TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #4201
BurnBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cikk
well its tuesday and looks like there trying to avoid coming out again, the tech called this morning said he'll talk to his supervisor about the problem im having with the cablecards, told him i doubt that'll be of any help since ive already heard from his supervisor and he's just as clueless and that they need to come over and talk to tivo on the phone while trying to install them, he told me he'll call me back in a little while. i'm pretty sure there just going to have me waiting all day with no one showing up again, so looks like i'll be going to return my tivo box tonight and cancel my cable. oh well, thanks for the help anyways.
Cable company reps tend to get real friendly once you mention that they're required by the FCC to provide cablecards that let you access their channels. The rep who was initially trying to schedule my install was trying to tell me he didn't see why the Tivo should need 2 cablecards, but got much more cooperative once I mentioned the above.

Mention the FCC thing then request that the technician be on a three-way call with Tivo at the time of the install. Good luck. I hope you don't have to return the Tivo.
BurnBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 AM   #4202
kipe

Tivo HD and NBA League Pass. CableCards now non-functioning

Just added NBA League Pass to my subscription tonight. My Tivo HD had been working fine with two cable cards for a couple of months, but is now non-functioning. Comcast tried to activate NBA League Pass on my CableCards in the Tivo HD box by sending hits to the CableCards and now they don't work anymore. Comcast said they will have to send someone out .. again (they "burned" four cards on the original install before things were setup to work correctly).

Has anyone else had luck with NBA League Pass or other season pay-per-view type subscriptions and their Tivo HD or Series 3 boxes? I see some success stories in other threads, but I'm not sure why the failure rate appears to be so high with CableCards and Comcast!? What do I need to tell them to make sure they do this right?

They assured me this would work when I made the order.

kipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #4203
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipe
Has anyone else had luck with NBA League Pass or other season pay-per-view type subscriptions and their Tivo HD or Series 3 boxes?
NHL Center Ice here. Working fine for the second Season with my two of my S3's and four cableCARDs on Comcast/NE.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #4204
bktraveler

Its all about who your talking to at Comcast you can go through dozens of idiots before you get connected to someone who knows what to do. Trust me I went through about 8 people before I talked to someone who was familiar with cablecards.
bktraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #4205
herculespilot

I am in a serious house of pain with Comcast here in Panama City, FL. I first tried to get my Series 3 Scientific Atlanta S Card install 2 months ago. After a long list of mistakes by 3 sets of techs Comcast finally tells me that my CableCards aren't working because of the cable signal in my neighborhood and that they would put in a work order to replace some underground cable a couple of blocks from my house. They went through every excuse in the book why it was taking so long to get this cable fixed. They finally got the underground repair completed on Monday and sent another "CableCard experienced" tech out yesterday to try the install again in my S3.

The original problem I had 2 months ago was channels only tuning for a few seconds and then switching to one of the black and gray screens with words to the effect that the cable company needed to be contacted to activate the card. The guy that came out yesterday thought that meant that the cards were defective and started down the path of swapping out a box of new cards. Each card that he put in would go into a firmware upgrade for about an hour, seem to work, and then go into another hour of firmware upgrade. I have read that this can happen, but not multiple times back to back in the same card. Every card that he put in behaved the same way. He went back to his office to find some cards that had the latest firmware, but the next box he tried had the same result.

I finally told him that I don't think this is going to work and that someone should come back when they have some answers to this problem. I called TiVo and they said that this firmware upgrade is a cable company problem. TiVo was very willing to help, but without a card that isn't constantly looking for a firmware upgrade, the can't help me or Comcast get my S3 up and going.

My Comcast tech, his supervisor, and their engineer don't seem to know anything about this and have contacted Scientific Atlanta. I'm waiting for them to come up with a solution but I'm not holding my breath. Does anyone know anything about this issue of the card looking for a firmware upgrade for hours and never completing the download?
herculespilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #4206
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculespilot
Does anyone know anything about this issue of the card looking for a firmware upgrade for hours and never completing the download?
http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...f-8787455bdf26

Quote:
Firmware updates may take up to 40 minutes. If the CableCARD has not yet been activated, the configuration screen will appear immediately after the update is complete. The cable provider can then proceed with activating the card. If the CableCARD was already activated, it will resume working as usual after the update is complete.

If the process takes more than 40 minutes, or the update stops and then restarts, the firmware update failed and the CableCARD is unusable. If the installer is not there, you will need to contact your cable provider to get a replacement CableCARD installed and activated.

- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #4207
herculespilot

Thanks. I have seen that TiVo info about the CC firmware, but does that mean that every card that they tried was defective? Comcast has tried cards from several different manufacturing lots and they all did the same thing...constantly checking for firmware. I just find it difficult to believe that a company as large as Comcast doesn't have better knowledge about the Scientific Atlanta CableCards and firmware updates. They even tried some other cards at their office in a TV and they were also stuck looking for firmware. Could it be a problem with their system communicating the need for firmware update with the cards?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #4208
tmesser

I suppose it could be a problem with their system, but I think it's just as likely that every card he tried was defective. How many did he try? During my installs, three out of five were defective, and that sounds pretty normal (unacceptable, but normal).
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #4209
bbiffle

New Forum member: I purchased the TiVo HD 3 a few months ago and spent several frustrating weeks trying to get it to work with Comcast HD. They put in a number of cable cards that they just couldn't make work. Finally gave up and got another Comcast HD STB. Been using that, but still have the TiVO HD 3 sitting on the shelf. Any movement to make the cable cards actually work with the TiVo?
bbiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #4210
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbiffle
Any movement to make the cable cards actually work with the TiVo?
Slowly Comcast techs seem to be figuring it out; but the issue has always been on the Comcast side... you should call and ask them if they've learned how to use their own authorization system yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #4211
bbiffle

I'll do that. Not much confidence in any results, though. I hate to think I've bought a $300 door stop.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #4212
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I'm thinking that the problem isn't defective CableCards, it's defective authorization practices by Comcast, which has no strong incentive (other than FCC fines) to make them work. If it can tell the FCC, "Golly, gee, all these cards are defective, no wonder we can't make them work," and the FCC buys it, that's more DVR business for Comcast.

I doubt Comcast has this kind of quality control problem with its cable modems and house-brand DVRs.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #4213
bbiffle

I purchased the TiVo HD 3 a few months ago and spent several frustrating weeks trying to get it to work with Comcast HD. They put in a number of cable cards that they just couldn't make work. Finally gave up and got another Comcast HD STB. Been using that, but still have the TiVO HD 3 sitting on the shelf. Any movement to make the cable cards actually work with the TiVo?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #4214
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbiffle
I purchased the TiVo HD 3 a few months ago and spent several frustrating weeks trying to get it to work with Comcast HD. They put in a number of cable cards that they just couldn't make work. Finally gave up and got another Comcast HD STB. Been using that, but still have the TiVO HD 3 sitting on the shelf. Any movement to make the cable cards actually work with the TiVo?

Well, many of us have had working cards in THD's for months.

What city are you in?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 AM   #4215
herculespilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser
I suppose it could be a problem with their system, but I think it's just as likely that every card he tried was defective. How many did he try? During my installs, three out of five were defective, and that sounds pretty normal (unacceptable, but normal).
He tried about 5 or 6 before he figured out that none of them were going to update the firmware. After that he went back to the office and returned with a box that had at least 10 and tried just about all of them. We could have spent another 12 hours watching all of the cards trying to download the firmware update and I don't think we would have been successful. Comcast called today and said that they think they have 4 cards that have up to date firmware and will be out on next Monday to try again since I am out of town for the rest of this week. Hopefully we will have success soon.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #4216
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by herculespilot
He tried about 5 or 6 before he figured out that none of them were going to update the firmware. After that he went back to the office and returned with a box that had at least 10 and tried just about all of them. We could have spent another 12 hours watching all of the cards trying to download the firmware update and I don't think we would have been successful. Comcast called today and said that they think they have 4 cards that have up to date firmware and will be out on next Monday to try again since I am out of town for the rest of this week. Hopefully we will have success soon.
When you say you watched them try to download the update, how long did you give it uninterrupted before you gave up and pulled the card out and tried the next? There's no status update as firmware is loaded. On one of my installs the tech only brought 4 cards; One card authorized and worked fine, but all the others went into a firmware update mode and seemingly just stayed there. So he was going back to the office and I suggested leaving one card in there while he was gone. About 35-45 minutes after he left, the card finished updating and when he got back he simply called in the authorization numbers and it worked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 AM   #4217
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Perhaps they should have some machines in the office that will update CableCards' firmware BEFORE they take them out to install at customers' homes. It might make their lives easier.

Nah. that's too sensible and might cost them money. Forget I said anything.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #4218
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin
Perhaps they should have some machines in the office that will update CableCards' firmware BEFORE they take them out to install at customers' homes. It might make their lives easier.

Nah. that's too sensible and might cost them money. Forget I said anything.
After my first install, I thought they did because the tech talked about the cards being initialized at the office.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:34 AM   #4219
Slyde

I live in Evanston, IL (just outside of Chicago)...

I received my Tivo HD Monday, and Tuesday showed up at my local (Skokie, IL) Comcast office to try to get a card for a self-install - they said they had none at that location and will have to call and request an install.

I did so Tuesday evening, they noted it was a $17.98 charge (since I was changing service) - I also requested they remove my 2 cables boxes (I had a SD box for my Seriies 2 - and a HD box for watching live HD)

They were able to schedule a tech for either 10-12 or 8-12 on Thursday. I was pretty impressed to get an appointment for 1.5 days away... I got I took the latter hoping he would arrive earlier...

I got an automated confirmation that estimated the tech to arrive between 9:15 and 10:15. The tech showed up at 10:45. He had a thick Eastern European accent and was very unfriendly (despite my slightly sick and very friendly 2 year old daughter trying to engage him - he evidently had no interest in reading "Goodnight Moon" to her).

He seemed to have no clue at how to use the Tivo Remote (I had to explain the "select" button to him) and he seemed to be randomly traversing menus - inspiring little confidence in me. But he spent a LOT of time frantically texting someone. Clearly the person at the other end knew what they were doing and he was figuring it out - because he made steady (if slow) progress.

I forgot to mention "1 M or 2 S" cards - when I explained it - he seemed to be unwilling to consider installing 2 cards - but fortuntely he had M cards so it was a moot point.

He spent a lot of time with the first card - it got to the point where it was trying to download the list of channels; I forget the exact terminology - but it was a graphic (as opposed to text-only) screen with a "spinning ball" type icon in the middle.

He VERY pateintly waited a LONG time before Tivo eventually sent a "failure" message. He spent a lot of time before giving up - including downloading a software update (I believe it was the 9.2 update) which I was surprised he was able to do - I had done a lot of the normal "maintenance" stuff setting it up the night before - and didn't see an option to download it.

Once he tried a different M card - he had no problems with the install - and actually went through the entire guided setup etc. At first I thought it still had a problem - because the channel verification had a grey-screen instead of showing the channel - but by the time he finished all the service downloads, etc of the Guided setup everything was working.

All told he spent a good 2 hours doing the install - and so far everything is working fine...

When discussing the first card - he mentioned they have a lot of problems with them - which he attributed to them re-using previous customer's cards - without properly clearing the previous settings...
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #4220
quick

I have searched but can't find any answers to this issue I'm having with my TiVoHD

I have Comcast, with 1 Motorola M-Card (In Houston, Texas)

Problem is that HD channels will all of a sudden go blank/black and won't come back unless you switch tuners and change channels on both, or restart the tivo, this causes recordings to be cut off or not recorded at all, only happens on HD channels.

Also I have noticed lately the cable card info page comes up randomly with the Host ID, the same page that comes up when you first install the cable cards.

There was a thread here but no one has posted on it with a solution and nothing since 2006.

Also my cable signal levels are good to maybe even too high?

Anyone know whats going on here?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #4221
Qwertinsky

I will throw in my experience here, I live in NW Washington, north of Seattle.

I just purchased a Tivo-HD and transfered my lifetime subscription with the special that ended November 8th.

I called the Comcast 800# to schedule a cable card install. The person I spoke to on the phone said cable cards no longer need to be installed by Comcast. I could just run out to the office, pick them up and install them myself, or he would be happy to schedule a Comcast technician to install them for me, but the soonest they could come would be two weeks from now and there would be a charge for the installation.

So I said I think can handle it myself and went out the next day to get them.

The lady at the Comcast center said I would need two multi-stream cards, but was not sure if they were the blue or red cards.

Interesting the red cards say M-card and the Blue cards say S-card. To me that meant Multi-stream and Single-stream but I guess she could not figure that out and it took her ten minutes to find someone that knew this.

I was amazed in how cheap these things are. Here are the recent charges from my online statement.

TIVO SERIES 3-CABLE CARD $ 0.71
LOCAL TAX $ 0.11
FRANCHISE FEE $ 0.06
STATE SALES TAX $ 0.12
Total $ 1.71

When the Tivo arrived I hooked it up and made sure it worked before I installed the cards. Reading the manual I noticed it said I only need ONE multi stream or TWO single stream cards, made sense to me.

So I just installed one card to the first slot. The Tivo jumped right to a screen that said "This screen was provided by your cable company" this screen had an 800# to call to activate the card. I called it and read off a couple numbers from the screen to them. Then the guy said he was activating it now, the screen changed to some "//failed//auth//" error message. So he did it again and said it should be working, try some channels. So I flipped through a few of the channels that needed to be authorized and sure enough it was working.

I tested the multi-stream part by making sure I could indeed record two channels at once with one M-Card.

Over all the entire process took about ten minutes and was pretty painless.

I will have to say Comcast has improved their customer support as many of my prior interactions with them have not gone so well.

Last edited by Qwertinsky : 11-13-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Qwertinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #4222
herculespilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
When you say you watched them try to download the update, how long did you give it uninterrupted before you gave up and pulled the card out and tried the next?
I watched one card go through the update 4 times during a period of about 5 hours while the tech went back to the office to find some other cards. We waited another hour with one of the cards that he brought back and watched it complete its firmware update, allow us to tune channels for about 10 seconds, and then try to update the firmware again. After that the guy on the other end of his Nextel advised him to try some of the other cards to see if they didn't need the updated firmware...not of those worked either. He didn't give those a lot of time, but it was around quitting time and I was ready for him to go home.
Comcast is returning this morning with some updated cards. Hopefully this is the day the S3 is fully functional. It has been a long 2 1/2 months.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #4223
herculespilot

Success! Finally we have Comcast/TiVo Series 3 HD bliss. The same Comcast tech came this morning with the CableCards that were up to date on their firmware and it only took about 20 mins to get everything working. If they only tested the cards to make sure they worked and were up to date on their firmware before every install call. Comcast could certainly save themselves a lot of time and trouble. I guess the percentage of CableCard users must be so small that they don't worry about the extra time and money for a few install problems.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #4224
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
I have searched but can't find any answers to this issue I'm having with my TiVoHD

I have Comcast, with 1 Motorola M-Card (In Houston, Texas)

Problem is that HD channels will all of a sudden go blank/black and won't come back unless you switch tuners and change channels on both, or restart the tivo, this causes recordings to be cut off or not recorded at all, only happens on HD channels.

Also I have noticed lately the cable card info page comes up randomly with the Host ID, the same page that comes up when you first install the cable cards.

There was a thread here but no one has posted on it with a solution and nothing since 2006.

Also my cable signal levels are good to maybe even too high?

Anyone know whats going on here?

I've been also having that problem. Here is a thread that covers it in gorey detail:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=365824

In the case where just the HD channels go blank, I'm thinking it's a handshake issue. Next time it happens, I'm going to switch from native mode to fixed mode and see if that does the trick...
Old 11-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #4225
herculespilot

Does Comcast have any standard TiVo Series 3 CableCard pricing? My local Comcast office still doesn't understand that a TiVo Series 3 is a single box connected to a single HDTV and wants to charge me $6.95 for each card per month. I see here that Qwertinsky is only paying $.71 for each card and I have seen others quoting lower package pricing for the S3. Do I need to contact the Comcast 800 number to get a lower price or will the 800 number just ring in my local office?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertinsky View Post
I was amazed in how cheap these things are. Here are the recent charges from my online statement.

LOCAL TAX $ 0.11
FRANCHISE FEE $ 0.06
STATE SALES TAX $ 0.12
Total $ 1.71

Old 11-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #4226
garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculespilot View Post
Does Comcast have any standard TiVo Series 3 CableCard pricing? My local Comcast office still doesn't understand that a TiVo Series 3 is a single box connected to a single HDTV and wants to charge me $6.95 for each card per month. I see here that Qwertinsky is only paying $.71 for each card and I have seen others quoting lower package pricing for the S3. Do I need to contact the Comcast 800 number to get a lower price or will the 800 number just ring in my local office?
the number will get you to your local office. There is no global comcast cable card pricing, so Qwert's deal won't help you much. Getting 1 multi stream card instead of 2 single stream cards should limit what you have to pay however.
garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #4227
herculespilot

Thanks. Series 3 doesn't take the multistream cards.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #4228
zand94

Anyone in Harrisburg pa?

i'm getting a TivoHD very soon (just ordered) and need to know if there is anyone here from the Harrisburg PA area that has had the Comcast experience and could provide me some feedback. There's 141 pages and looking for each poster's location is a bit tedious. please?

Alex
zand94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:12 PM   #4229
tivovito

how do I switch between tuners

Picked up my 2 S-Cards at the comcast office - after a few swaps I have 2 working cards. However, the card in slot 1 gets an extra channel or two. I want to record from the channel that slot 1 gets (and slot 2 doesn't)....can I specify which tuner to record from? Or can I select which tuner I surf with (it currently surfs with slot2 tuner)? I did get the slot 1 bonus channel to record when I scheduled 2 shows at the same time....but would rather do it without the xtra recording.

fwiw - my experience getting the tivo running with the 2 cards took hours of calls...and days of swapping cards. yuk.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #4230
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculespilot View Post
Thanks. Series 3 doesn't take the multistream cards.
It does, in single stream mode. I have two M-cards in one of my TiVo's. AAMOF, the Comcast installer told me they don't even carry S-cards anymore. http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...5-4BFDE6A851E4

Quote:
Currently, the Series3 HD DVR will support M-Cards in single-stream mode, which means that the DVR requires two (2) CableCARDs to run in dual-tuner mode. The DVR must also be running software version 8.0.1c or later

pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote