. Better to pay them a little more, train them on your product, let them think, make decisions and, yes, even a mistake, than just having people who are told, "read the script," on the other end of the phone. It would seem like the bean counters could get it through their heads that they're paying more, overall, to have their employees waste time on the phone than the would be to properly train them and allow them to think/make decisions/mistakes. An odd mistake every so often would be better than this.

Last edited by Brad Bishop : 11-20-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:17 AM   #4283
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
Well, my first bad experience with a Comcast installer...

I call for my appointment a week ago. Make special pains to make sure they mark it down as a two cablecard Tivo installation. Ask for a special request to bring extra cards.

Installer shows up with one cablecard and says it's not marked down as a Tivo install. Tells me the order was placed for one cablecard and there's nothing he can do and I have to call for another appointment. There's an uncomfortable silence as I consider if there's anything I can legally do to make his life miserable. Then he says that he can go to the warehouse to pick up another card and I can call customer service to get them to quickly change the work order. He bolts as I'm calling customer service.

I get through to customer service and they say that the work order was for a two cablecard Tivo installation and the the installer is an idiot. They also tell me that I should make sure he doesn't leave and to make him install the one card he does have. I give them the bad news that he's already bolted. The agent says to hang on and that she's going to call the dispatcher and get him to come back. He can install the one card and I can either pick up the second card at the walk-in center or have another truck roll for the second card.

After a long hold she says that the dispatcher claims that the tech is already at his other job but will be back right after. I should call back in an hour to check to make sure that everything is still ok.

I call in a few more times until 10pm when they say that I should give up and reschedule an appointment - the soonest they have for a cablecard install is a week from today. Sigh. Then they drop the bomb that I can just go down to the walk-in center and pick up two cablecards and do the install myself if they have them. I'm going to head down tomorrow morning but I'm not optimistic about their having any cards.

The phone agents were all very nice but I've just got to somehow figure out a way to stop doing business with these people. I don't understand why they make it so difficult to buy over $2000 worth of services per year. It's crazy.
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #4284
pl1

Quote:
Really, I'm willing to go through these steps but your average joe would have (should have) given up long ago. This whole process is messed up. For that I blame Comcast.
I totally 100% agree with you. I had to call OVER & OVER again in order to get someone who knew what I was talking about. I had to keep repeating myself as well. And like you said, they kept hitting the cards. FINALLY, when I spoke with a TECH SUPERVISOR, he told me one of the cards was not in the DAC system. The CSR's don't know about it. All they know is that the hit does not respond. (Although, being a one-way device, I'm confused as to how they would even know that.) Anyway, just BUST THEIR BALLS.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #4285
Merciful Fayte
Tivo N00b

So, I am brand new around here and I just wanted to say hello and let you know about my experience with my new S3.

I actually ordered two TIvo boxes from Costco, one S3 and one TivoHD for the bedroom, but the S3 is the only one I have setup so far. I went to my local Comcast facility to drop off one of my HD STBs and to pick up two M Cards to support my new Tivos. I first did the guided setup for the Tivo and activated the Tivo service, then I did the cableCARD thing, just to make sure the core services were working fine, which they were. I then plugged in my first M-Card, and it brought up the pairing screen and told me to call Comcast, which I did. I have to say that the person that helped me seemed to know what she was doing and she asked for the information on the screen for the card. After telling her the info, and a brief 2 minute pause, the Tivo informed me that I needed to repeat the guided setup to configure all of the channels. I hung up with Comcast and performed the setup as requested. After the CARD finally was finished downloading all the necessary info, I was able to view and record all the channels that I was paying for. Everything was going well until I realized that I was only able to record and watch one channel at a time, even though I had a MULTI stream card inserted. The diagnostics screen on the Tivo said that the card was an S card. After reading these forums, I see that the S3 does not support the M-cards in MULTI stream mode, only SINGLE stream mode. Whats up with that?? Apparently the older Tivo HD supports M cards, why not the newer version? Seems strange to me. Well, luckily had another M card on hand (the one I was going to activate in my Tivo HD) so I plugged it in to the S3, called Comcast back and they were able to activate that one without a hitch also. Maybe they are getting good at these things?

