TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #31
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Tivo has a terrific page in their support section, with plenty of pictures and troubleshooting tips:

Tivo support - Triubleshooting CableCARD activation and channel issues
UPDATED

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...1-d8cd0d5c0824
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #32
mpmclaugh33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
The key is for the CableCARDs to be in front of the modem. I'd planned to add that to the FAQ, but haven't gotten to it yet.
This is definitely a key piece of info. I had a cablecard install this past Saturday. It took about 2 hrs. Ultimately the issue was the device order. Once they got the cablecard in there first everything went smooth.

My installer was good. He didn't know a ton about cablecards but he was pleased to learn new stuff. He didn't know that if you used a multi stream card that you only need one card. I gave him the Tivo cablecard install sheet that came with my TivoHD so he could have it for future reference.
mpmclaugh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #33
oklapoema

cable card switch

I just got a replacement S3 Tivo and I am wondering if I can switch out the cable cards myself. My old S3 works fine other than one of the standard def tuners keeps on going black and white. Any suggestions on if switching the cable cards myself is a good idea. I would hate to have to call suddenlink and pay another fee for cable card install, when it is the same cards going in the same type of device.
oklapoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #34
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
2. Do I need one CableCARD or two?
<snip>
Currently, the software in the original Series 3 box does not support the multistream capabilities of the MCard, so you will need two CableCARDs, either SCard or MCard, to have full support.
<snip>
Just to be absolutely clear, you can even mix the cards. An S3 will work with 2 SCards, 2 MCards or one of each. It doesn't change the fact that at this time MCards still only feed one stream in an S3.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #35
benh57

Just picked up 2 cc's for my new TivoHD from time warner. Called them for pairing and they had no clue how to do that. So they are sending a tech out. She didn't think it was allowed for a customer to pair them themselves.

Maybe i should just call back till i get someone who knows?
benh57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:23 AM   #36
kgcore

Tivo HD Cable Card Activation on Comcast

To all,

I just wanted to provide a blow by blow on how I got Tivo working on Comcast. I hope it helps someone else not spend the 8 hours I did.

I will bullet it by action:
- I hooked up my New Tivo HD.
- I put it on my network: No problem, Tivo HD has an ethernet port.
- I put my M-Series Tivo card (only needs 1) in my Tivo I got from Comcast.
- Started the CableCard installation process.
- Went all the way to the end.
- Called comcast and gave them the two IDs Tivo displayed in the grey commodore 65 font (The host ID and Data ... found on the "CableCard Pairing menu")
- Clicked Live TV ( It sat on the dreaded "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information" screen for like 10 to 15 minutes...)
- It eventually failed and gave an error.
- I then saw that I had neglected to hook my Tivo up to cable. (The internet was working but the splitter wasn't plugged in ... I'm an idiot )
- Because of this I think I had to jump through additional hoops to get it to work.
- I plugged cable in and it still didn't work.
- After more blog reading I came up with a new strategy. A blog said that you may need to update the Tivo software to use the new M-Cards. I think this was more for the series 3 rather than the Tivo HD but was willing to give it a try.
- I re-connected to Tivo mother ship (because the faq says that tivo does not download any updates to its core system until the second time you connect ... )
- Tivo rebooted and then sat on the "updating software ... this could take more than an hour " screen for like 45 minutes.
- After it .... finally ... came back, I clicked on the "watch live tv" and still no luck ... the endless "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information" came on again.
- After more blog reading I called Comcast again.
- I told them my plight and they wanted to send someone back out. Poor comcast reps doing Tivo support ... you can tell they absolutely hate it and their approach is to bill their own company another 200 - 500 bucks by rolling a truck for no good reason.
- Hung up ... Now have a saturday appointment for 10:00.
- Back to the blogs
- Found out about some cool codes that can actually tell you a lot on the tivo screen.
- Go to (aprox) settings->Cable Cards-> Cable Card Menu->Network Setup
- There is another commodore 64 menu that shows oob count. Go in and get the count then leave and go back in and get the count again. It should be going up. It was.
- This is good news. It means that the card is communicating to the mother ship.
- Found a blog that said you should call comcast and get them to reset it.
- I called them again "number 3" and the nice lady wanted to roll another truck.
- I asked her that I already had a service scheduled but wanted to try one more reset. She said that this had already been done twice. I said humor me and do it one more time.
- I was in the "Conditional Access Screen" and saw the "Val:" change to "V 0x03" I had read that this was another good sign.
- Back to "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information". I asked the comcast lady how long this would take and she said 45 minutes. I hung up. (Just think what this does to their call time metrics.. You know there are plenty of people that just want them to wait......)
- I hung up rather than torture her more and hit the Tivo button to bag out of the screen and went back to the settings->Cable Cards-> Cable Card Menu->Diagnostics and saw "Program Lock: No" curses foiled again.
- Back to the blogs then looked back up at the screen and saw "Program Lock: Yes"
- It must have been doing something. Could it not be ..... Wait Wait
- Went back to "Watch Live TV"
- No Acquiring Channel Information screen .. But a blank grey one
- Waited and behold .... Glorious TIVO in glorious HD.....

