TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #331
Joybob

Theory: Only popular TV shows get pixelation.
Evidence: House MD always gets pixelation despite being SD while WealthTV comes through perfectly clear.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:00 PM   #332
Zathrus

We've been having intermittent pixelation and channel loss on both HD and digital cable channels for about a week now. On digital cable we tend to see macroblocking; on HD we see horizontal lines of pixelation and audio drop outs. In some cases it's gotten bad enough that we couldn't tune to some HD channels at all.

It's sporadic, such that the one time we've scheduled someone to come out we had to cancel the appointment -- two hours before the appointment it was awful, an hour before it was just fine.

This is on Charter cable in Roswell, GA. Seems to have started happening about the same time the S3 got the 9.2 update. Personally, I suspect the cable signal quality has gone down (with mild, but watchable pixelation we were seeing 54-59 signal quality and 26 dB SNR), but I wanted to see if anyone else was seeing anything like this.
Zathrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:16 AM   #333
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
Theory: Only popular TV shows get pixelation.
Evidence: House MD always gets pixelation despite being SD while WealthTV comes through perfectly clear.
If you have FiOS, add one or two attenuators to eliminate the problem.

Pack of attenuators for $12.99
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:47 AM   #334
joysmahal

pixelation on 9.2 w/OTA

I use my THD with regular analog cable and OTA antenna. I've had it for about a month and I had no issues with the OTA HD channels before.

When I updated to 9.2 last week, I'm getting a lot of pixelation/macroblocking. It's pretty annoying. If I switch tuners and use my internal tuner on my TV (Sony Bravia XBR1), the digital channels picked up through the QAM tuner are just fine. I'm only having problems now with OTA since I updated to 9.2
joysmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:16 AM   #335
madoverlord

This is very interesting. I was getting the "freeze/fastforward" problems every 5-10 mins with 9.1 (and started seeing a lot more digital hits when 9.0 came out). But since I got 9.2, this issue has almost totally gone away - I only see an occasional minor digital hit, maybe one per hour or so.

I have a good signal, 93-95 on the meter, 35db.
madoverlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:43 AM   #336
SDJack

Most of my issues fixed with 9.2.J

I seem to be having a similar experience as Madoverlord... I was getting occasional brief HD macroblocking and audio dropouts about every 10 min with 8.3 (S3, 2 SA S-cards), then it changed to the "jump-ahead" thing about the same frequency with 9.1. Now, with 9.2.J, I've watched many hours of stuff recorded with no macroblocking or skips.

For the fellow with the ~55 signal strength, I'd say that is too low... time to call your cable tech and see if you can get that signal up in the 90s.

Last edited by SDJack : 11-01-2007 at 11:42 AM.
SDJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #337
srcohen

Just want a add a weird pixelation resolution.
Have 9.1; Series III; 750MG Seagate External.
Wanted to add antenna-accessible channels, so added a cable line out from the tivo to antenna. Prior to this had zero pixelation problems.
Immediately began to see pixelation on digital channels - though not on hd channels. Got so bad that many digital channels were black screen!
Disconnected the out-cable and pixelation went away immediately.
Anyone have an explanation??
srcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #338
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcohen
Just want a add a weird pixelation resolution.
Have 9.1; Series III; 750MG Seagate External.
Wanted to add antenna-accessible channels, so added a cable line out from the tivo to antenna. Prior to this had zero pixelation problems.
Immediately began to see pixelation on digital channels - though not on hd channels. Got so bad that many digital channels were black screen!
Disconnected the out-cable and pixelation went away immediately.
Anyone have an explanation??
That has been discussed before. Cable and OTA share the same frequencies. If the signal strength of the antenna is high then it could interfere with the cable signal and cause problems. To be definitive, you could go into the diagnostic menu while watching a channel with the problem and watch the SNR when you add and remove the antenna cable. You will probably see the SNR drop with the antenna attached. You could attenuate the antenna and have it work OK.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:42 AM   #339
gibbyscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
That has been discussed before. Cable and OTA share the same frequencies. If the signal strength of the antenna is high then it could interfere with the cable signal and cause problems. To be definitive, you could go into the diagnostic menu while watching a channel with the problem and watch the SNR when you add and remove the antenna cable. You will probably see the SNR drop with the antenna attached. You could attenuate the antenna and have it work OK.