Now, I just need to get one more M card and activate my Tivo HD and I should be one happy camper. Other than the fact that I seemingly needlessly have to rent 3 cable cards instead of just 2.

Any word on when or if the S3 will support the M card in Multi mode?
Merciful Fayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #4286
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciful Fayte View Post
Other than the fact that I seemingly needlessly have to rent 3 cable cards instead of just 2.
You should get them all free. They will charge you an A/O (Additional Outlet) for every cableCARD over the first one "if" you have premium services. That's how it is supposed to work, but they might just charge everyone for A/O charges no matter what. It "should" be around $2.75/mo for each A/O.
Quote:
Those in the know (TIVOJERRY or TIVOPONY, I can't remember which) did not paint a very pretty picture on that. They had a frown face when talking about ever having multiple tuner support with the M-Card in the Series 3. One can always hope, but don't hold your breathe.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #4287
gilbreen

Quote:
After reading these forums, I see that the S3 does not support the M-cards in MULTI stream mode, only SINGLE stream mode. Whats up with that?? Apparently the older Tivo HD supports M cards, why not the newer version? Seems strange to me.

The S3 is the older Tivo model and the Tivo HD is the newer model. Can't say whether the S3 will pick up M Card support in Multi mode - I only have Tivo HDs each with one M Card.
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #4288
Brad Bishop

Quote:
So, I am brand new around here and I just wanted to say hello and let you know about my experience with my new S3.

I actually ordered two TIvo boxes from Costco, one S3 and one TivoHD for the bedroom, but the S3 is the only one I have setup so far. I went to my local Comcast facility to drop off one of my HD STBs and to pick up two M Cards to support my new Tivos. I first did the guided setup for the Tivo and activated the Tivo service, then I did the cableCARD thing, just to make sure the core services were working fine, which they were. I then plugged in my first M-Card, and it brought up the pairing screen and told me to call Comcast, which I did. I have to say that the person that helped me seemed to know what she was doing and she asked for the information on the screen for the card. After telling her the info, and a brief 2 minute pause, the Tivo informed me that I needed to repeat the guided setup to configure all of the channels. I hung up with Comcast and performed the setup as requested. After the CARD finally was finished downloading all the necessary info, I was able to view and record all the channels that I was paying for. Everything was going well until I realized that I was only able to record and watch one channel at a time, even though I had a MULTI stream card inserted. The diagnostics screen on the Tivo said that the card was an S card. After reading these forums, I see that the S3 does not support the M-cards in MULTI stream mode, only SINGLE stream mode. Whats up with that?? Apparently the older Tivo HD supports M cards, why not the newer version? Seems strange to me. Well, luckily had another M card on hand (the one I was going to activate in my Tivo HD) so I plugged it in to the S3, called Comcast back and they were able to activate that one without a hitch also. Maybe they are getting good at these things?
Except for your realization that you needed two cards for your S3, your install went exactly how it was supposed to go.

For me, I can't pick up cableCards from my local office. They have to send a 'specialist' out. I think, ultimately, that's probably the thing that grates against me the most. Everytime you get get a card, or even a cable box, for that matter, my local (Atlanta) Comcast insists on sending a specialist out. Seems to me that most of us can plug in a cablebox now and, if we can't, that's when we should be given the option of having someone to come out and do it. It'd be like having to have a 'specialist' telephone installation guy come out with your phone (this is how it used to be - you'd have to call the phone company so you could rent a phone from them and they'd come out and the specialist would plug it in for you).

So, back to the cable company, you end up having to take 3-hour blocks out of your life to wait around for someone to plug something in for you and, when it doesn't work the 'specialist' resolution is to hit the box over and over again and to send another specialist back out.

Somehow, DirecTV was able to get his all working and even have homeowners install their own satellite dishes 15 years ago.

As you can probably tell, I'm still lacking service and am very aggravated with this whole process. I've said it before, I don't blame the guy coming out or even the person on the phone. They're just doing what they've been told to do. I blame the higher-ups in the companies for making this so stupidly painful in the name of squeezing extra money out of me. It's not like I'm getting better service by paying for that service call, I'm just having my pocket picked for something that they can't seem to accomplish.

