TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #4141
TheOrkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssvp
I just did mine three weeks ago before 9.2 on TiVOHD with the M-Card. I got mine from Olympia, Wa.

Make sure to tell the person activating it that it is an M-CARD.. I stressed that several times till he finally listened.. Then it worked..
Written down - thanks!
TheOrkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #4142
TheOrkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD9
When I had my TivoHD, I did the MCard install with the 8.1 software... everything worked fine. 2 days later, it upgraded directly to 9.2J
Good to know - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon
That's good to know. I'm a Redmond Comcast customer as well and that's pretty much how it went when I got the CableCard for my Mitsubishi TV.

We have two of the Comcast DVRs and I'm really considering replacing them with a couple TivoHD's now that TTG/MRV/TTCB is enabled. I'm really curious how the playback capabilities compare because I watch a lot of ballgames in various speeds of fast-forward and not all DVRs are created equal when it comes to that.

Is Costco the best place around here to pick up a new TivoHD?
I wouldn't know - ordered mine from Tivo to take advantage of the lifetime transfer (though I've read lately that they're honoring it if you buy it other places as well).
Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #4143
TheOrkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drflounder
Just to give an update in case anyone else from Augusta, GA is reading, I managed to get back in touch with the original Comcast tech. He said one of their engineers had been working with Motorola to get the issue fixed but was unable to get anywhere. He said he would call me back if any progress was made, but the tone in his voice indicated that Comcast considered it a dead issue. Comcast's solution was for me just to get one of their DVRs.

I don't really want to, but I don't see that I have any choice but to give up. I can't force Comcast to get their hardware straightened out, and they aren't going to expend the effort to do it on their own.

So if you're an Augusta GA Comcast subscriber, skip the TivoHD for now.
Have you tried calling Tivo? I've heard they will setup a 3-way conversation call with you and your cable company to straighten out the problems...
Old 11-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #4144
drflounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrkinMan
Have you tried calling Tivo? I've heard they will setup a 3-way conversation call with you and your cable company to straighten out the problems...
I've called Tivo twice and unfortunately they seem to think that Comcast has just setup my account incorrectly. I'm convinced all the info was correct as Comcast was able to send hits to either cablecard and generate the 161-4 error and the Acquiring Channel Info screen. The cards would just never get authorized.

After spending about 6 hours with Comcast techs and 2 with one of their engineers, I believe them when they say that something is messed up in their hardware at the head end. I don't know what Tivo could do to help them with that anyway.
drflounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #4145
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pninen
They want me to wait 16 days for installation of a cablecard... So how long have others waited for the silly cablecard housecall?

To say I am disappointed in Comcast's performance here is an understatement.

By the way, the pricing was:
$1.79/mo for the 2 cable cards
$8/mo for High Def (they swear I have to pay this in spite of the fact that there's no converter box)
$15.99 installation fee

The install is in the Monterey, CA area.
That is about right but that is not counting the return visits that should be anticipated. The contractors out of the Monterey area are particularly bad with cable cards and that is who they send the first time. They will refuse to debug any problems (they get $4 per card beyond whatever they get for the service call). It might be worth requesting a Comcast technician initially in anticipation of them not being able to activate it. I would even volunteer to pay more for installation without a contractor if that were an option (it's not, but it shows them you don't want a contractor). You don't have to pay the $8, either. Bogus! I wouldn't bother coming out for the installation. Just be ready on the phone and send her the installers instruction sheet for them to follow. Come out when it's time to show her how to use it.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #4146
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD9
...when comcast does update their lineup, how will the S3 units deal with it? With my old HR10 DirectTivo, anytime D* made any change to their lineup, I'd know it because my "channels I receive" would get reset. With comcast+tivo, there are two seperate entities involved - one for guide data and one for the cable headend...
Apparently, a third party is involved in providing the guide data to TiVo. When a new channel is added to the lineup it will automatically be added to channels you receive and you usually get a message from TiVo about the update. The problem is when the guide data is inaccurate it is a tedious process to get it corrected.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #4147
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
Apparently, a third party is involved in providing the guide data
Tribune media's http://www.zap2it.com/
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #4148
boettcht
Who's there?

Just to chime in on my Comcast CC install. Order my HDT. Went to my Comcast office hoping to get the CC(s) in person, no dice. Told me I had have tech come to the house. I ask why, explaining he is going record the s/n, the mac address and other numbers that come up on the Tivo and then call to have it activated. Her response was the CC(s) are too expensive and they must have a tech install them.

She then asked me if I wanted to schedule the install, I said sure since I really had no other choice. I estimated the day the Tivo would show up and padded it by a day, a total of a week away. Not a problem, requested an M Card, she had no idea what that was, I requested that she put it on the work order and also note if a M card was not available please bring two S cards. (I was expecting the worst case scenario that the tech wouldn't show up with any cards). $15.00 for the install, $0 for the cable card, sweet plus I get to turn in a cable box and remote which will save me $8.50 a month.

To my surprise the tech showed up in my time window, had 2 M card(s), had done S3 installs, never had done an HDT. Went straight for the back of the Tivo. Told him this was an HDT and the slots are in the front and only on M card was needed for the HDT. He didn't quite understand that the M card handled both tuners, but listened to me & the instructions and put the 1 M card in. CC screen came up, he called to have it activated, Tivo gave a message that the guide setup had to be rerun, reran it and 15 minutes later both tuners were working correctly. Total install time 25 minutes.

Over all I was satisfied, still don't understand the need to roll a truck. They give out cable boxes at the office and you have to call to have them activated when you plug them in.

It appears that Comcast is getting better at CC. Or I just got lucky.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #4149
jmemmott

Quote:
Originally Posted by boettcht
It appears that Comcast is getting better at CC. Or I just got lucky.
I now suspect that it may not be luck but depends on the experience of the installer.

I took the Tivo offer to move a Series 2 lifetime to a TivoHD. The CC install was scheduled for yesterday morning. First thing in the morning, I received a call from the tech that was scheduled to do the install to verify what I wanted. It was obvious that he had never done a CC install so like you, I prepared for the worst. He also indicated that he did not believe my local office had M-cards in stock when I requested one so he would be using S-cards. Later in the morning, I received a call from a Comcast dispatcher. The tech I had talked to earlier have become “tied up” on his current assignment and they wanted to know if they could move the appointment into the afternoon. She also indicated that would give them time to obtain an M-card from another office. An installer finally arrived late in the afternoon but it was not the one I had talked to earlier. Talking to him, I found out he worked for the San Jose office and came to Santa Cruz specifically to do this and one other CC install. He obviously knew what he was doing: he inserted the M-card correctly, picked up the Tivo remote and without hesitation proceeded directly to the CC menu. Most of his time was then spent talking to an operator on his cell trying to get the numbers entered into their system correctly. Even with the care he put into it, the operator on the other end still entered the serial number wrong the first time. Once the installer got this corrected, everything worked.

Time from when he drove into my driveway to the time he left, about twenty minutes.

My guess is that the mandatory truck roll is a reflection of how error prone this process is. This tech knew what he was doing and still had to work to get the operator to put the numbers into the system correctly. There is no way a $15.00 charge would come close to covering the cost of his trip from San Jose to my house. They have to be trying to minimize follow on costs for potential additional visits.
jmemmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #4150
boettcht
Who's there?

Surprising enough, my tech was a contractor. Actually the same one that hooked up my cable when I moved in two years ago.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #4151
pl1

Quote:
Surprising enough, my tech was a contractor. Actually the same one that hooked up my cable when I moved in two years ago.
I just spoke with a colleague in my office (my company has nothing to do with cable or TiVo) who has a friend who is a contractor for a number of satcos and cablecos. He says that they always call the contractors when they want it done right. Or to fix the problems their own $8/hr techs create. I would have thought it was the other way around, but they pay a lot more for the contractors than they do for their own help. Just reporting what I was told.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #4152
TheOrkinMan

Has anyone here done a self-install? I'm wondering if I just call the normal 1-800-COMCAST number or is there a different number to call?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #4153
boettcht
Who's there?

Quote:
Has anyone here done a self-install? I'm wondering if I just call the normal 1-800-COMCAST number or is there a different number to call?
Comcast won't let you do a self install. They will only roll a truck for a CC install. They charged me $15 for the appointment.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #4154
TheOrkinMan

If that's the case, why did they let me take an M-card home with me? Plus, I've actually seen, on an actual Comcast website, references to a CableCard Self Install Kit. If I can dig up the link, I'll post it.

I'm sure I've read that some people have done it - maybe not in your area, though.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #4155
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Comcast's policies vary widely from location to location, in part because it's a conglomeration of different cable companies.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #4156
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
If that's the case, why did they let me take an M-card home with me? Plus, I've actually seen, on an actual Comcast website, references to a CableCard Self Install Kit. If I can dig up the link, I'll post it.

I'm sure I've read that some people have done it - maybe not in your area, though.
It depends on the area, The Houston Market is a self install market. When they gave us the card(s) they gave us an instruction sheet with a phone # to call specifically for CC installs.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #4157
boettcht
Who's there?

Quote:

This is why I hate them so much! I went to my local cable office to get cards and they flat out refused to give them to me without a cable install appointment. I argued up and down that they are no different than a cable box, get it, install it, call in and activate it. I was told that CCs were expensive and that is why they don't just give them out. I called BS on that and got no where.

That is cool that they gave them to you, I wish I could have done that, could have save 3 hours of time off that I had to take to go and wait for the tech.

The install is very easy, you just need to follow the instructions that are included with the Tivo, I would image the hard part is getting the number to call Comcast to get them activated and making sure the person on the other end knows what they are doing and enters the numbers correctly.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #4158
Koan
Nun drum

I'll keep my recent experience with Comcast in Arlington, VA short: Missed appointments, unknowlegeable contractors and CSRs, false information, right-hand doesn't know what the left-hand is doing, and cablecard inventory problems. Exacerbated by phone and DSL problems with Earthlink (EarthStinks). But finally got 'er done.
Koan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #4159
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmemmott
I now suspect that it may not be luck but depends on the experience of the installer.
That is important... but sometimes the installers are helpless when they person they are talking to doesntk now how to pair the card on comcast's end and send a hit.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #4160
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree
It depends on the area, The Houston Market is a self install market. When they gave us the card(s) they gave us an instruction sheet with a phone # to call specifically for CC installs.
A sheet with instructions, that would have been nice! I picked up my card in Chicago but when I asked where I should call to activate it I just got blank looks and one lady said something to the effect of, "I dont even know what those little things are."
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #4161
iamjackshandle

Only certain channels not working

In Charlottesville, VA: got a Tivo HD with M-card as a replacement for Comcast DVR box. Now, all channels work except ESPN & ESPN2 in HD. Other high-tier cable channels work, like Discovery and TNT. Just the ESPN's yield a gray screen. Comcast has been out a few times to no avail. Any thoughts on how to proceed?
iamjackshandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #4162
muddball

Quote:
I did a self-install last week in Kitsap County. The receipt I got from the retail store had a different toll free number (877 something, I think) that the lady told me to call and that appeared to go directly to a call center in Olympia (based on the address above the phone number). I think when you call 1-800-COMCAST, and it asks if you are calling regarding an account in WA, it directs you to the same call center. In any event, I think 1-800-COMCAST will work (I used both numbers at different times while trying to get the CCs working).
Old 11-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #4163
TheOrkinMan

Quote:
This is why I hate them so much! I went to my local cable office to get cards and they flat out refused to give them to me without a cable install appointment. I argued up and down that they are no different than a cable box, get it, install it, call in and activate it. I was told that CCs were expensive and that is why they don't just give them out. I called BS on that and got no where.

That is cool that they gave them to you, I wish I could have done that, could have save 3 hours of time off that I had to take to go and wait for the tech.

The install is very easy, you just need to follow the instructions that are included with the Tivo, I would image the hard part is getting the number to call Comcast to get them activated and making sure the person on the other end knows what they are doing and enters the numbers correctly.
I feel your pain - if I had another choice around here I'd use it, but FIOS isn't here yet and I can't use a satellite system (strict condo rules). This will get me one step closer to being Comcast free - once FIOS arrives, that may be the last move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji0005
A sheet with instructions, that would have been nice! I picked up my card in Chicago but when I asked where I should call to activate it I just got blank looks and one lady said something to the effect of, "I dont even know what those little things are."
I suspect most of the people in this forum know more than most Comcast installers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjackshandle
In Charlottesville, VA: got a Tivo HD with M-card as a replacement for Comcast DVR box. Now, all channels work except ESPN & ESPN2 in HD. Other high-tier cable channels work, like Discovery and TNT. Just the ESPN's yield a gray screen. Comcast has been out a few times to no avail. Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Sounds like maybe a lineup problem? Have you tried asking Tivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddball
I did a self-install last week in Kitsap County. The receipt I got from the retail store had a different toll free number (877 something, I think) that the lady told me to call and that appeared to go directly to a call center in Olympia (based on the address above the phone number). I think when you call 1-800-COMCAST, and it asks if you are calling regarding an account in WA, it directs you to the same call center. In any event, I think 1-800-COMCAST will work (I used both numbers at different times while trying to get the CCs working).
My receipt had no extra phone numbers on it - it was just one of those yellow receipts that says you now have something that belongs to Comcast...

Anyway - I'm going to risk attempting this tomorrow morning - if it doesn't pan out, I'll do it Monday. I'll report back one way or the other.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #4164
jlib
Lean Forward

I think I once mentioned this before but if anyone wonders why there is no consistency in the various Comcast offices take a look what Comcast actually consists of. It is just a huge holding company of hundreds of corporate and LLC entities scattered across the country. I thought of posting the list here but there are 18 pages listing the different Comcast subsidiaries. So take a quick peek at Comcast's monstrosity of a Form 10K report to the SEC. Scroll down to Part IV Exhibit 21 Subsidiaries near the bottom for some entertainment.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:52 AM   #4165
gilbreen

Had Comcast (Northern Colorado) come out today to install CCs in two TivoHDs (We had another one installed 2 weeks ago). The tech came and said he had only done S3 installs before. He had two M Cards in hand. I showed him the Tivo install sheet, he put the M Card in and I handled the remote to make sure we got to the right screens. He phoned Comcast and had them activate the card.

Each THD took about 30 minutes to be up and running including rerunning the Guided Setup. All channels are working properly (we have the family tier). Really only want the locals in HD but found we also get TBS HD, ESPN2 HD and AE HD.

Overall no complaints.

Since we only have one card in each TivoHD, can I call back and have them update my account so I am not charged the $1.50 for the non-existant 2nd card? Has anyone done that before? Not a huge amount of money. Just curious.
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #4166
TheOrkinMan

Ok - here's the report...

Installed the cablecard, got the cablecard setup screen. Followed the cablecard install sheet that came with the THD. The screen gave me a phone number to call (it was basically the same as the main 1-800-COMCAST number). The first person had to transfer me to someone else, but they answered within 10 seconds (this was at about 9:30 this morning).

She asked for the Host ID and Data numbers. Apparently that told her everything she needed to know, including the fact that it was a TivoHD. She then walked me through the Tivo menus (!) to verify everything was working. I'd say it took about 2 minutes for the authorization to occur and overall maybe a 10 minute phone call. Once done, reran guided setup and all was well.

I now have a working Tivo - can record 2 programs at once and everything. HD channels working and it appears to have all the channels I get.

I feel extraordinarly lucky that the entire process went so smoothly for me - after reading the posts on this forum, I was expecting the worst. I guess it all depends on where you are, how much training the CSRs have had and who you get. For me, the stars aligned and left me with a very good feeling.

We're going to leave the Comcast DVR running side-by-side with the THD for a week before we turn in the Comcast DVR, just in case something goes badly in the next few days (I've read a few posts where that happened).
Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #4167
pl1

Quote:
I feel extraordinarly lucky that the entire process went so smoothly for me - after reading the posts on this forum, I was expecting the worst. I guess it all depends on where you are, how much training the CSRs have had and who you get. For me, the stars aligned and left me with a very .
There are so many things that can go wrong. There are 2 sets of 4 numbers for a TiVo with two cableCARDs.

Today, I had a VERY knowledgable tech out to re-pair (validate) my cableCARDs. He is the Supervisor for the local Comcast techs and he has been with the company through 4 name changes. He seemed to hate TiVo, not because of what it does, but because that is what takes up most of their time.

Anyway, in my case, today, the tech calls in all of the numbers and he tells the person on the other end of the line that the cableCARD has to be added to the DAC (Controller). It was removed in error. The other person keys in all the numbers and it is still showing UN-SUBSCRIBED on my end. ANOTHER 45 min call, tech on hold, finds out the other person did NOT enter the cableCARD into the DAC as requested. (My Father told me his tech was on hold 45 min as well. What a waste of time.)

So, you see, this happened with a tech who knew what he was doing. And it was ALL Comcast errors. Then they hate TiVo. Go figure.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #4168
nickff

Help!

Anyone have any insight into the following problem:

Cablecard #2 repeatedly loses it ability to decode my Encore and HBO channels. It will go out, I call Comcast, they schedule a visit, come out, and re-hit the card. Everything works after that... for about a week. Then, boom, repeat the cycle. This is driving me insane. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting down to watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm" only to be greeted by a gray screen instead of Larry David's bald head.

During the last Comcast visit, I had them swap out the card and then today the channels went out again.

Comcast now claims that the slot that cablecard #2 is in is faulty and that I should swap out my S3 for a new one. I don't understand how a faulty slot allows most channels but not my HBOs or Encores.
nickff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #4169
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickff
Anyone have any insight into the following problem:

Cablecard #2 repeatedly loses it ability to decode my Encore and HBO channels. It will go out, I call Comcast, they schedule a visit, come out, and re-hit the card. Everything works after that... for about a week. Then, boom, repeat the cycle. This is driving me insane. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting down to watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm" only to be greeted by a gray screen instead of Larry David's bald head.

During the last Comcast visit, I had them swap out the card and then today the channels went out again.

Comcast now claims that the slot that cablecard #2 is in is faulty and that I should swap out my S3 for a new one. I don't understand how a faulty slot allows most channels but not my HBOs or Encores.
Take a look at this link "Troubleshooting CableCARD Activation and Channel Issues". It might help you. There are specific screenshots showing you how a card is SUBSCRIBED (AKA as AUTHORIZED) and VALIDATED (AKA PAIRED).

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...1-d8cd0d5c0824
Old 11-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #4170
mweidin

Monthly Charge

Comcast is telling me that there is a monthly charge of $1 for a cable card. Has anyone else been told this ?
mweidin is offline   Reply With Quote