TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
platinumkid222
Platinumkid222

Exclamation Please Help! Tivo Keeps Restarting!

Ever since Wednesday Oct 24th my tivo has reset itself almost every hour. It interrupts all of the shows that I am recorded and while I am watching the recorded shows it resets itself too, stopping my show right in the middle. Does anyone else have a similar problem to might be able to tell me what could be wrong and causing it to act like this? I really appreciate the help. Thank you!

Samantha
platinumkid222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:03 AM   #2
richsadams

CAVAET: These instructions are to effect TiVo's built-in diagnostic and/or repair programs called "Kickstarts". They should only be run when a serious problem has occurred. Running these programs otherwise is NOT recommended and are not necessary...they will not improve TiVo's performance or act as a preventative measure to avoid problems in the future. In other words, if your TiVo is behaving normally there is no need to run any of these processes.

If you are having problems with your TiVo First be sure everything is connected securely, TV, external hard drive, coax, power cord, HDMI, wireless adapter, Ethernet, everything that you're using, everything.

Reboot (power cycle) TiVo by unplugging it, waiting 10 to 15 seconds for the hard drive to spin down and plugging it back in. That may reset it and things may be fine afterward.

If you're still having problems you can try the following TiVo diagnostic and repair programs called "Kickstarts". Depending on which one you use, they may fix what ails it. It's recommended to run them in this order:

1. Kickstart 57
2. Kickstart 54
3. Kickstart 58
4. Kickstart 52

(EDIT: KS56 is no longer part of the TiVo software package and has been removed from this post)

These steps are for the Series1, Series2, Series3 (including TiVo HD and HDXL) models. The same processes can be run on the TiVo Series 4 Premiere and Premiere XL, models however the steps are slightly different as noted near the bottom of this post.

NOTE: You can skip steps 1 through 6 during each process by simply rebooting - unplug TiVo, wait 10 to 15 seconds, plug it back in and following steps 7 forward after that.

Also note that there are several colored text links that will display grahpic examples.

"Kickstart 57" is TiVo’s built-in diagnostic program that triggers an MFS assert (GSOD), which marks the file system as being damaged. The repair process detects and repairs inode/data problems, and then runs mfscheck to clean up database and directory problems. Kickstart 57 can help if you've received the S02 or S03 error. If you do this and the DVR recovers but the connections still fail to index, you should delete your thumb ratings. (Old single-tuner DVRs had less capacity for storing ratings than all of the dual tuner models. some people go overboard rating entire lists. This becomes especially problematic whenever you have large channel lineups as each thumb anchors multiple data objects.)
Kickstart 57 – TiVo Diagnostics:

1. Go to TiVo Central
2. Select Messages & Setup
3. Select System Reset
4. Select Restart Receiver
5. Press Thumbs Down three times
6. Press Enter
7. While the system is restarting, during the initial screen, press and hold the PAUSE button until only amber light(s) illuminate or in the case of some TiVo HD's, the red, green and amber lights.
8. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and then 7 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step).
9. TiVo will reboot and the GSOD screen will come on saying TiVo has encountered a serious error. It will then run the disk management tool. During this time it will look for and correct configuration problems as well as isolating any bad sectors on the hard drive so they can no longer be used.
10. TiVo will automatically reboot after the diagnostic program has completed. This may take a few minutes to a few hours.
“Kickstart 54” is TiVo’s Hard Drive Performance Test. It will run a system hard drive diagnostic and deliver a pass/fail result.
Kickstart 54 – Hard Drive/System Test:

1. Go to TiVo Central
3. Select System Reset
6. Press Enter
7. While the system is restarting, during the initial screen, press and hold the PAUSE button until only amber light(s) illuminate or in the case of some TiVo HD's, the red, green and amber lights.
8. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and then 4 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step). TiVo will restart.

NOTE: If the television screen goes blank, it is likely because the television does not support 480i display mode via a component or HDMI connection. (The diagnostic screen is displayed in 480i display mode only.) You may need to use an S-video or composite connection between the DVR*and television to see the test menus.

9. On the menu screen use the directional arrow pad on the TiVo remote to choose “S.M.A.R.T. Test”. The basic tests will run against internal and external drives simultaneously without waiting for user response when switching between the tests. It's a simple process that covers most of the bases. After that you can run the individual tests if you’d like. Keep in mind that doing so is even more manual than running the SMART diagnostics however.
Test hda = internal drive
Test hdb = external drive on a TiVo HD/HDXL
Test hdc = external drive on a Series3
10. After a few minutes to a few hours (depending on the test and the size of the hard drive) TiVo will return a diagnostic screen indicating any HDD errors.

NOTE: You can cancel the test at any time by pressing the CLEAR button.

WARNING: While the DVR is testing the hard drives, it will respond to any TiVo remote, regardless of its address setting. If you wish to use another DVR in the same room as the DVR running the tests, cover the front of the DVR running the tests with aluminum foil, a thick magazine, or some other material to block stray remote commands.

11. When all of the tests are complete, check the results:

• If the primary drive fails any of the tests, contact TiVo Customer Support to exchange the DVR.
• If the secondary drive fails any of the tests, you need to exchange the Western Digital My DVR Expander. You can process the exchange on your own by going to the Western Digital Product Replacement site OR you can call Western Digital Customer Support at 1-800-ASK-WDC (275-4932) to have an agent process the exchange.
If both drives pass all of the tests, contact TiVo Customer Support for additional troubleshooting assistance.

NOTE: If you exchange your DVR or My DVR Expander, you will lose all or most of your recordings.

Also note that false positives can happen. A drive that has "passed KS54" may subsequently fail a dedicated, extended read/write/read diagnostic software program such as WD's Lifeguard.
"Kickstart 58" is another of TiVo’s diagnostic programs. It runs fsfix with an additional option that causes it to make multiple passes over the inodes, re-hashing them and clearing collision bits.
Kickstart 58- TiVo Diagnostics:

1. Go to TiVo Central
3. Select System Reset
6. Press Enter
8. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and then 8 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step).
9. Put the remote down and wait. The system will proceed to the diagnostic program.
10. TiVo will reboot after the diagnostic program has completed. This may take a few minutes to a few hours.

NOTE: No diagnostic screen will appear as with Kickstart 57. TiVo will simply reboot after the program is completed.

“Kickstart 52” is an "emergency reinstall" of the software. TiVo employs dual boot partitions. This allows it to start and run on one partition while leaving the second one free for updates. Once an update has downloaded and installed on the alternate partion TiVo will reboot using that partition and so on. Kickstart 52 will cause the installation of the existing version of software on the alternate root partition. Kickstart 52 may help if your DVR is continually in a "pending restart" state. The free partition may be damaged and unable to run the install. Kickstart 52 swaps the partitions and allows the software to install on the "other" partition. If this works, it's only a workaround. You'll likely see the problem again when the next rollout occurs, so keep the warranty in mind if this fix "works" for you.
Kickstart 52 – Reinstalling TiVo Software:

1. Go to TiVo Central
3. Select System Reset
6. Press Enter
8. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and then 2 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step).
9. The service update screens will appear.
10. After a time (generally a few minutes) TiVo will automatically reboot.
==============================================

TIVO SERIES4 PREMIERE AND PREMIERE XL INSTRUCTIONS

The Kickstart processes also work with the latest TiVo models however the following actions are required:

1. Go to TiVo Central
2. Select Settings and Messages
3. Select Help
4. Select Restart or Reset System
5. Select Restart the TiVo Box
6. Press Thumbs Down three times
7. Press Enter and TiVo should restart
8. After a short time the green and amber lights begin flashing alternately. Immediately press and release the PAUSE button on the remote. **
9. Press the appropriate Kickstart command numbers on the TiVo remote (5-7 or 5-4 for example). You will have approximately 10 seconds to do this.
10. TiVo will reboot once more and then run the Kickstart process.

NOTE: Depending on the process the TV screen may go black (no MFSassert/GSOD screen will appear as with earlier models). DO NOT interrupt the process by pressing any remote keys or pulling the power plug. Most processes usually take a short time, some 10 minutes or less but they can take up to three hours depending on the diagnosis and/or repairs required. Again, do NOT interrupt the process as damage to data can occur and your TiVo may not recover.

11. When the Kickstart process is over TiVo will reboot (sometimes twice).

TiVo should fully boot up. If it hangs at the "Welcome! Powering up…" screen or goes into a reboot loop you can try pulling the power plug, waiting 15 seconds for the hard drive to spin down and plugging it back in again. If the problem continues it means that TiVo was not able to effect the needed repairs.

**NOTE: Unlike the other TiVo models, you cannot continuously hold down the pause button.
==============================================

Kickstart procedures generally leave Season Passes, Wish Lists, etc. intact, however data and recordings that were part of any bad sectors may be lost.

Good luck, let us know how it goes and if you’re still having problems.

Last edited by richsadams : 09-07-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Update various procedures per TiVoJerry's advice - Clarify number key pressing
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:22 AM   #3
cbchapsg

I have the same problem too, and it started around the same time. I have an s3 with a Seagate Free Agent 750 hard drive connected, but it has been connected for a few months now with no problems. Could it all be related to the fact that you can now transfer HD content via Tivo Desktop, which I have done?
cbchapsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
BamCat

I have a Pioneer DVR-810H, and I'm having the same problem. As far as I know, the first time it did this was on Thursday, October 25 at about 10:20 pm. It did it again on Friday at about the same time. Then last night, it did it three times between 7:50 pm and 9:30 pm.

According to Weaknees, this could be due to a bad power supply, but after reading these posts, I'm wondering if it was caused by a Tivo software "update." When my hard drive went bad two years ago, someone at Weeknees said they had gotten a lot of calls about the exact problem I was having, and he suspected a software "update" might have caused the problem.
BamCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbchapsg
I have the same problem too, and it started around the same time. I have an s3 with a Seagate Free Agent 750 hard drive connected, but it has been connected for a few months now with no problems. Could it all be related to the fact that you can now transfer HD content via Tivo Desktop, which I have done?
TTG shouldn’t have anything to do with TiVo automatically rebooting. It's possible that a recent upgrade caused a problem. If so, you can try Kickstart 52 (above).

Another very good candidate in your case is a bad eSATA cable. The SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 is the recommended replacement cable. You can get more info about it and other troubleshooting ideas at this post:

Official eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCat
I have a Pioneer DVR-810H, and I'm having the same problem. As far as I know, the first time it did this was on Thursday, October 25 at about 10:20 pm. It did it again on Friday at about the same time. Then last night, it did it three times between 7:50 pm and 9:30 pm.

According to Weaknees, this could be due to a bad power supply, but after reading these posts, I'm wondering if it was caused by a Tivo software "update." When my hard drive went bad two years ago, someone at Weeknees said they had gotten a lot of calls about the exact problem I was having, and he suspected a software "update" might have caused the problem.
It could well be that a software update was corrupted during download. Power failure, surges, lightning strikes, etc. can cause data corruption. If it is an update issue, Kickstart 52 (see above) will download the most recent software and load it on the alternate partition so you might want to give that a try.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
theredgreenone

Just thought I would add a quick reply to mention that I am having the same problem with my S2 Tivo. I don't watch much TV during the week and discovered the problem on Friday night when I sat down to catch up. Unit would work fine for 10-15 minutes and then spontaneously reboot.

My unit was upgrade with a single replacement hard drive and had been working perfectly until I received the 9.1 update (via home network) on Sunday. I finally pulled the plug and have it powered off since Saturday night.

I will try the suggestions reported above and report back.
theredgreenone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
richsadams

It should probably go without saying, but TiVo (and truly all other CE components) should be on quality surge protectors at minimum, a power conditioner or uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to prevent future problems.

Note: it is generally not advised to run your cableco coax cable through a surge protector as it can degrade the incoming signal, YMMV.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
cbchapsg

my s3 now wont get pass the Tivo Central Screen. After unplugging to restart the machine, it goes thru the startup as usual, but when it comes to the Tivo Central screen, only the background appears at first. After a few minutes, then the menu items appear. But at that point I cannot move to another menu item. Only option at this point is to unplug and then it's the same cycle. Since I cannot get to Messages & Setup to do a restart, is there another way to do kickstart 52? I tried pushing the pause button after restarting via unplugging, but I don't see the yellow lights come on.

Last edited by cbchapsg : 10-29-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
richsadams

Quote:
my s3 now wont get pass the Tivo Central Screen. After unplugging to restart the machine, it goes thru the startup as usual, but when it comes to the Tivo Central screen, only the background appears at first. After a few minutes, then the menu items appear. But at that point I cannot move to another menu item. Only option at this point is to unplug and then it's the same cycle. Since I cannot get to Messages & Setup to do a restart, is there another way to do kickstart 52? I tried pushing the pause button after restarting via unplugging, but I don't see the yellow lights come on.
You don't have to use the restart method. You can also unplug TiVo, wait 10 or 15 seconds, plug it back in and then follow the kickstart procedure from step #7 on. You have to hold down the pause button during the time you see the first screen (Welcome, Powering Up). Just before it changes to the Almost There screen the orange/yellow light will illuminate (single light to the right of the clock on your S3). Once that happens release the pause button (the light will stay illuminated for about 10 seconds) and enter the code (52, 57 or 58).

I'd recommend running Kickstart 57 first. If it's getting to TiVo Central it sounds more like there is a problem with hard drive data than the newly downloaded upgrade.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:54 AM   #10
cbchapsg

Hey Rich,

Thanks for explaining the Kickstart yellow light again. With the lastest explaination I managed to run the Kickstarts; However, the bad news is that none of the three fixed the problem. ;-( I even tried running all three again a second time.

I called Tivo support and they said to disconnect and divorce the e-sata drive, which they of course stressed is an unsupported drive, and see if I still have the problem. If not, then it obviously points to the external hd. If I still have the problem, they said they would replace the S3 with another one for $49.

Anymore suggestions to try before I go ahead and divorce the drive and lose the my recorded shows?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 10-30-2007, 02:18 AM   #11
richsadams

Quote:
Hey Rich,

Thanks for explaining the Kickstart yellow light again. With the lastest explaination I managed to run the Kickstarts; However, the bad news is that none of the three fixed the problem. ;-( I even tried running all three again a second time.

I called Tivo support and they said to disconnect and divorce the e-sata drive, which they of course stressed is an unsupported drive, and see if I still have the problem. If not, then it obviously points to the external hd. If I still have the problem, they said they would replace the S3 with another one for $49.

Anymore suggestions to try before I go ahead and divorce the drive and lose the my recorded shows?

Thanks,
Patrick
If KS57 didn't correct problems on your eSATA or internal drive, about the only thing left to test would be your eSATA drive and its cable. I can't remember if you replaced the eSATA cable with a "recommended" cable like the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1. Also check that the connections on both ends are snug/tight...anything less can cause serious problems.

You could run a surface scan on your eSATA drive with the WD Drive Tools. Be sure to unplug TiVo, then your eSATA drive and the reverse when you plug it back in.

The end result is that if it's not the cable and it is the eSATA drive, you lose your recordings but you can get a replacement. If it's not the cable or eSATA drive, you lose your recordings but you get a shiny new TiVo!

FWIW I think you've probably done most of what you can. If you want to try a new cable, that's probably the easiest. Otherwise I think if it were me I'd just divorce the drive and see if TiVo fires back up and runs normally. You can (and should) divorce the drive properly by unplugging TiVo, disconnect the eSATA drive and then plug TiVo back in. You'll get a warning screen. Follow the directions and the reconfiguration screen will appear. TiVo will then reboot and you'll have your answer.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
cbchapsg

Rich,

Well, I divorced the external drive from my S3 and still have the same problem. (Before divorcing it I also ran the WD diagnostics on the external drive but it found no errors).

Tivo is now sending me my new (i.e., factory re-newed) S3 tomorrow. It will cost me $53.04 ($49 + tax). Since I wanted them to ship the new one right away instead of waiting until they receive the defective one from me, they will hit my credit card with a deposit (equal to $799.99 + tax). The deposit will be refunded once they get the defective one from me.

Patrick
Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

Well, I divorced the external drive from my S3 and still have the same problem. (Before divorcing it I also ran the WD diagnostics on the external drive but it found no errors).

Tivo is now sending me my new (i.e., factory re-newed) S3 tomorrow. It will cost me $53.04 ($49 + tax). Since I wanted them to ship the new one right away instead of waiting until they receive the defective one from me, they will hit my credit card with a deposit (equal to $799.99 + tax). The deposit will be refunded once they get the defective one from me.

Patrick
Sorry to here that your TiVo's life has come to an end. But you'll have a shiny new TiVo soon. The warranty is the same, and as others have mentioned, renewed units go through more inspections and diagnostics than the simple bench tests they do at the factory.

Most exchanges happen fast enough (if you get yours back to them quickly) that the charges and credits hit credit cards before a statement is ever issued.

At least you know you have a good external drive and things will be back to normal soon.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #14
bsmorgan

I have a Toshiba unit with the basic Tivo (if you are not familiar is a 3 day look ahead, no Season Pass, and is free). The unit is original, not hacked. About two or three weeks ago it began rebooting while recording and while watching. It says it is installing a Service update. Once it restarts it is fine for a few minutes. Most of the programs it occurs on are on CBS (CSI, Without a Trace, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, and Shark, specifically). I have Comcast service. What can I do to fix this problem?
bsmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #15
BamCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
It could well be that a software update was corrupted during download. Power failure, surges, lightning strikes, etc. can cause data corruption. If it is an update issue, Kickstart 52 (see above) will download the most recent software and load it on the alternate partition so you might want to give that a try.
Hi Rich,

I tried Kickstart 52 this morning, and it worked until I got to the part where Tivo said it had to do a program update (or words to that effect). When I initiated the call, I got "Service not responding." I then saw that the last successful attempt was on 10/21. I checked the phone line by plugging a phone into it and got a dial tone. I then used the phone to call the Tivo number and got a connection. Does this mean I have a bad modem? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #16
richsadams

Quote:
Hi Rich,

I tried Kickstart 52 this morning, and it worked until I got to the part where Tivo said it had to do a program update (or words to that effect). When I initiated the call, I got "Service not responding." I then saw that the last successful attempt was on 10/21. I checked the phone line by plugging a phone into it and got a dial tone. I then used the phone to call the Tivo number and got a connection. Does this mean I have a bad modem? Thanks!
Hmmm...need a little more info about "program update"...and why you were trying to initiate a call.

After you ran KS52 did TiVo get to either of these screens? If so, it sounds like it downloaded the software (meaning your phone line was good) but hasn't installed it...which I believe it would need to do in order for it to connect again. However if it says the last successful attempt was on 10/21, it may not have downloaded the update at all.

Post some more details about what you did and what TiVo did exactly and we'll see if we can't figure it out.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #17
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmorgan
I have a Toshiba unit with the basic Tivo (if you are not familiar is a 3 day look ahead, no Season Pass, and is free). The unit is original, not hacked. About two or three weeks ago it began rebooting while recording and while watching. It says it is installing a Service update. Once it restarts it is fine for a few minutes. Most of the programs it occurs on are on CBS (CSI, Without a Trace, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, and Shark, specifically). I have Comcast service. What can I do to fix this problem?
Unfortunately I haven't had any experience with the Toshiba units. I'm not sure if the kickstart methods will work, but I don't know of any reason they wouldn't...AFAIK you're basically running Series 1 software. It sounds like a hard drive issue. You might try KS57 and if that doesn't help, KS58 to see if that will get things back on track.

Perhaps others more familiar with Toshiba TiVo's can chime in?

P.S. Just noticed that you said TiVo displayed something about a "service update"? Can you elaborate?

Last edited by richsadams : 11-01-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #18
BamCat

Quote:
Hmmm...need a little more info about "program update"...and why you were trying to initiate a call.

After you ran KS52 did TiVo get to either of these screens? If so, it sounds like it downloaded the software (meaning your phone line was good) but hasn't installed it...which I believe it would need to do in order for it to connect again. However if it says the last successful attempt was on 10/21, it may not have downloaded the update at all.

Post some more details about what you did and what TiVo did exactly and we'll see if we can't figure it out.
Thanks for your help. I got the "Installing a Service Update" screen, but when it finished I got a screen that said something about Tivo needing a program update. If I'm remembering correctly, I had a choice of connecting now or trying later; so I chose to connect now. I then got the screen with the steps: Preparing, Connecting, etc. It never got beyond the first step. It first said, "Preparing to Connect" or something similar, then it said, "dialing..." Then I got "Service not responding." I retried several times, and I tried changing the phone number three times, and it kept going through the same process. And then I noticed that the last successful attempt was 10/21. So I then checked the phone line and found it to be working. Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
jjohnson_123

I have the Toshiba TX-60 model, which is a Series 2. I did opt for the lifetime membership, when it was available. I use a wireless Netgear connection.

My problem was that the Tivo was trying to do the 9.1 update, but got stuck at 8.3. I didn't even realize it was rebooting until I noticed my skip commercial, 30 second advance tweak needed to be redone every morning.

On Sunday, I was watching the tail end of 60 Minutes when it rebooted to install the service update. Later, I noticed that the reboot must have been going on during recording as well because the show would split with the same title - for example, one with 12 minutes, the other with 15, the restart eating up the other 3. The tuned in station didn't seem to matter. Saw 2 instances of this. Then saw it happen live.

See my entry at the bottom of this thread. It may work for you. And since you have Tivo Basic, you'll have no Season Pass maintenance. If it doesn't work, try the kickstart methods. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370479

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmorgan

jjohnson_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #20
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I got the "Installing a Service Update" screen, but when it finished I got a screen that said something about Tivo needing a program update. If I'm remembering correctly, I had a choice of connecting now or trying later; so I chose to connect now. I then got the screen with the steps: Preparing, Connecting, etc. It never got beyond the first step. It first said, "Preparing to Connect" or something similar, then it said, "dialing..." Then I got "Service not responding." I retried several times, and I tried changing the phone number three times, and it kept going through the same process. And then I noticed that the last successful attempt was 10/21. So I then checked the phone line and found it to be working. Thanks again.
Well, that's a new one. Not what you wanted to hear eh? I'm not sure why if you saw the first installation screen TiVo didn't automatically start loading the update and go to the "Preparing service..." screen.

Are you able to get back to the TiVo Central and other menus? If so, can you go to the System Information screen and post what software version it's running? I would then try a hard reboot, unplug TiVo for 10 or 15 seconds and plug it back in and see what happens. If nothing changes I'd give KS57 a shot, then KS58. It sounds like something is muddying the data waters somehow. If it snaps to attention you could try KS52 again, but post the version first...curious as to where it stands.

Last edited by richsadams : 11-01-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #21
BamCat

Quote:
Well, that's a new one. Not what you wanted to hear eh? I'm not sure why if you saw the first installation screen TiVo didn't automatically start loading the update and go to the "Preparing service..." screen.

Are you able to get back to the TiVo Central and other menus? If so, can you go to the System Information screen and post what software version it's running? I would then try a hard reboot, unplug TiVo for 10 or 15 seconds and plug it back in and see what happens. If nothing changes I'd give KS57 a shot, then KS58. It sounds like something is muddying the data waters somehow. If it snaps to attention you could try KS52 again, but post the version first...curious as to where it stands.
Yes, I can get into Tivo Central and watch recorded shows. I did check the System Information this morning, and if I recall correctly, it's running 8.3 (I'm at work now; so I can't check it to let you know for sure). Also, I got one of those Tivo messages after running KS52 that said Tivo had installed the Spring 2007 software update. That sounds like it's not the most current version. Also, I did try a hard reboot already; so I'll try KS57 and KS58 tonight. I'll report the results. Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #22
richsadams

Quote:
Yes, I can get into Tivo Central and watch recorded shows. I did check the System Information this morning, and if I recall correctly, it's running 8.3 (I'm at work now; so I can't check it to let you know for sure). Also, I got one of those Tivo messages after running KS52 that said Tivo had installed the Spring 2007 software update. That sounds like it's not the most current version. Also, I did try a hard reboot already; so I'll try KS57 and KS58 tonight. I'll report the results. Thanks again.
Okay, it sounds like you're still on v8.3, which is okay. KS52 simply downloads whatever version of the software TiVo is currently on. In doing so it will also check to see if there is a newer version (which there is) and prompt you to get the update. Everything makes sense (mostly) now except for why you can't connect to the TiVo service.

By now you should have received v9.1 (and believe me, there are some that would be happy to trade places with you to go back to v8.3). That you haven't received v9.1 by now is curious, not a big deal, but it does sound like TiVo is having a problem updating. You could try KS57 and KS58 when you get home...but I'm betting you're going to have to give TiVo a call, explain the situation and see what they advise.

You may have been right earlier...if TiVo hasn't connected since 10/21, your phone line is good (and you've tried different numbers) there may be a modem problem after all.

Keep us posted.

EDIT: DOH! I just remembered that you have a Pioneer TiVo. v9.1 will be the only update you can get right now. Another post earlier today said that a TiVo CSR told the OP that v9.2 would be going out to S2's very soon...so I expect yours will be included at that time.

Last edited by richsadams : 11-01-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #23
dart451

richsadams, I've tried the Kickstart 57 on my Tivo series 2 and I cannot get an amber light to come on at all when I hit the pause key!? Any suggestions?
dart451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 AM   #24
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dart451
richsadams, I've tried the Kickstart 57 on my Tivo series 2 and I cannot get an amber light to come on at all when I hit the pause key!? Any suggestions?
If you're holding down the pause button on your TiVo remote from the time you restart or reboot it you should eventually see the yellow lights on your S2 illuminate - both the right and left lights at the bottom. They will change color just before the Welcome screen switches to the "Almost there..." screen. If you're holding down the pause button both lights will turn yellow/orange and stay lit for about 10 seconds. At that time you can release the pause button and enter a KS code numbers on the remote (5-7, 5-8, etc.)

If that isn't happening it may be something more serious. Let us know exactly what you're doing/seeing if that doesn't work.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:15 AM   #25
platinumkid222
Platinumkid222

Richard, in response to your question, I have a Tivo Series 2. I tried updating the program, I tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in, and I have tried the kickstarts. Nothing really seems to be helping? I think my next step has to be to contact Tivo Customer Support. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!

Samantha
platinumkid222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 AM   #26
BamCat

Quote:
Okay, it sounds like you're still on v8.3, which is okay. KS52 simply downloads whatever version of the software TiVo is currently on. In doing so it will also check to see if there is a newer version (which there is) and prompt you to get the update. Everything makes sense (mostly) now except for why you can't connect to the TiVo service.

By now you should have received v9.1 (and believe me, there are some that would be happy to trade places with you to go back to v8.3). That you haven't received v9.1 by now is curious, not a big deal, but it does sound like TiVo is having a problem updating. You could try KS57 and KS58 when you get home...but I'm betting you're going to have to give TiVo a call, explain the situation and see what they advise.

You may have been right earlier...if TiVo hasn't connected since 10/21, your phone line is good (and you've tried different numbers) there may be a modem problem after all.

Keep us posted.
Here's my latest update: I ran KS57 yesterday (I haven't run KS58 yet). I also talked to Weaknees, who suggested using a code (,#019 or ,#096) to slow down my modem. When I did this, I was actually able to have a successful "Test phone connection." But connecting to the Tivo service would either not work (service not responding), or I would get to the downloading part, stay there several minutes, and then get "connection interrupted." The Phone Connection page now has a last attempt time, and then reads "Last staus: Failed Service not answering."

Also, my Tivo restarted itself twice during CSI and once during Without a Trace last night (SIGH).

I'm going to start KS58 before I go to work today, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. I guess I'm to the point now where I'm either going to have to buy a new hard drive and/or a new modem from Weaknees. Which do you think I should start with? I don't want to get rid of the unit because they don't make units with free Tivo Basic anymore, and I love that feature. Thanks again!!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #27
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumkid222
Richard, in response to your question, I have a Tivo Series 2. I tried updating the program, I tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in, and I have tried the kickstarts. Nothing really seems to be helping? I think my next step has to be to contact Tivo Customer Support. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!

Samantha
Sorry to hear that your TiVo's still not doing well. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

BTW, only my mother called me “Richard”…and only when I was very, very bad!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #28
richsadams

Quote:
Here's my latest update: I ran KS57 yesterday (I haven't run KS58 yet). I also talked to Weaknees, who suggested using a code (,#019 or ,#096) to slow down my modem. When I did this, I was actually able to have a successful "Test phone connection." But connecting to the Tivo service would either not work (service not responding), or I would get to the downloading part, stay there several minutes, and then get "connection interrupted." The Phone Connection page now has a last attempt time, and then reads "Last staus: Failed Service not answering."

Also, my Tivo restarted itself twice during CSI and once during Without a Trace last night (SIGH).

I'm going to start KS58 before I go to work today, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. I guess I'm to the point now where I'm either going to have to buy a new hard drive and/or a new modem from Weaknees. Which do you think I should start with? I don't want to get rid of the unit because they don't make units with free Tivo Basic anymore, and I love that feature. Thanks again!!
If KS58 doesn't help it would be a tough call between the modem and HDD. It sounds more like a modem problem, but really hard to say. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

You might also check ebay and craigslist.com for a replacement unit. TiVo's w/basic show up now and then and some broken ones appear that you might be able to use for parts. You might be able to pop your HDD in another box to save your recordings.

Best of luck and when/if you do get it sorted out it would be interesting to hear what you find out.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #29
bsmorgan

I ran the Clear Program Information and To Do List. It ran for about an hour or so, then the Tivo restarted. It loaded new program guide, but has not updated from v.8.3. When should this occur? And when it tried to restart, it said Tivo has a major problem and will take 3 hours to attempt to fix. It did whatever repair it tried, then was running again in 15 minutes. When I look at To Do List, it was never removed. (These are manual selections, since I use the Basic Tivo). Any ideas?
bsmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #30
jrm01

Rich,

My old S2 ST has some HDD problems. It has not been able to install 9.1 software. It just stays at Pending Restart. When I restart the tivo it says that it is installing the software, but it never does. TiVo CSR turned on logging for my TiVo and indicated HDD errors.

I tried KS 57 and it didn't help. I decided to try KS 58, and now I am in a loop of Powering Up, Almost There, GSOD and back to Powering UP - continuous loop. It did that for four hours. Each cycle only takes 5 minutes. Is this how it does the "multiple passes" that you mentioned?

I gave up after 4 hours and tried o do another KS 57, but now I am just in the endless loop. Any suggestions?
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote