Originally Posted by Da Goon
You could try this.
It's customizable and should work well in your case. I've used it for all my 6.3x upgrades.
Thanks for the link. I believe I've just managed a manual upgrade.
I think I've successfully upgraded and things seem to be working as before (telnet, TWP and streaming video). The real test will see if I can get through a few days of CBS primetime without any reboots and hopefully 6.3e won't introduce any new problems.
I'll put some of my notes down here, in case they can help anyone else. My system is an HR10-250 6.3c which I upgraded to 6.3e.
This is not a complete guide and you'll have to do some thinking for yourself, depending on your hacks and directories. These are just notes, NOT a complete step-by-step of every single command. I disavow any responsibility if you screw things up.
I started with this old (and slightly outdated) DDB guide as a template:
xxxxxxxxxxxx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51121 (thanks to cokekid)
The step numbers below refer to the steps in the link above
1) I got the 6.3e into my /SwSystem by forcing a call as explained in my earlier post (above). After the 6.3e file was on my system, I undid all the edits to block calls again.
2) add these changes if they are not already in your existing file
3) installSw.itcl 6.3e-01-2-357
4) do this
5) do this
6) On this step I made a lot of changes based on my system. You'll have to look at your directories and figure out what you need to do.
Basically, I found 6 directories that had hacks and created then on the new boot partition, then copied them over. DO NOT just copy these commands if you have different directories.
cd into each of these directories on the old partition and:
cp -r * /mnt/busybox
cp -r * /mnt/enhancements
cp -r * /mnt/hacks
cp -r * /mnt/var/hack
cp -r * /mnt/var/mfs_ftp
cp -r * /mnt/var/TWP
chmod 755 all copied directories
I followed the renaming of iptables
, but then instead of his echo command, I did the following:
cp /sbin/iptables /mnt/sbin/iptables
chmod 755 iptables
7) I skipped this step. I think my copied rc.sysinit.author was fine as-is.
8) Do the first 4 commands to make a backup of tivoapp, but DO NOT
do any of the echo commands. The patch locations are changed in 6.3e. These are the new ones for 6.3e that I found in another thread (thanks to the original poster):
6.3e tivoapp patches
echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=1601872
echo -ne "\x10\x40\x00\x2b" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6717416
echo -ne "\x24\x10\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=2804964
echo -ne "\x34\x11\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=903776
echo -ne "\x24\x10\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=1118188
echo -ne "\x10\x00\x00\x14" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=5704588
9) do all these steps (and cross your fingers)
That's it. Good luck!