TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #751
velum

Well just got my HDTivo and had Charter come and install my cable cards. First off the tech was over an hour late and did call me to let me know that he would be running late. When he finally got here he of course had never done a tivo. I gave him the install card and he looked at it for a second and then handed it back to me. He was in such a rush to get out of here that he put both cards in before they had been authorized and called the dispatcher and gave them the info and was gone before I had a chance to make sure everything is working correctly. The card in slot 1 is not authorized and is not working but the card in slot 2 is working and I have all my channels for the most part, some come and go. I tried calling customer support to have them hit my card that was not authorized and they told me that it was authorized just pending-pair and that the card that was working was not paired at all.
So I asked them to hit it again and they said they did and it is still not working, so I set up tech visit for tomorrow. After reading about some people having luck with the online chat I thought I would try that out and see if they had the right info for my card. So I got into a chat with someone from the video department and gave them the info for the card that was not paired and once again they tell me that that card is paired. I tell them that no it is not because I am looking at the info screen and it says that it is not paired. Then the person just tells me to wait for the tech tomorrow like I don't know what I am talking about. I then ask to have the cards hit again to try one last time to get it to pair and the person tells me they can't because it might destroy the cards and to just wait for the tech. I then ended the chat in disgust and am not looking forward to another tech visit and another afternoon waiting around. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I need to do.
velum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #752
tbear334

Thumbs up Very few problems!

Purchased my TivoHD on Friday from local Circuit City, and then called local Charter office to setup CableCard install. Asked for a single M-Card or two S-Cards. The phone rep didn't have a clue but put in the notes what I told her to about the M-Card, if they had it locally. Appt set for 10:00 AM on Monday. Hooked Tivo up to my system on Saturday (Extended Basic only) to make sure everything was working and so it could install any software updates over the weekend. I was not home for the install, my (non-techie) partner was, but told him to tell the tech to follow the Tivo instructions exactly. Contractor tech showed up (early) and barely spoke english, and although it took 1 1/2 hours, he left with one M-Card installed and activated. Had to wait on a firmware update, so when I got home, I went through guided setup again and rebooted. Everything working great! I was so happy to send back the craptastic Moto Charter DVR! So I have to say... after reading all the horror stories, I was prepared for the worst, but everything went pretty smoothly even though the techs said this was only the 2nd Tivo (First HD) that they had ever installed CCs. Here's hoping that Charter is getting its act together... here in Montgomery, we actually have a choice between Charter and Knology, and sometimes I think that helps our customer service situation because they know we can switch.
tbear334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #753
gdomeier

My charter experience started good, but went down hill. The first installer only brought 1 single stream card. That was setup and good to go rather painlessly. The nightmare came trying to get the second installer here.

When he did finally get here, he had never done a cable card, much less a tivo. I stepped him through using the tivo install guide. When it came time to call the head and and pair the card, he connected with someone who also had never done a cable card. Then after much waiting, his cell phone died. That was after him getting here 2 1/2 hours late for the 1-5 install window.

I told him him to go. He said his sup would call today. Never did. I called the charter help line last night and tried to explain to the csr what I needed to do. She said all she could do was "hit" the card. No help. I also tried the online chat. Same deal.

I came home today during lunch (after having to take three, one half days of vacation) and called the charter help line. This time the guy answered charter video, or something like that. I explained what happened, and what I needed to do. He said no problem. He took my cc sn, saw what was wrong. He got on chat with the person who could pair my card. I gave the host and data numbers, and now I am good to go.

God I hate charter Thanks for listening to my vent!
gdomeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #754
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdomeier
My charter experience started good, but went down hill. The first installer only brought 1 single stream card. That was setup and good to go rather painlessly. The nightmare came trying to get the second installer here.

When he did finally get here, he had never done a cable card, much less a tivo. I stepped him through using the tivo install guide. When it came time to call the head and and pair the card, he connected with someone who also had never done a cable card. Then after much waiting, his cell phone died. That was after him getting here 2 1/2 hours late for the 1-5 install window.

I told him him to go. He said his sup would call today. Never did. I called the charter help line last night and tried to explain to the csr what I needed to do. She said all she could do was "hit" the card. No help. I also tried the online chat. Same deal.

I came home today during lunch (after having to take three, one half days of vacation) and called the charter help line. This time the guy answered charter video, or something like that. I explained what happened, and what I needed to do. He said no problem. He took my cc sn, saw what was wrong. He got on chat with the person who could pair my card. I gave the host and data numbers, and now I am good to go.

God I hate charter Thanks for listening to my vent!
If you ever have CableCard problems with Charter always ask for the "Video group" when you call. The rest of Charter doesn't even know the difference between a CableCard and a cable box.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #755
galewis
what square pupils?

Charter Setup Tip

FWIW, I had Charter come to install two cable cards in my newly-purchased HD TiVo about 2 weeks ago. (Blow-by-blow here, though it's not really all that relevant to the reason for this post.)

The installation was going VERY poorly even though I had a Tivo Tech Support on the phone and the installer was in regular contact with his office, too. The upshot of the procedure that worked is this:
  1. as the included instructions say, hook the TiVo up a day or two before the installer's visit and download the latest software
  2. the installer should do whatever usual work he does to get a cable TV signal to the TiVo
  3. make sure that the coax cable is connected to the coax input on the back of the Tivo, not the antenna input (it had been... I wasn't THAT dumb!)
  4. run guided setup without any cable cards in the unit at all
  5. insert the first cable card and authorize
  6. re-run guided setup
  7. insert the second cable card and authorize
  8. re-run guided setup

He and the TiVo tech had tried just about every other conceivable permutation, and this was the ONLY one that worked. I suggested that both the Charter tech and the Tivo tech make notes in their respective logs of the procedure that worked, but I somehow doubt that they did.

Anyway, hope this makes the job easier for someone else out there.

Last edited by galewis : 10-03-2007 at 07:53 AM.
galewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #756
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by galewis
  • insert the first cable card and authorize
  • re-run guided setup
  • insert the second cable card and authorize
  • re-run guided setup
It is not necessary to run guided setup until after the installer leaves. I have had Charter install cablecards in several TiVo HDs. Making the installer wait on guided setup to run twice will only make them want to hurry to leave and that is the last thing you want. Guided setup will not affect the authorization or the testing of the channels.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #757
MasterCephus

SO I think I have pretty much every HD channel available to me in my area (Birmingham, AL) except for HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime), but does anyone know when Charter is going to get some new HD channels?

It seems like DirecTv and Comcast gets new channels, and we left in the dust...any ideas?
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #758
spiegelsx4

Arrow One bad cable card!

So my Series 3 HD has been working great with two Charter cable cards for about six months. Suddenly, Card 1 can only get channels 1-99. The Charter tech on the phone sent something over the wires that did not help and now a technician is coming to visit (fun, fun fun!)
Does this sound like a bad card or something they might be able to fix? Of course, I asked them to send the technician with a new card just in case and they said they couldn't. (WHY?)
Then they proceeded to get me to combine my internet, telephone and cable all with them! I told them they haven't proven to me that they can keep my cable working, let alone my internet and telephone!
If one cable card goes bad, can they leave the slot 2 one alone and just replace slot 1?
Thanks!
spiegelsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 AM   #759
galewis
what square pupils?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
It is not necessary to run guided setup until after the installer leaves. I have had Charter install cablecards in several TiVo HDs. Making the installer wait on guided setup to run twice will only make them want to hurry to leave and that is the last thing you want. Guided setup will not affect the authorization or the testing of the channels.
I'm no cable expert so I can't explain why this should have worked or why it shouldn't have. But the Charter tech and the TiVo Service Rep both agreed that, for whatever reason, this was the only method that worked. You may believe otherwise -- that's fine. All I care is that my setup is working.
galewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #760
kentster2

Cable cards never stop trying to upgrade

So I have had Charter out to my house 4 times (5th time will be today) trying to get two S-Card cable cards working in my TiVo HD box. To date they have tried 10 cards and have only got one working. Every time they plug in a card, TiVo reports that is trying to update firmware. The update takes about an hour they then TiVo says it is complete and everything is OK for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then TiVo reports that it has to update the firmware again. The one that worked never needed an upgrade. Has anyone else had this problem? The Charter techs are trying to help but they really don't know anything cable cards. Is there anything I can do to try to help fix this problem? It sounds like it is downloading a firmware update but that firmware update isn't working with TiVo since it immediately trys to update it again. Any ideas?
kentster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:44 AM   #761
dgoswick

TiVo HD - Charter - MCard Installation

Just want to add that I had no problem getting a Motorola MCard installed and working with Charter here in Duluth, GA. When I called, I told them I needed an MCard or two SCards but the person on the other end didn't know what I was talking about. It just so happened that the tech brought out two SCards and one MCard. After the first SCard didn't work he put in the MCard (thinking it was just another Cablecard, and it worked! I convinced him to just leave the one MCard and he did, and it's working great!
dgoswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #762
jgwyatt

Charter screwed up my first install as I knew they would. The contracted labor that helps them would rather come in and leave within 10 minutes.

The second guy was a bonafide Charter employee. I explained the installation process and he called the tech manager at the office. The manager knew that matching the cards at their place with the numbers in my box was crucial.

BTW, whenever they ask what the cards are going in tell them a TV tuner. Vague is better.

I also found when answering the door, explain to the installer that it may take a while to get everything done and you insist on him staying with you until all is working. I also found that offering Cokes and a seat on the couch was enticing to him as it looked like he never got treated nice at other folks house. However nice you are never let them have too much wiggle room - keep them on task with solving your issue. And make them call the head tech at the home office. It took 45 minutes to an hour to solve my install because the tech was supporting all the issues on multiple phone calls.

JW
jgwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 AM   #763
cptlapcat

Bonified Charted guy shows up at my door and I asked him if he had ever done a Tivo cable card install. He said "no" (bad news). I ask if he had any extra cable cards. He said he brought 8 (good news). When he went to install the cards he told me that he was told all you had to do was "slap" them in the Tivo (bad news). I told him, do you want to spend a few minutes or a few hours on the install? He then read the Tivo instructions and some notes I took off this site and 30 minutes later he was out the door.

Thanks to all for your prior insight.
cptlapcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #764
Sandlapper

Contracted Charter guy shows up today for my THD install. Everything seems to be working except the encrypted channels. I let the guy go because he just seemed like he had no idea of what to do next. What do ya'll suggest I do now? Call Charter and hope they can resolve it over the phone? Is there anything I can do?
Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #765
sirhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
Contracted Charter guy shows up today for my THD install. Everything seems to be working except the encrypted channels. I let the guy go because he just seemed like he had no idea of what to do next. What do ya'll suggest I do now? Call Charter and hope they can resolve it over the phone? Is there anything I can do?
Have them close the ticket. I had the exact same problem. TV cards worked for digital but not for premium stuff. As soon as he closed the ticket, everything started working.
sirhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #766
Sandlapper

Just got off the phone with a really nice lady, but she couldn't solve the issue. She admitted she hadn't really worked with CableCards very much, and I could tell that any info she was giving me was just being read off of some screen. She says everything looks fine, so the only thing she knows to do is send someone out. I won't be off of work until Wednesday so I'll just have to make do until then. I requested a actual Charter employee be sent instead of a contractor. She said that for actual "repair" calls they send Charter employees, and that for installs the use contractors.

I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope it gets fixed Wednesday. Luckily, the locals are coming in and those are what I watch most so it's not that big of an issue, but it's gotta be fixed before next Saturday's football games!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #767
jbeach66

Smile Cable card encrypted channels

I got a M-card for my tivo HD installed by a tech who had only done a few cable cards and had never installed on a tivo. After he left I found I was getting everything but encrypted channels. After a couple calls to support to reinitialize the card and rehit it, nothing had changed.

The conditional access screen showed auth:mp when tuned to an encrypted channel. This means it was not getting the encryption keys. When the second tech came back, I started to show him the problem but everything was working. He said he had called in to have line balanced just before he got there. I am not sure what that means but everything works now.

If you are not getting encrypted channels you might ask if the line needs to be balanced.
jbeach66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #768
Sandlapper

From reading the CP screen and reading some info from Tivo it appears my cards aren't "paired"

I'm just going to be patient and wait for them to get here on Wed.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #769
urungus

This thread frightened me, but thought I'd post a Charter success story:

The tech came, and I told him I'd prefer an M-type multistream card, which he had never heard of. Then he was going to put the first card into slot 2 before I stopped him. Uh-oh.

But then everything went fine. He popped in two S-cards, called in their numbers, I verified that I was getting HBO in HD, everything works like a charm.
urungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #770
Chris White
Chris White

10/11: Bought Tivo. Called Charter to order cards and took first available appointment date - 10/18.

10/18: Installer had never installed to a Tivo, but was willing to read and follow Tivo instructions. He brought 4 cards, but only one worked as expected. The other card he left in the Tivo can receive channels 1-100 and the local digital channels, but no other digital channels (e.g, ESPN-HD). He left, saying "Charter will call you to set up another appointment." Charter doesn't call.

10/19: Called Charter to set up another appointment. Charter agent apologizes profusely, saying installer should have gone to get another card and returned immediately. He starts a repair ticket and says Charter will call me to set an appointment. Charter doesn't call.

10/22: Used on-line chat to contact Charter. Charter agent says there is no open ticket about the problem and that their records indicate I have two working cards. She apologizes for the problem. I take the next available appointment date - 10/25.

10/23: Tivo downloads 9.2 during the night.

I currently have a partially working Card 1 and a fully functional Card 2. Do I need to remove Card 2 prior to replacing Card 1??
Chris White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #771
Sandlapper

Hey everyone, just thought I'd post an update.

Long story short, THE CABLEMAN OF THE YEAR SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE!!!

He fixed my cablecard issue before he even got to the house! On his ride over he called up whoever he needed to talk to and had them authorize my cards correctly so that the encrypted channels were showing up about 10 minutes before he got to my house.

Once he got to my house I told him about some signal issues I've been having and he then proceeded to fix those for me.

If all of Charter's employees were this awesome they wouldn't be nearly frowned upon as often as I read and hear about.

All is well in the Tivo HD world at my house!!!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #772
willis91016

Charter install nightmare...

So I bought my S3 last Saturday. Setup an appointment with Charter for tuesday evening, after going to the local office to pickup my cable cards after a phone tech told me I could.... No show on Tuesday evening, no phone call, just no show. Call and find out my appointment is at scheduled for the following morning because the "tech showed up and was not allowed in because he did not have is ID" which is odd since I was there for the entire time...

On Tuesday the install shows up, gets the cards installed and checks a couple channels and bolts. I notice that a couple of the premium channels are not working on card 2 but figure they would after a while, and I had a meeting to get to.

Still not working when I get home. Call support and sit through a 20 minute automated help that had nothing to do with cable cards to get to a real person. She trys to get it paired and then immediately gives up and passes me up to her sup. He basically does the same thing, with no effect and tells me they need to send a tech out...

Two techs show, hope rises, and proceed to tell me that Charter is having issues with Tivos and there is nothing they can do. Their managment is working the problem. Did not even look at anything, did not even touch the Tivo. Hope crashes to the floor into a thousand pieces. After some pointed questions to try to get them to do something, including why the hell did the Tech "superviser" T talked to mention this before I left work early to meet them, y anger reached a point where I had to let them leave else I was going to blow up on them.

So outside of venting, I do have a couple questions:
Has anyone else in the Pasadena Ca area heard about this?

The one cable card that is working, kinda, keeps losing lock on the encoded channels every few seconds. Signal Strength shows 95 dB so I don't think that is the problem. All of the other channels including the local HD channels are fine. Any ideas?

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by willis91016 : 11-03-2007 at 11:13 PM.
willis91016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #773
Mamoth

Here is my horror story... figure I might as well add to the pile.

First off, I want to say, when I call Charter, nothing... and I mean nothing... is ever easy. I have to jump through hoops to get anything done. They are a terrible company so I expected this to be a fiasco. And it was.

I got my TiVo on Friday and had an appointment set for the following Monday. The installers showed up on time (sort of.. between 1 and 4.. they came at 3:45). I told them exactly how to install the CableCARDS but they pretty much ignored me. They put one in and it started to initialize and what-not. It said it was scanning and all was good. They waited all of 2 minutes and thought it was taking to long so they inserted the second one. This screwed the entire process. I said, "If you want to be here 15 minutes, do it my way... if you want to be here over an hour.. feel free to keep doing with what you are doing." They finally decided to do it per the instructions.

After about 45 min, I had my CableCARDS installed. I was getting my HD channels and such so everything seemed fine. They then asked if I wanted them to take my receiver. I specifically asked them if I would be able to get, in the future, HBO, Showtime, etc and also PPV. I was told I would be able to, I just had to call and order the events I want.

Today I get on Charter's chat and tried to order a PPV event. I was told that my account was not setup for PPV. I was flabbergasted. After I asked the tech if I would be able to get them, and them taking my receiver, they now are telling me I can't. He then offered me a package for $129.99 a month that included phone, a bunch of channels, and internet (which, incidentally is $20 more than the offer I got in the mail).

So, now, I cannot get PPV and I have no receiver to even have the option to order. I viewed other cable companies web sites and as long as you have a CableCARD all you have to do is call and order over the phone and you are good-to-go.

What is up with Charter? They have to be the worst cable company known to man. I have no idea what to do. So, I hooked up DishNetwork to get PPV for the time being. It was $9.95 to get a receiver (which the TiVo 3 really doesn't support) as apposed to $6.00 to have a connection for DishNetwork (again, which TiVo doesn't really support either). Why would Charter not allow for folks to get PPV if they have CableCARDs? It seems ridiculous to me. They are forcing me to pay $9.95 extra a month to be able to order PPV while I have CableCARDS? Yet, their Moxi box has CableCARDs and they are able to receive PPV.

Sigh.
Mamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #774
m750
this space for rent

So, I've got an SA mcard installed in slot one, I've got 9.2a, but I'm still getting 'waiting for CP Auth'.
What should I do to get this working with my tivo?
I believe that means they don't have the host id / serial # of my card, anyone have any luck getting this resolved with out a truck roll?
Thanks,
AO
m750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #775
No Static At Al

Rolling the dice

After two truck rolls, and running GS after each CC install, my Motorola cards are working in my THD. However.....

The CSR (when I set up the install) told me they only have single stream cards in my area, Durand Michigan. Wrong. The first truck installed one single stream card in slot one, but the 2nd card was bad. Truck 2 brought a working card...but I realize now that it is an M-card - but it is in Slot 2!!

So, here's the dilema: Everything is working now.... I have a thrid truck roll scheduled for tomorrow morning. Should I cancel? Should I let them come, and try to install the M-card in slot 1? This would save me $1.50 per month, but I'm afraid of upsetting the apple cart. (They won't let me give them the host ID, data etc. without a tech at the house.)

The good news is, both techs so far have been cool! They recognized that I knew what I was talking about with the CCs, and let me be in the driver's seat. I may have sold one tech on TiVo!
No Static At Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #776
RonDawg

For a $1.50 a month I say let sleeping dogs lie. The problems you can potentially re-introduce by needing a tech to come out yet another time could very well make that $1.50 seem non-existent by comparison.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #777
No Static At Al

Roll the Dice

Well, I lucked out!

Quote:
Should I cancel? Should I let them come, and try to install the M-card in slot 1? This would save me $1.50 per month, but I'm afraid of upsetting the apple cart.
I decided to keep the appointment, and we moved my M-card to Slot 1, eliminated my second CC, and it worked perfectly. When we had the pairing info up on the screen, and he was calling the office he said, "Oh, I hope I get someone smart enough to know how to enter this in!" He did, and all is well in Durand, Michigan!
No Static At Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #778
Sandlapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by m750 View Post
So, I've got an SA mcard installed in slot one, I've got 9.2a, but I'm still getting 'waiting for CP Auth'.
What should I do to get this working with my tivo?
I believe that means they don't have the host id / serial # of my card, anyone have any luck getting this resolved with out a truck roll?
Thanks,
AO
From what I found, even though it technically would be possible to do without a truck roll, they essentially won't do anything without one. I'd go ahead and call and setup an appointment.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #779
xena

Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168 View Post
I cannot believe the load of BS that Charter is giving you. Seeing how much trouble you are getting from them is also making me worry about my install on Friday. Hopefully the Alhambra office will be better. Don't know...

Anyone else have Charter and has had their CCs work on their Tivos?
Had a rep. this a.m. The card gave the error message 161-4 and so he pulled it out and replaced it with the other card which was ok. But when he inserted the first card into the second slot it again gave the error message. He called his supervisor and we were told he would return by 2 pm with new cards for the HDTivo.

Crazy as it sounds the tv works...all stations come thru now without the second card inserted but i cannot tell if the are HD quality or if the TV is properly working since i do not dare fiddle with it until he returns.

FYI - rep. knows nothing about installation in TIVo and has not done it before.
xena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #780
xena

Looking for help....
Charter came out this a.m. returning within the next 45 minutes with new cards.
Please tell me the name of your rep of the year so maybe my rep. can contact him for hlep while he is here? Thanks more than a bunch.....!!!!!!
xena is offline   Reply With Quote