Ugg... I tried this and no effect.... still pixel like crazy. I have FIOS and I am having pixel on only 5 HD channels... the rest are fine... it is driving me crazy... TivoHD with 9.2j
gibbyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #340
Daxel

So... I tried an attenuator. I got the pack of 3, 6, 9, 10, 20. None of them seem to do anything. The signal strength on the HD channels hovers in around 66-72, the non-HD Channels are (with attenuator) at 90+.

Should I consider replacing the entire interior cable run? I have FIOS, so the box is in my house. If I am replacing the cable, which brand/type of COAX has the least loss?

Is this problem caused by the Tivo? Is it just that sensitive? Why does it only appear "sometimes" and on on some channels?

Thanks for any input.
Daxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #341
BigFrank

I too have been having problems (since about 9.1) with freezing/fast forward and even more notably occasionally it wont record a show - claiming signal was lost.

Yesterday it was recording a show (probably about 2/3 of the way through - i actually saw the show playing so it had good video for a while) and when I looked for it later on it was nowhere to be found. It was listed in the to-do-list as not recorded due to lack of video signal!!! Even if that were so, why did it delete the show after it had a significant chunk recorded?
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #342
esmtexas

Arrow TiVo Series III w/9.1 more pixelization problems

I have FiOS and have always had three HD channels with so much pixel... we cannot watch. verizon changed cables even between a Verizon HD box I had, still no change. I pretty much dont watch those three HD channels. Now, since 9.1 we are getting random/multiple pizelization on MANY SD channels.

This MUST be a TiVo issue, not FiOS since the problem got worse with the upgrade to 9.1. Is it time to throw out TiVO if they can't get this right?
esmtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #343
Daxel

So... I fixed the problem. All of the problems.
If you go to the diagnostics of your cards, watch the signal strengths. If they are not 90-100, you might get pixelization and skipping. Fortunately for me, there is a good AV shop near my house, and I got a long very high quality coax cable. I connected it to the FIOS box and my Tivo, and watched as the signal went from 62-80 (fluctuating) to 95 or 100 on HD. I do not know why the cable I had already run in the house wasn't good enough, but it wasn't. I re-ran high quality cables with compression fittings (yes, the good ones with the $40 tool to apply them). I have a single signal booster at the FIOS box now that splits the cable into 3 lengths. 1 to the cable modem, 1 to each HD Tivo. No other splitters, all cables under 100' in length. I watched and recorded from the channels that ALWAYS had problems last night, and they were completely clean and clear. I watched the signal strengths, and they remained constant. I was talking to one of my neighbors, and although he does not have a HD Tivo, his HD was doing the same thing before he also re-ran cables about two months ago (should have talked to him sooner).
I don't know if everyone's problem can be fixed in this matter, but it cannot hurt to try. By the way, the attenuators from a post further up were totally the wrong thing for me. However, if you are overamping the signal, you might need an attenuator to bring it back in line.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #344
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxel
I do not know why the cable I had already run in the house wasn't good enough, but it wasn't.
There seems to be some real crap out there sold as co-ax. I just installed a whole bunch, it got buried in the walls when we were remodelling. Some of them, including all the ones run to the TiVo were just crap, and wouldn't pass a signal. If I turned the amplifier up to +15db I get a detectable signal on the TiVo, if I run a good cable directly from the cable entry to the TiVo I get strengths of 100.

With the cables buried in the wall it makes it very difficult to replace the cable.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #345
richsadams

Quote:
So... I fixed the problem. All of the problems.
If you go to the diagnostics of your cards, watch the signal strengths. If they are not 90-100, you might get pixelization and skipping. Fortunately for me, there is a good AV shop near my house, and I got a long very high quality coax cable. I connected it to the FIOS box and my Tivo, and watched as the signal went from 62-80 (fluctuating) to 95 or 100 on HD. I do not know why the cable I had already run in the house wasn't good enough, but it wasn't. I re-ran high quality cables with compression fittings (yes, the good ones with the $40 tool to apply them). I have a single signal booster at the FIOS box now that splits the cable into 3 lengths. 1 to the cable modem, 1 to each HD Tivo. No other splitters, all cables under 100' in length. I watched and recorded from the channels that ALWAYS had problems last night, and they were completely clean and clear. I watched the signal strengths, and they remained constant. I was talking to one of my neighbors, and although he does not have a HD Tivo, his HD was doing the same thing before he also re-ran cables about two months ago (should have talked to him sooner).
I don't know if everyone's problem can be fixed in this matter, but it cannot hurt to try. By the way, the attenuators from a post further up were totally the wrong thing for me. However, if you are overamping the signal, you might need an attenuator to bring it back in line.
Thanks for the detailed account of your coax cable experience. I've posted comparable advice and received a good deal of push back for some reason...that it had to be TiVo, couldn't be anything else. TiVo demands a good, clean signal to work properly.

Our story was quite similar. Comcast had run new coax and we had even purchased some new coax from one of the bigger department stores which turned out to be of terrible quality. Once we had invested in some decent coax cable (from Fryís) any macroblocking we had on our S3 was almost completely eliminated. There will always be slight problems from the source but the difference was remarkable.

Itís probably not a fix for everyone, but itís a good place to start.

Thanks again!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #346
Phantom Gremlin

The cables Comcast installed for me were very high quality with uniform compression fittings (not the inferior hex crimp).

Doubtlessly the quality varies from city to city and from installer to installer.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #347
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin
The cables Comcast installed for me were very high quality with uniform compression fittings (not the inferior hex crimp).

Doubtlessly the quality varies from city to city and from installer to installer.
Good point, and to be fair Comcast only replaced the coax from the wall to TiVo. We ended up replacing everything, so the short amount that they had replaced may have been fine. The aggravating part was that we thought it was a TiVo problem for a while as well.

We replaced a Comcast (POS) HD DVR with the S3...and immediately saw macroblocking and audio issues. The Comcast tech said the signal was perfectly fine...based on his measurements and the fact that there was no macroblocking on the Comcast DVR. Once we replaced the rest of the coax the problem was resolved, even though they had said the signal was fine. It may have been acceptable to the Moto DVR (and Comcast), but it obviously wasn't adequate for TiVo.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #348
PieThief

I am still having problems with my S3 + Fios.

I've had FIOS TV for a couple years, at first we had their horrible STB. However, while the UI was bad, the picture/audio was perfect 100% of the time. We purchased a S3 because I missed my S2 but and wanted Tivo while recording HD.

Had a lot of problems with 'pixelization' or whatever. It's so difficult to know by what people type if we're describing the same problems. Basically, it looks like the picture someone posted a few pages back in this thread and it's accompanied by corresponding audio drop outs. However unlike people who claim it happens a couple times an hour, with us, if it's happening it's happening every second or three, rendering a show completely unwatchable (and unlistenable).

We have run the gamut of things. Verizon testing signal strength. ("Perfect"). Resetting cable cards. Replacing cable cards. Replacing ONT box outside the house. Had the S3 tivo replaced for another one (same issue.)

The interesting thing is I discovered pretty early on that if I removed the Tivo from the setup and plugged the cable cards directly into my TV and just tuned from the TV, the signal was perfect 100% of the time. So, it's some issue with TiVo, or TiVo + FIOS but I'm not sure what. I just know that I've had perfect signals directly tuning through my TV with the cable cards, or the STB from FIOS, but plugging the same cards into the TiVO leads to crap.

Like some people, it sure seems that this happens a lot more during must see TV. I have totally missed this season of Heros because the first episode was completely fubar. The problem has gotten much worse and it seems like for the last week or so, nearly all channels are affected and I have just stopped watching TV.

I'm just angry because I paid $699 or whatever for the S3, then another $200 to transfer my lifetime to it, and I can't watch TV... or it's so horrible that I don't want to. I'm not a super uptight tv wanker either, if something occasionally skips or whatever, that's fine. But if I cannot watch one complete question being asked by larry king without the audio & picture dropping out 3 times that is unacceptable.

I've gotten to the point of just not trying anymore because I just don't have the time available to dedicate more half days off work to fix this problem. I am practically to the point of calling comcast up and trying to see if I get the problem with them, but I love the FIOS TV package (in theory) so much I really want to be able to watch it.
PieThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #349
Daxel

PieThief - what is the signal strength on the cable cards when they are in the Tivo?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #350
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieThief
I am still having problems with my S3 + Fios.

I've had FIOS TV for a couple years, at first we had their horrible STB. However, while the UI was bad, the picture/audio was perfect 100% of the time. We purchased a S3 because I missed my S2 but and wanted Tivo while recording HD.

Had a lot of problems with 'pixelization' or whatever. It's so difficult to know by what people type if we're describing the same problems. Basically, it looks like the picture someone posted a few pages back in this thread and it's accompanied by corresponding audio drop outs. However unlike people who claim it happens a couple times an hour, with us, if it's happening it's happening every second or three, rendering a show completely unwatchable (and unlistenable).

We have run the gamut of things. Verizon testing signal strength. ("Perfect"). Resetting cable cards. Replacing cable cards. Replacing ONT box outside the house. Had the S3 tivo replaced for another one (same issue.)

The interesting thing is I discovered pretty early on that if I removed the Tivo from the setup and plugged the cable cards directly into my TV and just tuned from the TV, the signal was perfect 100% of the time. So, it's some issue with TiVo, or TiVo + FIOS but I'm not sure what. I just know that I've had perfect signals directly tuning through my TV with the cable cards, or the STB from FIOS, but plugging the same cards into the TiVO leads to crap.

Like some people, it sure seems that this happens a lot more during must see TV. I have totally missed this season of Heros because the first episode was completely fubar. The problem has gotten much worse and it seems like for the last week or so, nearly all channels are affected and I have just stopped watching TV.

I'm just angry because I paid $699 or whatever for the S3, then another $200 to transfer my lifetime to it, and I can't watch TV... or it's so horrible that I don't want to. I'm not a super uptight tv wanker either, if something occasionally skips or whatever, that's fine. But if I cannot watch one complete question being asked by larry king without the audio & picture dropping out 3 times that is unacceptable.

I've gotten to the point of just not trying anymore because I just don't have the time available to dedicate more half days off work to fix this problem. I am practically to the point of calling comcast up and trying to see if I get the problem with them, but I love the FIOS TV package (in theory) so much I really want to be able to watch it.
Have you tried the multiple suggestions of attenuating the signal? This has seemed to work for almost everyone who thinks they have a good signal - it's usually too strong with FIOS.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #351
bkdtv

As noted above, the pixelization on FiOS has an easy fix. You just install an attenuator.

Calling Verizon rarely does any good, because they take one look at the signal and say it is perfect. But in many cases, a "perfect" signal for Motorola boxes is too strong for the TiVo.

I'm starting to think we make this information a sticky. People call TiVo, call Verizon, request RMAs, schedule FiOS appointments, etc and that is all a waste of time. The box is not defective and the FiOS signal is perfectly fine for the Motorola boxes, but too strong for the TiVo. In most cases, the one and only fix is to screw a $2 attenuator onto the end of the cable. This fix takes approximately 60 seconds.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #352
bkdtv

Pixelization with Verizon FiOS: How to Fix

Background

FiOS uses several different ONTs which provide an average signal level of +12dB to +18 dB to +24 dB. Output from the most widely used ONT (Motorola 612) is +18 dB on most channels. Output with older installations (Motorola 611) is up to +24dB.

For some reason, the output on many ONTs (or some COs?) is not linear. The output might be +14dB to +16dB on most channels, but +20 dB on others.

Verizon installers are instructed to add an attenuator to reduce the signal down to +5 dB. Some do, some don't, as the Motorola STBs and DVRs tend to work fine with mosts signals of +10 dB or less.

The Problem

Installers are taught that a signal level of +5dB is excellent. That signal is fine for the Motorola boxes, but in many cases, it is too strong for the TiVo.

With a signal level of +5dB, the majority of channels will be fine on the Tivo, but many may exhibit intermittent pixelization. On these channels, RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected errors increment rapidly, SNR fluctuates, and signal strength fluctuates between 100 and a lower number (such as 50).

Even with a signal level of +0dB, some channels may exhibit intermittent pixelization. In my experience, 90-95% of FiOS channels are fine with a signal level of +0 dB, but that signal level is still too strong on perhaps 5-10% of channels.

I attribute this to non-linear output from the ONT -- most channels may be +0dB but others in different frequency ranges may be +5dB higher (or more). It is these channels with higher signal levels that exhibit pixelization. FiOS uses the same frequency ranges for locals, RSNs, and other cable channels on every system across the country. It is common for the local HD channels to be in the frequencies with a higher signal level.

More often than not, calling Verizon FiOS support is not a solution, because installers take one look at the +5dB signal level and conclude that the signal is fine -- just as they are trained to do. Verizon installers do have attenuators, but they don't attenuate the signal further because they are trained on the requirements of the Motorola boxes, not the TiVos.

The Solution

The solution is to further reduce signal strength to -6dB or lower by adding an attenuator to the end of the coax cable. This does not affect the FiOS channels with lower signals levels, but it eliminates the pixelization on FiOS channels with higher signal levels. It takes about 60 seconds to install an attenuator.

Steps to Fix
  1. Order a pack of attenuators. These screw on to the end of the coax.

http://www.smarthome.com/7800.html

2. Find a channel with pixelization.

3. Once you've found a channel with pixelization, open Settings -> System Information -> Diagnostics. With this screen, you can monitor your SNR and number of RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected errors.

Your goal is to completely eliminate the RS Uncorrected errors and the fluctuation in the SNR. A few occasional RS Corrected errors are fine; it is the RS Uncorrected Errors that indicate pixelization.

4. Disconnect the coax cable from the TiVo.

Note the process of disconnecting and reconnecting the coax will result in a lot of RS Uncorrected and RS Corrected errors, but don't worry about that. Only worry about errors that increment after the cable is firmly connected.

5. Most seem to require -10dB to -16dB of new attenuation. I would start with -16dB. Screw one -10dB attenuator and one -6dB attenuator onto the end of the coax cable. Then reconnect the coax back to the TiVo.

6. Is the problem fixed? Wait 60 seconds. Have the RS Uncorrected errors stopped incrementing on the Diagnostics screen?

7. If not, disconnect the coax again and repeat step five using one -10dB attenuator and one -2dB attenuator.

Is the problem fixed? Wait 60 seconds. Have the RS Uncorrected errors stopped incrementing on the Diagnostics screen?

8. If not, disconnect the coax again and repeat step five using a single -10dB attenuator.

Is the problem fixed? Wait 60 seconds. Have the RS Uncorrected errors stopped incrementing on the Diagnostics screen?

9. If not, disconnect the coax again and repeat step five using a single -6dB attenuator.

10. By now, the problem will be fixed.

Last edited by bkdtv : 11-17-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #353
PieThief

Quote:
PieThief - what is the signal strength on the cable cards when they are in the Tivo?
When it's working it's rock solid anywhere between 95-100, usually in the 98-100 range. When it's messed up it's pinging between these values and usually something in the 80's or 70's. When I was trying to solve this issue months ago I did notice the problem channels appeared to be in a certain frequency range (which makes sense given the explanation I'm reading here).

If I recall, the Verizon tech said our signal was +0db. I'm definitely willing to try anything though and although I missed the attenuator post, I am going to stop up at Fry's and see if I can buy some to try out tonight.

My display for corrected / uncorrected errors both display "Not Available" or something to that effect. So, I'm not sure that information will be available to me as I try the attenuators. I do see the display for SNR and it is showing values in the 30s (usually pinging around a little bit.) Is there a typical value that is 'good' for SNR on TiVo?

I will post an update if I find out more. I did stop by Best Buy and picked up a TiVo HD just to try it out and see if the problem happened on that box as well.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #354
bkdtv

Quote:
My display for corrected / uncorrected errors both display "Not Available" or something to that effect. So, I'm not sure that information will be available to me as I try the attenuators.
If you have software 9.x, you should see that information on the Diagnostics screen. I'm not sure it was available on releases prior to that.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #355
PieThief

I hit Fry's and two separate Radio Shacks and struck out. I may have to order them online. Will post results when I get them.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #356
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I hit Fry's and two separate Radio Shacks and struck out. I may have to order them online. Will post results when I get them.
You can use a splitter as an attenuator and do some testing till the 'real things' arrive. An 8 way splitter is basically an 11db attenuator.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #357
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Pixelization with Verizon FiOS: How to Fix

Background

FiOS uses several different ONTs which provide an average signal level of +12dB to +18 dB to +24 dB. Output from the most widely used ONT (Motorola 612) is +18 dB on most channels. Output with older installations (Motorola 611) are up to +24dB.

For some reason, the output on many ONTs (or some COs?) is not linear. The output might be +14dB to +16dB on most channels, but +20 dB on others.

Verizon installers are instructed to add an attenuator to reduce the signal down to +5 dB. Some do, some don't, as the Motorola STBs and DVRs tend to work fine with mosts signals of +10 dB or less.

The Problem

Installers are taught that a signal level of +5dB is excellent. That signal is fine for the Motorola boxes, but in many cases, it is too strong for the TiVo.

With a signal level of +5dB, the majority of channels will be fine on the Tivo, but many may exhibit intermittent pixelization. On these channels, RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected errors increment rapidly, SNR fluctuates, and signal strength fluctuates between 100 and a lower number (such as 50).

Even with a signal level of +0dB, some channels may exhibit intermittent pixelization. In my experience, 90-95% of FiOS channels are fine with a signal level of +0 dB, but that signal level is still too strong on perhaps 5-10% of channels.

I attribute this to non-linear output from the ONT -- most channels may be +0dB but others in different frequency ranges may be +5dB higher (or more). It is these channels with higher signal levels that exhibit pixelization. FiOS uses the same frequency ranges for locals, RSNs, and other cable channels on every system across the country. It is common for the local HD channels to be in the frequencies with a higher signal level.

More often than not, calling Verizon FiOS support is not a solution, because installers take one look at the +5dB signal level and conclude that the signal is fine -- just as they are trained to do. Verizon installers do have attenuators, but they don't attenuate the signal further because they are trained on the requirements of the Motorola boxes, not the TiVos.

The Solution

The solution is to further reduce signal strength to -6dB or lower by adding an attenuator to the end of the coax cable. This does not affect the FiOS channels with lower signals levels, but it eliminates the pixelization on FiOS channels with higher signal levels. It takes about 60 seconds to install an attenuator.

Steps to Fix
  1. Order a pack of attenuators. These screw on to the end of the coax.

http://www.smarthome.com/7800.html

2. Find a channel with pixelization.

3. Once you've found a channel with pixelization, open Settings -> System Information -> Diagnostics. With this screen, you can monitor your SNR and number of RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected errors.

Your goal is to completely eliminate the RS Uncorrected errors and the fluctuation in the SNR. A few occasional RS Corrected errors are fine; it is the RS Uncorrected Errors that indicate pixelization.

4. Disconnect the coax cable from the TiVo.

Note the process of disconnecting and reconnecting the coax will result in a lot of RS Uncorrected and RS Corrected errors, but don't worry about that. Only worry about errors that increment after the cable is firmly connected.

5. Most seem to require -10dB to -16dB of new attenuation. I would start with -16dB. Screw one -10dB attenuator and one -6dB attenuator onto the end of the coax cable. Then reconnect the coax back to the TiVo.

6. Is the problem fixed? Wait 60 seconds. Have the RS Uncorrected errors stopped incrementing on the Diagnostics screen?

7. If not, disconnect the coax again and repeat step four using one -10dB attenuator and one -2dB attenuator.

8. If not, disconnect the coax again and repeat step four using a single -10dB attenuator.

9. If not, disconnect the coax again and repeat step four using a single -6dB attenuator.

10. By now, the problem will be fixed.
Agreed, this should be placed on its own thread as a sticky.

Nice work!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #358
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
You can use a splitter as an attenuator and do some testing till the 'real things' arrive. An 8 way splitter is basically an 11db attenuator.
Heck, I had a cheapo two-way splitter that was 8db.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #359
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
Heck, I had a cheapo two-way splitter that was 8db.
It was marked at -8 per port? or was that its acutal effect? A 2way should be minus 3.5db. Sometimes they are labeled -4db.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #360
PieThief

I found many splitters and started putting them together. It did not help. I think I had two 3.5 splitters, a 7 splitter and an 11...

But I did discover something interesting. When I plugged the TiVo HD in (the new one we picked up today) the signal was not messed up. I looked at the diagnostics and the signal strength is rock solid 100. Switch everything (coax, HDMI, cable cards) back to the S3 and it's 100->77->95->60->90->etc... the signal strength changes approximately once per second. I have found two channels that it's happening on really badly right now for S3, and I switch over and it's perfect with the HD. So I guess I'm going to have to call TiVo again. I'll watch for a little while longer with the new box to be sure but I haven't seen it mess up once yet.