TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2007, 11:05 PM   #2551
captainjrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Gonna use Slicer to go to 6.3e on one of my HR10-250s that's constantly rebooting and had a question. IIRC, someone once said that the instructions in The Slicer weren't exactly correct--something about not having to do the symlinks command or something.

Does anyone have the step-by-step instructions for using The Slicer after the slices have been installed? I'm basically looking to confirm what's exactly done after The Slicer runs.
I'm looking to do the same thing for the same reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
captainjrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #2552
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjrl
I'm looking to do the same thing for the same reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.dvrplayground.com/article/13324/
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:43 AM   #2553
incog-neato
ObamaGuy

I did that, but every time I run tweak.sh it still insists on downloading the newest update (which was the one previous to the latest one).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
if you used the Zipper, you can pull it off of there. The TWP distro included with the enhancement script hasn't changed in several months, so I doubt it would make a difference if you rolled back to an earlier version.

incog-neato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #2554
captainjrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
I don't see the slices in my SwSystem directory. Any idea how to get them there?
captainjrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #2555
richr69

I zippered my R10 using Zipper 1.7b awhile ago. The TWP in that version of the zipper is something like 1.3 or so (I don't remember). How do I update the TWP to the latest version found on the latest Zipper.
richr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #2556
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Just out of curiosity, does it matter which version of The Slicer we use? I have Slicer6.3a and wish to slice from 6.3a to 6.3e.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #2557
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by incog-neato
I did that, but every time I run tweak.sh it still insists on downloading the newest update (which was the one previous to the latest one).
If you put it in the same directory as tweak.sh, it will skip the download.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #2558
rbautch
User

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, does it matter which version of The Slicer we use? I have Slicer6.3a and wish to slice from 6.3a to 6.3e.
I think you mean version 1.3a. Should work fine if your adapter uses stock drivers, or you copy your backported drivers manually. I don't think they added the feature that automatically copies backported drivers until a later version.

or

Old 11-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #2559
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

10-4. Thanks.

BTW, check your PM. I didn't want to clutter this thread with that question.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #2560
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richr69
I zippered my R10 using Zipper 1.7b awhile ago. The TWP in that version of the zipper is something like 1.3 or so (I don't remember). How do I update the TWP to the latest version found on the latest Zipper.
Running tweak.sh will get you caught up with the latest version from the Zipper. However this is not guaranteed to be latest version of TWP.

or

Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #2561
katiebear00

Quote:
Gonna use Slicer to go to 6.3e on one of my HR10-250s that's constantly rebooting and had a question. IIRC, someone once said that the instructions in The Slicer weren't exactly correct--something about not having to do the symlinks command or something.

Does anyone have the step-by-step instructions for using The Slicer after the slices have been installed? I'm basically looking to confirm what's exactly done after The Slicer runs.
Not true. Just run the slicer to go to 6.3e. It worked fine for me on my Zippered HR10-250.
katiebear00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #2562
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Thanks. BTW, do you recommend I re-do the hacks (encryption, 30-second, etc.) BEFORE I reboot?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #2563
katiebear00

Quote:
Thanks. BTW, do you recommend I re-do the hacks (encryption, 30-second, etc.) BEFORE I reboot?
No. It's best to run the enhancement script on it after it reboots.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #2564
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

OK, it's rebooting now. Slicer went fine. I just hope I didn't lose bash. I remember losing bash on another such unit months back. Had to serial in to do anything.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #2565
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebear00
No. It's best to run the enhancement script on it after it reboots.
F@#$!

It rebooted, and as feared, I lost all bash access. Tried to serial in and now THAT won't even connect! I've tried all the various baud rates with TeraTermPro. Any suggestions?

If I could at least get serial bash I can manually run tweak and upload rbautch's files into the same directory as tweak.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #2566
Soapm

Just zipper again, you'll be all set.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #2567
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

But can I do that without losing all my recordings and stuff?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #2568
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

What's really irritating me more than anything else now is that going to 6.3e is supposed to stop all these damn reboots. In the three hours since I Sliced to 6.3e, this thing has rebooted 7 times, messing up several recordings!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #2569
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
But can I do that without losing all my recordings and stuff?
I'd assume so. Doesn't it ask if there are recordings you want to keep? You can easily rehack the box without hurting any recordings, as long as you don't reimage, and the existing recordings are not scrambled and you don't disturb the diskconfig key.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #2570
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

I think you're right. It's been so long since I last zippered a drive, that I easily forget.

Either I'm getting old or I got too involved in my HR20-700 DVRs.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #2571
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
...or I got too involved in my HR20-700 DVRs.
Traitor!

No not really. They are actually decent boxes once you get used to them.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #2572
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

I'm one of those who still uses both. I still have multiple HR10-250s working and don't intend to dismiss them outright.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #2573
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Interesting...I used The Slicer to go to 6.3e. The script ran and gave me a response that it was successful in loading the 6.3e slices. However, the information screen on the HR10-250 says my software is version 6.3a. Also, I jusrt rezippered the drive successfully, and when running Zipper then tweak, both mentioned during their running that I have "version 6.3a". If Slicer says it was successful in loading the 6.3e slices, why is it I'm being told I'm still at 6.3a?

Edited to add that my SwSystem in MFS shows this:

Quote:

6.3a-01-2-357 tyDb 53870 11/01/07 17:31 796
6.3e-01-2-357 tyDb 1139775 11/01/07 17:31 780
ACTIVE tyDb 53870 11/01/07 17:31 796
I noticed this IS different from what it was before I Sliced to 6.3e.

Last edited by Lord Vader : 11-02-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #2574
katiebear00

Quote:
Interesting...I used The Slicer to go to 6.3e. The script ran and gave me a response that it was successful in loading the 6.3e slices. However, the information screen on the HR10-250 says my software is version 6.3a. Also, I jusrt rezippered the drive successfully, and when running Zipper then tweak, both mentioned during their running that I have "version 6.3a". If Slicer says it was successful in loading the 6.3e slices, why is it I'm being told I'm still at 6.3a?

Edited to add that my SwSystem in MFS shows this:

I noticed this IS different from what it was before I Sliced to 6.3e.
It looks like everything says you are still running 6.3a. The slicer checks to see if the slices are loaded in MFS, which they are, and then runs installSw.itcl to install the new software on your alternate partition. It looks like that never happened.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #2575
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Well, that sucks. I wonder why Slicer ended up telling me it successfully installed 6.3e.

I did notice, FWIW, that following the Slicer install and responses, when my unit rebooted, the message on the screen said "updating new software," or something like that. I wouldn't think it would do that if it remained at the same version, but I can be wrong.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #2576
incog-neato
ObamaGuy

It sure seems like you still have "A"

6.3a-01-2-357 tyDb 53870 11/01/07 17:31 796
6.3e-01-2-357 tyDb 1139775 11/01/07 17:31 780
ACTIVE tyDb 53870 11/01/07 17:31 796

If you had a "pending restart" message in system info or phone it might have "upgraded" itself BACK to A. I had that happen a while back. In fact, each time I sliced the next day it went BACK to the previous version. There was a patch for that somewhere on DDB which worked for me.

Edit: Found it - //www.d-e-a-l-d-a-t-a-b-a-s-e.com/forum/showpost.php?p=271411&postcount=1149 (obviously remove the dashes)

Quote:
Well, that sucks. I wonder why Slicer ended up telling me it successfully installed 6.3e.

I did notice, FWIW, that following the Slicer install and responses, when my unit rebooted, the message on the screen said "updating new software," or something like that. I wouldn't think it would do that if it remained at the same version, but I can be wrong.

incog-neato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #2577
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

I just may leave it at 6.3a and see if it still suffers from these constant reboots. If it does, then I'll try to fiddle with it again. I wish there was a way to remove the 6.3a software and leave 6.3e as the only one to work with. But that'd be too easy, wouldn't it?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #2578
katiebear00

Quote:

If it said "installing the service update" then it should have installed the new software.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #2579
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

One would think, but I believe incog is right, as he pointed to what was "active" in my setup. But as I said, I'll monitor it and see if the reboots continue. I've programmed some recordings tonight on CBS, which seems to be the common denominator in these weird reboots.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #2580
Soapm

I wonder if you can slice again since 6.3e is still on the alternate partition?

Edited to correct version to 6.3e

Last edited by Soapm : 11-03-2007 at 12:52 PM.