Dare I use the angry smiley? I dare:
Old 11-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #4289
nedeveritt

Success in Harford County, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedeveritt View Post
I live in Harford County, MD, and have been suffering with the SA8300 HD DVR for the past several months. Even more so because I had previously used a Series 2 TiVo for SD cable.

Well, the TiVo HD I ordered from Amazon yesterday was delivered today. I've been through the first GS, and am up to the latest version of TiVo S/W.

Here is where I start to get nervous.....Comcast is coming out tomorrow to install the cableCARDs. I was told they only had S-cards, but I'll ask again for an M-card tomorrow.

I'll keep you all posted on how things go tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ned
Short Version: My TiVo HD is up and running with the 2 S-cards.

Long Version: Comcast tech arrived at 8am with a multistream card. He told me this was his first cable card install, so I knew right then it was going to be a long day. He was unable to get the M-card paired and "hit". So about 9am he left to go back to the warehouse to get some s-cards. He returned about 10am with a handful of s-cards. He spent the next 2 hours on the phone with the head-end trying to them going. They had all the necessary information, but could not get it right. They assured him they could "finish it up" on their end, and directed him to take my old SA8300 and head on to his next appointment. An hour passed, and nothing improved. So I called back to discover they were still having issues. At first, I was told the tech could not return today, but after some complaining, I was promised he would return in the next hour. He did, armed with more S-cards. This time, I called the TiVo hotline while the tech dealt with the head-end. The TiVo rep was extremely helpful, suggesting we reboot the TiVo after the first card was not pairing correctly. After doing this, we got card 1 going, encrypted channels and all. We had to re-boot again to get card 2 paired correctly. It finally worked as well. I was his first appointment, and he ended up leaving for good around 3pm.

I guess this is par for the course. I can't imagine how this would have played out had I not read up on the issues to expect and the persistence required to achieve success.

At the end of the day, I'm glad it all worked out. The next battle will be to get the billing straightened out, still not sure what to expect there.

Thanks,
Ned

Last edited by nedeveritt : 11-30-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Correct misspelling in title
nedeveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #4290
Gregor

Quote:
Except for your realization that you needed two cards for your S3, your install went exactly how it was supposed to go.

For me, I can't pick up cableCards from my local office. They have to send a 'specialist' out. I think, ultimately, that's probably the thing that grates against me the most. Everytime you get get a card, or even a cable box, for that matter, my local (Atlanta) Comcast insists on sending a specialist out. Seems to me that most of us can plug in a cablebox now and, if we can't, that's when we should be given the option of having someone to come out and do it. It'd be like having to have a 'specialist' telephone installation guy come out with your phone (this is how it used to be - you'd have to call the phone company so you could rent a phone from them and they'd come out and the specialist would plug it in for you).

So, back to the cable company, you end up having to take 3-hour blocks out of your life to wait around for someone to plug something in for you and, when it doesn't work the 'specialist' resolution is to hit the box over and over again and to send another specialist back out.

Somehow, DirecTV was able to get his all working and even have homeowners install their own satellite dishes 15 years ago.

As you can probably tell, I'm still lacking service and am very aggravated with this whole process. I've said it before, I don't blame the guy coming out or even the person on the phone. They're just doing what they've been told to do. I blame the higher-ups in the companies for making this so stupidly painful in the name of squeezing extra money out of me. It's not like I'm getting better service by paying for that service call, I'm just having my pocket picked for something that they can't seem to accomplish.

Dare I use the angry smiley? I dare:
I feel your pain. I have had some awful experiences with Comcast and with getting my last S3, if I didn't know the process of pairing up the cards, I would have sent the box back.

FWIW, I understand that the cable cards are extremely touchy about signal levels, and in many areas the cable infrastructure just isn't up to par for the cards.

I think the cable cards are overengineered and unnecessarily complex. It could have been much more streamlined than it is, and a web interface for customers into the conditional access systems would save both time and frustration.

One of my neighbors just got FIOS and added a Tivo HD and had no problems installing it. I'm seriously considering changing over after the holidays.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote