TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #1291
Rottluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
The 3-LNB dish is all you'll need. "Local channels in HD" is just ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC. No PBS, CW, MTN or anything else in HD.

But at 25 miles from NYC, you'd probably do rather well with an antenna, too... even an indoor one.
Just out of curiousity, how do you tell if you have a 3LNB dish or a ??????

I just got a smokin deal on a brand new HR10-250 and I am curious if I can hook it up & make it work before I get my HD TV (currently on order)
Rottluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #1292
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottluver
Just out of curiousity, how do you tell if you have a 3LNB dish or a ??????

I just got a smokin deal on a brand new HR10-250 and I am curious if I can hook it up & make it work before I get my HD TV (currently on order)
Just look at the dish. If it's got 3 separate "cones" on the end of the arm pointed at the dish, it's the 3-LNB dish.

No matter what, you can certainly hook up your HR10-250 to whatever dish you have now. You just won't receive some of the HD channels if you only have a single LNB dish until such time as you replace the dish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #1293
Rottluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Just look at the dish. If it's got 3 separate "cones" on the end of the arm pointed at the dish, it's the 3-LNB dish.

No matter what, you can certainly hook up your HR10-250 to whatever dish you have now. You just won't receive some of the HD channels if you only have a single LNB dish until such time as you replace the dish.
Thanks.
Rottluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #1294
yoneltx

HR20 and HD Local channels

I had a couple of questions about your equipment. I have a HR10-250 (which I really like - avoiding the term LOVE) and have it connected to an OTA antenna. I get great reception from local network HD channels. I am about to get a HR20-700 and want to know if I will be able to get HD local channels the same way my HR10 has. Also, and I don't know if you would know this but it is worth the try, I have Vonage and want to find out how compatible it is to hook it to the HR20, any ideas, suggestions, comments?

Sincerely,

Yonel
yoneltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #1295
wpafan

HR20 OTA tuners

you wont be able to use an off air antenna with the HR20 yet. the ATSC tuners are not active.. theres supposed to be a software upgrade later this year to activate them.
wpafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #1296
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpafan
you wont be able to use an off air antenna with the HR20 yet. the ATSC tuners are not active.. theres supposed to be a software upgrade later this year to activate them.
That happened in the beginning of December 2006.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #1297
hkprakash7

How would it be possible to measure the cross-polarization level for the DirecTV signals??? DirecTV claims that the cross-polarization level is -30 dB. Using a spectrum analyzer would it be possible to measure the level?
hkprakash7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #1298
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkprakash7
How would it be possible to measure the cross-polarization level for the DirecTV signals??? DirecTV claims that the cross-polarization level is -30 dB. Using a spectrum analyzer would it be possible to measure the level?
Why would this be of any importance to you relative to receiving DirecTV? It's not something you can control and is related to the analog signal before demodulating the digital signal and decoding the content.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #1299
hkprakash7

well Its a part of my project. Hence I'm doing it!!! I know that its not of something which we can control. I've been asked to verify it.
hkprakash7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #1300
dealsmith

Slingbox for remote viewing

Sorry to be a new forum member and not clear as to where to ask a question. This seems close but if I am off track, let me know. I also admit to being "techno-limited"

I have DTV with the HR10-250 at my home in California in order to have HDTV with TIVO. I have a remote vacation home where I used to be able to receive DTV signals but not now. DTVs relatively new satellite and focusing technology has eliminated all but a handful of channels. I have a Series 2 Tivo at the vacation home and it is connected to the internet. I know it will not handle HD but that is not a big problem. I am looking for guidance as to whether I could somehow use a Slingbox in California, then download its content to the Tivo at the vacation home. I have cable modem service at home and dsl at the vacation home. I know I could use a PC at the vacation home to watch the slingbox content but the idea of a 17" screen is not that exciting.

Any help someone can offer will be appreciated.
dealsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #1301
bobinalaska

Hello Listers,
I would like to ADD an HR20-700 with my hr10_250 to the same TV. Can I split the sat signal coming in or do need to run an extra set of inputs from the switch?
Thanks for all your help.
Bob
bobinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #1302
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinalaska
Hello Listers,
I would like to ADD an HR20-700 with my hr10_250 to the same TV. Can I split the sat signal coming in or do need to run an extra set of inputs from the switch?
Thanks for all your help.
Bob
You need to run another set of cables from the multiswitch.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #1303
bobinalaska

I maxed out on the 10 way is there a way to split the satellite inputs to allow for another switch?
bobinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:01 PM   #1304
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinalaska
I maxed out on the 10 way is there a way to split the satellite inputs to allow for another switch?
What do you mean 10 way? Do you have a multiswitch with 10 outputs?

Anyway you can take 4 of the outputs from a multiswitch and input it into another multiswitch to get more outputs. This assumes your multiswitches are cascadable. You might want to detail your installation so we can help you.
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #1305
rld1015

Would you guys see if I have this right for a change in my installation?

Currently I have a single LNB dish with one cable coming in at the back corner of my house. Also have a cable run from here for external antenna. This cable is not being used now. Both cables come from the back corner of the house to a distribution point in the attic just above the garage. From the distribution point I have I two cables run to each room, originally intended for 1 OTA and 1 sat/dvr feed. Currently have RS xx120 OTA antenna in the attic. Going to our main TV (on an inside wall) I use 1 cable for the attic antenna and 1 cable for the feed from the single LNB dish going to just 1 input of my 10-250, losing the ability to record two shows at once. I do not get locals from Direct. OTA analog signal are decent considering we are 13 and 36 miles (and slight difference in direction) from the transmitter, but I cannot turn the antenna to get digital from all stations. If I turn to get good digital from one I lose the other. If I try to compromise, I get drop outs from both directions. Have tried an amplifier, but no help. I suspect multipath issues but I can't move the antenna around in the attic enough to help.

What I think I want to do is throw in the towell on the local Digital and get local from Direct as well the new HD channels and be able to record two programs at once.

Am I correct that I would need four cables from the entry point to my distribution point and put the multiswitch at that location? And then use the two existing cables to each TV/DVR? If I wanted OTA then I would need to fish a third cable to each TV. Running 4 cables from the old entry point or a new entry point to my distribution point would be a real pain but doable. I think this would be easier than running new cables from the entry point to each room. The main tv is on an inside wall and fishing a new cable there would be more that a real pain but possible I guess. Not sure I would still need OTA if I get the locals from Direct.

Sorry this was so long. Any help would be appreciated.
rld1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #1306
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

You're on the right track, but be careful what kind of cable is already in place for your OTA...it may be RG59 which is not acceptable for satellite. It has to be at least RG6. They look almost the same and you may have to carefully examine the printing on the cable to identify.

Don't try to assume away the difference...I discovered that using a 3' length of RG59 between the wall and the TiVo (RG6 for the rest of the run) made the difference between receiving Bravo and other stations and not receiving them. Almost made the difference in our marriage!

Also, you don't need as many cables. Get 5 X 8 switch which has inputs for the four satellite cables and one OTA. Then run two cables to each TV. The OTA gets distributed along with the satellite signal. At each TV you use a diplexer (NOT a splitter!) on one of the lines to separate the OTA from satellite signals and run cables to the two appropriate inputs on your TiVo.

Chebeague Island, Maine
There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.

Last edited by PortlandPaw : 09-18-2007 at 04:24 PM.
PortlandPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #1307
rld1015

Thanks !
All cable is RG 6. I put it in myself back before I had heard of multiple cables being required from the dish. I thought I was doing good at the time by running two cables from the entry point to the distribution point and two cables from distribution point to each tv location. Boy was I wrong!
I will be getting a 5 LNB dish I guess. Will Direct run the 4 cables in the attic to the distribution point for the multiswitch or will I have to do that? Also will the multiswitch be ok in the attic? It gets pretty hot up there. Sounds like if I use the diplexers as you mention I will be ok with the 2 existing cables to each tv.
Thanks a lot for the help !!!!
rld1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #1308
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind

From the first post in this thread:

Quote:
You can also use the new 5LNB Ka/Ku 'superdish' from DirecTV with the HR10-250 HD TiVo, but you will not be able to record any high definition channels which are in MPEG-4 format (specifically local channels and eventually the entire lineup of HDTV channels on DirecTV).
Does this mean that you can view the new mpeg-4 channels ? If yes, then this seems to contradict another statement in the same post:

Quote:
DirecTV TiVos and DirecTV HD TiVos will continue to function for an indefinite period but DirecTV HD TiVos will not be able to receive the HDTV programming DirecTV intends to roll out through 2006 and 2007, specifically local channels over satellite
So, what's the true status please ?
Tivo_60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #1309
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo_60 View Post
From the first post in this thread:

Does this mean that you can view the new mpeg-4 channels ? If yes, then this seems to contradict another statement in the same post:

So, what's the true status please ?
no mpeg4 can be seen in any way whatsoever on the HDtivo.

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #1310
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
no mpeg4 can be seen in any way whatsoever on the HDtivo.
I had a feeling that would be the answer. So why are people buying the HR10-250's on Ebay, at any price?. Hardly seems worth it to receive only 10-15 HD channels now that 75, and counting, are available.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #1311
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I had a feeling that would be the answer. So why are people buying the HR10-250's on Ebay, at any price?. Hardly seems worth it to receive only 10-15 HD channels now that 75, and counting, are available.
For one, many people view most content from over-the-air channels, especially the major networks, and that's not going away no matter what DirecTV shuffles around on their satellites.

While it might be necessary to have an HR20 or HR21 for some channels, they can certainly supplement rather than replace HR10's.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #1312
newsposter
Poster of News

personally i use OTA a lot and it's well worth it for 4 tuners on my 2 units. Then i use HR20 for all the new HD exclusively. Plus it fits a heck of a lot of SD on it. I never even had an HD pack until i got my hr20 last month. Didnt miss the mpeg2 HD stuff at all from satellite.

!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #1313
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind

Ok, thanks to both of you. I have been on the fence now that Verizon Fios cables have been on our street since July, but not yet activated.
I've been looking for a short terrm solution for hd content (I do have OTA) without a commitment and or lease obligation and was considering the low investment HR10-250 alternative. May do it now it spite of the limited ch availability.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #1314
newsposter
Poster of News

well 2 yr commit is not a short term solution with HDtivo. you cant get out of that.

!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #1315
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Check out my sig for a high level comparison between the HR10 and the HR2x. It also has DISH ViP 622 and 722 in there as well. Hope it's helpful.

(1) HR20-700 wired
(3) HR20-700 wireless
(1) HR21-700 wireless with ATSC add-on AM21
Compare the HR10-250, HR20/21, and the VIP 622/722
tfederov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #1316
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind

Quote:
well 2 yr commit is not a short term solution with HDtivo. you cant get out of that.
How does activating a used/owned receiver add a commitment to an existing 4yr account ?

tfederov:yes, that comparison is very helpful. The one thing I've heard, but can't confirm, is that the 20 can only pause (90 min) on one tuner. Is that true?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #1317
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
How does activating a used/owned receiver add a commitment to an existing 4yr account ?

I'm pretty sure activation of any Advanced receiver adds 2 years starting today. In other words, restarts the clock on any other commitments you have. Call to be sure.

!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #1318
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind

Quote:
I'm pretty sure activation of any Advanced receiver adds 2 years starting today. In other words, restarts the clock on any other commitments you have. Call to be sure.
I called and there is no additional commitment in activating a receiver as described.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #1319
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
I called and there is no additional commitment in activating a receiver as described.

did i read you correctly that you want to buy an HDtivo off ebay then activate it? If so, then i stand by my 1st answer that there is a commitment for 2 years. If not, then retract my statement

Id email directv and ask them so you have this in print. I'd hate to see you screwed by an uninformed CSR.

!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #1320
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
did i read you correctly that you want to buy an HDtivo off ebay then activate it? If so, then i stand by my 1st answer that there is a commitment for 2 years. If not, then retract my statement
They will let you get away with no commitment extension when activating an owned HR10-250.