TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #211
hkancyr

Got my TiVo expander hooked up on my THD. I followed the directions in the WD book and it worked. I had a blinking green light when I first plugged the TiVo back in, then I replugged it and got the solid green. 86 hours HD 810 SD, that should be sufficient.
P.S. re: restarting the TiVo, after you mount the expander it reboots anyhow, so if you do it the approved way it restarts twice, once for the plug once for the reboot.
hkancyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #212
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman
Hey Rich . . . I liked your other picture better. It was a much better likeness!

I am still without the 9.2 upgrade as I tried again this morning. I called Tivo again with no suggestions other than to fill out the priority request form again. I did but hopefully that won't put me at the back end of the Tivo queue, (it stinks back there!)
That's pretty strange. IIRC they only download the Priority Page info 1x/day...but it's been a week now. Well, I guess it hasn't been 7 business days...but still.

Oh, that's just a picture of my evil twin...I'm really much better looking!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #213
thxman
Advanced Member

Success! I'm happy to report that the additional request must have done something because I recv'd an email from Tivo stating that I had my download waiting. I installed not problems and added the WD My DVR drive without a hitch (very smooth process)! 98 hours of beautiful HD space... Life is good!! Thanks also for the tip about unplugging the S3, as the power-up detected the drive right away.

Thanks again Rich!

Kevin
thxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:27 AM   #214
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman
Success! I'm happy to report that the additional request must have done something because I recv'd an email from Tivo stating that I had my download waiting. I installed not problems and added the WD My DVR drive without a hitch (very smooth process)! 98 hours of beautiful HD space... Life is good!! Thanks also for the tip about unplugging the S3, as the power-up detected the drive right away.

Thanks again Rich!

Kevin
Phew! About time eh? As we like to say...enjoy the new real estate!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:14 AM   #215
Dave in Phoenix

[quote]I'm having trouble finding any reasonable source for the Hitachi Cinemastar 1TB drive/QUOTE]

I have been very happy with this drive, in the Antec enclosure with SIIG cable.

Currently available at (well says I can't post link) but at priceguidenetwork.
About $330, I paid a bit more a few months ago.

Software is now 9.1
Shows I have 165 hrs of HD and 1561 SD

Last edited by Dave in Phoenix : 11-02-2007 at 05:26 AM.
Dave in Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #216
rrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
I would recommend the WD10EACS instead. Same 3-year warranty, better RMA process, cooler, quieter, and lower power.
Thanks.

So you would still prefer the WD despite the fact that (according to the FAQ) it's neither "intended for DVRs" nor "certified for 24/7 use"?

Is this the "WD 1 TB Green" drive that's mentioned elsewhere in this forum?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #217
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg
Is this the "WD 1 TB Green" drive that's mentioned elsewhere in this forum?
Yes.

It isn't sold as a DVR drive, but it seems to be working well for many forum members, which is why I added it to the list.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #218
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

I have been trying to get a TiVo HD to boot using Buffalo DriveStation Quattro connected to the eSata port. The DriveStation is the only drive and is ultimately connected to the internal SATA port on the MBD.

I've been able to use the same cabling to boot using a bare SATA drive...thus I don't think the cabling is the problem. I've also used the DriveStation on the PC (via USB-SATA adapter) to confirm its eSata port is working.

I've tried the DriveStation both in RAID 5 and JBOD modes ...

The TiVo HD only gets to the initial powering up screen, then repeats every couple minutes. There are a couple brief disk accesses during the process. No GSOD.

The DriveStation's eSATA port is a SATA 1 device and it actually uses 4 PATA drives internally. So I am wondering if the TiVo HD detects whether its drive(s) interfaces are SATA II and rejects them, and/or whether there is a speed/timing issue that trips it up.

Any ideas for getting this to work?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #219
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
As per the first post, if you want to add something other than the Western Digital My DVR Expander to the TivoHD, you'll have to marry the internal drive and eSATA drive using WinMFS.

Or are you saying that it does not work, even after you married the two with WinMFS?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #220
richsadams

Quote:
I have been trying to get a TiVo HD to boot using Buffalo DriveStation Quattro connected to the eSata port. The DriveStation is the only drive and is ultimately connected to the internal SATA port on the MBD.

I've been able to use the same cabling to boot using a bare SATA drive...thus I don't think the cabling is the problem. I've also used the DriveStation on the PC (via USB-SATA adapter) to confirm its eSata port is working.

I've tried the DriveStation both in RAID 5 and JBOD modes ...

The TiVo HD only gets to the initial powering up screen, then repeats every couple minutes. There are a couple brief disk accesses during the process. No GSOD.

The DriveStation's eSATA port is a SATA 1 device and it actually uses 4 PATA drives internally. So I am wondering if the TiVo HD detects whether its drive(s) interfaces are SATA II and rejects them, and/or whether there is a speed/timing issue that trips it up.

It's probably a contamination issue...all of that blood can gum up the works when you're that far out on the edge.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #221
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
As per the first post, if you want to add something other than the Western Digital My DVR Expander to the TivoHD, you'll have to marry the internal drive and eSATA drive using WinMFS.

Or are you saying that it does not work, even after you married the two with WinMFS?
Actually, I prepare the DriveStation as a single TiVo drive with WinMFS. I am plugging it into the internal SATA port on the motherboard, either directly or going through the HD's eSATA port. Connected those ways, with the same cables, bare SATA drives boot normally, but DriveStation doesn't.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #222
bkdtv

Quote:
Actually, I prepare the DriveStation as a single TiVo drive with WinMFS. I am plugging it into the internal SATA port on the motherboard, either directly or going through the HD's eSATA port. Connected those ways, with the same cables, bare SATA drives boot normally, but DriveStation doesn't.
Ahh, I see that now. Read your first post too quickly.

Don't know what that doesn't work. IIIRC, Spike2k5 did use a RAID to successfully expand the Tivo.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #223
thilt

HD Tivo - Sorry I don't have any advice for your problem. Was wondering if you (or anyone else) knows whether the Drive Station Quatro would work "as is" as an expander with a stock Series3? I have had good suucess with another Buffalo product on a different DVR (Moxi) that requires a USB connection. Thanks.
thilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #224
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg
So you would still prefer the WD despite the fact that (according to the FAQ) it's neither "intended for DVRs" nor "certified for 24/7 use"?
Yes. The WD 1TB drive is the only 1TB drive I would use for TiVo. Those two parameters are not important at all when I shop for a drive.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:01 AM   #225
jlib
Lean Forward

WD says all their 3.5" drives are for 24/7 use and, anyway, no manufacturer certifies some of their drives specifically for 24/7 use as opposed to some other drives that aren't. All modern drives are 24/7. The only thing a drive manufacturer will certify is compatibility with various standards. That is true for Seagate, Hitachi, and Western Digital.

The DVR specific drives are of no benefit at all to the TiVo since it does not use any of their advanced features. Maybe a future TiVo will. Now, to be fair there is one circumstance where a DVR drive is superior to the equivalent standard drive. Seagate does not allow user modification of the head seek acoustics on their drives. Their DB35 series has the detuned seek as default so in that specific intra-brand case the DVR model is better. All other major manufacturers allow manual modification of the acoustics of their drives without needing to pay a premium for a quiet one.

From a specification standpoint the WD 1TB is the superior drive choice for the TiVO at this point in time. It is rather new so does not have a history like the Deskstar but I have not seen any reports of problems that can be tied specifically to the drive itself.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:47 AM   #226
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
I have been trying to get a TiVo HD to boot using Buffalo DriveStation Quattro...
That is really disappointing news. When you mentioned the Quattro last time the specs seemed ideal. I think I even encouraged you on. It seems you are doing everything right. Is the source drive you are copying from a stock original drive? Things I would do next: Are you using latest Beta 6 of WinMFS? If so I would next try the MFS Live method and I would buy a cheap PCI SATA/eSATA card for your PC (your mention of the USB convertor implies you have no SATA ports, right?) and then have the original drive and the Quattro attached at the same time rather than doing a separate backup and restore. Copy everything, don't truncate. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #227
FLBoy

Thumbs up Smooth Upgrade on S3 w/9.2j

I could not find the WD My DVR Expander in stock either locally or on the net last week, so I decided to risk installing a non-verified drive. I went with the Seagate DB35 500Gb in the Antec MX-1 enclosure, and the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable, as recommended in the OP.

The installation was as smooth as silk--10 minutes to install the drive into the enclosure, 10 minutes to connect everything, and another 10 minutes for TiVo to complete the installation process. (OK, I could have done it faster, but I was being slow and careful!)

In the System Information display, my Recording Capacity now reads, "Variable, up to 98 HD hours, or 927 SD hours." Woohoo! Thanks, bkdtv, for a very helpful, complete, and accurate OP. I would not have attempted this without your help.
FLBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #228
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy
I could not find the WD My DVR Expander in stock either locally or on the net last week, so I decided to risk installing a non-verified drive. I went with the Seagate DB35 500Gb in the Antec MX-1 enclosure, and the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable, as recommended in the OP.

The installation was as smooth as silk--10 minutes to install the drive into the enclosure, 10 minutes to connect everything, and another 10 minutes for TiVo to complete the installation process. (OK, I could have done it faster, but I was being slow and careful!)

In the System Information display, my Recording Capacity now reads, "Variable, up to 98 HD hours, or 927 SD hours." Woohoo! Thanks, bkdtv, for a very helpful, complete, and accurate OP. I would not have attempted this without your help.
Nice job...exactly what we have and it's been flawless for going on seven months now. I'll be installing a 1TB WD Green drive internally on our S3 soon and removing the eSATA, but we've really the extra space and put it to good use!

Enjoy!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #229
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
The DVR specific drives are of no benefit at all to the TiVo since it does not use any of their advanced features. Maybe a future TiVo will. Now, to be fair there is one circumstance where a DVR drive is superior to the equivalent standard drive. Seagate does not allow user modification of the head seek acoustics on their drives. Their DB35 series has the detuned seek as default so in that specific intra-brand case the DVR model is better. All other major manufacturers allow manual modification of the acoustics of their drives without needing to pay a premium for a quiet one.
The stock S3 drive (mine) was the WD2500BS (WD Caviar) which I don't think is an AV drive. The TiVo HDs are coming with WD1600AVBS (WD AV) which is an AV drive. I imagine the hi def TiVoes can use good quality non-AV drives perfectly well. I have been doing so with the stock S3 drive and Seagate Barracudas for a long time.

As for the Drivestation Quattro, while so far it is a disappointment relative to use with the TiVo HD, I may try it as an expansion drive like the other person asked about. I may give the copy everything a shot. The Quattro actually comes with an eSATA PC card, but I did not use it (though I did daisy chain the eSata port/cable plate and the eSata cable in my funky experiments.)

I have Barracudas now in the Quattro (they come with WD2500BBs) except for a Maxtor Diamond Max which is a bit noisy. If I attach that drive to the PC, how do I poke around to quiet it down? Seagate's site is not helpful about that.

Even if the TiVo experiments end in failure, I intend to use the Quattro on my TTG Server. Can't wait for $149 1TB drives next year.

Last edited by HDTiVo : 11-03-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #230
Mack The Dog

If I put the 1TB WD Green drive in an MX-1, leave the stock drive in my TivoHD, marry the two together with mfsadd, will I be able to upgrade the stock drive at a later date? If so, if I use mfscopy later will it copy the marriage with the 1TB and thus keep my recorded shows?
Mack The Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #231
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack The Dog
If I put the 1TB WD Green drive in an MX-1, leave the stock drive in my TivoHD, marry the two together with mfsadd, will I be able to upgrade the stock drive at a later date? If so, if I use mfscopy later will it copy the marriage with the 1TB and thus keep my recorded shows?
I would recommend replacing the internal drive instead. 160GB is not worth adding as a second drive. If you want more space later, add another drive externally.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #232
Scarabaeus

TivoHD + 1TB Cinemastar success

I just managed to "marry" a Hitachi Cinemastar 1TB in the Antek case to my TivoHD, using the "mfsadd -x -r 4 /dev/sda /dev/sdb" method.

It now reports 152 hours of HD / 1444 hours of SD.

Thank you all for the valuable info.
Scarabaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #233
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
I would recommend replacing the internal drive instead...
c3 speaks the truth. Since you have to open the TiVo anyway to accomplish your non-official upgrade, you might as well first just upgrade the internal drive to the maximum you can afford. It will probably be some time then until you would have to revisit the capacity issue again but if you did you could then add an external drive and not lose your then currently saved shows. If you start with an external drive add-on with stock internal drive and subsequently decide to upgrade the internal drive you will lose your saved shows.

One drive is better than two just from the keep-it-simple standpoint. The external drive add-on process is mainly of value if one is completely techno-phobic or the thought of opening the TiVo box and voiding the 90-day warranty causes pause or if one has already upgraded the internal drive and you realize that more is never enough. So, I know this is the eSATA expansion thread but the wisest course of action is actually to upgrade the internal drive first if one is willing to open the TiVO.

Last edited by jlib : 11-03-2007 at 05:49 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #234
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...except for a Maxtor Diamond Max which is a bit noisy. If I attach that drive to the PC, how do I poke around to quiet it down?
As long as it is a real Maxtor drive you can use Hitachi Feature Tool or the hdparm command on a Linux boot disk to put it in quiet mode. If it is a rebadged Seagate, probably not.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #235
Wheens

Expanded Drive

I realize that this is probably elementary, but if I replace the original internal drive on my new THD with a 500G unit, is the new drive considered an expanded or upgraded drive or both?

In the future, if I add an esata drive, do I have to reinstall the original drive and update the SW to 9.2?
Wheens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #236
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheens
I realize that this is probably elementary, but if I replace the original internal drive on my new THD with a 500G unit, is the new drive considered an expanded or upgraded drive or both?
Both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheens
In the future, if I add an esata drive, do I have to reinstall the original drive and update the SW to 9.2?
The "plug and play" eSATA expansion doesn't work if you have an upgraded drive in your Tivo, but you can still add an eSATA drive to an upgraded Tivo by using your computer, as described in FAQ #10, III. Non-Verified drives.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #237
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
As long as it is a real Maxtor drive you can use Hitachi Feature Tool or the hdparm command on a Linux boot disk to put it in quiet mode. If it is a rebadged Seagate, probably not.
I'm not sure how to tell. The manufacture date was in the first half of '06.

If I use the Hitachi Feature Tool (assume drive connected to PC via IDE - USB adapter) can I do it without damaging the data on the drive so it is likely to pop back into the Quattro and not have to re-build the RAID5 array (or worse yet, the data I've copied over so far gets lost?)
Old 11-04-2007, 03:27 AM   #238
jlib
Lean Forward

They merged in late 2005. In any case, adjusting the head seek acoustic setting has no affect on the contents of the drive itself. It is a firmware setting. But is is a DOS boot disk so USB is not natively supported. Do you have no standard IDE (PATA) cables in your system? Your CDROM is most likely on one. Just share that cable. You only need to boot the CD or floppy. You don't need any other hard drives connected. Alternately, a Linux boot disk will see the USB adapter in case you are using it on a laptop or other PC with no accessible IDE ports.

Last edited by jlib : 11-04-2007 at 11:25 AM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #239
Mack The Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
I would recommend replacing the internal drive instead. 160GB is not worth adding as a second drive. If you want more space later, add another drive externally.
I understand that. My question is: IF I decide to keep the stock drive (btw, it is 250gb) inside my TivoHD, marry it to the 1TB green drive in an MX-1, decide that I need more than the 1.25TB at a later date, decide to use mfscopy to copy the stock drive to a new drive, would the marriage be copied as well?

Again, I do understand that this might not be recommended, just call it intellectual curiosity...
Mack The Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #240
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack The Dog
My question is: IF I decide to keep the stock drive (btw, it is 250gb) inside my TivoHD, marry it to the 1TB green drive in an MX-1, decide that I need more than the 1.25TB at a later date, decide to use mfscopy to copy the stock drive to a new drive, would the marriage be copied as well?

Again, I do understand that this might not be recommended, just call it intellectual curiosity...
I have a feeling that is a permutation that has not been tried yet.

I don't have any SATAs lying around available to try it with, or I'd give it a shot for you.