TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

9.2 Big Switch Thrown

Hey guys, just a heads up that the big switch has been thrown for the 9.2 update. It'll take maybe a week or so and you should have the latest and greatest for your TiVo HD or Series3 DVR.

Cheers!
Pony
Old 11-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Hey guys, just a heads up that the big switch has been thrown for the 9.2 update. It'll take maybe a week or so and you should have the latest and greatest for your TiVo HD or Series3 DVR.

Cheers!
Pony
Hi Pony. Thanks for the heads up! Are there any apparent differences between the "final" v9.2 and v9.2.j?

Will the upgrade be delivered to Series 2's as well?

Thanks very much for keeping us up to speed.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
rmstone

does this mean I can buy an eSata for my TivoHD?
rmstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
TexasGrillChef

I got my 9.2 for my S3, but it hasn't come for my HD yet. I don't have an S2 so I don't know about those.

No noticable differences yet that I can tell.

TGC
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
Flappjakk

I'm confused, my TivoHD has 9.1-01-2-652 and my Series 3 has 9.1-01-2-648, neither of which look to me like 9.2, but I am able to use TivoToGo and Multiroom viewing with these two HD machines. Was the software always capable of TTG and MRV, just Tivo never turned it on until now?
Tivo HD, unmodified
Tivo HD, upgraded to 750GB
Flappjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flappjakk
I'm confused, my TivoHD has 9.1-01-2-652 and my Series 3 has 9.1-01-2-648, neither of which look to me like 9.2, but I am able to use TivoToGo and Multiroom viewing with these two HD machines. Was the software always capable of TTG and MRV, just Tivo never turned it on until now?
No. The 9.1 software brought the ability to the S3/THD, but it still had to be activated separately. Which it was, several weeks ago. 9.2 has nothing to do with TTG/MRV.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flappjakk
Correct.

The 9.2 software added official support for eSATA drive expansion. It also addressed (i.e. fixed) a number of issues with 9.1.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrillChef
I got my 9.2 for my S3, but it hasn't come for my HD yet. I don't have an S2 so I don't know about those.

No noticable differences yet that I can tell.

TGC
Curious, do you have v9.2 or v9.2.j on your S3?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmstone
does this mean I can buy an eSata for my TivoHD?
Yes, once you have v9.2 software you can connect the approved eSATA drive to your TiVo HD via plug and play.

All of the information you need can be found on bkdtv's thread...

Official eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion

Note: The TiVo website page w/the approved device was under maintenance during this post. You can also find it at Best Buy...

WD My Book DVR Expander @ Best Buy

This is currently the only eSATA drive that will work via P&P with the TiVo HD.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
The 9.2 software added official support for eSATA drive expansion. It also addressed (i.e. fixed) a number of issues with 9.1.
It also fixed a bunch of severe cable card related issues, which is of course specific to the S3/TiVoHD.

Also added progressive viewing of TiVoCast content (see it while it is downloading), including Unbox.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
tlc

I got 9.2a.B1-01-2-652 today.
Is that the "final"?

Last edited by tlc : 11-08-2007 at 08:52 AM.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #12
fred2

I apparently and unbeknownst to me, got it yesterday morning (having just checked). That's my s3.
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
doconeill
Unix Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc
I got 9.2a.B1-01-2-652 today.
Is that the "final"?
Yesterday, one of mine got 9.2a.B1. Overnight, the other got just 9.2a (no B1). Both are TivoHD.

I DID sign up for the 9.2 priority list, but did not receive 9.2J.

Retired:
HDR312 Standalone (128 hour, on loan)
SD-DVR80 (Zipper/160GB), DSR708 (Zipper/120GB), HDVR2 (Zipper/80GB)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
robingo88

got 9.2a on my S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill
Yesterday, one of mine got 9.2a.B1. Overnight, the other got just 9.2a (no B1). Both are TivoHD.

I DID sign up for the 9.2 priority list, but did not receive 9.2J.
like you i did sign up on the 9.2 priority list but did not receive 9.2J

but last night a forced sync with tivo got me

9.2a-B1-01-2-648

for my S3... everyone is talking about "9.2" so i'm wondering if they actually mean "9.2a"?

in any event, so far so good... it recognized my WD Green 1TB drive that had been mounted through kickstart, and now lists the drive's actual firmware in the TiVo System info screen... (comforting!)

cheers
r
robingo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #15
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Is there a list of updates/upgrades/enhancements/fixes in 9.2 compared to previous releases?
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #16
andyf

When 9.2 boots for the first time you will get a PTCM message listing the enhancements.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
njdtivo

I received 9.2 on my S3 earlier this week. Since the update I've had several ocassions where I have lost all video upon turning on the Tivo and TV. The sound is present but just a blank screen. My TV is connected to the S3 via HDMI. The only ways I have found to recover are to power off the TV and put the Tivo in standby or do a hard power reset on the Tivo.

I never experienced this prior to the 9.2 upgrade in almost a year of use.

Anyone else?
njdtivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #18
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloxiGeek
Is there a list of updates/upgrades/enhancements/fixes in 9.2 compared to previous releases?

No there is not. Tivo doesn't like to tell us what they have fixed in a release. They usually only list major new features. Once in a while one of the reps like TivoPony or TivoJerry will mention that a particular issue was fixed in a certain release, but that is usually all we get. We have begged and begged but they never budge on this. Tivo software releases are often a mystery that they let us figure out what they broke (like in 9.1) and what they have fixed (the HDMI issue I had with my Sony HDTV was fixed in 9.1 I have discovered)

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #19
VideoRod

Question Version 9.2a put ext. drive in Limbo

I received version 9.2a-01-2-648 on my Series 3 unit this morning and it has placed my external eSATA drive that I have been using for months into LIMBO.
- None of the shows show up it the Now Playing list.
- When I go to add it under the new menu option it says "The attached external storage device is already being used...".
- In the System Information window it correctly identifies the drive in the External Storage field.
- However, in the Recording Capacity field it only shows the original 32 HD hours of the internal S3 drive.
- I have restarted the TIVO several times.

I don't want to disconnect it and then add it again from scratch because then I will lose all of the shows I can't currently see, but that I know are on the drive. Anyone have any ideas?
VideoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #20
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoRod
I received version 9.2a-01-2-648 on my Series 3 unit this morning and it has placed my external eSATA drive that I have been using for months into LIMBO.
- None of the shows show up it the Now Playing list.
- When I go to add it under the new menu option it says "The attached external storage device is already being used...".
- In the System Information window it correctly identifies the drive in the External Storage field.
- However, in the Recording Capacity field it only shows the original 32 HD hours of the internal S3 drive.
- I have restarted the TIVO several times.

I don't want to disconnect it and then add it again from scratch because then I will lose all of the shows I can't currently see, but that I know are on the drive. Anyone have any ideas?
That is worrisome...and just the opposite of this poster's experience. Also the first time that I know of where an existing expansion drive wasn't recognized after an upgrade since May. When you say "restarted TiVo" do you mean using TiVo's menu system to restart the DVR or a hard reboot?

There's no reason this should make any difference, but have you tried a hard reboot on both TiVo and the eSATA drive - unplug both for 10 to 15 seconds and plug them back in? It would need to be done in the correct order, unplug TiVo first, then unplug the eSATA drive, wait, then plug the eSATA drive back in and then plug TiVo back in.

Worst case scenario, you could try turning off the eSATA drive while TiVo is plugged in. That should bring up this screen. Then, per the on screen directions, unplug TiVo, turn the drive back on and plug TiVo back in. This may cause it to recognize everything again.

Can you give us the specs of your eSATA drive? That may or may not have anything to do with it, but it would be good to start compiling some stats if this is going to be an issue.

Thanks and hopefully we can get this resolved.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #21
VideoRod

Restarted through the Tivo menu 3 times.

Rebooted the "Hard" way once. At your recommendation I'm doing it a second time. It's currently stuck on the "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." screen. It's been sitting on that screen for 17 minutes now... could it be jammed?

The external drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 drive that I originally bought as part of a DVR expansion kit for the Scientific Altanta 8300 cable/dvr box. Find it here: (UPDATE-The forum won't let me provide a link until I've posted five times)

In the spring I used the Kickstart hack to marry it to my S3. It has worked flawlessly for 6 months... till the 9.2a-01 update (not B1) that I received this morning. I never had the 9.2j update. I went straight from 9.1 to 9.2a
Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #22
VideoRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
Worst case scenario, you could try turning off the eSATA drive while TiVo is plugged in. That should bring up this screen. Then, per the on screen directions, unplug TiVo, turn the drive back on and plug TiVo back in. This may cause it to recognize everything again.
This didn't work either. Exactly the same as it was.

Does anyone else find it incredibly strange that in the System Information window it correctly identifies the drive in the External Storage field, but in the Recording Capacity field it only shows the original 32 HD hours of the internal S3 drive? It's like it sees it... but not really.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #23
bizzy

Hooray. Does the 9.2 final fix the 30-second skip you broke in 9.1?

Or should I wish for a unicorn while I'm at it?
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #24
robingo88

Just got a second service update (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robingo88
but last night a forced sync with tivo got me

9.2a-B1-01-2-648

for my S3... everyone is talking about "9.2" so i'm wondering if they actually mean "9.2a"?

cheers
r
posted this earlier this morning... just got home and found a "pending restart" on my system, so i did a manual restart and the software version now says

9.2a-01-2-248

wassup wit dat?

r
robingo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #25
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoRod
This didn't work either. Exactly the same as it was.

Does anyone else find it incredibly strange that in the System Information window it correctly identifies the drive in the External Storage field, but in the Recording Capacity field it only shows the original 32 HD hours of the internal S3 drive? It's like it sees it... but not really.
Boy, that's a tough one. It makes no sense that it can "see" the drive according to the System Info screen, but not list the recordings in the NP menu.

I think the reason it's hanging at the "Almost there" screen is due to the eSATA issue. That would normally last a couple of minutes. The only thing I can think of is that there's a problem with the eSATA drive itself. I'm assuming that you've checked the eSATA cable to ensure it's seated snugly at both ends.

On reboot is it still hanging at the "Almost there" screen? If not you could try running Kickstart 57 and/or 58 diagnostics or even KS 52 to download the software again and see if that will rectify the problem.

If it's still hanging about the only thing that you can probably do is divorce the drive and see if TiVo recovers normally. Per the TiVo Website:

Quote:
To safely disconnect the drive from a DVR, first unplug the DVR from its power source, wait 10 seconds, and then disconnect the DVR Expander. Disconnecting the DVR Expander, while the DVR is in use, will cause the DVR restart. It will not recover until the DVR Expander is reconnected and the DVR is subsequently restarted, or the drive is permanently removed.
Again, once you disconnect the eSATA drive this screen will appear. If you decide to divorce it (and it needs to be done properly) this screen will follow and then TiVo will automatically reboot.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #26
VideoRod

I'll try the Kickstart 57, 58, and 52 tricks and see if that works. Nothing else does. I've spent 4 1/2 hours so far. I don't want to divorce the drive because I really want to try and save what's on there!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #27
VideoRod

Just went through and did Kickstart 57, Kickstart 58, and Kickstart 52... in that order. No help. Tivo Software version 9.2a-01 killed my external drive that has been running flawlessly for 6 months. I'm so pissed.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #28
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Oh damn.... maybe I should unplug my S3 (w/ unofficial external eSATA) from my network until we figure out what is going on here. Losing my recordings off my practically full 750GB eSATA would be really bad.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #29
VideoRod

Is it possible to go back to version 9.1? If I call tech support can they make this happen?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #30
drwho

Question Just Got 9.2a This Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by robingo88
posted this earlier this morning... just got home and found a "pending restart" on my system, so i did a manual restart and the software version now says

9.2a-01-2-248

wassup wit dat?

r
Same thing happened to me, requested priority update. This morning my S3 got 9.2a.B1. Tryed to connect my new Seagate 750GB FreeAgent Pro drive with PNY eSATA cable (Best deal at my local Best Buy, only eSATA cable I could find in Nashville) No luck, didn't see it at all.

Hooked my Seagate drive to my PC via USB and deleted NTFS partition. Tried to connect to S3 again but no luck. Forced connection to TiVo and restarted, now I have 9.2a (No B1).

Still can't see my Seagate drive. Did 9.2a close the door to using non-verified drives on the S3, or do you think I have a bad eSATA cable?
drwho is offline   Reply With Quote