Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2007, 08:08 AM   #2431
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred-vo
I wanna believe your answer.

I'll call TW Columbus and see what they say, not that I can trust THEIR answer that much.

I am curious....
Are you basing your answer on personal experience with only having basic channels and no CC? A friend of mine here in Columbus just got a CC for his new HD Tivo but tested reception of the basic channels before the TW tech came and installed the CC. He could not get the basic channels until the CC was installed.

Could it be that TW in your area (NC) has different configuration than here in Columbus?
If you can hook a TV directly to your cable and see the basic channels then so can Tivo. Low channels are NTSC Analog. Tivo Series 2's are doing it all over the country. S3/THD and cablecard add the ability to receive digital cable channels and decrypt anthing that is encrypted and of course HD capability. They also add digital and HD OTA capability.

You have indicated that you want to record basic analog cable plus use an antenna for OTA. The S3/THD will do that. Before I got my cablecards, My S3 was doing exactly that.

The only way it would be a problem for you is if your cablesystem is all digital and has no analog channels. I have never heard of such a system. With such a system, every TV would require a converter box to receive anything.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #2432
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjeffrey
I was excited to get the offer of transferring my lifetime subscription to a new Tivo S3 HD. That was until I read through all of these posts about cable card issues.

Has anyone in the Los Angeles area has gone through the process yet & can share their experience with me? I have Time Warner West Hollywood.

I'm wondering if it is just easier to keep my lifetime subscription on my S2 & use the Time Warner HD-DVR (for my HDTV) until the cable cards/SDV issues are resolved (probably exactly what TW wants to hear!). Any thoughts? Experiences?
I've got TimeWarner SoCal (formerly Comcast) and my S3 with two cablecards is working fine. Called, made the appointment, they came out, no problems encountered over here.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #2433
jrjeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
I've got TimeWarner SoCal (formerly Comcast) and my S3 with two cablecards is working fine. Called, made the appointment, they came out, no problems encountered over here.
That is very encouraging. Glad to hear it went well. And thanks for the info!
jrjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #2434
gamo62

TWC Cincy CableCard Issues

I had an installer come out and install two cable cards. One installed fine, updating the firmware in a few minutes. However, the other one went on for hours at the updating firmware screen.

He tried another card, and the same thing happened. They use the SA Powerkey PKM600. Supposedly they have the PKM800 Multi for use in their boxes. Two queations.

1) Are the SA cards that bad?
2) Where might I be able to find a PKM800 MStream card?

Thanks.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #2435
timckelley
TCFer

I think if I decide to install cable cards in my new HD TiVo, that based on this thread, I should wait until the off season to do it, lest I miss a bunch of first run shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #2436
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
I think if I decide to install cable cards in my new HD TiVo, that based on this thread, I should wait until the off season to do it, lest I miss a bunch of first run shows.
With the Writes Guild going on strike, you may have time in the not so distant future.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #2437
suaspont

This is getting silly -- it reminds me of the 3 Stooges.

So, when last we met, the TWC tech said that another tech would bring an amplifier on Friday night between 8 and 9. He neither called nor showed up. I'm glad I spent my Friday evening waiting on TWC instead of going out with my friends after work.

Then on Saturday, two new techs showed up with a CableCard equipped TV. Their goal was see if they could get the CableCards to work in it, which would demonstrate that the CableCards were at least working. Well, the two guys that showed up did not know anything about the TV they brought and spent about 2 hours trying to get it to work with a CableCard. Apparently, this TV was from another tech's truck and they didn't know anything about it.

Unlike the guy who had been showing up so far, these techs were able to call someone in the "computer room" -- When they finally figured out how to make the TV work, they got one cable card to work properly in their TV. So, they put it into my Series 3 and called the same guy in the computer room and could not get it to work. In the meantime, they were trying to get a second CableCard to work in their TV.

Here's what happened: They were never able to get the second card to work in their TV. After quite a while waiting for the CableCard in my TiVo to be authorized, one of them suddenly realized that they had unhooked the cable connection from the back of the TiVo in order to connect it to their TV. No wonder they never got the CableCard to authorize in my TiVo. By this time, the guy in the computer room that they were working with left for the day. So, they announced that nothing more could be done, plugged the CableCard they could not get to work in their TV into the second slot on my TiVo and told me that I should just be patient, everything would be enabled later that day. (I knew better, but there was nothing I could do.)

Then this morning, the supervisor called me to see if things were working. I said they weren't. He then told me that they think they have it figured out . . . They need to get CableCard 1 working before installing CableCard 2. Not that they didn't hear that from me, the instruction sheet I handed them, the nice lady at TiVo support, and the fact that the first guy finally figured that out as well.

So, tomorrow yet another tech is supposed to show up in the morning to make this all work. I'm not betting the rent money...

Last edited by suaspont : 11-05-2007 at 09:24 PM.
suaspont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #2438
Bernardski

Question Time Warner McKinney TX Cable Cards

I just had Time Warner install an M cable card in my TiVo-HD. They have never been able to get the ESPN (780) or ESPN2 (785) channels to work. All of the other HD channels that I receive work fine. Actually, the ESPN & ESPN2 channels appear very briefly and then freeze. I have been told that these are non-encrypted channels as are the other HD channels I receive on the basic digital service. I have been able to find all of the other HD channels with my TVs QAM tuner. They have not been able to tell me the QAM channel for the ESPN & ESPN2. Does anyone know what they are?

The existing TW digital box I have receives 780 & 785 just fine so I do not believe it is a signal level problem. TW has run all over my house with a db meter and hot wired my TiVo directly and I still do not get ESPN or ESPN2.

Other technicians have started rumors that the TiVos have software issues that cause problems with the cable cards. Is this a known problem?

I just got dropped by the TW call I was on. I'll try this one more time.

Thanks for any help.
Bernardski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #2439
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaspont
This is getting silly -- it reminds me of the 3 Stooges.

So, when last we met, the TWC tech said that another tech would bring an amplifier on Friday night between 8 and 9. He neither called nor showed up. I'm glad I spent my Friday evening waiting on TWC instead of going out with my friends after work.

Then on Saturday, two new techs showed up with a CableCard equipped TV. Their goal was see if they could get the CableCards to work in it, which would demonstrate that the CableCards were at least working. Well, the two guys that showed up did not know anything about the TV they brought and spent about 2 hours trying to get it to work with a CableCard. Apparently, this TV was from another tech's truck and they didn't know anything about it.

Unlike the guy who had been showing up so far, these techs were able to call someone in the "computer room" -- When they finally figured out how to make the TV work, they got one cable card to work properly in their TV. So, they put it into my Series 3 and called the same guy in the computer room and could not get it to work. In the meantime, they were trying to get a second CableCard to work in their TV.

Here's what happened: They were never able to get the second card to work in their TV. After quite a while waiting for the CableCard in my TiVo to be authorized, one of them suddenly realized that they had unhooked the cable connection from the back of the TiVo in order to connect it to their TV. No wonder they never got the CableCard to authorize in my TiVo. By this time, the guy in the computer room that they were working with left for the day. So, they announced that nothing more could be done, plugged the CableCard they could not get to work in their TV into the second slot on my TiVo and told me that I should just be patient, everything would be enabled later that day. (I knew better, but there was nothing I could do.)

Then this morning, the supervisor called me to see if things were working. I said they weren't. He then told me that they think they have it figured out . . . They need to get CableCard 1 working before installing CableCard 2. Not that they didn't hear that from me, the instruction sheet I handed them, the nice lady at TiVo support, and the fact that the first guy finally figured that out as well.

So, tomorrow yet another tech is supposed to show up in the morning to make this all work. I'm not betting the rent money...
My experience with TWC Cincinnati was less hectic. The tech that came out was here for about 3 hours. The first card came right up, but tried two different cards in Slot 2. Was stuck at Updating Firmware. Another tech came out today with a fresh CC, stuck it in and 5 minutes later it was working as well. Asked about Mstream. Was told that they were for their cable boxes only. Will try at a later date. But for now, all is well. No complaints whatsoever.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #2440
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763
I forgot that we did an upgrade in Round Rock maybe a month and a half ago that has interrupted our psip data. The guide data works for customers in Austin.
I just checked last night. To review, I have analog cable (no cable cards) in Austin, TX. It turns out I do have guide data for the local networks + KLRU, all HD. However, with the exception of KLRU, I can't tune to any of them - I just get a gray screen.

So it seems my problem is the opposite of one of the other users here (I think he was a Round Rock, suburb of Austin, resident.) He can tune, but he gets no guide data. I get guide data, but I can't tune.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #2441
walrobin

Tivo and Time Warner in Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by josborne
I haven't ordered a S3 yet, but I did call TW here in Raleigh, NC. They charge 1.75 per card per month, but charge 49.99 installation per card. Anyone else here live in Raleigh get the same answer?
Our S2 Tivo is dying, so we ordered a S3 so we could finally use our HD TV with Tivo. I just sent the cable installer on his way after he informed us we can only get three HD channels with the cable cards.

He said in order to get the other HD channels we need to use their HD DVR. No thanks!
walrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #2442
lylo

After numerous problems with TWNYC and trying to get two cable cards to work consistantly on a S3 for more than a month, I have switched to RCN and their Motorola M cards. They worked immediately and I have had no problem with them at all. With the Scietific Atlanta S cards that Time Warner uses, I would lose all pay channels after a few weeks. Reseating and restarting didn't help, only switching the cards would fix the problem but a week to a month later the same problem would occur.

I may be writing this a bit prematurely, (I am knocking wood as I write this) but the Motorola cards have been completely trouble free. If you have the option to switch, I highly recommend it.

And as a side note, when I dropped my TW service, they seemed practically happy to see me go.

Last edited by lylo : 11-06-2007 at 10:37 AM.
lylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #2443
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrobin
Our S2 Tivo is dying, so we ordered a S3 so we could finally use our HD TV with Tivo. I just sent the cable installer on his way after he informed us we can only get three HD channels with the cable cards.

He said in order to get the other HD channels we need to use their HD DVR. No thanks!
Well... he wasnt entirely correct with that statement.... If he had said 'In addition to the 5 broadcast network HD channels you get 3 additional HD channels" then he would have been correct.

Raleigh gets 5 HD, 11 HD, 17 HD, 4 HD and 50 HD. In addition, we get Discovery HD Theater, TNT HD and ESPN HD. Their is uncertainty as to whether we will continue to get the extra cost HDNet, HDNet Movies and Mojo HD Channels. The cablecard letter didnt specifically say. We shoudl know in a couple weeks.......
Old 11-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #2444
gcorneau

Quote:
I forgot that we did an upgrade in Round Rock maybe a month and a half ago that has interrupted our psip data. The guide data works for customers in Austin.
Well that would explain why my other DVRs (Panasonic models that use TVGuide data) lost all their guide data and clock information.

For those who care, since I was going into the attic anyway to run a Cat5 line from the bedroom to the office with the Ethernet Switch and cable modem reside, I went ahead and put a splitter on my antenna and ran one line to the bedroom.

So now I have the guide data for the Cable (TWC analog) + OTA and am happy. Of course, the SO won't be happy until I patch up this hole in the wall...
gcorneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #2445
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcorneau
Well that would explain why my other DVRs (Panasonic models that use TVGuide data) lost all their guide data and clock information.

For those who care, since I was going into the attic anyway to run a Cat5 line from the bedroom to the office with the Ethernet Switch and cable modem reside, I went ahead and put a splitter on my antenna and ran one line to the bedroom.

So now I have the guide data for the Cable (TWC analog) + OTA and am happy. Of course, the SO won't be happy until I patch up this hole in the wall...
Duct tape.....
Old 11-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #2446
Clam_Alert

Tivo HD (TCD 652160) with TWC Manhattan

When I just called TWC Manhattan to ask about a cable card installation for the Tivo HD, they said they only have cards for the Series 3 (TCD648250A and B).

This just doesn't sound right to me and was likely more just a case of an uniformed CS representative reading off some operations manual. Has anyone in Manhattan (south) successfully had cable cards installed in their Tivo HD? By what I've read in this forum, the answer seems to be yes, but I'd like to hear it first hand. Also, any tips for a successful install (beyond having the install sheet at hand, writing down the card nos. etc.).

Thanks in advance.
Clam_Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #2447
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clam_Alert
When I just called TWC Manhattan to ask about a cable card installation for the Tivo HD, they said they only have cards for the Series 3 (TCD648250A and B).

This just doesn't sound right to me and was likely more just a case of an uniformed CS representative reading
Not only is that wrong, it's downright laughable as the whole point of cable cards is that there's a standard which allows you to use them in any set top box that supports them.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #2448
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clam_Alert

This just doesn't sound right to me and was likely more just a case of an uniformed CS representative reading off some operations manual. Has anyone in Manhattan (south) successfully had cable cards installed in their Tivo HD? By what I've read in this forum, the answer seems to be yes, but I'd like to hear it first hand. Also, any tips for a successful install (beyond having the install sheet at hand, writing down the card nos. etc.).

Thanks in advance.
Any CableCARD will work in the TiVoHD. Call back again and don't take no for an answer.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #2449
Clam_Alert

My thought exactly. I got them to schedule an appointment during that original call, but it took a lot of threats about their violating FCC regulations etc.

Thanks.
Clam_Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #2450
suaspont

Ok, the last chapter is yet to be written.

TW sent a supervisor today and he was very methodical and careful about trying to troubleshoot my CableCard installation problem. He brought a CableCard TV with him and he could not get it to work at first. He then measured some signal levels and determined that my signal level was low in a few places across the bandwidth. So, he brought an amplifier in from his truck and was able to get the CableCards to work in his TV almost instantly.

He then noticed something odd on my Series 3. I had been so focused on getting the digital channels to work that I hadn't bothered to look at the analog channels. The TiVo box was simply not receiving several of the analog channels (14 - 22 and 34 - 64 were missing). He noted that these channels correspond to the remapped cable channels (over the air these channel numbers are UHF stations). We called TiVo support, and the very patient and helpful Juan had us try a number of things and finally concluded that the TiVo Series 3 was defective. He authorized a replacement at no charge to me. He sent an email with the RMA number and a UPS prepaid label. So, in a while, I'll have another Series 3 to try to get the CableCards working in.

The TWC supervisor gave me his card with his direct line and promised that he would personally continue to work with me until this is all resolved.

So, this story will be on hiatus until UPS brings me a replacement box...
suaspont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #2451
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaspont
Ok, the last chapter is yet to be written.

TW sent a supervisor today and he was very methodical and careful about trying to troubleshoot my CableCard installation problem. He brought a CableCard TV with him and he could not get it to work at first. He then measured some signal levels and determined that my signal level was low in a few places across the bandwidth. So, he brought an amplifier in from his truck and was able to get the CableCards to work in his TV almost instantly.

He then noticed something odd on my Series 3. I had been so focused on getting the digital channels to work that I hadn't bothered to look at the analog channels. The TiVo box was simply not receiving several of the analog channels (14 - 22 and 34 - 64 were missing). He noted that these channels correspond to the remapped cable channels (over the air these channel numbers are UHF stations). We called TiVo support, and the very patient and helpful Juan had us try a number of things and finally concluded that the TiVo Series 3 was defective. He authorized a replacement at no charge to me. He sent an email with the RMA number and a UPS prepaid label. So, in a while, I'll have another Series 3 to try to get the CableCards working in.

The TWC supervisor gave me his card with his direct line and promised that he would personally continue to work with me until this is all resolved.

So, this story will be on hiatus until UPS brings me a replacement box...
Funny how TWC was so EVIL in not helping you when you find out your S3 is the culprit. Why aren't you suddenly trying to crucify Tivo? Did the tivo csr give you his card and direct extension so he could personally offer you help?
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #2452
cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrobin
I just sent the cable installer on his way after he informed us we can only get three HD channels with the cable cards.

Your cable installer was being an a**. This seems to be indemic with TW/Raleigh; they are under the impression that 3 SDV HD channels means cable cards are useless in UDCP devices. While you won't get much HD from them, there isn't much to be had. You'll get better HD from an antenna -- and you'll get all of the subchannels that TW doesn't bother to carry.

At any rate, you need the CC to enable and map all the other digital cable channels. TW/Raleigh encrypts everything that they legally can.

Oh yeah, and be sure to log a complaint with the FCC.
cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #2453
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramer
Your cable installer was being an a**. This seems to be indemic with TW/Raleigh; they are under the impression that 3 SDV HD channels means cable cards are useless in UDCP devices. While you won't get much HD from them, there isn't much to be had. You'll get better HD from an antenna -- and you'll get all of the subchannels that TW doesn't bother to carry.

At any rate, you need the CC to enable and map all the other digital cable channels. TW/Raleigh encrypts everything that they legally can.

Oh yeah, and be sure to log a complaint with the FCC.
Seems to me that the installer was pretty close to correct. He just didnt count the local HD's in the 'three' number. Does that make him an a55 deserving of an FCC complaint? Seems like an overreaction.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #2454
dlcrow

Quote:
I just checked last night. To review, I have analog cable (no cable cards) in Austin, TX. It turns out I do have guide data for the local networks + KLRU, all HD. However, with the exception of KLRU, I can't tune to any of them - I just get a gray screen.
Have you done a channel scan? I wonder if that is required for the TiVo to find the frequency and read the channel map information out of the stream.
dlcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #2455
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcrow
Have you done a channel scan? I wonder if that is required for the TiVo to find the frequency and read the channel map information out of the stream.
I'm afraid that I don't know what a channel scan is.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #2456
dlcrow

Quote:
I'm afraid that I don't know what a channel scan is.
See the thread at http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=10341488
Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #2457
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Thanks for that handy tip! I have not done a channel scan, but this evening I'll do one. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky few with HD channels, including guide data, but with no cable cards.

Edit: I see I just did my 14K YAMM.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #2458
dlcrow

Quote:
1) Are the 15xx channels stable enough (they've been on-again-off-again enough in the last year that I am not sure), and
Quote:
We know exactly what causes the maps to fail, so they will be stable for now on.
Well, unfortunately, they are failing again. A channel scan on my TiVo and my TV tonight has removed the 15xx mappings.

I can still tune to the direct frequencies (e.g. 84.2) and find all 5 of the HD locals, but not via the 15xx mappings.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #2459
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Thanks for that handy tip! I have not done a channel scan, but this evening I'll do one. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky few with HD channels, including guide data, but with no cable cards.

Edit: I see I just did my 14K YAMM.
I did this, and it added NBC, but it didn't add the other local networks. Oh well.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #2460
Norm_bone
Lord of the Turkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm_bone
Just moved from Nebraska to Ohio. (Ross Township, outside of Cincinnati)

Searching through the forums, it sounds like my best bet is to ask the CS to "initialize" the card that isn't working. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thank you!
UPDATE:

Still no joy. I was on hold for 2 hours last week, and the rep was very patient, tried initializing, but no luck.

TW scheduled a tech appointment. He was late, and spent 45 minutes with no results.

We have another appointment for tomorrow morning, and they're bringing a new card. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

---Norm

Marketing Weenie
Norm_bone is offline   Reply With Quote