My Takeways
- Make sure you have the tivo connected to the cable when you do an initial set up.
- If that dosn't work connect to Tivo twice to make sure it gets the most current software load.
- Look at the CableCard diagnostics screen to make sure Tivo is communicating to Comcast
- After all that ... make sure Comcast sends you an activation signal. (Previous ones they have sent may not have worked).
- I don't want to be a comcast customer support person the day after christmas.

I think something is good on Discovery HD.....I think I will go watch it.

I hope this helps someone else.
Thanks,
Kent
kgcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:18 AM   #37
xena

Pasadena having problems....got charter sa cards inserted today by rep. followed instructions...shows as auth. received and ready, however do not get many channels 2, or 500 or some HD as well - dumbfounded....please tell me what to do, charter coming in the am to insert mcard (i hope)...funny they say they have only one m card at irwindale to bring....
xena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 AM   #38
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Just to be absolutely clear, you can even mix the cards. An S3 will work with 2 SCards, 2 MCards or one of each. It doesn't change the fact that at this time MCards still only feed one stream in an S3.
I'll make the clarification. I have a number of updates I hope to get done shortly.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #39
mikeylikesit40

Woohoo!!! I finally got thru to Comcast billing

I called the local number for Chamersburg, PA.

This was my third call over the last year. First two were to the 800 number.

I spoke with a person (Melissa) who initially spouted out the exact billing I should be recieving. I have Digital Classic and HDTV (obviously no box from them).

According to their billing schema, first cable card is free for an outlet, second card is $1.91. HDTV, they say is $5.00 per outlet. hmmm, I never saw that listed anywhere.

So, I was being charged $10.00/month for the last year.

She agreed it was wrong but wanted to check with a supervisor. Supervisor said it was correct... $10.00. $5.00 per hdtv access to each card.

She said she was sorry and I asked to talk to the supervisor.

I explained that I have only one outlet. I directed him to the cablecard billing schema of 1st free, 2nd $1.91.

I then explained that I was being charged $10.00 for an equipment rental and I have no other equipment than the 2 cablecards.

He said it was for HDTV to each card ($5.00 each). I asked where I could find that charge explained.

He had no answer.

I asked him to read through the schema to me and tell me where each charge on my bill comes from. Of course, at this point I won.

He took it off my bill, credited me $110 for the last 11 months.

Here is the kicker, for my trouble, he didn't put the $1.91 back on my bill. He also dropped the facade of the $5.00 for HDTV with no equipment.

So, I was expecting at most half the money credited and at worst them agreeing that it was one outlet with 2 cards and HDTV ($1.91 + $5.00 mystery HDTV charge). Instead they made me a happy happy man!
mikeylikesit40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #40
mikeylikesit40

PS. Just in case it helps others. I forgot to mention a part of the conversation.

Look at their Basic Cable service lineup. It includes HDTV local channels. Read the fine print.... To recieve HDTV, you may need a TV or Converter that can interpret HD signals.

So, for $21.95 a month, you could get all your local TV and a few shopping networks plus all your local TV in High Def.

Now, if you need a converter box, they will rent you one for $9.95/month. If you don't need it then fine. No Charge. That is an equipment rental.

Hmmm... You will need a couple of Cable Cards for your Tivo though. That will cost you $1.91/month.

The argument that HDTV costs $5.00 per month is something they made up. Look at all the package channel line ups. It's included. You just need equipment to tune it.

Anyone paying more than $1.91/month for their Comcast cablecards OR paying extra for HDTV needs to contact Comcast and get their money back.

May I also suggest being polite about it. I even explained to the Supervisor that although it's been a year and three phone calls, I'm not frustrated. I realize that HDTV, TIVO's and CableCards are new to everyone and it will take some time to get it all sorted out.

He thanked me for my patience.
mikeylikesit40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #41
jlb
NCC-1701-D

It's worse than that. I was at Best Buy and I overheard a MANAGER tell a woman buying an HDTV for her husband that she would need some form of cable box to be able to receive HD. Granted, it is possible it was an LCD without a ATSC/QAM tuner built in (how many still exist anyway), but there was no noticable knowledge that if she chose the right TV, she could get HD (local) for free.

I am very excited to be getting a Vizio LCD come holiday time. I only pay $10/mon to Comcast for my "lifeline" service. I'll only need to add $2.50/mo for cablecards. Now, if I am lucky and my local office has M cards, then it would be free (the first card is free followed by $2.50).

Can't wait to watch and record (if TiVoHD is purchased by then) the Superbowl in HD!!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #42
don5438

Comcast Cablecards

Am I right that with a Series 3 HDTV Tivo, I need 2 cards, whether multi or single, to get the TIVO to work properly? Comcast coming on Tuesday and I want to be sure they bring all that they need.

Thanks
don5438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #43
TheBar1
Long Time Lurker

You are right, don5438, Of the newer TiVo models, only the TiVO HD can use one multi-stream cablecard for dual tuner service.

Good luck!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sony SAT-60 DirecTiVo [Est. 4/2001] (RIP 5/11/2004)
Philips DSR-708 DirecTiVo[Est. 5/2004] (RIP 8/31/07)
TiVo HD [Est. 2/2008]
TheBar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #44
sjn4138

One or two cable cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBar1 View Post
You are right, don5438, Of the newer TiVo models, only the TiVO HD can use one multi-stream cablecard for dual tuner service.

Good luck!
Just checking: if I were to put just one Cable Card into a Series 3, would it be able to record digital/HD on one tuner and just basic on the other? Or would I only have one functioning tuner, period? I've actually got two Series 3 boxes, and was hoping to get by with just two cards.....

Thanks
sjn4138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #45
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjn4138 View Post
Just checking: if I were to put just one Cable Card into a Series 3, would it be able to record digital/HD on one tuner and just basic on the other? Or would I only have one functioning tuner, period? I've actually got two Series 3 boxes, and was hoping to get by with just two cards.....
One functioning tuner period. (People have gotten the TiVo into states where it is still using both tuners with only one cablecard, but it means lots of missed recordings as the scheduler tries to use the non-cablecard tuner for a cable HD show).
Old 12-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #46
cwise
Should of Never Left

I am coming back to TIVO after 3 years of dealing with Comcast DVR. I got confused about one thing during my research. When you mention the new Series 3 HD TiVo, that only needs one mutlistream cablecard, you are talking about the $299 one that TiVo is selling? The only series 3 that has to have 2 cards (no matter if single or multi) is the more expensive one?

I think my confusion has come for me skim reading the forum. I went to Best Buy thinking that the Series 3 needed 2 cards while the cheaper box TiVo HD box only needed 1 m-card because it was a Series 2 box. Imagined my confusion when I found out that both boxes are Series 3. So model # TCD652160 only needs one m-card.
cwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #47
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwise View Post
I am coming back to TIVO after 3 years of dealing with Comcast DVR. I got confused about one thing during my research. When you mention the new Series 3 HD TiVo, that only needs one mutlistream cablecard, you are talking about the $299 one that TiVo is selling? The only series 3 that has to have 2 cards (no matter if single or multi) is the more expensive one?
Correct. The TiVO HD for $299 only requires one Multi-tuner card but can use two S-Cards. The more expensive Series 3 requires two cableCARDS. Either 2 S-Cards, 2 M-Cards, or any combination.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #48
tamooreindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
Correct. The TiVO HD for $299 only requires one Multi-tuner card but can use two S-Cards. The more expensive Series 3 requires two cableCARDS. Either 2 S-Cards, 2 M-Cards, or any combination.
I don't think this is any longer correct. I just received a new Tivo HD Series 3 yesterday. The installer instructions (to hand to the installer) say that it can use one M card for two tuners. It is definitely a Series 3.
tamooreindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #49
aaronwt
HD Addict

Series 3 is used by people to designate the more expensive version with the OLED screen. Even though the TiVoHD is technically a series 3, people just call that a TiVoHD.
What people call a Series3(OLED screen) can only accept single stream cards(it can actually use M cards but only use it in single stream mode so you would still need two cards)
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #50
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamooreindy View Post
I don't think this is any longer correct. I just received a new Tivo HD Series 3 yesterday. The installer instructions (to hand to the installer) say that it can use one M card for two tuners. It is definitely a Series 3.
The THD has no OLED display on the front panel and it does not have the glow remote. That is the cheaper $299 version. It only requires one M-Card.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxes.do

TiVo® HD DVR $299.99

The ultimate HDTV DVR—all-in-one cable box replacement
Works with basic cable or digital cable using CableCARDs
Control Cable TV with pause, rewind, fast-forward slow-mo
Record 20 hours in HD (or up to 180 hours in SD)
Record two shows at once in HD*
Easily expand your storage capacity ‡

TiVo® Series3™ HD DVR $599.99

World's only THX-certified DVR
Control cable TV with pause, rewind, fast-forward slo-mo
Record 32 hours in HD (or up to 300 hours in SD)
Record two shows at once in HD*
Easily expand your storage capacity ‡
Premium backlit, programmable TiVo® Glo remote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #51
cramer

An installation FAQ that doesn't even mention "firmware update"? Or does that need it's own sticky?

Tivo's "The CableCARD is Getting a Firmware Update"; bottom line (literally):
If the process takes more than 40 minutes, or the update stops and then restarts, the firmware update failed and the CableCARD is unusable. If the installer is not there, you will need to contact your cable provider to get a replacement CableCARD installed and activated. The Tivo (TivoHD at least) will timeout after an hour, at which point the update will be attempted again. From what I've seen and read elsewhere, Tivo's information is spot on. (I have a CC that's been looping for hours. Someone else reported waiting 24hrs and it never working.)

It shouldn't take long if it's actually going to work. The firmware file(s) aren't that big... at 1544Kbps (OOB speed) up to 38.9Mbps (QAM256), it should take seconds to transfer and minutes to flash. The longest wait will be for the head end of the transmission loop.

Last edited by cramer : 12-21-2007 at 11:06 PM.
cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #52
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I just had 2 TivoHD get cable cards. M-cards.

The installer was here all of 15 minutes. The cards are starting to show up at Comcast. This guy only had my cablecard installs and didnt want to do 4 s-cards, so he 'stole' 2 m-cards from inventory. He says they are hoarding them right now here in Boston as they do not have that many.

The cablecard was brandnew, in the boxes, and had the latest firmware, no fw upgrade occurred.

That in itself, saves me $2.75 X 2 a month or $5.50!!! I only pay for 2 cards, not 4

The m-card seems to work just fine. The interesting thing is it has an extra screen, called network. It is disabled but it looks like a way to get 2-way communications from tivo to comcast, current not used.

The picture is great. HD is superb.

Tivo mentioned somewhere a dongle 'soon' to do the 2 way when it is available, that would be cool.

Also, and this is a surprise. I kept the comcast dvr to get on demand. I noticed that the dvr rental went to HALF marked 'Tivo Leads' on the work order sheet.

Now, I wonder if I upgrade that box to tivo software, just becoming available, whether it can MRV like my 2 TivoHD units.
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #53
cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
The interesting thing is it has an extra screen, called network. It is disabled but it looks like a way to get 2-way communications from tivo to comcast, current not used.
Interesting. The cablecard is supposed to be able to handle the DOCSIS protocol side of the DSG (Digital Setup Gateway) using the host's RF modulator -- which the tivo doesn't have. On the SA card I've looked at, the network information shows up within the diag screen.

Quote:
Now, I wonder if I upgrade that box to tivo software, just becoming available, whether it can MRV like my 2 TivoHD units.
Yes, it will have multi-room viewing, but it's not exactly like Tivo. Tivo transfer content to the local drive before playback -- the playback tivo has to download the entire thing first. The moto stb's live stream content.
cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #54
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
I just had 2 TivoHD get cable cards. M-cards.

The installer was here all of 15 minutes. The cards are starting to show up at Comcast. This guy only had my cablecard installs and didnt want to do 4 s-cards, so he 'stole' 2 m-cards from inventory. He says they are hoarding them right now here in Boston as they do not have that many.

The cablecard was brandnew, in the boxes, and had the latest firmware, no fw upgrade occurred.

That in itself, saves me $2.75 X 2 a month or $5.50!!! I only pay for 2 cards, not 4

The m-card seems to work just fine. The interesting thing is it has an extra screen, called network. It is disabled but it looks like a way to get 2-way communications from tivo to comcast, current not used.

The picture is great. HD is superb.

Tivo mentioned somewhere a dongle 'soon' to do the 2 way when it is available, that would be cool.

Also, and this is a surprise. I kept the comcast dvr to get on demand. I noticed that the dvr rental went to HALF marked 'Tivo Leads' on the work order sheet.

Phil,

Any specific things you said when you made your appointment related to the M-Cards?

At my local office in Newburyport, they say they don't have M-Cards, but I don't buy that. Do all the greater Boston Comcast outlets source their cards from one inventory location?

I would love an M card, but I will be ok with two S cards......
Old 01-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #55
mrlajoie

I just finished with the Comcast TiVo Beta here in New Hampshire and according to everything I have seen so far there is NO networking support on this unit. Perhaps it wasn't activated for the Beta, but I would think that was something they would want us to work on.
The Comcast TiVo has MOST of the functionality of the TiVo HD unit and the menus are setup ALMOST the same way. For people who want/need to retain VOD and appreciate the TiVo interface it is a good choice.
mrlajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #56
aidtopia

Is it possible that a mistake made at the dispatch end would require replacing the physical CableCard? After four techs and two phone calls, Comcast now claims that, because they made a typo early on, my card cannot be properly paired or authorized. They want me to take time off work, bring the card into a service center and exchange it for a new one and then start all over. This sounds fishy to me. Shouldn't they be able to completely reinitialize the card?
aidtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #57
kunikos
MOAR HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidtopia View Post
Is it possible that a mistake made at the dispatch end would require replacing the physical CableCard? After four techs and two phone calls, Comcast now claims that, because they made a typo early on, my card cannot be properly paired or authorized. They want me to take time off work, bring the card into a service center and exchange it for a new one and then start all over. This sounds fishy to me. Shouldn't they be able to completely reinitialize the card?
Why wouldn't they just truck roll a tech out to exchange and install the card for you? I have yet to hear any CSR ask me to bring anything into a service center.

Anyway, if they are willing to exchange the card at the service center that's all fine and dandy but if they won't pair, validate or activate it over the phone then it's useless.
kunikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #58
david4788

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidtopia View Post
The first part about the card being entered incorrectly is on par with what I have seen and expereinced. The second part about you having to bring the card in is hogwash, unless you picked it up there to begin with.
david4788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 AM   #59
dwit

I have a Tivo HD with a Comcast(Atlanta, GA) Motorola M-Card which was successfully installed(first try by tech) 3 weeks ago. I have the digital starter package, no premium channels.

I decided to give Comcast voip a try and in the process, I will be given an upgraded Digital Preferred package with HBO. They will be here next week to install the phone service.

I figure the tech and I were lucky the first time and am wary that if we have to go through the cable card installation procedure again, things may get fouled up.

Question: Will the cable card need to be reconfigured and basically taken through the process similar to the original cable card installation or will I just be able to tune the additional digital channels and HBO?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #60
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post

Question: Will the cable card need to be reconfigured and basically taken through the process similar to the original cable card installation or will I just be able to tune the additional digital channels and HBO?
The Premium Channel Upgrade will be 100% Transparent
to you. The Encryption Keys for those channels will be sent
to your "M" Card and the channels will magically appear.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote