TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Free Classic Movies on Amazon Unbox for TiVo through 11/18

Hi folks,

From now through November 18, you can download a classic movie FREE via Amazon Unbox. (Some are free rentals, and some are free purchases.)

Remember, for rentals, you can wait up to 30 days to start watching -- so if you're worried about running out of things to watch during the writer's strike, act quickly!

There are some amazing movies available, including:
Here's how to get your free movies:

1. Go to TiVo Central -> Find Programs -> Download TV & Movies
2. Choose Amazon Unbox
3. If you haven't already, link your TiVo account to your Amazon account as prompted. (You can also do this online at http://www.amazon.com/unbox/tivo/.)
4. Select the "Free Classic Movie Week" feed. Then select the movies you want to download.
5. If you have a Series2, wait for the download to complete to your DVR. If you have a Series3 with a fast Internet connection, wait a few minutes and begin watching.

May I recommend His Girl Friday if you haven't seen it already? Cary Grant's performance in that along with Douglas Fairbanks's in The Mark of Zorro are among my favorites.

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TiVoStephen : 11-13-2007 at 06:39 PM.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Chew

Very cool! I've always wanted to see Potemkin, 8 1/2, and His Girl Friday. Add a little Laurel & Hardy and I have plenty for the weekend.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
May I recommend His Girl Friday if you haven't seen it already?

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Stephen
Nope, already downloaded that one over a year ago free off archive.org. You have a couple there that are on Archive.

House on Haunted Hill is one of the true greats. Got that off TCM with my S3 many months ago - now even better with TTG!

Now The Iceman Cometh sounds very tempting.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

I pulled some down last night and will get some more on the downstairs TiVo to show the kids some of the classics they might like.

It would be cool if there was a way to experiment with broadening the 24 hour to wtach window on these. Movies such as these are ones I might very likely watch an hour of when I have the time and then want to come back to finish watching later. I really find the 24 hour window LIMITS the USEFULNESS of UNBOX and thus limits the money I will spend on it.

Free however is very good.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
mtchamp

Even 24 hour rentals for free give me stress. Who wants my money that won't cause me stress? I downloaded the free movies to own. Rentals I avoid, because I just can't be sure I'll be able to finish a movie in one appointment with my TV. I have access to plenty of free movies that my TiVo serves up without any restrictions. I pass on 99 cent rentals all the time. Come on Hollywood, I'm not a pirate and I'm willing to pay. Make it worthwhile! Do something bold. Let me watch it for 30 days and I'll buy in volume. Give me a subcription deal like Rhapsody and I'll go antenna and Unbox.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
flaminio

Cool

I'm guessing many of those listed are in the public domain, but free movies are always a Good Thing. Thanks for the tip; I queued up a bunch for DL. Now hopefully my broadband won't catch fire...
Old 11-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
MickeS

Public domain or not, this is an easy way to get them onto the TV screen. There are some great movies there, if you haven't seen "The cabinet of Dr Caligari" or "Nosferatu", I highly recommend them.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (1990)
Now how did that one sneak in there? What's with the gap from 1969 to 1990?

I loved R&G and probably haven't seen it in 15 years ... might have to grab it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
mphtrilogy

I just grabbed a bunch, looking forward to seeing how good the quality is.
mphtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I grabbed a purchase and a rental just to try out Unbox, but I was bummed that I couldn't use the TiVo desktop software to transfer the purchased movie to my PC for backup purposes.

I realize that it is marked as "Copy Protected", but why would anyone spend their money to purchase a movie this way if they might have to eventually delete it to make room for other programming or lose it if their TiVo hard drive TiVo craps out?
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I realize that it is marked as "Copy Protected", but why would anyone spend their money to purchase a movie this way if they might have to eventually delete it to make room for other programming or lose it if their TiVo hard drive TiVo craps out?
Note you can erase and re-download a purchased movie as many times as you want to (modulo a possible blackout period for a brand new movie). There's no need to backup, at least theoretically; Amazon maintains the backup for you.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

sbourgeo, you can use the Amazon client to download a copy of a purchase to your PC if you really want in on your PC. Otherwise, for purchases, you can re-download purchases from Your Media Library on Amazon.com to any TiVo DVR on your account. (With the exception of new movies having a pay TV blackout window during which time you cannot re-download.)

So, you don't have to worry about space or losing the purchase if you lose your DVR to a disaster.

Rentals obviously you can't transfer or re-download -- but if it's a free rental like these you can keep on renting for $zero if you want another copy.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Now how did that one sneak in there? What's with the gap from 1969 to 1990?

I loved R&G and probably haven't seen it in 15 years ... might have to grab it.
It surprised me a little too, but it DOES have a "classic" feel to it.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #14
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Any other fans of "8 1/2"?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #15
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
Any other fans of "8 1/2"?
Sorry, but when I tried to watch it all I could think was that watching the paint on a park bench fade would be far more entertaining.

There are a couple of these classic titles that I'd like to download, but Amazon still thinks that I'm in Barcelona.

and FYI as I was reading this thread and checking out the available movies on unbox on my Tivo, I lost all of the menus and any other on screen displays. No menus, no on screen guide, no info screen, no green bar and had to restart it the hard way.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #16
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Note you can erase and re-download a purchased movie as many times as you want to (modulo a possible blackout period for a brand new movie). There's no need to backup, at least theoretically; Amazon maintains the backup for you.
Thanks, that didn't occurr to me. I kinda figured that I was on my own once I had successfully downloaded it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen
sbourgeo, you can use the Amazon client to download a copy of a purchase to your PC if you really want in on your PC. Otherwise, for purchases, you can re-download purchases from Your Media Library on Amazon.com to any TiVo DVR on your account. (With the exception of new movies having a pay TV blackout window during which time you cannot re-download.)
I saw that, but it looks like I couldn't go from my PC to the TiVo either. I suppose that doesn't matter as long as you can grab it from Amazon again.

Either way, this was a nice way to give Unbox a shot.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:00 AM   #17
twassel

Unfortunately, the version of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" is not the 1919 classic but the 2005 remake, unseen by me.
twassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #18
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twassel View Post
Unfortunately, the version of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" is not the 1919 classic but the 2005 remake, unseen by me.
Never heard of a remake of it. When I click on the link for "Caligari" in Stephen's post, it says "This item is currently not available".
http://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Of-Dr-...ref=pd_sbs_atv
Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #19
twassel

If you go to the Unbox site and click on "download classic movies", "Cabinet" comes up as one of the choices, but not the 1919 version, which is, as you correctly found, "unavailable".
twassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #20
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twassel View Post
If you go to the Unbox site and click on "download classic movies", "Cabinet" comes up as one of the choices, but not the 1919 version, which is, as you correctly found, "unavailable".
Ah... well that is hardly a classic movie.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #21
flaminio

Thumbs up

I don't know what I did, but I was able to DL the 1919 version of the Caligari for free. I watched it this morning -- had no idea how bizarre it would be. The sets are just wild, especially Caligari's little house.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #22
flaminio

Red face

That was weird. I went back to the free download screen last night to see if there was anything else I wanted to get before the promotion ended, and lo and behold, the version of Caligari had changed from 1919 to 2005. So, I downloaded that one too. Now I've got both. Sweeet...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #23
nirisahn

I downloaded 2 purchase and 2 rentals. I also downloaded the purchased movies to my computer. It took almost 24 hours for the 4 movies to download to my TiVo. The two that went to the computer took about 2 hours. That's total, not each. Then, to transfer the movies from my computer to my zen took about 1 minute per movie. The biggest reason I don't do this more often is it takes to darn long to download the movies!
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #24
flaminio

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
The biggest reason I don't do this more often is it takes to darn long to download the movies!
Yeah, it's a bit slow, but you just need to plan your viewing a bit. I set up my TiVo Unbox downloads before I go to bed -- the movies are ready in the morning for viewing.

At some point in the future we'll all be on terabit networks and will have instant viewing of everything, but that day is not today...